Need some basic pointers going to a media archive - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-17-2015, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some basic pointers going to a media archive

Hey all,

I'm an IT/AV Director by trade so I've got plenty of know-how as far as basic concepts, terms, etc. However, now that I've more or less finalized my 2-channel setup (incl a network player/DAC) I'd love to not have to load a CD in every time I want to play it. I also inherited a retiring DJ's CD collection and there's just no way to physically store that many hard CDs so they're readily available...besides...everyone knows if you're going to leave out physical media it should be vinyl.

Anyway...I've got the player all figured out (for now it's a Pioneer N-50) and I'm going to turn my attention to getting things ready to RRRRRrrrrrrrrip! My goal is to get about 1,000+ CDs ripped into FLAC, (some also to MP3 - convert or rip twice?), and then stored someplace so I can use my network player to do DLNA.

Software. I did a trial of dBpoweramp a few years ago and it seemed to go fine. $39 or whatever it is to buy is a non-issue considering the amount of media I'm ripping. Will that do MP3 at the same time (aka - output two files per rip?). Is there anything else to consider when starting this process? Any other software titles that are the bee's knees?

Lastly, I have ready access to older, mid-range PCs that I can use as a media PC. Does it make more sense to do that and backup to NAS or should I just use a NAS for everything? I plan on buying a NAS regardless, to backup photos, etc etc, but I imagine that the FLACs will be the biggest space hog and therefore I'll be buying it with that in mind. If I do setup a PC it will JUST be used as a media center and I have no interest in maintaining another computer (I have hundreds at work that need my babysitting...don't need another). What software/OS should I look into? I won't touch Windows Media player or whatnot with a 10 foot pole.

Thanks for your help. With my background I feel weird asking, but I've basically not touched digital music since the early 2000's.

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Well, there are so many options for hardware and software, I wouldn't even know where to start.

I just wanted to offer an opinion on the NAS. I have been using a Drobo 5N for a year now and it is great. All of my media (blu-ray and DVD rips, music, photos) are stored on there. You can select single or dual redundancy. Expansion is easy. I love it.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-19-2015, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoungeRat View Post
...My goal is to get about 1,000+ CDs ripped into FLAC, (some also to MP3 - convert or rip twice?), and then stored someplace so I can use my network player to do DLNA....
Zach
Check out vortexbox (http://wiki.vortexbox.org/installation_guide , http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index.php?page=Begin , http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index.php?page=FAQ). There are additional add-ons, like plex. Compatible with Logitech Squeezebox devices, Sonos and Linn receivers too.

I rip my DVDs using it, does a good job on most, but had a few that didn't rip correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page