Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1401Likes

post #1531 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
Cool can't wait to see what you come up with. If I remember right someone said they used V3 on the old Smart series but according to the Zappiti website we should only be able to use V2.
That was probably me. It worked pretty well, the problem was the cloud service that they used to sync your collection to the player could be pretty laggy. I really wish they would release v4 for the new Dunes. It's super fast and the server/client components work really well together.

Looky here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
That was probably me. It worked pretty well, the problem was the cloud service that they used to sync your collection to the player could be pretty laggy. I really wish they would release v4 for the new Dunes. It's super fast and the server/client components work really well together.
As far as the Dune is concerned whats the difference between V2 and V3? (Other than the laggy part)
post #1533 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
No. Zappiti V4 is not compatible with the 4K Solo.

On a side note if I knew how to I would make a make a Kodi type jukebox for the Solo. I wish Dune would get someone to design a new Jukebox for the Solo.

Or make a Go Fund me page so maybe someone like Brian(Binnerup) can make a all new custom version for the Solo hint hint hint lol
The main issue with this is that Dune has no low level API available so developers are very limited with what they can do. It looks like Dune still supports html and limited flash but what you can develop with that is pretty limited, I really don't think dune has released any new 3rd party development information in the last 5 years. So we are stuck with interfaces that are basically web pages unless Dune releases a real SDK.

I would not mind working on a better interface, but what is available in Zappiti, Yadis, and MyMovies are about the best you can do with what is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As far as the Dune is concerned whats the difference between V2 and V3? (Other than the laggy part)
Search Engine, movie wall, marking movies seen/unseen through the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post
The main issue with this is that Dune has no low level API available so developers are very limited with what they can do. It looks like Dune still supports html and limited flash but what you can develop with that is pretty limited, I really don't think dune has released any new 3rd party development information in the last 5 years. So we are stuck with interfaces that are basically web pages unless Dune releases a real SDK.

I would not mind working on a better interface, but what is available in Zappiti, Yadis, and MyMovies are about the best you can do with what is available.
What Zappiti did with Zappiti Dynamic was nice. Just the ability to mark movies watched/unwatched through the player interface is a huge bonus.

Looky here!
post #1535 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Mine is on the truck and is out for delivery this afternoon. Can't wait to get it connected to my network and tinker with it! Thanks again to [email protected] and Blackssr for all the help!
I guess I need to load Zappiti back onto my main server. I have gotten lazy using Kodi. I haven't used Zapitti in quite some time. The last time I used it, I was using the internal drive of my Base 3. I would scrape the files using my computer, then export the zapitti file to the local drive of the Dune. This time I will have the Dune pulling across the wire. Will I need to store the scraped files on a folder on my server, then point Zapitti to that file for it to load the movie wall?
post #1536 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Did someone installed a device for system storage? For my "old" smart B1 I used a SD card but the Solo 4K has no SD slot.
What did you prefer - an standard USB stick with 4/8GB?

Furthermore it seems that the setting for "Auto framerate" is no longer available (setup - video) - is this correct?
post #1537 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Good eye... now that you pointed in out, I agree. The "e" appears slightly truncated. I was focusing on the "n" and the "o". These letters appear normal to my eyes. I am sure the photo adds some distortion as well. At a viewing distance of 12-14 feet the slight truncation is less obvious. I was actually of the on the phone with [email protected] and a Control 4 customer assisting them with their Dune and when I notice you quoted me. Mike and I discussed this in detail, comparing notes and he agreed it should be forwarded to developers for more insight and the possible reason behind it. Hopefully we will have some answers.

Thanks, let's hope they fix this in the next firmware.
post #1538 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post
Did someone installed a device for system storage? For my "old" smart B1 I used a SD card but the Solo 4K has no SD slot.

Furthermore it seems that the setting for "Auto framerate" is no longer available (setup - video) - is this correct?
If i remember right blackssr and Mike said there is no need to set up system storage like the older dunes. I'm at work right now but there is a setting somewhere for both Auto framerate. Should be under Video.
post #1539 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I believe the Solo has build-in System Storage
post #1540 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 2215
Mine will be here in about an hour. Since I've used yaDIS for years with my Dunes, that's all set up and ready to go when the Dune gets here. So those of you looking for a free, solid jukebox/indexer to use with this Solo, I'll give my opinions either tonight or tomorrow.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #1541 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I've just ordered the Dune 4k and plan to use an internal 2.5 HDD but have just realised they is no USB Slave port to access the internal drive. How can I transfer files as I wouldn't want to transfer them via the network as that's too slow especially when I'll be transfers files of up to 50gb.

Cheers

LG OLED65C8
Dune Solo 4K
SKY Q
Xbox One X
Galaxy S10
post #1542 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:

It has a 4gb flash drive so no need for an SD card.

LG OLED65C8
Dune Solo 4K
SKY Q
Xbox One X
Galaxy S10
post #1543 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Mine will be here in about an hour. Since I've used yaDIS for years with my Dunes, that's all set up and ready to go when the Dune gets here. So those of you looking for a free, solid jukebox/indexer to use with this Solo, I'll give my opinions either tonight or tomorrow.
I haven't done much playing but from the little time I had it seemed the same as it was with the older Smart series.(Yadis) ie no problems with the newer Model as far as compatibility.
Only issue I have(small issue not that big a deal) is the extra icon in Zappiti I showed earlier in the thread. It doesnt show on my Smart player but shows on on the Solo and from what blackssr said the Dune 3d I believe.
post #1544 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post
I've just ordered the Dune 4k and plan to use an internal 2.5 HDD but have just realised they is no USB Slave port to access the internal drive. How can I transfer files as I wouldn't want to transfer them via the network as that's too slow especially when I'll be transfers files of up to 50gb.

Cheers
Since the 4k Solo has a gig Lan dependent on the network environment wouldn't transferring them via the network be faster than using the usb ports? Aren't the USB ports 2.0?
jasjw likes this.
post #1545 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Tell me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly (which is not easy as they changed their policy quite a few times...) v3 was at first only for zappiti players, then they opened it to dune players but you still needed a token for that. And this token is linked to your player's serial number. So you shouldn't be able to use it with the solo, and as they won't do anything with dune anymore (and v3 as well, because they want to push their new zappiti 4k on android), there's certainly no way to make v3 work on the solo. And that's why they say to use 2.8.

Do you remember that you needed a token or something special to make it work on your old dune ?
post #1546 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since the 4k Solo has a gig Lan dependent on the network environment wouldn't transferring them via the network be faster than using the usb ports? Aren't the USB ports 2.0?
True, even at the 35MB/sec or so these things usually support, it'll be faster than USB 2.0.
jasjw likes this.

Looky here!
post #1547 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Should be able to start messing around with the 4K over the next few days (hopefully before wife and kids return, but right now work as other ideas )

Cheers
post #1548 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Is they a link to any up to date instructions to setup Yadis 2.3 for the Dune Solo?

LG OLED65C8
Dune Solo 4K
SKY Q
Xbox One X
Galaxy S10
post #1549 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post
Thanks.

Is they a link to any up to date instructions to setup Yadis 2.3 for the Dune Solo?
Setting it up for the Solo is pretty much the same as setting it up for the older Dunes.
Mr. Eric has a tutorial.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...-tutorial.html

You just need to direct your Solo to the export folder. I have a Synology Ds1812 Nas. My export folder and movies are on the NAS. I connect to those folders via a NFS link.
jasjw likes this.
post #1550 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 220
We were unable to complete delivery of your package
Delivery requires a signature from someone at delivery address
See "Resolving Delivery Issues" for recommended actions
See "Preparing for Delivery" for helpful tips

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Dammit, you leave the house for 20 MINUTES and fedex shows up.
post #1551 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I was one of the first to test solo 4k model ..
Having got several different media players, I am really after everything in one box ..

my oppo 93 is superb , but poor on network and I needed more than the 2 Terrabyte capacity on a fixed drive
my nuc pc .. with a modified version of windows media centre , with kodi built in , and playing SACD iso REMOTLY from mobile using foobar program was ok , but too split up ...

At first , the solo disapointed me , then the next day .. after a futher play and messing with skins ... I realize what a cracking picture , it outputs .. especially concerts , hardly any grain in the picture ..
I Tried upscaling to 4k , but it dosen`t really show anything better to me .. most demos I have in 4k all played fine ..

My conclusion is am happy with it now ...
But what i would like to see , is dsf audio support .. Kodi Does it
perhaps DVD- Audio SUPPORT
being cheeky -- SACD ISO support ..

I hope the Android app player , comes soon .. could get round some things there , with a few experiments ..
Also I find with the current firmware on the solo ..that a lot of my older DVD iso`s don`t play too well , freezing at menu points and audio , not playing ..
post #1552 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by prologicac3 View Post
I was one of the first to test solo 4k model ..
Having got several different media players, I am really after everything in one box ..

my oppo 93 is superb , but poor on network and I needed more than the 2 Terrabyte capacity on a fixed drive
my nuc pc .. with a modified version of windows media centre , with kodi built in , and playing SACD iso REMOTLY from mobile using foobar program was ok , but too split up ...

At first , the solo disapointed me , then the next day .. after a futher play and messing with skins ... I realize what a cracking picture , it outputs .. especially concerts , hardly any grain in the picture ..
I Tried upscaling to 4k , but it dosen`t really show anything better to me .. most demos I have in 4k all played fine ..

My conclusion is am happy with it now ...
But what i would like to see , is dsf audio support .. Kodi Does it
perhaps DVD- Audio SUPPORT
being cheeky -- SACD ISO support ..

I hope the Android app player , comes soon .. could get round some things there , with a few experiments ..
Also I find with the current firmware on the solo ..that a lot of my older DVD iso`s don`t play too well , freezing at menu points and audio , not playing ..
If you think the Oppo 93 is superb, you should test drive an Oppo 103D with Custom firmware. Stellar network performance, NO crappy 2TB limit, and flawless playback of Blu Ray ISO and 3D Blu Ray ISO Files. that is my benchmark machine and what the Solo would be going up against tonight had I not missed the damn Fedex truck earlier today!
post #1553 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post

In my case that's what I was scared of happening. I went online and scheduled it to be delivered between 5-8pm. Cost me an extra 5 dollars but it was worth it. I would have literally cried if i missed the delivery yesterday.
post #1554 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Setting it up for the Solo is pretty much the same as setting it up for the older Dunes.
Mr. Eric has a tutorial.

You just need to direct your Solo to the export folder. I have a Synology Ds1812 Nas. My export folder and movies are on the NAS. I connect to those folders via a NFS link.
Thanks, I'll battle my way through it tomorrow. Just hope it's worth the upgrade from the A410.

LG OLED65C8
Dune Solo 4K
SKY Q
Xbox One X
Galaxy S10
post #1555 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Mr. Eric has a tutorial.
I have just gotten my Dune Solo today. yaDIS works great for non-ISO files, but has anyone noticed that when exiting a 3D ISO file while in yaDIS the Dune Solo freezes on a black blank screen, not responding to any IR commands, including PowerOff or PowerToggle. The only way to get out of the black screen is to cycle the power switch off and on. I have not had time to run the 3D ISO files outside of the yaDIS interface yet, but regular ISO files (non 3D outside of yaDIS) do not exhibit this behavior. 3D MKV files do NOT play on the Dune Solo yet. Also if you set yaDIS as a favorite with the option of starting yaDIS on poweron, then place the Dune Solo in standby mode, when you restart the Dune Solo it again freezes in a blank screen.

I have tested several 4K movies and TV shows (all H.264 encoded) and they play fine with my Dune Solos set to 216p, 30 Hz.

LG OLED65G6P Display
Denon AVR-X8500H
13.1 Speaker setup with mostly KEF Speakers

Last edited by ppoulos; 04-28-2016 at 06:58 PM.
post #1556 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just hooked up Solo. Watched 15 minutes of Star Wars 7 so far and it Looks great. Thanks again to @blackssr for all your work
post #1557 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 2215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppoulos View Post
I have just gotten my Dune Solo today. yaDIS works great for non-ISO files, but has anyone noticed that when exiting a 3D ISO file while in yaDIS the Dune Solo freezes on a black blank screen, not responding to any IR commands, including PowerOff or PowerToggle. The only way to get out of the black screen is to cycle the power switch off and on. I have not had time to run the 3D ISO files outside of the yaDIS interface yet, but regular ISO files (non 3D outside of yaDIS) do not exhibit this behavior. 3D MKV files do NOT play on the Dune Solo yet. Also if you set yaDIS as a favorite with the option of starting yaDIS on poweron, then place the Dune Solo in standby mode, when you restart the Dune Solo it again freezes in a blank screen.

I have tested several 4K movies and TV shows (all H.264 encoded) and they play fine with my Dune Solos set to 216p, 30 Hz.
Got mine set up today and had no issues with 3d iso, or the black screen issue you mentioned. I haven't been able to watch a full movie yet but did test mkv, iso, 3d mkv, and 3d iso and all played flawlessly. As expected yaDIS works perfect.

My only issue thus far, and it might be a harmony one problem, but I programmed and learned all the 4k Solo remotes buttons and using the up and down buttons results in it moving 2 spaces. The Dune remote does not do this, and can't get the Harmony One to only move up or down 1 spot.

Anyone else set up the Harmony remote yet?

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #1558 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post

That'll teach ya!

Looky here!
post #1559 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 07:26 PM

I'll be setting the player to output 2160p so I'm hoping the upscaling is top notch.

LG OLED65C8
Dune Solo 4K
SKY Q
Xbox One X
Galaxy S10
post #1560 of 5644 Old 04-28-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Anyone else set up the Harmony remote yet?
I have a Harmony Smart that was already configured for my old Dune Base 3.0. It works fine with the Solo 4K that I hooked up today, and I didn't have any navigation issues.

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) & 203, Apple TV 4K, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page