Alternative to Kaleidescape ? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #91 of 94 Old 02-09-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
...no matter where you live, I think it nuts to give control of your video collection to a company that could get bought, go under, or make a business decision to stop a service you paid for and depend upon. I don't really think that Apple, Amazon, or Music Anywhere will shut down, but I still hate not having a physical copy of my movies.
Sure, you are entitled to your opinion, but no need to disparage others' decisions to stream exclusively. At least Apple, one of the largest companies in the world, will not only provide movies-on-demand reliably, they do also to some extent provide future-proofing, as e.g. now if you buy HD movies and they are upgraded to 4K you get those for free.

Take it from someone who owned thousands of laserdiscs, then upgraded many to DVD, then still more when Blu-ray came along, and now can't resist BD-UHD for still more $$$ outlaid to evil Hollywood.

Oh, not to mention that "physical copies" can go bad or otherwise be lost or destroyed.

FWIW since posting last March I have found streaming at my location to be reliable and frankly awesome in many cases. But I still can't resist 4K discs--geez how many more times am I gonna have to buy Apocalypse Now!?!?!?!?!! I'm sure when Lawrence comes-out in BD-UHD I will have to buy that again too!
shivaji likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 Old 02-09-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Sure, you are entitled to your opinion, but no need to disparage others' decisions to stream exclusively.

Sorry, I didn't think I was disparaging others, but I guess I can see how one might interpret what I wrote to be a critical comment. I was trying to say that I personally feel uncomfortable spending thousands of dollars to give control of my video library to a company, no matter how big. It comes down to the fact that what I think is logical, is something that makes no sense to others.

Anyhow, it makes perfect sense to me to buy something like Kaleidescape if you have the money, Zappiti seems to be selling a NAS system that appears to be a cheaper option.
post #93 of 94 Old 02-09-2020, 01:17 PM
sor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
What you're saying sounds completely sensible to me. But no matter where you live, I think it nuts to give control of your video collection to a company that could get bought, go under, or make a business decision to stop a service you paid for and depend upon. I don't really think that Apple, Amazon, or Music Anywhere will shut down, but I still hate not having a physical copy of my movies.

I get what you’re saying and I think a lot of people feel that way. They want a physical object they can own. However, I’d add that part of the draw of MoviesAnywhere is that you can buy something on iTunes or some other service and play it through another. So if one service shutters your license to the media is still supposed to be good and playable through another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 94 Old 02-09-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I personally think streaming involves an element of risk which a lot of folks don't want to take. Kaleidescape is pricey for sure, but if you have a group of people over and want HT perfection it seems one very good way to go (if one can afford it) for the high-quality-everything and that the vids are on-board and ready-to-go. No risk of an ISP failure or whatever. And I especially envy the bookmarking capability because when I want to show-off my HT, the way I do that is to "rack up" favorites scenes/songs/explosions (!) and that's hard to do whether you have discs or stream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page