45Likes

post #31 of 323 Old 09-28-2016, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofytek View Post
That could be the case, but the Mi Box has official Google Play store, and Netflix picked up the HD flag and of course the 5.1 audio flag as well. I will run the Netflix test video to confirm if FHD 5600kbits, but i'm pretty sure it was. I'll also check what apps are 'compatible" with the Mi Box's from the play store. I guess until the Mi Box is official announced, it wont be on the Android TV's list of products until then.
What's your verdict about Netflix in HD and surround sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post
What's your verdict about Netflix in HD and surround sound?
There was a system update today for the mi boxes. About a 22mb update. I should had copied the change log but it only listed bug fixes and performance fixes. After the update and a reboot the first thing I tried of course was netflix. Netflix HD and 5.1 sound was detected and I fired up House of Cards. We watch half an episode and it was stutter free and I had a huge sigh of relief. We paused the episode half way in to get some food. I left the box paused but turned off the AVR and TV. When we came back and powered the TV and AVR back on, Netflix encountered and error and I restarted the episode but lost 5.1 sound. I exited Netflix and restarted the app and it 5.1 sound was back but.. the stuttering came back too. We tried to watch through the rest of the episode but the stuttering was very clear. Every 15-20 sec it stutter like first day I got this mi box and before this update. Basically no change. Overheating? Memory or cache bug or something? I don't know why

At this point I basically knew these (I have two of them) will be going back to Walmart the instant I saw the stuttering come back. So...I unboxed a Nvidia Shield TV I just picked up earlier in the day as a backup from BBY and got it setup, updated, signed in and ran into 0 issues with Netflix HD and 5.1 sound. Same internet, same AVR, and TV, flawless. We watched 2ep back to back without a hitch.

I really was hoping that these Mi Boxes would be a great price to performance ratio media box, but if It can't even do Netflix HD and with 5.1 better than my 1st gen chromecast, then the're going back to Walmart!

My issue could be an isolated one or part of a bad batch? But I have two units and both behaves the same way. I didn't try updating the 2nd unit but I'm not going to waste my time in on them anymore. I'm going to factory reset them and get them ready to be returned.

Thumbs up to the Nvidia Shield TV tho, it was fast, premium looking and gamestream worked perfect. I almost forgot I was streaming from my gaming desktop over the network to my HDTV at one point.

Hope these Mi boxes work better in the future for everyone. Good luck
christoofar, psuKinger and reddice like this.

Last edited by goofytek; 09-29-2016 at 11:49 AM.
post #33 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
This is a nice pro-tip, and something I might look into doing to improve performance on my Google Nexus Player myself... MPEG-2 Live TV streaming just wasn't "good enough" for me, even though the application (this Nexus Player) wasn't for any sort of "critical viewing".

The Nexus Player's usb connection I believe is micro... while most of the better-rated USB-to-ethernet adaptors I'm seeing online are full-sized. Are you using two adaptors (micro-to-regular USB, then USB-to-ethernet), or did you go with an ethernet-to-micro-USB adaptor?
I use a USB to Ethernet adapter from Amazon by Plugable ($11.99) on my parents Nexus Player hooked to a Actiontec Ethernet to Coax adapter coming out of the wall on their downstairs living room setup (the FIOS router is upstairs) and it runs flawlessly.

I really hope this Mi Box works out as I'm looking forward to another Android TV option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
I don't use DLNA. Here's what I do:

1) RIP my personal blu ray collection, losslessly (1:1), with the lossless hd audio track (truehd or hd-ma) via MakeMKV. I don't then run my files thru MKVMerge the way some do. They are full-sized (20-30 gigs, on average).

2) Play them back on any one of my three (ethernet connected) NVidia Shields using the app SPMC (a kodi-fork created by former Kodi developer Koying).

On my "main theater" system, that setup absolutely bitstreams both TrueHD and HD-MA, and has for quite sometime... you can check the lengthy Shield over on the HTPC forum for confirmation, if you want... almost everyone over there does it more-or-less that way.

Once SPMC came along, my wdtv ceased to serve a purpose... once someone (plex? Silicon Dust?) gives me a completed DVR alternative to WMC (complete with pause/rewind of live tv), I'll have no need for anything OTHER THAN one android tv box hooked up to each TV in the house...
it is a great advice, i will try to replicate this.
My current setup relies on the old WDMYCLOUD 4Tb device that also has a Twonky dlna server, and, as very far from perfect - i can use this content from DLNA on all 4 TVs i have in the house plus on the projector in the HT room. TVs are all LG except of one in the living room have an embedded players and i do not want to put any boxes next to them as TVs are hanging on the walls with no cables exposed. So it is a bit of a dilemma on the network side of things how to maintain this zoo in the simplest way possible.
Still, thanks for the idea, i will try to investigate this method with SPMC.
post #35 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
There was a system update today for the mi boxes. About a 22mb update. I should had copied the change log but it only listed bug fixes and performance fixes. After the update and a reboot the first thing I tried of course was netflix. Netflix HD and 5.1 sound was detected and I fired up House of Cards. We watch half an episode and it was stutter free and I had a huge sigh of relief. We paused the episode half way in to get some food. I left the box paused but turned off the AVR and TV. When we came back and powered the TV and AVR back on, Netflix encountered and error and I restarted the episode but lost 5.1 sound. I exited Netflix and restarted the app and it 5.1 sound was back but.. the stuttering came back too. We tried to watch through the rest of the episode but the stuttering was very clear. Every 15-20 sec it stutter like first day I got this mi box and before this update. Basically no change. Overheating? Memory or cache bug or something? I don't know why

At this point I basically knew these (I have two of them) will be going back to Walmart the instant I saw the stuttering come back. So...I unboxed a Nvidia Shield TV I just picked up earlier in the day as a backup from BBY and got it setup, updated, signed in and ran into 0 issues with Netflix HD and 5.1 sound. Same internet, same AVR, and TV, flawless. We watched 2ep back to back without a hitch.

I really was hoping that these Mi Boxes would be a great price to performance ratio media box, but if It can't even do Netflix HD and with 5.1 better than my 1st gen chromecast, then the're going back to Walmart!

My issue could be a isolated one or part of a bad batch? But I have two units and both behaves the same way. I didn't try updating the 2nd unit but I'm not going to waste my time in on them anymore. I'm going to factory reset them and get them ready to be returned.

Thumbs up to the Nvidia Shield TV tho, it was fast, premium looking and gamestream worked perfect. I almost forgot I was streaming from my gaming desktop over the network to my HDTV at one point.

You do know its currently beta firmware right? You should probably wait a week when they are officially released and have final firmware to take them back.
post #36 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post
You do know its currently beta firmware right? You should probably wait a week when they are officially released and have final firmware to take them back.
How do you know its beta firmware? What if the latest patch update was the final release firmware? Even if this is "beta" firmware, first impressions are hard to shake when there are products that are cheaper and older that can do the same basic thing with no issues.

What i really want to hear from others are their experiences with their Mi Boxes if anyone else has one. But you're right, I can wait it out until they are officially announced, but in my option and after trying the Nvidia Shield TV, the Shield is a better product for my usage case and exceeded my expectations of how a good Android TV Box should be.
reddice likes this.
post #37 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
^ all the Chinese boxes are running beta FW.
That's how they get away with over promising and under delivering- it's beta... we're working on it.
And then they come out with a new model and stop support for the previous gen hardware. Been there, done that- tired of it.

You're literally better off spending $35 on a Raspberry Pi3 or Odroid C2 and run Kodi on them vs. these Chinese POS boxes- you save $$ and the support is better.

"we're still here!"
post #38 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
How do you know its beta firmware? What if the latest patch update was the final release firmware? Even if this is "beta" firmware, first impressions are hard to shake when there are products that are cheaper and older that can do the same basic thing with no issues.

What i really want to hear from others are their experiences with their Mi Boxes if anyone else has one. But you're right, I can wait it out until they are officially announced, but in my option and after trying the Nvidia Shield TV, the Shield is a better product for my usage case and exceeded my expectations of how a good Android TV Box should be.
Because the kernel is listed as TRIAL. You also bought them before they have even been announced for sale or any pricing. Walmart has removed them from Inventory and taken them all of the shelves. They werent supposed to be sold till I think the 4th if at the earliest.

They will release a final firmware probably the day they are announced. Even people beta testing them were surprised to hear they were for sale at walmart. Some how walmart ended up breaking the street date.

Its the same as Xboxs / PS4s etc. They get the device out to retailers before the street date so it can be had on a date, but on the date of release, they release a finalized firmware with many fixes the initial one shipped with didn't have. I'm not saying it will fix your Netflix issue, but you are using a product not officially released.
post #39 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Because the kernel is listed as TRIAL. You also bought them before they have even been announced for sale or any pricing. Walmart has removed them from Inventory and taken them all of the shelves. They werent supposed to be sold till I think the 4th if at the earliest.

They will release a final firmware probably the day they are announced. Even people beta testing them were surprised to hear they were for sale at walmart. Some how walmart ended up breaking the street date.

Its the same as Xboxs / PS4s etc. They get the device out to retailers before the street date so it can be had on a date, but on the date of release, they release a finalized firmware with many fixes the initial one shipped with didn't have. I'm not saying it will fix your Netflix issue, but you are using a product not officially released.
Quote:

1. These Mi Boxes might still need a Day One Patch to get these bugs sorted out.
2. HDMI Handshake issue? Lip/Audio Sync out of wack?
3. Hardware/firmware issue with HDMI output on these boxes?
You implied that I should had known its or could be beta fw and they were not intended for sale yet is an untrue statement. I totally understand that we got these Retail units before the official release and I even stated in one of my first posts that there could be a Day One Patch that could fix this problem. Since someone asked if I had any updates to my Netflix HD and 5.1 Issue and i gave my feedback.

Xiaomi could had announced them for sale that same day it showed up on the shelves or even anytime before today and that wouldn't change the fact in it's current state, I still have the issues with Netflix HD+5.1 audio. Being this far into development and having a retail product already shipped to retailer but to have one of the most common and biggest streaming platform still in this state seems a big oversight for a mainstream content streaming box. I was also planning to return them because the Nvidia Shield TV i just picked up has everything that I was looking for in a media box and some features I didn't know I wanted.

If i still have these boxes when they are officially released and updated, then i'll post an update of my findings on my issues. peace.
reddice likes this.
post #40 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
You implied that I should had known its or could be beta fw and they were not intended for sale yet is an untrue statement. I totally understand that we got these Retail units before the official release and I even stated in one of my first posts that there could be a Day One Patch that could fix this problem. Since someone asked if I had any updates to my Netflix HD and 5.1 Issue and i gave my feedback.

Xiaomi could had announced them for sale that same day it showed up on the shelves or even anytime before today and that wouldn't change the fact in it's current state, I still have the issues with Netflix HD+5.1 audio. Being this far into development and having a retail product already shipped to retailer but to have one of the most common and biggest streaming platform still in this state seems a big oversight for a mainstream content streaming box. I was also planning to return them because the Nvidia Shield TV i just picked up has everything that I was looking for in a media box and some features I didn't know I wanted.

If i still have these boxes when they are officially released and updated, then i'll post an update of my findings on my issues. peace.
I didn't mean any disrespect or to sound like a dick bro. I doubt its ever going to be a perfect device, its $69. I think eventually it should be at least as good as the Nexus player. I have a Shield TV I use Plex on and it works great. I really do hope the Mi Box will work with Plex as good as a Shield and i'll buy like 8.
post #41 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean any disrespect or to sound like a dick bro. I doubt its ever going to be a perfect device, its $69. I think eventually it should be at least as good as the Nexus player. I have a Shield TV I use Plex on and it works great. I really do hope the Mi Box will work with Plex as good as a Shield and i'll buy like 8.
No worries, I just wanted to set the record straight and that my experience(and other's) could change after the Mi Box gets officially released.

Xiaomi is brand that I believe is helping to push others brands to raise the bar and I hope they can give the launch of the Mi box a smooth one.
post #42 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 03:32 PM

Apologies jumping in here but anyone with this box, and using wi-fi, are you using the standard USB to ethernet adapter? If not what? Thanks for any help.
post #43 of 323 Old 09-29-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJay View Post
Apologies jumping in here but anyone with this box, and using wi-fi, are you using the standard USB to ethernet adapter? If not what? Thanks for any help.
I was using the Built in AC Wifi. Seems to work just fine, Download and streaming overall was quick with limited buffering. However my AC Router was only about 1FT/0.3M away from the Mi Box.
post #44 of 323 Old 09-30-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I was using the Built in AC Wifi. Seems to work just fine, Download and streaming overall was quick with limited buffering. However my AC Router was only about 1FT/0.3M away from the Mi Box.
Thanks for the info. My post was worded wrong I was wondering if anyone using a WIRED connection was able to use just a basic USB to ethernet adapter without issue? I would assume so, but you never know. Lightning just fried my Nvidia shield's HDMI port so I need a Google Android TV replacement and this one seems good for my needs, which is just a fast slick Plex and Youtube player essentially. I'm also excited to see the new Shield ATV that's coming soon.

I'm sure there will be a final update before the official roll out of the Mi Box (whenever that is, most likely the 4th) to deal with these issues we are hearing about.
post #45 of 323 Old 09-30-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:

My issue could be an isolated one or part of a bad batch? But I have two units and both behaves the same way. I didn't try updating the 2nd unit but I'm not going to waste my time in on them anymore. I'm going to factory reset them and get them ready to be returned.

You would probably have far better luck using wired ethernet then Wifi.
post #46 of 323 Old 10-01-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
You would probably have far better luck using wired ethernet then Wifi.
What do you mean? I have a 1st & 2nd Gen Chromecast in other rooms and they work just fine on wifi if that's what you meant.
post #47 of 323 Old 10-01-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
What do you mean? I have a 1st & 2nd Gen Chromecast in other rooms and they work just fine on wifi if that's what you meant.
Maybe using a USB Ethernet adapter would fix the problems as a wired connection is 100% more stable/reliable then any wireless connection
post #48 of 323 Old 10-01-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Maybe using a USB Ethernet adapter would fix the problems as a wired connection is 100% more stable/reliable then any wireless connection
Could Ethernet Fix the problem? Maybe. But seeing that every other WiFi Device from chromecasts, to tablets and laptops work perfectly on 2.4ghz and 5ghz Wireless all around the house and these Mi Boxes being only 1ft away from the router, I cant say that there is anything wrong with the WIFi connection on the box. Buffering and HD seems to work just fine and it buffers at the same rate as all other devices. Downloading updates and apps seems just as quick as on other devices. It seems like this is more HW/SoC or FW Issue with the box than a network connection issue. At least for my case.

I would understand if people that have existing WiFi issues or are unable to get strong signal would want to or need to use Ethernet, but that shouldn't be a hard requirement to get it working out of the box with a proper working Wifi network.
post #49 of 323 Old 10-01-2016, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Wireless usually works fine when you're streaming from online media sources (Netflix, etc.). If you are streaming uncompressed 1:1 Blu-ray rips across your local network you definitely want to use wired Ethernet. That's been my experience anyway so TIFWIW.
post #50 of 323 Old 10-01-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Could Ethernet Fix the problem? Maybe. But seeing that every other WiFi Device from chromecasts, to tablets and laptops work perfectly on 2.4ghz and 5ghz Wireless all around the house and these Mi Boxes being only 1ft away from the router, I cant say that there is anything wrong with the WIFi connection on the box. Buffering and HD seems to work just fine and it buffers at the same rate as all other devices. Downloading updates and apps seems just as quick as on other devices. It seems like this is more HW/SoC or FW Issue with the box than a network connection issue. At least for my case.

I would understand if people that have existing WiFi issues or are unable to get strong signal would want to or need to use Ethernet, but that shouldn't be a hard requirement to get it working out of the box with a proper working Wifi network.
Just saying don't blame the device on something unless you've tried every possible fix, even if 'other' devices seem to work fine.

There's a reason why all IT people ask "Have you tried turning it off and on again?". It may sound stupid, but it works.

Try anything before blaming the device. Even a "stupid" idea may work, even if it seems like it won't.
christoofar likes this.
post #51 of 323 Old 10-01-2016, 11:09 PM

Thumbs down Great response

Quote:
Just saying don't blame the device on something unless you've tried every possible fix, even if 'other' devices seem to work fine.

There's a reason why all IT people ask "Have you tried turning it off and on again?". It may sound stupid, but it works.
Funny you should bring up IT. I'm a store manager of a computer and tech retail store. Asking if the customer "Power Cycled" and "Is it plugged in" is the first question we ask. I don't think its stupid to try to power cycle, but I do think it is stupid to have to find and buy a USB Ethernet Dongle for something that was designed to primary use WiFi for network connectivity. There are so many cases that people cannot have wired Ethernet at the same location as one of these boxes anyways.

Why are you so certain its my network connection at all? You can't entertain the idea that there could be a SW/FW/or HW issue with the devices, or at least with my units with their current FW build? Is your unit working perfectly? Do you even have one?

Lets troubleshoot this like an IT person.

Is it on? yes
all required cables plugged in? yes
are all the cables known good? yes
power cycled? yes
factory reset? yes
sw/fw updated? yes
what type of wifi? AC 5Ghz
Internet speed test? good 100mbit+
Internet ping? good ~20ms
Any issues with internet on any other deivce on the network? no
Any issues with Wifi with any other device on the network? no
Any issues with Netflix on any other device on the network? no
Exchange for another unit? yes same result.
Purchased a Nvidia Shield TV and Netflix HD + 5.1 works fine on same Wifi? Yes.

Your answer: It gotta be your Wifi, cant rule it out, gotta try even if stupid, go find compatible usb ethernet dongle and you might even sell it at your retail store to see if you can get your media box that was designed to use wireless working. Then you might have a working unit as intended by the manufacture.

Quote:

Try anything before blaming the device. Even a "stupid" idea may work, even if it seems like it won't.
I tried EVERYTHING that a normal person should and would do before having to go above and beyond to get a product working. So before you tell me that i'm blaming the device before trying ANYTHING, you should check your facts and your logic of your responses.
psuKinger likes this.

Last edited by goofytek; 10-01-2016 at 11:17 PM.
post #52 of 323 Old 10-02-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Funny you should bring up IT. I'm a store manager of a computer and tech retail store. Asking if the customer "Power Cycled" and "Is it plugged in" is the first question we ask. I don't think its stupid to try to power cycle, but I do think it is stupid to have to find and buy a USB Ethernet Dongle for something that was designed to primary use WiFi for network connectivity. There are so many cases that people cannot have wired Ethernet at the same location as one of these boxes anyways.

Why are you so certain its my network connection at all? You can't entertain the idea that there could be a SW/FW/or HW issue with the devices, or at least with my units with their current FW build? Is your unit working perfectly? Do you even have one?

Lets troubleshoot this like an IT person.

Is it on? yes
all required cables plugged in? yes
are all the cables known good? yes
power cycled? yes
factory reset? yes
sw/fw updated? yes
what type of wifi? AC 5Ghz
Internet speed test? good 100mbit+
Internet ping? good ~20ms
Any issues with internet on any other deivce on the network? no
Any issues with Wifi with any other device on the network? no
Any issues with Netflix on any other device on the network? no
Exchange for another unit? yes same result.
Purchased a Nvidia Shield TV and Netflix HD + 5.1 works fine on same Wifi? Yes.

Your answer: It gotta be your Wifi, cant rule it out, gotta try even if stupid, go find compatible usb ethernet dongle and you might even sell it at your retail store to see if you can get your media box that was designed to use wireless working. Then you might have a working unit as intended by the manufacture.

I tried EVERYTHING that a normal person should and would do before having to go above and beyond to get a product working. So before you tell me that i'm blaming the device before trying ANYTHING, you should check your facts and your logic of your responses.
A) if you haven't tried an adapter, you haven't tried everything. Simple. End of story there. TRY EVERYTHING.
B) You ran into something I ran into years ago: My brother's computer (on the second floor of my condo) WAS able to reach the wireless router (basement) for a while until it just stopped working. Did I go "dammit, I tried EVERYTHING..and it doesn't work" right away? No. Rest router, restarted computer...no go. Purchased power line ethernet adapters, still didn't work. I ended up purchasing MOCA adapters and the issue was solved.

NOW, by your logic, I should have thrown away the router and called it a failure. It should have worked, right? right? After all, every other device could connect to it, why didn't his laptop?
christoofar likes this.
post #53 of 323 Old 10-02-2016, 03:08 AM

Quote:
A) if you haven't tried an adapter, you haven't tried everything. Simple. End of story there. TRY EVERYTHING.
B) You ran into something I ran into years ago: My brother's computer (on the second floor of my condo) WAS able to reach the wireless router (basement) for a while until it just stopped working. Did I go "dammit, I tried EVERYTHING..and it doesn't work" right away? No. Rest router, restarted computer...no go. Purchased power line ethernet adapters, still didn't work. I ended up purchasing MOCA adapters and the issue was solved.

NOW, by your logic, I should have thrown away the router and called it a failure. It should have worked, right? right? After all, every other device could connect to it, why didn't his laptop?
You are missing the point.

A.) No, that is not common sense or logical. I shouldn't need go out and purchased an undocumented USB to Ethernet Dongle to get this to work. Yes I know its should work as others has said it could as some USB to Ethernet chipsets are naivety supported in Android. What if i don't have Ethernet access where the mi box is? I go buy a Powerline over ethernet adapter? Run a long cable there? What if i also don't have enough ports on my router? Now i need a extra switch? I shouldn't need to buy all these extra things to get this to work. Even if it did work, why would i keep a device that wont work on correctly on wifi? I would buy a product that works as intended.

B.) Again your logic is off. That's not even the same thing. Your asking me to try to use a Ethernet dongle for my WiFi media device. Then why wouldn't you tell your brother to go ahead and use a USB to Ethernet Dongle then? Because means your losing a key feature on that laptop, the convenience of being wireless. As I would be losing the convenience of wireless. It devalues the product, it makes it worth less if you cannot access all its features as advertise.

And why would i throw away the router? Did he just purchased it like i did? Did he have a return window as well? Replacing or exchanging the router could had solved it as easily depending on the problem. At no point was i going to throw them away. That makes me look ignorant. I want my money back for a product that is not working as even the manufacture intended.

WiFi is working. Internet is working. I'm just getting stuttering when Netflix HD and 5.1 is enabled. Youtube HD works fine, downloading works fine. Playing HD content over from my NAS to the Mi box with Kodi works fine with 5.1 sound. My guess is a SoC Issue, Kernel,FW issue, a DRM Issue, or maybe even a thermal issue. Last thing would be Internet, and if even a USB Ethernet Dongle would work, it would still be going back, because there are other boxes that don't need to be dongled up and/or hacked together to work.
post #54 of 323 Old 10-03-2016, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've been obsessively comparing the HiMedia Q5 Pro to the Xiaomi Mi Box over the weekend. At first I thought I made a mistake pulling the trigger on the Q5 Pro on eBay but when I saw this
talk about the 4k limitations(stuttering) of the Mi Box and the fact it couldn't play DTS TrueHD, and other audio formats I felt better about my purchase. Now, I understand that the Mi Box hasn't been released yet, and this review could be considered a 'beta' review, but I am doubting a release day patch is going to fix all these issues.

The Mi Box came so close, but I really want a player that can decode all the different audio codecs and handle 4k once I make that upgrade. Most 4k TVs come with built-in apps for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon so that wasn't a deal breaker for the Q5 Pro not having HD versions of those apps.

I do find the review quite interesting though. I think the Mi Box has a lot of potential, so I will use my Q5 Pro until the Mi Box proves itself a worthy successor.
reddice likes this.
post #55 of 323 Old 10-03-2016, 11:47 AM

The Mi Box is officially launching today for $69

It's Official

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10...hing-today-69/

I'll see if there is a day one patch and test my boxes again before returning them.
post #56 of 323 Old 10-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
I've been obsessively comparing the HiMedia Q5 Pro to the Xiaomi Mi Box over the weekend. At first I thought I made a mistake pulling the trigger on the Q5 Pro on eBay but when I saw this review talk about the 4k limitations(stuttering) of the Mi Box and the fact it couldn't play DTS TrueHD, and other audio formats I felt better about my purchase. Now, I understand that the Mi Box hasn't been released yet, and this review could be considered a 'beta' review, but I am doubting a release day patch is going to fix all these issues.

The Mi Box came so close, but I really want a player that can decode all the different audio codecs and handle 4k once I make that upgrade. Most 4k TVs come with built-in apps for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon so that wasn't a deal breaker for the Q5 Pro not having HD versions of those apps.

I do find the review quite interesting though. I think the Mi Box has a lot of potential, so I will use my Q5 Pro until the Mi Box proves itself a worthy successor.
For a time, I considered the Himedia Q5.

Until I read that the Netflix app doesn't output surround sound. Only stereo.

Instant no-go for me. That's a huge deal breaker. No amount of extra bells or whistles will come close to 'making it up' for the lack of surround sound on Netflix. I wouldn't even take one for free. Harsh? Maybe. Surround sound is important to me. HD Netflix is pointless without surround sound.
post #57 of 323 Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 AM

Netflix HD + 5.1 Audio OK

I got home to boot up one of the boxes and found 2 updates waiting. Netflix and Android TV Launcher wanted to update. I updated both and fired up Netflix. Looks like one or both of those updates fixed my stuttering issue. Been watching for about 2hrs with no issue. I did a quick test and uninstalled the Android TV Launcher update to see if that was the cause, but it didnt change the performance. So most like it was the Netflix App was causing issue maybe. The Build date of the Netflix app was Oct 3rd. I cannot comfirm because i dont want to find a older version of the Netflix APP or setup the other Mi Box.

I'm still on the fence on keeping the Mi Box, as I like the Shield TV better, but now its a def now a Recommend if you want to check out Android TV.

TL,DR: Netflix HD + 5.1 Audio seem to work perfectly after Netflix for Android TV Update.
post #58 of 323 Old 10-04-2016, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quick question .. If I use a USB to Ethernet adapter for Wired Internet connection, how does the Mi box recognize this as it only has options for Wireless built-in connection .. correct? Will the box automatically detect your network when an RJ45 cable is connected and use the wired connection? Has anyone used these USB to Ethernet adapters and got this working?
post #59 of 323 Old 10-04-2016, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have this to test HDR with VUDU? I have a handful of movies I own on VUDU UHD but on my Android Sony tv I don't have access to them. Still holding out for a reasonably priced uhd disc player but would pick this up if it means I could play VUDU uhd digital copies in hdr.
post #60 of 323 Old 10-04-2016, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So I walk into Wal-Mart last night to see if they had the Mi Box on the shelf and they did, but they still could not sell it to me. Frustrating. So I guess I will have to wait week (Oct. 10) as some websites are saying Wal-Mart must wait a week. Why????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page