Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1400Likes

post #1981 of 5642 Old 05-14-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I've used a Dune Prime with MyMOvies for some time now.....can MyMovies integrate same way with the 4K?

I don't really like talking about my flair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 5642 Old 05-14-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
I've used a Dune Prime with MyMOvies for some time now.....can MyMovies integrate same way with the 4K?
Yes, Zappiti and YaDis also confirmed working.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #1983 of 5642 Old 05-14-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5454 Post(s)
Liked: 5859
@adidino - great thank you. I definitely want to keep the player as the main limiting factor on the Mede8ter was issues playing back BD ISO with seamless branch. I hope they consider adding the 3D MVC MKV support - a number of the Mede8ter owners I know are using this and it could entice potential sales for Dune if these folks know it will support their existing library.

some things I noticed last night:

When playing a BD ISO, I can't scrub through the timeline using the joy pad on the remote. This works with MKV's.

When playing a BD Full menu and using the chapter selection feature - it can take as long as 10 seconds for the system to react. it looks frozen but eventually makes the change and plays the chapter.

on the fence regarding the remote for this price point - the remote from the Mede8ter is more substantial and better laid out in regard to the buttons. Plus it has a full backlight as well.

I like the small form factor for portability, I just added a 2TB 7mm slim drive from Seagate and it mounted / formatted fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 5642 Old 05-14-2016, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
ScottJ is the master of Rsync and MyMovies on AVS . Check his wiki or send him a PM if you want to know more : http://scottjohnson.org/wiki/Dune/Updating_Dune_index

If you don't have any attached drive (with movies inside) to your dunes, then no need for Rsync or anything else, just export to your NAS and make all dunes read the same export folder.

Thanks. I just tested with server based SSD storage of MM meta-data. Dune attached SSD is so much more responsive that I'll be working through rsync or some other synchronization scheme.

Option to play BD Menu or BD-Lite is fantastic. Can look at special features on new disc to see if anything good (never is ) and/or go straight to start of movie when desired.

Last edited by hart2hart; 05-14-2016 at 10:18 AM.
post #1985 of 5642 Old 05-14-2016, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
@adidino - great thank you. I definitely want to keep the player as the main limiting factor on the Mede8ter was issues playing back BD ISO with seamless branch. I hope they consider adding the 3D MVC MKV support - a number of the Mede8ter owners I know are using this and it could entice potential sales for Dune if these folks know it will support their existing library.

some things I noticed last night:

When playing a BD ISO, I can't scrub through the timeline using the joy pad on the remote. This works with MKV's.

When playing a BD Full menu and using the chapter selection feature - it can take as long as 10 seconds for the system to react. it looks frozen but eventually makes the change and plays the chapter.

on the fence regarding the remote for this price point - the remote from the Mede8ter is more substantial and better laid out in regard to the buttons. Plus it has a full backlight as well.

I like the small form factor for portability, I just added a 2TB 7mm slim drive from Seagate and it mounted / formatted fine.
These are my test results pulling from 64Tb Raid 6 Array.

Remote control tests while watching movies.

MKVs
Chapter Up: +1 Chapter
Chapter Down: -1 Chapter
Fast Forward: + 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x (very fast and responsive)
Rewind: - 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x (very fast and responsive)
Number Keys: 1= 10%, 2=20% etc… (instantaneous)
Direction Up: + 1 Minute
Direction Down: -1 Minute
Direction Right: + 10 Seconds
Direction Left: -10 Seconds

ISOs(Lite Engine)

Chapter Up: +1 Chapter
Chapter Down: -1 Chapter
Fast Forward: + 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x (very fast and responsive)
Rewind: - 1 minute each press. (very fast and responsive)
Number Keys: 1= 10%, 2=20% etc…(instantaneous)
Direction Up: + 1 Minute
Direction Down: -1 Minute
Direction Right: + 10 Seconds
Direction Left: -10 Seconds

ISOs (Full Engine)

Chapter Up: + 1 Chapter (very fast and responsive)
Chapter Down: - 1 Chapter (very fast and responsive)
Fast Forward: + 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x, 64x, 128x (very fast and responsive)
Rewind: - 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x, 64x, 128x (very fast and responsive)
Number Keys: Nothing
Direction Up: Nothing
Direction Down: Nothing
Direction Right: Nothing
Direction Left: Nothing

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #1986 of 5642 Old 05-14-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post
It has a 4gb flash drive so no need for an SD card.
It's been a while since I did this on the H1, but don't I need to "initialize system storage?" When I select that option on the Solo 4K, it tells me there is no storage to initialize-I don't see that 4gb flash drive anywhere. ???

Edit: When I go to settings-information, it says "system storage-not attached." So how do I access the 4gb flash drive for system storage use?

Last edited by Jarod M; 05-14-2016 at 07:26 PM.
post #1987 of 5642 Old 05-14-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5454 Post(s)
Liked: 5859
A few requests to the Dune Dev team for those that have access to them:

• add the ability for the direction buttons to work with full BD ISO
  • when using the directional pad to search through the timeline - add the ability to increase the search speed the longer the button is held down. Right now it's linear. On the Mede8ter, if you hold it down a few seconds, you will start to make larger jumps across the timeline.This makes it very easy to jump across the timeline when looking for a specific scene.

thanks!
post #1988 of 5642 Old 05-14-2016, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Received in perfect condition, works very well...

Received in perfect condition (canada), works very well...

I connect a HDD 4TB WD Blue (see screenshot)

The system is very stable without there currently are no overheating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dune_Solo_with_Extension.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	1438690  
post #1989 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
[QUOTE=prologicac3;44003746]can anyone tell me how to put Zappiti 2.9.16.0 on the dune solo itself .. I have the pc part of it running ok, but cant get short cuts working from the dune itself .. I bought the program today for £23 ..
otherwise I won`t really bother. I want it just for music side of things ..because when I have watched a movie .. its put onto library hard drives and then deleted off the system.

Thank You[/QUOTE

Thank for the replys .. I managed to get theZappiti Icon on my Dune , and put it in favourates, and enable boot at startup , but don`t get anything at all ...no graphic changes or anything .
Is there a certain skin, you have to use , or something ...

Thank you for your patience ..
post #1990 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi to all,

i'm thinking of buying the Dune Solo 4K.

Can you confirm:

1) Can play BDISO and BD Folder with no problem (or minor)?
2) Can play BD in Full Menu navigation with no problem (or minor)?
3) Can play x264 L5.1 10 bit profile?
4) Is an internal hd needed or it can work without it (play via network)?

Thank you very much
post #1991 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlen View Post
Hi to all,
Can you confirm:
Thank you very much

1 - yes, no problem
2 - yes, but some issues with some BD titles
3 - no, 10bit for h264 is not supported, only for h265 codec
4 - it can normally work without internal HDD

DuneHD Ultra4K, Pro4K, Neo4k, Duo4K, Solo4K, Base3D, TV-102w, QNAP/Synology, Fibaro, Sonos, iEast
post #1992 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlen View Post
Hi to all,

Can you confirm:

Thank you very much

I'm a first time Dune owner and can recommend the Solo.

1) Both play well. Also, DVD folders play well but don't have DVD ISO.
2) Some BD with full menu have minor issues. All movies have played as expected. Couple TV series (eg Star Trek TOS) have had issues. I re-ripped them and removed adverts and previews and they play now.
3) No knowledge
4) Play perfectly on 1 Gb Ethernet from a NAS or even a Windows 7 Pro served folder.

I have MyMovies as jukebox since I've been using for 5 years. It appears majority of conversation has been with Zappiti including release of slightly upgraded version for purchase.
post #1993 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Smile New owner of Dune solo

Hi ,i just bought the Dune Solo ,coming from a mede8er x600 3d. After reading bout this new player ,i thought i would give it a go ,wanted a new player with more capabilities and newer chip .Been trying out this Dune Solo ,and its not bad ,not bad at all for starters ,i know its new and firmware need to mature ,but still some things are missing in this player ,what i thought would be a normal feature for a player with this price tag.

Missing a Watched indicator in the dune solo , (coming from mede8er ,this is a super feature and is needed when you have many films and series ,and want to keep track of what is seen or not - Hopefully a watched indicator will be added soon in a new firmware

Secondly with mede8er guess im a bit spoiled , they have a feature to automatic search and download a subtitle for a movie ,hopefully this will be added in a future firmware too .

I was expecting these features to be normal with a media player with such a high pricetag Please add these features as soon as possible

Ofcourse its not all negative , this player rocks ,as it comes to picture quality ,to my eyes better then mede8er

Have to try out this Dune solo a bit more , just got it and im happy with it , just missing a few features i mentioned

post #1994 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The features you are asking for will never come to the dune, no use to old your breath for it... This is due to the very static dune_folder.txt system they use.
post #1995 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
The features you are asking for will never come to the dune, no use to old your breath for it... This is due to the very static dune_folder.txt system they use.
Zappiti Dynamic, or Zappiti 3.0 let you mark items watched/unwatched with the Remote on the last gen. dunes.

http://www.zappiti.com/zappiti_player_dynamic.html

I've been trying to get it to work on the Solo, but no luck getting past the login screen yet.

Looky here!
post #1996 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Where do the BD-ISO's come from?

One man's Junk, is anothers treasure!
post #1997 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
??? You telling me a new media player like the Dune solo ,with a price tag this high , cant compete in terms of features and customisation with an mede8er x600 3d , less then half the price then what ive payed for the dune ???
You kidding me A new ( and i thought a bit more futureproof player) going back to basic - Less features and less classy
A watched indicator is a must have , if you own a lot of films and series , Being a mede8er user for quite some time , i thought a simple thing as a watched indicator would be a standard feature !!!

Cant believe Dune can not even handle a feature like this , Please a confirmation of someone who works on new firmware for the Dune solo.

If its true that Dune solo can not even handle a watched indicator , then it might be a dealbreaker for me , then i probable have to sell the dune gggrrr
post #1998 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunesolo View Post
??? You telling me a new media player like the Dune solo ,with a price tag this high , cant compete in terms of features and customisation with an mede8er x600 3d , less then half the price then what ive payed for the dune ???
You kidding me A new ( and i thought a bit more futureproof player) going back to basic - Less features and less classy
A watched indicator is a must have , if you own a lot of films and series , Being a mede8er user for quite some time , i thought a simple thing as a watched indicator would be a standard feature !!!

Cant believe Dune can not even handle a feature like this , Please a confirmation of someone who works on new firmware for the Dune solo.

If its true that Dune solo can not even handle a watched indicator , then it might be a dealbreaker for me , then i probable have to sell the dune gggrrr
Dune themselves have never written their own jukebox like mede8er has. Regardless, watched status can be shown on the solo with Zappiti 2.x. It's not automatic though, you have to make the change manually using the jukebox manager.

As far as your less features comment goes - The jukebox itself may be better on the mede8er, but for playback the dune is a much more feature rich player. BR Menus, forced subtitle support in mkv files, 3D BR ISO playback are just a few things the Dune handles that the mede8er players simply don't.

In a perfect world we would have the mede8er devs working on dune players, but we don't so there will always be tradeoffs with these devices somewhere. You have to choose which ones you're willing to make.

Looky here!
post #1999 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Dune themselves have never written their own jukebox like mede8er has. Regardless, watched status can be shown on the solo with Zappiti 2.x. It's not automatic though, you have to make the change manually using the jukebox manager.

As far as your less features comment goes - The jukebox itself may be better on the mede8er, but for playback the dune is a much more feature rich player. BR Menus, forced subtitle support in mkv files, 3D BR ISO playback are just a few things the Dune handles that the mede8er players simply don't.

In a perfect world we would have the mede8er devs working on dune players, but we don't so there will always be tradeoffs with these devices somewhere. You have to choose which ones you're willing to make.
If thats so , Then maybe its time for Dune , that they Start making a good working jukebox , For the price of the Dune solo i do expect a bit of service too , Cant imagine making at least a working watched indicator is that difficult to integrate into the New Top mediaplayer from Dune , and cant imagine im the only one wanting this feature in the Dune itself .

Please just confirmation of someone whos working with dune if this simple feature is possible to make for the dune or not
post #2000 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

As already stated the watched status I set at the end of my viewing using the Zappiti Media Center and then a simple increment export will do the trick in a few seconds. Automatic download of subtitles is really just for a very small audience because you can make that choice before you obtain the media content. All in all the Dune Solo is for me at the moment the player to own and with Zappiti it is the closest thing to fabulous playback with eye candy video wall.
Quote:
If thats so , Then maybe its time for Dune , that they Start making a good working jukebox , For the price of the Dune solo i do expect a bit of service too , Cant imagine making at least a working watched indicator is that difficult to integrate into the New Top mediaplayer from Dune , and cant imagine im the only one wanting this feature in the Dune itself .

Please just confirmation of someone whos working with dune if this simple feature is possible to make for the dune or not
There is no need for Dune to allocate resources to creating their own frontend as there are 3rd party solutions that do this extremely well. I use Media Center Master to get all my meta data and it is top notch in getting it. Very few other solutions for your pictures and meta data equal the quality of Media Center Master.

Last edited by one_2go; 05-15-2016 at 12:45 PM.
post #2001 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_2go View Post
As already stated the watched status I set at the end of my viewing using the Zappiti Media Center and then a simple increment export will do the trick in a few seconds. Automatic download of subtitles is really just for a very small audience because you can make that choice before you obtain the media content. All in all the Dune Solo is for me at the moment the player to own and with Zappiti it is the closest thing to fabulous playback with eye candy video wall.

There is no need for Dune to allocate resources to creating their own frontend as there are 3rd party solutions that do this extremely well. I use Media Center Master to get all my meta data and it is top notch in getting it. Very few other solutions for your pictures and meta data equal the quality of Media Center Master.
Unfortunately ,Zappiti isnt free anymore , secondly i do not own a nas ,using hds in my pc , and not all hds are always in use ,sometimes i also use a docking station and use different hds , so making a movie collection database with zappiti isnt the way to go for me , just a simple watched indicator in the dune , like with the mede8er is ideal for me ,if thats not even possible with a top player from dune then thats very sad , they just into selling their machines and no service in terms of feature requests ?

if that is so then i know where i stand , and then this will be the first and last dune product i have bought .
post #2002 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unfortunately ,Zappiti isnt free anymore , secondly i do not own a nas ,using hds in my pc , and not all hds are always in use ,sometimes i also use a docking station and use different hds , so making a movie collection database with zappiti isnt the way to go for me , just a simple watched indicator in the dune , like with the mede8er is ideal for me ,if thats not even possible with a top player from dune then thats very sad , they just into selling their machines and no service in terms of feature requests ?

if that is so then i know where i stand , and then this will be the first and last dune product i have bought .
Just sell it already.

Looky here!
post #2003 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

You may have to return it if you are not happy. I would not count on Dune providing either of the features you are asking for. While Dune makes great hardware there software generally sucks.

For whatever reason Dune has refused to create the kind of software that is now standard on all other media players so you are stuck using 3rd party software. While most of the existing 3rd party software works it is hard to determine if any of these will ever be updated. The Yadis programmer has already stated there will be no additional updates and since he owns the code what is available is it. Zappiti made a minor update in version 2.8 but since they have a competing product it is hard to tell if they will make any additional updates. It is hard to tell is Zappiti will update their Dynamic or not since they would have to rewrite and compile it for a ARM based processor as opposed to a MIPS processor.

The reason these players sell is they have a great picture, support 3D, and currently are the only one that supports full BluRay menus. If you need a player with the features you listed with a great picture but without full menu support take a look at either the Popcorn Hour A500 (uses the same Sigma chip) or the Himedia Q10 Pro. If you also do not require 3D then you can build yourself an OpenElec ChromeBox. Lastly a Windows based NUC would also meet all of your requirements but would require significantly more work on your side. Since most of this would be getting off topic message me if you want any further information.
post #2004 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post
You may have to return it if you are not happy. I would not count on Dune providing either of the features you are asking for. While Dune makes great hardware there software generally sucks.

For whatever reason Dune has refused to create the kind of software that is now standard on all other media players so you are stuck using 3rd party software. While most of the existing 3rd party software works it is hard to determine if any of these will ever be updated. The Yadis programmer has already stated there will be no additional updates and since he owns the code what is available is it. Zappiti made a minor update in version 2.8 but since they have a competing product it is hard to tell if they will make any additional updates. It is hard to tell is Zappiti will update their Dynamic or not since they would have to rewrite and compile it for a ARM based processor as opposed to a MIPS processor.

The reason these players sell is they have a great picture, support 3D, and currently are the only one that supports full BluRay menus. If you need a player with the features you listed with a great picture but without full menu support take a look at either the Popcorn Hour A500 (uses the same Sigma chip) or the Himedia Q10 Pro. If you also do not require 3D then you can build yourself an OpenElec ChromeBox. Lastly a Windows based NUC would also meet all of your requirements but would require significantly more work on your side. Since most of this would be getting off topic message me if you want any further information.
sorry cant do PM , have to make at least 15 posts before im allowed to do that

Frontend 3rd party movie database isnt for me , as i not have all my hds in use all the time , just simple watched indicator .
thinking this is a simple feature and must not be difficult to make , but if its not possible , then im out of options

anyway thanks for your help .
post #2005 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Just sell it already.
No kidding! Seems strange to be having such a fit over a minor "feature". Must have a bad memory and can't remember what he watched?

FWIW, I had the Mede8er 600X3D for about a month. The GUI was pretty bland and clunky. Was slower than what the Dune has.

As for the feature to download subtitles, that's only useful for people that are getting their content illegally. If you own the content then you already have the subtitles.

I understand and respect that not everyone will like a Dune, but for the majority of us, we know what we are getting when we purchase a Dune.

To the OP that's so unhappy, good luck with returning it and enjoy your Mede8er.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #2006 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
No kidding! Seems strange to be having such a fit over a minor "feature". Must have a bad memory and can't remember what he watched?

FWIW, I had the Mede8er 600X3D for about a month. The GUI was pretty bland and clunky. Was slower than what the Dune has.

As for the feature to download subtitles, that's only useful for people that are getting their content illegally. If you own the content then you already have the subtitles.

I understand and respect that not everyone will like a Dune, but for the majority of us, we know what we are getting when we purchase a Dune.

To the OP that's so unhappy, good luck with returning it and enjoy your Mede8er.
For your information , i do own a lot of series and movies , so yeah sometimes its hard to remember what i have watched at first glance looking at episode titles
secondly download of subtile for movies isnt illegal in the netherlands i also have movies without dutch subtitles cause i bought them online other region ,my english isnt that bad ,but if i can have a dutch subtitle its always better .
I do own a 4K tv and upscaling that is done with the solo is better then what my LG tv does , so the solo is staying ,just missing a very easy to have indicator
Also mede8er firmware has getting better , its not so slow anymore as you remember .

Closing topic as i only had a simple feature request , and not getting much support from you all here .
post #2007 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If your most important feature is to have a the watched feature, then you clearly have chosen the wrong player and should have gone the Kodi route. If your most important features are best IQ, playing full rip with menus and having a stable player, then you did the good choice. It's up to you to decide what's most important.

FYI of you want the watched indicator, use the My movies ios/android app. That's the best solution for that.
post #2008 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi ,i just bought the Dune Solo ,coming from a mede8er x600 3d. After reading bout this new player ,i thought i would give it a go ,wanted a new player with more capabilities and newer chip .Been trying out this Dune Solo ,and its not bad ,not bad at all for starters ,i know its new and firmware need to mature ,but still some things are missing in this player ,what i thought would be a normal feature for a player with this price tag.

Missing a Watched indicator in the dune solo , (coming from mede8er ,this is a super feature and is needed when you have many films and series ,and want to keep track of what is seen or not - Hopefully a watched indicator will be added soon in a new firmware

Secondly with mede8er guess im a bit spoiled , they have a feature to automatic search and download a subtitle for a movie ,hopefully this will be added in a future firmware too .

I was expecting these features to be normal with a media player with such a high pricetag Please add these features as soon as possible

Ofcourse its not all negative , this player rocks ,as it comes to picture quality ,to my eyes better then mede8er

Have to try out this Dune solo a bit more , just got it and im happy with it , just missing a few features i mentioned

I'm curious... What things do you dislike most about the mede8er?

"We must smoke to your return"
post #2009 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
If your most important feature is to have a the watched feature, then you clearly have chosen the wrong player and should have gone the Kodi route. If your most important features are best IQ, playing full rip with menus and having a stable player, then you did the good choice. It's up to you to decide what's most important.

FYI of you want the watched indicator, use the My movies ios/android app. That's the best solution for that.

I think that is a little harsh. Even more so they are offering DVB capture option although I dont think there is a scheduling to record on it correct? It would be like asking your DVR to not tell you what you have or have not watched yet. For movies I agree with watched vs unwatched is a minimal item. But for tv that is a different story I do pay for my cable subscription I just happen to use my PC as a DVR and media streamers to be the client. For that watched/unwatched is a must have. For the Premium tag of the SOLO they should try to add more to make up for the cost they are charging. Times have changed a bit and what was the benchmark of just getting basic playback working has since moved to other options. The point for a long time between kodi/xbmc and hardware players was KODI had the UI but not the playback now its kinda flipped kodi has a UI and playback. For 100$ more then the solo you can build a NUC that hits every feature the solo offers and then some and at the other end of the spectrum you can buy players that hit every option but full menus for 200$ less with same stable playback.

Its not a knock on the SOLO I think it was more priced for the EU market a decent DVB capture device is 100$ by itself so including it with the player cost it makes a great option for the EU market. Sadly that means the US market pays 100$ more for something they cant use which makes it seem like you are paying a high cost for very little options here mainly just full menu. If they come out with a "SOLO mini" without dvb for 200-250$. It would make the price a better point for the US folk I think.
post #2010 of 5642 Old 05-15-2016, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not saying that watch/not watch isn't a nice feature to have. I'm using it a lot with kodi for my TV shows and it's a pity that dune is still unable to offer this. But...

...What I don't understand is how you can buy a product which cost more than 300€/$ without looking at what it's able or unable to do and then complain. There's absolutely 0 surprise about this feature once you know and understand that the solo is just like any other previous dune player regarding its front end, which was claimed from the very first day or post in this topic. Not more, not less. And I think that the possibilities are very well documented everywhere regarding the previous dune generations.

You can complain whatever you like, but nobody "lied" (I'm not saying that this word was used) to anyone or tried to imply that one day this kind of feature could appear. The deal was clear on the dune side : you want your rips to play with menus, then the solo can do it. You want h265 and 4k to play, then the solo can do it. End of the story. Everything else and every "may be it does" or "may be one day" is irrelevant. As I always say : buy a product for what it does, not for what you think it will do "one day", because you will always be disappointed.

Now regarding the watch/not watched status you have some solutions on dune players, but it's not as simple and sleek as the Kodi one where you can simply set "if files watched more than X% then flag as watched".

If all you want is that, and you don't care about the rest, by a Pi or a chromebook, it will cost 20% of the solo, will play 1080p with HD audio and autoframerate, with kodi as front end and you will be happy with it. Because at the end of the day who really needs a 4k player today ????
robnix, blackssr and halfelite like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page