Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9767Likes

post #6031 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
So add me to the list of those that need to reboot the Roku each time I start up the system. If I don't, it's the typical issues I've read about here, flashing, white flashing screen or purple screen of death. Cables are all certified and my Marantz receiver has no issues with any other 4K device.

The real frustration for me is that I have a perfectly acceptable workaround...almost. Rather than routing through my receiver, I can use a dedicated input on my LG G7 OLED. In this way I get no issues each time I turn on my system. Audio is via ARC and 'almost' everything is OK.

So what's my issue? Lip synch. Video is always slightly ahead of the audio, rendering any audio delay adjustments futile. I've already got audio delay and adjusting it further simply adds more delay. What I really need is video delay! Since I'm very sensitive to lip synch issues, this is unwatchable to me. It's actually preferable to reboot the damn Roku each time I turn on my system.

Does anyone know how to improve lip synch when the video is slightly ahead? Auto lip synch doesn't work with the Roku and every other device I have input into my Marantz has perfect lip synch. It's always the Roku that has the issues no other device has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk246 View Post
I don't know what Marantz model you have, but I have a Denon AVR-X7200WA which shares very similar circuitry with the Marantz SR7011, and are almost identical in design except the Marantz was built in China and the Denon was built in Japan. Not surprising since both companies are parts of D&M Holdings. Even the manuals are almost the same. So, the only lipsync adjustment in the receivers can be found under the 'Settings' tab in the manual, under the heading, 'Audio Delay' [in my manual this is on page 198, I doubt it's the same in yours, but it should be close by if your receiver has this function]- (don't ask me any operational details, because I've never had to use it). It says the 'Audio Delay' settings are stored for each input source', but as for whether this will adjust in the right direction for you is something you'll have to find out yourself. Good luck, let me know how things turn out for you.
Quote:
Thanks jk. Unfortunately the audio is delayed relative to the video already. So adding more audio delay simply exacerbates the problem. I do have the audio delay adjustment on my Marantz, but I need either a 'video delay' or an audio accelerator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
Most LIP SYNC issues are caused by the processing of these signals in either the AVR or TV. If you are using an AVR you are essentially stripping out the Audio and then passing the video to the TV. The AVR has no idea what delays are introduced in the TV processing.

However, most decent AVR's will allow you to manually introduce delay in the audio signal independently for each source.
Already established:
1) Ken Ross has audio delayed with respect to the video.
2) Ken Ross's Marantz AVR, like "most decent AVR's" does allow manual introduction of delay in audio signal 0-200ms
3) Delaying an already delayed signal cannot resolve the issue.

nebo1ss, thank you for your post- it made me re-visit this issue and think about what's really going on.

Ken Ross, your Marantz AVR, being a D&M Holdings product, has very similar circuitry to my Denon. I went back and looked at the Denon circuitry and refreshed my recollection that there is Auto Lip-Sync built into these AVR's (very common). Apparently it's working for all HDMI inputs except one, right?

WRONG! It's working for all HDMI inputs. When I went back and re-read Ken Ross's original post about the delayed audio, I realized what's happening. Ken, by trying to correct a problem with one piece of equipment (the Roku), you're actually inducing another one. By feeding the Roku directly into one of the LG's HDMI inputs and then taking the LG's ARC out signal to feed the Marantz AVR, you're doing something neither was ever designed to do... The ARC out signal is in sync with video that is internally generated in the LG, like the ATSC tuner and the Web interface, but when you feed ARC out to the AVR, there is no reference video to re-sync to since your only feeding audio into a HDMI output of the AVR. The AVR then sends the audio through it's signal processing circuity which adds delay, and there you are- delayed audio. I'll bet that if you turn off your AAVRR and listen directly to the LG's internal speakers, that the audio and video are in sync.

Ken, it's a very clever idea of yours to try to resolve the problem with the Roko this way, but the LG (or any other TV for that matter) were never designed to work this way).

So, how to 'fix' this problem? It seems to be an incompatibility between the Roko and the AVR's HDMI connections. One thing to try (other than replacing the Roku, which seems to be a very problematic device in many ways) would be to introduce some other piece of equipment in between the Roku and the Marantz. The cheapest way I can think of off the top of my head is to put a 4k 1-input to 2-output active splitter (using only one output) in-between them and see if this mitigates their HDMI issues. If you have an active HDMI cable, you might try putting that in-between them instead, although I really don't think that would help, as I think this is a handshake issue, not a levels issue between the Roku and the Marantz. Possibly the best solution (after replacing the Roku) would be an EDID changer box (without actually using it to change the EDID) because this should fully buffer any handshaking between the Roku and the Marantz. Hope this helps, let me know how things work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 08:24 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8973 Post(s)
Liked: 5753
Has anyone had any issues getting Atmos from Vudu lately? I was looking at some streaming UHD titles in my Vudu list last night. Movie titles that had Atmos. But I would only get 5.1 DD+ from the UHD stream. I then tried the four Dolby Atmos demo titles and I had no problem getting Atmos from them. But every UHD movie I tried that had Atmos audio, only showed up as 5.1 DD+.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6033 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 5769
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Has anyone had any issues getting Atmos from Vudu lately? I was looking at some streaming UHD titles in my Vudu list last night. Movie titles that had Atmos. But I would only get 5.1 DD+ from the UHD stream. I then tried the four Dolby Atmos demo titles and I had no problem getting Atmos from them. But every UHD movie I tried that had Atmos audio, only showed up as 5.1 DD+.
I seldom watch titles with Atmos on Vudu because Vudu provides support only for DV HDR. I need HDR10. Nevertheless, I experimented a couple of weeks ago with my Premiere+'s Vudu client and confirmed that the UHD HDR Atmos titles on Vudu are received as lossy Atmos by my Yamaha 3060 receiver. Haven't tried it since, though.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+

Last edited by gwsat; 08-16-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6034 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I seldom watch titles with Atmos on Vudu because Vudu provides support only for DV HDR. I need HDR10. Nevertheless, I experimented a couple of weeks ago with my Premiere+'s Vudu client and confirmed that the UHD HDR Atmos titles on Vudu are received as lossy Atmos by my Yamaha 3060 receiver. Haven't tried it since, though.
@gwsat : I know you're one here that uses physical media, and have Atmos support. When I play a UHD blu-ray the player calls the ATMost track Dolby True HD 7.1, is this normal ? I don't have an ATMOS setup I just wondered if the ATMOS track is still played and downsampled to be compatible with the compatible receiver.
post #6035 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
@gwsat : I know you're one here that uses physical media, and have Atmos support. When I play a UHD blu-ray the player calls the ATMost track Dolby True HD 7.1, is this normal ? I don't have an ATMOS setup I just wondered if the ATMOS track is still played and downsampled to be compatible with the compatible receiver.
TrueHD Atmos is a lossless codec. It is available on Blu-ray disks or downloads via a service such Kaleidescape offers. The Atmos we can get via streaming, i.e. from Vudu, is lossy. It sounds very good but isn't the same as Lossless TrueHD Atmos.

The Atmos portion on TrueHD Atmos soundtracks is provided by "sprinkles" in the codec, which can only be decoded by Atmos capable receivers. A TrueHD Atmos soundtrack played on a non Atmos capable receiver still delivers TrueHD 7.1, which is also lossless.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #6036 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4375 Post(s)
Liked: 2452
Quote:
No, I just watched GoTG Vol. 2 night before last and it got Atmos just fine but it depends a lot on the display you use. I hear some of them don't pass Atmos via ARC.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #6037 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
TrueHD Atmos is a lossless codec. It is available on Blu-ray disks or downloads via a service such Kaleidescape offers. The Atmos we can get via streaming, i.e. from Vudu, is lossy. It sounds very good but isn't the same as Lossless TrueHD Atmos.

The Atmos portion on TrueHD Atmos soundtracks is provided by "sprinkles" in the codec, which can only be decoded by Atmos capable receivers. A TrueHD Atmos soundtrack played on a non Atmos capable receiver still delivers TrueHD 7.1, which is also lossless.
Gotcha, So I can still get the 7.1 portion of the track which is then converted to 5.1 since I only have 5.1, and the AtMOS part will only play when connected to an ATMOS compatible receiver. Just wasn't sure4 what ATMOS tracks labeled themselves.
gwsat likes this.
post #6038 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7278 Post(s)
Liked: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk246 View Post
Already established:
1) Ken Ross has audio delayed with respect to the video.
2) Ken Ross's Marantz AVR, like "most decent AVR's" does allow manual introduction of delay in audio signal 0-200ms
3) Delaying an already delayed signal cannot resolve the issue.

nebo1ss, thank you for your post- it made me re-visit this issue and think about what's really going on.

Ken Ross, your Marantz AVR, being a D&M Holdings product, has very similar circuitry to my Denon. I went back and looked at the Denon circuitry and refreshed my recollection that there is Auto Lip-Sync built into these AVR's (very common). Apparently it's working for all HDMI inputs except one, right?

WRONG! It's working for all HDMI inputs. When I went back and re-read Ken Ross's original post about the delayed audio, I realized what's happening. Ken, by trying to correct a problem with one piece of equipment (the Roku), you're actually inducing another one. By feeding the Roku directly into one of the LG's HDMI inputs and then taking the LG's ARC out signal to feed the Marantz AVR, you're doing something neither was ever designed to do... The ARC out signal is in sync with video that is internally generated in the LG, like the ATSC tuner and the Web interface, but when you feed ARC out to the AVR, there is no reference video to re-sync to since your only feeding audio into a HDMI output of the AVR. The AVR then sends the audio through it's signal processing circuity which adds delay, and there you are- delayed audio. I'll bet that if you turn off your AAVRR and listen directly to the LG's internal speakers, that the audio and video are in sync.

Ken, it's a very clever idea of yours to try to resolve the problem with the Roko this way, but the LG (or any other TV for that matter) were never designed to work this way).

So, how to 'fix' this problem? It seems to be an incompatibility between the Roko and the AVR's HDMI connections. One thing to try (other than replacing the Roku, which seems to be a very problematic device in many ways) would be to introduce some other piece of equipment in between the Roku and the Marantz. The cheapest way I can think of off the top of my head is to put a 4k 1-input to 2-output active splitter (using only one output) in-between them and see if this mitigates their HDMI issues. If you have an active HDMI cable, you might try putting that in-between them instead, although I really don't think that would help, as I think this is a handshake issue, not a levels issue between the Roku and the Marantz. Possibly the best solution (after replacing the Roku) would be an EDID changer box (without actually using it to change the EDID) because this should fully buffer any handshaking between the Roku and the Marantz. Hope this helps, let me know how things work out.
jk, thanks for the thoughtful response. As I recall, and I'll have to revisit this, I already checked the internal speakers with the same thought process you had. As I recall, there was still an audio delay using the LG's internal speakers! This surprised me as much as it probably surprises you, but I'll have to revisit this.

Interestingly the LG has a +/- lip synch adjustment for audio sent out through HDMI/optical via ARC. When I found that, I was sure I found the fix! Unfortunately it wasn't the fix I thought it would be. This too is something I need to revisit since the Marantz's auto lip synch was also probably engaged. By adjusting the LG's synch on top of the Marantz's synch, who knows what that does? They may well cancel each other out as the Marantz tries to 'fix' whatever adjustments are made on the LG side.

Interestingly, playing Netflix & Amazon via those onboard apps on the LG, results in perfect lip synch using the same ARC connection as I would with the Roku. I'm not sure if this is what you were implying would happen in one of your comments.

In the interim, over the last couple of days, I've become acclimated to turning on my entire system and quickly pulling the Roku plug in the back and quickly reinserting it. It's a bit of a pain, but it does work. Alternatively, I could try an active splitter as you suggest.
post #6039 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 10:50 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
No, I just watched GoTG Vol. 2 night before last and it got Atmos just fine but it depends a lot on the display you use. I hear some of them don't pass Atmos via ARC.
I'm not using the ARC any more with my Ultra. My ROku Ultra is going directly to an Onkyo receiver. When I first got the receiver I tried streaming some of the Vudu UHD titles with Atmos, and I did get Atmos from them. But when I tried last night it only showed up as DD+ 5.1. And I know Atmos is working from Vudu because the four Atmos sample videos showed up as Atmos on my receiver.

I don't normally stream UHD from Vudu since they don't have HDR10 yet. But I was just messing around at the time and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting Atmos from those titles.

In the end, I just watched a UHD BD rental from my Sony UHD BD player.

post #6040 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
jk, thanks for the thoughtful response. As I recall, and I'll have to revisit this, I already checked the internal speakers with the same thought process you had. As I recall, there was still an audio delay using the LG's internal speakers! This surprised me as much as it probably surprises you, but I'll have to revisit this.

Interestingly the LG has a +/- lip synch adjustment for audio sent out through HDMI/optical via ARC. When I found that, I was sure I found the fix! Unfortunately it wasn't the fix I thought it would be. This too is something I need to revisit since the Marantz's auto lip synch was also probably engaged. By adjusting the LG's synch on top of the Marantz's synch, who knows what that does? They may well cancel each other out as the Marantz tries to 'fix' whatever adjustments are made on the LG side.

Interestingly, playing Netflix & Amazon via those onboard apps on the LG, results in perfect lip synch using the same ARC connection as I would with the Roku. I'm not sure if this is what you were implying would happen in one of your comments.

In the interim, over the last couple of days, I've become acclimated to turning on my entire system and quickly pulling the Roku plug in the back and quickly reinserting it. It's a bit of a pain, but it does work. Alternatively, I could try an active splitter as you suggest.
@Ken Ross : I have found the Premiere+ to have audio / video processing issues in general, but with me, some sources are worse then others, and then there are those that have no issues. I have been able to produce this with a direct connection to TV, and setting everything to PCM / stereo also confirms that it's an internal issue with the ROKU as seeing things to the configuration that requires the least processing still produces the same issues. For now, it's not worth it to me to keep getting mad. over, and I have other devices that give me access to the same content, that work better. I am going to give ROKU time to sort this out (if they do) and try again. Unless my ROKU hardware has failed over the time I've owned it, this is a software issue, as I had no audio issues with it for the first couple months owning it. It's only been in the few last updates this has shown up.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #6041 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4375 Post(s)
Liked: 2452
Quote:
I'm not using the ARC any more with my Ultra. My ROku Ultra is going directly to an Onkyo receiver. When I first got the receiver I tried streaming some of the Vudu UHD titles with Atmos, and I did get Atmos from them. But when I tried last night it only showed up as DD+ 5.1. And I know Atmos is working from Vudu because the four Atmos sample videos showed up as Atmos on my receiver.

I don't normally stream UHD from Vudu since they don't have HDR10 yet. But I was just messing around at the time and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting Atmos from those titles.

In the end, I just watched a UHD BD rental from my Sony UHD BD player.
I don't know then, I was having all kinds of problems with my Roku Ultra when connected to the Denon AVR so now I'm connecting directly to TV and problems vanished. I may start connecting the Shield to TV as well but I've run out of HDMI ports on the TV for now. When the Denon gets an update to handle Dolby Vision I should be able to free up ports on the TV.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #6042 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 565
I did a quick check of this thread and did not see any previous related posts. Sorry in advance if I missed something.

Not certain, but I think I have a defective Roku Ultra. The issue that I have is only when I have the Display Setting in Setup as 4k/hdr. In this setting the Ultra seems to have a mind of it's own. If I am on the main menu the highlighted app will flip to another app on it's own. Also has a tendency to drop a video stream and return to the menu or just lock up while viewing videos on any app. These issues do not present on any other Display Setting in Setup.

I am using an hdmi 2.0b cable connected directly to my Samsung ks8000 One Connect. I have done a factory reset several times and replaced the cable 2x.

Unfortunately I am beyond the returns date so can't just return to the store (the dreaded Walmart).

Any suggestions? (besides avoiding Walmart)
post #6043 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ebby View Post
I did a quick check of this thread and did not see any previous related posts. Sorry in advance if I missed something.

Not certain, but I think I have a defective Roku Ultra. The issue that I have is only when I have the Display Setting in Setup as 4k/hdr. In this setting the Ultra seems to have a mind of it's own. If I am on the main menu the highlighted app will flip to another app on it's own. Also has a tendency to drop a video stream and return to the menu or just lock up while viewing videos on any app. These issues do not present on any other Display Setting in Setup.

I am using an hdmi 2.0b cable connected directly to my Samsung ks8000 One Connect. I have done a factory reset several times and replaced the cable 2x.

Unfortunately I am beyond the returns date so can't just return to the store (the dreaded Walmart).

Any suggestions? (besides avoiding Walmart)
There's really no such thing as an HDMI 2 cable. They are rated by speed, and for 4K HDR you need a 18 GBps rated cable. They don't have to be expensive. I paid under $10 for two 3' Amazon Basics cables.

The other thing you can do is to go into the secret Roku menu and change your 4K settings from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0. This drops the color bit setting from 12 bit to 10, and it also reduces the overall bitrate the HDMI cable must carry.
Chuck Ebby likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #6044 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
There's really no such thing as an HDMI 2 cable. They are rated by speed, and for 4K HDR you need a 18 GBps rated cable. They don't have to be expensive. I paid under $10 for two 3' Amazon Basics cables.
Yep, just be sure that the packaging of the HDMI cables you buy carry the Premium Certified logo and they will be good to go for UHD HDR.
Chuck Ebby likes this.

post #6045 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I don't know then, I was having all kinds of problems with my Roku Ultra when connected to the Denon AVR so now I'm connecting directly to TV and problems vanished. I may start connecting the Shield to TV as well but I've run out of HDMI ports on the TV for now. When the Denon gets an update to handle Dolby Vision I should be able to free up ports on the TV.
I have seen a lot of people reporting problems when connected to the Denon which are cleared when they connect directly to the TV.

One has to wonder if all the HDMI ports on the Denon are in fact capable of support HDCP 2.2
post #6046 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The other thing you can do is to go into the secret Roku menu and change your 4K settings from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0. This drops the color bit setting from 12 bit to 10, and it also reduces the overall bitrate the HDMI cable must carry.
Thanks for the info.

As my TV is 10 bit changing to 10 on the Ultra sounds like a great idea.

---------------
Initial results are encouraging. Is it possible that the change to 4:2:0 would also improve the PQ? Subjectively it looks like it might have?

In case anyone else wants to do this:

Secret menu option to turn on 4:2:0 10 bit or 4:2:2 12 bit for HDR.
HOME HOME HOME HOME HOME DOWN LEFT UP UP UP then just press the select button to change the option

Last edited by Chuck Ebby; 08-16-2017 at 05:31 PM.
post #6047 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 04:48 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
I solved the issue. Hopefully it doesn't crop up again. First the Dolby Atmos titles should have been showing up as 7.1 DD+ when not using Atmos. And all the titles I checked were playing back as 5.1 DD+. So I went into the audio settings and cycled the audio output options. And when I came back to Vudu, the titles started showing up as Atmos like they should be.

I'll need to remember this in case it happens again. But it still seems weird that I could get Atmos from the four Atmos Demos but not from any of the UHD movie titles.

post #6048 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some displays have no issues with 12 bit color, but my Samsung has noticeable banding at that setting. Since no consumer display is native 10 bit, there shouldn't be any issues changing to 4:2:0.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #6049 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
I have seen a lot of people reporting problems when connected to the Denon which are cleared when they connect directly to the TV.

One has to wonder if all the HDMI ports on the Denon are in fact capable of support HDCP 2.2
Yes, they are. I have an Oppo UHD player that uses the same path that the Roku did and it plays HDR just fine. I just need Denon to liven up Dolby Vision and then I'm all set that way.

Bobby 

post #6050 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Some displays have no issues with 12 bit color, but my Samsung has noticeable banding at that setting. Since no consumer display is native 10 bit, there shouldn't be any issues changing to 4:2:0.
Do you mean native 12 bit? you said 10 bit
post #6051 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Do you mean native 12 bit? you said 10 bit
Yep, typo. Meant there's no native consumer 12 bit displays.

Dan
post #6052 of 11637 Old 08-16-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep, typo. Meant there's no native consumer 12 bit displays.
Yeah, I know, just wanted to point it out for those who might not know. Anyway, also wanted to let you know that I had something happen tonight that made me even more glad I don't need to use the Premiere+ for the time being, I put it into the living room setup, and after doing so I no longer could adjust the sound bar volume, the buttons on the bar didn't work the remote didn't work, and the app didn't work, but the mute button worked and the power and other buttons worked. I am thinking ROKU still has CEC issues that made a mess. After I turn off the power strip and put things back to the way they were without the ROKU, everything worked again without issues.

I have the sound bar setup to use HDMI ARC, the standard blu-ray player is the direct HDMI input, and the sound bar out to ARC is connected to the TV's arC port, and then the Apple TV is connected to the second HDMI port as this TV only has two HDMI ports.

I stuck my HDMI switch on the second port, and then the Apple TV on the switch and things still worked, then adding the ROKU Premiere+ to the switch broke the whole setup HDMI didn't switch correctly and the volume stopped working so either it was CEC issues, or ROKU has issues dealing with ARC.
post #6053 of 11637 Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I solved the issue. Hopefully it doesn't crop up again. First the Dolby Atmos titles should have been showing up as 7.1 DD+ when not using Atmos. And all the titles I checked were playing back as 5.1 DD+. So I went into the audio settings and cycled the audio output options. And when I came back to Vudu, the titles started showing up as Atmos like they should be.

I'll need to remember this in case it happens again. But it still seems weird that I could get Atmos from the four Atmos Demos but not from any of the UHD movie titles.
The Atmos demos are HDX quality tier, while all other Atmos tracks (that I know of) are UHD tier. Maybe that had something to do with it?
aaronwt likes this.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #6054 of 11637 Old 08-17-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Inconsistent HDR on YouTube

I own a Premier+ connected to a Vizio 2017 M series with HDR 10 and DV. On the Youtube channels that are specifically HDR-focused, sometimes the HDR 10 indicator is triggered, but most Videos on these channels render in 4K SDR only. I thought this model had the necessary codec to play these. Amazon through the Roku does HDR10 perfectly on content that is labeled to do so. Any ideas?
post #6055 of 11637 Old 08-17-2017, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Not all Youtube videos marked HDR are actually coded HDR. The issue is with the uploader to Youtube not your TV.

Bobby 

post #6056 of 11637 Old 08-17-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Hope someone can help. I just bought a Roku 4k TV and noticed a little problem using the Roku mobile app on my iphone. In the Expert Picture Settings, the White Balance control arrows freeze up after I press them a few times, making it harder for me to calibrate the set. I suspected wifi lag, but my Internet Service Provider says there's no congestion and the signal is excellent. I tried Roku support several days ago, but haven't heard from them. Also tried the app on another iphone and the result was the same.

Other owners report no issues with the app. It's odd.
post #6057 of 11637 Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Not all Youtube videos marked HDR are actually coded HDR. The issue is with the uploader to Youtube not your TV.
I just found it odd that even the YouTube generated stats banner would identify some videos as going out at 4K HDR, but my set only detecting 4K. Methinks the present state of consumer HDR is akin to the old Wild West!
post #6058 of 11637 Old 08-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For what it is worth I knew what you meant. Thanks for the suggestion on changing to native 10 bit. It saved me from buying another device.

Lived in WA for 30 yrs. Will move back sometime (but not near the I-5 corridor).

post #6059 of 11637 Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Hope someone can help. I just bought a Roku 4k TV and noticed a little problem using the Roku mobile app on my iphone...
You should try the Roku TV thread for your brand. It sounds brand specific. This thread is for the Roku 4K HDR streamer boxes. Good luck.
post #6060 of 11637 Old 08-17-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Hope someone can help. I just bought a Roku 4k TV and noticed a little problem using the Roku mobile app on my iphone. In the Expert Picture Settings, the White Balance control arrows freeze up after I press them a few times, making it harder for me to calibrate the set. I suspected wifi lag, but my Internet Service Provider says there's no congestion and the signal is excellent. I tried Roku support several days ago, but haven't heard from them. Also tried the app on another iphone and the result was the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
You should try the Roku TV thread for your brand. It sounds brand specific. This thread is for the Roku 4K HDR streamer boxes. Good luck.
Thanks, just thought I'd give it a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page