*Official* Google Chromecast AUDIO owners thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #781 of 865 Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
jumping in with a cca question.

i bought one recently, and it has no issues when streaming google music/spotify, etc; but when i try to cast flac files (24/96, or redbook, via vlc) it sucks. there are dropouts and clicks that make it useless.

can anyone point me in the direction as to how to fix this?

i recently moved, and can no longer have a toslink cable running from a nearby laptop to my receiver. it looks like something called bubbleupnp is the best solution, as foobar is my weapon of choice, as far as audio player is concerned.

i also have a regular cc, but it looks like that doesn't support hi res audio.

thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 865 Old 04-04-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post

i bought one recently, and it has no issues when streaming google music/spotify, etc; but when i try to cast flac files (24/96, or redbook, via vlc) it sucks. there are dropouts and clicks that make it useless.

i recently moved, and can no longer have a toslink cable running from a nearby laptop to my receiver. it looks like something called bubbleupnp is the best solution, as foobar is my weapon of choice, as far as audio player is concerned.

i also have a regular cc, but it looks like that doesn't support hi res audio.

thanks for any help.
It's a known problem related to firmware. It didn't use to happen. It only happens with 96 khz and 88.2 khz content; 24/44.1 and 24/48 should stream without dropouts.

I made extensive efforts to fix this myself, as documented in the previous pages. I concluded that their is NO FIX until Google rolls out a new firmware. My fix for now? I configured Roon to downsample all multiples of 44.1 and 48 khz to 24/44.1 and 24/48.

Sucks.
post #783 of 865 Old 04-05-2019, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
It's a known problem related to firmware. It didn't use to happen. It only happens with 96 khz and 88.2 khz content; 24/44.1 and 24/48 should stream without dropouts.

I made extensive efforts to fix this myself, as documented in the previous pages. I concluded that their is NO FIX until Google rolls out a new firmware.
Are your Chromecast Audios still on that old 1.36.141215 firmware you mentioned that you were having those problems with?

All 4 of my Chromecast Audios have updated to version 1.37.146679 - mind you I had no such problems streaming 96 kHz and 88.2 kHz content with that old firmware and continue not to!

BTW, @dmoss74 mentions having "drop outs and clicks" casting redbook (ie, normal CD-res 16/44.1kHz) FLAC files, not just 24/96kHz ones - specifically via the VLC media player software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 865 Old 04-05-2019, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's possible it may be a VLC problem, as Chromecast support has only relatively recently been added with introduction of VLC version 3.0 at the end of last year - make sure you're using the latest version of VLC.

Otherwise, it could be your CCA is on an older firmware version as @psuKinger suggests, or poor WiFi reception where you're using the CCA, or may be you're really unfortunate and have a faulty CCA.

Quote:
Indeed - you can run the BubbleUPnP Server helper application on the same Windows computer as foobar2000 and configure the BubbleUPnP Server to create a DLNA renderer for the CCA - provides the UPnP/DLNA to Chromecast bridge to get around the problem of Chromecast (aka Google Cast) streaming being incompatible with industry standard UPnP/DLNA streaming.
https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbl...er/#googlecast

This will then allow you to use foobar2000's foo_out_upnp plugin to get the CCA to network stream fb2k's audio output, by giving you the option to select the CCA as a UPnP audio output device.
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_upnp

Last edited by Cebolla; 04-05-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #785 of 865 Old 04-05-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
Are your Chromecast Audios still on that old 1.36.141215 firmware you mentioned that you were having those problems with?

All 4 of my Chromecast Audios have updated to version 1.37.146679 - mind you I had no such problems streaming 96 kHz and 88.2 kHz content with that old firmware and continue not to!

BTW, @dmoss74 mentions having "drop outs and clicks" casting redbook (ie, normal CD-res 16/44.1kHz) FLAC files, not just 24/96kHz ones - specifically via the VLC media player software.
Beta firmware 1.37.145350 works pretty much flawlessly for more. 2 of my 4 CCA's are on that, and those two work pretty much as they should.
Unfortunately, I didn't fully understand this problem, nor did I understand Google's irregular updating manner, until beta 1.37.145350 was replaced by 1.37.146679 before I realized that 1.37.145350, worked as well as it does, so I took my other two that remained on 1.36.141215 to 1.37.146679 (because I could no longer get 1.37.145350) and unfortunately the problem persists on 1.37.146679... so I took those two back to 1.36.141215 and am waiting/hoping Google will fix this....
post #786 of 865 Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
It's possible it may be a VLC problem, as Chromecast support has only relatively recently been added with introduction of VLC version 3.0 at the end of last year - make sure you're using the latest version of VLC.

Otherwise, it could be your CCA is on an older firmware version as @psuKinger suggests, or poor WiFi reception where your using the CCA, or may be you're really unfortunate and have a faulty CCA.

Indeed - you can run the BubbleUPnP Server helper application on the same Windows computer as foobar2000 and configure the BubbleUPnP Server to create a DLNA renderer for the CCA - provides the UPnP/DLNA to Chromecast bridge to get around the problem of Chromecast (aka Google Cast) streaming being incompatible with industry standard UPnP/DLNA streaming.
https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbl...er/#googlecast

This will then allow you to use foobar2000's foo_out_upnp plugin to get the CCA to network stream fb2k's audio output, by giving you the option to select the CCA as a UPnP audio output device.
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_upnp
thanks for this info. this will probably be the route i will have to go.

i just bought the cca off ebay a week or so ago. how do i check the firmware? and alas, i may indeed have a faulty cca. it does work fine with spotify/google music, etc, but the idea is to get the 24/96 files to play, too.

no network issues. the same computer setup worked just fine, substituting a little headphone dac i have (with toslink output). no hiccups, no dropouts.
post #787 of 865 Old 04-05-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i just bought the cca off ebay a week or so ago. how do i check the firmware? and alas, i may indeed have a faulty cca. it does work fine with spotify/google music, etc, but the idea is to get the 24/96 files to play, too.

no network issues. the same computer setup worked just fine, substituting a little headphone dac i have (with toslink output). no hiccups, no dropouts.
Unless all 5 of mine (1 spare) are faulty, I think it's very likely you're struggling with the same firmware problem many others are. There are dozens of Google Forums threads on it. This is the one I follow the closest:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/356030?hl=en

Mine have no problems with MP3s, 16/44.1 Flac, 24/44.1 Flac, and 24/48 flac. It's only the files at sampling rates above 48 that won't work. And it's firmware dependent.
post #788 of 865 Old 04-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
i just bought the cca off ebay a week or so ago. how do i check the firmware?
By viewing the CCA's settings in the same Google Home app you used set it up with in the first place. See the official Chromecast firmware versions webpage, bottom section - How to check your firmware version:
Chromecast firmware versions
dmoss74 likes this.

Last edited by Cebolla; 04-06-2019 at 08:51 AM.
post #789 of 865 Old 04-07-2019, 08:43 PM

ok, i'm fully claiming noob status at this point, and need help.

i will try the foobar/bubbleupnp/cca route (for audio), but need some direction.

i have a nas--of sorts--wd 4tb mycloud drive. i also have all current video/audio backed up to a separate 4tb usb drive.

there aren't a lot of video resources on this at the "tubes" so i could use some direction.

from what i gather, i should designate the wd drive as the server, through bubbleupnp. from there, there are both desktop and android apps to grab media and stream. and there is a plugin for foobar that will allow me to render and stream media from my laptop to my cca, or regular cc (video).

is that about it? is there anything else i'm missing?

thanks for any help/direction.
post #790 of 865 Old 04-10-2019, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
i have a nas--of sorts--wd 4tb mycloud drive. i also have all current video/audio backed up to a separate 4tb usb drive.
Ah - it's the first time you've mentioned using a NAS as your FLAC file storage source. I'd assumed your FLAC files were stored in the laptop itself. This may be the actual reason for the dropouts & clicks when casting from the laptop to the CCA, since twice the amount of FLAC file data is passing though the wireless network with the FLAC files sourced via the network from the NAS compared to them sourced locally without using the network from the laptop!

Quote:
from what i gather, i should designate the wd drive as the server, through bubbleupnp. from there, there are both desktop and android apps to grab media and stream.
No, despite its name and what you might have read 'out there', this has got nothing to do with configuring the BubbleUPnP Server to in any way handle the WD MyCloud NAS as a (media) server for the FLAC files. Nor has this got anything to do with using the simlarly named BubbleUPnP Android app (it's by the same developer), which can be used with the BubbleUPnP Server for other purposes.

The BubbleUPnP Server is a set of optional services or helper functions to enhance or fix problems with devices that support standard UPnP/DLNA streaming and Chromecast (aka Google Cast) streaming. The only helper function that you need to configure on the BubbleUPnP Server is the Create a DLNA renderer in the Media Renderers section, for the Chromecast Audio and (if you want to also try) for the regular Chromecast (video) - so exactly as I mentioned before & provided the image for. Please ignore all of the BubbleUPnP Server's other services, especially those in the Media Servers section, which is likely displaying the WD MyCloud NAS's UPnP/DLNA media server.

Quote:
and there is a plugin for foobar that will allow me to render and stream media from my laptop to my cca, or regular cc (video).
Yes. The BubbleUPnP Server configuration I described still allows you to select the FLAC files for the playlist from your NAS, or from wherever they're stored, for playback on your foobar2000 "weapon of choice", in exactly the same way as you always have. The only change, as long as you have installed the foo_out_upnp (aka UPnP Mediarenderer Output) plugin component I mentioned before:

is that you'll now be able to select the UPnP renderer created for the Chromecast by the BubbleUPnP Server, as foobar2000's output device and so get the Chromecast to play foobar2000's audio output, instead of your laptop playing foobar2000's audio output:

BTW, make sure you also set the output data format to 24-bit (as circled in the image above), to make sure you don't lose any data when playing the 24-bit hi-res FLAC files.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foo_upnp_out install.png
Views:	308
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2551362   Click image for larger version

Name:	UPnP CCA output device.png
Views:	297
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2551364  

Last edited by Cebolla; 04-11-2019 at 07:45 AM.
post #791 of 865 Old 04-29-2019, 11:57 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Does anybody know what happened to the "Full Dynamic Range" sound option for CCA in Google Home. It seems like it's no longer available through sound settings (only EQ and delay controls are there now). This is with latest Google Home App (2.10.510) and with CCA running 1.39151425​ firmware.
post #792 of 865 Old 04-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Does anybody know what happened to the "Full Dynamic Range" sound option for CCA in Google Home. It seems like it's no longer available through sound settings (only EQ and delay controls are there now). This is with latest Google Home App (2.10.510) and with CCA running 1.39151425​ firmware.

Option is still there for me under "Device settings" with CCA firmware 1.39.154182 .
pjp likes this.
post #793 of 865 Old 04-29-2019, 01:03 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Option is still there for me under "Device settings" with CCA firmware 1.39.154182 .
That's great news. Sounds like your version is later than mine, so I need to find out how to update the firmware. I did a quick google search and it sounds like the firmware updates are supposed to be automatic during setup, which doesn't seem to be the case for my CCA.
post #794 of 865 Old 05-01-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The newest firmware version has significantly reduced (but not entirely eliminated) the stuttering/dropouts for my beyond-48-khz casting... no other changes to my network/performance/equipment, just this firmware change. Further confirmation that it's the CCA (and firmware-related), and not my network. It's definitely a step in the right direction, but I still have Roon downsampling everything of multiples of 44.1 and 48 to 44.1 and 48. But it gives me a little hope that maybe google will get this fixed and back to the functionality I enjoyed with 1.32.xyz...

Living Room: Sony x940E; Denon x4400h; Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower L/R's and 2EX center, Ascend HTM-200SE Rears, Rythmik F25 sub. NVidia Shield, ATV4k, OPPO UDP-203, CCA.
Basement: Samsung PN58B650 LN-T4065F (x2); Onkyo TX-NR809; Polk Monitor 70 Series II L/R's, SVS PB-1000 sub. NVidia Shield (x2), Windows Desktop, CCA.
post #795 of 865 Old 05-01-2019, 09:17 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The newest firmware version has significantly reduced (but not entirely eliminated) the stuttering/dropouts for my beyond-48-khz casting... no other changes to my network/performance/equipment, just this firmware change. Further confirmation that it's the CCA (and firmware-related), and not my network. It's definitely a step in the right direction, but I still have Roon downsampling everything of multiples of 44.1 and 48 to 44.1 and 48. But it gives me a little hope that maybe google will get this fixed and back to the functionality I enjoyed with 1.32.xyz...
How do you update the CCA to specific firmware versions? I'd like to change mine to 1.39.154182 (or whatever the "best" version is that has the "full dynamic range" option), but I haven't seen any way to directly load specific versions. I saw one discussion saying that you can join the preview group, but it looks like Google is no longer accepting preview group additions.
post #796 of 865 Old 05-02-2019, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
For me 1.39.154182 does not bring any improvements through Toslink. Stuttering and dropouts still there in spades. Through the analogue output, much fewer dropouts.
Something seem improved, so there's hope.

Last edited by rudolffischer; 05-02-2019 at 02:38 AM.
post #797 of 865 Old 05-06-2019, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolffischer View Post
For me 1.39.154182 does not bring any improvements through Toslink. Stuttering and dropouts still there in spades. Through the analogue output, much fewer dropouts.
Something seem improved, so there's hope.
I followed the advice somewhere else to move the toslink mini plug inside the CCA receptacle. Depending on how far I insert the plug, I get more or less clicks and dropouts. There is actually a position where playback is perfect.
Maybe the optical transmitter of my CCA is broken.
post #798 of 865 Old 05-30-2019, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
How do you update the CCA to specific firmware versions? I'd like to change mine to 1.39.154182 (or whatever the "best" version is that has the "full dynamic range" option), but I haven't seen any way to directly load specific versions. I saw one discussion saying that you can join the preview group, but it looks like Google is no longer accepting preview group additions.

Like many consumer devices, you can't. The CCA won't even function if your LAN/WLAN isn't connected to the Internet. I haven't run a Wireshark, but it's probably talking to Google. Supposedly it needs at least DNS at 8.8.8.8 (which is Google's) to be accessible. Without Internet access, CCA disconnects from my wired LAN, and starts broadcasting its SSID wirelessly. Very unhelpful.
I long for the days of something as simple as playing play on my SACD player and having it sound. Even though it can play in the entire house and be controlled from a handheld RF wireless device (smartphone), all this new tech is far less reliable when it comes down to it, unfortunately. All my CCAs could be a brick someday if the software stack stops being supported to a meaningful degree.
post #799 of 865 Old 05-30-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolffischer View Post
I followed the advice somewhere else to move the toslink mini plug inside the CCA receptacle. Depending on how far I insert the plug, I get more or less clicks and dropouts. There is actually a position where playback is perfect.
Maybe the optical transmitter of my CCA is broken.
I've experimented similarly with the way the mini toslink inserts and had similar (but not identical) results... Location and orientation of that mini adapter matters.

But, fwiw:
I have more than one cca using mini toslink and they all show this behavior.

I have more than one cca that doesn't output digitally via toslink. In general, these ones never dropped out AS MUCH, but the issue isn't limited to just optical output...

I bought the usb-to-Ethernet adapter to remove questions about wireless signal and it still happened.

The only fix I found was to buy Roon and tell the Core the downsample all 24 but content to 44.1 or 48...
post #800 of 865 Old 06-22-2019, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is there any issue with buying a used CCA? Seems like E-bay is the only source right now. There are some new ones for sale but also used/refurb. If I go with used/refurb would there be a problem if someone is already registered to use it? Can you do a complete reset on it? I'm not that familiar with the CCA. Thanks.

-Shimon
post #801 of 865 Old 06-22-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Anyone using CCA as an end point with jriver? I have bubbleupnp setup on the server that has jriver running with all the media.

When i connect to jriver and try to use the CC as a zone I get the beep nose that it connected. But it never plays music. I can stream to it from my phone no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #802 of 865 Old 06-22-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post
Is there any issue with buying a used CCA? Seems like E-bay is the only source right now. There are some new ones for sale but also used/refurb. If I go with used/refurb would there be a problem if someone is already registered to use it? Can you do a complete reset on it? I'm not that familiar with the CCA. Thanks.

You don't have to worry about somebody having used it. You can set it up for yourself via Google Home app.
shimonmor likes this.
post #803 of 865 Old 06-23-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Can you control volume output with a CCA?

My plan was to use a Fosi mini 2-ch amp to power two outdoor speakers. The amp has Bluetooth which I would stream audio files from my phone (not streaming services but local files on the phone). Speakers would be mounted under the eaves with speaker wires penetrating into the house attic where the amp would live. However, after doing some reading, I learned that CCA was a better option. So, I ordered one on E-bay and was planning to plug it into the AUX input of the amp. Amp would be left powered on with volume near max (no remote control...just knobs).

When the plan was to use BT, I know I can lower the volume of the BT output on my phone. But if I use a CCA, I realized I may not be able to control volume. Is it possible to control the volume from the phone while using the CCA? If not, I need to find a different amp.

Thanks.

-Shimon
post #804 of 865 Old 06-23-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey, you can adjust CCA volume, just like with Bluetooth.
This is only available on analog output, which you're using, not on toslink output.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
shimonmor likes this.
post #805 of 865 Old 06-23-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjb View Post
Hey, you can adjust CCA volume, just like with Bluetooth.
This is only available on analog output, which you're using, not on toslink output.
You can control the CCA optical output level as well, using the native Google Home app at least.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
post #806 of 865 Old 06-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
You can control the CCA optical output level as well, using the native Google Home app at least.
Thanks for correction.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
post #807 of 865 Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
True, fully CW is Unity.
post #808 of 865 Old 06-24-2019, 12:44 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Reducing the volume on CCA with the optical output does work, but rreducing the volume in the digital domain degrades the digital content and therefore reduces sound quality. If you are going to use CCA as the primary volume control, I think you are better off using the analog CCA output.
post #809 of 865 Old 06-25-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Reducing the volume on CCA with the optical output does work, but rreducing the volume in the digital domain degrades the digital content and therefore reduces sound quality. If you are going to use CCA as the primary volume control, I think you are better off using the analog CCA output.
Should not affect the sound quality of the optical out, only the measured SNR which is very low to begin with. You are assuming they are using electronic controlled attenuation on the analog output, I highly doubt it. Electronic controlled attenuators have their own set of problems.
post #810 of 865 Old 06-25-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Bought one of these for a friend and she never figured it out or at least isn't using it.

I think I may ask her for it back.

Esp when I read about people using it for Jriver zones and high res audio.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page