post #302 of 322 Old 12-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabre View Post
That review was paid to make this box look bad.
Why would anybody pay somebody to write a bad review for a cheap Chinese Android streaming box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabre View Post
I haven't read a review that biased against something in a long time.
It essentially mirrors the comments I've seen by users pretty much everywhere I've seen the box discussed.

After my experiences with MiBox 3's, I wouldn't have another Xiaomi product on a bet. I have one Xiaomi's had back for two weeks as of tomorrow. Haven't heard a word. The other one semi-bricked itself for the second time day-before-yesterday--which I again rescued from oblivion. If it does it again, it, too, will go back to Xiaomi.

They're a neat, though somewhat under-powered bit of hardware. They'd probably be an "ok" box were Xiaomi's code not utter garbage. And Android TV is, well, pretty much typical of Alphabet/Google.
Primestar31 likes this.
post #303 of 322 Old 12-11-2018, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Mibox works better and smoother for 50 bucks 5hen any other Android Chinese **** box filled with crap and ridiculous interfaces..

People are expecting Nvidia shield performance and features for fraction of price.

Lets get real here.

And btw, I find that mibox actually has better image quality then shield.

Comments about remote r just plain dumb

Speed wise it's snappy same as shield

I mean, I don't care, but what's to much is to much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 322 Old 12-24-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I just bought the Mix Box S and am trying to get it set up to read off a HDD. Mostly using this to play DVD isos of workouts and FLAC music files.

I tried using VLC, Kodi and Plex. VLC does a terrible job with video. Plex doesn't seem much better. Kodi seems to work best, but I'm trying to find out the best HDD to use. I hooked up an older 3.5" HDD with an older USB connection (powered). Works OK, but music doesn't seem to load right away, so I get a quick audio cutoff before it starts playing. I tried a 2.5" HDD (Non powered) that seems stutter horribly playing a 480p video.

I'm thinking about trying a SSD next, but I don't want to waste money if that isn't going to help. Any suggestions?
post #305 of 322 Old 01-02-2019, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anyone tested he audio pass through via KODI?
post #306 of 322 Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadergr View Post
Anyone tested he audio pass through via KODI?
Works fine for me with AAC, AC3, Atmos etc. Just make sure to set your audio config to stereo if you want it to pass AAC 5.1 through as AC3.
post #307 of 322 Old 01-08-2019, 06:08 AM

Anyone who knows what the "live" button is for on the remote of the Mi Box S version?
post #308 of 322 Old 01-08-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2160 Post(s)
Liked: 2326
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadergr View Post
Anyone who knows what the "live" button is for on the remote of the Mi Box S version?
It probably launches the Live Channels app. If you don't have the Live Channels app try installing the Haystack TV or Pluto TV apps. When you install either of those it should automatically install the Live Channels app as well.
post #309 of 322 Old 01-23-2019, 06:51 AM

Xiaomi Mi Box S review. This one focuses a little more on performance as a media player (for local streaming).
post #310 of 322 Old 04-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronaut View Post
Works fine for me with AAC, AC3, Atmos etc. Just make sure to set your audio config to stereo if you want it to pass AAC 5.1 through as AC3.
Finally updated the HT to a proper Atmos system 5.1.4 and of course went on the search for a proper media player. Was on the fence about picking up the Shield and decided to move the MyBox 3 (non-S) from the bedroom into the HT to experiment.

Pleasantly surprised that it does everything I need from a sound perspective via Kodi. Full ATMOS from Bluray RIPs. This was surprising since I've seen reviews that cited no Atmos support due to SoC hardware limitations. I was able to confirm that I did get proper ATMOS by connecting it to my Denox X4500 which is able to read the signal source. It confirms proper ATMOS on all channels. Performance wise it kept up with very intense action scenes with full Atmos blaring. I did connect an ethernet instead of the built-in WiFI since some of the rips were 50-70GBs.

Doesn't do:

Amazon or Netflix Atmos, but because it does Atmos fine on the rips.. I assume it's app related. I think I found a Shield alternative since I mainly stream and have no gaming needs. I may go Shield or xbox if I Atmos streaming content increases across Netflix and Amazon unless we get an app update (unlikely =)

Wanted to share for others that may benefit. =)

Last edited by niveknow; 04-04-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #311 of 322 Old 04-04-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niveknow View Post
Finally updated the HT to a proper Atmos system 5.1.4 and of course went on the search for a proper media player. Was on the fence about picking up the Shield and decided to move the MyBox 3 (non-S) from the bedroom into the HT to experiment.

Pleasantly surprised that it does everything I need from a sound perspective via Kodi. Full ATMOS from Bluray RIPs. This was surprising since I've seen reviews that cited no Atmos support due to SoC hardware limitations. I was able to confirm that I did get proper ATMOS by connecting it to my Denox X4500 which is able to read the signal source. It confirms proper ATMOS on all channels. Performance wise it kept up with very intense action scenes with full Atmos blaring. I did connect an ethernet instead of the built-in WiFI since some of the rips were 50-70GBs.

Doesn't do:

Amazon or Netflix Atmos, but because it does Atmos fine on the rips.. I assume it's app related. I think I found a Shield alternative since I mainly stream and have no gaming needs. I may go Shield or xbox if I Atmos streaming content increases across Netflix and Amazon unless we get an app update (unlikely =)

Wanted to share for others that may benefit. =)
You won't get Netflix Atmos on the Shield, but Amazon Atmos will work (only if you have it connected to a 4k TV). It's a shame that you have to use a USB adaptor to get Ethernet on the MiBox. They should have added built in Ethernet on the S revision, but they didn't, so the Shield still has that advantage over the MiBox (as well as built in Amazon Prime and various other things).
post #312 of 322 Old 04-04-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You won't get Netflix Atmos on the Shield, but Amazon Atmos will work (only if you have it connected to a 4k TV). It's a shame that you have to use a USB adaptor to get Ethernet on the MiBox. They should have added built in Ethernet on the S revision, but they didn't, so the Shield still has that advantage over the MiBox (as well as built in Amazon Prime and various other things).
No doubt Shield has advantages...and 3x more expensive =)

I thought you could get Atmos on Netflix with Shield. I guess I mixed it up with XBOX One which I know does since I considered buying it just to get Atmos Netflix until I reasoned myself out of it based on the amount of content on Netflix with Atmos. Other advantage was the built in bluray player, but I'm on mission to rip and go disc-free anyways so no advantage there.

Re: the ethernet. For most people the built in AC WiFi should be plenty to keep up with the network demands including any 4k streaming. The ethernet only made sense for me because I wanted to stream full BR Rips and I'm just old school in terms of having a hard wire albeit 100MB and not full gigabit. I bet if were to use just the Wifi without ethernet I would stream just fine. On the serving end, I have nothing more than a SSD drive directly connected to my router as a Samba share. Nothing fancy there.

Maybe I'll test the use case later, but my AC router is within 20 feet of my Mibox thus YMMV.

I'll move to Shield when they release a new version. yes I know hardware wise it's fine, but dang due for a refresh anyways. =)
post #313 of 322 Old 04-04-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I have the Jetstream box from Walmart (pretty sure same SOC as the MiiBox S but with Ethernet and Optical). Performance is fine, including AC WiFi throughput (around 200mbps on 5GHz connected to Luma Mesh, wired PC one-room over is 300-350mbps). Unfortunately, the Optical (the reason I bought it over the MiiBox S) is pretty much useless since it does not transcode DD+ to DD and pretty much all 5.1 streaming content is DD+. The display I have it connected to (50" Hisense H7 4k) has no problem transcoding both DD+ 5.1 and DTS 5.1 to DD 5.1 via its optical output though, so that's a workable solution. Since I'm not using either the Ethernet or Optical, I'm considering picking up a MiiBox S next time there's a sale and moving the Jetstream to the bedroom (to replace an aging but functional Nexus Player) where I can use the wired Ethernet.

One neat bonus I found is that the remote from an old first-gen Amazon Fire Stick pairs and functions 100%, so I keep that remote in my office (which looks out into the living room) and keep the stock remote in the living room for the kids to use. The remote from a 2nd gen Fire TV 4k pairs and works fine was well, except no Mic support.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Ultimate & Hub | AT&T Fiber 300 | SmartThings | Google Home, Hub, Mini, etc

Last edited by Stephen Hopkins; 04-04-2019 at 03:15 PM.
post #314 of 322 Old 04-04-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niveknow View Post
No doubt Shield has advantages...and 3x more expensive =)

I thought you could get Atmos on Netflix with Shield. I guess I mixed it up with XBOX One which I know does since I considered buying it just to get Atmos Netflix until I reasoned myself out of it based on the amount of content on Netflix with Atmos. Other advantage was the built in bluray player, but I'm on mission to rip and go disc-free anyways so no advantage there.

Re: the ethernet. For most people the built in AC WiFi should be plenty to keep up with the network demands including any 4k streaming. The ethernet only made sense for me because I wanted to stream full BR Rips and I'm just old school in terms of having a hard wire albeit 100MB and not full gigabit. I bet if were to use just the Wifi without ethernet I would stream just fine. On the serving end, I have nothing more than a SSD drive directly connected to my router as a Samba share. Nothing fancy there.

Maybe I'll test the use case later, but my AC router is within 20 feet of my Mibox thus YMMV.

I'll move to Shield when they release a new version. yes I know hardware wise it's fine, but dang due for a refresh anyways. =)
Yeah for sure it's more expensive, but I managed to get mine for less than 2x the price of a MiBox during Black Friday. Ethernet is nice for streaming large 4k files over your network. It's much more stable than AC wifi with the MiBox. I used to always have to put 4k files on a USB drive when I used the MiBox (even with it right beside my router). The Shield also has a bunch of other nice touches, like being able to control your receiver's volume with the Shield remote.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the MiBox just fine when I had one, but it had a few little annoyances and lack of stability so I never looked back after upgrading to the Shield.
But for a sub $100 streaming box you can't beat the MiBix and I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted one in that category.
post #315 of 322 Old 04-05-2019, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I created small refresh rate tool for shield some time ago. Now with the newest firmware update its also works for mibox. Perhaps you like it. You can find it on official miui forums when search for 'Refresh Rate tool'.
post #316 of 322 Old 04-05-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah for sure it's more expensive, but I managed to get mine for less than 2x the price of a MiBox during Black Friday. Ethernet is nice for streaming large 4k files over your network. It's much more stable than AC wifi with the MiBox. I used to always have to put 4k files on a USB drive when I used the MiBox (even with it right beside my router). The Shield also has a bunch of other nice touches, like being able to control your receiver's volume with the Shield remote.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the MiBox just fine when I had one, but it had a few little annoyances and lack of stability so I never looked back after upgrading to the Shield.
But for a sub $100 streaming box you can't beat the MiBix and I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted one in that category.
Thanks for sharing. I would have snapped up the Shield for 2x the MiBox price, but my time machine is busted today. lol. The MiBox seems to work fine with the recent Android TV updates thus will let me hobble along until Shield 2.0 comes out. Maybe I can side-load some Shield APKs onto the MiBox to see if I can get the other apps to perform better.

Some things have been bubbling on the rumor mill lately with upgraded remote and controller which hopefully means a new core comes out to.
post #317 of 322 Old 04-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Can you explain please what do you mean by "audio config to stereo"?
I cant get Atmos DTS:X etc from my mi box s and kodi 18...

Thanks!

Last edited by liorreem; 04-06-2019 at 11:24 AM.
post #318 of 322 Old 04-06-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liorreem View Post
Can you explain please what do you mean by "audio config to stereo"?
I cant get Atmos DTS:X etc from my mi box s and kodi 18...

Thanks!
I meant go into the audio settings in Kodi (Settings->System->Audio), and set the number of channels to 2.0. But that's for getting AAC 5.1 to pass as 5.1 AC3. To get DTS:X and Atmos to work you need to "Allow passthrough" on that same screen.
post #319 of 322 Old 04-07-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I meant go into the audio settings in Kodi (Settings->System->Audio), and set the number of channels to 2.0. But that's for getting AAC 5.1 to pass as 5.1 AC3. To get DTS:X and Atmos to work you need to "Allow passthrough" on that same screen.
Thanks, but it didn't help unfortunately. I cant get the "DTS-HD capable" switch.
I tried to play with the MI Box S Sound setup (auto setup and so on) but it didn't help.
I have the filling that maybe it is block by the firmware version.
Maybe it was updated and eliminated th DTS-HD option?
post #320 of 322 Old 04-07-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks, but it didn't help unfortunately. I cant get the "DTS-HD capable" switch.
I tried to play with the MI Box S Sound setup (auto setup and so on) but it didn't help.
I have the filling that maybe it is block by the firmware version.
Maybe it was updated and eliminated th DTS-HD option?
Try checking to make sure "Sync Playback to Display" under player settings is off. That will disable passthrough. Other than that I'm not sure what to tell you. Are you saying passthrough is enabled but just the check to set DTS-HD enabled receiver is disabled and you can't set it on? Are the other passthrough options available to be toggled?
post #321 of 322 Old 04-07-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Try checking to make sure "Sync Playback to Display" under player settings is off. That will disable passthrough. Other than that I'm not sure what to tell you. Are you saying passthrough is enabled but just the check to set DTS-HD enabled receiver is disabled and you can't set it on? Are the other passthrough options available to be toggled?
The DTS-HD Capable and True-HD Capable switches don't exist at all in the MIBOX-S.
in the MIBOX3 they exist.

it's the same kodi version, and same android box sound setup.

See both boxes config pages below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190407_175744.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	794.8 KB
ID:	2550054   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190407_175424.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	727.7 KB
ID:	2550056  
post #322 of 322 Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
Unfortunately, the Optical (the reason I bought it over the MiiBox S) is pretty much useless since it does not transcode DD+ to DD and pretty much all 5.1 streaming content is DD+. The display I have it connected to (50" Hisense H7 4k) has no problem transcoding both DD+ 5.1 and DTS 5.1 to DD 5.1 via its optical output though, so that's a workable solution. Since I'm not using either the Ethernet or Optical, I'm considering picking up a MiiBox S next time there's a sale and moving the Jetstream to the bedroom (to replace an aging but functional Nexus Player) where I can use the wired Ethernet.
The audio output jack on the Mi Box 3 is a hybrid one, serving analog through a P2 connection and digital through miniToslink.

I think it's the same with the Mi Box S.

But it also doesn't convert DD+ to DD.

It's DD, DTS or PCM 2.0 only.

Quote:
The DTS-HD Capable and True-HD Capable switches don't exist at all in the MIBOX-S.
in the MIBOX3 they exist.

it's the same kodi version, and same android box sound setup.
The Mi Box S doesn't support HD audio passthrough. Neither Dolby True HD nor DTS-HD MA.

At least not until the last firmware version (588).

There's nothing that can be done about that right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page