Need help with wifi issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By psuKinger
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-24-2016, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help with wifi issue

I have had AT&T U-verse for about 2 years (the 18 mbps plan, as that is the fastest they offer in my area). I have rented their modem which is the Arris NVG589, since I have had their service and have ALWAYS had consistent wifi signal all throughout the house no matter which room I am in. When I would run the speed test over wifi, it was always 18-20 mbps no matter where in the house I was, EVEN in the basement. 18 megs was exactly what I was paying for, so can't complain about that.

I recently decided to make the switch to a cable internet provider so that I could upgrade to a faster speed. I ended up switching to WOW (Wide Open West) Cable for their internet only. I chose their 60 mbps plan, which was only $39.99 per month if you use your own modem and don't rent one from them. I was told a modem/router combo unit would only run between $100 and $120, and after a year or so it would essentially pay for itself. I ended up buying the Arris SBG6580. This week, the WOW Cable guy came and installed it for me. He wired everything and activated it and it was up and running. While the guy was still here, I logged into the new wifi with my phone and immediately ran a speed test while standing right next to the modem. The test was great. It was over 60 megs actually. It was almost 70. But as I walked down the stairs, not 20 feet away, I ran it and it tested at about 40 megs. I then turned the corner to the kitchen and tested it there. It tested there at about 30 megs. I then walked to the basement and tested it and it was only 1 freaking meg! The installer gave me a few measly excuse and said he couldn't help since it wasn't their modem. He then left and I decided to call Arris since they are the manufacturer of the modem/router. The guy on the phone told me how to log in to the modem's IP address and change the settings. He walked me through a few things and told me how to change the wifi channel and just to test each one with a speed test. I went ahead and did that and eventually found 2 or 3 channels that were much better. However, the issue then became EXTREMELY inconsistent speeds. Several rooms pick up 60+ megs when I run the test. Several other rooms range anywhere from 20-50 megs depending on when I do a test. The basement still with the poorest speeds of the house.

I would like to make note that this new modem is in the EXACT SAME spot that I had the AT&T modem at, so modem/router location should NOT be the issue.

A few times I have tried rebooting the modem. It seems like when I first reboot is when it seems like the speeds are the best. Tonight I rebooted and walked to the basement and did a speed test and I got over 60! Then tried several more tests over a 5-10 minute period and each time the speed seemed to go down by about 10 megs. I then came down about 30 minutes later after leaving and then it was back to testing below 5 megs. Very frustrating.

I did something very smart though. When I signed up for WOW Cable, I decided I wasn't going to cancel or have my AT&T service turned off until I was 100% sure I was satisfied with the new service in case there were any issues. My wife works from home, so she couldn't afford to have no internet or completely crappy internet with no backup.

So tonight after doing more disappointing speed tests with the WOW Cable internet turned on. I decided to unplug the new modem/router and plug the AT&T router/modem back on and let it boot up. I did that and reconnected to that using my phone. I then ran speed tests in EVERY room in the house including the basement and sure enough, it was 100% consistent just like I remember it to be no matter where I was (always testing at 18-20 megs, just like the plan I have through them).

Keep mind, with the new cable internet, I HAVE tested with my laptop HARDWIRED via Ethernet cable directly into the new modem, and that HAS consistently tested at about 60 mbps. WOW has since also confirmed that the incoming speed of the signal is what it should be. They of course will not help me troubleshoot the modem, because it is not theirs.

But here I have two modems, both made by Arris. One sends out the wifi from the AT&T internet service at very consistent speeds throughout the house (and always has) and the other sends out the wifi from the WOW Cable Internet service at extremely inconsistent speeds.

At this point I have had Arris help me troubleshoot, but no one there has given me a definitive answer.

The last guy I spoke to said he believed the AT&T modem had a larger and more powerful antenna, which he referred to as being measured by something called "MIMO". But when I googled both units, I discovered that BOTH modems have 802.11 b/g/h wifi, which apparently IS the MIMO. So what that guy said is not true.

At this point, I don't know what to think and I certainly don't want to stick with this the way it is, because my speeds in the basement where we like to watch alot of streaming stuff, are not acceptable given the speed constantly dips below 10 and 5.

I am half tempted just to call up WOW and tell them I want to rent their modem, because maybe it will work better and also if there ARE issues, they will at least help me troubleshoot it.

Any ideas or feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by SteveS78; 09-24-2016 at 08:28 PM.
SteveS78 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 09-26-2016, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bump. Can I get some help here?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
SteveS78 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 71
First off I would suggest not using a combined modem and router/wifi device which is what all isp's use. I would suggest use a separate modem and buy a separate router with wifi. This way you will have more control over what you do without the limitations you get in the combined products.

The modem seems ok since you are getting the proper speeds from the wired connection to the laptop. I would add something like a Netgear R7000 router to it which is a top rated router (check the reviews) and has the best range available. It is an AC based router which is the most current wifi standard.

Ideally you would want to turn off the wifi functions in the existing usint you have and put into bridge mode which means it just acts like a modem. If you cant do that thats ok. The R7000 is designed to detect existing isp provided gear and can be configured easily with that.

Going this route you can change your isp service whenever you want without changing your home network and wifi coverage.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor
bobsilver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 09-27-2016, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post
First off I would suggest not using a combined modem and router/wifi device which is what all isp's use. I would suggest use a separate modem and buy a separate router with wifi. This way you will have more control over what you do without the limitations you get in the combined products.

The modem seems ok since you are getting the proper speeds from the wired connection to the laptop. I would add something like a Netgear R7000 router to it which is a top rated router (check the reviews) and has the best range available. It is an AC based router which is the most current wifi standard.

Ideally you would want to turn off the wifi functions in the existing usint you have and put into bridge mode which means it just acts like a modem. If you cant do that thats ok. The R7000 is designed to detect existing isp provided gear and can be configured easily with that.

Going this route you can change your isp service whenever you want without changing your home network and wifi coverage.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Advisor
Again, the wifi in my home from the AT&T internet service is through an old router/modem combo unit that I rent from AT&T, and that works just fine.

That cannot be the issue...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
SteveS78 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post
Again, the wifi in my home from the AT&T internet service is through an old router/modem combo unit that I rent from AT&T, and that works just fine.

That cannot be the issue...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Sorry I missed that. What router / wifi device are you using then?
bobsilver is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 09-27-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post
Again, the wifi in my home from the AT&T internet service is through an old router/modem combo unit that I rent from AT&T, and that works just fine.

That cannot be the issue...

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I'm not sure how this reply negates anything Bob said above... if you're consistently getting 60 mbps when hard-wired to the WOW-connected router, and consistently getting 18 mbps EVERYWHERE when connected wirelessly to the AT&T router, but NOT getting 60 mbps (or even 18 mbps, for that matter) everywhere, or even most places, when connected via WiFi to the WOW-connected router, then I would think either:

1) The router that is connected to your AT&T service is broadcasting on a more optimal channel, relative to your neighbors, than your WOW-connected router is (less interference). Download an app like WiFi Analyzer (or similar) and see for yourself what channels are in heavy use around you. And make sure you aren't testing the AT&T-connected router with the WOW-router turned off, but then testing the WOW-router while also having the AT&T router on and broadcasting... if they're both on the same channel, they're going to interfere with each other, and reduce each other's performance. Only have one router powered on at a time.

2) The physical hardware, the "router", that is broadcasting your AT&T signal is simply better, and providing a stronger signal for your devices to connect to, than the new router you bought and connected to your WOW service.



A lot of people around here use Motorola SB-6141 modems and Netgear Nighthawk R7000 routers. That's a very popular combo. I use it myself, with overwhelmingly positive results.
psuKinger is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 09-27-2016, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I'm not sure how this reply negates anything Bob said above... if you're consistently getting 60 mbps when hard-wired to the WOW-connected router, and consistently getting 18 mbps EVERYWHERE when connected wirelessly to the AT&T router, but NOT getting 60 mbps (or even 18 mbps, for that matter) everywhere, or even most places, when connected via WiFi to the WOW-connected router, then I would think either:

1) The router that is connected to your AT&T service is broadcasting on a more optimal channel, relative to your neighbors, than your WOW-connected router is (less interference). Download an app like WiFi Analyzer (or similar) and see for yourself what channels are in heavy use around you. And make sure you aren't testing the AT&T-connected router with the WOW-router turned off, but then testing the WOW-router while also having the AT&T router on and broadcasting... if they're both on the same channel, they're going to interfere with each other, and reduce each other's performance. Only have one router powered on at a time.

2) The physical hardware, the "router", that is broadcasting your AT&T signal is simply better, and providing a stronger signal for your devices to connect to, than the new router you bought and connected to your WOW service.



A lot of people around here use Motorola SB-6141 modems and Netgear Nighthawk R7000 routers. That's a very popular combo. I use it myself, with overwhelmingly positive results.
To clarify the AT&T Connected router gets a CONSISTENT 18 mbps via WIFI, not just connected via hardwire.

Also, I have already tested ALL channels with the WOW connected router and none of them work great. Many channels are absolute crap no matter where you are in the house and the rest are decent in some rooms but mostly inconsistent no matter where you are constantly dropping from a higher number of megs to like under 5 megs at the drop of a hat.

Also, in terms of the two routers I have, I have both model numbers in my original post above. So you can google both and I don't think there is much of a difference in terms of wifi capability just based on written specs I saw online for them.

And lastly, I do know which channel the AT&T router is on, but I have never had to change it because it has always been so reliable. And to do all of my testing the last few days, I have always tested each one with the other one completely unplugged and powered off so as to not cause any interference.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited by SteveS78; 09-27-2016 at 12:40 PM.
SteveS78 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 09-27-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post
To clarify the AT&T Connected router gets a CONSISTENT 18 mbps via WIFI, not just connected via hardwire.

Also, I have already tested ALL channels with the WOW connected router and none of them work great. Many channels are absolute crap no matter where you are in the house and the rest are decent in some rooms but mostly inconsistent no matter where you are constantly dropping from a higher number of megs to like under 5 megs at the drop of a hat.

Also, in terms of the two routers I have, I have both model numbers in my original post above. So you can google both and I don't think there is much of a difference in terms of wifi capability just based on written specs I saw online for them.

And lastly, I do know which channel the AT&T router is on, but I have never had to change it because it has always been so reliable. And to do all of my testing the last few days, I have always tested each one with the other one completely unplugged and powered off so as to not cause any interference.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
But:

1) Are they broadcasting, side-by-side, simultaneously? Or are you powering one off to test the other?

2) Are you testing 2.4 GHz band on the one and 5.0 GHz band on the other? Is this an apples-to-apples comparison?

performance o
If you're only operating them one-at-a-time, they both work the way they should over ethernet (meaning the ISP isn't to blame), and you're comparing apples-to-apples 2.4 GHz performance to 2.4 GHz performance (or 5.0 GHz to 5.0 GHz), I'm not sure how you can conclude anything OTHER THAN the router you were renting from AT&T is clearly outperforming the router that you purchased and then connected to your new WOW service....
psuKinger is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 09-27-2016, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
But:

1) Are they broadcasting, side-by-side, simultaneously? Or are you powering one off to test the other?

2) Are you testing 2.4 GHz band on the one and 5.0 GHz band on the other? Is this an apples-to-apples comparison?

performance o
If you're only operating them one-at-a-time, they both work the way they should over ethernet (meaning the ISP isn't to blame), and you're comparing apples-to-apples 2.4 GHz performance to 2.4 GHz performance (or 5.0 GHz to 5.0 GHz), I'm not sure how you can conclude anything OTHER THAN the router you were renting from AT&T is clearly outperforming the router that you purchased and then connected to your new WOW service....
1. As stated in my previous post, whenever I have tested one of them over the past few days, I have turned the other one off completely. Have never had them running concurrently because I thought it would cause interference and slow one down, etc.

2. The AT&T modem/router is only 2.4 (just has one band I believe) and the new one I am using for the WOW service, has both a 2.4 and a 5.0 band, but you can't use both bands concurrently on it, so it has to be one or the other at any given time. Also a number of our devices can't connect to a 5.0 band, so I haven't really bothered. I did test 5.0 just briefly on one of the devices that would connect to it and it was not better.

In conclusion, I hear what you are saying in your final paragraph, but the results are the results. One modem is fine and has always been consistent in delivering the speed I was paying for via wifi. The other one has never been consistent no matter which channel I am on (even the same channel that the AT&T unit has been on for the last two years) and drops to under 5 megs randomly and frequently even though the modem is being fed 60 by the provider as it should be.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
SteveS78 is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 09-28-2016, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post

In conclusion, I hear what you are saying in your final paragraph, but the results are the results. One modem is fine and has always been consistent in delivering the speed I was paying for via wifi. The other one has never been consistent no matter which channel I am on (even the same channel that the AT&T unit has been on for the last two years) and drops to under 5 megs randomly and frequently even though the modem is being fed 60 by the provider as it should be.
Yes, 1000% yes, "the results are the results". Based on the feedback you provided, I believe there are only 2 solutions for improving the wireless performance of your WOW router:

1) wait/hope/pray for the manufacturer to release a firmware update that fixes some sort of "known glitch" that is hindering your wifi performance.

2) buy a new router.


As bob recommended above, router-modem combo units generally are not recommended around here, for the same reason tv-vcr combos weren't recommended 20 years ago... something like a netgear nighthawk r7000 would probably instantly fix your WOW service range problems, but it's not the cheapest route to take...
psuKinger is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 09-28-2016, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Yes, 1000% yes, "the results are the results". Based on the feedback you provided, I believe there are only 2 solutions for improving the wireless performance of your WOW router:

1) wait/hope/pray for the manufacturer to release a firmware update that fixes some sort of "known glitch" that is hindering your wifi performance.

2) buy a new router.


As bob recommended above, router-modem combo units generally are not recommended around here, for the same reason tv-vcr combos weren't recommended 20 years ago... something like a netgear nighthawk r7000 would probably instantly fix your WOW service range problems, but it's not the cheapest route to take...
Then explain how my AT&T modem/router combo unit, that I believe has the exact same wifi specs as the one I am using with WOW, works fine?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
SteveS78 is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 09-28-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post
Then explain how my AT&T modem/router combo unit, that I believe has the exact same wifi specs as the one I am using with WOW, works fine?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
First explain to me what else it could be....

If you're truly motivated, hook the router that you purchased up to your AT&T service and see what happens... my prediction, based on your input, is that the AT&T service will suddenly underperform similar to your WOW service is right now.


If the service works over hardwire, then the ISP is fulfilling their end of the bargain. Your problem is the wireless connection, not the service...
psuKinger is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 09-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Member
 
41532's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
If you're truly motivated, hook the router that you purchased up to your AT&T service and see what happens...
This may not work in his situation if the modems need to be provisioned.

Regarding the comparison, I can't actually find any specifics relating to the SBG6580. For example, i wanted to compare the radio of the NVG589 which is 400mW.

But another thing to understand is that you are comparing a retail product to an ISP product. Even if they were the same exact make and model of device, they are still going to have different firmware on them. You can experiment with seeing if different firmware versions for the SBG6580 make the wireless work any better. Be aware that unless you are "expert level" to stay away from any custom or open source firmwares, as they tend to open up and show all settings a router has and will be very confusing.

41532
AACD
41532 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ok, I bit the bullet and went ahead returned the Arris router/modem combo. I then purchased both a router and modem (separate units) that are Netgear brand. The router is the Netgear AC1750, which has 3 antennas. It runs two bands concurrently (5G and 2.4G). The 5G, which most of our devices do connect to, runs insanely fast everywhere in the house. Only thing I am trying to get worked out is getting the 2.4 band with faster speeds. The speeds for the 2.4 are still alot better than the other unit I had, but they still dip down to 30-40 megs (as opposed to over 70 I am getting on the 5G band). Anyone have any suggestions on how to maybe increase my 2.4 speeds?

Also, I did notice the signal STRENGTH on the 5G is not as strong throughout the house as the 2.4 band even though the speeds are way faster. Is there any way to improve the signal STRENGTH (not the speeds) for the 5G band?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
SteveS78 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post
Ok, I bit the bullet and went ahead returned the Arris router/modem combo. I then purchased both a router and modem (separate units) that are Netgear brand. The router is the Netgear AC1750, which has 3 antennas. It runs two bands concurrently (5G and 2.4G). The 5G, which most of our devices do connect to, runs insanely fast everywhere in the house. Only thing I am trying to get worked out is getting the 2.4 band with faster speeds. The speeds for the 2.4 are still alot better than the other unit I had, but they still dip down to 30-40 megs (as opposed to over 70 I am getting on the 5G band). Anyone have any suggestions on how to maybe increase my 2.4 speeds?

Also, I did notice the signal STRENGTH on the 5G is not as strong throughout the house as the 2.4 band even though the speeds are way faster. Is there any way to improve the signal STRENGTH (not the speeds) for the 5G band?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Your experience is to-be-expected, IMO.

1) I believe a 2.4 GHz signal has inherent advantages over a 5 GHz signal, in terms of it's ability to travel longer distances. This is a laws-of-physics type of thing. Lower frequencies are more efficient over longer distances.

2) The 5 GHz band will be faster than the 2.4 GHz band, because new WiFi standards (such as AC) won't work on 2.4 GHz. I think this has nothing to do with laws-of-physics limitations, and everything to do with simply that when WiFi standards were developed for 2.4 GHz, the internet simply wasn't as prevalent/developed, and as a result they didn't "standardize" as many distinct/unique "Channels", and now when everyone-and-their-mother has WiFi, and we all live so close to each other (suburban communities, townhomes, apartments, etc) and we're all broadcasting this 2.4 GHz signal, their simply are not enough channels available to "get away from each other" and not interfere.
The 5.0 GHz band has been standardized with a lot more channels available... so there's more room for all of us to be using it and not interfering with one another. Going forward, new WiFi standards, like the newest one (AC), aren't even developed for 2.4 GHz. I believe this is why...


It's purely coincidence that your internet speed happens to be approximately the "max speed" that I personally can get, over 2.4 GHz, with any of my dual-band capable devices. So when you run tests, you wouldn't necessarily be able to see what I"m about to share (and this is just my own personal experiences; YMMV). As someone that has 155 mbps internet from Comcast, on the 5 GHz band I can routinely test 165-172ish on my smarphone when standing right next to the router (because when I'm using the 5 GHz band my phone is using Wireless AC, which doesn't work over 2.4 GHz)... and when I switch over to 2.4 GHz, and stand at the same spot, I usually pull something like 60-65 mbps. And with a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 I can pretty much pull that 160ish mbps in almost every corner of my home on 5 GHz (because the R7000 has excellent range). But if I head out into the back yard and walk away from my home, the speed on both bands begins to reduce... eventually, there is a break-even point where my 2.4 GHz speed and my 5 GHz speed intersect... going beyond that break even point, my 2.4 GHz band begins to outperform my 5 GHz band on speed.

If I am sitting in my next door neighbor's living room, or in my across-the-street neighbor's driveway (for what we call "driveway beers"), I can usually pull 10-12 mbps on 2.4 GHz... and I can't get/hold a connection to even run a test on 5 GHz.


TL;DR - 2.4 GHz has better range. 5.0 GHz has better top-end speed. Your router is now functioning as expected. Glad it's working better for you!
psuKinger is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
Your experience is to-be-expected, IMO.

1) I believe a 2.4 GHz signal has inherent advantages over a 5 GHz signal, in terms of it's ability to travel longer distances. This is a laws-of-physics type of thing. Lower frequencies are more efficient over longer distances.

2) The 5 GHz band will be faster than the 2.4 GHz band, because new WiFi standards (such as AC) won't work on 2.4 GHz. I think this has nothing to do with laws-of-physics limitations, and everything to do with simply that when WiFi standards were developed for 2.4 GHz, the internet simply wasn't as prevalent/developed, and as a result they didn't "standardize" as many distinct/unique "Channels", and now when everyone-and-their-mother has WiFi, and we all live so close to each other (suburban communities, townhomes, apartments, etc) and we're all broadcasting this 2.4 GHz signal, their simply are not enough channels available to "get away from each other" and not interfere.
The 5.0 GHz band has been standardized with a lot more channels available... so there's more room for all of us to be using it and not interfering with one another. Going forward, new WiFi standards, like the newest one (AC), aren't even developed for 2.4 GHz. I believe this is why...


It's purely coincidence that your internet speed happens to be approximately the "max speed" that I personally can get, over 2.4 GHz, with any of my dual-band capable devices. So when you run tests, you wouldn't necessarily be able to see what I"m about to share (and this is just my own personal experiences; YMMV). As someone that has 155 mbps internet from Comcast, on the 5 GHz band I can routinely test 165-172ish on my smarphone when standing right next to the router (because when I'm using the 5 GHz band my phone is using Wireless AC, which doesn't work over 2.4 GHz)... and when I switch over to 2.4 GHz, and stand at the same spot, I usually pull something like 60-65 mbps. And with a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 I can pretty much pull that 160ish mbps in almost every corner of my home on 5 GHz (because the R7000 has excellent range). But if I head out into the back yard and walk away from my home, the speed on both bands begins to reduce... eventually, there is a break-even point where my 2.4 GHz speed and my 5 GHz speed intersect... going beyond that break even point, my 2.4 GHz band begins to outperform my 5 GHz band on speed.

If I am sitting in my next door neighbor's living room, or in my across-the-street neighbor's driveway (for what we call "driveway beers"), I can usually pull 10-12 mbps on 2.4 GHz... and I can't get/hold a connection to even run a test on 5 GHz.


TL;DR - 2.4 GHz has better range. 5.0 GHz has better top-end speed. Your router is now functioning as expected. Glad it's working better for you!
Thanks for the info.

Did you say that you are able to pull the same speed on the 5G band (165 meg+) anywhere in your house? Just like I am with my lower speed plan through WOW, since last night I was pulling over 70 megs (I have the 60 meg plan thru WOW) everywhere in the house on my 5G network.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
SteveS78 is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post
Thanks for the info.

Did you say that you are able to pull the same speed on the 5G band (165 meg+) anywhere in your house? Just like I am with my lower speed plan through WOW, since last night I was pulling over 70 megs (I have the 60 meg plan thru WOW) everywhere in the house on my 5G network.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Yes. Almost. My son's bedroom (top left corner) is spotty on the 5 GHz... but in every other room in the house, I test "full speed" (usually between 165-172) over 5 GHz every time I run a test.

But I have a fairly large house, and a non-optimal installation of my router (I'm under the impression that routers broadcast vertically downward, from top floors to basements, better than they broadcast vertically upwards from basements to top-floor bedrooms), but when my router is near-flawless on coverage with a very convenient place to put my router (basement storage room), I don't feel a need to tinker with it...
psuKinger is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Luckily my Roku is able to connect to the 5G band, which is awesome. Thinking about getting another Roku for another room. Which versions of the Roku will connect to 5G? Do all Roku's? Or only the more recent versions?

Also, considering the Roku is connected to the 5G network, I would assume those units do a good job of picking up the full 60-70 meg speeds that the router is outputting?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
SteveS78 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
psuKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,614
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS78 View Post
Luckily my Roku is able to connect to the 5G band, which is awesome. Thinking about getting another Roku for another room. Which versions of the Roku will connect to 5G? Do all Roku's? Or only the more recent versions?

Also, considering the Roku is connected to the 5G network, I would assume those units do a good job of picking up the full 60-70 meg speeds that the router is outputting?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
In my experiences, streaming video from online services (like Netflix) that use newer/modern compression like H.264 and don't include any sort of lossless HD audio work quite well over wifi, and 60-70 mbps will be more than sufficient.

Pushing full uncompressed (beyond what the cable provider already did) MPEG-2 broadcast television... much less bit-for-bit lossless Blu-Ray RIPs, is spotty over WiFi, and the problem doesn't have anything to do with "not having enough bandwidth", so no amount of speed, not even 150 mbps changes that for me...

I've got 4 gigabit ethernet switches in service in my house, FWIW.
SteveS78 likes this.

Last edited by psuKinger; 09-30-2016 at 10:09 AM.
psuKinger is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
In my experiences, streaming video from online services (like Netflix) that use newer/modern compression like H.264 and don't include any sort of lossless HD audio work quite well over wifi, and 60-70 mbps will be more than sufficient.

Pushing full uncompressed (beyond what the cable provider already did) MPEG-2 broadcast television... much less bit-for-bit lossless Blu-Ray RIPs, is spotty over WiFi, and the problem doesn't have anything to do with "not having enough bandwidth", so no amount of speed, not even 150 mbps changes that for me...

I've got 4 gigabit ethernet switches in service in my house, FWIW.
Can all Roku's connect to 5G network or just certain models?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
SteveS78 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off