Alternative to Kaleidescape ? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 94 Old 01-08-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 649
It sounds like you're already narrowing down your options, but I wanted to share my setup as another low-cost alternative:

-Repurposed, low-end PC ($100 Dell off Craigslist for an i3-2120 machine with 500GB HDD and 4GB DDR3) (which is actually more power than I need)
-Rosewill 4U hot swappable 12-bay case ($150)
-Intel 1GbE Pro network card ($30) (better than motherboard mediatek chip)
-Currently using about 10 additional HDDs ranging from 3TB-5TB (for total available space of ~35TB) (prices vary)
-Windows Home Server 2011 ($40)
-StableBit Drivepool and Scanner combo ($35)
-Blu-ray/DVD drive ($60)
-MakeMKV ($50 for the full lifetime version)

Less than $500 total before hard drive costs. I have since upgraded to a Core i5 that I got for free that has AES-IN and some other neat features that I use to do some non-media related server stuff, but overall it's been a solid server. With the exception of a few bad 3TB Seagate HDDs, that is.

Using the above setup, I have backed up my entire Blu-ray and DVD collection (in addition to all my other files and media and Steam library) and can serve up any content to any PC or compatible device in the house (or outside the house using a VPN). Load XBMC/Kodi onto any PC or device, give it the path to the server, and it will automatically scrape media information upon startup. Click "play" to watch/listen. Easy. Likewise, any PC on the Windows HomeGroup can connect and play music, movies, pictures via any other software (VLC, Windows Media Player, etc.) you choose. Very flexible. This setup requires more setup for clients, but not much more.

The StableBit software keeps all my hard drives automatically load balanced, scans for bad sectors, scans SMART data, and automatically moves files off of problematic HDDs before they fail. You can choose to duplicate the entire array or select folders as many times as you want, depending upon how much space you have available. All my movies are duplicated once and all other files are duplicated twice or three times. Then I've also got a subscription to Carbonite for offsite backup. Unlike RAID setups, I can add or remove HDDs and they appear as normal HDDs in other computers and can be easily added or removed from the StableBit pool without issue. It's great software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 94 Old 01-12-2016, 07:03 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
the closest solution to kaleidescape is MyMovies : will rip your disc, can be used with some disc vaults (but I don't know if those are still available on the market...), as home automation options, library mangement, apps to control the system (and more) and tons of other options. And should cost a fraction of a real kaleidescape...

Check their website and resellers if you don't want to build the system by yourself. Only problem : it's based on WMC, which is officially discontinued with Win10, so you are stuck forever with win 7/8.1.

http://www.mymovies.dk/products/wind...ia-center.aspx
I agree with Mr. Eric. And, if you want an easy path Vidabox sells turnkey systems. I'm a Vidabox dealer although most of my customers build their own systems. I use a (self built) MM soultionmyslef, have for many years now. I'm pretty picky about these things and I've been very happy with it. I do use a Dune player to stream the video to my system though, not a MM HTPC.
post #33 of 94 Old 01-13-2016, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks for all the inputs ....anyone help me with finding a Dune player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 94 Old 01-13-2016, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

So, after reading and researching a little, it seems like Dune HD Player is recommended by many.

Mediasonic HDD Enclosure with Dune HD
How does that work ?

Dune HD will detect all the drives in the HDD enclosure ?

My router is not a Gigabit router, will that be a problem to stream bluray movies ?
If connecting the HDD enclosure to Media Player via a USB does not work, I have to stream through Network, so without a gigabit router will that work ?
post #35 of 94 Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian09 View Post
So, after reading and researching a little, it seems like Dune HD Player is recommended by many.

Mediasonic HDD Enclosure with Dune HD
How does that work ?

Dune HD will detect all the drives in the HDD enclosure ?

My router is not a Gigabit router, will that be a problem to stream bluray movies ?
If connecting the HDD enclosure to Media Player via a USB does not work, I have to stream through Network, so without a gigabit router will that work ?
To get the most out of the Dunes, a front end is required. Zappiti and My movies are the most popular. A server or NAS is recommended as well as a hard wired 10/1000 Network. To rip movies, I suggest a lifetime subscription to AnyDVD HD,Clown_BD and tsMuxer. These programs will create 2D and 3D ISOs with Atmos with ease. It is a big commitment but worth the time, money and effort to have a complete video distribution network in your home.

Depending on the number of movies you have will determine the size of storage you need. A good starting point is 20TB or so with Raid 6 if possible. This equates to 7 - 5TB drives.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!

Last edited by blackssr; 01-13-2016 at 12:16 PM.
post #36 of 94 Old 01-13-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
I've also got a subscription to Carbonite for offsite backup.
You back up 32TB to Carbonite?

post #37 of 94 Old 01-13-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
You back up 32TB to Carbonite?
LOL no, just the miscellaneous files, pictures, videos, music. Still about 3TB IIRC. The original Blu-ray discs ARE the backups.
post #38 of 94 Old 01-14-2016, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I am confused here .....

My requirement is :
Should I buy NAS and play it through a Media Player ?
My question above was, that , I dont have a Gigabit Router, I have this one NetGear WNDR3400 N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Will that do the job ?

other option was buying a HDD Enclosure and a Media Player. For this option I want to connect HDD Enclosure to my PC by eSATA and copy all my BDs.and again connect the HDD Enclosure via USB to the Media Player. The problem here is that Media Player will not see all the drives on the HDD enclosure and neither will my PC. So need help with that.

Please help me out in these 2 options.
post #39 of 94 Old 01-14-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am confused here .....

My requirement is :
Should I buy NAS and play it through a Media Player ?
My question above was, that , I dont have a Gigabit Router, I have this one NetGear WNDR3400 N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Will that do the job ?

other option was buying a HDD Enclosure and a Media Player. For this option I want to connect HDD Enclosure to my PC by eSATA and copy all my BDs.and again connect the HDD Enclosure via USB to the Media Player. The problem here is that Media Player will not see all the drives on the HDD enclosure and neither will my PC. So need help with that.

Please help me out in these 2 options.
First thing first. If you want to stream full BD rips over LAN, forget wireless. You need a hard wired LAN, preferably GB. Some on here will tell you it is possible, in my 5 years of dealing with home user networks and installing over 30 setups, I can tell you first hand, wireless will not work. It may work some of the time, but some of the higher bit rate rips are quite large and require a stable hardwired connection for flawless playback.

What media player did you decide to get? Then we can continue.

post #40 of 94 Old 01-14-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

If quality is your most important requirement, disc is it. I'd have to do the math, but I'm not certain a network can handle an uncompressed Blu-ray sized stream in real time...can it? It must be able to...either way, this should be an interesting thread.
I make 1:1, bit-for-bit Blu Ray RIPs using a program called MakeMKV. The files are in fact 20-35 GB. Very large, as you indicated. But 5 TB external drives are not very much money these days, and that'll probably get you 175-200 movies per USB drive... so you can have a pretty extensive collection for about $200 in memory and two available USB slots.

And you can absolutely stream losslessly over your Network. I've been doing it for years with an old Western Digital WDTV Live. As those now have firmware/hardware freeze/glitch problems, I've moved on to NVidia Shields, which will also do the trick...
post #41 of 94 Old 01-14-2016, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
GB Lan not necessarily a requirement. I do have GB Lan but the Dune media player only has a 100MB Lan connection and it plays back all my ripped BDs.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #42 of 94 Old 01-14-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First thing first. If you want to stream full BD rips over LAN, forget wireless. You need a hard wired LAN, preferably GB. Some on here will tell you it is possible, in my 5 years of dealing with home user networks and installing over 30 setups, I can tell you first hand, wireless will not work. It may work some of the time, but some of the higher bit rate rips are quite large and require a stable hardwired connection for flawless playback.

I'm not sure I agree with this in 2016. And note I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, because I'm a firm believer in using a hard-wired connection whenever you can. I have a 16-port GB switch behind my main theater.

But, if you have a "good" AC-capable router, one that gets very high marks for signal range (I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, and I would classify it as such), and an AC-capable streaming device (I have three NVidia Shields, one on each floor of my house), I think you can get it done today. There are so many "open channels" available on the 5 GHz band... and AC is capable of SERIOUSLY fast speeds. I pay for 105 Mbps Comcast Internet, and ROUTINELY test at 109ish Mbps, basically anywhere in my house, wirelessly on my AC-capable phone (Samsung Galaxy S5).

Again, if you can run a Cat5e (or Cat6) ethernet cable, you should... I'm just saying that, if you can't, a *GOOD* AC-capable router and an AC-capable box can probably get the job done in 2016...
nathanddrews likes this.
post #43 of 94 Old 01-14-2016, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_2go View Post
GB Lan not necessarily a requirement. I do have GB Lan but the Dune media player only has a 100MB Lan connection and it plays back all my ripped BDs.
Full 3D ISO can reach saturation on 10/100 and cause stutter. GB is preferred.

post #44 of 94 Old 01-14-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this in 2016. And note I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, because I'm a firm believer in using a hard-wired connection whenever you can. I have a 16-port GB switch behind my main theater.

But, if you have a "good" AC-capable router, one that gets very high marks for signal range (I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, and I would classify it as such), and an AC-capable streaming device (I have three NVidia Shields, one on each floor of my house), I think you can get it done today. There are so many "open channels" available on the 5 GHz band... and AC is capable of SERIOUSLY fast speeds. I pay for 105 Mbps Comcast Internet, and ROUTINELY test at 109ish Mbps, basically anywhere in my house, wirelessly on my AC-capable phone (Samsung Galaxy S5).

Again, if you can run a Cat5e (or Cat6) ethernet cable, you should... I'm just saying that, if you can't, a *GOOD* AC-capable router and an AC-capable box can probably get the job done in 2016...
Like I said some will say it works. I have never played an entire 3D ISO over wireless (AC) without at least a few hiccups or stutters. Your mileage will vary and the debates will continue. I want flawless playback all the time. Only a hard wired connection can provide this. I have done more installs than most on here as it is part on my business. I have received more feedback from end users to back up my statement based on many different scenarios.

post #45 of 94 Old 01-14-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Like I said some will say it works. I have never played an entire 3D ISO over wireless (AC) without at least a few hiccups or stutters. Your mileage will vary and the debates will continue. I want flawless playback all the time. Only a hard wired connection can provide this. I have done more installs than most on here as it is part on my business. I have received more feedback from end users to back up my statement based on many different scenarios.
I have zero experience with 3D iso's, so I have no reason to doubt you.

I feel pretty confident that, if a hardwire wasn't available, I could stream my 2D MKV bluray rips (with HD Audio) over AC, with pretty good reliability, on my network, in my home, with my router. JMO.
post #46 of 94 Old 01-14-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I have zero experience with 3D iso's, so I have no reason to doubt you.

I feel pretty confident that, if a hardwire wasn't available, I could stream my 2D MKV bluray rips (with HD Audio) over AC, with pretty good reliability, on my network, in my home, with my router. JMO.
Try it on a full bit rate Blu-ray movie and I bet that you will see some stutter and/or buffering several times during playback. Speed test on you phone is not hard data and worthless info. Several days worth of actual living with the wireless connection will tell a much different tale. Trust me I have done it and got the bitching phone calls from unhappy customers who insisted we try wireless first because they didn't want to pay for cable drops.

Last edited by blackssr; 01-14-2016 at 01:48 PM.
post #47 of 94 Old 01-14-2016, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks blackssr,
My choice is Mede8er 600
But again the same question, I dont want to go towards the NAS option unless it is required, so, my priority is HDD Enclosure. Connecting the HDD Enclosure to my PC to copy all BDs via eSATA and connect the HDD Enclosure via USB to Mede8er. The problem as I explained above, that neither Mede8er nor my PC will see all the drives on my HDD Enclosure. Need solution to that, based on the possibilities to install HDD Enclosure and Media player combination I will plan to run through network with NAS.

Thanks
post #48 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks blackssr,
My choice is Mede8er 600
But again the same question, I dont want to go towards the NAS option unless it is required, so, my priority is HDD Enclosure. Connecting the HDD Enclosure to my PC to copy all BDs via eSATA and connect the HDD Enclosure via USB to Mede8er. The problem as I explained above, that neither Mede8er nor my PC will see all the drives on my HDD Enclosure. Need solution to that, based on the possibilities to install HDD Enclosure and Media player combination I will plan to run through network with NAS.

Thanks
In order for the PC to see all the drives via esata, a port multiplier is required. USB should not be a problem seeing all the drives on the PC. Am I correct in the fact that you plan to have both the Media player and the PC connected to this 4 bay box at the same time? If so, then I assume both are very close to each other? If that is the case, forgo the box and just add drives to the PC and set up a SMB share and have the player pull from the PC via a 4 port GB switch.

post #49 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For what it's worth, 3-D Blu-ray is only allowed to use *up to* 60Mbps, which is 50% more than the regular 40Mbps limit. Keep in mind that this is for video only, not audio. Any 100Mbps wired connection should be adequate, but there are many other factors to consider. Latency, jumbo frames, network activity, duplexing, etc. Gigabit (GbE, 1,000Mbps, 1Gb) offers much greater breathing room. Wireless AC can work, but it's got to be a decent setup. I can stream SOME Blu-ray MKVs over Wireless-N, but there usually ends up being buffering no matter what I try.

The best part about GbE is that it should also be more than enough for UHD Blu-ray backups.
post #50 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In order for the PC to see all the drives via esata, a port multiplier is required. USB should not be a problem seeing all the drives on the PC. Am I correct in the fact that you plan to have both the Media player and the PC connected to this 4 bay box at the same time? If so, then I assume both are very close to each other? If that is the case, forgo the box and just add drives to the PC and set up a SMB share and have the player pull from the PC via a 4 port GB switch.
Yes, I am planning to connect both PC and Media Player to this 4 bay box.
The problem is Mede8er will not read all the drives in the HDD bay. Any solution to that ? or should I pick any other player other than Mede8er ?
I am not sure whether my mobo will support that much size drives, my mobo is ASUS Sabertooth X58, will that support 4TB and more ? and What is SMB share ? (sorry to ask but am new to this)
What is a 4 port GB switch ?
Please dont mind me asking these questions.
post #51 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
For what it's worth, 3-D Blu-ray is only allowed to use *up to* 60Mbps, which is 50% more than the regular 40Mbps limit. Keep in mind that this is for video only, not audio. Any 100Mbps wired connection should be adequate, but there are many other factors to consider. Latency, jumbo frames, network activity, duplexing, etc. Gigabit (GbE, 1,000Mbps, 1Gb) offers much greater breathing room. Wireless AC can work, but it's got to be a decent setup. I can stream SOME Blu-ray MKVs over Wireless-N, but there usually ends up being buffering no matter what I try.

The best part about GbE is that it should also be more than enough for UHD Blu-ray backups.
Transformers 3D with Atmos peaks at around 78 mb/s in the IMAX scenes. I have a Dune Base 3D. The read test shows 34 MB/S over GB LAN.

post #52 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

I understood what a 4 port GB switch is. But how to connect PC and Media Player ?
So I just plug in the ethernet cable from PC to this switch and another ethernet cable from Media Player to this switch. Am I right ?
post #53 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The problem is Mede8er will not read all the drives in the HDD bay. Any solution to that ? or should I pick any other player other than Mede8er ?
I am not sure whether my mobo will support that much size drives, my mobo is ASUS Sabertooth X58, will that support 4TB and more ? and What is SMB share ? (sorry to ask but am new to this)

Need help about the above message please.
post #54 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is a 4 port GB switch ?
Great Motherboard and supports on board Raid 5 with Intel RST software. Has 8 sata ports. 1 for OS, 1 for DVD/BD and the other 6 can be used for Raid 5 with 6 drives. Set up a single large GPT Raid 5 array with 1 drive letter.
SMB is standard share in Windows.
It will support over 4TB drive as GTP Partition or Raid. I do not think you can boot from over 3TB. Not sure off the top of my head.
I am a big fan of Dune and have hooked up a few KDlinks A300/Kodi in the last few weeks.
The medi8er only see one drive via USB?

post #55 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Great Motherboard and supports on board Raid 5 with Intel RST software. Has 8 sata ports. 1 for OS, 1 for DVD/BD and the other 6 can be used for Raid 5 with 6 drives. Set up a single large GPT Raid 5 array with 1 drive letter.
SMB is standard share in Windows.
It will support over 4TB drive as GTP Partition or Raid. I do not think you can boot from over 3TB. Not sure off the top of my head.
I am a big fan of Dune and have hooked up a few KDlinks A300/Kodi in the last few weeks.
The medi8er only see one drive via USB?
Well, in that case, can I use a 1TB HDD for booting and installing OS and another 2 Drives each 4 TB that will be 8TB which will be used for storage. Can I do that ?
Yes, I spoke with Mede8er customer support, to my surprise the Managing Director has sent me a reply about this issue, last week they have installed the same kind of setup that I am planning to(which is connecting the player through USB) and it did not work out, only 1 drive was being read by the player and finally they had to run it through network.
Dune can read all drives in a HDD Enclosure ? which model of Dune should I buy ?
post #56 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Just for information, my PC is 64 bit. Windows 7 64 bit.
post #57 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, in that case, can I use a 1TB HDD for booting and installing OS and another 2 Drives each 4 TB that will be 8TB which will be used for storage. Can I do that ?
Yes, I spoke with Mede8er customer support, to my surprise the Managing Director has sent me a reply about this issue, last week they have installed the same kind of setup that I am planning to(which is connecting the player through USB) and it did not work out, only 1 drive was being read by the player and finally they had to run it through network.
Dune can read all drives in a HDD Enclosure ? which model of Dune should I buy ?
I would recommend networking it. This way if you add more media players you can just pull from SMB share.
I have networked the Dunes. I doubt it can read more than one drive locally anyway.
2 Drives are not enough for a Raid 5. Can you get two more? That would give about 10.5 TB Raid 5.

post #58 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just for information, my PC is 64 bit. Windows 7 64 bit.
Your equipment is great. Your application needs help.

post #59 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would recommend networking it. This way if you add more media players you can just pull from SMB share.
I have networked the Dunes. I doubt it can read more than one drive locally anyway.
2 Drives are not enough for a Raid 5. Can you get two more? That would give about 10.5 TB Raid 5.
I been reading about raid 5 and other stuff
Understood that Raid 5 needs minimum of 3 HDDs.
So, now I just need a 4 port gigabit switch, that can connect my PC and Media Player, right ?
and the connectivity is ethernet cable from PC to GB switch and another ethernet cable from Media Player to GB switch ... right ?
post #60 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Your equipment is great. Your application needs help.
Thanks, seems like am not making the most out of it now is the time then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page