Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1401Likes

post #1891 of 5644 Old 05-10-2016, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Mediacentermaster is another scraper that has quite solid support from the dev. At one time he was looking into DuneHD support. If enough people follow up on his forums, maybe we can get support rolling again.
There is also 10Muse, although from what I recall I believe development was moved to focus on the App side (iPad) and not the jukebox

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 5644 Old 05-10-2016, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5949
Thanks guys, I just ordered one, it will be here tomorrow.

I have the UHD capable JVC RS600 and also the Samsung 8500 UHD player.

The Samsung can play back HDR UHD clips - do we know if the Dune supports HDR playback?
post #1893 of 5644 Old 05-10-2016, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Thanks guys, I just ordered one, it will be here tomorrow.

I have the UHD capable JVC RS600 and also the Samsung 8500 UHD player.

The Samsung can play back HDR UHD clips - do we know if the Dune supports HDR playback?
No HDR on the Solo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 5644 Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
Dont wait on the android its not worth it. Sigma is not in it for the android market its just there because they can. From what I can gather I have not played with it on the new hardware yet. But when they had android 2.2 running on hardware of the tv102/popbox only thing you could do was watch a video on there player but with no ff/rr/subtitles/hdaudio judging by dunes android page here http://dune-hd.com/firmware/android/ seems like its the same exact setup just android 4.4 on newer hardware. Not to mention you really want android 5.0+ as it gives better access with mediacodec to access low level hardware.
I'm pretty sure that the android part is only there for the apps and mostly hulu, netflix and others. Not to be used as a media player running SMPC and Kodi Why should you use android when you have a linux part that makes almost everything that android can't do...
post #1895 of 5644 Old 05-10-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
I'm pretty sure that the android part is only there for the apps and mostly hulu, netflix and others. Not to be used as a media player running SMPC and Kodi Why should you use android when you have a linux part that makes almost everything that android can't do...
netflix/hulu might be an option on the old one it was not an option as it was one of the low powered MIPS chip so software decoding was out of the question. The dual core ARM should be able to software decode web streams but will be interesting to see if there is audio the old version did not have audio through any android apps.
post #1896 of 5644 Old 05-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikkiedirk View Post
Please get a real audioplayer for that with decent analog circuitry and outputs.

My BDP 450 bluray player can do it, but over HDMI it sounds absolutely rubbish.

It gets completely trashed by my Marantz SACD player.
Thanks for sharing your opinion dikkiedirk. I'd still like to know though... Does the Solo play SACD ISOs?
hart2hart likes this.
post #1897 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It's not listed under supported formats:

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full...dia_players/48

So my guess is no.
post #1898 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Agreed, especially since it is not like we are getting updates. Development of 2.8.15 is dead, it should be left for free use. Obviously Zappiti sees different, and probably figures it is their way of trying to lock in a user to eventually buy in to their media player line.
It certainly seems that Zappitti wants to be a turn-key solution in the video media ripping realm. Accepting that, it's really hard to ask them to cannibalize potential sales of their own products to satisfy customers who opt for other hardware solutions. Is the market space for these devices that huge that any one manufacturer can comfortably live with substantial competition? They're in business after all.

Last edited by Operon; 05-11-2016 at 06:01 AM.
post #1899 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operon View Post
It certainly seems that Zappitti wants to be a turn-key solution in the video media ripping realm. Accepting that, it's really hard to ask them to cannibalize potential sales of their own products to satisfy customers who opt for other hardware solutions. Is the market space for these devices that huge that any one manufacturer can comfortably live with substantial competition? They're in business after all.
All the more reason why myself and others have said we would be willing to pay a fee for their 2.8.15 Zappiti which is no longer under development. This is a business after all, and they would be able to make money on dead software

Cheers
post #1900 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All the more reason why myself and others have said we would be willing to pay a fee for their 2.8.15 Zappiti which is no longer under development. This is a business after all, and they would be able to make money on dead software
So you can pay us $260+ for our brand new device with our latest software or you can pay us $XXX for the old software [what kind of profit do you, as Zappitti, want for a customer not to buy your device?] What are you willing to pay for a license to outdated software? I don't know the answer. I'd pay maybe $50-$60, perhaps, perhaps up to $100 for the convenience. But that's me. For them, I don't know if it's worth it. [Plus the software will always have to be phoning home to verify the software licensee's validity.] Anyway, it's pretty clear Zappitti wants you to buy into their ecosystem.
post #1901 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So you can pay us $260+ for our brand new device with our latest software or you can pay us $XXX for the old software [what kind of profit do you, as Zappitti, want for a customer not to buy your device?] What are you willing to pay for a license to outdated software? I don't know the answer. I'd pay maybe $50-$60, perhaps, perhaps up to $100 for the convenience. But that's me. For them, I don't know if it's worth it. [Plus the software will always have to be phoning home to verify the software licensee's validity.] Anyway, it's pretty clear Zappitti wants you to buy into their ecosystem.
It is a matter of keeping potential consumers interested. The old Zappiti version keeps users such as myself interested in Zappiti. If not for that I have no interest in their newer models or software. As long as I am using Zappiti though that will always keep their name out there to me where otherwise I would not even think twice about them. Agreed as well though, they naturally want to bring everyone 100% into their ecosystem, don't know how successful they will be with that though.
Operon likes this.

Cheers
post #1902 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Zappiti and existing accounts

I rec'd this email in response to question about existing customers with regard to ver 2.8.15 and continued use.

I guess we are good for now.

"Hello,
Yes, they do.
We maintain the service so that our customers can use this version.

Best regards,
Anthony"

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #1903 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
After using Zappiti 4 and the Synology Zappiti server I'd gladly drop $100.00 for it.

Looky here!
post #1904 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Generally I can see Zappiti's point of view. They were in a partnership with dune with their software and the Dune Zappiti edition player. When Dune exited the media player market Zappiti was forced to develop there own player. Now that they have their own player Dune is a competitor.

Selling the old software for something like $25-$50 can mean the potential loss of a sale of one of their players which would net them several hundred dollars in profit. Limiting access to their old software increases the chances of sales of their players. Since the media player market is pretty small this kind of attitude is not surprising.

What I do find surprising is that while people complain about Zappiti, no one complains that Dune does not offer their own front end scraping software. Dune players are the most expensive on the market and are the only one I know of that do not offer their own scraping software. As far as I know, Dune has also never provided a newer SDK for developers so we are limit to third party basic html based interfaces.

Personally I would like to see Dune either develop there own interface or build a nice looking Plex client for their player.
Operon likes this.
post #1905 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
After using Zappiti 4 and the Synology Zappiti server I'd gladly drop $100.00 for it.
So I've heard.
post #1906 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post
Personally I would like to see Dune either develop there own interface or build a nice looking Plex client for their player.
I thought way back in the day the master plan was to have some sort of alliance with MyMovies (Dune handles hardware and firmware, MyMovies handles integrating their software fully). Obviously that hasn't happened.

Cheers
post #1907 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 2230
Quote:
It certainly seems that Zappitti wants to be a turn-key solution in the video media ripping realm.
Zappiti does media ripping now?!

For the record, I'd rather pay Fred or someone else to work on and update yaDIS. Will never give my money to Zappiti after the crap they've pulled in the past. Besides, I like yaDIS better anyway.
a5ian300zx likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #1908 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Quote:
It certainly seems that Zappitti wants to be a turn-key solution in the video media ripping realm.
Zappiti does media ripping now?!

For the record, I'd rather pay Fred or someone else to work on and update yaDIS. Will never give my money to Zappiti after the crap they've pulled in the past. Besides, I like yaDIS better anyway.
I believe they did create a media ripping server.
post #1909 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
I believe they did create a media ripping server.
Yes.

http://zappiti.com/zappiti_nas_rip.html

Don't think its available to ship to US.
post #1910 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I thought way back in the day the master plan was to have some sort of alliance with MyMovies (Dune handles hardware and firmware, MyMovies handles integrating their software fully). Obviously that hasn't happened.
MyMovies has some functionality but not all. The issue in the past was that the Dune player did not have enough power to use all of the features. MyMovies and Zappiti server software are really Web servers running on a PC and the Dune player is basically displaying the html web pages from the server. Yadis and Zappiti non server basically save html files and images in a folder and the Dune player uses these files directly. Either way you are limited to what can be done on a web page.

The popcorn hour players adds to this a bit by also allowing adobe flash based interfaces.

In a perfect world a developer would be able to either develop directly for the chip or be able to develop an android app that can launch a sigma player app that supports all of the sigma chips features.

Last edited by Nitemage; 05-11-2016 at 02:12 PM.
post #1911 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There's no server based mymovies for dune. Zappiti is the only one to do that but I don't think that the dune is displaying any html code either... As for the app you are talking about, I remember that I beta tested something like that on ios from someone on mpcc. It was quite clunky but the idea was there (run the scan and the jukebox from an ios device instead of a pc). I don't know why nobody dug this idea a bit more, may be because it's not that easy... there was also a very good flash based jukebox for dune, done by a Russian guy from HDTV.ru, but there was 2 problems : dune were only able to use flashlite which was already long time dead at this time, and it was also a bit slow on a smart. But visually it was much, much better than anything else on a dune (scrolling text !!! Contextual filters !!! Database search using a virtual keyboard !!!! Amazing for any dune user )and better than nmj in many ways.

As for an app I would say that the mymovie one is on top, I didn't like 10muse backend when I tried it but it was a long time ago and I'm sure that Damian will have better arguments to show that it's also a very good app
post #1912 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 331
DFI was good but its main issue was you still needed a PC to create the catalog. I myself dont care for NMJ they should have left it skinnable and gave more options to customize the look. Its pretty much you get what they give but it fit the bill for people that dont want to run a separate backend. It functioned the same as eversion/yamj. The sigma chipsets support QT as an option for the frontend with it jukeboxes could expand to a whole new level but for some reason no one is switching to it. PCH went with flashlite. Dune kept the strange stripped down folder.txt read thing with flashlite as a side app.
post #1913 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have no need for any GUI atm. Just love scrolling file list using up/down or page up/down button both in pch and in dune.
post #1914 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player

Quote:

I've been using MyMovies for about 5 years. It has steadily been improved. The Windows Media Center interface is dynamic and looks reasonable.

MyMovies have a dynamic interface for the Dune but Solo broke the methodology used to develop. We should encourage Dune and MyMovies to move this forward. It serves them both well in that it is complementary. Dune needs a great Jukebox and MyMovies needs a strong solution other than Windows since WMC has been dropped and software players were never great IMHO.

Even MyMovies existing methodology and presentation is good and runs well. Like the others its creates files for Dune to render. It creates an initial set and in last couple weeks is processing updates to MM collection and "sending" only update to Dune files (add, change, and delete). It Could be made better and again a partnership would help.

I suggest we get behind them working together and see what can be done.

Last edited by hart2hart; 05-11-2016 at 08:45 PM.
post #1915 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yes, I was at the CES show when binnurup was there and that was plan! That's why I went with MM. Mike also showed me a 303D running xmbc.
post #1916 of 5644 Old 05-11-2016, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
great, thank you. How quickly are their developers working on fixes / new releases? I've got a pile of some network media devices that never full got up to speed and were later abandoned. I thought the Me8eter folks have been great with updates over the years.
Zombie - The Solo is the player to get IMO. Minus a few minor issues which Dune appears to be working on, I couldn't be happier with the player. Played every title I've tested so far. A minor quirk with MKV with TrueHD which was easily corrected plus a couple of minor issues with DVD ISO which Dune is aware of and working on.
post #1917 of 5644 Old 05-12-2016, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player

@blackssr asked how we liked the players a week or so ago. My answer is I'm ready to buy a second one. It is fantastic. BD and DVD all play great and a/v quality is excellent. As stated above MyMovies provides a jukebox although integration could be enhanced by both parties to provide much better experience -- dynamic vs current static. Which brings me to a question....

MyMovies exports meta-data to start the process and then updates it as you make changes to movie collection. I've found that responsiveness of Dune Is best when meta-data is on an attached SSD. Over on AVSForum thread found references to replication schemes so MyMovies could update a single instance of meta-dat located on NAS and the suggested solutions would synchronize/update multiple Dunes. Does anyone have a recommendation on best approach.

Last edited by hart2hart; 05-12-2016 at 06:06 AM.
post #1918 of 5644 Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Very strange, rebooted my PC this morning, launched Zappiti (2.8.15) and got a pop up about an update being available

Cheers
post #1919 of 5644 Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart2hart View Post
@blackssr asked how we liked the players a week or so ago. My answer is I'm ready to buy a second one. It is fantastic. BD and DVD all play great and a/v quality is excellent. As stated above MyMovies provides a jukebox although integration could be enhanced by both parties to provide much better experience -- dynamic vs current static. Which brings me to a question....

MyMovies exports meta-data to start the process and then updates it as you make changes to movie collection. I've found that responsiveness of Dune Is best when meta-data is on an attached SSD. Over on AVSForum thread found references to replication schemes so MyMovies could update a single instance of meta-dat located on NAS and the suggested solutions would synchronize/update multiple Dunes. Does anyone have a recommendation on best approach.
ScottJ is the master of Rsync and MyMovies on AVS . Check his wiki or send him a PM if you want to know more : http://scottjohnson.org/wiki/Dune/Updating_Dune_index

If you don't have any attached drive (with movies inside) to your dunes, then no need for Rsync or anything else, just export to your NAS and make all dunes read the same export folder.
post #1920 of 5644 Old 05-12-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart2hart View Post

Just as with Zappiti, you can export movie data to a folder/share on a server and point the Dunes to that location. This way all Dunes with read from a central location.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page