Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 201 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9767Likes

post #6001 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Hey guys. So is there a device out there or coming out soon that supports DV/HDR10 on a robust amount of apps and VERY FEW ISSUES?

Also, am I correct in assuming that the Roku now supports YouTube HDR? It's been a few months since I've turned it on lol. If there is something on the horizon (even better if it was also a DV UHD player) that will meet my needs, I'll pay $1000+ for it. That's how much convenience would be worth it to me. The main apps I'm interested in though are Netflix/Amazon/Vudu/YouTube/Hulu. If the player (possibly a UHD BDP) could support DV and normal HDR then on all of that it'd be so great.

I'm considering contacting Roku about giving me a full refund. It's been almost a year since I've purchased but this is one of those cases that would easily be handled opening a BBB claim against them. They really have no excuses here. I expect to receive my refund within a few weeks after that. I'll probably tell them they're going to need to expedite it if they don't care about having too many problems from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7280 Post(s)
Liked: 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk246 View Post
I don't know what Marantz model you have, but I have a Denon AVR-X7200WA which shares very similar circuitry with the Marantz SR7011, and are almost identical in design except the Marantz was built in China and the Denon was built in Japan. Not surprising since both companies are parts of D&M Holdings. Even the manuals are almost the same. So, the only lipsync adjustment in the receivers can be found under the 'Settings' tab in the manual, under the heading, 'Audio Delay' [in my manual this is on page 198, I doubt it's the same in yours, but it should be close by if your receiver has this function]- (don't ask me any operational details, because I've never had to use it). It says the 'Audio Delay' settings are stored for each input source', but as for whether this will adjust in the right direction for you is something you'll have to find out yourself. Good luck, let me know how things turn out for you.
Thanks jk. Unfortunately the audio is delayed relative to the video already. So adding more audio delay simply exacerbates the problem. I do have the audio delay adjustment on my Marantz, but I need either a 'video delay' or an audio accelerator.
post #6003 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4379 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csbooth View Post
Hey guys. So is there a device out there or coming out soon that supports DV/HDR10 on a robust amount of apps and VERY FEW ISSUES?

No, I thought the Shield might have little issues but I'm having issues where it doesn't reach 4k on Amazon content and often doesn't do 5.1 surround but only 2 channel stereo. I have to reboot it almost every time I use it to correct these issues. I think it might have something to do with being connected to my 2015 Denon AVR because I had more issues with the Roku Ultra until I connected directly to display. Why do these 4k devices have so many problems with the Denon AVRs?

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6004 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
No, I thought the Shield might have little issues but I'm having issues where it doesn't reach 4k on Amazon content and often doesn't do 5.1 surround but only 2 channel stereo. I have to reboot it almost every time I use it. I think it might have something to do with being connected to my 2015 Denon AVR because I had more issues with the Roku Ultra until I connected directly to display. Why do these 4k devices have so many problems with the Denon AVRs?
While HDR looks well and there is a nice difference, it still goes back to the old saying "newer isn't always better" at least not at first many times. The way. things are going, and the experiences I've had personally and seen from others. I would say it will be at least another year or two before things are stable. My setup is usable, and a lot better then it was, but still has it's quirks.
post #6005 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csbooth View Post

Also, am I correct in assuming that the Roku now supports YouTube HDR? It's been a few months since I've turned it on lol. If there is something on the horizon (even better if it was also a DV UHD player) that will meet my needs, I'll pay $1000+ for it. That's how much convenience would be worth it to me. The main apps I'm interested in though are Netflix/Amazon/Vudu/YouTube/Hulu. If the player (possibly a UHD BDP) could support DV and normal HDR then on all of that it'd be so great.

I'm considering contacting Roku about giving me a full refund. It's been almost a year since I've purchased but this is one of those cases that would easily be handled opening a BBB claim against them. They really have no excuses here. I expect to receive my refund within a few weeks after that. I'll probably tell them they're going to need to expedite it if they don't care about having too many problems from me.
Rumor has it that the next Apple TV may be announced next month... if that's true, there's almost no chance that it won't be 4k, especially when some Apple developers have found references to it in recent Apple code. Also, others have found several 4k movie listings in the Apple iTunes store. Given the issues with every 4k streamer that I've seen, the limited number of channels that I'm interested in which are very similar to yours, and the excellent quality of the 1080 Apple TV, I'm postponing buying anything until after the next Apple TV is announced. Of course, it's not as versatile as Kodi or have as many channels as Roku, but it's likely to compensate for that with fewer headaches and great quality. I'm a platform agnostic person, I use Windows, Linux and Apple platforms frequently, and I'm married to none of them, so please accept this as an unbiased opinion.
timmo likes this.
post #6006 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Rumor has it that the next Apple TV may be announced next month... if that's true, there's almost no chance that it won't be 4k, especially when some Apple developers have found references to it in recent Apple code. Also, others have found several 4k movie listings in the Apple iTunes store. Given the issues with every 4k streamer that I've seen, the limited number of channels that I'm interested in which are very similar to yours, and the excellent quality of the 1080 Apple TV, I'm postponing buying anything until after the next Apple TV is announced. Of course, it's not as versatile as Kodi or have as many channels as Roku, but it's likely to compensate for that with fewer headaches and great quality. I'm a platform agnostic person, I use Windows, Linux and Apple platforms frequently, and I'm married to none of them, so please accept this as an unbiased opinion.
I'm like you, I use the best tool for the job regardless of platform, when possible.
post #6007 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Thanks jk. Unfortunately the audio is delayed relative to the video already. So adding more audio delay simply exacerbates the problem. I do have the audio delay adjustment on my Marantz, but I need either a 'video delay' or an audio accelerator.
Well, it was kind of a 'hail mary' suggestion, but being a broadcast engineer at a network for decades and observing that even the best of editors sometimes have a difficult time figuring out whether the audio is delayed of advanced when it gets down to a couple of frames of being in sync without playing it back 1 frame at a time, and not knowing what your capabilities are as well as knowing how many mistakes I've found in operating manuals, I thought it couldn't hurt to bring up that information. It's really unusual for a lip sync problem to occur in a well designed piece of HD or UHD equipment, it usually only happens when the signal passes through some other system like a point-to-point microwave or satellite transponder, or some kind of recording device. Could be a design flaw or equipment failure. And some people are more acutely sensitive than others, so if it's a small delay it may go un-noticed by the majority of viewers.
post #6008 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, it was kind of a 'hail mary' suggestion, but being a broadcast engineer at a network for decades and observing that even the best of editors sometimes have a difficult time figuring out whether the audio is delayed of advanced when it gets down to a couple of frames of being in sync without playing it back 1 frame at a time, and not knowing what your capabilities are as well as knowing how many mistakes I've found in operating manuals, I thought it couldn't hurt to bring up that information. It's really unusual for a lip sync problem to occur in a well designed piece of HD or UHD equipment, it usually only happens when the signal passes through some other system like a point-to-point microwave or satellite transponder, or some kind of recording device. Could be a design flaw or equipment failure. And some people are more acutely sensitive than others, so if it's a small delay it may go un-noticed by the majority of viewers.
You're the first one I've seen who has stated they have broadcast experience. I have worked in broadcast myself, but the only real work I've done was during the the school program I was in several years ago. I've tried to keep up with current technologies the best I can independently but it's been tough and frustrating. Because these forums are geared for professionals it seems and more the end user / average consumer.
post #6009 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Yes, the Roku 4K players support YouTube HDR. With quality content, it looks fantastic, even on my quasi-HDR Samsung. I imagine on a full HDR compatible set it's even better. Be be careful, not everything that has HDR in the title actually contains HDR video. I've looked at a few like that, and using the debug menu can see it's not always even 4K, let alone HDR.
Csbooth likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #6010 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 03:19 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8978 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
How do I get my Roku to start right away? When I have my tv on, I'll switch input on my tv remote to HDMI. The Roku screen of the city skyline appears. It scrolls across the screen.
Sometimes it loads up fast, but often not at all. Well maybe it was really slow, and I decided not to wait. On those occasions I unplugged the power-cord from the Roku. It started up really
fast after that.

How long does it normally take Roku Premiere+ to start up? Is there anything I can do to keep load times fast?

Is there any faster was to organize Roku channels besides *[select channel] < ^ OK v > each one at a time? I've gotten the My Channels installed, but I haven't gotten it adjusted how I like yet.

I'm slowly getting the hang of Roku. But the family needs it more streamlined, or I will have to change each channel for them. lol

Does anyone know if any other OTA channels are available on Roku like "Comet TV" is?
I have HDMI CEC set on with my Roku Ultra. I just the home button and my TV and receiver change to the correct inputs, and the home screen on my Ultra shows up.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
Stephen Terry likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 08-13-2017 at 04:19 PM.
post #6011 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In my attempt to continue to troubleshoot my audio issues with ROKU i've started taking note of what audio format each service sends. With the Vizio ios app, i can get that info from the 5.1 sound bar.

I noticed SBN sends their audio as CD DA 2.0 I have never seen that streamed before. If memory serves, isn't that the format audio CDs use ?

I'll keep taking note of each service i test.
BTW, not having issues with SBN, just mentioning since the audio format being sent, I've never seen streamed before.

Last edited by MacinMan; 08-13-2017 at 04:33 PM.
post #6012 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Have a Premiere+.
How long can you pause a live feed (example CNNGo, TBS, etc.)? I assume there is no way to "record"/store a whole program.
post #6013 of 11637 Old 08-13-2017, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was wondering if someone could elaborate on my audio findings. I've done some more audio testing with the ROKU streaming stick, since it's my most reliable ROKU device right now, and I'm a bit unsure what the results mean. According to the Vizio SmartCast app that goes with the sound bar, reports the audio from all stereo sources from the streaming stick are being sent as CDDA,[email protected]
Surround sources show up as either DTS 5.1, or AC3 5.1, as expected. Dolby Plus won't show up from the stick as the TV is converting that to standard DD, then passing that out the optical. DTS is passed without change, unless it's DTS HD.

Does the Streaming stick process audio differently from the full desktop ROKU boxes? It doesn't seem to matter whether the original format is AAC, MP3, etc. All stereo audio is being sent to the sound bar as CDDA, 2.0. I remember when I had the Premiere+ on the 5.1 setup, DD, and DTS 5.1 passed to the sound bar as stated above, but I didn't take detailed notes on how it passed stereo sources. From my tests earlier yesterday morning, it would appear on the particular file encoding / structure whether or not the distorted audio / AV delay was triggered with the Premiere+ as I had some files of the same type work without issue, and some were minor to bad. In the end, it looks like however the ROKU OS on the Premiere+ is processing content, it's choking on certain compression / bitrate, and encoding schemes. I would like to be able to dig deeper so I can give people the right information needed to get this resolved, but I don't know of a way off hand to get into the OS and watch what's going on.

Last edited by MacinMan; 08-13-2017 at 11:19 PM.
post #6014 of 11637 Old 08-14-2017, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Have a Premiere+.
How long can you pause a live feed (example CNNGo, TBS, etc.)? I assume there is no way to "record"/store a whole program.
The only Roku that I am aware of that can pause live feeds is a Roku TV when you add a large enough USB drive. The standard Roku has very limited storage space. When you pause something like Netflix, it stops the feed, and doesn't buffer to internal storage.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #6015 of 11637 Old 08-14-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
How do I get my Roku to start right away? When I have my tv on, I'll switch input on my tv remote to HDMI. The Roku screen of the city skyline appears. It scrolls across the screen.
Sometimes it loads up fast, but often not at all. Well maybe it was really slow, and I decided not to wait. On those occasions I unplugged the power-cord from the Roku. It started up really
fast after that.

How long does it normally take Roku Premiere+ to start up? Is there anything I can do to keep load times fast?

Is there any faster was to organize Roku channels besides *[select channel] < ^ OK v > each one at a time? I've gotten the My Channels installed, but I haven't gotten it adjusted how I like yet.

I'm slowly getting the hang of Roku. But the family needs it more streamlined, or I will have to change each channel for them. lol

Does anyone know if any other OTA channels are available on Roku like "Comet TV" is?

We have 2 Premiere+ units in 2 diff. locations. On TV has 3 HDMI inputs and when we press the "main" button (the one in the top upper right (an arrow) -- it jumps to the right input and comes on instantly. The other is an older plasma screen w. only one input - so I had to buy a manual HDMI switch box to switch between Chromecast and Roku. It, also, comes on instantly.
We have only "opened" about 15 channels. Haven't bothered putting them in any order.
post #6016 of 11637 Old 08-14-2017, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 34
@ MacinMan - I adjusted the Screensaver settings to never wait. So far so good.

Now it's a matter of weeding through the "plethora" of channels to select the best ones. lol Then I can toss the demonic (cable) box to the curb. lol
post #6017 of 11637 Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:

Now it's a matter of weeding through the "plethora" of channels to select the best ones. lol Then I can toss the demonic (cable) box to the curb. lol
You might find this article helpful.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/10-thing...nceling-cable/
post #6018 of 11637 Old 08-14-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm glad things are still working well for you!
post #6019 of 11637 Old 08-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 521
On 7.7 with Ultra and was watching Netflix last night. Loud pop out of speakers. Urggg. So much for 7.7 fixing anything audio related. Yes, new ATV cant get here soon enough.

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN2, Hi-Cap DR, ND5XS2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Emit 10, 2X JTR S1, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz C2 Power Distribution,X Power and speaker cables
post #6020 of 11637 Old 08-14-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone found a work around for the elevated volume levels with the Premiere+, Ultra? I just tried a blu-ray rip with Plex and the Premiere+ and the volume it played with was as loud with the sound bar sent to 10 as it would have been set to 20. The sound bar out in the living room is 2.1. This has also been a hard one to track down, as not all content has this issue either.
post #6021 of 11637 Old 08-14-2017, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
No, I thought the Shield might have little issues but I'm having issues where it doesn't reach 4k on Amazon content and often doesn't do 5.1 surround but only 2 channel stereo. I have to reboot it almost every time I use it to correct these issues. I think it might have something to do with being connected to my 2015 Denon AVR because I had more issues with the Roku Ultra until I connected directly to display. Why do these 4k devices have so many problems with the Denon AVRs?
Dang, and I wish I knew!
post #6022 of 11637 Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Very informative, thank you. I will keep an eye on the release of the next Apple TV for sure. With any luck, it will be something closer to what we're looking for!
post #6023 of 11637 Old 08-14-2017, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My ROKU Premiere+ is freezing again, this time on the Home Screen.

This isn't while I'm actively using it. It's when I decide to use the Roku after some time. An hour, or two, etc.
I tried the Remote Soft Reset: [Press] Home 5x, Up 1x, Rewind 2x, Fast Forward 2x

That didn't do anything. What do I did to do now?

The only thing that I know works is to disconnect the power cable from the Roku. Once I plug it back in, it starts up fine.

Last edited by IN2tvClassics; 08-15-2017 at 01:29 AM.
post #6024 of 11637 Old 08-15-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I bought a second 5.1 sound bar this morning to put in the living room as I found a way to do it cleanly since getting the new sofa. Anyway I'll be able to do better testing with the ROKU now since i have the same bar in both rooms. The samsung 2.1 wasn't doing it for music It had issues processing certain frequencies, and was starting to drop sound in and out which the new one hasn't done. I'll do some more testing today with the new audio output and see if i still have the same issues and post findings here.
post #6025 of 11637 Old 08-15-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did some testing earlier today with the ROKU Premiere+ and the new 5.1 setup in the living room. The audio was no better, and in some ways it was worse then with just plain 2.1. I'll keep an eye out for mentions of firmware updates and test them as they come out, As it stands right now though, this unit is not usable as a daily driver. So have disconnected it, and just waiting to hear of any improvements from people still having issues that have them fixed. What was worse, was it was making odd distorted sounds on the home screen and the navigation sounds. When I see and hear stuff like this, I'm not even going to bother trusting it for anything serious. My stick is still reliable but it seems like it can't handle full quality high bitrate blu-ray MKVs in Plex it usually buffers a lot or pixelates quite badly. It's probably the fact it's a stick over the set top box and doesn't have 80211ac, or ethernet options for networking. Beyond having to select a lower quality for Plex the stick is fine, and lower quality means 20 Mbps works fine, and DVDs at full quality work, and other types of files work, it's just blu-ray rips that choke at times.
post #6026 of 11637 Old 08-15-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I did some testing earlier today with the ROKU Premiere+ and the new 5.1 setup in the living room. The audio was no better, and in some ways it was worse then with just plain 2.1. I'll keep an eye out for mentions of firmware updates and test them as they come out, As it stands right now though, this unit is not usable as a daily driver. So have disconnected it, and just waiting to hear of any improvements from people still having issues that have them fixed. What was worse, was it was making odd distorted sounds on the home screen and the navigation sounds. When I see and hear stuff like this, I'm not even going to bother trusting it for anything serious. My stick is still reliable but it seems like it can't handle full quality high bitrate blu-ray MKVs in Plex it usually buffers a lot or pixelates quite badly. It's probably the fact it's a stick over the set top box and doesn't have 80211ac, or ethernet options for networking. Beyond having to select a lower quality for Plex the stick is fine, and lower quality means 20 Mbps works fine, and DVDs at full quality work, and other types of files work, it's just blu-ray rips that choke at times.
I find that my Stick does fine with high bitrates if I use my 5 GHz connection, rather than 2.4 GHz. Both of course are only 802.11N, but there's far more interference on 2.4 GHz.

Dan
post #6027 of 11637 Old 08-15-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I find that my Stick does fine with high bitrates if I use my 5 GHz connection, rather than 2.4 GHz. Both of course are only 802.11N, but there's far more interference on 2.4 GHz.
I thought about that, but I use 5Ghz, and it seems like it still struggles at times.Maybe the Plex channel needs an update. the last time I checked it hadn't been for a few months.
post #6028 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Most LIP SYNC issues are caused by the processing of these signals in either the AVR or TV. If you are using an AVR you are essentially stripping out the Audio and then passing the video to the TV. The AVR has no idea what delays are introduced in the TV processing.

However, most decent AVR's will allow you to manually introduce delay in the audio signal independently for each source.
post #6029 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7280 Post(s)
Liked: 8051
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
Most LIP SYNC issues are caused by the processing of these signals in either the AVR or TV. If you are using an AVR you are essentially stripping out the Audio and then passing the video to the TV. The AVR has no idea what delays are introduced in the TV processing.

However, most decent AVR's will allow you to manually introduce delay in the audio signal independently for each source.
I find the problem is sometimes the audio already lags the video and introducing further audio delay simply exacerbates the issue. You may need the opposite adjustment, a video delay or 'audio accelerator'.
post #6030 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I find the problem is sometimes the audio already lags the video and introducing further audio delay simply exacerbates the issue. You may need the opposite adjustment, a video delay or 'audio accelerator'.
Does the ROKU have any sort of secret screen for AV sync adjustments? I know there aren't any options in the general settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page