I got a mi box (from Wally world) a few days ago, and here is what I found:
1. Android TV system. It seems the interface is very simple. Not sure it is good or bad. It is new to me as I have been using other Chinese Android boxes.
2. No built-in File Explorer. I guess I need ES Explorer or Amaze to access the file or install apk.
3. No built-in media player. VLC is available, and the picture is beautiful and HDR is working, but I can't figure out how to bitstream audio.
4. Play store access, which is missing from all of the Chinese Android box. (No Google service in China) Make it easy to install official apps.
5. Under the Display Setting, there is an option to enable "Deep Color", which enables 10 bit color depth. (not sure it is BT.709 or BT.2020)
6. I installed Kodi 17.3. HEVC10 HDR playback on mkv is working. Picture is very good. However, audio bitstream option somehow do not have Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA. So no bitstream in Atmos.
7. I installed SPMC from Play Store. HDR playback does not work. My TV does not see HDR meta data. Color looks off and some bandings. However, in the audio bitstream options, there are Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA, and I enabled them, and Atmos bitstream is working.
8. Go back to Kodi 17.3, now in the audio bitstream options, there are Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA. Probably due to my change of settings in SPMC. I enabled both. Both HDR and Atmos bitstreaming are now working.
9. I have not updated the firmware to the Nougat beta firmware. Now that both HDR and Atmos are working, I am not sure I want to update. Maybe I will give it a try.
10. No Auto Frame Rate switching in Android as expected. I can set the box refresh rate to 4K 24Hz. Noticed very minor judder. I guess it is not the ideal 23.976Hz to match the 23.976fps in Movie, but I am not super sensitive to the frame rate, so 24Hz is fine for me.
11. Debating whether to keep it or not. For the price, Mi box seems to be a bargain to be able to do HDR and Atmos, something even my KabyLake XPS13 cannot do. (cannot get 10bit color and HDR) I already have 4 Android boxes, one for each TV, and this will be my 5th. Maybe I will keep it and retire my Chinese version 2nd Gen Mi Box.
Last edited by acefr; 06-20-2017 at 12:10 PM.