post #61 of 324 Old 10-04-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post
For a time, I considered the Himedia Q5.

Until I read that the Netflix app doesn't output surround sound. Only stereo.

Instant no-go for me. That's a huge deal breaker. No amount of extra bells or whistles will come close to 'making it up' for the lack of surround sound on Netflix. I wouldn't even take one for free. Harsh? Maybe. Surround sound is important to me. HD Netflix is pointless without surround sound.
As a "primary device", for use in a "primary" theater? That's not at all "overly harsh", nobody goes to all the time, effort, and expense to buy, connect, and calibrate a 5.1+ "home theater" (with audyssey audio calibration, disc calibration for screen, etc) and then plug a device in that can't use it. Very reasonable.

For me personally, though, I'm looking at this specific device for "auxilliary" services (on TV's that aren't "primary" setups, used for critical viewing)... I've already got Android TV running on 4 of the 6-7 TVs in my home, and the $70 pricepoint here makes this a pretty compelling option for a way to outfit the the last 2-3...

That $70 price point is a very appealing way to outfit the last 2-3 tvs in my home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 324 Old 10-04-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
I've been obsessively comparing the HiMedia Q5 Pro to the Xiaomi Mi Box over the weekend. At first I thought I made a mistake pulling the trigger on the Q5 Pro on eBay but when I saw this review talk about the 4k limitations(stuttering) of the Mi Box and the fact it couldn't play DTS TrueHD, and other audio formats I felt better about my purchase. Now, I understand that the Mi Box hasn't been released yet, and this review could be considered a 'beta' review, but I am doubting a release day patch is going to fix all these issues.

The Mi Box came so close, but I really want a player that can decode all the different audio codecs and handle 4k once I make that upgrade. Most 4k TVs come with built-in apps for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon so that wasn't a deal breaker for the Q5 Pro not having HD versions of those apps.

I do find the review quite interesting though. I think the Mi Box has a lot of potential, so I will use my Q5 Pro until the Mi Box proves itself a worthy successor.
Lon's the best.

Disappointing to hear he was seeing some "dropped frames" when using Mi with his HDHomeRun Prime... that would be my primary motivation to go out and get one.
post #63 of 324 Old 10-04-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 796
If you are looking at this guy for local playback (only) why not get the ODROID-C2 instead? Same processor with Ethernet and support for HD audio via LibreELEC. It supports Android as well although to what degree I'm not sure...

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K Monitor |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 324 Old 10-04-2016, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I've been obsessively comparing the HiMedia Q5 Pro to the Xiaomi Mi Box over the weekend. At first I thought I made a mistake pulling the trigger on the Q5 Pro on eBay but when I saw this review talk about the 4k limitations(stuttering) of the Mi Box and the fact it couldn't play DTS TrueHD, and other audio formats I felt better about my purchase. Now, I understand that the Mi Box hasn't been released yet, and this review could be considered a 'beta' review, but I am doubting a release day patch is going to fix all these issues.

The Mi Box came so close, but I really want a player that can decode all the different audio codecs and handle 4k once I make that upgrade. Most 4k TVs come with built-in apps for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon so that wasn't a deal breaker for the Q5 Pro not having HD versions of those apps.

I do find the review quite interesting though. I think the Mi Box has a lot of potential, so I will use my Q5 Pro until the Mi Box proves itself a worthy successor.
The HiMedia Q5 Pro is not technically "Android TV".
post #65 of 324 Old 10-04-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljoe View Post
Quick question .. If I use a USB to Ethernet adapter for Wired Internet connection, how does the Mi box recognize this as it only has options for Wireless built-in connection .. correct? Will the box automatically detect your network when an RJ45 cable is connected and use the wired connection? Has anyone used these USB to Ethernet adapters and got this working?
From what I've read, it automatically detects the wired connection and indicates that in the menu.
post #66 of 324 Old 10-04-2016, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
If you are looking at this guy for local playback (only) why not get the ODROID-C2 instead? Same processor with Ethernet and support for HD audio via LibreELEC. It supports Android as well although to what degree I'm not sure...
A big draw for the Mi Box is the official Google Android TV that allows DRM apps to work at full resolution, like Netflix in HD.
post #67 of 324 Old 10-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I completely don't need one of these, but I'm very interested in them due to my incurable gadget addiction. At least that's what my Amazon Echo told me...
post #68 of 324 Old 10-06-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am thinking about this, the new roku ultra or the new chromcecast. Any reason not to buy this? I would use it to watch Vudu, Netflix, HBO and maybe a few other shows/apps.
post #69 of 324 Old 10-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post
This is a nice pro-tip, and something I might look into doing to improve performance on my Google Nexus Player myself... MPEG-2 Live TV streaming just wasn't "good enough" for me, even though the application (this Nexus Player) wasn't for any sort of "critical viewing".

The Nexus Player's usb connection I believe is micro... while most of the better-rated USB-to-ethernet adaptors I'm seeing online are full-sized. Are you using two adaptors (micro-to-regular USB, then USB-to-ethernet), or did you go with an ethernet-to-micro-USB adaptor?
Yes, I used a StarTech OTG adapter cable (could net get an OTG cable that was not right angle locally), and I already had a BobjGear USB Ethernet adapter that I used with a generic Android stick (regular Android not Android TV). The reason I did not go with micro USB was because the Android stick came with and OTG cable. I picked the BobjGear after searching for well reviewed USB Ethernet adapters. Later on I found XDA forum where I could find out from other users what did and did not work.

Here is partial list of USB to Ethernet adapters know to work with at least one Android TV device.

Ethernet Adapters:

Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter (ASIX AX88178 Chipset only)
Know to work with Nexus Player
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VSTDFG/ref=asc_df_B003VSTDFG4557130?smid=A3HIHADV23VGU1&t ag=shopz0d-20&ascsubtag=shopzilla_mp_1362-20;14757858109170339286910080302008005&linkCode=df 0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B003VSTDFG

USB 2.0 to 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (appears to be a rebadge of the above)
  • One user reported achieving 85Mbps off internet (his maximum bandwidth) and 95Mbps from his computer to Nexus Player on his LAN.
http://www.dx.com/p/usb-2-0-to-10-100-1000mbps-gigabit-ethernet-adapter-20771#.VLBQQFWUf18?Utm_rid=91266049&Utm_source=aff iliatewindow

Ethernet USB Hub combo adapter:

Inateck 3 Ports USB 3.0 Hub and RJ45 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Hub (model 4003 only)
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Gigabit-Ethernet-Converter-Network/dp/B00IJU0K2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475787413&sr=8-1&keywords=Inateck+HB4003

3 Ports USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Lan RJ45 Network Adapter Hub to 1000Mbps For PC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371451969611?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

Sorry I don`t have have a broader list of devices but the Forge TV is pretty much out of the picture and the Shield TV has Ethernet port so there is not really any much demand from their users for an adapter.
Balthazar2k4 likes this.
post #70 of 324 Old 10-06-2016, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
^ all the Chinese boxes are running beta FW.
That's how they get away with over promising and under delivering- it's beta... we're working on it.
And then they come out with a new model and stop support for the previous gen hardware. Been there, done that- tired of it.

You're literally better off spending $35 on a Raspberry Pi3 or Odroid C2 and run Kodi on them vs. these Chinese POS boxes- you save $$ and the support is better.
Couldn't agree more. A kindred spirit Or, at least, another sucker who has tried a few of these different boxes and tweaked the sheet out of them, read through freaktab forums, etc.

I will say Xiaomi is making a big splash in a pretty good way right now like huawei was 3 years ago. Maybe they'll stick with it, probably not though
post #71 of 324 Old 10-07-2016, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Has anyone tried Netflix with an HDR title? The specs for the Mi don't specifically mention Dolby Vision, so I'm curious if you can get HDR through Netflix at this point.

Or any other HDR tests? Sideloading the Amazon app? Or Vudu?
post #72 of 324 Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Has anyone been able to get their Mi Box to play DTS TrueHD or any other Atmos audio? I can't get it to play anything but DTS Surround on my receiver? I am not sure if it will ever support those?
Boodaddy likes this.
post #73 of 324 Old 10-07-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
I am not sure if it will ever support those?
Both are supported via LibreELEC/ODROID-C2. It uses the same CPU... no clue as to how closely the rest of the board is mirrored.
ScottFern likes this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K Monitor |
post #74 of 324 Old 10-08-2016, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Both are supported via LibreELEC/ODROID-C2. It uses the same CPU... no clue as to how closely the rest of the board is mirrored.

can the ordroid c2 libreelec be installed and ran via micro sd on the mi box?
would love to dual boot until the official firmware matures(24fps,dts hd pass through etc)
post #75 of 324 Old 10-08-2016, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
I was reading somewhere that this is basically a steaming box with Chromecast built in. Is that true? So would buying a chromecast 4k be a waste if you have this? Also is this Dolby Vision capable?
post #76 of 324 Old 10-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My take on the Xiaomi Mi Box...

Bought this on Friday from Walmart and set it up today on my receiver with a 1080p projector and 7.1 sound system. I love streaming boxes and have quite a few currently, AFTV, AFTV2, AFTV stick, ChromeCast 2, Roku 3/4, and the Nexus player.

This is much snappier and more responsive the then Nexus Player plus my Nexus player has issues with videos skipping in Netflix and You Tube, I saw none of this from the Mi Box. I like the Android TV UI, it's better then AFTV and Roku but there are a couple things about this that are a deal breaker and I'll probably be returning this.

Review of some of the apps that I tested with:

Netflix - it's perfect, fast and outputs DD+ 5.1
Hulu - doesn't support 5.1 sound on any platform, but works as expected
Epix - doesn't support 5.1 sound on any platform, but works as expected
Google Play movies - outputs DD+ 5.1, ramps up to HD quickly
NBC News - works as expected
PBS Video - works as expected
Showtime Anytime - doesn't support 5.1 sound on any platform, but works as expected
Pluto TV - works as expected
Vudu - UI is ok, not that great really, very slow ramp up to HD/HDX, doesn't output DD+ 5.1/7.1 for some reason
CinemaNow - UI is ok, Does not support DD+ 5.1
FX Now - works as expected
Haystack TV - works as expected
HBO Go - works as expected doesn't support DD+ 5.1 for some reason
You Tube - Works as expected, supports 720p/1080p60fps which is nice.
Ted TV - Works as expected

Comparing this to Chromecast2 @ $35, Chromecast is the better deal IMO because Netflix, Google Play movies, Vudu, HBO Go and CinemaNow support DD+ 5.1, there isn't a Android TV app for FandangoNOW but it can be cast and it supports DD+ 5.1 on Chromecast2 but casting to the Mi Box it's only PCM 2.0.

Android TV is lacking in apps also, surprisingly there are a lot of apps MIA for Android TV, but you can cast many that don't have a native app which does make up for some of them that are missing.

If your looking for surround sound within most major apps on the Android TV Mi Box then you will be disappointed as was I, but if you have a 1080p or UHD TV/HDR with a 2.0 soundbar then it's a great little box for $69.00. If your looking for UHD/HDR with surround sound then the Chromecast Ultra for $69.00 looks like a great deal.

Unfortunately for me the Mi Box is probably not a keeper because many of the major apps are lacking surround sound.
post #77 of 324 Old 10-08-2016, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter67 View Post

Bought this on Friday from Walmart and set it up today on my receiver with a 1080p projector and 7.1 sound system. I love streaming boxes and have quite a few currently, AFTV, AFTV2, AFTV stick, ChromeCast 2, Roku 3/4, and the Nexus player.

This is much snappier and more responsive the then Nexus Player plus my Nexus player has issues with videos skipping in Netflix and You Tube, I saw none of this from the Mi Box. I like the Android TV UI, it's better then AFTV and Roku but there are a couple things about this that are a deal breaker and I'll probably be returning this.

Review of some of the apps that I tested with:

Showtime Anytime - doesn't support 5.1 sound on any platform, but works as expected
Vudu - UI is ok, not that great really, very slow ramp up to HD/HDX, doesn't output DD+ 5.1/7.1 for some reason

Comparing this to Chromecast2 @ $35, Chromecast is the better deal IMO because Netflix, Google Play movies, Vudu, HBO Go and CinemaNow support DD+ 5.1, there isn't a Android TV app for FandangoNOW but it can be cast and it supports DD+ 5.1 on Chromecast2 but casting to the Mi Box it's only PCM 2.0.

Android TV is lacking in apps also, surprisingly there are a lot of apps MIA for Android TV, but you can cast many that don't have a native app which does make up for some of them that are missing.

If your looking for surround sound within most major apps on the Android TV Mi Box then you will be disappointed as was I, but if you have a 1080p or UHD TV/HDR with a 2.0 soundbar then it's a great little box for $69.00. If your looking for UHD/HDR with surround sound then the Chromecast Ultra for $69.00 looks like a great deal.

Unfortunately for me the Mi Box is probably not a keeper because many of the major apps are lacking surround sound.
The most important issue for me is Netflix in 5.1

Does Netflix play in 5.1 on the Mibox? (and coming from Canada, half of the apps listed won't apply to me anyways. All I care about is Netflix and Kodi anyways)
post #78 of 324 Old 10-09-2016, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2842
Quote:

Does Netflix play in 5.1 on the Mibox? (and coming from Canada, half of the apps listed won't apply to me anyways. All I care about is Netflix and Kodi anyways)
Quite a number of apps are stereo only on all streaming devices. Hulu for instance.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #79 of 324 Old 10-09-2016, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, Netflix streams in 5.1 and runs great on the Mi Box.
post #80 of 324 Old 10-09-2016, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Last update of HBO GO added support for DD+ 5.1, but it doesn't work very well for me, it keeps buffering and the video freezes. It may be the connection, I don't have the best wireless, I added some cheap usb-to-ethernet adapter and it's a little better, but still bad, probably have to try something better. No problems on the Shield TV. If you don't have the update yet you can get the apk from apkmirror. Also Sling tops at 2.6 Mbbps, on the Shield I've seen 6.6

Showtime Anytime is DD 5.1 on Apple tv 3, they probably just started support for it

This box should get an update soon, it is advertised as supporting HDR, but right now it doesn't, since it's not on Nougat
post #81 of 324 Old 10-09-2016, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Do you or anyone know if we can get 7.1 out of this box or android in general?
Kodi suuports 7.1 output but I could not get it works so far. I have tried all settings that I know.
My WDTV Live passed thru just fine all 7.1 mkv movies.
I am debating myself either to return or keep it now.
post #82 of 324 Old 10-10-2016, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvio View Post
Last update of HBO GO added support for DD+ 5.1, but it doesn't work very well for me, it keeps buffering and the video freezes. It may be the connection, I don't have the best wireless, I added some cheap usb-to-ethernet adapter and it's a little better, but still bad, probably have to try something better. No problems on the Shield TV. If you don't have the update yet you can get the apk from apkmirror. Also Sling tops at 2.6 Mbbps, on the Shield I've seen 6.6

Showtime Anytime is DD 5.1 on Apple tv 3, they probably just started support for it

This box should get an update soon, it is advertised as supporting HDR, but right now it doesn't, since it's not on Nougat
Thanks, I updated to the latest HBOGO and it does DD+ 5.1 now but I have the same buffering/video freezing issue as you so it might be a glitch in the app. Casting HBOGO seems to work ok but only in PCM 2.0.
post #83 of 324 Old 10-10-2016, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I ran quite a few issues with using a USB Ethernet adapter (lower overall speeds and intermittent stream quality degrading). AC will be faster and more reliable if the AP is in the same room as the Mi Box.

Also, it supports HDR now, but not with Netflix, and there's also a bug where it won't turn the HDR off on the TV. Once you play a HDR clip, your TV will be in HDR mode until you reboot the Mi Box.
post #84 of 324 Old 10-10-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstephens24 View Post
I ran quite a few issues with using a USB Ethernet adapter (lower overall speeds and intermittent stream quality degrading). AC will be faster and more reliable if the AP is in the same room as the Mi Box.
This is really absurd. I went through all the trouble to run ethernet to my two secondary tv locations and ordered USB ethernet adapters and everything.

Currently, I don't have a Wireless AC router and even if I did go and buy one it's certainly not going to be in the same room as my Mi Box.
post #85 of 324 Old 10-12-2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonKnite View Post

Currently, I don't have a Wireless AC router and even if I did go and buy one it's certainly not going to be in the same room as my Mi Box.
Well the thing with AC is all of its speed comes from using the 5GHz channels. If the AP isn't in the same room, you're going to end up falling back to 2.4GHz channels and 802.11N in most cases. You really need multiple access points to enjoy the speed benefits of AC. You already ran the Ethernet cable so added an access point is really easy, you don't have to replace your existing router. I have four in my house.
post #86 of 324 Old 10-12-2016, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I picked the Mi Box up yesterday from a Walmart. I updated the OS, as well as all the apps that I know of. I enabled HDMI UHD Color in my TV picture settings to accept HDR signals from an external source as I have done with my UHD Blu Ray player. I had this vision to use all streaming channels on this box (except Amazon which will come from TV), UHD Blu Ray player would only be used for UHD Blu Ray, and PS4 Pro only for gaming. Unfortunately, despite Xiaomi's claims, I can only play 4K not HDR.

Anybody know what apps support HDR? Netflix certainly does not.

LG OLED65B7P | LG SJ9 | Roku Ultra | Xbox One X
post #87 of 324 Old 10-12-2016, 08:30 PM

I can get HDR to play in Kodi with the HDR test files that I have, so I know that HDR works. An issue (and maybe why Netflix hasn't turned it on for the box) is that after the video ends, HDR never turns off, it just stays on.
dil23 likes this.
post #88 of 324 Old 10-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofytek View Post
I got home to boot up one of the boxes and found 2 updates waiting. Netflix and Android TV Launcher wanted to update. I updated both and fired up Netflix. Looks like one or both of those updates fixed my stuttering issue. Been watching for about 2hrs with no issue. I did a quick test and uninstalled the Android TV Launcher update to see if that was the cause, but it didnt change the performance. So most like it was the Netflix App was causing issue maybe. The Build date of the Netflix app was Oct 3rd. I cannot comfirm because i dont want to find a older version of the Netflix APP or setup the other Mi Box.

I'm still on the fence on keeping the Mi Box, as I like the Shield TV better, but now its a def now a Recommend if you want to check out Android TV.

TL,DR: Netflix HD + 5.1 Audio seem to work perfectly after Netflix for Android TV Update.
So much crying and complaining and you should of just waited for official release and updates as everybody was telling you.

Now enjoy the box
post #89 of 324 Old 10-13-2016, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thumbs down Gabre ridiculous conclusion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabre View Post
So much crying and complaining and you should of just waited for official release and updates as everybody was telling you.

Now enjoy the box
Where was the crying and complaining part? Didn't know that giving feedback on a product that so many people didn't have was filed under crying and complaining.Was it the post when someone said I would had better luck with Ethernet instead of WiFi when it was never a network issue? Or the part that someone stated that it was because of a "beta FW" but at the end it was a Netflix App update seem to fix the issue? Did you even read my initial post saying that I believe the could be a Day one Patch to solve my issue? I guess my final post stating that the problem was resolved was me crying and complaining some more.

Did you just picked the parts you wanted to read to come up with this ridiculous conclusion? If you did, please quote me on any my posts to backup your claim.

You should just delete your useless reply and go troll somewhere else to increase your post count.

Last edited by goofytek; 10-13-2016 at 01:19 AM.
post #90 of 324 Old 10-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 71
You write way too much, and I have no intention of reading again all that jibberish you wrote in those posts.

People were telling you to wait for update, and you kept repeating in every post how ur gonna return ot, how this how that, etc etc.

I apologise if u got offended.

I am waiting to buy this box and would like to hear constructive critique and first hand experience, thats why im in this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page