45Likes

post #271 of 323 Old 06-29-2018, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
I dont know If it would help but you can get a hdcp 1.4 to 2.2 converter from monoprice for $30, that why your projector would appear as 2.2 to the receiver and everything in the chain.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15242
Thanks, but I was hoping not to have to buy extra equipment to fix something that the update broke. It doesn't even read my (NTFS) flash drives any more, whereas before it would read them fine. What a mistake the update was. I don't even see any real benefits apart from the fix of the bug where it would get stuck on HDR (not a big deal), and a bit of a nicer interface.

So there's no way of going back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 323 Old 06-30-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
not me .. i'm out.. they , even with the update can't get audio to work properly.. at least in the hbo app.. back to either roku or fire goes i

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #273 of 323 Old 06-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronaut View Post
Thanks, but I was hoping not to have to buy extra equipment to fix something that the update broke. It doesn't even read my (NTFS) flash drives any more, whereas before it would read them fine. What a mistake the update was. I don't even see any real benefits apart from the fix of the bug where it would get stuck on HDR (not a big deal), and a bit of a nicer interface.

So there's no way of going back?

Maybe this would help? He has a link to an older firmware posted below the video:
Pyronaut likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 323 Old 07-01-2018, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
not me .. i'm out.. they , even with the update can't get audio to work properly.. at least in the hbo app.. back to either roku or fire goes i
Yup. I'm out, too. In fact: Whereas I had intended to keep both of the MiBox 3's I have, I'm now thinking about returning the 2nd one I bought and replacing it with a Amazon Fire TV.

I'm pretty disappointed in Xiaomi. They're unlikely to see future business from me, either way.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #275 of 323 Old 07-01-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Yup. I'm out, too. In fact: Whereas I had intended to keep both of the MiBox 3's I have, I'm now thinking about returning the 2nd one I bought and replacing it with a Amazon Fire TV.

I'm pretty disappointed in Xiaomi. They're unlikely to see future business from me, either way.
too many "little " problems for me.. all sorts of audio cut outs(on several apps, but mainly hbo).. stuttering video on youtube.. it's one great asset is easy access to to any youtube vid but stuttering on some vid and audio cutouts negate it.. if kodi & netflix is all you need it's an option , but imo that's even iffy.. but since i have it , i'll play with it occasionally , hoping for improvements.. but my firestick (both of them)at $39 is clearly a better product for everything but youtube...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #276 of 323 Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I ordered a mi box. All i need it for is Atmos bitstreaming and 4k HDR in Kodi and i think this ticks that box at a cheap price .
Lp85253 likes this.
post #277 of 323 Old 07-17-2018, 07:24 PM

Just got an update for this unit. It fixed the issues with NTFS drives and the HDCP 2.2 error, but still no sound with AAC 5.1 files in Kodi.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #278 of 323 Old 07-19-2018, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought the Mi Box when it was released, HBO Now and the Showtime Anytime apps never worked, an error would pop up every time I tried to play any video. After Oreo was installed Showtime started working but HBO did not, to my surprise, the HBO app updated the other day and now it works perfectly.
post #279 of 323 Old 07-19-2018, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter67 View Post
I bought the Mi Box when it was released, HBO Now and the Showtime Anytime apps never worked, an error would pop up every time I tried to play any video. After Oreo was installed Showtime started working but HBO did not, to my surprise, the HBO app updated the other day and now it works perfectly.
HBO Go is working now too.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #280 of 323 Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I haven't really used my MiBox in a while. I had so many problems with it that I ended up buying a 4K FireTV dongle for my bedroom. I still occasionally check to see if it ever gets an update and surprisingly it looks like they have an 8.0 update for it. Does this help fix a lot of the problems with this box or is it just pretty much junk? I'd like to have consistent UIs between TVs but buying Shield's for everything is a bit more than I'd like to spend.
post #281 of 323 Old 07-21-2018, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I wish we had a release date.

I haven't given-up quite yet on Xiaomi.
post #282 of 323 Old 07-22-2018, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx Jeffer View Post
Does this help fix a lot of the problems with this box or is it just pretty much junk?
Yes.
post #283 of 323 Old 07-22-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx Jeffer View Post
I haven't really used my MiBox in a while. I had so many problems with it that I ended up buying a 4K FireTV dongle for my bedroom. I still occasionally check to see if it ever gets an update and surprisingly it looks like they have an 8.0 update for it. Does this help fix a lot of the problems with this box or is it just pretty much junk? I'd like to have consistent UIs between TVs but buying Shield's for everything is a bit more than I'd like to spend.
It fixed some things but broke some others. The subsequent update after that fixed a bunch of the broken things, so it looks like they're still supporting it, but aren't quite there yet. I haven't given up on them, but just a bit annoyed with them for breaking such fundamental things. Not sure what their QA team was doing but they really dropped the ball with the Oreo update when such popular apps had issues. Anyway, as I mentioned, it looks like the problems are being fixed so I'd give it another shot.
post #284 of 323 Old 08-13-2018, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyway, as I mentioned, it looks like the problems are being fixed so I'd give it another shot.
I wouldn't. I won't. I decided to keep that 2nd MiBox, after all, but I probably should not have. Beta for the 2nd update was released on July 12, now over a month ago, and that's the last anybody's seen or heard of Xiaomi's intentions to fix the Oreo disaster.
post #285 of 323 Old 08-31-2018, 04:34 PM

I figured out my only remaining problem with the box. It looks like it was an odd Kodi configuration error. I set the speaker output to 2.0 (even though I have 5.4.1) and it then gave me the option to transcode AAC, so I have 5.1 AAC audio decoding now.
Currently I can say that I'm happy with the box. No more issues with Oreo.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #286 of 323 Old 09-03-2018, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Xiomi managed to break the latest firmware.
Wifi connection disconnects from router, which is essential for this box.
Other forums trying to come up with a fix.

Anyone with a working firmware?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #287 of 323 Old 09-03-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post
Anyone with a working firmware?
Wifi is working perfectly on mine.

I don't know what you consider to be the firmware but I have:

Version

Android Security Patch Level
May 5, 2018

Kernel

Build
OPR6.170623.013.2174
Pyronaut likes this.
post #288 of 323 Old 09-03-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is an article about the new planned fixed firmware:

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaom...eta-re-opened/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #289 of 323 Old 09-06-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post
Here is an article about the new planned fixed firmware:

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaom...eta-re-opened/
That as about the initial Oreo release that broke a lot of things, but the subsequent update fixed most of them - at least for me anyway.
I also don't have any issues with Wifi.
post #290 of 323 Old 09-13-2018, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That as about the initial Oreo release that broke a lot of things, but the subsequent update fixed most of them - at least for me anyway.
The subsequent update fixed only a very small handful of them.

Quote:
I also don't have any issues with Wifi.
Neither do I, but plenty of people do.

They released an update on Monday (Sep. 10). I would not recommend installing it. From the reports in Build 2303 - Bug Feedback, it'll do as much harm as good.

I've disabled Google Play Services on our two MiBox 3's. I've got working MiBox 3's. I'd like to keep them that way.
post #291 of 323 Old 09-22-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The latest with my MiBox - Its dead!

The front light is on and it seems as it responds to the remote, but no picture at all.
I've done some research on this "new" issue and there are people experiencing the same thing. It appears that the auto resolution is not working and thus no picture when plugged in.

My last hope is to plug it to a splitter and this "might" get the resolution going again... I'll let all know.

As of now is DEAD.

post #292 of 323 Old 10-05-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I believe I exhausted all the recommended fixes. My box will not auto switch resolution and does not pass video.
I'll will try to get a replacement directly from Xiome. I know this might go nowhere... we'll see.

post #293 of 323 Old 10-17-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I though that the following may be of interest for those that have, either major problems with their boxes or a non functional box.

I contacted Xiomi by email thru their US technical support.
I explained that after their latest update the box had no video.
I took a few days for them to response and they asked for additional explanation and pictures. I send them the pictures and links to forums of what other users had done to fix the box.
After a few days from the second email I got a response from the US technical department that they had approved to replace my box.
A few days ago I received a Fedex label and an approval letter with instructions on how to send the box back to them. The letter stated that once they receive the box a replacement will follow.

I'll let you all know when I get the box and what the status and usability is on the "new" box.

post #294 of 323 Old 10-30-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

To update on what's happened - I got via USPS a a brand new, in a seal original box a MiBox 3 fro Xiomi Forth Worth, Texas.

The firmware is marshmallow 6.0.1 MHC19J 595, Android security patch level June 1, 2016.
The box will stay with this firmware and will not be upgraded at all.

It seems to be functioning correctly, If I encounter anything new I'll report back.

For now Kudos to Xiaomi for their response to this matter. You have a happy customer!

post #295 of 323 Old 10-31-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And the saga continues...
I set up the box at my office so I can test it. Went to the initial setup with no problem, everything worked great.
Took it home, plugged it in, get to connect to my router... and it would give me a "invalid password". Well know issue. I tried all the recommendations available and nothing.

My next option would be to update the firmware... but which one, certainty not 8.

Any recommendations?

post #296 of 323 Old 12-09-2018, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone have updated experience with the Mi Box S currently on sale @ Walmart (on line) for $39.99 plus tax?
Unit shows to have wired RJ-45 Internet connectivity--unlike units previously discussed on this forum.
I am relatively new to this forum with little experience with Dolby Digital audio and other similar advancements.
post #297 of 323 Old 12-09-2018, 04:51 PM

Disregard comment on RJ-45. Apparently the 'International' version has built in wired connectivity. Sorry.
post #298 of 323 Old 12-10-2018, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbeavers View Post
Anyone have updated experience with the Mi Box S currently on sale @ Walmart (on line) for $39.99 plus tax?
Unit shows to have wired RJ-45 Internet connectivity--unlike units previously discussed on this forum.
I am relatively new to this forum with little experience with Dolby Digital audio and other similar advancements.
Here is a review. Looks like it's not yet ready for primetime, and needs work. That's why the drastic price drops:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/xiaomi-...view-5985.html
post #299 of 323 Old 12-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 71
That review was paid to make this box look bad.

I haven't read a review that biased against something in a long time.
post #300 of 323 Old 12-10-2018, 03:26 PM

There is another review with a notably better opinion of the box.
I cannot yet post links, but one can easily find the review at androidpctv dot com. Look for 'review-xiaomi-mi-box-s'

Will be interesting to see how the current version of the box performs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page