Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 203 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9767Likes

post #6061 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker02910 View Post
I just found it odd that even the YouTube generated stats banner would identify some videos as going out at 4K HDR, but my set only detecting 4K. Methinks the present state of consumer HDR is akin to the old Wild West!
Here is what improved my HDR experience on the YouTube lean back interface in general. Go into history and disable watch history, for whatever reason, it was causing previously vied HDR clips not to trigger. With that said though, there are clips with HDR in the name, that aren't true HDR. Videos on "The HDR Channel" are all genuine, and after applying the history settings changes, all work for me now.

While I haven't officially tested this change on a ROKU compatible with HDR, the changed did work on my Sony UBP-X800 which uses the same YouTube interface as the ROKU YouTube channel. Usually what I've seen happen with the HDR content is, the original content is genuine HDR, then you have people who download the content, and then try to re upload it to their channel, and it doesn't contain HDR after that.
aaronwt and hiker02910 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Here is what improved my HDR experience on the YouTube lean back interface in general. Go into history and disable watch history, for whatever reason, it was causing previously vied HDR clips not to trigger. With that said though, there are clips with HDR in the name, that aren't true HDR. Videos on "The HDR Channel" are all genuine, and after applying the history settings changes, all work for me now.

While I haven't officially tested this change on a ROKU compatible with HDR, the changed did work on my Sony UBP-X800 which uses the same YouTube interface as the ROKU YouTube channel. Usually what I've seen happen with the HDR content is, the original content is genuine HDR, then you have people who download the content, and then try to re upload it to their channel, and it doesn't contain HDR after that.
I may have to try that tonight. I was playing around with HDR on my premiere+ last night and couldn't get any of the videos on "The HDR Channel" to work, but I did get some on the J+K channel to work. They were not tagged as HDR, but it did flip to HDR on the display. The next video on the same channel didn't flip to HDR even though it said it was HDR as well. It is really annoying, because it just doesn't seem consistent.

My Theater Build: The Underground Apolkalypse Theater
Marantz SR7010, Monolith 7 Amplifier, Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Epson 5040ub, Oppo UHD-203 Player, Xbox One, nVidia Shield
Atmos 7.3.4 - Polk 2x RTiA9, CSiA6, 2x FXiA6, 2x RTIA3, 4x 70-RT
PowerSoundAudio XS30, Sunfire 2x - HRS-12 12" Subwoofers
post #6063 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Thanks. I did try clearing History, but it seems some of the vids, even on the prominent "HDR Channel" are not detected as such by my set, although on his channel there IS a Playlist where the majority of vids do come through in HDR10 for me. And you're very correct saying there are some channels labeling their videos as 4K HDR, and not even being 4K, let alone HDR. Maybe originally filmed that way perhaps. LOL clickbaiters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6064 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker02910 View Post
Thanks. I did try clearing History, but it seems some of the vids, even on the prominent "HDR Channel" are not detected as such by my set, although on his channel there IS a Playlist where the majority of vids do come through in HDR10 for me. And you're very correct saying there are some channels labeling their videos as 4K HDR, and not even being 4K, let alone HDR. Maybe originally filmed that way perhaps. LOL clickbaiters!
I wonder if some of those HDR channel videos are DolbyVision HDR which will downgrade to 4K for most people.
post #6065 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I wonder if some of those HDR channel videos are DolbyVision HDR which will downgrade to 4K for most people.
Some don't even play in 4K at all, and have the HD badge, so that means they aren't even 4k.
post #6066 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 5769
Watched Episode 1 and part of 2 of The Defenders earlier via my Premiere+'s Netflix app. It both looked and sounded terrific. The UHD HDR treatment given the audio looked beautiful and I liked the DD+ audio as well. I used the Dolby Surround DSP on my Yamaha 3060 receiver to matrix DD+'s native 5.1 to 7.2.4. Could not have been more pleased.
Rudy1, aaronwt, robsis and 2 others like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #6067 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Watched Episode 1 and part of 2 of The Defenders earlier via my Premiere+'s Netflix app. It both looked and sounded terrific. The UHD HDR treatment given the audio looked beautiful and I liked the DD+ audio as well. I used the Dolby Surround DSP on my Yamaha 3060 receiver to matrix DD+'s native 5.1 to 7.2.4. Could not have been more pleased.
I'm planning on Casting the series this evening so I can watch in DolbyVision. Wish it was in real Atmos.
post #6068 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 5769
Quote:
I'm planning on Casting the series this evening so I can watch in DolbyVision. Wish it was in real Atmos.
My display, a Sony 940D, is not DV compatible, so for me it's HDR10 or nothing. Fortunately, Netflix's version of HDR rendered with HDR10 has been uniformly good and The Defenders looks just as good as the earlier Marvel series did.
aaronwt and naustin like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #6069 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the only device I have that's Dolby Vision compliant is my Chromecast Ultra. I've completely isolated my ROKU Premiere+ from either setup, and put it on a 27" curved Samsung monitor with HDMI in and built in speakers. It's a 1080p only display but I do still want to get the ROKU stable without screwing up either TV setup in the progress. The computer on that display really has no more use, so decided to set the monitor up as a stand alone test display.

Last edited by rboster; 08-18-2017 at 02:02 PM. Reason: retail link removed
post #6070 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Has anyone had any issues getting Atmos from Vudu lately? I was looking at some streaming UHD titles in my Vudu list last night. Movie titles that had Atmos. But I would only get 5.1 DD+ from the UHD stream. I then tried the four Dolby Atmos demo titles and I had no problem getting Atmos from them. But every UHD movie I tried that had Atmos audio, only showed up as 5.1 DD+.
Watched Kong Skull Island UHD with Atmos last night and it worked fine here.

DEN Samsung UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 Atmos / Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player
Living Room TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 Atmos / M-5010 Amplifier / Sam. UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player . BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #6071 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are retail links not allowed on these forums? I posted a link to the monitor I have, that I'm using to test the ROKU Premiere+ with, and the link got edited out. I thought I've seen product links in threads before, that's why I'm asking.
post #6072 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Are retail links not allowed on these forums? I posted a link to the monitor I have, that I'm using to test the ROKU Premiere+ with, and the link got edited out. I thought I've seen product links in threads before, that's why I'm asking.
I think it depends on the site.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #6073 of 11637 Old 08-18-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
I think it depends on the site.
This was an amazon link. All the reason gave for the edit was retail link was removed, but nothing about violating any policies etc. I figured if someone wanted to do what I was doing, putting the ROKU on it's own dedicated display without messing up the main setup with the issues it's been having. The monitor I have, and linked, is a nice one.
post #6074 of 11637 Old 08-19-2017, 12:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are forum threads for selling products and discussing prices. On product forums you are generally allowed to link to a manufacturer site with Specs and MSRP.
post #6075 of 11637 Old 08-19-2017, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are forum threads for selling products and discussing prices. On product forums you are generally allowed to link to a manufacturer site with Specs and MSRP.
Thanks for the clarification @naustin . If you happen to know where I could connect with a home / commercial theater group through IRC, I would appreciate it. I 0refer IRC over the forum environment because of the way I interact with people, it just seems to fit in with the IRC environment more over forums from what I've seen. I was going to consider closing my account here, and look for a different source, but there doesn't seem to be any options in the user control panel.

Thanks again for the feedback.
post #6076 of 11637 Old 08-19-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification @naustin . If you happen to know where I could connect with a home / commercial theater group through IRC, I would appreciate it....

Thanks again for the feedback.
You should be fine here if you keep your references general like a retail site having a product and maybe its on sale rather than actual links. Linking to manufacturer sites seems with specs seems ok. IMHO
post #6077 of 11637 Old 08-19-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Anyone had issues with the Ultra communicating with a Harmony Remote?

I got my replacement Ultra from Roku yesterday (just set it up tonight, so I can't confirm whether or not it fixed my HDCP issues) but the Roku is incredibly slow to respond to my Harmony Ultimate Home.

The previous Roku Ultra did not ever have this issue. Commands take 7-8 seconds to register. The Roku is in the same place, nothing else was moved. I've confirmed that no strange delays are present in the Harmony settings. Everything is exactly as it was before with the previous Ultra.

Roku remote works perfectly fine.

Man, this device is frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6078 of 11637 Old 08-20-2017, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2178
Quote:
Since I don't have a lot of ROKU specific stuff going on right now, I thought I would ask about rear speaker placement for the new system I put in the living room. Based on guides I've looked at and experience I've had building a balanced sound filed, it's best to place the speakers at ear level behind the listener. The speakers fit on the sofa on either end, when I sit, the speakers are at the center of my ears, and surround is clear. My questions is, should I still get speaker stands so they are higher, or are the ends of the sofa ok, since they sit flat, and do deliver balanced sound field where they are.
Sorry, but you need to take off topic discussions to the appropriate forum and existing thread (or if no existing thread covers the topic after searching).

This thread should not be used as a "catch-all" for all home theater topics, comments or questions....only those related to ROKU 4k.
JFR0317, 65Goat, kemac and 2 others like this.
post #6079 of 11637 Old 08-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeClair12 View Post
Anyone had issues with the Ultra communicating with a Harmony Remote?

I got my replacement Ultra from Roku yesterday (just set it up tonight, so I can't confirm whether or not it fixed my HDCP issues) but the Roku is incredibly slow to respond to my Harmony Ultimate Home.

The previous Roku Ultra did not ever have this issue. Commands take 7-8 seconds to register. The Roku is in the same place, nothing else was moved. I've confirmed that no strange delays are present in the Harmony settings. Everything is exactly as it was before with the previous Ultra.

Roku remote works perfectly fine.

Man, this device is frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a Harmony Hub, which should be the same as yours, and mine works fine through the Harmony app on my iPhone as far as lag goes. It's not quite as instant as the Roku remote, but not anywhere near the delay you're saying. Could it be an issue of your handheld remote communicating with your Hub? BTW, I also have a Harmony 650 infrared remote, and it can also control the Roku just fine using IR instead of RF.
post #6080 of 11637 Old 08-20-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Hello All,
Just got the dreaded red flashes watching Netflix through my new LGC7 via my ultra. Wow I would have thought Roku would have fixed this by now. It's obviously the the Roku because I have the same problem with my prem+ through my Sony 900e.
post #6081 of 11637 Old 08-20-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello All,
Just got the dreaded red flashes watching Netflix through my new LGC7 via my ultra. Wow I would have thought Roku would have fixed this by now. It's obviously the the Roku because I have the same problem with my prem+ through my Sony 900e.
Yes it is unique to Netflix 4K viewing, not on Netflix HD or HDR, nor is it on other channels like Amazon UHD.

Edit: I can watch the same 4K program on Netflix via my Amazon FireTV box with no issues, then again the AFTV is 4K at 30 fps where the Rokus are 4K/60 fps.

Last edited by naustin; 08-20-2017 at 08:11 PM.
post #6082 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7279 Post(s)
Liked: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello All,
I've learned that any issues seen on a Roku are highly unlikely to be fixed by Roku. They weren't fixed on the Roku Premiere and haven't been fixed on the Ultra. They seem totally disinterested in fixing existing issues.

I just bought an Nvidia Shield and don't see these issues. The Ultra will now be relegated to the bedroom TV.
post #6083 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I've learned that any issues seen on a Roku are highly unlikely to be fixed by Roku. They weren't fixed on the Roku Premiere and haven't been fixed on the Ultra. They seem totally disinterested in fixing existing issues.
Well they certainly are more than open to creating new issues on the Ultra, this last update for me has been a nightmare, I have to restart the Roku every time I want to use it or I wind up with HDCP and handshake issues.
post #6084 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I just bought an Nvidia Shield and don't see these issues. The Ultra will now be relegated to the bedroom TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Well they certainly are more than open to creating new issues on the Ultra, this last update for me has been a nightmare, I have to restart the Roku every time I want to use it or I wind up with HDCP and handshake issues.
It's very strange...I have not had any issues with mine and I use it daily.
Stephen Terry likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #6085 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
Quote:
Are you connected directly to a TV or to an AVR? I have a lot less issues since I connected directly to my display.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #6086 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
If you are going from Roku -> AVR -> TV, then try toggling inputs on the AVR to something else and back to the Roku input. This works for me everytime I have any of the issues.
post #6087 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Are you connected directly to a TV or to an AVR? I have a lot less issues since I connected directly to my display.
The brand of AVR seems to have a significant impact on if someone has those issues. Denon seems to be the worst, while I have no issues with two different Yamaha receivers with my Ultra and 4.
gwsat likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #6088 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
The brand of AVR seems to have a significant impact on if someone has those issues. Denon seems to be the worst, while I have no issues with two different Yamaha receivers with my Ultra and 4.
I have an RX-V481 and I'd say about 50% of the time, when I wake the Roku I get the flickering screen. Switching inputs on the AVR to something else and back always fixes it. I'd say I get the purple/HDCP errors far less - but they still do happen. Same procedure fixes those as well.
post #6089 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
I have an RX-V481 and I'd say about 50% of the time, when I wake the Roku I get the flickering screen. Switching inputs on the AVR to something else and back always fixes it. I'd say I get the purple/HDCP errors far less - but they still do happen. Same procedure fixes those as well.
Yep, there is no one system that is issue free.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #6090 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 01:22 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8976 Post(s)
Liked: 5755
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Luckily for me, my Ultra behaves the same when connected to my Onkyo receiver as it did when I had it connected directly to my TV.

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page