Himedia Q10 Pro - HDMI 2.0a HDR player - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 79 Old 04-05-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 287
This box isn't well suited for premium apps as they'll be 480p-capped tablet versions as in all Netflix/Amazon-unsanctioned Android boxes. For 4K/HD Netflix, choices under Android are really only nVidia Shield TV, Amazon Fire TV (gen2), Google Nexus Player (not in 4K), and finally WeTek Core (not in 4K). Amazon 4K/HD only on Amazon FTV (by design by Amazon).

If you don't need 4K yet, or can wait until year's end, I'd also consider Intel h/w w/Kodi MVC. PQ is something to behold, and Kodi use with full 3D is really seamless. Plus, you get HD Netflix, HD Amazon, etc. via Win10 and Windows apps or just web browser.
a5ian300zx likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus

Last edited by Brajesh; 04-05-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 Old 04-13-2016, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Brajesh,
Thanks for all of your informative posts.
post #33 of 79 Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Where do you even get 4K content without DRM to stream to these boxes?
Whirlpool0548 likes this.

I don't care about apathy

Main System: Sony XBR75X940C * Marantz SR6010 * Marantz MM-9000 * MSI Cubi HTPC (OpenPHT/Aeon Nox) * Roku Ultra * Samsung Blu-Ray * Paradigm Studio/40 v.2 * Paradigm Studio/CC v.2 * Paradigm ADP-370 * SVS PB12-Plus/2 * Harmony Ultimate One * HDFury Linker (Zone 2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 79 Old 04-14-2016, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #35 of 79 Old 04-25-2016, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
This box isn't well suited for premium apps as they'll be 480p-capped tablet versions as in all Netflix/Amazon-unsanctioned Android boxes. For 4K/HD Netflix, choices under Android are really only nVidia Shield TV, Amazon Fire TV (gen2), Google Nexus Player (not in 4K), and finally WeTek Core (not in 4K). Amazon 4K/HD only on Amazon FTV (by design by Amazon).

If you don't need 4K yet, or can wait until year's end, I'd also consider Intel h/w w/Kodi MVC. PQ is something to behold, and Kodi use with full 3D is really seamless. Plus, you get HD Netflix, HD Amazon, etc. via Win10 and Windows apps or just web browser.
Hi Brajesh

Thanks for all this information. I was hoping the Himedia might be the solution for what I was looking for. This post is very informative.

Do you have a recommendation if I'm looking for the following, or do I just need to wait?

- Be able to stream things like 4K nextflix
- Be able to play 4K Rips with Atmos
- Be able to play HDR

Thanks
dlca1

Last edited by dlca1; 04-25-2016 at 09:32 AM.
post #36 of 79 Old 04-25-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

nVidia Shield is the only box that can do all those at this moment. HDR is expected to be added by nVidia.

Last edited by Brajesh; 04-25-2016 at 02:48 PM.
post #37 of 79 Old 04-25-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In practical terms how is the wrapper inferior? Is there some pause/flash of black screen etc. before playback begins?

I am just trying to get my head around what I would actually see.

Thanks.

Adam
post #38 of 79 Old 04-25-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It isn't inferior, just a mechanism to call up the native player, with a mostly black screen that comes in between Kodi & the external player... check out the video demo/review I did here.

Last edited by Brajesh; 04-25-2016 at 10:08 AM.
post #39 of 79 Old 06-12-2016, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Error 4ksamples link...
post #40 of 79 Old 06-22-2016, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hello. I just purchased this to replace an old Micca MPlay box. I won't have an opportunity to open it up and hook it up until this weekend. I don't have a nice 3.5" drive right now, and will just plug in the the 2 USB hard drives I've had on the Mplay for a few years now. That being said, a few questions:

- Initial specs seem to indicate that the Q10 Pro is limited to a 6TB drive. Has anyone successfully used an 8TB drive? Will future firmware updates address drive capacity limitation?
- How is the NAS streaming? I plan on putting a NAS together (not exactly sure what/when yet) and just want to make sure it will be effective with this box as an alternative to swapping out physical media.
- Can you use the device Wifi for cloud data transfer? Basically, using the NAS to swap files back and forth, as necessary, with the hard drive installed in the Q10 via WiFi?

Thanks in advance.
Falco533 likes this.
post #41 of 79 Old 06-23-2016, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
If it can handle a 6TB drive, it should be able to handle an 8TB drive with no problem, so long as the file system specs are in line with what the software supports. From what I know of it, it will support an 8TB drive just fine, it's just that nobody is selling it with one pre-installed and likely it was tested with 6TB drives because that's what was available when it was shipping. Of course, these Android players can be finicky about what make and models they recognize, so you should look for a compatibility list from the vendor or check on media player forums to see what people have had success with.
post #42 of 79 Old 06-24-2016, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynavy1 View Post
Hello. I just purchased this to replace an old Micca MPlay box. I won't have an opportunity to open it up and hook it up until this weekend. I don't have a nice 3.5" drive right now, and will just plug in the the 2 USB hard drives I've had on the Mplay for a few years now. That being said, a few questions:

- Initial specs seem to indicate that the Q10 Pro is limited to a 6TB drive. Has anyone successfully used an 8TB drive? Will future firmware updates address drive capacity limitation?
- How is the NAS streaming? I plan on putting a NAS together (not exactly sure what/when yet) and just want to make sure it will be effective with this box as an alternative to swapping out physical media.
- Can you use the device Wifi for cloud data transfer? Basically, using the NAS to swap files back and forth, as necessary, with the hard drive installed in the Q10 via WiFi?

Thanks in advance.
Can you share some pics when you do test it with HDR material?
Thanks
post #43 of 79 Old 06-25-2016, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcubano1 View Post
Can you share some pics when you do test it with HDR material?
Thanks
When I get some material, and time (I have a 3-week old baby, work, and relatives to deal with right now) I'll see what I can do.
post #44 of 79 Old 06-25-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For a couple of the experienced reviewers, or other owners on here, a few questions after my first use:

- Is there a way to remove some of the default app icons from the home screen? For example, I will not be using this for Skype or Facebook...but I didn't see a readily available means to remove and make room for apps I'm more inclined to use.
- I turned off the LCD as it was extremely bright. I didn't see an option to leave it on in a dimmed mode. I just want to make sure I didn't miss a setting before leaving it off permanently.
- Several comparisons to other players. While I may eventually do some streaming from apps like Netflix (although I have a Sony Blu-Ray player that can do the same), and appreciate you highlighting resolution limitations, which of the devices referenced above (Nvidia Shield, WeTek Core, Intel NUC, etc.) would you say is the best value ($200 or less range) for simply playing media files (over USB, internal storage, or NAS)? My main concern is 1) compatibility with maximum amount of formats/codecs (especially H265 HEVC) and 2) no Cinavia.

For those who will be using this for the same purpose I just mentioned my first impressions are positive. Box boots up very fast. I wasn't able to get Kodi working until connecting box to Wifi and waiting a few minutes (updates maybe?...don't know...kept getting obb error initially but went away after rebooting and turning on for 2nd time). Everything seems to be working fine now and picture quality was great for the few 1080p files I tried out. I did immediately notice that there was quite a bit of underscan and had to open up a setting to adjust so that text apps weren't cut off on top/sides. I'm guessing this is for projectors vs. TVs? After adjustments for my Samsung TV, everything seems good now. I only have a Sony soundbar for audio and while it sounds good I can't comment on some of the more current lossless formats through a Receiver and higher end setups. When I get an opportunity to better research a cheap and first NAS setup I'll try to figure out how to stream (I'm assuming the box will simply pick it up as another drive?). Likewise for installing a high capacity hard drive and learning how to manage files back and forth from misc storage devices.
post #45 of 79 Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've noticed an inconvenience on the Q10 Pro. The remote doesn't have a fast forward or rewind function. Is there any way to get around having to press "Pause", navigating to the rewind or fast forward on-screen buttons and doing it that way? On my Harmony Remote the FF and REW buttons are simply usable as Chapter Next/Prev and even that doesn't really work right. If you push Chapter next, it issues a command to play the previous file (not even the "next" file). Seems backwards.
post #46 of 79 Old 08-10-2016, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Could someone please help me?
Got the HiMedia Q10 Pro today with latest firmware (07.07.16), Kodi 1.6 Jarvis and Wrapper.

How can I make the player send the correct resolution to my screen?
If I play a 1080/24 file, it still sends the picture as 2160/30
And if I play a 720p file, it still sends the picture as 2160/30.
I'm using the Wrapper, so when Kodi starts playing, I see the HiMedia logo up at left.
I've set the HDMI to auto in Boxer settings.

What happens is that the Q10 Pro sends the fixed resolution it is set at.
On the remote there is a button called "TV Mode"
Pressing this changes from 2160/60 to 2160/30 to 2160/24 to 1080/60 to 1080/50. But no 1080/24 is available.
And I would like for the Q10 Pro self adjust the resolution according to the file being played.
How do i fix that?

Tor
post #47 of 79 Old 02-21-2017, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
why is there no activity on this thread ? Himedia are very popular...elsewhere

@tor ove

did you manage to get things right ? can you update your impressions ?

@mikeynavy1

any reviews ?

Panasonic ET60 TV + 5.1 Monitor Audio MASS & 10" Gemini Bk2 subwoofer - Media player: Egreat A5 4K HDR
post #48 of 79 Old 02-27-2017, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
With my Himedia Q5 I apparantly have a slight sync issue when playing DTS:X soundtracks; Is this a known Himedia issue, or would this be related to my receiver (onkyo TX nr646)?
post #49 of 79 Old 02-27-2017, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 135
How is the upscaling of the Q10? 1080p to 4K?

TIA
N.
post #50 of 79 Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramer86 View Post
With my Himedia Q5 I apparantly have a slight sync issue when playing DTS:X soundtracks; Is this a known Himedia issue, or would this be related to my receiver (onkyo TX nr646)?
people with this player complain of AV sync no matter their gear
people with zidoo complain of AV sync no matter their gear
people with minix complain of AV sync no matter their gear

this is crazy....

the only box that seems to make everyone happy is the old mede8er x3d series...0 issues at all. too bad new 4k never came out (but announced)

so no this is not normal, but a huge ****load of people have these issues, and the cause could be anything...i hope at least you tried with external player and did you even try to play with audio delay feature?!

people never even seem to use it, but it was created for that exact purpose !

Panasonic ET60 TV + 5.1 Monitor Audio MASS & 10" Gemini Bk2 subwoofer - Media player: Egreat A5 4K HDR
post #51 of 79 Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have a Zoomtak VPlus. Very interested in the HiMedia Q5 Pro. Will the speed be comparable? Do these boxes work well with Kodi? I know that HiMedia are considered a premium brand, so would the video and audio quality be better than the Zoomtak? Audio quality is actually more important for me...

Paulo
post #52 of 79 Old 02-27-2017, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

i never got any answer if S912 gives better PQ than hisilicon. but most people believe so, as the latter soc is the top of the crop (as sigma did not release their new one on any device yet)....
but unless you have 4k HDR on high end 1080p tv, i doubt you will ever see any difference....

post #53 of 79 Old 02-28-2017, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenito2k View Post
i hope at least you tried with external player and did you even try to play with audio delay feature?!

people never even seem to use it, but it was created for that exact purpose !
I don't recall there's a feature like that in the himedia mediaplayer; Probably in Kodi, but haven't used that app yet.. Thanks for the tip though;
post #54 of 79 Old 02-28-2017, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

@Cramer86 , you are totally lost dude...audio delay is with the AVR ! external video player is within kodi settings....

post #55 of 79 Old 03-02-2017, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm new to this guys and looking for a decent box.. HiMedia seems to have some great specs..

I understand that many of these TV Boxes either come rooted or can be rooted. I am told that the HiMedia Q10 Pro running Android N 7.0 can not be rooted.

My question.. Is root really necessary or not? Is there any downside not having root.. Thanks..
post #56 of 79 Old 03-28-2017, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

just an upate: still undecided between this box and the minix U9 ! anyway

new SDK android 7 update for q pro is due in a few days...and hopefully fixes will be provided for the main HUGE bugs:

- 3D iso playing @24hz (provoking stutter)
- 4k HDR aspect ratio problem
- subtitle timing adjustment provokes huge stutter
- improve kodi 17 compatibility (but this is kodi fault as 17 is not working right on 90% of android boxes)
- implement hd audio pass withing kodi via nougat codec implementation

if himedia does all this...will order ASAP

post #57 of 79 Old 06-24-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I started recording all HD TV back around '02. Then viewed the recordings with a MYHD card or my NMT (network media tank) HDX 1000. The HDX died dead. Spent the last week trying to find a replacement for the HDX. I don't think anybody uses the term NMT anymore so its hard to find a replacement. From the thousand or so devices, none of which is an NMT, I've been pointed to the Himedia Q10.

I see references to Android this and that and wonder why I should care what the operating system is. I want an NMT that can see all the shared folders in my home network and play those videos from the last 5 years or so.

And then there is kodi, kodi, kodi and kodi this or that. I assume I plug the device in and on the TV screen I see the folders it sees on the network. Click on a folder and up pop the files to play. What/why is or does kodi do?
post #58 of 79 Old 06-24-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot to add that I was told most Blu-Ray DVD players would also see and play files on a home network. Well,,,,,,,, after installing two DLNA servers the Sony S3700 would say there are no playable files or the files are corrupt. I'll be getting a refund on the Sony box. I'm trying.
post #59 of 79 Old 06-25-2017, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey346 View Post
I'm new to this guys and looking for a decent box.. HiMedia seems to have some great specs..

I understand that many of these TV Boxes either come rooted or can be rooted. I am told that the HiMedia Q10 Pro running Android N 7.0 can not be rooted.

My question.. Is root really necessary or not? Is there any downside not having root.. Thanks..
My box came rooted or so the McAfee security software I installed told me. This is apparently an issue with the boxes, as streaming apps will not work if they see the box as rooted, even though HiMedia says they are not rooted. I updated it to 7 without any thought, for security purposes, though I have yet not run any tests to determine if the box still comes up as rooted to the apps since I have not yet reinstalled the apps I had before.
post #60 of 79 Old 06-30-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gave up on a Sony 3700. Couldn't figure out how to overcome all the DLNA obstacles. Ordered the Q10, got it and plugged it in. Know nothing about Android this or that and nothing about Kodi this or that. I just want the box to see all the shared drives in my home network and play the videos that have been recorded over the last 10 or so years.

Having no obvious instructions I turned it on and tried to set the time. Can even figure out how to get a Settings screen to come up. If someone doesn't mind how can I point the box to my home network and files? Or if there is a pdf online with easy.obvious answers I'd like to read it.

I'm replacing an HDX 1000 that worked almost forever (now dead) and its first screen was the network. Please and thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page