Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) / Atmos over HDMI ARC - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 288Likes

post #301 of 807 Old 09-09-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozwel View Post
Hi guys,

I have just bought a Panasonic TX-55EZ950 high-end OLED TV, it's been released this early summer, so very new.

I have a Yamaha RX-A 2030 from 2013, it can read DD+ contents without issues through HDMI, never had an issue... until I needed ARC.

My use case: I want to use the Netflix app from the TV and only this one. As my amp is not HDCP2.2 it seems that all 4k image signals from Netflix cannot go through my amp (or maybe for another reason but it does not affect my ARC problem, I guess) so I can't use Netflix from PS4 Pro etc. unless I'm ok with 1080p only.

When I launch Netflix from the TV, I can select any of the proposed 2.0 / 5.1 audio options for any series. However, although I have absolutely no problem with stereo contents, everytime I switch to 5.1 sources (and they are the ones by default), my amp either act like no signal (decoder off) is received OR reads a DD+ signal for a few seconds then cuts audio (decoder off). Sometimes it goes on and off, alternating between decoder off >> dd+ >> decoder off >> dd+ etc.

I tried all possible options from the TV. All behaviours described above are with sound set to automatic. When set to PCM, decoder is off and never reads a signal.

Yesterday night something weird occured. The netflix app crashed and the TV auto rebooted itself. after this DD+ signals from Netflix were working great! Then I turned the TV off, my Yamaha off as well. Turned everything back to on and... the problem came back (and is still here).

I tried with different HDMI (High Speed ARC approved) cables.

It's hard for me to test with a different amp so what would you suggest me to do? I thought about asking Panasonic but I am quite confident they will tell me it's the amp or the Netflix app or I should update to the last firmware etc. and I feel like I will lose a lot of time as this is a very specific issue.

One happy end for me would be that my Yam RXA2030 is too old to deal with DD+ ARC.

Thanks
Do you have your TV HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI Output 1 jack on the Yamaha? Have you set HDMI Control on the Yamaha? See pages 35 and 36 of your Yamaha manual...
Ozwel likes this.

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 807 Old 09-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Do you have your TV HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI Output 1 jack on the Yamaha? Have you set HDMI Control on the Yamaha? See pages 35 and 36 of your Yamaha manual...
Yes
Yes

Otherwise ARC Stereo wouldn't work. Only dd+ has issues.
In the TV manual, DD+ is described as supported.
post #303 of 807 Old 09-10-2017, 03:18 AM

I've just performed some additional tests. Honestly I don't know why I did not perform them before.

As you know, my problem happens when using Netflix from the TV (Firefox OS). So I found some DD and DD+ videos on the web and put them on a USB stick.
This way I could still test ARC with DD+ audio.

Well, there is absolutely no issue.

Therefore, tell me if I'm wrong but now the first suspect is the Netflix app which hasn't been updated since 2013 by the way. As Firefox OS is not the most common TV OS on the market, I guess Netflix does not provide a lot of support for this app.

I will open an incident ticket and let you know.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 807 Old 09-11-2017, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I'm still trying to understand, are there any hardware differences between TV's that support DD+ over ARC and TV's that support DD over ARC?
post #305 of 807 Old 09-11-2017, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
I'm still trying to understand, are there any hardware differences between TV's that support DD+ over ARC and TV's that support DD over ARC?
Yes, as I understand it....regular DD over ARC has the bitstream inside the 1.5 Mb/s PCM container, whilst DD+ over ARC has the bitstream inside a 6 Mb/s container. So the receiver has to have the ability to handle 6 Mb/s over ARC, plus the signalling required to handshake.

When eARC eventually arrives, it will put the (Dolby True HD & DTS-HD MA) bitstreams inside a 24 Mb/s container, hence the need for using the rarely used 100 Mb/s ethernet channel for eARC.

Hope that helps.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
post #306 of 807 Old 09-11-2017, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post
Yes, as I understand it....regular DD over ARC has the bitstream inside the 1.5 Mb/s PCM container, whilst DD+ over ARC has the bitstream inside a 6 Mb/s container. So the receiver has to have the ability to handle 6 Mb/s over ARC, plus the signalling required to handshake.

When eARC eventually arrives, it will put the (Dolby True HD & DTS-HD MA) bitstreams inside a 24 Mb/s container, hence the need for using the rarely used 100 Mb/s ethernet channel for eARC.

Hope that helps.
On the TV side, I wonder what the hardware difference is between the 1.5 vs. 6 Mb/s container size.....if it's just firmware, shouldn't it be upgradable?
post #307 of 807 Old 09-12-2017, 09:43 AM

Quick question about eARC: it seems this feature is directly connected to HDMI 2.1, however, can we expect that firmware updates bring eARC to HDMI 2.0a TVs and receivers?
post #308 of 807 Old 09-12-2017, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Hope that helps.
Can this be done on a 1.4 hdmi input or do you need hdmi 2.0 for that.. if I understand it correctly the bandwidth of 1.4 is enough? for audio only arc.

I am asking cos I might be interested in buying a Dolby Atmos Soundbar over here in Europe with a 1.4 hdmi limit.. stupid yeah I know.
https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/B8_12/...undbar-speaker
post #309 of 807 Old 09-13-2017, 12:54 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by olof79 View Post
Can this be done on a 1.4 hdmi input or do you need hdmi 2.0 for that.. if I understand it correctly the bandwidth of 1.4 is enough? for audio only arc.

I am asking cos I might be interested in buying a Dolby Atmos Soundbar over here in Europe with a 1.4 hdmi limit.. stupid yeah I know.
There's a bandwidth to send DD+ over ARC.

The problem is that TV does not simply pass DD+ through. It decodes it to add its own system sounds of menu clicks etc. Then it have to re-encode it. As SPDIF is not capable of sending enough data DD stream is encoded instead of DD+. TV would have to re-encode DD and DD+ separate for HDMI and SPDIF (and you don't know if something is connected to SPDIF or not as it's simple output). Vendors went the easiest path and implemented it such that DD is sent to both SPDIF and HDMI.
post #310 of 807 Old 09-13-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorzynsk View Post
There's a bandwidth to send DD+ over ARC.

The problem is that TV does not simply pass DD+ through. It decodes it to add its own system sounds of menu clicks etc. Then it have to re-encode it. As SPDIF is not capable of sending enough data DD stream is encoded instead of DD+. TV would have to re-encode DD and DD+ separate for HDMI and SPDIF (and you don't know if something is connected to SPDIF or not as it's simple output). Vendors went the easiest path and implemented it such that DD is sent to both SPDIF and HDMI.
My Vizio sends DD+ over ARC...
Oldways7 likes this.

Bobby 

post #311 of 807 Old 09-14-2017, 11:47 PM

Liked: 10
There was an update released a few days ago for this TV (LG OLED model B6P). It's available here: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B6P

The version number is 5.30.03. Anyone get it and test if this allows Atmos over ARC?

Thanks!
post #312 of 807 Old 09-15-2017, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer001 View Post
There was an update released a few days ago for this TV (LG OLED model B6P). It's available here: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B6P

The version number is 5.30.03. Anyone get it and test if this allows Atmos over ARC?

Thanks!
This is the release notes:

[05.30.03]
1. Added notification pop up for when app is no longer supported
2. Change in background image of no signal screen
3. Change in Amazon HDR mode
post #313 of 807 Old 09-19-2017, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Marantz SR6010

I’m hoping someone out there can test for DD+ over arc for the Marantz SR6010 receiver. This is the model that I own. However, I can’t run the test as I’m using a 2012 Panasonic Plasma currently. I’m going to upgrade to a 2018 LG OLED next year and if DD+ works over arc then I won’t have to upgrade my receiver.
post #314 of 807 Old 09-19-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerkevin View Post
I’m hoping someone out there can test for DD+ over arc for the Marantz SR6010 receiver. This is the model that I own. However, I can’t run the test as I’m using a 2012 Panasonic Plasma currently. I’m going to upgrade to a 2018 LG OLED next year and if DD+ works over arc then I won’t have to upgrade my receiver.
I have a Denon x2300W which has many similarities to your Marantz. I get DD+ and Atmos over ARC. I think you'll be just fine Marantz wise. Now the LG passing DD+ can be a question. I know my Vizio does....
soonerkevin likes this.

Bobby 

post #315 of 807 Old 09-20-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
I have a Denon x2300W which has many similarities to your Marantz. I get DD+ and Atmos over ARC. I think you'll be just fine Marantz wise. Now the LG passing DD+ can be a question. I know my Vizio does....
That’s great to hear. The 2017 LG OLED’s pass DD+ so I’m sure they will in 2018.
post #316 of 807 Old 09-20-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
I've always thought DD+ over ARC was primarily a limitation on the TV/display side, and not the AVR...
post #317 of 807 Old 09-20-2017, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerkevin View Post

Almost positive it will since the SR7010 is tested and working. Why don’t you test for everyone and report back here when you get your new TV?

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front) | RP-250C (Center) | R-115SW (Sub)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
post #318 of 807 Old 09-21-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDis View Post
Almost positive it will since the SR7010 is tested and working. Why don’t you test for everyone and report back here when you get your new TV?
I will be sure to do that!
post #319 of 807 Old 09-30-2017, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Does anyone know if they make a device with will "extract" the ARC audio from a signal and output it on separate HDMI output? I know they make devices that will do this via SPDIF but that cant handle DD+/ATMOS.

The issue is my tv will output DD+/ATMOS via ARC but Im starting to think my SC-95 receiver doesn't support it. With a device like I described above I could strip out the ARC audio and send it to a standard input on the SC-95.
post #320 of 807 Old 09-30-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsco View Post
Does anyone know if they make a device with will "extract" the ARC audio from a signal and output it on separate HDMI output? I know they make devices that will do this via SPDIF but that cant handle DD+/ATMOS.

The issue is my tv will output DD+/ATMOS via ARC but Im starting to think my SC-95 receiver doesn't support it. With a device like I described above I could strip out the ARC audio and send it to a standard input on the SC-95.
HDFury just came out with a product called AVR Key which will do what you want albeit it is a bit pricey.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/

LG OLED 65C7P, Denon AVR-X7200WA, Apple 4K, Oppo UDP-203, PS4, Xbox One X
Nvidia Sheild Pro, HTPC, (2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (4)RS-52IIs,, (1)RP-450CA,
(4) RP-140SA, SVS PB12-Plus, Emotiva XPA-100, XPA-200, Emotiva A-700
LG OLED 55C8PUA, Denon x4400h, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820,
Nvidia Shield, Klipsch G-42,(2) R-3650-W-II,(4) RSL-C34E, SVS SB-1000, UPA-200
post #321 of 807 Old 09-30-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
HDFury just came out with a product called AVR Key which will do what you want albeit it is a bit pricey.

https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/

I've seen this and while it will split out regular audio from a HDMI stream, it will not strip out ARC audio.
post #322 of 807 Old 09-30-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsco View Post
I've seen this and while it will split out regular audio from a HDMI stream, it will not strip out ARC audio.

Ohhh Duh, sorry, complete brain freeze on that one. Of course that won't work.

post #323 of 807 Old 09-30-2017, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
DD+ can carry Dolby Atmos from smart TV apps to an AVR or Soundbar. So far, few TVs support this feature.

There is a lot of misinformation about this topic, and I'm moving a recent discussion here from the Vizio 2016 P Series thread, because it was getting too off topic there.

The technical basics: Dolby Digital Plus (technical term: E-AC-3) is an IEC-61937 audio format with a frame rate of 192 kHz, as opposed to the older Dolby Digital (AC-3), which has an IEC frame rate of 48 kHz. DD can carry channel based audio with up to 5.1 channels, while DD+ can carry up to 7.1 channel based, as well as Dolby Atmos object based audio.

IEC based interfaces in consumer devices are SPDIF (on both RCA and optical connectors) and HDMI ARC. The latter is an audio connection from an HDMI input (e.g. on a TV) to an HDMI output (e.g. on an AVR). It travels the opposite direction from the normal HDMI video/audio connection, hence the name "Audio Return Channel".

HDMI ARC has capability negotiation, using HDMI CEC messages, while SPDIF does not. This means, an ARC source (TV) can determine which audio formats are understood by the ARC receiver (AVR, Soundbar), while an SPDIF source can just try and send stuff and hope for the best. Mainly for this reason, SPDIF is usually limited to the 48 kHz realm (DD, DTS and stereo PCM), and often can not support the 96 and 192 kHz formats (96 kHz PCM, DD+, DTS-HD High Resolution). Cables and connectors are another limiting factor, often not supporting the frequency range for 192 kHz.

ARC is mainly used when an AVR or an HDMI connected Soundbar are used with a TV. Audio that originates from the TV, such as from the tuner, from OTT ("Over The Top") apps like Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, etc., or even from other HDMI inputs to the TV, can be sent to the sound device without the need for an extra cable.

Many TVs have both an SPDIF output as well as ARC on one of the HDMI inputs. This gives users the option to use SPDIF or ARC.

Now, this was all fine and dandy while there was only 48 kHz audio. TVs were built with chips that had just one audio output, and that audio was sent to SPDIF and ARC at the same time. But now there is Atmos. BD and UHD Blu-ray, Vudu UHD streams, and other sort of "premium" content comes with "premium" immersive audio, mostly Atmos. A lot of TV maker did not prepare for that, and are still downgrading DD+ content to DD before sending it out on ARC. So, we get plain 2.0 or 5.1 with the spiffy new UHD HDR 4K video.

Slowly TVs are starting to support this, in particular Dolby Vision TVs (though not all of the initial ones). I'll work on maintaining a list of TVs, AVRs and Soundbars that support DD+ over ARC, since this information is often hard to find. If you encounter a device, let me know and I'll add it to the lists.

Please find the lists below.
I just randomly ran across this thread, but I'm very happy to see it. I got tired of arguing with people that I was getting an Atmos signal from my P75-c1 via ARC while casting Vudu and Netflix to my set.

I bought a new house 4 months ago, and I've spent the last 4 months remodeling (that's another story), but I was very disappointed to find out that I couldn't use an Atmos setup in my living room. The only room in my house that I was able to setup a 7.1.4 system was in the media room upstairs, and I had my Vizio P75-c1 installed in this room for this particular reason. I would have loved to have an Atmos setup in my living room, where my new LG W7 is setup, but I don't want to have free standing speakers visible around the room. I sold all my free standing speakers and now have a 7.1.4 setup using all in-wall/on-wall/in-ceiling speakers in my media room. The installers have been installing my AV system for 4 months now and are almost finished, and I'm literally dying to start watching movies again. I'm sure I'll be spending the majority of this weekend updating firmware on every component I have, then I can start to enjoy my new house.

Again, thank you for starting this thread, even though I see it was started over a year ago, but it's been a busy year, and I haven't spent as much time on this forum as I used to. From what I've read recently, I believe an updated version of ARC is in the works (ARCe or eARC, I forgot), but this newer version should make this possible for every device to output Atmos via ARC. I guess I got lucky with my Vizio, which was the first HDR set I bought. Now, every TV in my house is 4K HDR, and all of them are setup on an A/V matrix. Now, at least I have a good resource to go to whenever I want to upgrade my Vizio P75-c1. Thanks again (belated) for this thread!
post #324 of 807 Old 09-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDis View Post
I own an SR7010, and while it was hooked up to my Vizio P75-c1, when I would cast DV content from Vudu or Netflix to my Vizio, using the ARC signal, it would always read Atmos on the front of my SR7010.
TrueDis likes this.
post #325 of 807 Old 10-03-2017, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've bot a 2017 LG OLED connected via HDMI ARC to a Denon AVR-X7200WA. With Netflix watching "Okja", it seems to pass Atmos to the Denon. At least the Denon shows "Dolby Atmos" on the front of the display.

I have two questions:
1. There is a lip sync issue where the audio is significantly delayed. At first I thought this was the LG TV adding audio delay due to its processing, but most of the delay goes away if I change the Denon sound mode to Stereo or Direct. Seems like it must be the Denon. Has anybody seen audio processing delays with somewhat old Atmos receivers?

2. How can I know that none of the Atmos meta data beyond 7.1 hasn't been destroyed en route to the TV? I don't actually have Atmos ceiling speakers yet so I want to be sure this will work. Is it likely the case that the data is making its way over to the receiver if the receive says "Dolby Atmos" on the front?
post #326 of 807 Old 10-03-2017, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmansbr View Post
I've bot a 2017 LG OLED connected via HDMI ARC to a Denon AVR-X7200WA. With Netflix watching "Okja", it seems to pass Atmos to the Denon. At least the Denon shows "Dolby Atmos" on the front of the display.

I have two questions:
1. There is a lip sync issue where the audio is significantly delayed. At first I thought this was the LG TV adding audio delay due to its processing, but most of the delay goes away if I change the Denon sound mode to Stereo or Direct. Seems like it must be the Denon. Has anybody seen audio processing delays with somewhat old Atmos receivers?

2. How can I know that none of the Atmos meta data beyond 7.1 hasn't been destroyed en route to the TV? I don't actually have Atmos ceiling speakers yet so I want to be sure this will work. Is it likely the case that the data is making its way over to the receiver if the receive says "Dolby Atmos" on the front?
1. 2017 LG OLEDs have widespread complaints about lipsync issues via ARC. Thankfully Denon has some lipsync tools you can use to get everything synced up. I am running an LG C7 to my x7200wa without issue but I haven't watched any Atmos from Netflix. I will give that title a try later and see what I have to do, if anything, to sync up the audio.

2. If the Receiver says Atmos then you are getting Atmos. That is the only time Atmos will even be a sound option on your Denon.

post #327 of 807 Old 10-03-2017, 09:43 AM

Liked: 0
Hello,
I have bought a LG OLED 65C7D. I'm running the TV with an Denon AVR-X3200W - connected via HDMI ARC. I'm playing content from Netflix and Amazon (internal LG apps) and the DD+ Audio is not working correct.
The sound itself is working and I can hear everything but I have short interruptions of the sound (you can see that the dolby digital logo in the display disapear and appear again). The sound disconnects for 1-2 seconds. This happens so often (somtimes seconds.. sometimes after minuets) that the movie / series is unwatchable.

I wrote earlier in the thread that only Denon AVR-X3300W supports DD+ over HDMI ARC - so am I correct, that my AVR is not support DD+ over HDMI ARC?

How can I solve that? Does anyone has an idea? Using a optical cable and only receiving DD? I already tried to force the TV to use DD (changing in the Menue from "Automatic" to "Dolby Digital" but it is still using DD+

Thank you!!
post #328 of 807 Old 10-03-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
1. 2017 LG OLEDs have widespread complaints about lipsync issues via ARC.
I've Googled quite a bit and found a few complaints, but nothing widespread. I'm trying to find a thread with many annoyed people to show to LG Signature customer service. They deny the problem. Any pointers?

Quote:
Thankfully Denon has some lipsync tools you can use to get everything synced up. I am running an LG C7 to my x7200wa without issue but I haven't watched any Atmos from Netflix. I will give that title a try later and see what I have to do, if anything, to sync up the audio.
I think that won't work. The audio output from the TV is delayed and there is no "go back in time" feature in the Denon to make it get in sync. And if you're using the TV Apps to watch Netflix Atmos content, there's no other choice than an LG or an XBox.

I'm pretty sure the LG is the culprit. Here's some tests I've done to prove it:

1. Went to Best Buy and had them connect the LG SJ-9 soundbar to an LG OLED with HDMI ARC and played Okja from Netflix. Lip sync issues the same as my Denon.

2. Used a Samsung UBD-K8500 to play a UHD BD disk with Atmos (The Martian). Split the audio and the video using the dual HDMI outputs on the player. HDMI 1 to TV, HDMI 2 to Denon. Zero audio delay. This seems like the smoking gun.

3. Connected Chromecast Ultra to Denon and passthru video to LG while having the receiver decode sound. Use Vudu to cast any Atmos UHD title (Wonder Woman, Mad Max: Fury Road). There is almost no audio delay. Easily fixed with receiver adjustment.

They need to either fix their processing delay calculations or provide a larger negative AV Sync adjustment. I hope one of these is technically possible.
galonzo likes this.
post #329 of 807 Old 10-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabe12 View Post
Hello,
I have bought a LG OLED 65C7D. I'm running the TV with an Denon AVR-X3200W - connected via HDMI ARC. I'm playing content from Netflix and Amazon (internal LG apps) and the DD+ Audio is not working correct.
The sound itself is working and I can hear everything but I have short interruptions of the sound (you can see that the dolby digital logo in the display disapear and appear again). The sound disconnects for 1-2 seconds. This happens so often (somtimes seconds.. sometimes after minuets) that the movie / series is unwatchable.

I wrote earlier in the thread that only Denon AVR-X3300W supports DD+ over HDMI ARC - so am I correct, that my AVR is not support DD+ over HDMI ARC?

How can I solve that? Does anyone has an idea? Using a optical cable and only receiving DD? I already tried to force the TV to use DD (changing in the Menue from "Automatic" to "Dolby Digital" but it is still using DD+

Thank you!!
Have you tried a high quality HDMI cable. This apparently makes a difference in some cases. Though I can't imagine it would for audio. Worth a try. I'm not sure if the 3200 is capable. I have no audio interruptions with my Denone X7200wa. It receives both DD+ and Atmos. Though I do get lip sync delay that is not fixable.
post #330 of 807 Old 10-03-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmansbr View Post
I've Googled quite a bit and found a few complaints, but nothing widespread. I'm trying to find a thread with many annoyed people to show to LG Signature customer service. They deny the problem. Any pointers?

I think that won't work. The audio output from the TV is delayed and there is no "go back in time" feature in the Denon to make it get in sync. And if you're using the TV Apps to watch Netflix Atmos content, there's no other choice than an LG or an XBox.

I'm pretty sure the LG is the culprit. Here's some tests I've done to prove it:

1. Went to Best Buy and had them connect the LG SJ-9 soundbar to an LG OLED with HDMI ARC and played Okja from Netflix. Lip sync issues the same as my Denon.

2. Used a Samsung UBD-K8500 to play a UHD BD disk with Atmos (The Martian). Split the audio and the video using the dual HDMI outputs on the player. HDMI 1 to TV, HDMI 2 to Denon. Zero audio delay. This seems like the smoking gun.

3. Connected Chromecast Ultra to Denon and passthru video to LG while having the receiver decode sound. Use Vudu to cast any Atmos UHD title (Wonder Woman, Mad Max: Fury Road). There is almost no audio delay. Easily fixed with receiver adjustment.

They need to either fix their processing delay calculations or provide a larger negative AV Sync adjustment. I hope one of these is technically possible.
Unfortunately the complaints spread out over every 2017 LG OLED thread I have found on the internet. No one thread has been set up for the issue. Maybe start one on here? Everyone over in the LG B7/C7 owners thread who has the issue peppers it into the conversation randomly.

As far as the Denon lip sync correction, yes it may not work but it is worth a shot. the LG also has an Audio Sync feature but no one is reporting that to do much of anything. Again when I have time in a little while I will test my setup to see if I also get the delay and if anything fixes it on my system.

I can't remember which thread it is in but someone posted that LG is aware of the issue and a firmware update will come at some point in the future to address it. Grain of salt...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page