*Official* Google Chromecast AUDIO owners thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #811 of 865 Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Bought one of these for a friend and she never figured it out or at least isn't using it.

I think I may ask her for it back.

Esp when I read about people using it for Jriver zones and high res audio.

-Brian
Be aware that the current firmware has issues with high res audio. As it's a discontinued product, who knows if it will ever be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 865 Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Reducing the volume on CCA with the optical output does work, but rreducing the volume in the digital domain degrades the digital content and therefore reduces sound quality. If you are going to use CCA as the primary volume control, I think you are better off using the analog CCA output.
Should not affect the sound quality of the optical out, only the measured SNR which is very low to begin with. You are assuming they are using electronic controlled attenuation on the analog output, I highly doubt it. Electronic controlled attenuators have their own set of problems.
I hadn't thought about the analog side, you may very well be right that it still controls volume in digital before the internal DAC. It would be interesting to know if anyone knows definitively if that is the case.

I don't really agree tha volume control on digital is not problematic to sound quality - if you have the digital volume at only 10%, the impact is probably pretty significant.

For me, I only run digital volume at 100%. If you care enough about sound quality to use a high-end DAC, it doesn't really make sense to feed it compromised digital content (or at least it doesn't make sense for me).
post #813 of 865 Old 06-26-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
I don't really agree tha volume control on digital is not problematic to sound quality - if you have the digital volume at only 10%, the impact is probably pretty significant.

For me, I only run digital volume at 100%. If you care enough about sound quality to use a high-end DAC, it doesn't really make sense to feed it compromised digital content (or at least it doesn't make sense for me).
Not sure why anyone would would do otherwise. I use 100% only after I confirmed it was unity as posted here.
pjp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 865 Old 06-28-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm trying to find an easy solution to streaming music from my PC to one or both of my CCs (no video, just locally stored music, not lossless regular MP3 etc.). I used to use 2 Airport Expresses, which were simple to select in iTunes, but they kept falling off of the network and the Airport Utility for PC is worthless.

Tried using iTunes and Airfoil, but it was so laggy and the two of them were out of sync. Maybe because 1 goes through an HDMI extractor before being connected to a mini amp?

I see people in this thread using Foobar with some other plug ins. I'm happy to try out something other than iTunes, which is really showing its age. If I go this route, after I get it set up with the correct plug ins, settings, etc., is it pretty user friendly? Often it's my wife or kids playing music and choosing which room or rooms to play it in.

How is the response time when using Foobar? Any problems with CCs not being in sync? Also, I haven't checked yet, is there a way to control Foobar from a phone app?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated? I may try and run audio cables soon if I can't get this working.
Thanks!
post #815 of 865 Old 06-28-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
I'm trying to find an easy solution to streaming music from my PC to one or both of my CCs (no video, just locally stored music, not lossless regular MP3 etc.).
You could try Plex. You'll need to install Plex server on one of your home PCs, and then you can use a Plex app on your smartphone to view your music library and make CCA play it.

https://www.plex.tv/

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln
post #816 of 865 Old 06-28-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
You could try Plex. You'll need to install Plex server on one of your home PCs, and then you can use a Plex app on your smartphone to view your music library and make CCA play it.

Thanks for the help! I use Plex already to watch movies from my PC on my TV, but wasn't sure it would work how I wanted with music. I would like to be able to control it from the PC (kids don't have phones so no app). Can I open it on my PC and then send it to both CCs? (They are current gen).
post #817 of 865 Old 06-28-2019, 12:21 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure why anyone would would do otherwise. I use 100% only after I confirmed it was unity as posted here.
Thanks for doing that test. I'm guessing that most people don't realize the volume control degrades the digital signal. On AVS probably more people aware of it, but I would guess that only a tiny percentage of those who aren't audio enthusiasts are aware.
post #818 of 865 Old 06-28-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can I open it on my PC and then send it to both CCs? (They are current gen).
Yes, if you use Chrome browser on your PC to access your Plex.

EDIT: actually, I take that back. I mean, it works, but sound quality sucks that way. It appears that if you use Chrome browser, it is your browser that then streams audio to CCA, instead of CCA pulling the stream on its own.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Not sure. I normally just use my phone to tell my CCA what to play from my Plex library - quality is great that way.
filipepinheiro likes this.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Pete7874; 06-28-2019 at 12:31 PM.
post #819 of 865 Old 06-28-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, if you use Chrome browser on your PC to access your Plex.

EDIT: actually, I take that back. I mean, it works, but sound quality sucks that way. It appears that if you use Chrome browser, it is your browser that then streams audio to CCA, instead of CCA pulling the stream on its own.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Not sure. I normally just use my phone to tell my CCA what to play from my Plex library - quality is great that way.

Interesting I'll have to play around with this. Any idea if I can stream to multiple ones and have them synced?
post #820 of 865 Old 06-28-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I'm trying to find an easy solution to streaming music from my PC to one or both of my CCs (no video, just locally stored music, not lossless regular MP3 etc.). I used to use 2 Airport Expresses, which were simple to select in iTunes, but they kept falling off of the network and the Airport Utility for PC is worthless.

Tried using iTunes and Airfoil, but it was so laggy and the two of them were out of sync. Maybe because 1 goes through an HDMI extractor before being connected to a mini amp?

I see people in this thread using Foobar with some other plug ins. I'm happy to try out something other than iTunes, which is really showing its age. If I go this route, after I get it set up with the correct plug ins, settings, etc., is it pretty user friendly? Often it's my wife or kids playing music and choosing which room or rooms to play it in.

How is the response time when using Foobar? Any problems with CCs not being in sync? Also, I haven't checked yet, is there a way to control Foobar from a phone app?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated? I may try and run audio cables soon if I can't get this working.
Thanks!
Roon works well for me.

Neil
filipepinheiro likes this.
post #821 of 865 Old 06-28-2019, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Thanks!
not sure how it would work with an apple architecture, but i stream audio from my pc (home server/tidal) to my cca.

for the home server audio, i use foobar with bubbleupnp. for tidal, i use the desktop application, which will cast to the cca.

no issues with either (after some initial setup head scratchers). the cca has its limit at 24/96, but that hasn't been a real problem for me. any higher res audio just down samples to that resolution.
post #822 of 865 Old 06-29-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:

How is the response time when using Foobar? Any problems with CCs not being in sync?

The newer CC's that support CC Audio fully should have a sync timing adjustment like the old CCAudios do. So as long as your delay isn't greater than the CC can adjust for, you can make everything sync quite well.
post #823 of 865 Old 06-29-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
I can think of at least one reason. If one (or in my case 2) of your Grouped CCA's are on dual-purpose AVR's (2 channel for music, 5+ channel for TV and movies), the volume knob can play at two very different SPLs for one given "volume value" when switching back and forth from a Dolby TrueHD audio source to a 2-channel FLAC file.

For my Denon x4400, "50" is low-ish for a video. Most TV gets watched between 54 and 56 (Comcast, Dolby Digital). Movies with TrueHD or HD-MA are "loud" ("good") around 61-63. While 50 is Ferociously loud for 2-channel music to my CCA via Toslink. Applying some digital volume reduction allows someone (my wife and kids use it too; and aren't as anal retentive/aware with all my AVS gear) to flip the input from a video source (Shield, ATV, OPPO) to the CCA, music to come on, and the user not required to hold the volume down button as the AVR makes the switch...

Discouraged to hear people say it messes with SQ, as that bothers me... My OPPO has always sounded better, to my ears, when used as a Roon endpoint, maybe this is (one of the) reason(s) why...
post #824 of 865 Old 06-29-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
not sure how it would work with an apple architecture, but i stream audio from my pc (home server/tidal) to my cca.

for the home server audio, i use foobar with bubbleupnp. for tidal, i use the desktop application, which will cast to the cca.

no issues with either (after some initial setup head scratchers). the cca has its limit at 24/96, but that hasn't been a real problem for me. any higher res audio just down samples to that resolution.

Thanks! I'll try and get foobar and bubbleupnp set up and working. Tidal is just if you want streaming music right? I'm not too worried about bit rate as long as it sounds good. Any set up tips!
post #825 of 865 Old 06-29-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
The newer CC's that support CC Audio fully should have a sync timing adjustment like the old CCAudios do. So as long as your delay isn't greater than the CC can adjust for, you can make everything sync quite well.

Thanks I know I've read about that. I thought it was a function in the Google app but I'll see what kind of delay I'm working with and go from there!
post #826 of 865 Old 06-29-2019, 10:00 AM

Hmm, trying to get Foobar to send to Chromecast.
I installed BubblePnP and selected the Chromecast in Media Renderers as a DNLA output.
I added the UPnP component to Foobar, but now I don't know how to choose my CC as a device. Under output, the only devices are my PC speakers, Primary Sound Driver, and Null.
What am I missing?
post #827 of 865 Old 06-29-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I installed BubblePnP and selected the Chromecast in Media Renderers as a DNLA output.
I added the UPnP component to Foobar, but now I don't know how to choose my CC as a device. Under output, the only devices are my PC speakers, Primary Sound Driver, and Null.
What am I missing?
what are you having bubble see as a media server? at first, it was a little tricky to get this all to work. i'm sorry i'm not more helpful.

i have my wd mycloud drive,as well as my local machine. 99% of my non-streaming casting is done via the wd.

basically, you need to get the server and media renderers configured. then you'll see the cca as an output device in foobar.

have you tried restarting the bubbleupnp server?
post #828 of 865 Old 06-29-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My problem is that BubbleUPNP Server is not seeing my CCA ("Media Renderers" tab is empty) because it is on a different LAN. I have my router configured so that the two LANs can see each other, but somehow BubbleUPNP still can't find my CCA.

post #829 of 865 Old 06-29-2019, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My problem is that BubbleUPNP Server is not seeing my CCA ("Media Renderers" tab is empty) because it is on a different LAN. I have my router configured so that the two LANs can see each other, but somehow BubbleUPNP still can't find my CCA.

Two networks might cause trouble. Can your Chrome Browser see the CCA when you click on the cast icon?
Cebolla likes this.
post #830 of 865 Old 06-30-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post
Can you control volume output with a CCA?

My plan was to use a Fosi mini 2-ch amp to power two outdoor speakers. The amp has Bluetooth which I would stream audio files from my phone (not streaming services but local files on the phone). Speakers would be mounted under the eaves with speaker wires penetrating into the house attic where the amp would live. However, after doing some reading, I learned that CCA was a better option. So, I ordered one on E-bay and was planning to plug it into the AUX input of the amp. Amp would be left powered on with volume near max (no remote control...just knobs).

When the plan was to use BT, I know I can lower the volume of the BT output on my phone. But if I use a CCA, I realized I may not be able to control volume. Is it possible to control the volume from the phone while using the CCA? If not, I need to find a different amp.

Thanks.
Got my CCA and thought I would mention that controlling volume is much easier than I anticipated. I just use the volume rockers on my phone and the CCA audio is automatically raised/lowered. Very cool. I thought I may have to go into an app or specify which volume to raise/lower.

So far, I'm very happy with the CCA. My only complaint is that I didn't discover this device earlier (I have had and use an HDMI CC for years) and that I didn't buy more of these when they were available. Now, as far as I can find, CCAs are going for around $50 on E-bay (new, in-box). Oh, well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190629-051434.png
Views:	15
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	2586014  

-Shimon
post #831 of 865 Old 06-30-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post
My only complaint is that I didn't discover this device earlier (I have had and use an HDMI CC for years) and that I didn't buy more of these when they were available.
Same here. If I knew how useful these devices would be, I would have bought more than just one.

post #832 of 865 Old 07-01-2019, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
for tidal, i use the desktop application, which will cast to the cca.
The TIDAL Desktop app does not currently support Google Cast. Have you mistaken using the TIDAL Desktop app for using the TIDAL web player via the Chrome web browser on your computer, which does support Chromecast?
post #833 of 865 Old 07-01-2019, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
What am I missing?
Sorry if I'm coming across as pedantic, but you need to be a bit careful here and be more accurate with the description of what you actually did. I'm assuming that you:

- Installed the BubbleUPnP Server helper application on your computer, not to be confused with installing the BubbleUPnP app on an Android phone or tablet;

- That you selected the Chromecast device in the Media Renderers tab of the BubbeUPnP Server's configuration screen and you created a DLNA renderer for the Chromecast by ticking the appropriate box (not sure where you got selecting the Chromecast "as a DLNA output" from), ie, the Create a DLNA renderer's tick box, not the Create an Openhome renderer's tick box in the pic below;

- That you installed the foo_out_upnp (aka UPnP MediaRenderer Output) plugin component in foobar2000, not the older and unfortunately currently unsupported foo_upnp (aka UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point) plugin.
Even the foo_upnp plugin's developer, bubbleguuum, who ironically is the same guy that developed the BubbleUPnP Server and the BubbleUPnP Android app, recommends you now use the foo_out_upnp plugin instead.

Can you confirm this?

Last edited by Cebolla; 07-01-2019 at 06:20 AM.
post #834 of 865 Old 07-02-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
The TIDAL Desktop app does not currently support Google Cast. Have you mistaken using the TIDAL Desktop app for using the TIDAL web player via the Chrome web browser on your computer, which does support Chromecast?
yes, that's how i cast it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tidal screenshot.png
Views:	21
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	2586694  
post #835 of 865 Old 07-03-2019, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

I second this idea.

I use my CCA in two different ways:
1. I have Plex installed in my Raspberry Pi and only use it for playing my FLACs; since it is always direct play the CPU on the Raspberry Pi is always very relaxed
2. I use the CCA as another zone in Roon, and this also works very well to either play my FLACs or to play Tidal's FLACs

Hope it helps.
post #836 of 865 Old 08-19-2019, 08:48 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Stupid question, but how do you keep the Chromecast Audio from streaming forever?

I love the CCA -- I have five of them and, when I can, I power them with a switched receiver/amp outlet or USB port so that streaming automatically stops when I stop listening. When I use them with amps that don't have switched outlet, though, I'm concerned that it will keep streaming Spotify (or whatever) forever. It's not the most critical issue in the world, but I'd rather not have the parasitic loads on the network with CCA streaming forever when I'm no longer listening. Is there any solution to prevent CCA from streaming forever?
post #837 of 865 Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Stupid question, but how do you keep the Chromecast Audio from streaming forever?
Whatever app you used to start streaming, you would use the same app to press the Stop button. Or you could issue a voice command to either your Google smart speaker (if you have one) or to your Android phone, asking your Chromecast Audio (or however you named it) to stop.

post #838 of 865 Old 08-19-2019, 10:39 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whatever app you used to start streaming, you would use the same app to press the Stop button. Or you could issue a voice command to either your Google smart speaker (if you have one) or to your Android phone, asking your Chromecast Audio (or however you named it) to stop.
Thanks. I do know how to stop manually stop it, but I know I will forget to stop it occasionally (ok probably often) and I'm certain my wife won't stop it 99.99% of the time. I'm thinking about adding to our TV soundbar, which is mostly used for TV, and I know she will just hit "Watch TV" on the Harmony and the music will keep streaming silently (could be a long time).
post #839 of 865 Old 08-19-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If there is some kind of an auto timeout setting in Chromecast Audio, I haven't been able to find it. Sorry.

post #840 of 865 Old 08-19-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Typically, if you play an album or a playlist, it will stop when it reaches the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page