Alternative to Kaleidescape ? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #61 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just to confirm once again, there will not be any problem in mounting 3 more drives each 4TB onto my motherboard, I mean it will read them all ... right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian09 View Post
I been reading about raid 5 and other stuff
Understood that Raid 5 needs minimum of 3 HDDs.
So, now I just need a 4 port gigabit switch, that can connect my PC and Media Player, right ?
and the connectivity is ethernet cable from PC to GB switch and another ethernet cable from Media Player to GB switch ... right ?
Yes, however that switch needs to get DHCP from Router. Do you have a cable drop to that PC now? or is the PC wireless to the Router?

Dude, If you want, PM me a phone number. We can get a lot more done with a 10 minute conversion than 2 days worth of Typing. My name is Mike
Brian Hampton likes this.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #63 of 94 Old 01-15-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian09 View Post
Just to confirm once again, there will not be any problem in mounting 3 more drives each 4TB onto my motherboard, I mean it will read them all ... right?
That Intel chipset is i7 gen 1. If memory serves me correctly it identifies above 3 TB but can not boot from them. It has been several years since I worked on/built a gen 1 system. If in doubt just plug one of your 4 TB drives into the Intel controller, not the marvel. If you have the Intel RST loaded the drive will be recognized. Go to drive manager and format with a GPT partition.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 94 Old 01-16-2016, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Yes, however that switch needs to get DHCP from Router. Do you have a cable drop to that PC now? or is the PC wireless to the Router?

Dude, If you want, PM me a phone number. We can get a lot more done with a 10 minute conversion than 2 days worth of Typing. My name is Mike
Hey Mike,
PC is connected Wireless to router, not wired. That's the problem, the reason why I want a HDD Enclosure connecting both PC and Media Player is that.

Sent u a PM
Thanks for all the help Appreciate a lot.
post #65 of 94 Old 01-16-2016, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well, after alot of debate and all discussion, I got good recommendations for Dune. What I'll do is get a Dune HD Base 3D with Internal HDD upto 4TB, I shall upgrade to NAS later with wiring and all and then I will run through NAS. What do you say ?
post #66 of 94 Old 01-16-2016, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Would like to know whether Dune HD Base 3D can play all Dolby or DTS formats, nothing specifically mentioned in the website, but they say that it plays all top audio formats. There is an option though to bypass PCM or bitstream I think so.
post #67 of 94 Old 01-17-2016, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Dune HD Base 3D does not have a IR Remote control ?
post #68 of 94 Old 03-06-2017, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 58
VidaBox and Roku Ultra ?

VidaBox sounds like a very nice product, a dealer on this thread recommended it. I have a few questions. My needs are simple, I would like to digitize all my blu ray discs so that I am able to play movies or documentaries without having to physically insert original blu ray discs. A nice easy to use interface that is automatically created by the system is welcome and really helps (love the Apple TV interface, saw it at a friends place). I have a good managed gigabit switch in a separate room and prefer hard-wiring components for maximum performance, this avoids devices eating into the domestic 802.11AC wireless infrastructure and enhances reliability. I'd like the Video-NAS to be connected to the switch in the separate room and the player (with disc ripping ability) to be in the home theatre room. Both devices will be connected to the gigabit switch via CAT-6 Ethernet cable. I should then be able to insert an original disc and rip it to the video NAS with complete ease. A disc ripping progress bar should show on the console and a clear message should indicate when it's done. Menus should update instantly and reflect in my home theatre room as well as my living room that has a wall mounted TV. I presume I would just need another player in my living room. Some questions:-

1. Is the RIPing system able to overcome blu ray disc protection ? I don't want problems as I tend to buy blu Ray discs from all over the world (A, B and C). Rip quality should be 1:1 under a non-lossy compression algorithm. I'm sure mkv is capable of that.

2. It would be nice to easily access a family video folder on the NAS so that family videos (children birthday parties, family holidays) can be featured too including a nice way to title them. The system would automatically present them in a nice way. Same applies to family photos. Would be nice if family photos and vids could be featured on wireless devices owned by us e.g. Smart phones and tablets.

3. Is there a service that allows purchase of blu Ray movies at 1:1 quality ? This is a pain as big file downloads take a lot of time and high speed internet is expensive. However, it is better than a failed disc RIPing attempt due to protection.

4. Is the system Atmos compatible ?

5. Is the system 4K/60 and HDR compatible or expandable ?

6. How is the system controlled ? - dedicated remote or android/iPhone app ?

7. I noticed VidaBox changed hands last year, is it still being run by the same team and has excellent support ?

All I want is a simple to set-up and easy to use system that is reliable and a joy to use for the entire family including kids. The impression I get is that kaleidescape offers that but it is an expensive solution.

Last but no least, is anyone out there using streaming media servers for both free and paid services e.g. Netflix. Are there better paid services out there for better and more current content ?

I am tempted to go for Apple TV but the Roku Ultra seems to be very popular and offers 4K/60 and HDR10. Please let me have your views ?

Last edited by Sam Ash; 03-06-2017 at 02:35 AM.
post #69 of 94 Old 03-06-2017, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 998
My Alternative to K given just as a point of reference:

HTPC - i7, SSD, 16GBRAM, Nvidia 1060

NAS - 4 x 4bay nas with 4x4TB drives in each. My NAS is Lenovo and I tended to get them under $100... not the nicer Synology but they have been bullet proof and I have no performance problems. They don't transcode or run Plex but then I don't transcode or run Plex.

Software = JRiver.

Just giving this because it works so well for me. I know others who have working solutions are convinced in how well their solutions work and I am fine with that.
post #70 of 94 Old 03-06-2017, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote "3. Is there a service that allows purchase of blu Ray movies at 1:1 quality ?"

?? Kaliedescape says you can purchase special UV copies that are actual 1:1 blu ray copies... they are the only service for this aside from you know buying blu rays which is still a pretty good way to go.
post #71 of 94 Old 03-06-2017, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I built a home media pc, dual core, 8gb ram, raid card, larger case to hold lots of hdds, and a small ssd to run the OS on. Has 40TB of storage in raid 6, with 8x5TB hdd's, raid card, 10Gb fiber nic, and running windows 10. Cost like $2000 all new except the 10Gb nic I got used off ebay.

I have Dune Smart players in a few rooms and it works great. I rip movies to computer by having anydvd hd and then use clown bd to only pull the main movie. All my content is in .iso format and is not compressed in any way shape or form. Works great and I've been able to watch 4 movies at once (2 on dunes and 2 on a different computer.) I will say due to my drives being 5900 rpm and they are smr drives if I am writing to the array I cannot watch a bluray movie as it will stutter. A dvd movie is fine. After the writing to the drive is finished (being raid 6 it takes a bit afterwards to finish the parity) it is fine again. If you get 7200 rpm drives this issue wouldn't be as noticeable but 7200 rpm drives are hotter and use more power as well as cost more. However after you get all your movies on the new system you won't write much except when you add new ones.

I've never used any other media device such as popcorn hour or med8er so can't comment on those. The dunes are awesome as they will play full menu if you don't use clownbd and just make an iso of the entire disk. If you need 3d you will have to get the 3d dune player which then cannot show menus. I prefer no menus as the movie starts right away and you usually save a ton of space by just ripping the movie only.
post #72 of 94 Old 03-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I have Plex Media Server running on an 8-Bay QNap NAS with a quad-core 2.0Ghz Celeron and 8GB DDR3. The client in my main system is an MSI Cubi mini-PC (Intel Core i3, 8GB DDR3L, 64GB mSATA SSD) running the embedded version of OpenPHT with the Aeon Nox skin. OpenPHT is an open source Plex client built on Kodi underpinnings. It will play pretty much anything without transcoding, although I do not think you can use .iso files with Plex. I use MakeMKV to rip the main title and stick it in an mkv container. There is no processing or compression applied. I'm just grabbing the title, soundtrack and subtitle components I want and shoving them into a container. It is a bit-perfect rip. This solution can handle advanced codecs without drama, so things like Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-Master and Atmos work fine. The client is embedded, so it runs like an appliance. If anything goes wonky, a simple reboot fixes it. The interface is gorgeous. Everything is super fast and fluid. The best thing is that it comes with all of the power and flexibility of the Plex back-end.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #73 of 94 Old 06-23-2017, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I may be in the minority here, but I'd say just get the Kaleidescape! Save up for the best media server rather than find something "almost as good as" it.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #74 of 94 Old 06-27-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Try it on a full bit rate Blu-ray movie and I bet that you will see some stutter and/or buffering several times during playback. Speed test on you phone is not hard data and worthless info. Several days worth of actual living with the wireless connection will tell a much different tale. Trust me I have done it and got the bitching phone calls from unhappy customers who insisted we try wireless first because they didn't want to pay for cable drops.
Since this thread was already revived from the dead, I'd like to take a minute to point out you are providing great advice for the majority. That being said, wireless AC will absolutely, guaranteed stream everything available at the moment. If you are a borderline network masochist like myself then a "hot" AC connection will get you well above a steady 100 Mbps without issue. No BS or half-canned response from me here, I regularly do this on a daily basis. I have an AC mesh network in the house with wired backhaul. I keep one of my shield's on direct AC (stupid bedroom wall is external, too lazy to do the drop there). We stream everything from our server, direct play in SPMC. I have all full quality rips, including MVC mkvs as well as any atmos tracks. No hiccups

Most (99%) are not network enthusiasts, this will not work for *most* - and even for me every other playback device (at screens located on interior walls) in the house is hard-wired (k.i.s.s.)
post #75 of 94 Old 06-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

I know this is an old thread but it is very interesting and informative.

Any developments in the easy to use and cost effective movie server world ?

Reliability, ease of use, lovely interface and cost effectiveness still remain key factors.
post #76 of 94 Old 06-27-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
I know this is an old thread but it is very interesting and informative.

Any developments in the easy to use and cost effective movie server world ?

Reliability, ease of use, lovely interface and cost effectiveness still remain key factors.
No, I don't think any such service exists the provides the same quality and ease of use as kaleidescape. The Apple TV 4K with iTunes Movies or Vudu will provide ease of use very good quality, but video bitrate is obviously not as high and there is no lossless audio. You can obtain the same (maybe better?) quality ripping UHD blu-rays yourself. With devices like the Shield and Apple TV 4K, the client side of things can be very easy to use with an attractive interface (see Plex, Infuse, MrMC, etc.). You can also buy a NAS off the shelf that is easy to use. The less friendly part is ripping the actual discs, which if you want to do it right involves ripping the main video and audio tracks into an MKV and (probably the most annoying part) selecting forced subtitles appropriately. MyMovies has been around forever that automates most of this, but it still won't be as convenient as Kaleidescape (although it is a hell of a lot less expensive).
post #77 of 94 Old 06-28-2018, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
No, I don't think any such service exists the provides the same quality and ease of use as kaleidescape. The Apple TV 4K with iTunes Movies or Vudu will provide ease of use very good quality, but video bitrate is obviously not as high and there is no lossless audio. You can obtain the same (maybe better?) quality ripping UHD blu-rays yourself. With devices like the Shield and Apple TV 4K, the client side of things can be very easy to use with an attractive interface (see Plex, Infuse, MrMC, etc.). You can also buy a NAS off the shelf that is easy to use. The less friendly part is ripping the actual discs, which if you want to do it right involves ripping the main video and audio tracks into an MKV and (probably the most annoying part) selecting forced subtitles appropriately. MyMovies has been around forever that automates most of this, but it still won't be as convenient as Kaleidescape (although it is a hell of a lot less expensive).
Thanks Lockdown, what you've said makes a lot of sense. I tend to lean a little towards Apple products (e.g. Apple TV 4K) because of the reliability factor unless the Shield has better performance and reliability. My objective is to have a perfect lossless MKV file based on 1:1 copy for all my 1080p and 4K blu ray discs so that my entire library is immediately accessible for playback via a nice interface.

1. The Apple TV 4K or Shield would be connected via HDMI to my processor, so that the processor can deal with all the sound formats including Atmos - is this possible ?
2. Do both devices handle switching between colour space settings ? Tone-mapping and the ability to get it right is still a pain. I am hoping that my projector will be capable of automatically selecting the right colour profile and luminance settings internally with future firmware upgrades. Do you have any idea if Kaleidescape has resolved this issue ?
3. What is the best way to RIP discs in a painless manner without having to invest a ton of money ?
4. I don't really need a network drive (NAS), a big fast and cost effective USB3 drive connected directly to the media player would be fine. Although, the idea of a NAS accessible everywhere in the house is attractive. Would it work on 802.11AC wireless infrastructure in your opinion ?

What about products like Dune HD and Zappiti - any good ? or do they offer any added benefit ?
post #78 of 94 Old 06-28-2018, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Thanks Lockdown, what you've said makes a lot of sense. I tend to lean a little towards Apple products (e.g. Apple TV 4K) because of the reliability factor unless the Shield has better performance and reliability. My objective is to have a perfect lossless MKV file based on 1:1 copy for all my 1080p and 4K blu ray discs so that my entire library is immediately accessible for playback via a nice interface.

1. The Apple TV 4K or Shield would be connected via HDMI to my processor, so that the processor can deal with all the sound formats including Atmos - is this possible ?
2. Do both devices handle switching between colour space settings ? Tone-mapping and the ability to get it right is still a pain. I am hoping that my projector will be capable of automatically selecting the right colour profile and luminance settings internally with future firmware upgrades. Do you have any idea if Kaleidescape has resolved this issue ?
3. What is the best way to RIP discs in a painless manner without having to invest a ton of money ?
4. I don't really need a network drive (NAS), a big fast and cost effective USB3 drive connected directly to the media player would be fine. Although, the idea of a NAS accessible everywhere in the house is attractive. Would it work on 802.11AC wireless infrastructure in your opinion ?

What about products like Dune HD and Zappiti - any good ? or do they offer any added benefit ?
The one downside to the Apple TV 4K is that it will not bitstream HD audio formats. Infuse and MrMC are capable of converting TrueHD & DTS-MA 7.1 to PCM without quality loss. If you need to bistream these formats though, then the Apple TV 4K is not an option. Moreover, Apple is adding Atmos support, but it is unclear if apps like Infuse will be able to take advantage of this, and TrueHD Atmos will likely be unsupported (only E-AC3 Atmos). Also, there is no support for DTS:X.

The Shield will bistream all HD audio formats including Atmos & DTS:X. The major problem with the Shield is that it does not automatically switch color space, which to me is practically a deal breaker (the Apple TV 4K switches color space automatically). The Shield also doesn't support Dolby Vision, although you're using a projector so that shouldn't matter.

I cannot speak for the Kaleidescape as far as color space switching, tone-mapping, etc. There are other devices like the Dune and Zappiti that might be able to bistream HD audio formats AND switch color spaces automatically, but I have not used these.

The easiest way to rip discs IMO is just to hook a blu-ray drive up to a PC and then use MakeMKV. If you plan on ripping UHD blu-rays, then you will a specific drive with a specific firmware. I would read the makemkv forums for more info about that.
post #79 of 94 Old 06-29-2018, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's fun to me when a post like this comes back after time and I hardly recognize my self in my own older posts.

A few posts above I was set on my HTPC which was great. But, more recently I'm all in with ATV4K.

Even more recently my family switched from Spotify to Apple Music family plan and this adds so much ability to ATV4K. With my projector off (which from a music standpoint is nice because no fan noise) I can ask siri to play any song and it just starts playing. (Occasionally she can mis-hear me but that's actually quite rare.) With my pj on, I can go to any artists page and see all available music videos without having to endure advertisements or watermarks etc.

ATV4K keeps on getting better and personally going all in with Apple has been my best techno move ever. I carry the iPhone and wear the Apple Watch and everything works together fantastically.

I even decided to "teach" Siri how to operate my projector by using a third party program (HomeKit) so the simple ATV4K remote is the only remote I ever use. (Except if I have to reconfigure my projector which does happen because I use a 2.30:1 screen and zoom method.)

-Brian
post #80 of 94 Old 03-28-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
It's fun to me when a post like this comes back after time and I hardly recognize my self in my own older posts... I'm all in with ATV4K...
It seems that Kscape is still the King of the Hill but AppleTV 4K is so very much cheaper that this old thread deserves a bump I think.

I was thinking I would use MakeMKV to rip all my BDs to Synology and then run the Synology app on the ATV, but got stopped dead in my tracks because it seems Apple doesn't like .mkv files, nor (according to this thread) does it play all of the audio formats.

I wonder if Brian is still around or if anyone else here thinks Apple TV 4K can be a solution, if one's goal is to stop fiddling with a huge pile of movie discs. Oh, my primary interest is for use in the Home Theater, and to have max quality for my 4K projector setup. Don't care at all about streaming to portable gizmos, nor even do I care much about whole-house solutions. When we want to Watch a Movie, we do so in our Home Theater, not the living room or the bed room or the garage.
post #81 of 94 Old 03-28-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
It seems that Kscape is still the King of the Hill but AppleTV 4K is so very much cheaper that this old thread deserves a bump I think.

I was thinking I would use MakeMKV to rip all my BDs to Synology and then run the Synology app on the ATV, but got stopped dead in my tracks because it seems Apple doesn't like .mkv files, nor (according to this thread) does it play all of the audio formats.

I wonder if Brian is still around or if anyone else here thinks Apple TV 4K can be a solution, if one's goal is to stop fiddling with a huge pile of movie discs. Oh, my primary interest is for use in the Home Theater, and to have max quality for my 4K projector setup. Don't care at all about streaming to portable gizmos, nor even do I care much about whole-house solutions. When we want to Watch a Movie, we do so in our Home Theater, not the living room or the bed room or the garage.
Hi,

Rip mkv with MakeMKV. Then use infuse app on the ATV. Lots of users do this and it works great. The infuse app can see your NAS or a Plex server.
post #82 of 94 Old 03-29-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

Rip mkv with MakeMKV. Then use infuse app on the ATV. Lots of users do this and it works great. The infuse app can see your NAS or a Plex server.
So the Infuse app is NAS-agnostic and allows one to "Play just about anything, including the standard MP4, M4V and MOV – plus MKV, AVI, WMV, MTS, ISO, VIDEO_TS, FLV, OGM, OGV, ASF, 3GP, DVR-MS, WebM, and WTV. Includes fully certified Dolby® Digital Plus (AC3/E-AC3), DTS® and DTS-HD® audio."

For $15 bucks. Yikes, this stuff makes my head spin. Maybe I'll still buy a Synology NAS because their Video Station (and Apple TV app) are free, and try both.

Thanks Brian.
post #83 of 94 Old 03-29-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So the Infuse app is NAS-agnostic and allows one to "Play just about anything, including the standard MP4, M4V and MOV – plus MKV, AVI, WMV, MTS, ISO, VIDEO_TS, FLV, OGM, OGV, ASF, 3GP, DVR-MS, WebM, and WTV. Includes fully certified Dolby® Digital Plus (AC3/E-AC3), DTS® and DTS-HD® audio."

For $15 bucks. Yikes, this stuff makes my head spin. Maybe I'll still buy a Synology NAS because their Video Station (and Apple TV app) are free, and try both.

Thanks Brian.
I didn't realize Synology had an ATV4K app. My NAS units are no frills NAS devices. I use a retired PC as a Plex server and then tell infuse about that. It does sound complicated but it works so well. I just bought the stand alone pro version of infuse 6 for $25. Previously I used a subscription to infuse 5 which was about to run out.

I love my no frills NAS devices. They were cheap (on eBay) and they have been totally reliable. Plex can run on high end NAS or Nvidia Shield ... But I find Plex is very happy on what used to be my main PC.
post #84 of 94 Old 03-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Quote:

Hi,

Interesting. Can the app play from a normal windows share? All my stuff is in a windows server.

And does ATV4K have audio codec limitations for these files?
post #85 of 94 Old 03-29-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't realize Synology had an ATV4K app. My NAS units are no frills NAS devices. I use a retired PC as a Plex server and then tell infuse about that. It does sound complicated but it works so well. I just bought the stand alone pro version of infuse 6 for $25. Previously I used a subscription to infuse 5 which was about to run out.

I love my no frills NAS devices. They were cheap (on eBay) and they have been totally reliable. Plex can run on high end NAS or Nvidia Shield ... But I find Plex is very happy on what used to be my main PC.
It seems the older I get the less I want to fiddle with DIY solutions which is how Kaleidescape caught my attention in the first place. The ATV4K app for Synology was/is hard to surf on, but it seems an easy solution especially if I'm thinking "need a modern NAS anyway". And today I could do a 60TB Synology for ~$2200 bucks which I think would last me another two or three lifetimes.
post #86 of 94 Old 03-29-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It seems the older I get the less I want to fiddle with DIY solutions which is how Kaleidescape caught my attention in the first place. The ATV4K app for Synology was/is hard to surf on, but it seems an easy solution especially if I'm thinking "need a modern NAS anyway". And today I could do a 60TB Synology for ~$2200 bucks which I think would last me another two or three lifetimes.
Wow.

I have 4 NAS units ... Each was about $200. Then I put in 4x4TB in each and that was I suppose $1600... So,... I didn't "save" much.

But in the spirit of getting older and less willing... I don't really like having the server anymore anyhow. I get all my movies directly in iTunes (usually very cheap) and slowly my backed up collection is shrinking. (Down from 1400 to 1000 in just a year)

I would rather have things in iTunes and let someone else host the files. Of course there will always be things that just don't show up in iTunes or any other streaming site or service so having the server is still nice.

For example ... Pink Floyd the Wall ... not on iTunes or anywhere else as far as I know. And that's fairly main stream stuff.... I have plenty of more off the main track stuff that I like to keep around.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 03-29-2019 at 04:36 PM.
post #87 of 94 Old 03-29-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
Interesting. Can the app play from a normal windows share? All my stuff is in a windows server.

And does ATV4K have audio codec limitations for these files?
Yes to both.

But the limitations on the audio side aren't very bad at all. I think it does a lossless conversion to PCM. Sounds perfect to me.
post #88 of 94 Old 03-29-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would rather have things in iTunes and let someone else host the files. Of course there will always be things that just don't show up in iTunes or any other streaming site or service so having the server is still nice.
I lived in the "extreme country" for many years where the only Internet I could get was satellite, and the bandwidth was completely inadequate for any sort of streaming. So I have something of a phobia/suspicion about streaming and trusting the ISP. Maybe I'll get over that someday, but in the meantime I'd like not only to convert my disc collection to digital but also to be able to download my movies and store them locally.

But I am new to all this and in fact my ATV4K arrived just today so I will be experimenting and learning about streaming for a while. Have all my fingers & toes crossed that the ATV will provide a PQ that I am used to from Blu-ray...
post #89 of 94 Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
It is not that difficult to build a server solution that will do more or less the same thing Kaleidescape does, but it is a lot of work and it won't work with UV licensing. I was able to buy a high quality NAS with 21.46TB of usable RAID 6 storage for about $2200. You can get about 35TB if you use 6TB drive for around $3000. Plex is not a great solution for fully lossless rips, as there are few clients that can handle that. You could do Plex and NVidia Shield combos. The other option would be high quality KODI clients. The real issue is time. Setting this up, ripping all the discs and getting everything tagged properly is a major undertaking.

I am doing this for a lot of my stuff, unfortunately, I have a ton of UltraViolet and Disney Movies Anywhere content. This may be addressed with the emerging Vidity standard, which is what I'm keeping my eye on. I love the approach Kaleidescape takes with their very well designed systems, but have a very hard time justifying the cost.
Haywood, your above post is extremely relevant to my situation. KODI works really well and I'm thinking of doing 1:1 rips using non-lossy compression in a format like MKV. I too love kaleidescape but I believe there is a more cost effective approach that can come pretty close to it.

What did you end up doing ?
post #90 of 94 Old 02-08-2020, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
... So I have something of a phobia/suspicion about streaming and trusting the ISP. ...
What you're saying sounds completely sensible to me. But no matter where you live, I think it nuts to give control of your video collection to a company that could get bought, go under, or make a business decision to stop a service you paid for and depend upon. I don't really think that Apple, Amazon, or Music Anywhere will shut down, but I still hate not having a physical copy of my movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page