Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9965Likes

post #4201 of 11924 Old 05-05-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
That's okay it's season 2 episode 10 right at the beginning of that episode, I just tried it now and wouldn't you know it no issues. Sorry for wasting your time. Seems fixed now and I'm running 4:2:2
No problem. I checked Season 2, 10 but I could not get the pre-credits intro. Sometimes that happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 11924 Old 05-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemathre View Post
I have exactly the same issue on my Ultra. I opened a support ticket with Roku several weeks ago. The case was supposedly escalated, but since then I have heard nothing from Roku support. Whenever I ask about the status, I get a canned response that upper level support is still working on the issue. I have pretty much lost hope.
Ok,I got mine working now..

I had to enable Enhanced mode on my Sony>redo the Roku display option and make sure it says HDR 60fps (Netflix HDR only works if your setting can accept HDR 60fps) prior I was only getting 4K HDR 30fps....Once you see that the Roku can accept a HDR 60fps signal....delete and reselect the Netflix app and then the HDR tags should be there....

At the bottom of the Roku support page is where I got my answer,section What should I do...

https://support.roku.com/article/235...g-hdr-content-

Sony OLED XBR-65A1E| XBR65X950B|XBR55X900B|2-BR100/Subs|4K X10 Player
Denon - X7200WA|Roku Ultra 4k|PS4
Mirage Omnisat V2 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos set up with SVS PB2000 Sub
post #4203 of 11924 Old 05-05-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post
Ok,I got mine working now..

I had to enable Enhanced mode on my Sony>redo the Roku display option and make sure it says HDR 60fps (Netflix HDR only works if your setting can accept HDR 60fps) prior I was only getting 4K HDR 30fps....Once you see that the Roku can accept a HDR 60fps signal....delete and reselect the Netflix app and then the HDR tags should be there....

At the bottom of the Roku support page is where I got my answer,section What should I do...

https://support.roku.com/article/235...g-hdr-content-
I actually had more issues with Netflix and 4k with the Vizio TV I had before I got the Sony. I gave the Vizio to my sister and her family because they needed a new TV. With that TV, the first Ultra I tried would randomly flash strange colors and crash. It was a better TV for my sister because they just use it for cable I think. They haven't had any issues with it since I gave it to them for Christmas last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 11924 Old 05-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post
when i'm missing that row of 4K i just go into the setting and relaunch Netflix then it appears. depending on you internet speed some shows may not ramp up to the highest resolution quickly or ever, but i' can't say for sure. plus some 4K stuff isn't all that 4K looking.
True but I know all the tricks you mentioned. I give it 10 minutes sometimes even though I'm getting 70-80 Mps on that location. Time is about to run out. Are most happy with Roku 4K Premiere Plus?

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #4205 of 11924 Old 05-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Is there any chance for YouTube HDR to be supported?
post #4206 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csbooth View Post
Is there any chance for YouTube HDR to be supported?

The last I heard, was only chrome cast ultra supports youtube HDR. Hopefully that's changed now. Since it's google's platform, it's their call.
post #4207 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 05:18 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9320 Post(s)
Liked: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
The last I heard, was only chrome cast ultra supports youtube HDR. Hopefully that's changed now. Since it's google's platform, it's their call.
My Sony X800 UHD BD player also supports YouTube HDR.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4208 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Watched my digital copy of The Book of Eli last night off VUDU. Volume LOUD. First one I've noticed that has this volume thing. It was really loud......
post #4209 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 05:57 AM

"My Main Library is In Vudu with my UV digital copies plus if I purchase anything, i tend to Keep it in Vudu for ease of having it all in one place."

I used to bash VUDU/UV/Digital copy stuff. Honestly I had only messed with it a little bit for my conclusion. So I went for it looking for a Plex like replacement. Adding a bunch and really using it I changed my mind completely. For how I used Plex and remote access to my movies for family, remote on mobile devices, etc., VUDU is way better and stable. My upload bandwidth is no longer a factor.

Since I always practiced the rule of owning any movies I archived to put on my Plex server I had a ton of digital redemption codes.

VUDU doesn't have the hardware cost, NAS storage and conversion to digital copy need, nor technical variables, Internet access speeds, that are part of the logistics to use. I highly recommend VUDU and on the ROKU it works great. I've used it on my Sony BDP6700. On the ROKU, not the BDP6700, I get Dolby Atmos for some of my HDX streams too despite what some folks think in the Sony X800 forum. Other than the difference in audio options they seem the same to me.

MLB.COM streaming better on the ROKU than the Apple TV or the Sony BDPS6700. MLB.COM is faster and clearer on the ROKU. VUDU seems about the same.

I don't use my ROKU if I want the best of the best sir. I use the disk and my bluray player. IF I had UHD disks and a 4K player I'd follow the same practice. I'd not be trying to get the best of the best sir for UHD/DV/HDR/HD Audio/etc. off any streaming service.

But for general watching, remote viewing, the ROKU and VUDU are perfect.

Someone mentioned Amazon doing Ultraviolet. I'm not sure that can even happen. UV manages digital rights. Someone like VUDU manages the digital copy and our access to it. While similar they are different. I'm thinking apples to apples would be Amazon letting us link our Amazon Prime Library to VUDU like Paramount, Sony, Fox, etc., do. Would love to see that but not counting on it. Bezo needs our money to build his same day delivery pod on the moon.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 05-06-2017 at 06:04 AM.
post #4210 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My Sony X800 UHD BD player also supports YouTube HDR.
I have a Sony android based TV. I wonder if they added support for HDR and youtube. It would make sense, since it's android based and has chrome cast built in.
post #4211 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Also my Samsung KS9000 was updated last year to support HDR in YouTube.....so I don't see why the Roku couldn't be updated as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Someone mentioned Amazon doing Ultraviolet. I'm not sure that can even happen. UV manages digital rights. Someone like VUDU manages the digital copy and our access to it. While similar they are different. I'm thinking apples to apples would be Amazon letting us link our Amazon Prime Library to VUDU like Paramount, Sony, Fox, etc., do. Would love to see that but not counting on it. Bezo needs our money to build his same day delivery pod on the moon.
That was me. If Amazon were to join UV (which there were rumors back in 2014 that never came to pass) then they would simply be another provider of UV enabled titles, like Vudu, FandangoNow, CinemaNow.....and you would be able to stream all your current UV titles on Amazon. UV is great in principal in that once you redeem a UV code, the rights to that movie are yours forever in your UV locker. Great - as long as there are providers to stream it. Right now Vudu is far and above the #1, at least in the US. FandangoNow is decent, but there are still a lot of mismatched UV IDs between the two where a UV movie would show up in Vudu but not in FN. One place where FN is getting better is HDR10. They have some of their UHD titles in HDR10 where Vudu still doesn't (Jason Bourne and Secret Life of Pets are two examples). And with a FN app on Roku it's great to switch over and watch those with HDR. But honestly, I don't really ever believe Amazon would join UV - they don't really like competition as much as they like to crush the competition

IMO Vudu rocks. HDX and UHD quality is really good. D2D was a huge plus for me to build my library up of older titles. Buying codes also allowed me to build up my library much cheaper.

-Kevin

Last edited by kbmb; 05-06-2017 at 07:47 AM.
post #4212 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Gotcha, thanks!
post #4213 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wanted to confirm that for me at least resetting the display type on a fresh reboot of the Roku on the 4K TV solves the HDCP errors. Suffered a brief power outage this morning, and when everything came back on tested the Roku on the 4k TV and got the usual purple screen before the video came back. This didn't happen when resetting the display type first before playing something after a reboot.
post #4214 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just made a discovery that may really help track down the HDCP errors As mentioned, when I reboot the Roku and try to play video of any kind right after the reboot, the HDCP error screen appears probably about 5 seconds before the video comes back. When I reset the display after a reboot before playing anything, it takes the same 5 seconds before the green check is placed in the HDCP 2.2 detection. Usually they're all instant.

It looks like the Roku is having issues with locking into HDCP 2.2 mode and that's what's causing the issue.
post #4215 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
For the guys ordering new premium certified HDMI cables for the audio chirping issue, you may be in for relief.

I had recalled an earlier post about my HDMI cable being an Amazon Basic 18 Ghz cable but not one of the recent certified premium ones. I said I'd replace it if issues arose but most complaints then were HDCP handshake and random purple screen issues which I didn't have. I hadn't been listening to headphones then but forgot all about it when the audio issues showed up later. Most audio issues were through headphones for me but I didn't listen through headphones much when I first got the Ultra.

I found some posts about branded cables and one user even had same TV and Roku Ultra player. I messaged him and he was happy to reply with cable used his setup and indicated he didn't have my issues.

I ordered cable and it arrived today. Listened for 1H22minutes without a single audio chirp so far. Sadly, I had one black screen with dropout of video and audio but the cable ISP thinks I have a bad line coming in house causing latency and sync issues. I need a service call. We'll see.

Encouraged by the results. I'll continue testing and may have to edit some of my older posts of disappointment. Glad I finally recalled the older cable used and replaced it.

I ordered the BJC Series-FE Bonded-Pair High-Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet, 2 foot, Black from Amazon Prime to get it quicker. Surprised 2 feet was nearly too short but it's installed and appears to have met my expectations.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
To follow up on your post, since installing the two Monoprice certified cables, it seems my chirps have been replaced by audio dropouts. So far no chirping in Vudu but instead quick audio dropouts. Frequency hasn't really changed.

Annoyed.

-Kevin
post #4216 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 10:12 AM

"D2D was a huge plus for me to build my library up of older titles."

When VUDUGO works. I find it to be very unstable.

"Buying codes also allowed me to build up my library much cheaper. "

Is that legit and if so how do you do so?
post #4217 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Someone mentioned Amazon doing Ultraviolet. I'm not sure that can even happen. UV manages digital rights. Someone like VUDU manages the digital copy and our access to it. While similar they are different.

Conceptually they are identical. Amazon w/o UV is no different from VUDU w/o UV and Amazon with UV would be no different from VUDU with UV, vis-a-vis UV content. Amazon, like VUDU, is part of Disney Movies Anywhere, as are iTunes, Google Play, VUDU, Microsoft and Verizon FiOS; I have accounts for all of these except FiOS. I can go to any of the apps that I have for those services on any of my devices and play any of the 3 DMA titles that I own (Wreck It Ralph, Monsters, Inc., and Star Wars: The Force Awakens; I think that the first two were promo gifts). If Amazon were to join UV I could play any of my selection of UV titles in their apps.
storm5m likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4218 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"D2D was a huge plus for me to build my library up of older titles."

When VUDUGO works. I find it to be very unstable.

"Buying codes also allowed me to build up my library much cheaper. "

Is that legit and if so how do you do so?
Mobile D2D has also been cool, where you can just scan a barcode instead of dealing with their crappy software.

As for legit or not, technically to the letter of the law no, since almost every code slip says not for resale. But there are plenty of Bluray collectors that have zero interest in the codes. So they sell them to offset the price and buy more blurays. There are also large Google groups that have sellers. Me I don't see an issue with it. Others might and you'd have to make that choice yourself.

-Kevin
post #4219 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
I just made a discovery that may really help track down the HDCP errors As mentioned, when I reboot the Roku and try to play video of any kind right after the reboot, the HDCP error screen appears probably about 5 seconds before the video comes back. When I reset the display after a reboot before playing anything, it takes the same 5 seconds before the green check is placed in the HDCP 2.2 detection. Usually they're all instant.

It looks like the Roku is having issues with locking into HDCP 2.2 mode and that's what's causing the issue.
Handshake issues can be tough. Are you running the latest Sony firmware? That may be different that your Android OS but I don't own a Sony. Hardware is constantly evolving. Good luck.
post #4220 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
To follow up on your post, since installing the two Monoprice certified cables, it seems my chirps have been replaced by audio dropouts. So far no chirping in Vudu but instead quick audio dropouts. Frequency hasn't really changed.

Annoyed.

-Kevin
Follow up, we are watching our second movie and the chirps are back with no audio dropouts.

-Kevin
post #4221 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Handshake issues can be tough. Are you running the latest Sony firmware? That may be different that your Android OS but I don't own a Sony. Hardware is constantly evolving. Good luck.
Yes android, and Sony's firmware are both up to date. My purpose of posting my findings was to say I've identified the problem and have found a solid workaround for it until Roku fixes the bugs in their software.

The good news is, this step isn't required, on wakeup from sleep mode, only on a fresh startup of the Roku. This means as long as the Roku doesn't crash, or have to be rebooted, it is solid until the next time. it needs a fresh start. While this means for me, it's a minor fix, there are other people having more, or worse issues than me, who haven't been able to work around them. Roku still has work to do, to fix it for everyone.
post #4222 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does the movie or show has to have HDR too to get the full benefit?
post #4223 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
Does the movie or show has to have HDR too to get the full benefit?
Not sure what you mean by too. If the movie or show isn't created with HDR, then any 4K TV will display it at SDR. To view HDR, both the media and everything in the HDMI chain must support 4K HDR. If the TV doesn't support it, you see SDR. If your AVR doesn't support HDR content, then it will only passthrough SDR (assuming it even passes standard 4K).

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #4224 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Hey all,

I just upgraded my Roku Premiere to a Premiere Plus so I could start streaming some HDR shows now that my setup is ready to go for HDR (LG OLED C6 and Anthem MRX 520). However, I'm having random video drop out issues and even some scrambled looking pictures when the Roku is set to 4k UHD/HDR under Display settings. Even if I'm just watching a regular old Netflix stream. And sometimes when I do a different activity, like play Xbox One or watch a UHD on my Oppo, and then switch back to watching Roku, the Roku won't show any picture and my Anthem says "No signal" until I hard reset the Roku. The weird thing is once I get the Roku working, it works 100% while I am using it. But the moment I switch to a different activity or turn off my TV and try to come back to the Roku, the issues above happen. It's almost like some weird type of handshake issue. All other UHD/HDR devices work fine (Xbox One S, Oppo 203, Anthem MRX 520). And all of my HDMI cables are "Certified Premium" from Monoprice. It's only when using the Roku.

I did buy a "Certified Refurbished" unit off of Amazon. Not sure if it's the unit being defective or if there are known hiccups with the 4k UHD/HDR output.

Thanks!
post #4225 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Not sure what you mean by too. If the movie or show isn't created with HDR, then any 4K TV will display it at SDR. To view HDR, both the media and everything in the HDMI chain must support 4K HDR. If the TV doesn't support it, you see SDR. If your AVR doesn't support HDR content, then it will only passthrough SDR (assuming it even passes standard 4K).
So if my tv and avr is HDR but the Netflix streaming movie or non HDR dvd disc is not, then I'm watching SDR correct?
post #4226 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
So if my tv and avr is HDR but the Netflix streaming movie or non HDR dvd disc is not, then I'm watching SDR correct?
This is correct. On the Roku platform, all Netflix HDR titles are clearly marked "HDR". Here is a link to a list, provided by member Musician in post number 21771, of the current shows in the Canada/USA markets:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post52326201

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #4227 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
So I decided to just order a brand new Premiere Plus and send the refurbished one back. We'll see how it goes.
post #4228 of 11924 Old 05-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
4K can look much better than 1080P without HDR. That's my issue that no one addressed; no handshake issue because of Latest Minoprice cable going straight to TV. Some Netflix 4K shows play in 4K and some don't. Don't know why I'm not getting prominent row of UHD or 4K but can find then via search. My MBR is non HDR model. Living room is vizio hDR model.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #4229 of 11924 Old 05-07-2017, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick Question, does anyone here use an SD card to expand the Roku's Storage? I have a few, but since I don't use the Roku for gaming not sure how much difference they make I have 2 8 GB and a 16 GB microSD card. I had bought the 16 GB when i first upgraded to 4k thinking it would need extra storage, which now doesn't seem true. Since the streaming stick works fine with all the channels I have, and it doesn't even have an expansion slot option. So am I correct in coming to the conclusion, the others don't need a card either ?

Thanks
storm5m likes this.
post #4230 of 11924 Old 05-07-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
The SD card serves solely to add space for storage of channel (app) code. Some people keep hundreds of them installed; eventually it will have to pause to reload rarely used channels from the network if it doesn't have enough memory to hold all of them. I keep less than 40 installed and have seen this happen once or twice.

For this purpose 1GB is probably overkill.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page