Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1400Likes

post #4351 of 5642 Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Well, it depends how badly you want the bottom plate on the unit. If you want the bottom plate, you're limited to a 7mm drive, of which the current largest is 2TB. If you don't care, you can get 4TB in a 15mm thick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 5642 Old 02-22-2017, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have some DVD-A discs ripped as ISO files. When I play these back on the Dune HD Solo 4K (from attached USB stock) I only get the DD and DTS soundtracks. The HiRez audio soundtracks are not included (i.e. Multi-Channel Surround Sound at 96kHz/24 bit or Stereo 192 kHz/24 bit).

What might I be doing wrong?

EDIT

Hmm, think I answered my own question. The Dune can play DVDs and BDs but not DVD-Audio or SACDs.

Any suggestions as to how to rip a DVD-Audio such that the HiRez soundtrack can be played back on the dune?

Last edited by blairy; 02-22-2017 at 11:52 PM.
post #4353 of 5642 Old 02-23-2017, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Zoom mode and black bars

Hi,

with my old Dune HD 303D I could zoom letterboxes content so that the black bars would decrease in steps. With my new Dune Solo lite this does not work that way - zooming just increases the size of the video INSIDE the letterboxes area.
The extended zoom options have been the main point that made the decision for the dune (besides correct frame rates ;-)

I remember that I had the same issue with my old TV303D, but I cannot find the setting that saved the day last time.

Any tips? Is it still possible? If not, I will need to return the box.

Greetings
Andreas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4354 of 5642 Old 02-23-2017, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
I just bought a slimline Sony bluray drive enclosed in external case and I can see it on the dune and when I navigate in explorer view and press play on the file all I get on mine is a blank screen. tried multiple blurays and dvds and same issue.
model: Sony BD-5740
Solo4k does not support decrypting commercial DVDs and BDs from optical drives. You cannot change it into DVD/BD disc player.
It was discussed in that thread before.
a5ian300zx likes this.

DuneHD Ultra4K, Pro4K, Neo4k, Duo4K, Solo4K, Base3D, TV-102w, QNAP/Synology, Fibaro, Sonos, iEast
post #4355 of 5642 Old 02-23-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraub View Post
Hi,

with my old Dune HD 303D I could zoom letterboxes content so that the black bars would decrease in steps. With my new Dune Solo lite this does not work that way - zooming just increases the size of the video INSIDE the letterboxes area.
The extended zoom options have been the main point that made the decision for the dune (besides correct frame rates ;-)

I remember that I had the same issue with my old TV303D, but I cannot find the setting that saved the day last time.

Any tips? Is it still possible? If not, I will need to return the box.

Greetings
Andreas
There is lot of Zoom options. Very flexible.
You press ZOOM during playback, than SELECT to change the mode.
I see: Normal, Full screen, Stretch to full screen, non-linear stretch, non-linear stretch to full screen, enlarge, make wider, make taller, cut edges
And custom mode where you can set: Zoom factor, Aspect ratio correction, margins and shift
So really a lot of options.
If you have problems finding proper option, please confirm: what is resolution of movie you play, what is HDMI out resolution, what is your seetings for Aspect Ratio in Video settings (I suggest to keep "Auto" there).

DuneHD Ultra4K, Pro4K, Neo4k, Duo4K, Solo4K, Base3D, TV-102w, QNAP/Synology, Fibaro, Sonos, iEast
post #4356 of 5642 Old 02-23-2017, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3921 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairy View Post
Any suggestions as to how to rip a DVD-Audio such that the HiRez soundtrack can be played back on the dune?
You can't. You'd need to rip the high res tracks to FLAC files or WAV and play those. There's a couple tools around that will do that type ripping, I use "DVDAExplorer".
post #4357 of 5642 Old 02-23-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadqs View Post
There is lot of Zoom options. Very flexible.
You press ZOOM during playback, than SELECT to change the mode.
I see: Normal, Full screen, Stretch to full screen, non-linear stretch, non-linear stretch to full screen, enlarge, make wider, make taller, cut edges
And custom mode where you can set: Zoom factor, Aspect ratio correction, margins and shift
So really a lot of options.
If you have problems finding proper option, please confirm: what is resolution of movie you play, what is HDMI out resolution, what is your seetings for Aspect Ratio in Video settings (I suggest to keep "Auto" there).
Hi,

I always use the custom mode, as i require setting the zoom factor and also shift the picture to the lower edge of my projection screen.

As described, the problem is, that when using that mode and increasing the zoom, I do not get smaller black bars, but only the picture in the original picture area is zoomed- leaving the black bars as they were.

This is not what I need. As mentioned in the older 303D player I found a setting that changed this behaviour to the required way. With new one so far I am out of luck ....

BTW: this is completely independent of the used movie format - as long as it is lower in heigth than full 16:9 and thus generates black bars on a 16:9 screen. The aspect ratio is set to "auto". Does this work any differently in the HD Solo 4k player (I have the "lite" version)?

Last edited by astraub; 02-23-2017 at 09:28 AM.
post #4358 of 5642 Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Well, it depends how badly you want the bottom plate on the unit. If you want the bottom plate, you're limited to a 7mm drive, of which the current largest is 2TB. If you don't care, you can get 4TB in a 15mm thick.
This would be the largest a 4TB 2.5 inch drive

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Lapto...b+2.5+inch+hdd
post #4359 of 5642 Old 02-23-2017, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have a question for you Solo owners. I ripped a copy of Hacksaw Ridge BD using AnyDVD to an iso file. The correct playlist in my case with this disk is 760 now when I play it back on my Dune HD Duo the first playlist that appears is incorrect and scenes play in the wrong order. Now here is the problem the dune shows a total number of about 160 playlists (all show same length and amount of chapters) numbered 1-160 with the first incorrect playlist of 1 and same with playlist 2. Does the Solo have this issue or does it list the correct playlist numbers ? Screenpass is turning into a nightmare !

Last edited by dominical; 02-23-2017 at 02:29 PM.
post #4360 of 5642 Old 02-23-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominical View Post
I have a question for you Solo owners. I ripped a copy of Hacksaw Ridge BD using AnyDVD to an iso file. The correct playlist in my case with this disk is 760 now when I play it back on my Dune HD Duo the first playlist that appears is incorrect and scenes play in the wrong order. Now here is the problem the dune shows a total number of about 160 playlists (all show same length and amount of chapters) numbered 1-160 with the first incorrect playlist of 1 and same with playlist 2. Does the Solo have this issue or does it list the correct playlist numbers ? Screenpass is turning into a nightmare !
You're going to run into problems with most Lionsgate discs. For Lionsgate films, I use the MakeMKV forums to get the correct playlist, then rip the disc to either MKV using this information. If you want iso, use this tool so you only have one playlist on the disc:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...ead-dunes.html

Looky here!
post #4361 of 5642 Old 02-24-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I always use the custom mode, as i require setting the zoom factor and also shift the picture to the lower edge of my projection screen.

As described, the problem is, that when using that mode and increasing the zoom, I do not get smaller black bars, but only the picture in the original picture area is zoomed- leaving the black bars as they were.

This is not what I need. As mentioned in the older 303D player I found a setting that changed this behaviour to the required way. With new one so far I am out of luck ....

BTW: this is completely independent of the used movie format - as long as it is lower in heigth than full 16:9 and thus generates black bars on a 16:9 screen. The aspect ratio is set to "auto". Does this work any differently in the HD Solo 4k player (I have the "lite" version)?

Ok, got it.
I play ex. 1920x800 movie, black stripes at the top and bottom.
The first zoom option (Full screen) enlarge the picture to hide stipes and cut sides of the movie. But you need manual zoom to decide about the cut. In Manual mode Solo4k behaves as you write. I checked Base3D - it zooms as you need, decreasing stipe sizes.
I think we cannot do more by settings of Solo4k. I will try to get some more information from Dune - maybe they can improve it.

post #4362 of 5642 Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 AM

well, I have about a week left, before I would have to return the unit. The zoom option is of high importance to me and will decide this. All of the other functions of the player are fine and work well. So if you can get some answers from Dune that would be highly appreciated!

BTW: Is there really still some technical support from Dune? I searched everywhere and all I could find is a link that leads to a non-existent web page. This does not really boost my trust in Dune ....
post #4363 of 5642 Old 02-24-2017, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I will chime in here, I am on the total opposite side I want the picture in the form the director / creator intended the audience to see his creation, not some chopped of personal framing via zoming and I know there are many of us that prefer the way the director edited it rather then for example an open matte version. Bottom line for many the zoom function is not important. Old 4:3 aspect ratio movies have black bars on the right and left side in my home theater.
post #4364 of 5642 Old 02-24-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_2go View Post
I will chime in here, I am on the total opposite side I want the picture in the form the director / creator intended the audience to see his creation, not some chopped of personal framing via zoming and I know there are many of us that prefer the way the director edited it rather then for example an open matte version. Bottom line for many the zoom function is not important. Old 4:3 aspect ratio movies have black bars on the right and left side in my home theater.
well, in most cases I do agree to that. But I expect to have the flexibility to use as much of my screen estate as I consider optimal and adequate for the video material I am watching.

It also helps getting rid of artifacts at the borders and overscan on some movies by zooming the picture for example by 5%.
blenky likes this.

Last edited by astraub; 02-24-2017 at 08:36 AM.
post #4365 of 5642 Old 02-24-2017, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For making this possible many have used a different approach motorized masking of the screen estate rather then making the image fit the screen, but that only works for a projector screen.

http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/hom...orized-masking
post #4366 of 5642 Old 02-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post
Hey guys!

I finally got my Solo hooked up and it's great! The built in movie list shows TONS of promise, but it's really not there yet. If they keep working on it, I think I'll like it more than Zappiti.

Speaking of Zappiti... I'm switching from a smart H1, and there is a small but annoying difference in the way the Solo runs Zappiti. On my H1, I get a nice shiny blue outline around whatever item I have selected. On the Solo--with the exact same Zappiti files--the outline for selected items is white. Given that the movie covers already have a white outline around them it is not nearly as visible as on the H1. I know this is a small thing, but it is rather annoying as it can be difficult to pick out which movie is selected. Is anyone else seeing this? Any solutions?

Thanks!
Sorry for bringing this back up, but anybody at all seeing this?
post #4367 of 5642 Old 02-25-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ian300zx View Post
I just bought a slimline Sony bluray drive enclosed in external case and I can see it on the dune and when I navigate in explorer view and press play on the file all I get on mine is a blank screen. tried multiple blurays and dvds and same issue.

model: Sony BD-5740

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
The disc you put in the drive is an original disc?
If yes, then it is normal not to play as Dune HD Solo does not have a Bluray License so it can not pass the AACS protection / other protection.
The disc you should put in the drive should be a copy of the original disc. In advance you should remove the protection using Any DVD or DVD FAB.
Or you should do the network trick: connect the drive to your computer, share the drive in the network, put an original disc in the drive, apply any DVD on the drive, playback on Dune HD Solo via network.
Thanks,
a5ian300zx likes this.
post #4368 of 5642 Old 02-26-2017, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Need help with configuration

I'm a newbie. I loaded some DVD/Bluray movies on my QNAP TVS-473 in ISO file format. Problem is, I can't find the ISO folder with my Solo 4K. I'm sure it's a configuration pilot error somewhere. I would appreciate some step by step hand holding to properly configuring the Solo and QNAP. Thanks in advance for the help!
post #4369 of 5642 Old 02-27-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Ok, got it.
I play ex. 1920x800 movie, black stripes at the top and bottom.
The first zoom option (Full screen) enlarge the picture to hide stipes and cut sides of the movie. But you need manual zoom to decide about the cut. In Manual mode Solo4k behaves as you write. I checked Base3D - it zooms as you need, decreasing stipe sizes.
I think we cannot do more by settings of Solo4k. I will try to get some more information from Dune - maybe they can improve it.
Hi,

any news on this? Could you eventually supply a contact address for Dune? How do they get any user feedback?

Greetings
Andreas
post #4370 of 5642 Old 02-27-2017, 04:32 PM

Well, I guess I will return the player. I plan to wait for the next generation (if there will be one) also including HDMI 2.0. As long as there is no technical support and/or feedback option for users, I might however consider switching to a different manufacturer altogether. I have lost my trust in the Dune brand. That is really a pity as there are only very few players delivering similar performance.

Greetings
Andreas
post #4371 of 5642 Old 02-28-2017, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Hi,
any news on this? Could you eventually supply a contact address for Dune? How do they get any user feedback?
Greetings
Andreas
Dune firmware is a big project, they have schedule of work, tests etc. Zoom case is sent to them, but do not expect solution in nearest release. Nearest release is tested before release, new cases have chance to be solved in next releases. So I would not expect updates in manual zoom in single weeks. Unfortunately I know that form my practice. So you have to be patient. Temporary you can use FullScreen zoom, or play movie not zooming them, only shifting down.

post #4372 of 5642 Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 AM

Quote:
well, I have about a week left, before I would have to return the unit. The zoom option is of high importance to me and will decide this. All of the other functions of the player are fine and work well. So if you can get some answers from Dune that would be highly appreciated!

BTW: Is there really still some technical support from Dune? I searched everywhere and all I could find is a link that leads to a non-existent web page. This does not really boost my trust in Dune ....

Dune EU pages:
http://www.dunehd-europe.com/ - service and support contact data are easy to find
Dune HD main page: http://dune-hd.com/ some general contacts there, probably not best for support
If you are in US - you shall also easyli find the main distributor who supports customers and stays in direct contact with Dune team
Your local distributor shall also inform you where you can get support.
Where you have non-existing web pages? If at official Dune webites, let me know, I will report it.

post #4373 of 5642 Old 02-28-2017, 03:49 AM

Hmm, ok, that sounds a little bit more promising ....

Here the page with the non-existant link to "technical support": http://dune-hd.com/eng/support/onlin...roubleshooting.

Now the question is, if I should keep the player just based on a vague promise, that a for me important feature will be fixed in the
future, or if I should return the device, watch the upcoming firmware patches and then buy it again .....

Need to think about this.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and for supplying the links. This really helped!

Last edited by astraub; 02-28-2017 at 03:55 AM.
post #4374 of 5642 Old 02-28-2017, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Dune firmware is a big project, they have schedule of work, tests etc. Zoom case is sent to them, but do not expect solution in nearest release. Nearest release is tested before release, new cases have chance to be solved in next releases. So I would not expect updates in manual zoom in single weeks. Unfortunately I know that form my practice. So you have to be patient. Temporary you can use FullScreen zoom, or play movie not zooming them, only shifting down.
On that point can you find out when next firmware is due. Its been a long, long time since the last one. Cheers.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #4375 of 5642 Old 02-28-2017, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeter View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a long-time lurker to this thread and grateful for all the hints, tips and discussions. I recently purchased my own Dune HD SOLO 4K and so far am loving it. I'm a keen film collector and have most of my library stored as full, untouched BD ISO images on my NAS (thanks to AnyDVD HD).

So far I'm very impressed with the Dune's performance, and have yet to come across a file that won't play. I've got Zappiti running on my laptop and this seems a good match for the Dune, and prefer it to the built-in jukebox from the recent firmware update (which is a nice feature, but I wish I could resize the title icons - just too big for my tastes).

The Dune's 3D support is jaw-dropping and just as good as my standalone Blu-ray box (I absolutely love 3D and would like to join the call for true 3D subtitle support - any more news on this please? [...]
Cheers,
Peter
Hi, i now own a Dune hd solo LITE, bought it for 3d support, bd rip playback with menus,and h d audio passthrough to my yamaha htr4063 ,5.1 receiver (avr).
In these respects, i am very pleased also, with thiis dune. (Comparable to the dune hd solo 4k is the areas i want it for).

I am too, a 3d film fan.
I own a samsung 40" 3d tv and a 3d bd player (lg).

I love now being able to play 3d bd isos even with only a truhd audiotrack, which my lg bd player only does from actual optical full bd discs. Dtshdma was okay from bd rips on dlna on the lg bd player.

I think now, febr 2017, the 3d subs issue has been adressed by fw update.
At least on the solo lite november '16 fw.
I ll test that further later this week.

Anyway,
As the full bd menu support is working fine or acceptable on most bd isos i ran, i am pleased.
(Yes, on the solo lite, i will have to pay for the continuation of bdmenu support after the trial period ends... i took that into account when choosing between a solo 4k and the solo lite.)

All in all ,i am well pleased with the Dune hd solo lite.

Ps i can recommend movie bd 3d "doctor strange (2016)" for its brilliant 3d visuals. It had an 'oscar' nomination visual fx this year 2017.

D69
post #4376 of 5642 Old 02-28-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Well, I guess I will return the player. I plan to wait for the next generation (if there will be one) also including HDMI 2.0. As long as there is no technical support and/or feedback option for users, I might however consider switching to a different manufacturer altogether. I have lost my trust in the Dune brand. That is really a pity as there are only very few players delivering similar performance.

Greetings
Andreas
Good luck with whatever brand you choose to move on to, I hope it works out for you.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #4377 of 5642 Old 03-01-2017, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Intermittent video loss

Hi,

I've read this thread front to back and it's been great reading, so thank you all for the mine of information, but I have an issue I hope someone may be able to shed light on.

My Solo 4K is connected to a Denon X2000 feeding a Samsung 60" Smart TV.

The problem I have is that on occasion the picture blanks completely as if I've turned the Dune off and then the picture returns. If I either turn the TV off and on, this seems to clear the problem, equally if I change input on the amp and go back or switch the amp off and on, that seems to clear it.

Also, it doesn't happen all the time but once it starts, it continues every few seconds until I intervene.

I have a Mede8er, Apple TV, BluRay player and Sky TV box all connected and none of them have this issue.

I have the Dune set to 4K24 output with auto resolution set on and all scaling on the Denon turned off.

Any ideas gratefully received
post #4378 of 5642 Old 03-01-2017, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3921 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywash View Post
Hi,
The problem I have is that on occasion the picture blanks completely as if I've turned the Dune off and then the picture returns. If I either turn the TV off and on, this seems to clear the problem, equally if I change input on the amp and go back or switch the amp off and on, that seems to clear it.
Sounds like you need some new HDMI cables, you need Certified Premium cables everywhere.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
jconjason likes this.
post #4379 of 5642 Old 03-01-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
On that point can you find out when next firmware is due. Its been a long, long time since the last one. Cheers.
It is hard to say it for next release. Can be this week, can be later. Dune is in the middle of some bigger updates in MyCollection, due to opening it for plugins. They do lot of tests, and it is hard to get strict information when they release next public version. RC is almost ready, but they still postpone it and fix some found issues. There is also no information about other fixes and improvements we will get with next release.
But yes, we all wait long time now, and it is really time to get batch of updates.
RaggedEdge and blenky like this.

post #4380 of 5642 Old 03-01-2017, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thumbs down 3d-PGS subs still left+right in HSBS 3d mode film

hi, i have a 3d pgs subs problem:
viewing a 3d HSBS mkv in 3d-mode, the PGS subs remain duplicated (double-2d) on the right and left side of the screen, while the image ((movie) itself is in 3d. unwatchable with subs on!
When i play the same video on my pc with 3d monitor and VLC player, the pgs subs DO appear in 3d once on screen in 3d mode.

This only happens on a 3d-hsbs mkv with pgs subs, not a full BD 3d iso rip with pgs subs.

annoying!

I have File subtitles preference setting set to 'external'.
I have the latest stable Dune firmware installed. (nov. 2016)

PS i have the DuneHD Solo-Lite, not the Solo-4K, but that should not make a difference i.m.o.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page