*Official* Google Chromecast AUDIO owners thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #751 of 886 Old 01-11-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Does anybody else on here have problems with 24/96 files?

The power cycle I mentioned a couple posts above was only a temporary fix. I bought a spare/extra over the Holidays and its having the same problem...

Two things that really surprise/baffle me:
1) I'm using optical out on the misbehaving CCA; the Chromecast DAC is being bypassed.
2) I've got 4 CCAs grouped into a whole-home-setup. The only one experiencing drop-outs (only with 24/96 files; everything else is working fine) is the one closest to (~5 feet) the router. All other CCA's have to go through at least one floor or exterior wall (for the patio CCA) and work as well with 24/96 as they do all other (lower bitrate) files I own/cast...

I just ordered new cables and mini-toslink connectors from a reputable source (Blue Jeans Cable), thinking it was a faulty mini-toslink adapter... doesn't appear to have fixed the problem.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

-tim
I have the issue. Did you check to see if the CCA with the issue is on different firmware release from others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 886 Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1704 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgertastic View Post
I have the issue. Did you check to see if the CCA with the issue is on different firmware release from others?
I did not. I did, however, order the Ethernet adapter recommended to me by another poster on the last page. It should be arriving within a few days... Now that I know that it's:
A) Not that specific CCA (my "new"/spare one does it too)
B) Not a wiring/cabling/adapter issue (I ordered a new optical cable and mini-toslink adapter from BlueJeans)

...I'm hopefull/optimistic that the ethernet/adapter will fix the issue.
post #753 of 886 Old 01-11-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In other (potentially old?) news, confirmation that CCA is in fact discontinued...

https://9to5google.com/2019/01/11/go...omecast-audio/

... and non-wealthy (or just value-appreciating) quality-audio-appreciating music lovers everywhere weep.

I hate modern-consumer-music-consumption trends.

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h w/ Marantz MM7055; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Polk Monitor 35B Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 & LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Kplisch RP-600m L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA, Pi running Ropieee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 886 Old 01-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I did not. I did, however, order the Ethernet adapter recommended to me by another poster on the last page. It should be arriving within a few days... Now that I know that it's:
A) Not that specific CCA (my "new"/spare one does it too)
B) Not a wiring/cabling/adapter issue (I ordered a new optical cable and mini-toslink adapter from BlueJeans)

...I'm hopefull/optimistic that the ethernet/adapter will fix the issue.
I’ve tried Ethernet adapter. Didn’t fix issue for me. Also tried different optical cables.

Pull the optical cable out, and watch the red light coming from CCA.. you’ll see it blink v.briefly - causing the dropout.

Users in other forums are saying there’s were working fine until a firmware update introduced the issue. Some issues date back 6 months.

I also have dropout when using analog connection too.
post #755 of 886 Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
In other (potentially old?) news, confirmation that CCA is in fact discontinued...

https://9to5google.com/2019/01/11/go...omecast-audio/

... and non-wealthy (or just value-appreciating) quality-audio-appreciating music lovers everywhere weep.

I hate modern-consumer-music-consumption trends.

I have a Visio soundbar with CC built in, but it's a speaker system without a mic and no screen, so wouldn't that make it 'Chromecast Audio' built in?
I'm glad I have a CCA already to use with my mini stereo in the bedroom that has an audio input.
Also, I would have more GA enabled audio devices if they made more with stereo sound instead of mono (passive radiators are, well.. passive) and didn't cost $400.
post #756 of 886 Old 01-15-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The plot thickens:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Have you tried hardwired rather than WiFi? In case you did not know, an adapter will be needed for a hardwired connection as seen here.
My "ethernet adapter" arrived today. I'm disappointed to report that this did not fix my problem.

24/96 files still dropout at this one installation (my basement AVR), with or without the ethernet.

The other 3 installations continue to not have dropout problems with 24/96 files over Wifi.

I'm able to plug a different (5th, currently not-in-use spare purchased for $15 this holiday season before Google officially pulled the plug) CCA in and get the same result down here in the basement.

I can then stop playback and flip to a 24/44.1 file and it will play back without dropout, on either the regular ("basement CCA") or the spare CCA.

I'm going to plug the spare in on my main living room rig and try that next... the only thing I can think of now is power quality...? I'm not sure that makes sense, but I'm desperate/reaching at straws now... I do have a lot of gear plugged into this one belkin power strip down here... nothing else seems to be misbehaving/acting as if I'm having some sort of problem with this, but I suppose one device might have to be the most finicky/sensitive, and maybe a CCA happens to be the most sensitive device on the strip? Still, doesn't make much sense to me that all of my other content/use-case (24/44.1 flac purchases, 16/44.1 FLAC rips, 320 kbps MP3 rips, 256 kbps VBR MP3 purchases, and Google Play Music "streaming") works-without-dropout, *only* the 24/96 causes me problems, and the problem is somehow A/C power and not data related...

Edit/Update:
I can "mess up a good thing" by disconnecting a well-functioning CCA (the one in my Living Room, for example).
My Living Room CCA was working pretty flawlessly for 24/96.
I unplugged it and put my spare in, and suffered the same dropouts I am experiencing in the basement.
I unplugged the spare and put my main Living Room CCA back in and had all dropout problems.
I disconnected it and reconnected it and disconnected it and reconnected it and over-and-over-and-over and had dropout problems.
Finally, on the last attempt here, the dropout problems *appear* to have gone away.

Working theory: how the miniTOSLINK connector is in contact with the CCA seems to really matter? Also doesn't make much sense to me for a digital signal like this (typically go/no-go)... but that's what I just experienced. A quick unplug and replug makes a piece of equipment that wasn't dropping out drop-out, and only after number unplugs and replugs do I get a good firm connection and the problem goes away again. "Good as new."

Quote:
Quote:
I’ve tried Ethernet adapter. Didn’t fix issue for me. Also tried different optical cables.

Pull the optical cable out, and watch the red light coming from CCA.. you’ll see it blink v.briefly - causing the dropout.

Users in other forums are saying there’s were working fine until a firmware update introduced the issue. Some issues date back 6 months.

I also have dropout when using analog connection too.
I checked the firmware details within the Home app; all 5 of my CCAs are on the same firmware (1.36.141215). The problem/dropouts with 24/96 content are only happening to me in this one location (in the basement, a few feet from my router, with or without the ethernet adapter), appear to occur whether I:
- Switch the CCA out for a different one
- Switch the Optical cable out for a different one (from Blue Jeans Cable, fwiw)
- Switch the mini-toslink-adapter out for a different one (also from Blue Jeans Cable)

The only thing that I haven't tried to flip out yet, involved in this chain/system, that I can think of, is the power strip....?

Last edited by psuKinger; 01-15-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #757 of 886 Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Have you tried creating the Chromecast group using the basement CCA & then attaching the other CCAs to that group?

The theory is that the CCA you create the group with is the 'master' or lead Chromecast device, ie, it's the only one that receives the audio file stream from the local network (your own music) or online server (internet radio or music streaming service). It then supplies the other '(slave') CCAs in the group with the audio file stream, with the addition of its own 'master Chromecast time' reference - allowing the 'slave' CCAs to perform audio sync.

Given that the 'master' CCA would be the one using the network the most, it would make sense to attach it to the wired portion of the network (as your basement CCA now is), so as to not further burden a possibly already stressed wireless portion of the network.

Last edited by Cebolla; 01-16-2019 at 01:31 AM.
post #758 of 886 Old 01-16-2019, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
Have you tried creating the Chromecast group using the basement CCA & then attaching the other CCAs to that group?

The theory is that the CCA you create the group with is the 'master' or lead Chromecast device, ie, it's the only one that receives the audio file stream from the local network (your own music) or online server (internet radio or music streaming service). It then supplies the other '(slave') CCAs in the group with the audio file stream, with the addition of its own 'master Chromecast time' reference - allowing the 'slave' CCAs to perform audio sync.

Given that the 'master' CCA would be the one using the network the most, it would make sense to attach it to the wired portion of the network (as your basement CCA now is), so as to not further burden a possibly already stressed wireless portion of the network.
I have not. And I'll try (almost) anything, so thank you for the suggestion.

That said, this not only occurs while casting "to the group", but it also if I select to cast ONLY to the basement...
post #759 of 886 Old 01-16-2019, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
I have not. And I'll try (almost) anything, so thank you for the suggestion.

That said, this not only occurs while casting "to the group", but it also if I select to cast ONLY to the basement...

Since it is only in the basement no matter what CCA you use, maybe it is the amp/AVR? Can you try that amp/AVR in a different location to see if the problem comes with it? (or bring another to the basement and try it)
Cebolla likes this.
post #760 of 886 Old 01-16-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
Since it is only in the basement no matter what CCA you use, maybe it is the amp/AVR? Can you try that amp/AVR in a different location to see if the problem comes with it? (or bring another to the basement and try it)
I think I'm going to give that a try. I'll add it to my list of troubleshooting options.

I also ordered a new mini toslink adapter from monoprice (the kind I have up in the living room; not the one I have from BlueJeans in the basement).

I know that post a few above is very long/rambling, but what happened last night after i posted (and edited/updated) involved:
- Being able to "create" the problem in the living room, where there previously was no problem, simply by unplugging the CCA and then trying to plug it back in to both the power and the Optical cable.
- I had to disconnect and reconnect MANY times before I could make the dropouts go away.
- But eventually, (best I can tell) I found a way to get the optical cable/adapter to "seat"/"contact" inside the CCA in a way that made the dropouts go away and returned my Living Room rig to a "no dropouts" situation.

This doesn't make sense to me, as (at least in my experience) digital signals are typically closer to "go/no-go". It's either connected and the 1's and 0's are passing or it isn't. But it is what I experienced last night; I could take a rig/setup/CCA that was working properly, and simply by disconnecting it and attempting to reconnect, I could recreate the audio dropouts (on 24/96 content only; 24/44.1 and below all continued to play properly, just as I've been experiencing in the basement). And I was eventually able to make it go away by just being persistent with disconnecting-and-reconnecting; pause to listen; disconnect-and-reconnect; pause to listen; etc.

My plan is to (not necessarily in order):
1) Try to disconnect/reconnect the basement CCA *a lot more* to see if I can eventually "fix" it the way I did the Living Room
2) Try the new TOSLINK MINI adapter I just ordered
3) Create a "new" audio group where the Basement CCA (on the ethernet) is added to the group first.
4) Try the Basement AVR elsewhere
5) Just downsample all of my 24/96 files to 24/48 using an AVS software "Suite" I have a license for. It cranks out the 24/48 flacs from 24/96 very quickly, which gives me some confidence that no transcoding is being done and it's just deleting 50% of the samples... I know this might be a controversial topic and "OT" for the CCA thread, but I personally bought the 24/96 albums I bought for A) the 24-bits moreso than the 96,000 samples-per-second and/or B) the "hi-rez" version appears to have a better-mastered-version than the 16/44.1 CD (more dynamic range). Maybe I'll just knock everything down to 24/48 and be done with it...
post #761 of 886 Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
5) Just downsample all of my 24/96 files to 24/48 using an AVS software "Suite" I have a license for. It cranks out the 24/48 flacs from 24/96 very quickly, which gives me some confidence that no transcoding is being done and it's just deleting 50% of the samples...
Can't see how the FLAC files won't need to be decoded (& re-encoded back to FLAC after downsampling) by the resampling software, given that FLAC, though lossless, is a compressed format. It's unlikely to be a straight forward process (if not impossible) to delete a FLAC file's audio samples without decompressing first by decoding to LPCM. Also, just removing half the samples would likely introduce aliasing distortion, so a decent resampler would apply an appropriate anti-aliasing (lowpass) filter before removing the samples.

So may be the software just uses very efficient algorithms to help it quickly perform the downsampling - plus the hardware having a decent enough number crunching processor to begin with helps. Which is why some media servers have built-in transcoders that work very well for resampling, so no need even to alter the original audio files at all. Resampling is done on the fly, to the file data stream being sent over the network to the streamer.

What method are you using to cast your FLAC files to the CCAs? Couldn't you just use (if you are using a media server) your media server's transcoder to do the downsampling?

Last edited by Cebolla; 01-17-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #762 of 886 Old 01-17-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
Can't see how the FLAC files won't need to be decoded (& re-encoded back to FLAC after downsampling) by the resampling software, given that FLAC, though lossless, is a compressed format. It's unlikely to be a straight forward process (if not impossible) to delete a FLAC file's audio samples without decompressing first by decoding to LPCM. Also, just removing half the samples would likely introduce aliasing distortion, so a decent resampler would apply an appropriate anti-aliasing (lowpass) filter before removing the samples.

So may be the software just uses very efficient algorithms to help it quickly perform the downsampling - plus the hardware having a decent enough number crunching processor to begin with helps. Which is why some media servers have built-in transcoders that work very well for resampling, so no need even to alter the original audio files at all. Resampling is done on the fly, to the file data stream being sent over the network to the streamer.

What method are you using to cast your FLAC files to the CCAs? Couldn't you just use (if you are using a media server) your media server's transcoder to do the downsampling?
Interesting. Thanks for the tip/insight. Aliasing and resampling is NOT appealing to me... the whole process just happens so quickly (haven't timed it... maybe somewhere between 1.5 and 3 seconds per track) that I just hoped it was somehow efficiently removing 50% of the samples... I'm not doubting you. I admittedly don't *know* how the process would/should work...

I use AVS4You's Audio Converter software, and I run it on a pretty decent desktop I built in early 2017 (i7-6700k skylake quad core CPU, a big oversized Noctua cooler, an oversized power supply, 16 gigs of snazzy Corsair Vengeance RAM, a 6 GB Nvidia 1060 GPU, and a 250 gig samsung SSD hard drive for the OS and EXE's), that I keep "pretty clean/minimal" by not doing a lot else on it other than just acting as my Plex Media Server and Steam Server, and ripping Blu Rays (MakeMKV) and CDs (Exact Audio Copy) to file for the Plex Server....

The Plex Media Server is what I use to access and cast my FLAC files to CCA.

Last edited by psuKinger; 01-17-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #763 of 886 Old 01-18-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To add to Cebolla's insightfull comments, The FLAC decoding and encoding is actually the irrellevent part of the process. FLAC will losslessly store whatever you ask it to. The down-sampling would (or should) be no different than downsampling an original WAV file. The question is, how does your software downsample? There is no reason the result should be worse or different than having you server do it on the fly.
psuKinger likes this.
post #764 of 886 Old 01-18-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To add to Cebolla's insightfull comments, The FLAC decoding and encoding is actually the irrellevent part of the process. FLAC will losslessly store whatever you ask it to. The down-sampling would (or should) be no different than downsampling an original WAV file. The question is, how does your software downsample? There is no reason the result should be worse or different than having you server do it on the fly.
Good insight, appreciate that. That's going to be my fallback "worst-case" situation. I'm going to *try* to get this fixed/addressed without that, but we'll see.

I spent some more time with this last night, and I'm becoming more-and-more convinced that it has to do with how the mini-toslink adapter "seats" within the CCA. I now have the same problem in the main living room that I did in the basement, because I messed with it rather than leaving well-enough-alone (the Loft CCA still works without-error over Optical out, and the Patio CC is still working without error via Aux Out).

Does anyone have a recommendation on a toslink-to-mini-toslink cable or optical cable and mini-toslink adapter they've had good luck with? I traditionally don't put much stock in digital cabling, and think that's almost always snake oil... but I'm not sure this is the cable so much as it is how well the adapter fits/sits within the CCA.

I can cause the dropouts to occur manually by simply applying a little bit of pressure left/right/up/down where the adapter connects to the CCA.
post #765 of 886 Old 01-18-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^I have some trouble with my TV TOSLink connector at that back of my AVR being a bit loose, it will pull out just enough to kill the connection, I have to jiggle it occasionally after I move my AVR. It hasn't been a recurring problem but if it was I'd probably try a different connector or add a bit of tape to the flat side of the "D" to see if that helped it stay seated.

I've had no issues where the TOSLINK adapter fits in my one CCA connected that way.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 01-18-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #766 of 886 Old 01-19-2019, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally had some time to play. I tried to buy a CCA last week but there are none to be had. This was a problem since my old Yamaha 2095 doesn’t have HDMI inputs. I finally settled on a CC3 over the CCU since my PJ is only 1080P. I waited a tad too long.

For the connection I used an HDMI switch/audio isolator and then used the optical output to the old receiver. For the initial setup, I plugged the CC directly into the Optoma PJ, ran the setup using an IPad mini and then transferred the CC to the audio isolator. This receiver is audio only with speakers ran to the sun porch.

The second (gen 2) CC is plugged directly into a Yamaha 3080 receiver.

The CC’s are on a Netgear Orbi WiFi system. All other network connections are hardwired through a 1 GB switch.

Initially, I couldn’t get the group setup to recognize the new CC3. It worked as advertised in every other metric.
I then restarted the CC3. Problem solved. I setup a group of the CC gen 3 and the CC gen 2. Played Pandora flawlessly through both in perfect synchrony without adjustment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #767 of 886 Old 01-22-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
The Chromecast Audio devices are now Roon capable.

I've been playing around with it the last couple days, and I've been getting excellent results.

The thing I like the best is how I can seamlessly play my high resolution collection and Tidal (including MQA core decoding) and set it up so that everything is maxed out at 96/24 to take advantage of the resolution of the CCA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
It's also possible to play different content of different systems simultaneously. It's fantastic, I love using Roon!
A couple questions regarding using Roon with CCA:

1) Can you tell Roon to *not* send 24/96 files to CCA? If I'm having problems with 24/96 playback via CCA, but it's working with other devices on my network (like Roon-supported OPPO UDP-203), can I configure roon to transcode 24/96 to 24/48 for my CCAs but still send 24/96 to my OPPO UDP-203?

2) I know the Roon Chromecast support page (https://kb.roonlabs.com/Chromecast) indicates that "due to hardware limitations, Chromecast devices can not be grouped with other, non-Chromecast devices outside of the Google Home app. "

Per your above statement, are you able to cast to a "chromecast group" and a "Roon Ready" group in parallel? Even the same file? Because they can't be grouped together, per the link, does this create an audio-sync issue that is difficult to overcome?
post #768 of 886 Old 01-24-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question for CCA owners who aren't having problems with casting 24/96 files:
Can you share what firmware you're on? I'm on 1.36.141215 with all five of mine...

I don't appear to be alone with this 24/96 stuttering problem, FWIW:
https://support.google.com/chromecas...d/356030?hl=en

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/chr...pouts/47890/94

Last edited by psuKinger; 01-24-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #769 of 886 Old 01-24-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FWI, I was just able to purchase 2 CCAs from the Google store. $15 ea plus tax and shipping.
post #770 of 886 Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
FWI, I was just able to purchase 2 CCAs from the Google store. $15 ea plus tax and shipping.

Thanks for the heads up. Just picked up a couple for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #771 of 886 Old 01-25-2019, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Question for CCA owners who aren't having problems with casting 24/96 files:
Can you share what firmware you're on? I'm on 1.36.141215 with all five of mine...
No problems with the same firmware on my CCAs. Using the BubbleUPnP Android app for control, with 24/96kHz files provided by a UPnP/DLNA media server (MinimServer) - all transcoding switched off.

Also no problems casting the same 24/96kHz files from the Logitech Media Server (requires the Chromecast bridge LMS plugin installed & configured), using LMS's built-in web browser controller app - again all transcoding switched off.

Quote:
The Plex Media Server is what I use to access and cast my FLAC files to CCA.
Ah, probably not the best media server to mess about with transcoding. It might be worth you giving LMS a try, as that can be set to transcode FLAC files to a lower sample rate FLAC, so can be set to transcode all FLAC files above 24/48kHz to 24/48kHz FLAC.

MinimServer has also got a decent transcoder, but it doesn't have the option to convert back to FLAC - so a similar setting would transcode all FLAC files above 24/48kHz to 24/48kHz WAV (not FLAC). Of course this isn't a problem as far as audio quality is concerned, but uncompressed WAV file will contain more data than compressed FLAC so something to bear in mind if your WiFi is having bandwidth issues. MinimServer being a bog standard UPnP media server would also require you to use a UPnP/DLNA controller app that has Google Cast support, eg, BubbleUPnP, Hi-Fi Cast, mConnect Player, etc.

Last edited by Cebolla; 01-25-2019 at 03:30 AM.
post #772 of 886 Old 03-24-2019, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question:

I would like to reduce noise created by plugging the chromecast in to a battery powered portable speaker. Is there a device I can add in line to reduce the interferance noise?

Thanks,

PylonSquelch
post #773 of 886 Old 03-25-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 821
What are you guys using to feed audio to your Chromecasts? I have one that I bought at release that I never really used.

I am hearing talk of FLAC so I assume it's more than just streaming Spotify from a phone.

I have my audio library on a windows PC using Jriver.

Any ideas an easy way to send music to the chrome cast that doesn't involve sitting at the PC?
post #774 of 886 Old 03-25-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
What are you guys using to feed audio to your Chromecasts?
Use Chromecast Audio with many Android mobile apps including Amazon Music, Google Music, BubbleUPnP, Hearts of Space, etc., any app that can cast and some that can not by using the Local Cast app. BubbleUPnP can play from DLNA devices, don’t know about shares. BubbleUPnP can cast to the CCA or render to any rendering device on your LAN.

I rarely use the CCA because my Yamaha AVP has many built-in apps and the Oppo 203 is a good media player.
post #775 of 886 Old 03-25-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Use Chromecast Audio with many Android mobile apps including Amazon Music, Google Music, BubbleUPnP, Hearts of Space, etc., any app that can cast and some that can not by using the Local Cast app. BubbleUPnP can play from DLNA devices, don’t know about shares. BubbleUPnP can cast to the CCA or render to any rendering device on your LAN.

I rarely use the CCA because my Yamaha AVP has many built-in apps and the Oppo 203 is a good media player.
So basically using the phone as the control?
post #776 of 886 Old 03-25-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What are you guys using to feed audio to your Chromecasts? I have one that I bought at release that I never really used.

I am hearing talk of FLAC so I assume it's more than just streaming Spotify from a phone.

I have my audio library on a windows PC using Jriver.

Any ideas an easy way to send music to the chrome cast that doesn't involve sitting at the PC?

I rarely use the PC to drive my CCA groups. It's almost all done from my phone.

I have music streaming service subscriptions with both Google Play Music and Qobuz. They both support Google Cast, so I can cast from the respective apps on my phone. Other streaming subscriptions support this as well. I used Tidal in this way over Christmas break while on free-trial. I'm fairly certain Spotify has built-in Google Cast support as well.

For my local FLAC file library, I run Plex Media Server and Roon Core on an always-on Win10 desktop, with the Plex and Roon apps (for control) installed on my phone. Plex supports Google Cast (same as GPM and Qobuz), and Roon has their nifty "zones" feature that allows the phone to act as the remote. Roon basically "fixed" all the 24/96 stutter/awfulness I was experiencing with the current firmware version that I detailed up above; I told Roon to downsample all multiples of 44.1 and 48 khz to 44.1 and 48 khz, and everything just plays back as-intended now... which sure is nice.
post #777 of 886 Old 03-25-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I rarely use the PC to drive my CCA groups. It's almost all done from my phone.

I have music streaming service subscriptions with both Google Play Music and Qobuz. They both support Google Cast, so I can cast from the respective apps on my phone. Other streaming subscriptions support this as well. I used Tidal in this way over Christmas break while on free-trial. I'm fairly certain Spotify has built-in Google Cast support as well.

For my local FLAC file library, I run Plex Media Server and Roon Core on an always-on Win10 desktop, with the Plex and Roon apps (for control) installed on my phone. Plex supports Google Cast (same as GPM and Qobuz), and Roon has their nifty "zones" feature that allows the phone to act as the remote. Roon basically "fixed" all the 24/96 stutter/awfulness I was experiencing with the current firmware version that I detailed up above; I told Roon to downsample all multiples of 44.1 and 48 khz to 44.1 and 48 khz, and everything just plays back as-intended now... which sure is nice.
Thanks. I have looked at roon before. Pretty pricey. Everyone wants a sub anymore. I miss the days of just buying a piece of software.

Jriver also has zones like you say roon does. I'll have to look into it thanks.
post #778 of 886 Old 03-26-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
So basically using the phone as the control?
Correct. Once you start a stream then the control device is no longer needed. I use the Media Server (DLNA) on my Synology NAS to serve all my local music (.MP3, .FLAC) and video (.TS) files. I use Inateck FE3001 cases with 4TB drives for additional media storage and they connect to the NAS via USB. The NAS and the external drives go to a sleep mode when not in use.
post #779 of 886 Old 04-02-2019, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Just picked up a couple for myself.
I wish I got the news that they were discontinued before today. I would have bought up about 50 of them and sold them at triple the price or more later.

I feel infinite
post #780 of 886 Old 04-02-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylonsquelch View Post
Question:

I would like to reduce noise created by plugging the chromecast in to a battery powered portable speaker. Is there a device I can add in line to reduce the interferance noise?

Thanks,

PylonSquelch

I had a noise problem with portable speaker which had a usb port I used to power the CCA. If I used a wall charger, or a portable usb battery pack to power the CCA instead , no noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page