3Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 09-07-2016, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Dune HD Solo Lite

Dune just announced a new player: A lite version of the Solo 4K.

Main difference to the Solo 4K:
  • cheaper (199€ incl. VAT)
  • no Wifi antennas included and only 802.11n standard
  • no HDD
  • no TV input
  • no ZWAVE
  • no Android. But its not like the Solo 4K has it
  • BD menu capabilities require a license that can be bought
  • Jukebox also requires a license. Costs are unknown

BD menu and Jukebox are currently not available. Planned is second half of September. Trial period is also planned.

http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full...dia_players/49
raif71 and DruidCtba like this.

Last edited by Sledgehamma; 09-07-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 09-07-2016, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post

• no HDD
  • no TV input
  • no ZWAVE

BD menu and Jukebox are currently not availablSoloe. Planned is second half of September. Trial period is also planned.

So for roughly US$130 less than the standard Solo I get:

- No Zwave [which doesn't work in the US on the regular Solo]
- No TV [which doesn't work in the US on the regular Solo]
- Unknown full BD menu capability or pricing
- Unknown pricing for built in scraper
- no other improvements over the standard product

Honestly, I really would like to replace my PCH 410 with one of these, but what is this announcement saying? I was thinking that one or two more firmware updates would make the Solo 4K would the risk, but now they're going to start the project all over again?

As far as Full BD menus, the website linked above says:
The option is not currently available.
The firmware update which will add support for this option is planned to become available in the first half of Sep/2016.
A free trial/promo period is planned.

Uh... thats one week from now.... same date for the scraper.

This looks like a product launch that was supposed to happen two+ months ago.
post #3 of 46 Old 10-31-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Is there any update on the Solo Lite with respect to Full BD menus and the built-in scraper? I'm coming from an A-400 and the Lite is all I need but I'd hate to not have these features available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 10-31-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Is there any update on the Solo Lite with respect to Full BD menus and the built-in scraper? I'm coming from an A-400 and the Lite is all I need but I'd hate to not have these features available.

1.99 a month for full bd menu. and a 1.99 a month for my collections
post #5 of 46 Old 10-31-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
So basically worth the upgrade to the full version if you value these features. Thanks for info.
post #6 of 46 Old 10-31-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post
This is bound to fail. What a horrible idea. What are they thinking? Who would buy into this?

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #7 of 46 Old 10-31-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
This is bound to fail. What a horrible idea. What are they thinking? Who would buy into this?
I think they need a new business model. The main problem that has plagued the STB market has always been the revenue stream between launches but this one I don't like as a guarantee they are copying it from VidON which did the same thing but then started adding things like HD audio as a monthly fee. For 3.99 VidOn will give you bluray menus and HDAudio and access to My Media which is similar to MyCollection. I hope the market does no turn into a Pay to Play.

They need to come up with premium apps or something but the market is not there. PCH tried it the app store they have allows Premium apps that people can charge for but sadly flashlite is a terrible language to build nice apps. Running QT is slightly better but
post #8 of 46 Old 11-22-2016, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehamma View Post

• no HDD
  • no TV input
  • no ZWAVE

BD menu and Jukebox are currently not available. Planned is second half of September. Trial period is also planned.

Dune HD Solo Lite,

If I wanted to purchase one, in the USA what would be my best option? is there a distributor that stocks them in the US, Is it going to be a pain to have one imported into the country with duty's and taxes? will I need to worry about the plug / power adapter? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
post #9 of 46 Old 11-22-2016, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 355
post #10 of 46 Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 65
+1 for duneplayer.com. I just bought three Dune HD 4K players and they were delivered quickly to Texas with no problems. They work great.
post #11 of 46 Old 02-08-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Smile ordered a DundHD Solo-Lite today - experiece soon (now in use)

hi folks,

after browsing lots of specs and info on the web, i ordered my DuneHD solo-lite , will get it tomorrow afternoon, if postage works as promised.

I bought the dune 'cause of promised 3d support and dvd and bd-iso playback and mostly, DTS-HDMA and TrueHD passthrough,., as my ht-receiver supports this.
i have a failrly recent 1080p 3d samsung TV , so i will not bee using 4k playback. I look forward to playing a Full-BD-Rip with both hd audio (thru my HTR) AND (dutch) subs, as none of my different media-playback devices handle the whole package.

I will also test the bd iso Full Menu playback and consider the 1,99euro a month fee (OR 20eur a year, which is cheaper)

as the Lite was on offer in my country at 170euros and the 4k Full solo was 349 euros, and i dont need the extra options of the 4k solo (full)) , it takes 9 years of licence fee for bd menus to be on the same pricce level as the full solo 4k price.

[EDIT] I now have my DuneHD Solo-Lite and am, after one day of extensive testing (mostly of streaming and audio possibilities), VERY pleased with this device. I cant speak for the 4k stuff as i don't own a 4k tv/screen. But the 1080p video and upscaling of DVD/sd and the (HD)Audio Passthrough to my 5.1HTR (Yamaha) with DTS-HDMA and TrueHD capabilities, is excellent. (I connected thru'ethernet wired network. easy as pie to set up) Also have tested the BD-iso (rip) menu playback, both the lite one and the Full-BD-Menus (on free trial). I am definitely going to pay the subscription fee for the full BD-menu support, as its great.
Also the 3D is perfect and easy to use, though no 3d-button on remote, that hides in the pop-up menu button, a few clicks away to get 3d mode on HSBS, etc , mkv's.

Okay, i had a few bonus material issues on a star trek III bd-iso , so then i ran these materials from the bd-lite menu, then they played fine (on the full menu they gave image distortions that made the vids unwatchable. maybe a cinavia issue?) The main film played with full menus, beautifully though.

I am also very pleased with the range of videos it plays. AND in every case, also the subtitles, both bd-pgs and dvd and external and internal srt. Also it plays DVD rip Video-Ts folder menus properly. WOW!!!

I am futhermore pleased with the speed and usability of the GUI interface. the menu structure is clear and simple and intuitive. The provided IR-Remote works wel too. good wide reception angle.

Only minor issue is some apps or a specific menu option (a license sheet) would not get to close in any way, tried all the buttons on the RC, but ended up having to shut down the dune with the RC off button. This happenend twice today. {EDIT2:} the STOP (black square) button closes this, after all. Problem Solved {/Edit}

Also, i tried the Movie Wall (MyCollections app) whilst still on free trial. That does quite well. And is easy to use. But not sure if i'll pay a furtther 20 euros a year for that too, together with the 20eur a year for bd-full-menu support.

That's it for now.

regards, Dalek69

Last edited by dalek69; 02-10-2017 at 03:30 AM. Reason: updated info 2
post #12 of 46 Old 02-11-2017, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
does YADIS work on the Dune HD Solo Lite?
post #13 of 46 Old 02-16-2017, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just got Dune HD Solo Lite.

I have a question, when you play 3d ISO image it only plays as 3D, is it possible to play it as 2D or switch between 3D and 2D?

Thank you
post #14 of 46 Old 02-17-2017, 02:57 AM

dune cant turn 3d iso to 2d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdeal13 View Post
I just got Dune HD Solo Lite.

I have a question, when you play 3d ISO image it only plays as 3D, is it possible to play it as 2D or switch between 3D and 2D?

Thank you
No, on a 3d Bluray iso there is no DUNE-setting to return to 2d mode, unless the specific Bluray iso itself has a 2d or 3d mode choice in the Popup Menu. (RC button). (Like the (james camerons) 'Avatar' 3d bluray). But most 3d blurays only have the 3d version automatically playing.
However, most 3d-TVs (or monitors) have their own 3d mode setting on the tv remote/ monitor buttons. (Mine, a samsung 3d-tv, does) so i can use my TV remote to switch to a 2d image on a 3d bluray iso played from the Dune. When you want to switch to 3d mode again whilst still watching in 2d mode, again use the TV remote 3d mode setting to re-switch to 3d mode.

On the DUNE in 3d iso mode, when playing Full BD menu option, you can have a setting: the left eye first / right eye first 3d switch, found on the dune remote 'setup' button, chosse option [3d mode] in the list. When you play the 3d iso with BD-Lite menu mode and only play the 3d-film file, you can then use the Popup Menu RC button of Dune remote to get to this left eye first etc, switch option.

Of course, when noy yet playing a 3d bluray iso, you can go to the setup menu and turn the entire 3d modus off, i trust you will then see a 3d blurray in 2d mode, but i haven't actually tried this out myself. But this is a bit cumbersome, if you then want to rewatch in 3d, stop the film. go to settings, playback, turn on 3d mode and go back and start the 3d bluray in 3d mode (automatic).

regards, RR.
post #15 of 46 Old 02-18-2017, 11:17 PM

does anyone has a problem with recognizing sub and idx subtitles? i have mkv, sub and idx files with the same name but DUNE HD Solo Lite just doesn't recognize it.
post #16 of 46 Old 02-19-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
does anyone has a problem with recognizing sub and idx subtitles? i have mkv, sub and idx files with the same name but DUNE HD Solo Lite just doesn't recognize it.
Hi, first of all, you can set subtitles settings in settings. You can choose the 'file subs ' setting to preferred internal or preferred external subs.
BUT, i ve set it to external (first), and when having both a set of external idx and sub files AND a srt file, all with the same filename as the mkv video,
My dune does only 'see' the srt file subs. I get to choose only one sub track in the sub rc button menu.

The 'sub' file support is mentioned in the specs of this dune, but my experience is it doesn't show the external sub/idx combination.

I do have some videos with a combination of internal sub tracks (mkv file),
And a external srt sub, and then i can cycle through both the internal AND the single external srt subs.
But not sure if the internals are 'sub 'format.

i will try that video mkv with external sub/idx and srt and temp. Remove the srt and see if it supports the sub.

I ll get back to you here.
post #17 of 46 Old 02-19-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek69 View Post
Hi, first of all, you can set subtitles settings in settings. You can choose the 'file subs ' setting to preferred internal or preferred external subs.
BUT, i ve set it to external (first), and when having both a set of external idx and sub files AND a srt file, all with the same filename as the mkv video,
My dune does only 'see' the srt file subs. I get to choose only one sub track in the sub rc button menu.

The 'sub' file support is mentioned in the specs of this dune, but my experience is it doesn't show the external sub/idx combination.

I do have some videos with a combination of internal sub tracks (mkv file),
And a external srt sub, and then i can cycle through both the internal AND the single external srt subs.
But not sure if the internals are 'sub 'format.

i will try that video mkv with external sub/idx and srt and temp. Remove the srt and see if it supports the sub.

I ll get back to you here.

i have exactly the same problem, srt works fine but Dune HD sees sub/idx files but doesn't recognize it as subtitles, even when i press pop up menu on RC it's just doesn't see it
post #18 of 46 Old 02-22-2017, 11:18 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
i have exactly the same problem, srt works fine but Dune HD sees sub/idx files but doesn't recognize it as subtitles, even when i press pop up menu on RC it's just doesn't see it
Nope. external sub/idx subtitles cannot be seen. Tried different code page settings in settings: auto, UTF8 unicode and western1252, no difference.
maybe its a coding of the sub thing...

for now, i rely on srt subs and internal subs.

Greetz. D69
post #19 of 46 Old 02-22-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Nope. external sub/idx subtitles cannot be seen. Tried different code page settings in settings: auto, UTF8 unicode and western1252, no difference.
maybe its a coding of the sub thing...

for now, i rely on srt subs and internal subs.

Greetz. D69
i think i found why it doesn't work. Someone from Dune hd solo 4k thread confirmed that sub/idx only work with SD movies up to 576p.
post #20 of 46 Old 02-22-2017, 02:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
i think i found why it doesn't work. Someone from Dune hd solo 4k thread confirmed that sub/idx only work with SD movies up to 576p.
ok, that figures, I read in the specs that the sub/idx is or can be a VobSub format, and that's DVD subs (rip as a file).
Thanks for informing me/us and finding it out. Mystery solved.

in most cases with some google/subs sites search, you can find the right srt subs files , which work fine.

http://www.subtitleseeker.com/ (Films and series)

http://www.addic7ed.com/ (TV Series)
post #21 of 46 Old 02-22-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post
does YADIS work on the Dune HD Solo Lite?
yes, yadis (2.3) works on the solo lite.
but i am not altogether happy with this program, it does not suit me very well.

I'll stick to folder / shares browsing.
post #22 of 46 Old 02-23-2017, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Zoom function works incorrectly

Hi,

on my previous Dune TV 303D the extended zoom worked nicely:

if you had a letterboxed movie you could increase stepwise the movie size and thus shrink the black bar area. In the new Solo lite I found that the movie is still enlarged, but only within the fixed area between the black bars. So I do NOT get more visible screen area.

I had a similar behaviour originally with the TV303D, but one of the setting changed the behaviour to the correct one. I tried now all I could think of with the new player, but was not able yet to get the required zoom behaviour.

Is this not working anymore? Did I miss something?

With current behaviour the device will be returned, I am afraid ...

Greetings
Andreas
post #23 of 46 Old 02-23-2017, 05:30 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraub View Post
Hi,

if you had a letterboxed movie you could increase stepwise the movie size and thus shrink the black bar area. In the new Solo lite I found that the movie is still enlarged, but only within the fixed area between the black bars. So I do NOT get more visible screen area.
Andreas
Did you try a different video files too? some widescreen mkv's have the black bars included in the frame and some not. this COULD determine zoom behavior on the Dune, but i am not sure...
I managed to zoom a certain widescreen video to (more or less ) fullscreen.

D69
post #24 of 46 Old 02-23-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Did you try a different video files too? some widescreen mkv's have the black bars included in the frame and some not. this COULD determine zoom behavior on the Dune, but i am not sure...
I managed to zoom a certain widescreen video to (more or less ) fullscreen.

D69
I will check again, but I tried a few movies. Did you use the extended zoom feature or one of the other zoom modes?
post #25 of 46 Old 02-23-2017, 06:14 AM

Smile

Quote:
I will check again, but I tried a few movies. Did you use the extended zoom feature or one of the other zoom modes?
Don't know about 'extended zoom mode' , just tried the zoom button switch on the RC.
but i don't know what mkv or bluray i tried it on. Will be away for a week, so i cannot try it any time soon myself...
Good luck!

{EDIT} i see on the Dune Hd Solo 4k avs forum thread, that you got an answer on the zoom modes and possibilities.... solo lite and solo 4k are same in that respect, i believe.

D69

Last edited by dalek69; 02-28-2017 at 04:57 AM. Reason: update info
post #26 of 46 Old 03-01-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I had a similar behaviour originally with the TV303D, but one of the setting changed the behaviour to the correct one. I tried now all I could think of with the new player, but was not able yet to get the required zoom behaviour.

Is this not working anymore? Did I miss something?

With current behaviour the device will be returned, I am afraid ...

Greetings
Andreas
Hi, i am home, access to my dune, i just ran a widescreen full BD iso rip, and could with the zoom settings (buttion) get a full screen image with the zoom setting 'enlarge'. (obviously, left and right bits of the image are chopped off with this. but the image fills the screen. But even in enlarge, the subtitles remain visible.

This also works for a 4:3 DVD folder playback.

Will try a widescreen MKV next....
Yes, mkv's in widescreen with black borders are zoomed to fullscreen with 'zoom: enlarge' option too. (left / right parts cutoff).

greetz.
post #27 of 46 Old 03-01-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Hi, i am home, access to my dune, i just ran a widescreen full BD iso rip, and could with the zoom settings (buttion) get a full screen image with the zoom setting 'enlarge'. (obviously, left and right bits of the image are chopped off with this. but the image fills the screen. But even in enlarge, the subtitles remain visible.

This also works for a 4:3 DVD folder playback.

Will try a widescreen MKV next....
Yes, mkv's in widescreen with black borders are zoomed to fullscreen with 'zoom: enlarge' option too. (left / right parts cutoff).

greetz.
Hi, unfortunately this is not the zoom mode I was talking about. You need to go to the custom zoom mode, where you will find option to zoom for example by a factor of 1.05, 1.11, 1.18 and alike and can also shift the picture vertically.

I contacted the Hd-europe guys and they confirmed that this bug is known and will be addressed in the next firmware update.
post #28 of 46 Old 03-01-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Hi, unfortunately this is not the zoom mode I was talking about. You need to go to the custom zoom mode, where you will find option to zoom for example by a factor of 1.05, 1.11, 1.18 and alike and can also shift the picture vertically.

I contacted the Hd-europe guys and they confirmed that this bug is known and will be addressed in the next firmware update.
Ahhhh yes, i've seen THAT zoom mode. Haven't tried that yet, i don't need it myself. NOW i know what you were talking about, when you mentioned " extended zoom mode"earlier.

Well, good luck with that, I hope they (Dune support) fix it for you within a reasonable time span.

Regards, D69.
post #29 of 46 Old 08-17-2017, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 218
ok, now that the premium functions are free, what is the reason to choose the more expensive version over this one?
RaggedEdge likes this.
post #30 of 46 Old 08-17-2017, 09:14 AM

solo 4k over solo lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
ok, now that the premium functions are free, what is the reason to choose the more expensive version over this one?
the solo 4k (the expensive one) can house a internal harddisk/ssd, amongst other features. and it has a digital tv capability of some sort, i believe (or, can record video (pvr) with the right hardware or inputs whatever attached...)

i for one am very happy wth the solo version, even more now the bd menus and my collection are no longer premium (payed).

Doctor WHO Rocks! Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey stuff.... ans Star Trek Discovery is A-mazing! ***my Devices***DuneHD Solo-Lite (mediapl) // Xtreamer MK1 (mediapl) // TV: Samsung UE40F6320 (3D LED Smart TV) // BDP: LG BP-430 (3d) // AVR: PIONEER VSX-LX303 (Atmos + DTS-X 9.2 ch receiver) // Gigabit LAN Wired. // Windows10 PC + Synology DS215j NAS for shares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page