Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1401Likes

post #3151 of 5644 Old 09-10-2016, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadqs View Post
The latest beta with MyCollection has just become stable version 160824_2122_r11
http://dune-hd.com/firmware/solo4k/
So MyCollection in current initial version is official now, Dune will probably announce it officially in their materials.
And yes - list of demands to improve functionality of MyCollection is long, Dune is aware. If I will have any next information about their priorities, I will let you know.
Sorry for mistake. I did wrong copy-paste.
160831_0240_r11 become stable of course, it ws beta for a while, Dune changes its status to official one.
blenky likes this.

DuneHD Ultra4K, Pro4K, Neo4k, Duo4K, Solo4K, Base3D, TV-102w, QNAP/Synology, Fibaro, Sonos, iEast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 5644 Old 09-10-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
Has anyone tried to use the z-wave controller in the Solo 4K yet?
I tried installing the plugin but it failed to install.

By the way I bought the version of the players sold in Hong Kong in case there are regional differences.
Z-wave use different frequencies in some regions. As I know, Solo4k has only one version with Z-wave, for Europe. For US non-Zwave version is provided. For HK probably too.
Z-wave device has stricker with Z-Wave logo at the bottom. Please check it

DuneHD Ultra4K, Pro4K, Neo4k, Duo4K, Solo4K, Base3D, TV-102w, QNAP/Synology, Fibaro, Sonos, iEast
post #3153 of 5644 Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Z-wave use different frequencies in some regions. As I know, Solo4k has only one version with Z-wave, for Europe. For US non-Zwave version is provided. For HK probably too.
Z-wave device has stricker with Z-Wave logo at the bottom. Please check it
Yeah I know I already have a z-wave controller.
The box (packaging) lists that is has z-wave, but there are no stickers on the the media player itself doesn't have any stickers indicating it has z-wave.

That is why I asked as promoting a feature on the packaging that doesn't exist is false advertising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3154 of 5644 Old 09-11-2016, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 2223
Quote:
The box (packaging) lists that is has z-wave, but there are no stickers on the the media player itself doesn't have any stickers indicating it has z-wave.

That is why I asked as promoting a feature on the packaging that doesn't exist is false advertising.
Where did you purchase? If in the states, Mike at DunePlayer contacted everyone that preordered and notified them it wouldn't have ZWave and offered to cancel the order. When he found out, he removed that feature from his website.
lsarver likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #3155 of 5644 Old 09-11-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Where did you purchase? If in the states, Mike at DunePlayer contacted everyone that preordered and notified them it wouldn't have ZWave and offered to cancel the order. When he found out, he removed that feature from his website.
I bought it from a local shop here in Hong Kong. I bought it back in May.

That it has z-wave is printed on the box / packaging it came in. I knew that the z-wave feature wasn't enabled yet in firmware and so didn't worry about it until I saw it mentioned in the recent beta firmware update, but when the plugin wouldn't install I started to wonder what's going on.
post #3156 of 5644 Old 09-11-2016, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

Then I'm afraid that your Solo does not have ZWAVE. Mine (Europe edition) had a sticker on it, see here:
post #3157 of 5644 Old 09-11-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post
Then I'm afraid that your Solo does not have ZWAVE. Mine (Europe edition) had a sticker on it, see here:
Ok. Wonder if the z-wave hardware is just disabled or missing...
post #3158 of 5644 Old 09-11-2016, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Z-Wave on UK Version of Dune HD Solo 4K

What are the benefits of having z-wave for this media player? We have a lot of Z-Wave devices at your house, but their functionality for the most part does not go beyond just turning on and off themselves.

Projector: Epson LS10000 + Elite Screens 135 Inch AVR: Yamaha RX-A3050 Media Players: Oppo 103D / Dune HD SOLO 4K NAS: Synology 3615xs (106TB) 7.2.4 Speakers: JTR Triple 8 (x3) (FL, FR, Center) / JTR Slanted 8 (x4) (SL, SR, SBL, SBR) / Polk Audio OWM3 (x4) (Front & Rear Heights) / Sony MDR-HW700DS Headphones (x4) / Rythmik FV15HP Powered Subwoofer (x2) / Crowson Shadow-8 Dual Motion Actuator (T108SS) (x4) + ButtKicker BKA1000-N Power Amplifier (x2) / Emotiva Amplifier/ D-Box System
post #3159 of 5644 Old 09-11-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Ok. Wonder if the z-wave hardware is just disabled or missing...
Look at the back and pictures atached to above posts - sticker is at the left side, at the right side you see small "window" If you have Z-wave modul, you shall be able to see small antenna below plastic at that place. Antenna looks as a spring. I think devices for US have no Z-wave module at all, so it is not disabled. Just not installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlFinds View Post
What are the benefits of having z-wave for this media player? We have a lot of Z-Wave devices at your house, but their functionality for the most part does not go beyond just turning on and off themselves.
Solo4k can act as controller, you can manage your z-wave network. It works with Z-way software - same as for raspberry-pi (so not the easiest one).
Dune plans to add option for Solo4k, to be also a devices that you can control from other Controler. To change volume maybe sth. else. But it is not available now.

post #3160 of 5644 Old 09-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So I have been using the 4k solo since it was first released in the US back in April and have some observations. Let me preface this by saying that I have been a dune user since the prime 3.0, so since 2010. I have a dune prime 3.0, a dune D1, a dune tv303D, a dune hdmax, and now a dune solo4k. I also have a mede8er 800 and 1000, and a purpose built htpc. I use a dvdo iscan duo with an onkyo atmos capable receiver on a samsung 65" tv.

For me, the solo 4k has been a disappointment so far. I originally bought the solo with the idea that dvd playback picture quality would be improved over the previous dune models. I have a 100+ dvd music video collection, of which many are interlaced, so I wanted the solo to be better than previous models. The lure of source direct to the dvdo iscan was appealing. Once the June firmware fixed the playback problems, it was okay, but I found overall it was still not as good as the mede8er and/or the htpc. One annoyance is the flashback to a previous dvd screen when the new dvd loads and/or when a menu item is selected.

Blu Rays also have been a disappointment. I tried to watch The Hangover 2 last night; the menu did not even load! I require subtitles for my wife, so imagine my annoyance when I couldn't even load the menu to adjust the settings for the movie. We had to revert to the htpc to watch it. The solo has an extremely low waf right now. That is not the first disappointment: I also have some Blu Ray concerts where they won't load, period. Again, no problem in either the mede8er or the htpc. Blu Ray Java discs are the only ones that won't play on the mede8er; everything so far plays NO problem on the htpc using Powerdvd 16 Ultra.

Today, resurrected the D1. Tested all of the discs that did not work on the solo. ALL of them worked with no problem. The only downside on the D1 is that java discs are slower to load; given that they load and play as expected on the D1, this is an exception I am willing to make.

Unfortunately, I will be reverting to the D1 until dune gets it act together and resolves the issues with the solo. The scraper is fine, but for me there are other alternatives out and about that have better functionality--ie, ability to change the title for personalized sorting, ability to customize artwork, ability to add tv series, ability to add personal titles with artwork to name a few. The are FAR MORE pressing playback problems to rectify before this will become my player of choice. Again to name a few: better blu ray compatibility across the discs; resolve the dvd flashback to previous screens, improve speed of dvd menus. If the D1 can get it right, why can't the solo which is newer? Just shows that newer is not always better.

I want to like the solo, I really do... but I just can't at the moment.

Just some observations...
post #3161 of 5644 Old 09-11-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Look at the back and pictures atached to above posts - sticker is at the left side, at the right side you see small "window" If you have Z-wave modul, you shall be able to see small antenna below plastic at that place. Antenna looks as a spring. I think devices for US have no Z-wave module at all, so it is not disabled. Just not installed.
Ok thanks. By the look of it then the version of the Solo 4K sold in Hong Kong doesn't have the z-wave module.

Not particularly impressed with the ethics of how Dune market nonexistent features for this product, especially given its premium price point and the labelling on the box it came in. If there are regional differences in features then the packaging should clearly reflect that.

Especially in a place like Hong Kong where it isn't always clear if you are getting a Chinese (same z-wave Freq as EU) or Hong Kong/International version of a product unless the feature set is clearly labelled.
post #3162 of 5644 Old 09-12-2016, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk98 View Post
[...]

Blu Rays also have been a disappointment. I tried to watch The Hangover 2 last night; the menu did not even load! I require subtitles for my wife, so imagine my annoyance when I couldn't even load the menu to adjust the settings for the movie. We had to revert to the htpc to watch it. The solo has an extremely low waf right now. That is not the first disappointment: I also have some Blu Ray concerts where they won't load, period. Again, no problem in either the mede8er or the htpc. Blu Ray Java discs are the only ones that won't play on the mede8er; everything so far plays NO problem on the htpc using Powerdvd 16 Ultra.
[...]
Thank you for your notes.
I assume, that you have problems with BD when you play it in full mode (and you expect menu). Does your BDs starts in lite mode, without menu? In Lite mode you can still select audio and subtitle tracks. When you compare playback with f.ex. Mede8er - you shall compare Lite mode, as Mede8er also have only that one. Older models, as D1 or Max, played BD base on licences on the chip. Now it is done by software, due to some restrictions and lack of licence on the chip. The player is not 100% compatible now with all BDs, but BD Lite mode shall work always.
In case of scraper and JukeBox - 1st version was released few days ago, and it is obvious that, it does not have all the expected functions. Now we can only compare it with other, mature and well- developed systems, and push Dune to improve their one. And MyCollection was not advertise by Dune from the beginning, and was not part of specification (as Android for example), so it is nice extension and surprise.

DVD - there are still some bugs. Mentioned flashback. But I also see, that DVDs are not upscalled to 4K, but to 1080p only. When you have 4K TVset, it is upscalled again from 1080p to 4K. It is not good for final picture quality. Dune is informed about these issues.
When you play DVD, please also be sure to switch VXP deinterlace (it is usually not selected by default). Press INFO, than you will see hints for C and D buttons to change VXP processing, and deinterlacing mode.

Last edited by kadqs; 09-12-2016 at 03:46 AM.
post #3163 of 5644 Old 09-12-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
I assume, that you have problems with BD when you play it in full mode (and you expect menu). Does your BDs starts in lite mode, without menu? In Lite mode you can still select audio and subtitle tracks. When you compare playback with f.ex. Mede8er - you shall compare Lite mode, as Mede8er also have only that one. Older models, as D1 or Max, played BD base on licences on the chip. Now it is done by software, due to some restrictions and lack of licence on the chip. The player is not 100% compatible now with all BDs, but BD Lite mode shall work always.
In case of scraper and JukeBox - 1st version was released few days ago, and it is obvious that, it does not have all the expected functions. Now we can only compare it with other, mature and well- developed systems, and push Dune to improve their one. And MyCollection was not advertise by Dune from the beginning, and was not part of specification (as Android for example), so it is nice extension and surprise.

DVD - there are still some bugs. Mentioned flashback. But I also see, that DVDs are not upscalled to 4K, but to 1080p only. When you have 4K TVset, it is upscalled again from 1080p to 4K. It is not good for final picture quality. Dune is informed about these issues.
When you play DVD, please also be sure to switch VXP deinterlace (it is usually not selected by default). Press INFO, than you will see hints for C and D buttons to change VXP processing, and deinterlacing mode.
He has 1080p setup as he has a dvdo duo in his setup so he wants source direct from dune and then let dvdo duo video processor do the scaling it's similar setup to me. I have ripped all my DVDs to mkv and avi files and they are fine.

Even hd mkv rips look awesome compared to my older hdi dune prime 3, med8er 1000x3d, I did have a htpc but found it inconvenience to use also have nvidia shield tv.

But I do have a darbee and dvdo mini in the setup to.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo 203 (Coris) / Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #3164 of 5644 Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Hi kadqs,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I always read your posts with interest.

Regarding blu rays--yes, I play them in full menu mode and that is the mode I have the issues with. The reason for this with the blu ray concerts is so I can select the songs/tracks I want through the menu. For me, menu is extremely important. On a side note, regarding mede8er, so long as it is not a java disc, I have found the mede8er will play blu rays with menu no problem. Given the amount of discs that have java menus, it is far easier to play them on the dune.

Acknowledge that solo is software-based for menu support; not desirable, but much better than none at all! I hope the compatibility issue can be resolved at some point in the near future. Part of the reason for my comments is to advise that problems still do exist.

As for DVDs, a5ian300zx is correct--I do not upscale the dvds to 4k. My tv is 1080p only. It does not appear to be a scaling issue--as noted, there are some dvds where the dune will freeze the picture for a second or two, or get the size output incorrect, or will be unresponsive/slow to menu commands (the latter two problems NOT present on the D1). Mede8er and the HTPC are more responsive and neither have the same freeze affect that dune unfortunately does. Now, to be fair, on a couple of the dvds that the solo freezes on, so does the D1 and the HDMax. I cannot recall if the Prime does or not.

Yes, you are definitely correct, the scraper is definitely an unexpected bonus. It is good to see that dune is working to move the solo forward; I wouldn't be as harsh on it if I didn't have the blu ray playback issues!

One thing was negligent in with my comments yesterday is regarding nfs vs smb with the solo. I use mymovies for collection management, and I had set up my collection to playback using nfs. I have two synology servers, one for blu ray movies/tv and the other for dvds and all music. If I set it up for nfs on all titles, solo refuses to play anything on the blu ray movie collection nas. The dvds/music blu ray collection works. When I mix nfs and smb (smb for the blu ray movies) it works. I thought it was a permissions problem, but no amount of examination can find anything wrong with the permissions.

Now, reverting to the D1 and setting everything to nfs, it all works as it should. Do not know how/why, but very curious.

Again, thanks for taking the time and interest to respond; a5ian300zx as well!
post #3165 of 5644 Old 09-12-2016, 06:37 PM

kadqs,

I did some more testing.

I reverted to the pre-scraper firmware, tested The Hangover 2 again on the now seemingly functioning nfs playback means and wonder of all wonders, it worked just fine.

I am curious as to whether the scraper firmware still doesn't have some bugs floating around in it somewhere... especially when it comes to nfs playback from multiple nas servers?

Thanks much.
post #3166 of 5644 Old 09-13-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
kadqs,
I did some more testing.
I reverted to the pre-scraper firmware, tested The Hangover 2 again on the now seemingly functioning nfs playback means and wonder of all wonders, it worked just fine.
I am curious as to whether the scraper firmware still doesn't have some bugs floating around in it somewhere... especially when it comes to nfs playback from multiple nas servers?
Thanks much.
When you had problem with playback from NFS - was it only when you wanted to play from MyCollection? Have you checked it from file browser too? In another words - was it problem of MyCollection, or general with access NFS drive content.

post #3167 of 5644 Old 09-13-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I'd like to report an SMB bug:

When the Solo is connected to an SMB folder shared from my Windows 7 PC, if the PC reboots, trying to navigate the folder or access the file makes the Solo hang, you need to reboot it.

The H1 did not have this problem, just a slight delay to restore the connection,

Robert
post #3168 of 5644 Old 09-13-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
When you had problem with playback from NFS - was it only when you wanted to play from MyCollection? Have you checked it from file browser too? In another words - was it problem of MyCollection, or general with access NFS drive content.
Hi kadqs,

The NFS problem was both--in and out of MyCollection. For some reason with the latest My Collection firmware (the newest, not the one with the bug), it will only play nfs from a single source.

Reverting to the non-MyCollection firmware appears to have resolved the nfs issue.

Separately, I have run into another blu ray disc issue--on hell on wheels, it will begin to load the disc, play all of the trailers, but when it comes to loading the disc menu, it stops and takes me back to the mymovies screen. It will not complete loading the disc. It makes no difference if I attempt to load from the network browser either. I have no problems with hdmax.

Thanks
post #3169 of 5644 Old 09-14-2016, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Hi kadqs,

The NFS problem was both--in and out of MyCollection. For some reason with the latest My Collection firmware (the newest, not the one with the bug), it will only play nfs from a single source.

Reverting to the non-MyCollection firmware appears to have resolved the nfs issue.

Separately, I have run into another blu ray disc issue--on hell on wheels, it will begin to load the disc, play all of the trailers, but when it comes to loading the disc menu, it stops and takes me back to the mymovies screen. It will not complete loading the disc. It makes no difference if I attempt to load from the network browser either. I have no problems with hdmax.
Thanks
To solve such single BD issues, Dune always asks to provide BD files. It is usually bit complicated...
As I see, On hell on wheels is TV series. So is your BD commertial one, or burned yourself?
Same BD has also different versions (US, EU, standard, extended etc). What is your version? Do you use proper region settings for that BD?

Last edited by kadqs; 09-14-2016 at 03:32 AM.
post #3170 of 5644 Old 09-14-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
To solve such single BD issues, Dune always asks to provide BD files. It is usually bit complicated...
As I see, On hell on wheels is TV series. So is your BD commertial one, or burned yourself?
Same BD has also different versions (US, EU, standard, extended etc). What is your version? Do you use proper region settings for that BD?
Yes, hell on wheels is a tv series. I only use commercial discs and in this instance, it is a disc from the US. Yes, I also have the region setting correct for the disc.

Thanks!
post #3171 of 5644 Old 09-15-2016, 01:25 PM

One question on BDs: is iso or bdmv folders better? Or is there no real difference?

Thanks!
post #3172 of 5644 Old 09-15-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, hell on wheels is a tv series. I only use commercial discs and in this instance, it is a disc from the US. Yes, I also have the region setting correct for the disc.

Thanks!
I converted my original disc into an iso format, tried it on the solo and perfecto! it now works no problem. Could be that the solo can't handle some bdmv files very well...

big test will be on a couple of blu rays that have been giving me trouble.

Thanks!
post #3173 of 5644 Old 09-16-2016, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
I got some more information. Sigma has both mali GPU and VPU (Video processing Unit). Video decoding is done by VPU, not by mali GPU. VPU has to be used directly by OS.
Just to add to this. I took ownership of an A500 PRO today. There is hardware decoding and it is enabled in the OS in android. But sadly there is no h264 hardware decoding yet. It lists mpeg4 as being supported but I could not get it to work here is the Sigma list of supported hardware decoders

<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.AVC" type="video/avc">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.HEVC" type="video/hevc">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.AVC.secure" type="video/avc">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.HEVC.secure" type="video/hevc">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.MPEG2" type="video/mpeg2">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.MPEG4" type="video/mp4v-es">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.H263" type="video/3gpp">

And these are the supported audio
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Audio.Decoder.MP3" type="audio/mpeg">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Audio.Decoder.AAC" type="audio/mp4a-latm">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Audio.Decoder.AC3" type="audio/ac3">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Audio.Decoder.WMA" type="audio/wma1">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Audio.Decoder.DTS" type="audio/dts">

Here is a short clip of it playing 110mbps HEVC file. I could not get SPMC to play smooth only mxplayer was playing smooth also I could not get audio output working but did not work on it very much outside of SPMC could sw downmix to pcm.
a5ian300zx and Sledgehamma like this.
post #3174 of 5644 Old 09-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 239
There is iso and then there is iso

Quote:
I converted my original disc into an iso format, tried it on the solo and perfecto! it now works no problem. Could be that the solo can't handle some bdmv files very well...

big test will be on a couple of blu rays that have been giving me trouble.

Thanks!
Quick question. By iso do you mean an iso image of the original disc or do you mean an creating an iso container with the BDAV [BDMV] (aka .m2ts) file structure which is the standard format of Blu-ray discs and generally what people here refer to as an iso?
post #3175 of 5644 Old 09-16-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
Just to add to this. I took ownership of an A500 PRO today. There is hardware decoding and it is enabled in the OS in android. But sadly there is no h264 hardware decoding yet. It lists mpeg4 as being supported but I could not get it to work here is the Sigma list of supported hardware decoders

<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.AVC" type="video/avc">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.HEVC" type="video/hevc">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.AVC.secure" type="video/avc">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.HEVC.secure" type="video/hevc">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.MPEG2" type="video/mpeg2">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.MPEG4" type="video/mp4v-es">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Video.Decoder.H263" type="video/3gpp">

And these are the supported audio
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Audio.Decoder.MP3" type="audio/mpeg">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Audio.Decoder.AAC" type="audio/mp4a-latm">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Audio.Decoder.AC3" type="audio/ac3">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Audio.Decoder.WMA" type="audio/wma1">
<MediaCodec name="OMX.SMP.Audio.Decoder.DTS" type="audio/dts">

Here is a short clip of it playing 110mbps HEVC file. I could not get SPMC to play smooth only mxplayer was playing smooth also I could not get audio output working but did not work on it very much outside of SPMC could sw downmix to pcm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ROkm6sSqUI
But does that file work with the popcorn player? If so what's the max network file it can play?

Thanks

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo 203 (Coris) / Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #3176 of 5644 Old 09-16-2016, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Hi kadqs,

I have learned that after cold booting (the only thing I know, since I allways switch off the player with a zwave actuator), some times the network performance is broken on the Solo. I can be tested with the info->read speed on a file, if it is stabled at around 37MB/s it is ok, if it hangs or fluctuates, it is in broken mode, and then I need to restart the Solo.
Before I learned this issues with the network, I thought some movies did not play etc etc.

So if you run into something strange, check the read speed, just to make sure it is not network related!

I hope there will be a fix for this some time, because it is a bit annoying.
post #3177 of 5644 Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
But does that file work with the popcorn player? If so what's the max network file it can play?

Thanks

What do you mean by popcorn player? There is no player app made by CM for the Android part.

110mbps is the max I get for H264 on Linux
120mbps is the max I get for H265 on Linux
a5ian300zx likes this.
post #3178 of 5644 Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post

Thanks

Yes the file works under the normal popcorn side. The throughput for network is 32MB/s at least on the normal poopcornhour side (Note this speed is writing to ram if you right to a disk it goes down a bit) . While I was testing android I was doing everything pushing the file to the internal storage or usb stick as I wanted to test hardware playback before getting into network stacks and everything else. It was more to show Proof that sigma is at least putting some effort into android. It still has a way to go but its a start.
a5ian300zx likes this.

Last edited by halfelite; 09-16-2016 at 10:25 AM.
post #3179 of 5644 Old 09-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time lurker to this thread and grateful for all the hints, tips and discussions. I recently purchased my own Dune HD SOLO 4K and so far am loving it. I'm a keen film collector and have most of my library stored as full, untouched BD ISO images on my NAS (thanks to AnyDVD HD).

So far I'm very impressed with the Dune's performance, and have yet to come across a file that won't play. I've got Zappiti running on my laptop and this seems a good match for the Dune, and prefer it to the built-in jukebox from the recent firmware update (which is a nice feature, but I wish I could resize the title icons - just too big for my tastes).

The Dune's 3D support is jaw-dropping and just as good as my standalone Blu-ray box (I absolutely love 3D and would like to join the call for true 3D subtitle support - any more news on this please?).

So, many thanks to all of you on here - your help and comments went a long way to assisting me in purchasing this device. I am so glad I did.

Cheers,
Peter
a5ian300zx and dalek69 like this.

Last edited by kiwipeter; 09-16-2016 at 01:53 PM.
post #3180 of 5644 Old 09-16-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post
Quick question. By iso do you mean an iso image of the original disc or do you mean an creating an iso container with the BDAV [BDMV] (aka .m2ts) file structure which is the standard format of Blu-ray discs and generally what people here refer to as an iso?
You are correct--an image of the disc. I was creating BDMV folders and found that the solo would not always play the BDMV folder. Converting those folders to an image of the disc appears to have resolved the problem for at least some of the troublesome discs.

Testing remains ongoing. I need to dig out my discs to test the others. Will advise when I get them!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page