Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 204 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9766Likes

post #6091 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Denon seems to be the worst, while I have no issues with two different Yamaha receivers with my Ultra and 4.
I'm currently running a Premiere+ to Denon AVR-X6300H to LG OLED55B6P using fairly generic 3' up to 45' 18 Gbps Monoprice cables. With the latest Roku software build, I am fortunate to have no issues with the P+ performance aside from Netflix red flashes and BT.2020 color conversion. Those can be worked around so quickly by switching the P+ output to 4K instead of 4K HDR that I don't even think about it anymore. I just flip back and forth depending on what I'm watching.

The P+ is now my go-to 4K HDR media player for OTT, pulling slightly ahead of Shield TV and Chromecast Ultra (although each has its individual strengths and unique applications).

I'm very sorry to read of all the issues other users are having with the Premiere+ and Ultra.
brotony and atc98092 like this.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Installed the new Hulu Beta on my Ultra. Works nice. I've been using it on the ATV since it came out. Can't say I'm thrilled overall with the interface, but it's nice to see companies coming out with new interfaces rather than the old Roku templates (I'm looking at you HBO GO)!!

If you want the channel go here: https://help.hulu.com/s/article/ka04...language=en_US
You don't have to sign up for any beta.....just scroll to the Roku section for the channel add link. Note this is a separate app - so if you use Harmony/Alexa to launch channels, you'll need to update things to have Alexa be able to open the new app.
brotony and Spinningbull like this.
post #6093 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post
I'm currently running a Premiere+ to Denon AVR-X6300H to LG OLED55B6P using fairly generic 3' up to 45' 18 Gbps Monoprice cables. With the latest Roku software build, I am fortunate to have no issues with the P+ performance aside from Netflix red flashes and BT.2020 color conversion. Those can be worked around so quickly by switching the P+ output to 4K instead of 4K HDR that I don't even think about it anymore. I just flip back and forth depending on what I'm watching.

The P+ is now my go-to 4K HDR media player for OTT, pulling slightly ahead of Shield TV and Chromecast Ultra (although each has its individual strengths and unique applications).

I'm very sorry to read of all the issues other users are having with the Premiere+ and Ultra.
I'm thinking of upgrading to 6400 when it comes out next month only because of all the issues the 6200 has with streaming devices. I have problems with both the Shield and the Roku Ultra when connected to Denon.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6094 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post

Roku support was prepared to replace my Ultra on CaseID claim for audio issues but asked that I factory reset first (they'd agree to replace next day if I called in). I said I'd give it a try but haven't had much opportunity to test audio. The drops appear to far less frequent to duplicate with ease.

I've never had HDCP errors or wake from screensaver issues on this unit so I'd prefer to keep it if audio bugs are squashed in software.

I can't really say I've experienced the audio bugs since factory reset. Minor issues with Amazon Prime Salvation series with dialogue hitting low octaves and no way to describe it except it's like the bass is pushed to limit and starts distorting on these low octaves. I've experienced this with Sennheiser RS 185 and headphones attached to Roku Ultra remote.

The other audio issue I've noticed since the factory reset is an audible pop on Tennis TV matches. The pop is constantly occurring just before commentary begins. I'm thinking this is the Mic picking up the commentator wetting the palette before speaking. They REALLY should move the Mic away from their mouth.

Before the factory reset, audio was dropping very frequently on Netflix and Hulu. I'm not at the point to say that's fixed but factory reset is something I should have done when update 7.7 dropped. This wasn't nearly as inconvenient as I thought it would be. I didn't have to sign in to every app and my apps weren't lost either. I found that to be odd at the time; it seems a lot of user data is retained. But I had signed into some of those apps recently; maybe that's why.

Given the current choices in streamers, I'd really like to like the Roku Ultra. Dunno, it may be relegated to "stick" travel purposes when the Apple TV 5 releases. There's so much more the Ultra could do; I hope Roku continues to improve it and readily make new apps available.

I'm going to look into that hulu beta app next.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
post #6095 of 11637 Old 08-21-2017, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
My Ultra got a new firmware update this evening 7.7.0 build 4135-29.
aaronwt likes this.
post #6096 of 11637 Old 08-22-2017, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Installed the new Hulu Beta on my Ultra. Works nice. I've been using it on the ATV since it came out. Can't say I'm thrilled overall with the interface, but it's nice to see companies coming out with new interfaces rather than the old Roku templates (I'm looking at you HBO GO)!!

If you want the channel go here: https://help.hulu.com/s/article/ka04...language=en_US
You don't have to sign up for any beta.....just scroll to the Roku section for the channel add link. Note this is a separate app - so if you use Harmony/Alexa to launch channels, you'll need to update things to have Alexa be able to open the new app.
I've been waiting for Hulu to get on one of the devices I own. The beta is working and I'm trialing the switch from vue...

So far sound and video quality have a slight edge on Hulu, but there are an awful lot of non skipable commercials for the no commercials plan...

Same shows on vue allow skipping...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
brotony likes this.

video: Lg 65e6, Oppo uhd-203, Roku ultra, nVidia Shield Pro
audio: Yamaha aventage 3050, ATI AT252NC, martin logan efx 7.1
gaming: Ps4-pro, Psvr, Ps3
other: Synology d216play, Panamax m-5300pm & m-5400pm, a billion smarthome things
post #6097 of 11637 Old 08-22-2017, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Got it not really sure what it did, I'll give it a few days to see anything new.

DEN Samsung UN65KS8000 / 2017 Roku Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ710 5.2.2 Atmos / Sam. UBD-M8500 Blu-Ray Player
Living Room TCL 55R617 55-Inch 4K Ultra / Onkyo TX-RZ920 7.2.4 Atmos / M-5010 Amplifier / Sam. UBD-K8500 Blu-Ray Player . BEDROOM Samsung 55JS8500 / 2016 Roku Ultra / LG UP870 3D Ultra High Definition Blu-Ray 4K Player
post #6098 of 11637 Old 08-22-2017, 06:15 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Liked: 5747
Quote:
Thanks. I'm updating my Ultra right now.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6099 of 11637 Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Mine received that update last evening, too. Since the previous update, the audio level on my Ultra has been raised way higher -- I have to reduce the volume level of my Denon receiver significantly now. This update did not fix that issue. I'm not sure what it addressed.
post #6100 of 11637 Old 08-22-2017, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4437 Post(s)
Liked: 5766
Quote:
Thanks, I just downloaded 7.7.0 build 4135-29 and installed it on my Premiere+. My Premiere+ had checked for updates at 3:15 AM but the new firmware wasn't available at that time. When I checked again at a little before 9:00 AM, after I saw your post, I was able to get it. Go figure.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #6101 of 11637 Old 08-22-2017, 08:04 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Liked: 5747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Mine received that update last evening, too. Since the previous update, the audio level on my Ultra has been raised way higher -- I have to reduce the volume level of my Denon receiver significantly now. This update did not fix that issue. I'm not sure what it addressed.
With my Onkyo receiver, and previously Sony speaker bar, the volume levels have always been the same with my Ultra. Whether using the ARC with DD and 2.0 PCM or going directly to my receiver and using DD+ and 2.0 PCM.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #6102 of 11637 Old 08-22-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
My Ultra is the same - volume levels remain a LOT higher than other devices. I was testing the new Vudu app for Apple TV last night and switching back and forth between my ATV and Ultra - each time I'd have to lower and raise the AVR volume because the Ultra was so much higher.
post #6103 of 11637 Old 08-22-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I noticed once my Ultra had excessive volume, to the point of distortion, but after a reboot it was back to normal and didn't exhibit the same issue again. I'm away from home right now, so can't test mine until Friday.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #6104 of 11637 Old 08-22-2017, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
It's very strange...I have not had any issues with mine and I use it daily.

Same here. My ROKU Ultra is rock solid and if there are any issues, they are so minuscule I do not notice.
I really think a lot of the issues are individual chain issues and Roku gets unfairly blamed for most of it.
Maybe I am really lucky but those without issues seldom post.....we are busy enjoying our Rokus.
aaronwt and CCsoftball7 like this.
post #6105 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I noticed once my Ultra had excessive volume, to the point of distortion, but after a reboot it was back to normal and didn't exhibit the same issue again. I'm away from home right now, so can't test mine until Friday.
I performed a reboot, and the volume level is back to normal when moving around the main screen and within NHL.tv. However, it is still excessively loud within the Amazon Video app. I removed & reinstalled the app, but that made no difference.
post #6106 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I performed a reboot, and the volume level is back to normal when moving around the main screen and within NHL.tv. However, it is still excessively loud within the Amazon Video app. I removed & reinstalled the app, but that made no difference.
I noticed this too when watching AIV this morning, it's really loud.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #6107 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I noticed this too when watching AIV this morning, it's really loud.
Have you tried using the Auto detect setting for HDMI and S/PDIF under Audio settings?
post #6108 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 75
New Roku Ultra owner here. Less then a week. Been watching Man in the High Castle episodes. I loaded the latest firmware yesterday and like others have reported the sound is almost distorted. I have to lower my Panny GT50 volume down to less then 5 or so to enjoy the audio. I did as suggested above and rebooted my Roku. NG. I went in to the audio settings and selected low from the default OF MEDIUM. Didn't make a difference. My setting is already AUTO for HDMI and S/PDIF . I noticed when turning on my Roku that there is a Service Notice for planned maintenance today from 5AM to 11AM PST. From reading the notice it didn't look like this would change anything but you never know. Guess its a waiting game at this point.
post #6109 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I've redone my setup in the Living room and decided to put the Premiere+ back on the 4k TV and test it in full HDR support mode. For the most part it's been a positive experience. I still have the audio delay on certain things, but at least the audio didn't sound distorted. When trying HDR videos on Youtube from the HDR channel, none of the latest ones triggered the TV to change, but showed the HDR tag, and played in SDR. I think this is a ROKU specific problem, as I played the same Videos on the UBP-X800's Youtube app, and they all worked without issues.

I tried Netflix HDR, with Daredevil, and that seems to be working without issues. I tried Plex, and with the exception of the audio delay on certain files, that also seems to be working without issues.

So, at this point, while I still want to see the remaining issues resolved, I feel I can use the ROKU for things not present on my other devices, and be ok, for the time being.

As far as the navigation sounds on the home screen, they have never worked correctly since I've gotten these 5.1 sound bars. If I put the sound bar in stereo then they work OK, but not with it set to direct 5.1. They fade in and out from quiet to normal volume. I just turn them off to work around this.

The streaming stick must process audio differently from the full boxes because, it doesn't have the same audio issues. Both ROKU devices have the same settings for audio, which is auto.
post #6110 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpileggi View Post
New Roku Ultra owner here. Less then a week. Been watching Man in the High Castle episodes. I loaded the latest firmware yesterday and like others have reported the sound is almost distorted. I have to lower my Panny GT50 volume down to less then 5 or so to enjoy the audio....
Is your GT50 set perhaps to PCM audio rather than bit stream digital. PCM sometimes compresses the audio.
post #6111 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Is your GT50 set perhaps to PCM audio rather than bit stream digital. PCM sometimes compresses the audio.
My GT50(2012) has no bitstream/PCM option directly by name but rather just Digital. Audio was normal prior to the latest firmware so for me everything is pointing at that. I would output from the Roku to my receiver by optical to see if the problem persists but all my opticals are already in use on the receiver by both my Hopper as well as my Bluray player. To rearrange to just do a test would take some time so for now I'll just live with the issue.
post #6112 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been doing some searching on ways to adjust AV sync with a ROKU, but really haven't come back with any results. Are there any hidden screens /options for me to tweak ?
post #6113 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7275 Post(s)
Liked: 8044
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I've been doing some searching on ways to adjust AV sync with a ROKU, but really haven't come back with any results. Are there any hidden screens /options for me to tweak ?
In my case the problem was the audio was already delayed relative to the video, so the common audio delay adjustments would only exacerbate the issue.
post #6114 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
In my case the problem was the audio was already delayed relative to the video, so the common audio delay adjustments would only exacerbate the issue.
In my case the ROKU Premiere+ is processing some of my content incorrectly and the result is the actual playback isn't from the beginning of the file. It starts a few seconds in. Very bad if the song starts with a beat that gets cut off because of this, or a podcast / video that starts with something that gets cut off as well.

What I would need to do is find a way to change the way the ROKU is processing the content. At this point since ROKU hasn't responded to the problem and video I demonstrated the issue with on their forum I kind of feel the only way I'm going to get this fixed is to hack into the OS myself and see what's going on unless there are hidden settings I can tinker with.
post #6115 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you tried using the Auto detect setting for HDMI and S/PDIF under Audio settings?
Just checked and this is what it is already set at.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #6116 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's getting closer to the Holidays, has anyone heard if ROKU is going to release any new products like they did last year around this time of year?
post #6117 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4437 Post(s)
Liked: 5766
Quote:
I had been experiencing the dreaded abnormally high volume bug on my Premiere+ over the past couple of days. My Yamaha 3060 receiver supports both Dolby Digital Plus and DTS audio, so I have now changed my HDMI audio setting from "Auto detect" to "Dolby D+, DTS" and rebooted. Ever since, my volumes have returned to normal. Will report further if I have any more trouble along those lines.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #6118 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
It's getting closer to the Holidays, has anyone heard if ROKU is going to release any new products like they did last year around this time of year?

Yes, I've heard that they are going to deliver a product that works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
zeuswsu likes this.

Marantz 7010 AVR --->7.2.4, LG OLED65E6, Oppo UDP-203, Onkyo TX-750 (2nd amp), Elac UF5 Front, DCM CX-Center, Elac UB5 Surrounds Polk A4 (Back) Energy CB-20 x 4 (ceiling) Hsu VTF2-MK4 x 2 Subs, Harmony Elite
post #6119 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just bought the Ultra not knowing about the god-awful HDR performance. It is so dim. But when an HDR show first starts, there is a second or two where it is perfectly fine. Have they really not addressed the HDR issue at all? Nothing can be done yet?
post #6120 of 11637 Old 08-23-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakdaddy View Post
Just bought the Ultra not knowing about the god-awful HDR performance. It is so dim. But when an HDR show first starts, there is a second or two where it is perfectly fine. Have they really not addressed the HDR issue at all? Nothing can be done yet?
I'm not convinced that as a whole, ROKU handles HDR correctly. I've come to this conclusion by comparing different devices that I have. Youtube is a good example, where all real HDR videos trigger the TV to change when played on one device vs the ROKU where the change is not dependable. At this point I call it a 50 / 50 chance of it working with the ROKU reliably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page