Dune HD SOLO 4K Media Player - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1401Likes

post #2011 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastulsa View Post
Where do the BD-ISO's come from?
We create from BDs that we own.
wagnerc likes this.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!

Last edited by blackssr; 05-15-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunesolo View Post
sorry cant do PM , have to make at least 15 posts before im allowed to do that

Frontend 3rd party movie database isnt for me , as i not have all my hds in use all the time , just simple watched indicator .
thinking this is a simple feature and must not be difficult to make , but if its not possible , then im out of options

anyway thanks for your help .
You can't remember if you watched a movie or not? WTF, are you kidding me?

Last edited by blackssr; 05-15-2016 at 07:00 PM.
post #2013 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If its true that Dune solo can not even handle a watched indicator , then it might be a dealbreaker for me , then i probable have to sell the dune gggrrr
I buy for $ 50.00 bucks. Please PM me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Great post Mr. Eric. I think that was a nice summed up explanation for every player on the market. Its a pity that in this day and age we still dont have that elusive do everything player we have all been after for 10+ years now. Hopefully the next generation of sigma offers a bit faster ARM CPU's to make a super nice UI or open it up for the users to create something.
post #2015 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 2230
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I buy for $ 50.00 bucks. Please PM me.
I'll offer $51 😛

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #2016 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Its not a knock on the SOLO I think it was more priced for the EU market a decent DVB capture device is 100$ by itself so including it with the player cost it makes a great option for the EU market. Sadly that means the US market pays 100$ more for something they cant use which makes it seem like you are paying a high cost for very little options here mainly just full menu. If they come out with a "SOLO mini" without dvb for 200-250$. It would make the price a better point for the US folk I think.
I totally agree with you on the DVB part. Useless here in the states and we have to pay for it.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #2017 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great post Mr. Eric. I think that was a nice summed up explanation for every player on the market. Its a pity that in this day and age we still dont have that elusive do everything player we have all been after for 10+ years now. Hopefully the next generation of sigma offers a bit faster ARM CPU's to make a super nice UI or open it up for the users to create something.
In the last 10 weeks or so I have heard every possible complaint about the Dune Solo. A lack of "watched indicator" is the most ridiculous to date. Now I have heard everything. I am so glad I do not sell these things. I would go absolutely crazy with the amount of bizarre requests and complaints. I owned several restaurants in South Florida and I thought those customers were annoying with their special "off the wall" requests. Glad I sold off the restaurants and got out of that business. This media player business is just as crazy. My hats off to [email protected] for sticking with it.

Rant over!

Last edited by blackssr; 05-15-2016 at 07:26 PM.
post #2018 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I'll offer $51 😛
$ 52.00 , I've earned it!

post #2019 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
$ 52.00 , I've earned it!
Well damn, too rich for my blood! Lol

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #2020 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For your information , i do own a lot of series and movies , so yeah sometimes its hard to remember what i have watched at first glance looking at episode titles
secondly download of subtile for movies isnt illegal in the netherlands i also have movies without dutch subtitles cause i bought them online other region ,my english isnt that bad ,but if i can have a dutch subtitle its always better .
I do own a 4K tv and upscaling that is done with the solo is better then what my LG tv does , so the solo is staying ,just missing a very easy to have indicator
Also mede8er firmware has getting better , its not so slow anymore as you remember .

Closing topic as i only had a simple feature request , and not getting much support from you all here .
I have to ask if the Mede8er is getting better and not slow any more and you love it so much why did you bother to even buy the Dune? Sounds a bit fishy to me. You love the Mede8er so much you want to replace it?

post #2021 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blackssr, my ultimate media player list is a mile long of random would be nice features to have that I know will never happen. Core playback abilities is still the most important but would love to see some other things. A couple years ago I even thought about getting into the media player market. Until I actually contacted a few chip makers and all of them had a minimum order amount before you got sdk access.
blackssr likes this.
post #2022 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Blackssr, my ultimate media player list is a mile long of random would be nice features to have that I know will never happen. Core playback abilities is still the most important but would love to see some other things. A couple years ago I even thought about getting into the media player market. Until I actually contacted a few chip makers and all of them had a minimum order amount before you got sdk access.
The perfect player for all users is a pipe dream. We both know that. These players are frowned upon by legit CE companies for fear of backlash. We are niche market and that is all we will ever be. I feel lucky to have players like the Dune. All I care about is awesome PQ, Hi def audio,forced subs and a cool front end. The Dune series deliver on these with ease. I helped [email protected] test this player to create a list of results with the hope of educating potential buyers of what the player is and is not capable of. To complain after the fact, due to not asking the questions before purchase drives me insane. It is like I wasted my time and accomplished nothing. Any time someone asked me to check something, I did and reported back as quickly as I could,with honesty and the facts. I did this in hopes of avoiding the buyers remorse crowd from polluting this tread with whining and trolling.

Last edited by blackssr; 05-15-2016 at 07:23 PM.
post #2023 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am sure if is a lot harder than you could imagine. Whatever the development time and budget you were thinking of, Quadruple it for sure. I have designed $1,000,000 Automation Systems for the US Navy from the ground up and nothing ever came in on time or on budget. Trust me, I have been an EE for 28 years and issues always come up, whether it be engineering design issues or supplier issues. Nothing is as easy as it seems. This media player design venture that you have thought of would be a labor of love and nothing more. Tough business and deep pockets are required to do it right and remember the legal issues.

post #2024 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am sure if is a lot harder than you could imagine. Whatever the development time and budget you were thinking of, Quadruple it for sure. I have designed $1,000,000 Automation Systems for the US Navy from the ground up and nothing ever came in on time or on budget. Trust me, I have been an EE for 28 years and issues always come up, whether it be engineering design issues or supplier issues. Nothing is as easy as it seems. This media player design venture that you have thought of would be a labor of love and nothing more. Tough business and deep pockets are required to do it right and remember the legal issues.
Totally agree our main goal was not run a whole business out of it just software side. We had hoped to keep our cost to a minimum by not designing a complete player. We had originally hoped sigma or marvell would offer just plain reference boards which they do just at a quantity that was not feasible for me or my partner. Then from the reference boards create a software package that had all of our hopes and dreams in it. cases/remotes would be up to the end user and we would have a bounty system for features people wanted and would hopefully be able to opensource our own written framework so people could contribute and just leave anything that needed access to sdk up to us. We wanted to create a community driven player for very specific hardware. We had hoped the minimum quantity was small enough that say once a month we would announce an order was going to be placed and everyone that wanted a player would send the money and we would place the order then flash and mail out the reference boards. But with the quantities needed our business model we had hoped was out the window and neither of us had the time or money to commit 100% to making it an entire business venture.
post #2025 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Yeah, I know there are other options, at the time though using MakeMKV to create a single mvc mkv was an easier option (and likewise I keep all my movies in mkv format so I prefer this as well).
Yes but at this time such MVC-3D mkvs from makemkv are not playable (in 3D) in Dune Solo.
In order to get around that I feed that mkv back to tsMuxer2.6.12 and create an ISO which can
then be playable in Solo as 3D proper.
However I have an issue when such a 3D mkv with a True-HD track is given to tsMuxer.
It seems to not recognize the True-HD track and only takes the core ac3.
This doesn't happen with DTS-HD and only problematic with True HD tracks.
How do you get around this and create a true 3D ISO file (movie only is OK) for the Dune?
(Ex: Terminator Genisys 3D)
post #2026 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
Yes but at this time such MVC-3D mkvs from makemkv are not playable (in 3D) in Dune Solo.
In order to get around that I feed that mkv back to tsMuxer2.6.12 and create an ISO which can
then be playable in Solo as 3D proper.
However I have an issue when such a 3D mkv with a True-HD track is given to tsMuxer.
It seems to not recognize the True-HD track and only takes the core ac3.
This doesn't happen with DTS-HD and only problematic with True HD tracks.
How do you get around this and create a true 3D ISO file (movie only is OK) for the Dune?
(Ex: Terminator Genisys 3D)
The latest tsMuxeR (ver 2.6.12) has no issues with True HD or Atmos with regard to 3D. Once AnyDVD performs its magic, simply load the correct playlist (identified with BD Info) into tsMuxeR and create a 3D MVC ISO. This will retain chapter points and subs if chosen. Works flawlessly every time.

Last edited by blackssr; 05-15-2016 at 10:48 PM.
post #2027 of 5644 Old 05-15-2016, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5949
Solo 4K not working in 3D mode with 2016 JVC projectors

All my 3D testing so far was done with my Sharp 30K 3D DLP. Tonight I tried it with the JVC RS600. The Dune Solo will not work in 3D mode on the 2016 JVC Projectors. I've used 1/2 dozen different 3D sources with the JVC and they all work perfect. It's not a cabling issue. direct to the projector, either HDMI port, etc.

My guess is that the Dune is not reading the EDID info from the JVC correctly and it's not identifying as a 3D capable display.

Can someone please report this? thank you.
post #2028 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
The latest tsMuxeR (ver 2.6.12) has no issues with True HD or Atmos with regard to 3D. Once AnyDVD performs its magic, simply load the correct playlist (identified with BD Info) into tsMuxeR and create a 3D MVC ISO. This will retain chapter points and subs if chosen. Works flawlessly every time.
Yes the playlist trick seems to work well with the tsMuxer. I don't have anyDVD but instead of
creating the 3D mkv, I used the same tool (makeMKV) to do a full backup and then load the
playlist from it into tsMuxer. That seems to work well and I was able to generate the 3D ISO
with TRueHD track intact this time.

I do have another issue however. When Dune Solo plays this ISO file, my Panasonic 3D plasma
automatically switches to 3D mode and plays correctly. However my 3D projector (Epson 5030UB)
doesn't seem to recognize the same and only plays in 2D. Anyone has this issue?
How to get around this? I'm not new to streaming but new to 3D streaming ...
post #2029 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 01:28 AM
jju

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
The features you are asking for will never come to the dune, no use to old your breath for it... This is due to the very static dune_folder.txt system they use.
It is already there.
Dune plugin dune_plugin_mark.it_1.0.1
post #2030 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Would you be able to make an English tutorial ? Google translate isn't really good for Russian and it's hard to understand the page I found on HDTV.ru...

Looks like it's only working when using the basic dune UI file browser. Correct ?
post #2031 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 03:20 AM
jju

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This plugin creates dune_folder.txt but they can only be removed by hand. This simple solution.
Sorry for my English I use on Google Translate . For a long time I read this thread and decided to help .
Yes, using the basic dune UI file browser.
post #2032 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 83
From HD Smart D1 to HD Solo

Hi!
I have a Smart D1 for my home theater and it is doing fine. I've been following this thread since the beginning and enjoy checking and reading it every morning. I'm getting the bug to upgrade to a Solo but not sure if I'll gain anything in my situation, so I would like advise please.

I'm using a Sony VPLHW40ES 1080P projector so no 4K for at least 2 years for me, the high quality 4K projectors are just too expensive right now.
Also, I do not use 3D.
All my BD are full ISO, and a few DVD's with full structure. Everything is on a Lime Technology 10Tb unRAID Server with a hard wired Cat5 network. I have good streaming at over 80Mb speeds
The Smart D1 is connected Redmere HDMI to a Denon X4000 AVR, then to a Darbee, then Projector.
I'm using My Movies on the Smart D1.
I also like to keep my home movies on my server. I notice some of my high bitrate home video struggles at times. Not sure why but I can get around this. My camcorder is 4K but I have to downres to 1080 to play.

So, with my setup do any of you see any advantages to me getting a Solo right now? Possibly faster menu operation? I don't think picture or audio quality would be better? I'm trying to understand if I would benefit from a Solo?

Thanks!

Pioneer UDP-LX500 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Emotiva A-300 2ch amp | Emotiva PA-1 monoblock | JVC DLA-RS1000 Projector | Mini DSP 4x2 | Dune HD Smart D1 | ZIDOO Z9S | Buttkicker system | HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs(2) | HSU MBM-12 MK2 Mid bass module | Klipsch RP-8000F(2) | Klipsch RP-504C | Klipsch RS-62 II(2) | Polk RC80i Ceiling(4) | Carada 134” screen | unRAID 40TB
post #2033 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
All my 3D testing so far was done with my Sharp 30K 3D DLP. Tonight I tried it with the JVC RS600. The Dune Solo will not work in 3D mode on the 2016 JVC Projectors. I've used 1/2 dozen different 3D sources with the JVC and they all work perfect. It's not a cabling issue. direct to the projector, either HDMI port, etc.

My guess is that the Dune is not reading the EDID info from the JVC correctly and it's not identifying as a 3D capable display.

Can someone please report this? thank you.
I tested it on an additional JVC from 2013, no luck with 3D on that model either.

Does Dune have an official support forum like the other Media Players or does all support issues get channeled through this AVS thread?

They could have used a few more beta testers for this price point.
post #2034 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
For your information , i do own a lot of series and movies , so yeah sometimes its hard to remember what i have watched at first glance looking at episode titles
secondly download of subtile for movies isnt illegal in the netherlands i also have movies without dutch subtitles cause i bought them online other region ,my english isnt that bad ,but if i can have a dutch subtitle its always better .
I do own a 4K tv and upscaling that is done with the solo is better then what my LG tv does , so the solo is staying ,just missing a very easy to have indicator
Also mede8er firmware has getting better , its not so slow anymore as you remember .

Closing topic as i only had a simple feature request , and not getting much support from you all here .
You created a user account called "dunesolo" just to post on here hmm suspect.

I manage my watched list using yadis and having extra category called To Watch which is bit manual but don't mind as the player is solid and just works.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
blackssr likes this.

TV: Sony 65" A1E OLED Surround: Sennheiser AMBEO + SVS SB12-NSD Stereo: Yamaha AS500 + Kef Q300 Processor: DVDO Iscan Mini + Darbee 5000S Players: Oppo 203 (Coris) / Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 / VU+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS-871 Pro i7 10GBE
post #2035 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 AM

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I tested it on an additional JVC from 2013, no luck with 3D on that model either.

Does Dune have an official support forum like the other Media Players or does all support issues get channeled through this AVS thread?

They could have used a few more beta testers for this price point.
Do you have hdfury product like the hdmi dr or integral just to see if with one of those in the chain you can pass 3D to the JVC (integral probably better since JVC is HDMI 2.0a & HDCP 2.2 capable). Reason I ask is that my handshaking with my htpc was quite flakey with my sim2 for 3D but fine with tv and the hdmi dr sorted it out nicely.

I would expect you could send an email to the direct or through their US rep for support: http://dune-hd.com/eng/contacts

Sent from my LG-D802T using Tapatalk
post #2036 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
Do you have hdfury product like the hdmi dr or integral just to see if with one of those in the chain you can pass 3D to the JVC (integral probably better since JVC is HDMI 2.0a & HDCP 2.2 capable). Reason I ask is that my handshaking with my htpc was quite flakey with my sim2 for 3D but fine with tv and the hdmi dr sorted it out nicely.

I would expect you could send an email to the direct or through their US rep for support: http://dune-hd.com/eng/contacts

Hi, yes I have an HDFury and didn't have any luck with it last night but will work further on the custom EDID to see if I can shake this issue free on the JVC Projectors.

This is a deal breaker for my setup so I'll see if there is a response from Mike @ Dune and then possibly consider sending it back or keeping it depending on the response.

edit: 3D wouldn't work on the 2012 JVC RS46/X35 so it's not the RS600 HDMI 2.x chipset causing the issue. Mede8ter works fine with the same exact 3D BD ISO's.
post #2037 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 09:52 AM

Liked: 84
Strange that it works on the Sharp but not the JVC's.
Will need to test my Solo on my Sim2 when the shipping container with a my A/V gear arrives.

post #2038 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have an older JVC RS46 but have not tested 3D since I don't watch much 3D. I will check it out tonight. I also have an HDMI doctor so I will check it with and without it in my chain. This should help confirm the issue.
post #2039 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
Hi!
I have a Smart D1 for my home theater and it is doing fine. I've been following this thread since the beginning and enjoy checking and reading it every morning. I'm getting the bug to upgrade to a Solo but not sure if I'll gain anything in my situation, so I would like advise please.

I'm using a Sony VPLHW40ES 1080P projector so no 4K for at least 2 years for me, the high quality 4K projectors are just too expensive right now.
Also, I do not use 3D.
All my BD are full ISO, and a few DVD's with full structure. Everything is on a Lime Technology 10Tb unRAID Server with a hard wired Cat5 network. I have good streaming at over 80Mb speeds
The Smart D1 is connected Redmere HDMI to a Denon X4000 AVR, then to a Darbee, then Projector.
I'm using My Movies on the Smart D1.
I also like to keep my home movies on my server. I notice some of my high bitrate home video struggles at times. Not sure why but I can get around this. My camcorder is 4K but I have to downres to 1080 to play.

So, with my setup do any of you see any advantages to me getting a Solo right now? Possibly faster menu operation? I don't think picture or audio quality would be better? I'm trying to understand if I would benefit from a Solo?

Thanks!
No 3D, not much 4K that you use. No real issues with the D1, I'd suggest you continue with your set up and upgrade when you really feel the need. Right now it sounds as if you don't really need it.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #2040 of 5644 Old 05-16-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post
I have an older JVC RS46 but have not tested 3D since I don't watch much 3D. I will check it out tonight. I also have an HDMI doctor so I will check it with and without it in my chain. This should help confirm the issue.
great, thank you. Please post your feedback in the thread when you get a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page