Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9942Likes

post #4051 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 777
We watched a movie last night in Vudu. I got the buffering about 5 min in that we've been getting however this time the entire Roku froze and rebooted. Finished the movie fine afterwards.

-Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
RE: "My personal opinion, for what that's worth is that Roku will get these issues resolved and the Premium/Ultra players will become stable and become the leader in the field. But, I've been wrong before."

I think that sums it up pretty well. I have two Roku's - - a Roku 4 in my man cave (1080P) and a Roku Stick in our bedroom (4K - no HDR). Knock-knock, but they both work flawlessly. Not the current and latest Roku version - Premium/Ultra. From reading all these forums - - I find that many of the problems are related to HDMI/HDCP and especially when you have an AVR in the middle - - even if it is has the newer HDMI ports.

The other factor is your internet speed. I have Comcast Cable at 180 mbps down and 25 mbps up - - wireless connection. Also - - my 4K Vizio TV has internal apps, including Amazon Prime, but honestly, most of the 4K (UHD) material that I've watched doesn't look all that great. In fact, my cable signal at 720P, upscaled by the TV, looks fantastic and better than most of the 4K offerings from Amazon Prime! I have seen great 4K material but only short snippets from some demo material - - which leads me to believe that a lot of issues are source/content related, as well. And - my Roku Stick provides a better picture with Amazon Prime than my native Vizio app - go figure. Roku also provides the most variety of streaming channels available today. (Check out "Walter Presents," with top notch dramas from all over Europe! Highly recommended - - especially the Norwegian series Valkyrien. Subtitled, of course, but well worth it.)

I believe the Roku platform is the most cost effective, streaming option out there today. Maybe I'm a simpleton but the menu's are very easy to navigate and finding what I want to watch is very easy. They will solve the current issues - - I really believe that. Just make sure that it's a Roku problem first and eliminate everything else before declaring it's a Roku issue.
jsmiddleton4 likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #4053 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So it seems like it's a common issue that the Roku Premiere+ is outputting 2ch PCM instead of 5.1 DD+ with apps like Netflix and Vudu? I'm on version 7.5.1 (I believe) and not sure which build number, but I can confirm later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4054 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 06:59 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
The Shield certainly has some advantages over a Roku, most notably support for almost all video and audio codecs, and the ability to bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS MasterAudio via DLNA. But before you jump into that more expensive pool, I suggest reading through the Shield forum here. There still seems to be some issues with it as well, and you might be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Another option of course is the Amazon Fire TV. They do have a 4K version, although at the moment it doesn't support HDR. I haven't heard if it's coming to that box or not. It also of course doesn't have the multitude of available apps/channels, so for both the Fire TV and the Shield make sure they have the ones that are important to you.

My personal opinion, for what that's worth is that Roku will get these issues resolved and the Premium/Ultra players will become stable and become the leader in the field. But, I've been wrong before.
HDR isn't coming to the FireTV box. It's also only limited to no higher than 2160P30 output.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4055 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
RE: "My personal opinion, for what that's worth is that Roku will get these issues resolved and the Premium/Ultra players will become stable and become the leader in the field. But, I've been wrong before."

I think that sums it up pretty well. I have two Roku's - - a Roku 4 in my man cave (1080P) and a Roku Stick in our bedroom (4K - no HDR). Knock-knock, but they both work flawlessly. Not the current and latest Roku version - Premium/Ultra. From reading all these forums - - I find that many of the problems are related to HDMI/HDCP and especially when you have an AVR in the middle - - even if it is has the newer HDMI ports.

The other factor is your internet speed. I have Comcast Cable at 180 mbps down and 25 mbps up - - wireless connection. Also - - my 4K Vizio TV has internal apps, including Amazon Prime, but honestly, most of the 4K (UHD) material that I've watched doesn't look all that great. In fact, my cable signal at 720P, upscaled by the TV, looks fantastic and better than most of the 4K offerings from Amazon Prime! I have seen great 4K material but only short snippets from some demo material - - which leads me to believe that a lot of issues are source/content related, as well. And - my Roku Stick provides a better picture with Amazon Prime than my native Vizio app - go figure. Roku also provides the most variety of streaming channels available today. (Check out "Walter Presents," with top notch dramas from all over Europe! Highly recommended - - especially the Norwegian series Valkyrien. Subtitled, of course, but well worth it.)

I believe the Roku platform is the most cost effective, streaming option out there today. Maybe I'm a simpleton but the menu's are very easy to navigate and finding what I want to watch is very easy. They will solve the current issues - - I really believe that. Just make sure that it's a Roku problem first and eliminate everything else before declaring it's a Roku issue.
I think it might help to give a little background of what my primary reason for even a Roku has been.

Initially it was for a TV replacement. Roku had apps (channels) for a lot of the Christian networks I watch such TBN CBN, and a couple other ministry specific apps.

As time has progressed many of these apps have become available cross platform for example I have all the major ones on AppleTV now, and iOS. I have a good percentage on the TV's android interface. I also have many popular apps on Xbox as well.

I think if I were to ditch Roku now, the only app I would not get in 4k from the android interface is VUDU last time I checked they hadn't upgraded that version to support 4k. The xbox does though. So for me, it's really just picking which device I have that will work the best all around.
post #4056 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I have to go to Walmart today to pick up a few groceries, so I'll check their selection of cables to see if they have a correctly certified cable. The ones I got there last year were between 12 and 15 bucks, and with the listed price of the amazon basics cable I looked at linked here, I figure with shipping and tax, they will be pretty close in price.....

I'm willing to look at new cables just to make sure, but I feel at this point if I need to spend something it might be better spent on a new platform all together for streaming. I've heard people here mention getting a Nvidia Shield. Since the TV already runs android TV wouldn't I already have what I would get in an external android based streaming box? Just trying to make the right choice so I don't end up in a spending loop to trying to fix these glitches.....
Good cabling is critical and not very expensive for the vital role it plays in modern video systems. The Nvidia Shield will equire good cabling as well. I'm strongly suggest ordering these
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427 since they are certified and the Amazon Basics latest spec aren't officially. I have both, the Monoprice is thicker but both work for me.

Edit: Generally you can buy Monoprice cables on Amazon and get Prime shipping but the price is a little higher.

Last edited by naustin; 05-01-2017 at 09:36 AM.
post #4057 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Good cabling is critical and not very expensive for the vital role it plays in modern video systems. The Nvidia Shield will equire good cabling as well. I'm strongly suggest ordering these
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427 since they are certified and the Amazon Basics latest spec aren't officially. I have both, the Monoprice is thicker but both work for me.
I ordered 1 6ft cable from mono price the link took me to as 3ft would be too short. I only got one because the Roku is the only HDR / 4k device giving me issues. So I figured I'll try one if I still have the glitches it's software. and I have a new cable I know has the right specs. Also decided to pay a little more for shipping but I still kept the price under 12 bucks which the ones I got last year cost from Walmart.

Will let you know if the cable makes a difference when it comes, or if it's Roku's software causing the problem.

Thanks again!
post #4058 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also note those are available on Amazon (both ships/sold by Amazon and via Monoprice). So for those looking to get them with Prime can.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cer...dp/B01GCGKI3O/

-Kevin
post #4059 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I ordered 1 6ft cable from mono price the link took me to as 3ft would be too short. I only got one because the Roku is the only HDR / 4k device giving me issues. So I figured I'll try one if I still have the glitches it's software. and I have a new cable I know has the right specs. Also decided to pay a little more for shipping but I still kept the price under 12 bucks which the ones I got last year cost from Walmart.

Will let you know if the cable makes a difference when it comes, or if it's Roku's software causing the problem.

Thanks again!
I am going to edit my post. You can also buy Monoprice via Amazon but the price is a little higher. Good luck!
post #4060 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 10:40 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Also note those are available on Amazon (both ships/sold by Amazon and via Monoprice). So for those looking to get them with Prime can.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cer...dp/B01GCGKI3O/

-Kevin
That's a far cry from the normal $4.50 price. Or the under $3.50 price I paid for my six foot ones from Monoprice. I wait until there is a 25% to 30% off coupon at Monoprice. Then I will order a bunch of things. So far I have several dozen of the Premium Ceritfied Cables from Monoprice. Even the 10' ones cost me under $4 each.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4061 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That's a far cry from the normal $4.50 price. Or the under $3.50 price I paid for my six foot ones from Monoprice. I wait until there is a 25% to 30% off coupon at Monoprice. Then I will order a bunch of things. So far I have several dozen of the Premium Ceritfied Cables from Monoprice. Even the 10' ones cost me under $4 each.
I wasn't saying you have to order via Amazon.....just thought I'd just let people know that Amazon offered them, especially if they needed them quicker than paying Monoprice's express shipping charges.

-Kevin
Rudy1, jsmiddleton4 and naustin like this.
post #4062 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
"I ordered 1 6 foot...."

Well if you are going to an AVR and from the AVR to a display I'd recommend you get 2. The two-way communication from the display is part of the equation. IF going directly to the display 1 will be fine for a test.
post #4063 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
"I ordered 1 6 foot...."

Well if you are going to an AVR and from the AVR to a display I'd recommend you get 2. The two-way communication from the display is part of the equation. IF going directly to the display 1 will be fine for a test.
If that was directed to me, All my devices connect directly to the TV, and then the TV is connected to the sound bar.
post #4064 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
.... Putting Roku aside here for a minute, from my understanding the 4K blu-ray format is [email protected] with HDR. I don't have a stand alone 4k BDP, but an Xbox One S. Since I am able to watch a 4k disc, and one with HDR without problems, does this mean my current cables already support the standards I need? I don't want to confuse Roku's buggy software with needing to buy a new cable, if what I already bought last year is correct....
Is your X1S video set to 4k, 60Hz, 12 bit and color space Auto? Which HDR disc worked? You are certain it was HDR10 not auto down scaled? Additional troubleshooting can be found on the XBS1 forum. Good luck.
post #4065 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is your X1S video set to 4k, 60Hz, 12 bit and color space Auto? Which HDR disc worked? You are certain it was HDR10 not auto down scaled? Additional troubleshooting can be found on the XBS1 forum. Good luck.

Yes the X1S is set to 4k, 12 bit is enabled I have 3 blu-rays that are HDR, and one game (Forza Horizon 3)

the three discs are Star Trek Beyond, Storks, and The Secret life of pets.

In addition to physical media, the Netflix app on X1s also displays HDR and UHD content and plays without issues, VUDU on the X1s also plays UHD titles. If you want additional info, the TV also has an HDR badge that shows up on the picture settings screen, when HDR is active, which it does. Even with the Roku, HDR and 4k content works in Netflix, VUDU, etc. the HDCP errors only showed up on the first attempt to play any video after a fresh restart, or if the unit is idle for a while sometimes the unit will crash to an HDCP error when trying to play any content regardless of it's SD HD, or UHD ,etc and it doesn't even have to be protected content to get errors.

That's why I'm still holding to software bugs with the Roku because there is no logic behind how it acts, or when it acts up. You can't seriously classify it as a bandwidth problem when the unit randomly does the same stuff when it's set to a 1080p display.

Hopefully this will clarify what's going on. I am willing to try a new cable which I have ordered just in case, but at this point I doubt it's a cable issue, but I'll see when the new cable comes for sure.
post #4066 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes the X1S is set to 4k, 12 bit is enabled I have 3 blu-rays that are HDR, and one game (Forza Horizon 3)

the three discs are Star Trek Beyond, Storks, and The Secret life of pets.

In addition to physical media, the Netflix app on X1s also displays HDR and UHD content and plays without issues, VUDU on the X1s also plays UHD titles. If you want additional info, the TV also has an HDR badge that shows up on the picture settings screen, when HDR is active, which it does....
That does clarify things a bit. You don't get crashes on restarts or long idles on your XBS1 when in the same situations as the Roku? As an aside, on my Hopper3 Satelite box, I would occassionaly get HDCP errors going directly from SD channels (720p) to 4K channels or the builtin Netflix (4K). My TV was choking on the drastically different handshake. I haven't tried any 720p content on my Roku or FireTV.

I don't use CEC, I power on my TV then I power/activate the input device I want to watch.
post #4067 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I will add in that I am having issues as well with HDR as well. I can get 4k but no HDR. Although the 4k is flaky.

Roku-->Pioneer SC-95-->Sony 65-X930D

Previous firmware had no issues other than the audio chirp. I didnt change any cables (all premium certified) or hardware). Just the firmware on the roku changed.

I just got a Sony 4k UHD player (UBP-X800). HDR works fine using both a disc and Netflix using the same cables and inputs as the roku.

I think something is just wrong with the firmware which seems to the case with the high-end roku models.
post #4068 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuck View Post
I will add in that I am having issues as well with HDR as well. I can get 4k but no HDR. Although the 4k is flaky.

Roku-->Pioneer SC-95-->Sony 65-X930D

Previous firmware had no issues other than the audio chirp. I didnt change any cables (all premium certified) or hardware). Just the firmware on the roku changed.

I just got a Sony 4k UHD player (UBP-X800). HDR works fine using both a disc and Netflix using the same cables and inputs as the roku.

I think something is just wrong with the firmware which seems to the case with the high-end roku models.
Had the same problem, Ultra-Pio SC97-Sony 75z9d. Exchanged the player for a new unit and the problem disappeared. The old unit would pass all the tests but then showed no picture. Setting to 4K without HDR would restore picture. This happened after the last firmware. Something is causing the HDMI handshaking to fail.
TheStuck likes this.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #4069 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Had the same problem, Ultra-Pio SC97-Sony 75z9d. Exchanged the player for a new unit and the problem disappeared. The old unit would pass all the tests but then showed no picture. Setting to 4K without HDR would restore picture. This happened after the last firmware. Something is causing the HDMI handshaking to fail.
Just curious - before you exchanged, did you ever try to factory reset the Roku? Wondering if it was corrupt software on the old box somehow?

Glad you got it fixed at least.

I really think Roku engineering is having a tough time with the HDMI handshaking and HDR. Seems other players are far less picky than the Roku's.

-Kevin
post #4070 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That does clarify things a bit. You don't get crashes on restarts or long idles on your XBS1 when in the same situations as the Roku? As an aside, on my Hopper3 Satelite box, I would occassionaly get HDCP errors going directly from SD channels (720p) to 4K channels or the builtin Netflix (4K). My TV was choking on the drastically different handshake. I haven't tried any 720p content on my Roku or FireTV.

I don't use CEC, I power on my TV then I power/activate the input device I want to watch.
The X1S is rock solid, the only time I've had an issue is if it's in sleep mode and the power blinks real quick, the power supply requires the plug to be pulled to reset, but that's the only issue I've had with it.

With the Roku it usually has issues during idle time, sometimes it will wake and crash, then reboot, then I get the HDCP error screen before video comes back on any channel. The other thing it will do is it will go to a solid purple HDCP error, and I'll have to hit the home button to exit the channel. Under normal operation, most channels you can just hit back in to back out one level at time.

There is also one other IMPORTANT factor when the Roku goes into a solid HDCP error screen, where the remote doesn't function normally, the power has to be pulled, or I have to hit home and restart. No cable disconnect/ reconnect, or tv power cycling fixes that. only a full Roku system reset. which sounds to me like software.

Also to clarify the random solid HDCP error that requires a full Roku system restart, or power cycle has been around since I've owned a 4k compatible Roku. The memory error that flashes and the video comes back (usually only after a system restart) and playing video the firs time, has shown up for me ever since the 7.6 line of updates.

Hope this adds the rest of the situation clarity.

So to sum up, I can access content just fine, but the ROKU is unstable when it comes to system stability.
post #4071 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yeah I saw your other posts. Im going to wait it out as I got mine from Roku directly when they came out. Seems every other firmware causes major issues with HDR.
post #4072 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Just curious - before you exchanged, did you ever try to factory reset the Roku? Wondering if it was corrupt software on the old box somehow?

Glad you got it fixed at least.

I really think Roku engineering is having a tough time with the HDMI handshaking and HDR. Seems other players are far less picky than the Roku's.

-Kevin
Yes, I did a factory reset, pressing the key under the unit. I also changed cables , different brands but all rated to 18Gz. After passing the DEVICE TYPE check, including HDR, I got a blank screen and not the one to confirm the settings as it should. Leaving it at 4k (non HDR) would work. One think I noticed, after passing the device type check, there was a small "click"on the receiver, typical of a handshaking issue and that's when I decided to exchange it. New unit working fine so far, I had one "chirp" watching Netflix but I can live with that.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #4073 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The X1S is rock solid, the only time I've had an issue is if it's in sleep mode and the power blinks real quick, the power supply requires the plug to be pulled to reset, but that's the only issue I've had with it....
I'd say you got a defective Ultra, but you have the same issues with your Premier+. Maybe the next firmware will help. Good luck.
post #4074 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I did a factory reset, pressing the key under the unit. I also changed cables , different brands but all rated to 18Gz. After passing the DEVICE TYPE check, including HDR, I got a blank screen and not the one to confirm the settings as it should. Leaving it at 4k (non HDR) would work. One think I noticed, after passing the device type check, there was a small "click"on the receiver, typical of a handshaking issue and that's when I decided to exchange it. New unit working fine so far, I had one "chirp" watching Netflix but I can live with that.
Good to know, thanks for the info. Glad you were able to get a working unit. Just cross your fingers for the next update

I guess I've been lucky in the HDR dept. so far with my setup. Only occasionally have I had the purple screen and so far only in Amazon. I have plenty of chirps and overall the box has gotten more and more unstable. I'm running the Amazon basics right now.

-Kevin
post #4075 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd say you got a defective Ultra, but you have the same issues with your Premier+. Maybe the next firmware will help. Good luck.
My thinking too since two different models have the identical issues. I would most likely look at it being software

Just FYI: I put the 4K HDR copy of storks in the X1s and brought up the info in the blu-ray player app. Here are the following which I think are important to confirm it's working correctly:

the codec on the disc was HEVC
the resolution it was playing at was 2160p
the data stream was staying around 75 Mbps
when I hit the TV's picture settings the HDR badge was lit up for that HDMI connection.
The audio track being played was the DTS HD MA

The HDMI cable being used is the one Microsoft included with the X1S, and recommends for best results.

So I think I'm good and just need to wait for Roku to stabilize their OS.
post #4076 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Just FYI: I put the 4K HDR copy of storks in the X1s and brought up the info in the blu-ray player app. Here are the following which I think are important to confirm it's working correctly:

the codec on the disc was HEVC
the resolution it was playing at was 2160p
the data stream was staying around 75 Mbps
when I hit the TV's picture settings the HDR badge was lit up for that HDMI connection.
The audio track being played was the DTS HD MA
Does the XBox support HD audio bitstreaming? That would be interesting as a media streamer for me. I would love to get my TrueHD and MasterAudio tracks in bitstream to my AVR. It seems the Blu Ray players are pulling that function away. My Sony does Dolby TrueHD but not DTS MasterAudio. The last Sony player I had did them both. Even Oppo doesn't stream them both from their latest players.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #4077 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My thinking too since two different models have the identical issues. I would most likely look at it being software....
In the meantime give the new certified cable a try.
post #4078 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Does the XBox support HD audio bitstreaming? That would be interesting as a media streamer for me. I would love to get my TrueHD and MasterAudio tracks in bitstream to my AVR. It seems the Blu Ray players are pulling that function away. My Sony does Dolby TrueHD but not DTS MasterAudio. The last Sony player I had did them both. Even Oppo doesn't stream them both from their latest players.
@atc98092 Microsoft was supposed to enable that in a firmware / software patch this year. I can't test for sure though because I only have 2.1 audio for the setup.
post #4079 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In the meantime give the new certified cable a try.

According to MoniPrice it's supposed to be here by the 4th since I spent a bit extra to have it sent faster.

I'll be able to tell you then if it's a cable issue or software issue for sure.
post #4080 of 11896 Old 05-01-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
MS recently added direct bitstreaming of audio from BDs on Xbox One S; they're supposed to be adding an option for it for games and apps. Which games and apps will take advantage of that is unknown. They primarily added the ability to support object-based audio formats (primarily Atmos and DTS:X); they cannot internally decode those. All other Dolby and DTS formats, including TrueHD and DTS-HD MA they could decode internally and render as multichannel LPCM (optionally lossy basic DD or basic DTS), mixing in any sounds from the Xbox UI.

I don't know whether any DLNA streamer or file player will use this to pass HD audio through in encoded form to your AVR. At $300 it's an awfully pricey streamer (of course, it is also a UHD BDP and game console if you have a use for those capabilities).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page