Alternative to Kaleidescape ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 94 Old 01-03-2016, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Alternative to Kaleidescape ?

This might be the same old question repeated again and again, but I didnt find any latest information regarding this or maybe I didnt understand where to look for.
Need something similar to Kaleidescape.
So my requirement is, I am Looking for a Good Media Player that can
Play my BDs stored in my CPU or External Drive in 1080p 3D and it would be great if it had a BD Drive and HDD so I can Store them there.
The question is How do I copy my BDs onto my PC or External Drive, it's like cloning my BD entire disc ......... no compressing nothing. Is it possible that a player will be able able to play All Dolby and DTS formats ? Player should be able to automatically Get the Cover Art.

Also let me know if theres a custom built solution for my requirement, maybe just a player attached to a storage server with multiple HDDs ( and I dont mean PC ).

Any kind of info will be helpful

Cheers,
Aditya

Last edited by Aquarian09; 01-03-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old 01-03-2016, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian09 View Post
This might be the same old question repeated again and again, but I didnt find any latest information regarding this or maybe I didnt understand where to look for.
Need something similar to Kaleidescape.
So my requirement is, I am Looking for a Good Media Player that can
Play my BDs stored in my CPU or External Drive in 1080p 3D and it would be great if it had a BD Drive and HDD so I can Store them there.
The question is How do I copy my BDs onto my PC or External Drive, it's like cloning my BD entire disc ......... no compressing nothing. Is it possible that a player will be able able to play All Dolby and DTS formats ? Player should be able to automatically Get the Cover Art.

Also let me know if theres a custom built solution for my requirement, maybe just a player attached to a storage server with multiple HDDs ( and I dont mean PC ).

Any kind of info will be helpful

Cheers,
Aditya

Most people will either build an HTPC or buy some kind of a media player and combine that with either a computer that has lots of storage or a NAS. The thing is that these solutions while perfectly functional are not as simple / easy to use as the Kaleidescapesolution which is as simple as popping a disc in the drive and adding it to your collection. Most of the home grown solutions requite a little more user input.

For example there are some free / inexpensive applications out there to rip your movies (DVD and Blu-Rays alike) but they may need a little help picking out the proper playlist (especially when it comes to Blu-Ray). Once you copy it over to your storage you typically will need to Rename it so that whatever player / software you are using can figure out what movie it is. I haven't really heard of any real simple complete solutions but anything that you put together would be far cheaper than a Kaleidescape solution.

So it comes down to personal preference. I use a combination of a Synology NAS, a Mede8er MED600x3D Media Player connected to my AVR which does pass all the Audio Formats that I've thrown at it including Dolby ATMOS without any issues. It does play 3D but I don't do 3D so I can't comment on it. One thing that it does NOT do is play Blu Ray menus, most players don't. I've been told that the Dune players do but I can't comment on them personally. Oh and the Mede8er has a very functional "Scrapper" Built in that will download all of the cover-art / move information for you (as long as you have the naming convention followed).

With Plex I am using the same NAS / Same Ripped Movie Library and an old machine that is dedicated as my Plex Server which gives me Netflix like functionality (play back / resume on multiple devices and a very nice Interface). Plex thankfully also uses the same naming convention and keeps its own internal database and cover art library. I use Plex mostly for my portable devices as well as when I am away from home.

There are many options out there but most people do some version of what I described, some will use Kodi instead of Plex. I am sure there are many others out there.
Brian Hampton and dfa973 like this.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #3 of 94 Old 01-03-2016, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked: 809
You realize your ask will have ENORMOUS storage requirements, right? Movies will be 20-50GB, each.

I was going to suggest Plex but it transcodes as does pretty much everything, so there will be some loss of quality; you just might not be able to see it. Plex is extremely nice, especially for network play on whatever screen/device you happen to be looking at.

If quality is your most important requirement, disc is it. I'd have to do the math, but I'm not certain a network can handle an uncompressed Blu-ray sized stream in real time...can it? It must be able to...either way, this should be an interesting thread.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 01-03-2016 at 03:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a dune that plays full sized iso files over network. 50 gigs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony G90 CRT
Lumagen Radiance 2143
Oppo BDP-103
120" Stewart Screen
Goldenear Triton Two
Integra DTR 40.1
post #5 of 94 Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 180
It is not that difficult to build a server solution that will do more or less the same thing Kaleidescape does, but it is a lot of work and it won't work with UV licensing. I was able to buy a high quality NAS with 21.46TB of usable RAID 6 storage for about $2200. You can get about 35TB if you use 6TB drive for around $3000. Plex is not a great solution for fully lossless rips, as there are few clients that can handle that. You could do Plex and NVidia Shield combos. The other option would be high quality KODI clients. The real issue is time. Setting this up, ripping all the discs and getting everything tagged properly is a major undertaking.

I am doing this for a lot of my stuff, unfortunately, I have a ton of UltraViolet and Disney Movies Anywhere content. This may be addressed with the emerging Vidity standard, which is what I'm keeping my eye on. I love the approach Kaleidescape takes with their very well designed systems, but have a very hard time justifying the cost.
Sam Ash and dfa973 like this.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #6 of 94 Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
Most people will either build an HTPC or buy some kind of a media player and combine that with either a computer that has lots of storage or a NAS. The thing is that these solutions while perfectly functional are not as simple / easy to use as the Kaleidescapesolution which is as simple as popping a disc in the drive and adding it to your collection. Most of the home grown solutions requite a little more user input.

For example there are some free / inexpensive applications out there to rip your movies (DVD and Blu-Rays alike) but they may need a little help picking out the proper playlist (especially when it comes to Blu-Ray). Once you copy it over to your storage you typically will need to Rename it so that whatever player / software you are using can figure out what movie it is. I haven't really heard of any real simple complete solutions but anything that you put together would be far cheaper than a Kaleidescape solution.

So it comes down to personal preference. I use a combination of a Synology NAS, a Mede8er MED600x3D Media Player connected to my AVR which does pass all the Audio Formats that I've thrown at it including Dolby ATMOS without any issues. It does play 3D but I don't do 3D so I can't comment on it. One thing that it does NOT do is play Blu Ray menus, most players don't. I've been told that the Dune players do but I can't comment on them personally. Oh and the Mede8er has a very functional "Scrapper" Built in that will download all of the cover-art / move information for you (as long as you have the naming convention followed).

With Plex I am using the same NAS / Same Ripped Movie Library and an old machine that is dedicated as my Plex Server which gives me Netflix like functionality (play back / resume on multiple devices and a very nice Interface). Plex thankfully also uses the same naming convention and keeps its own internal database and cover art library. I use Plex mostly for my portable devices as well as when I am away from home.

There are many options out there but most people do some version of what I described, some will use Kodi instead of Plex. I am sure there are many others out there.
Thanks for the reply,
I like the idea of Synology and mede8r, I checked the price and it seems to be in my budget.
I checked with Netgear for NAS and it's cheaper than Synology, any specific reason why u picked Synology ?
post #7 of 94 Old 01-04-2016, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
You realize your ask will have ENORMOUS storage requirements, right? Movies will be 20-50GB, each.

I was going to suggest Plex but it transcodes as does pretty much everything, so there will be some loss of quality; you just might not be able to see it. Plex is extremely nice, especially for network play on whatever screen/device you happen to be looking at.

If quality is your most important requirement, disc is it. I'd have to do the math, but I'm not certain a network can handle an uncompressed Blu-ray sized stream in real time...can it? It must be able to...either way, this should be an interesting thread.
Yes, I realize it requires Tens of TBs of storage
My requirement here is not streaming at all, I think when u mean "plex" it does streaming, right ? Or am I getting it wrong ?
This indeed is the issue bothering me from past 1year.
post #8 of 94 Old 01-04-2016, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbhd4 View Post
I have a dune that plays full sized iso files over network. 50 gigs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What r u using for storage ?
And how do u copy the BD onto that storage ?
post #9 of 94 Old 01-04-2016, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
It is not that difficult to build a server solution that will do more or less the same thing Kaleidescape does, but it is a lot of work and it won't work with UV licensing. I was able to buy a high quality NAS with 21.46TB of usable RAID 6 storage for about $2200. You can get about 35TB if you use 6TB drive for around $3000. Plex is not a great solution for fully lossless rips, as there are few clients that can handle that. You could do Plex and NVidia Shield combos. The other option would be high quality KODI clients. The real issue is time. Setting this up, ripping all the discs and getting everything tagged properly is a major undertaking.

I am doing this for a lot of my stuff, unfortunately, I have a ton of UltraViolet and Disney Movies Anywhere content. This may be addressed with the emerging Vidity standard, which is what I'm keeping my eye on. I love the approach Kaleidescape takes with their very well designed systems, but have a very hard time justifying the cost.
Thanks
My budget is not that much, that's the reason I wanted an alternative to Kaleidescape, the main reason to look for an alternative is the price.
What r u doing for playing the movies from ur NAS ? Media Player ?
post #10 of 94 Old 01-04-2016, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply,
I like the idea of Synology and mede8r, I checked the price and it seems to be in my budget.
I checked with Netgear for NAS and it's cheaper than Synology, any specific reason why u picked Synology ?
I have tried / had experience with a lot of different RAID / NAS Systems and I ended up going with Synology mostly due to reputation as well as performance specifications. I had a small NetGear NAS and it was SLOW but it was also a while back. Maybe they have gotten better? A friend of mine has a ReadyNAS and he hasn't had any issues with it for many years but he only uses if for recording music.

When you play media from over your Network you are technically Streaming it over your network to the player / viewer. Most people think of streaming as something over the Internet but that is just one version.

As for Ripping the movies I suggest using MakeMKV it is currently free, it will to a nice clean copy without any reduction in quality and the MKV File Format is very widely supported. It also allows for multiple audio formats which is nice as some formats might not be compatible with certain players (like on your phone or something).

Personally I use Plex as well as the Mede8er. I use the Mede8er to play movies in my Home Theater through my Dolby ATMOS AVR, I use Plex for everywhere else in my house. In my Bedroom I have a Roku 3 with Plex, it is a perfect setup for me / my needs. I can also use Plex to watch my media anywhere I am remotely which is a nice added bonus.

Just a reminder that if you do go with Ripping movies and converting them in to MKV Files you will NOT have the Blu-Ray (or DVD for that matter) Menus. If you want menus you will have to look at something like ISO Files and a different player as the Mede8er does NOT play Blu Ray Menues.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #11 of 94 Old 01-04-2016, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I have tried / had experience with a lot of different RAID / NAS Systems and I ended up going with Synology mostly due to reputation as well as performance specifications. I had a small NetGear NAS and it was SLOW but it was also a while back. Maybe they have gotten better? A friend of mine has a ReadyNAS and he hasn't had any issues with it for many years but he only uses if for recording music.

When you play media from over your Network you are technically Streaming it over your network to the player / viewer. Most people think of streaming as something over the Internet but that is just one version.

As for Ripping the movies I suggest using MakeMKV it is currently free, it will to a nice clean copy without any reduction in quality and the MKV File Format is very widely supported. It also allows for multiple audio formats which is nice as some formats might not be compatible with certain players (like on your phone or something).

Personally I use Plex as well as the Mede8er. I use the Mede8er to play movies in my Home Theater through my Dolby ATMOS AVR, I use Plex for everywhere else in my house. In my Bedroom I have a Roku 3 with Plex, it is a perfect setup for me / my needs. I can also use Plex to watch my media anywhere I am remotely which is a nice added bonus.

Just a reminder that if you do go with Ripping movies and converting them in to MKV Files you will NOT have the Blu-Ray (or DVD for that matter) Menus. If you want menus you will have to look at something like ISO Files and a different player as the Mede8er does NOT play Blu Ray Menues.
Thanks for a quick reply
Menus are not a requirement. If the disc is ripped in MKV , what about picture quality ? will it maintain the same quality as disc? what will be the file size of a movie when u rip it into MKV ?
Can I use Mede8er for streaming from my PC ? as I already have a 2 TB of free space in my existing PC, can I use it to play from Mede8er ?
post #12 of 94 Old 01-04-2016, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Is there any solution to get a Disc Vault ?
Not Kaleidescape , an alternate to that . Are there any other brands ?
am sorry if am asking too much, but just want to get a complete and clear idea about the all options

Last edited by Aquarian09; 01-04-2016 at 06:58 AM.
post #13 of 94 Old 01-04-2016, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for a quick reply
Menus are not a requirement. If the disc is ripped in MKV , what about picture quality ? will it maintain the same quality as disc? what will be the file size of a movie when u rip it into MKV ?
Can I use Mede8er for streaming from my PC ? as I already have a 2 TB of free space in my existing PC, can I use it to play from Mede8er ?
I would check on how the newest version of Kaleidescape works. From what I understand Blu-Ray isn't as simple as DVD was. I might be wrong but there was something in the news about it a while back. Maybe they have worked it out since then but you used to have to have the original disc then it wouldn't actually Rip the movie it would download it from somewhere which wasn't quite the same.

If you use MakeMKV or Rip your movies they will be full quality, no compression whatsoever so whatever the original is the rip will be. The file size will depend on the length of the movie, the bit-rate of the movie and if they used any compression. My experience is that movies will be anywhere from 20 - 50+ GB in size.

The Mede8er is a "Network" Player (some models also have internal drive bays) you can also connect USB Drives to them directly as well. This means that all of them (as long as they are connected to the network) you will be able to access any media on the network as long as it is "Shared" Windows can sometimes be interesting getting shares to work but yes you can certainly share out your movies on your network and the Mede8er will be able to see / play them. Just keep in mind that if you computer is doing something else you might end up getting some playback issues. This is why I have a dedicated NAS for my media.

As for the "Vault" end of things that is just a version of a NAS / Storage Array that the Hardware uses to store your movies. If you don't mind doing a little of the legwork yourself (like Ripping the movies) and naming them appropriately and picking a player that you like the interface of then you will have the same exact functionality.

post #14 of 94 Old 01-05-2016, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 147
the closest solution to kaleidescape is MyMovies : will rip your disc, can be used with some disc vaults (but I don't know if those are still available on the market...), as home automation options, library mangement, apps to control the system (and more) and tons of other options. And should cost a fraction of a real kaleidescape...

Check their website and resellers if you don't want to build the system by yourself. Only problem : it's based on WMC, which is officially discontinued with Win10, so you are stuck forever with win 7/8.1.

http://www.mymovies.dk/products/wind...ia-center.aspx
GetGray likes this.
post #15 of 94 Old 01-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Thanks
My budget is not that much, that's the reason I wanted an alternative to Kaleidescape, the main reason to look for an alternative is the price.
What r u doing for playing the movies from ur NAS ? Media Player ?
Most of what is on my NAS is music, DVD rips and television shows. The bulk of the video is H264 480p or 1080p with DD 5.1 sound. I have been playing around with uncompressed Blu-Ray rips using KODI, as my Plex clients are mainly Roku boxes and cannot support the bitrate or lossless audio of a fully uncompressed rip.

As for price, there is a huge difference between spending $3000 to store about 1000 movies and spending $8000 to store 600.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
post #16 of 94 Old 01-06-2016, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post
the closest solution to kaleidescape is MyMovies : will rip your disc, can be used with some disc vaults (but I don't know if those are still available on the market...), as home automation options, library mangement, apps to control the system (and more) and tons of other options. And should cost a fraction of a real kaleidescape...

Check their website and resellers if you don't want to build the system by yourself. Only problem : it's based on WMC, which is officially discontinued with Win10, so you are stuck forever with win 7/8.1.

Thanks for the link
checking it now
post #17 of 94 Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
Most of what is on my NAS is music, DVD rips and television shows. The bulk of the video is H264 480p or 1080p with DD 5.1 sound. I have been playing around with uncompressed Blu-Ray rips using KODI, as my Plex clients are mainly Roku boxes and cannot support the bitrate or lossless audio of a fully uncompressed rip.

As for price, there is a huge difference between spending $3000 to store about 1000 movies and spending $8000 to store 600.
Yeah i agree , but not in a position right now to invest even that much, maybe it will take a while
post #18 of 94 Old 01-06-2016, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

How about if I connect a NAS to Media Player via a USB3.0 cable and play ?
I hope that will not loose that lil bit of quality when we stream from Network.
post #19 of 94 Old 01-06-2016, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

you don't connect a NAS to a player through USB, only through ethernet via a router/switch. If you don't want ethernet, you can always use some multi HDD enclosures (2/4/8 HDD bays). But you will need to rip by yourself everything, then transfer from the PC to the HDD.
post #20 of 94 Old 01-06-2016, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric View Post

I used to use MyMovies with my Dune, Last time I had it, In order for MM to rip a movie it needed Anydvd running in the background. But even if you decide to rip yourself, it does a pretty good job of tagging the correct movie and supplying the art on the streamer automatically. MYMovies will supply the art for many streamers like the netgear, medi8er, dune, etc.

BTW, I just averaged the file size of 128 blu ray ISO rips. It was at 23.5 GB per movie on average. Main movie only, 1 HD audio stream, no compression. All US movies. No foreign stuff.
post #21 of 94 Old 01-06-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here are the units MyMovies can scrape album art and back drops for. The about.jpg files will work with the KDLinks units too and other streamers based on that OS.
A bit blurry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1167402  
post #22 of 94 Old 01-07-2016, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Can I use a Multi HDD enclosure like what Mr.Eric has mentioned, with a Raspberry Pi ?
Will it be the same ? or Raspberry Pi is different ?
But again the question is how do I get the all the movies on to that HDD. I should connect it to my PC and then copy the Movies and then connect it to Raspberry Pi ?

On the other scenario, maybe not Raspberry Pi, maybe a KDLinks or Mede8er connected to a MultiHDD Enclosure. Still I should connect the MultiHDD enclosure to my PC , copy all the movies and then connect it back to the Media Player. am I right here ?
post #23 of 94 Old 01-07-2016, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

you can transfer files over the network with most of the media players (including the Pi). But media players have low rates, even the ones claiming 1Gbs connectivity and a 20GB transfer could take quite some time... So the best solution is still to move the HDD between the player and the PC where you will rip. You just need to chose an enclosure with good and easy to use HDD trays and add a simple Sata to USB dock (take a good one, cheap ones are really bad...) for your PC.
post #24 of 94 Old 01-07-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I use a pc running windows 7 as my server. It is a stripped down OS so not a lot is going on. All the ripping is done on the pc and stored on that pc in a folder. I share that folder as a simple network share. In the living room on the streamer I search for that network share. The streamer then can access those movies and play them over the network. The movies stay where they are, the streamer is playing them over the network.

Others use a nas box, usually thrown in a closet somewhere, again with shares. The ripping is done with a pc somewhere on the network and then the files are sent to the nas share over the network. The transfer speed is actually pretty fast on a gigabit network with all machines wired. The streamer box access the nas share in the same way as above.

Some streamers have docks built in to house a hard drive. The movies must be sent to the device and the streamer reads it from it's internal hard drive. Most of these streamers, like Eric mentioned are very slow at transferring files. This also complicates things if you want to use another streamer box in the house. If you use one of the 2 methods above, since they are stored in a central location, you can get multiple streamers for all over your house, all pulling from that 1 share.
post #25 of 94 Old 01-07-2016, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also use this box http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Pro...eywords=probox

attached to my pc/server. It serves as my backup, but you could use it to store an array of hard drives to store movies on. Transfer speed is fast since it is eSATA or USB3. Great if your limited on SATA ports on your mobo or docks in you case, power connectors, etc. They have a 8 bay unit too, and others that have RAID software built in. Works great as a backup since you can set it to turn off when the computer does.

Your eSATA needs to support "port multiplier."
post #26 of 94 Old 01-08-2016, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Wow .... Thanks guys,
finally narrowing down the options

So , if this works, I have decided to do this :
A Mediasonic HDD Enclosure , this one here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2WSTUX2A6RQ1A
A Media Player: Need some clarification about KDLinks & Mede8er, which one would u think will be good and more suitable for my requirement.

The connectivity i am planning is .......
Mediasonic HDD Enclosure will be connected to my PC via a eSATA cable to copy all the BDs
Mediasonic HDD Enclosure will be connected to Media Player via USB 3.0 to play the movies.
I want to connect in this pattern coz I dont want to unplug the cable from PC and then connect it to Media Player whenever I copy a BD into the Mediasonic Drive. if its connected the way I mentioned above, the hassle of plugging and unplugging the cables will be relaxed.

Now the important question - Does This type of connectivity work ?
post #27 of 94 Old 01-08-2016, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

I just checked with Dune HD Player ...... it says that they have Blu-ray License ... what does that mean ?
Mede8er and KDlinks .... do they have Blu-ray License ? what is the benefit of it ?
post #28 of 94 Old 01-08-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Dune actually made "real" bluray players. Meaning they had the same proper licensing and proprietary code as anything from Samsung or Sony. They could play physical discs and also full disc rips from the network, menus and all.

The problem was that the BD licensing people didn't like that. I can't remember if they forced them to issue a firmware update ending playback from the network or not.

What the BD people eventually forced on all "real" players was the ability to enforce Cinavia, an audio watermark based DRM. If your movie has Cinavia, and you try to play a rip of it in a "real" player, an on screen pop up will tell you you're a pirate and to take a hike.

The benefit on an unlicensed player, while not supporting menus or BD+ features, is that it ignores Cinavia.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #29 of 94 Old 01-08-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow .... Thanks guys,
finally narrowing down the options

So , if this works, I have decided to do this :
A Mediasonic HDD Enclosure , this one here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2WSTUX2A6RQ1A
A Media Player: Need some clarification about KDLinks & Mede8er, which one would u think will be good and more suitable for my requirement.

The connectivity i am planning is .......
Mediasonic HDD Enclosure will be connected to my PC via a eSATA cable to copy all the BDs
Mediasonic HDD Enclosure will be connected to Media Player via USB 3.0 to play the movies.
I want to connect in this pattern coz I dont want to unplug the cable from PC and then connect it to Media Player whenever I copy a BD into the Mediasonic Drive. if its connected the way I mentioned above, the hassle of plugging and unplugging the cables will be relaxed.

Now the important question - Does This type of connectivity work ?
That Mediasonic enclosure needs an eSATA port that supports port multiplier. This allows the pc to see ALL the drives in the enclosure and not just one. IIRC, I tried plugging my probox into the kdlinks hd720 (USB) and it only saw the first hdd, not all 4. I suspect all streamers will act in this fashion.

What about sharing the files over your network to the streamer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
The benefit on an unlicensed player, while not supporting menus or BD+ features, is that it ignores Cinavia.
The Dune hs smart players are tricky to find but they are out there. PM me if you are interested. The benefits (for me) of these players are:

Rip your main movie to ISO and it plays back great. It also supports forced subtitles with ISO. The FF/RW is phenomenal. (WDTV no good) Remember I stream over my gigabit network. Chapter points work like a regular bd player. Sometimes movies come as multiple video files (seamless branching). It plays these perfectly. (WDTV stutters when switching files). The Dune smarts can also read JAVA, so it has the ability to read full BD backups with menu and all. This could get a little quirky, so I just do main movie. I could not figure out how to get the Dune interface to display album art for my files so the use of a jukebox (Zappitti, MyMovies, yaDIS, 10Muse) can be used, thus requiring a bit more management. The Dune smart is just for streaming files, no netflix, apps, etc. It has some apps and some use it for music and all that but there are better options out there.

My KDLinks hd720 unit once let out an incredibly loud pop once while playing a movie. After that I retired the unit. The interface is uglier than sin too.
post #30 of 94 Old 01-08-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just checked with Dune HD Player ...... it says that they have Blu-ray License ... what does that mean ?
Mede8er and KDlinks .... do they have Blu-ray License ? what is the benefit of it ?
hold units like the Dune smart and some PCH (C300 if I remember correctly) have the BR licence and were able to play any rip like a full disc including menus and extra. But those are not made anymore and all new players on the market only have what is called "BD Lite" which is in fact the ability to play the movie, but the movie only without any menu. You can still find some Dune smart second hand, or may be with some luck some new ones on ebay.

For the enclosure, i've got a friend who uses the 4 bays mediasonic that was linked a bit before. He used it on a dune smart and now on a Pi2 using USB, and it was correctly showing the 4 drives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page