Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 164 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9681Likes

post #4891 of 11497 Old 06-09-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
If it comes this Fall. Will it be HDR or just 4K., way to many variables.

If you want cheap 4K buy an Amazon FireTV for 89 USD and get Alexa in the remote.
I was going to try a MiBox but when it went looking for one my local Walmart no longer has them in stock. People were saying that was a good 4K HDR experience at low cost and it's android tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 11497 Old 06-09-2017, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi everyone, just got my 675es installed yesterday. Playing around with the settings and I am not able to get HDR in Netflix from Roku ultra(through maranta sr7011). I can only get 4K but not HDR in Netflix. In Amazon 4K HDR works fine. Not sure if the problem is with Netflix or roku or the projector. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.
post #4893 of 11497 Old 06-09-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdhina View Post
Hi everyone, just got my 675es installed yesterday. Playing around with the settings and I am not able to get HDR in Netflix from Roku ultra(through maranta sr7011). I can only get 4K but not HDR in Netflix. In Amazon 4K HDR works fine. Not sure if the problem is with Netflix or roku or the projector. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I would suggest you bypass the AVR and connect directly to the projector if possible...you could always run Toslink to the AVR for Dolby Digital and DTS audio support. If this is not an option for you, contact Marantz to find out if there's a particular setting that you need to adjust to allow the HDR10 signal to pass through. And of course, if you haven't already make sure all of your cables are certified for 18Gbps. I hope you get this worked out...you've got some very nice gear!

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4894 of 11497 Old 06-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
As far as I know only HDMI port number one supports HDR10 on the 2016 M series. Even though the specs read 2.0 there was a firmware upgrade on about Aug 1st the allowed for HDR10.

See post number 911 in the 2016 M series thread. The poster was getting HDR10 with what was called at the time sub sampling on.
I have the 2016 M series with a Ruku Ultra going through my Onkyo NR-545 and am getting Amazon 4K HDR going through without a problem. I did need to go into the secret menu to change the color settings to get the HDR to work though
post #4895 of 11497 Old 06-09-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quick question scanned and found nothing. Will the roku besides 4kuhd pass dd+Atmos directly into the samsung k950 sb? It does with vudu. Sofar great eith 4k but no atmos
post #4896 of 11497 Old 06-09-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4419 Post(s)
Liked: 5721
Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Quick question scanned and found nothing. Will the roku besides 4kuhd pass dd+Atmos directly into the samsung k950 sb? It does with vudu. Sofar great eith 4k but no atmos
The Roku's Vudu app provides lossy Atmos audio on most of its UHD titles. Unfortunately, for those of us without Dolby Vision capability, HDR from Vudu is a non starter. so far at least, Vudu is incompatible with HDR10.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #4897 of 11497 Old 06-09-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4218 Post(s)
Liked: 2383
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
The Roku's Vudu app provides lossy Atmos audio on most of its UHD titles. Unfortunately, for those of us without Dolby Vision capability, HDR from Vudu is a non starter. so far at least, Vudu is incompatible with HDR10.
Dolby Atmos is only offered in about 36 out of around 102 Vudu UHD titles.

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#uiPage/146
aaronwt likes this.

lujan
503 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #4898 of 11497 Old 06-09-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Dolby Atmos is only offered in about 36 out of around 102 Vudu UHD titles.

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#uiPage/146
Yeah, there are a number of UHD HDR disks that don't have TrueHD Atmos soundtracks. For the digital rights to those disks, Vudu offers only Dolby Digital+ audio.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #4899 of 11497 Old 06-09-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
I would suggest you bypass the AVR and connect directly to the projector if possible...you could always run Toslink to the AVR for Dolby Digital and DTS audio support. If this is not an option for you, contact Marantz to find out if there's a particular setting that you need to adjust to allow the HDR10 signal to pass through. And of course, if you haven't already make sure all of your cables are certified for 18Gbps. I hope you get this worked out...you've got some very nice gear!
I got Ruipro HDMI cables from Amazon which are better than the one supplied by my AV installer. Looks like I may have to live without netflix HDR for now.
post #4900 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guys I could use some feedback as I've gotten myself into a situation that's slightly out of my experience right now

As you know I got a new sound bar to deal with the random crackling issues the one I was using has As a bonus this one supports HDMI ARC which works great with my TV and the sound bar, but in order to do it I also have to give up one of my HDR compatible HDMI ports. The nice thing is now the sound bar turns on and off with hte TV automatically now, the bad thing is I've lost HDR functionality with the chrome cast as it's on a port that only supports HDR 30, and it would also affect the ROKU or any other HDR compatible device.

My question is, is audio over HDMI even 2.1 better then optical and is it possible I could get an HDR compatible HDMI switch to connect to the other port to add more ports ?

Thanks
post #4901 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Hey guys I could use some feedback as I've gotten myself into a situation that's slightly out of my experience right now

As you know I got a new sound bar to deal with the random crackling issues the one I was using has As a bonus this one supports HDMI ARC which works great with my TV and the sound bar, but in order to do it I also have to give up one of my HDR compatible HDMI ports. The nice thing is now the sound bar turns on and off with hte TV automatically now, the bad thing is I've lost HDR functionality with the chrome cast as it's on a port that only supports HDR 30, and it would also affect the ROKU or any other HDR compatible device.

My question is, is audio over HDMI even 2.1 better then optical and is it possible I could get an HDR compatible HDMI switch to connect to the other port to add more ports ?

Thanks
For a 2.1 soundbar, Optical is as good as HDMI since there isn't much lossless material available. Beware HDMI switches, most are not HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 which means they introduce all the 2015 and older AVR type HDR compatible issues, you see on these forums. To me ARC and CEC aren't worth those hassles.
post #4902 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For a 2.1 soundbar, Optical is as good as HDMI since there isn't much lossless material available. Beware HDMI switches, most are not HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 which means they introduce all the 2015 and older AVR type HDR compatible issues, you see on these forums. To me ARC and CEC aren't worth those hassles.
@naustin : Thanks for the response, I did some research on ARC while waiting for a reply, and while the sound bar turning on and off with the TV is a nice bonus, for the other changes it would require, it's not worth it . I did find a switch on amazon that says it's HDMI 2.0 and it lists HDR as supported. but at this point I'll just stick to optical as ARC won't do much else for me then add CEC support to the sound bar. According to the article I read, the author seems to hint that the lossless audio formats won't make much difference unless played on a high end receiver and speakers anyway, and most consumer gear as a whole, doesn't make a difference over the standard dolby and DTS formats. Either way it was a fun test, I saw it works well for me, but it's not practical at this point.
post #4903 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
my wife won a roku premiere+ in the latest roku giveaway, so i'm moving up from the roku 3 thread

we have never had cable and were early adapters of the original roku ''netflix player'' in late 08
this will be our 4th one in 9 yrs, while the idea is great, their box is a little less robust than i'd like to see
we typically get 3 yrs out of them, our current 3rd gen is locking up and resetting a couple times a week

current setup is 47'' samsung, hk avr1700, polk audio 5.1 surround, bluray, roku
netflix, hulu, hbogo, comedy central and nowhereman are the main apps we use

personally i think roku needs to have an on/off feature built in
glad to see the premiere+ still has an ethernet port
we'll see how long this one lasts

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #4904 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlgren View Post
my wife won a roku premiere+ in the latest roku giveaway, so i'm moving up from the roku 3 thread

we have never had cable and were early adapters of the original roku ''netflix player'' in late 08
this will be our 4th one in 9 yrs, while the idea is great, their box is a little less robust than i'd like to see
we typically get 3 yrs out of them, our current 3rd gen is locking up and resetting a couple times a week

current setup is 47'' samsung, hk avr1700, polk audio 5.1 surround, bluray, roku
netflix, hulu, hbogo, comedy central and nowhereman are the main apps we use

personally i think roku needs to have an on/off feature built in
glad to see the premiere+ still has an ethernet port
we'll see how long this one lasts
Well congrats on the ROKU . I actually like the platform, and for the most part find it stable . What has really bugged me in the last couple years, is mainly the software glitches in the newer devices that handle 4k and HDR. My stick from 2016 that is a 1080p model, with the exception of a glitch with Youtube, that was fixed, that device has been Rock solid . Ever since I disabled 1-click play on my Premiere+ it also has felt more solid. Of course, my solutions don't work for everyone, as everyone has different setups.
post #4905 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 09:27 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8896 Post(s)
Liked: 5687
Quote:
ARC and CEC can work great. It depends on the setup. IN my Setup with a Sony TV and Sony sound bar, the ARC works great with my XBOne S and PS4 pro on an HDMI 2.0a switch(i use DTS output from both systems over the ARC) and also with my ROku Ultra connected directly to the TV. Which is sending DD over the ARC.

And with CEC my sound bar has no problem turning on and off with the TV. And with my Roku Ultra with CEC, I just hit a button on the ROku remote, and it switches to the ROku Ultra input. And with all the devices I use the ARC with, the soundbar automatically switches to audio from the ARC.

Much better than dealing with optical. Sure it was great in the 90's and early 2000's. But I gave it up twelve years ago in favor of HDMI. HDMI has been a godsend. One cable for audio and video has made things so much better. Especially when you have ten to twenty devices in each setup.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-10-2017 at 09:31 AM.
post #4906 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
ARC and CEC can work great. It depends on the setup. IN my Setup with a Sony TV and Sony sound bar, the ARC works great with my XBOne S and PS4 pro on an HDMI 2.0a switch(i use DTS output from both systems over the ARC) and also with my ROku Ultra connected directly to the TV. Which is sending DD over the ARC.
It works great here as well, just need to get a switch to add more compatible ports as I loose an enhanced port when using ARC.
aaronwt likes this.
post #4907 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
ARC and CEC can work great. It depends on the setup....
Completely agree, finding a good/reliable HDMI 2.0a switch and configuring devices correctly with good cables are the keys. Using Optical is less of a hassle for someone running a 2.1 soundbar IMHO.
post #4908 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was able to fix my setup so I can have both HDR and ARC audio and CEC with the sound bar . What I did was I put the Xbox on a non enhanced port and found the HDR on blu-ray still works So was able to put the Chromecast on HDMI port 2 which is also enhanced . Plus I have the apps on the android TV interface such as netflix . Looks like it's something worth trying for a while. Maybe since most blu-ray source is in 24p, they don't require the enhanced 60 functionality to work, like streamers do. Either way, looks like I can try the latest tech options for a while now.
post #4909 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I was able to fix my setup so I can have both HDR and ARC audio and CEC with the sound bar . What I did was I put the Xbox on a non enhanced port and found the HDR on blu-ray still works So was able to put the Chromecast on HDMI port 2 which is also enhanced . Plus I have the apps on the android TV interface such as netflix . Looks like it's something worth trying for a while. Maybe since most blu-ray source is in 24p, they don't require the enhanced 60 functionality to work, like streamers do. Either way, looks like I can try the latest tech options for a while now.
I had a similar problem with not being able to get HDR content from my Roku Premiere+'s Netflix app because my Sony 940D TV couldn't do HDR at 60FPS. this despite my TV's HDMI connection being set for Enhanced. I finally solved it when I learned that my Yamaha 3060 receiver, through which I route to Roku's HDMI connection, had to be changed too. The 3060's default HDMI setting is "Mode 2," which allows HDR at 30FPS but not at 60FPS. When I made the change to Mode 1, HDR from Netflix started playing like a champ.
rjhseven likes this.

post #4910 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had a similar problem with not being able to get HDR content from my Roku Premiere+'s Netflix app because my Sony 940D TV couldn't do HDR at 60FPS. this despite my TV's HDMI connection being set for Enhanced. I finally solved it when I learned that my Yamaha 3060 receiver, through which I route to Roku's HDMI connection, had to be changed too. The 3060's default HDMI setting is "Mode 2," which allows HDR at 30FPS but not at 60FPS. When I made the change to Mode 1, HDR from Netflix started playing like a champ.
I was able to rearrange the devices to put the devices on ports I didn't;'t need the enhanced features on. After doing some research, it turns out 4k blu-ray only requires HDCP 2.2 to work, and HDR, if you want HDR. For the most part blu-ray still plays at 24p, so doesn't require an [email protected] to work. Seems to only be the streamers that currently need [email protected] to do HDR.
post #4911 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, Everyone, it took me a while but after doing some more research and checking my resources I've come up with a nice solid setup, where I can access all my content the way I want, and it seems to be working without a hitch. Here is what I've done:

Connected Devices are:
Chromecast Ultra
ROKU Premiere+
Xbox one S
Samsung sound bar via ARC

Here is what I've learned while researching. The only device that needs full access to the TV's features on an enhanced port is the Chromecast ultra.
The ROKU Premiere+ and Xbox one S give me full access to the content Intend the devices for. The ROKU can still Play VUDU 4k titles at the 4k Setting for display HDR not needed here, and so can the Xbox one.
With the Xbox One S, I can play HDR blu-rays with HDR at 24p which is the normal frame rate And games will work without issues too as non of them are native 4k. Most of what I have would most likely be 1080p 60 at max, and one or two or HDR, but they aren't 4k either.

So, at the end of the day, I have refined the setup so each device does what I need it to, and it has guidelines to function within. If need be there is also the Android TV system, which is always present.

One thing I gained from the ChromeCast thread is that I was told using ARC will also adjust itself automatically for any lipsync issues where sticking to optical would require manual adjustment, and of course the Bar goes on and off with the TV on it's own now.

I feel good about taking control of the setup and hardware, and now it's dependable.
post #4912 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Well congrats on the ROKU . I actually like the platform, and for the most part find it stable . What has really bugged me in the last couple years, is mainly the software glitches in the newer devices that handle 4k and HDR.
don't take me wrong, i like the roku player
i just think they could make it a little more robust
as i've gone thru 1 every 3 yrs for the past 9 yrs

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #4913 of 11497 Old 06-10-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlgren View Post
don't take me wrong, i like the roku player
i just think they could make it a little more robust
as i've gone thru 1 every 3 yrs for the past 9 yrs
Didn't take you wrong at all . I feel the same way. And maybe a new UI to compete more with other devices, and make it easier to write channels for. Beyond those few things it's a great device
post #4914 of 11497 Old 06-11-2017, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdhina View Post
Netflix from the Roku Ultra to the Sony 675 and 665 will not pass HDR.
I contacted Netflix and the support Rep acknowledged that every display device needs to be tested for compatibility to be able to support HDR and that my Sony 665 wasn't on the list. She said that she will pass that device on to her team to get it added.

However, if you use the Samsung K8500 UHD player Netflix app, you will get HDR. I just tested this yesterday on my Sony 665es.

So it appears to me that we need to contact Netflix to add the Roku Ultra to the HDR compatibility list for displays that can only do [email protected] It's just a matter of Netflix adding the EDID handshake info from a [email protected] device (Sony 665 or 675) to their software. You can also mention that they already have the Samsung K8500 app working with your device, so it shouldn't be very hard for them to add the Roku Ultra to their list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	2183185  
Rudy1 likes this.

Projector - Sony VPL-VW665ES TV - LG OLED55C7P
UHD Player - Oppo UDP-203 Streamer - Nvidia Shield Pro TV (2017)
AVR - Yamaha RX-A3070 HDMI Cables - Audio Quest Cinnamon 2, 8, and 10 meters
post #4915 of 11497 Old 06-11-2017, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked: 7994
Quote:
Well, Everyone, it took me a while but after doing some more research and checking my resources I've come up with a nice solid setup, where I can access all my content the way I want, and it seems to be working without a hitch. Here is what I've done:

Connected Devices are:
Chromecast Ultra
ROKU Premiere+
Xbox one S
Samsung sound bar via ARC

Here is what I've learned while researching. The only device that needs full access to the TV's features on an enhanced port is the Chromecast ultra.
The ROKU Premiere+ and Xbox one S give me full access to the content Intend the devices for. The ROKU can still Play VUDU 4k titles at the 4k Setting for display HDR not needed here, and so can the Xbox one.
With the Xbox One S, I can play HDR blu-rays with HDR at 24p which is the normal frame rate And games will work without issues too as non of them are native 4k. Most of what I have would most likely be 1080p 60 at max, and one or two or HDR, but they aren't 4k either.

So, at the end of the day, I have refined the setup so each device does what I need it to, and it has guidelines to function within. If need be there is also the Android TV system, which is always present.

One thing I gained from the ChromeCast thread is that I was told using ARC will also adjust itself automatically for any lipsync issues where sticking to optical would require manual adjustment, and of course the Bar goes on and off with the TV on it's own now.

I feel good about taking control of the setup and hardware, and now it's dependable.
Not elegant, but if it works and you don't mind the multiple devices, that's great. Isn't it too bad though that the Roku doesn't work as advertised? They should not make us jump through hoops to enable us to watch content as it was intended.
I WANT MORE and bobdevellis like this.
post #4916 of 11497 Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Not elegant, but if it works and you don't mind the multiple devices, that's great. Isn't it too bad though that the Roku doesn't work as advertised? They should not make us jump through hoops to enable us to watch content as it was intended.
@Ken Ross : it's just another example that newer isn't always better. It's not a cumbersome setup in the end. I can still use the ROKU to watch 95% of the content. The Chrome cast is the dedicated HDR streaming device that adds support for things nothing else has, and the Xbox is for 4k HDR blu-ray. Remember, I could use the Chromecast Ultra for everything because for content that doesn't have direct cast support, there is always chrome mirroring, and takin the video full screen looks no different then a direct cast. That would take it down to two devices the streamer, and the disc player. Having the direct access with a stand alone remote is nice at times though.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #4917 of 11497 Old 06-11-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FQs19 View Post
Netflix from the Roku Ultra to the Sony 675 and 665 will not pass HDR.
I contacted Netflix and the support Rep acknowledged that every display device needs to be tested for compatibility to be able to support HDR and that my Sony 665 wasn't on the list. She said that she will pass that device on to her team to get it added.

However, if you use the Samsung K8500 UHD player Netflix app, you will get HDR. I just tested this yesterday on my Sony 665es.

So it appears to me that we need to contact Netflix to add the Roku Ultra to the HDR compatibility list for displays that can only do [email protected] It's just a matter of Netflix adding the EDID handshake info from a [email protected] device (Sony 665 or 675) to their software. You can also mention that they already have the Samsung K8500 app working with your device, so it shouldn't be very hard for them to add the Roku Ultra to their list.
Thanks a lot for info and I will try to contact netflix about the issue
post #4918 of 11497 Old 06-11-2017, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
gwsat, please clarify this for me. I too have the Premiere + and a 940D set to Enhanced. (I also route through a processor, a Marantz 8802A, which may be a stumbling block because I couldn't find any place to change fps.) In order to use the P+ I have had to disable HDR, but that's why I bought it (my old Roku 4 could handle the UHD, dammit). I did scan the 940D manual (the worst ever produced by a major manufacturer, btw). It said, "4K 60p 4:2:0 10bit, 4:4:4:, 4:2:2 etc." Here's where I'm confused: you say the 940D won't do HDR at 60fps, so you changed the Yamaha to do HDR at 60fps. How did that help, if 60fps doesn't work? And to others here, based on what the Sony manual says, should I do the hidden magic finger dance and change the P+ to 4:2:0? Roku has agreed to replace my P+, but I would just as soon not if this will fix the problem. (Replacing an Ultra with the P+ and four new sets of HDMI cables sure didn't.)

Last edited by hawkster27; 06-11-2017 at 03:26 PM.
post #4919 of 11497 Old 06-11-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post
gwsat, please clarify this for me. I too have the Premiere + and a 940D set to Enhanced. (I also route through a processor, a Marantz 8802A, which may be a stumbling block because I couldn't find any place to change fps.) In order to use the P+ I have had to disable HDR, but that's why I bought it (my old Roku 4 could handle the UHD, dammit). I did scan the 940D manual (the worst ever produced by a major manufacturer, btw). It said, "4K 60p 4:2:0 10bit, 4:4:4:, 4:2:2 etc." Here's where I'm confused: you say the 940D won't do HDR at 60fps, so you changed the Yamaha to do HDR at 60fps. How did that help, if 60fps doesn't work? And to others here, based on what the Sony manual says, should I do the hidden magic finger dance and change the P+ to 4:2:0? Roku has agreed to replace my P+, but I would just as soon not if this will fix the problem. (Replacing an Ultra with the P+ and four new sets of HDMI cables sure didn't.)
Everything in the chain has to support HDR. In his case his Yamaha was still in the default setting that didn't allow HDR. Once he changed that it worked.

Typically there is a setting for both the tv and the AVR to allow HDR.

Did you try the Roku directly to the tv? Might want to search for that AVR and HDR issues. I ran across this that was mentioning Marantz and issues:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/marantz-av8802a-and-hdr-10-pass-through.104750/

-Kevin
gwsat likes this.

Last edited by kbmb; 06-11-2017 at 04:00 PM.
post #4920 of 11497 Old 06-11-2017, 04:46 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8896 Post(s)
Liked: 5687
Quote:
I was able to rearrange the devices to put the devices on ports I didn't;'t need the enhanced features on. After doing some research, it turns out 4k blu-ray only requires HDCP 2.2 to work, and HDR, if you want HDR. For the most part blu-ray still plays at 24p, so doesn't require an [email protected] to work. Seems to only be the streamers that currently need [email protected] to do HDR.
Only streamers that don't output the native frame rate. Like Rokus. My Sony x800 UHD BD player will output in 2160P24 from the streaming apps. But I never had a problem with the Roku outputting at 60P since the Sony Tv's do a great job removing judder.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page