Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 289 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9925Likes

post #8641 of 11866 Old 04-08-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
I watch Star Trek for “free” as part of my Prime membership. Why would I want to buy them on VUDU?
Perhaps because you want to own them forever. "Free" program/shows on Prime, Hulu and Netflix drop off regularly as royalty streaming contracts expire.
galonzo and lizrussspike like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 11866 Old 04-08-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Perhaps because you want to own them forever. "Free" program/shows on Prime, Hulu and Netflix drop off regularly as royalty streaming contracts expire.
@naustin , exactly Like the Matrix Trilogy I found a deal on today. I own the blu-ray box set with the Animatrix, but for $16 bucks I got all three movies in HD so i have portable copies if I want them, or access to the movies in other sources that won't expire.

Plus I've been having questions lately whether or not I want to keep netrflix or not. I still have content I watch, but in the course of the years I've had it, as you said I've lost access to things I like to watch, because of licensing.

At least with the Rental / Purchasing services as you go. Once I've paid for it, it's in my library, even when it's no longer for sale. I've had one or two things on VUDU do that.
post #8643 of 11866 Old 04-08-2018, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
"Perhaps because you want to own them forever."

Then get the disk. No digital streaming service equals you own anything forever.

You can do D2D for 2 bucks for quite a few disk you already own on VUDU if you want convenience and portability. If you want to own something for the longest time possible you need hard copies.
rdgcss and lizrussspike like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8644 of 11866 Old 04-08-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
"Perhaps because you want to own them forever."

Then get the disk. No digital streaming service equals you own anything forever.

You can do D2D for 2 bucks for quite a few disk you already own on VUDU if you want convenience and portability. If you want to own something for the longest time possible you need hard copies.
I'm way ahead of you there. Anything I really want to keep, I have on either DVD, or Blu-ray, or UHD Blu-ray. I have all the Star Trek Movies on physical media, but only season 1 of the original TV series on DVD. I do use disc 2 digital all the time, if I want ot put something in the cloud as another backup. However, I checked the VUDU forums before posting back to say TV Shows are not eligible for disc to digital conversions.

Otherwise I would have checked on the following series I own on disc to see if i could get a digital copy:

The Jetsons Season 1
Gilligan's Island Series Seasons 1-3
The Dukes of Hazzard Series (Seasons 1-7
Knight Rider Series Seasons 1 - 4
Full House Series Seasons 1-8
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (full series)
Stargate SG-1 Full Series (1-10) season
Saved by the Bell Series Season 1-5
The Super Mario Brothers Supershow (full series)
Several Seasons of Walker Texas Ranger

and of course, Star Trek the original series (season 1) full series with my purchase on VUDU.
As you can see, I have quite a few classic series that would be nice to have in the cloud, but at least I don't need an internet connection to watch them, and I have them as long as the media lasts, and I can download episodes I want to watch offline with the VUDU mobile app, any shows I have in iTunes.
post #8645 of 11866 Old 04-09-2018, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi, sorry to drop (back) into this mega-thread to ask about an issue that may have already been discussed, but I'm having playback dropout problems viewing Vudu movies in 4K/HDR via my Roku Premiere.

It's hooked up to a FiOS 100/100 Mbps internet connection via a hardwire Ethernet cable directly to an access point, so it's not a WiFi thing.

I can view Netflix HDR programming (e.g., "Stranger Things 2"), YouTube videos in HDR, and Amazon Prime Video in HDR (e.g., "The Tick"), and now that Vudu supports HDR10 (my display doesn't support DolbyVision), I've also bought some movie titles in their "UHD" format as well: "Wonder Woman", "Thor: Ragnarok", "Mysterious Beasts And Where To Find Them".

I can begin playback just fine, but after anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes of viewing, the signal drops out and rebuffers. Eventually I get an error message warning that my network connection is too slow. I either deal with the interrupted viewings, or downgrade to normal 1080p (HDX) resolution, which also loses me the enhanced colorspace that I paid for.

At this point I only have one 4K/HDR display, but the wired internet connection should be more than sufficient for playback, and I have never experienced issues with the other streaming HDR material through the Roku.

Is it possibly a known issue either with Vudu (on their server end), the Roku Premiere Roku app itself (I did try deleting and reinstalling it - no change), possibly something to do with my particular device, or what? I'm a bit at my wit's end, I even re-purchased two of those movies as physical discs to be able to watch them in full HDR (the sound quality is noticeably better on disc, too), but come on.

Display: JVC DLA-RS520 "4K via e-shift" projector; Screen: 45x80 Da-Lite HCCV (viewed from 8 ft.)
AVR: Denon S720W; BD Player: Panasonic DMP-UB900; Streamer: Roku Ultra
5.1 Speakers: Digital Phase AP-.7 CC and front monitors, SVS PC-12 subwoofer, Polk S10 rear/surrounds
post #8646 of 11866 Old 04-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
Hi, sorry to drop (back) into this mega-thread to ask about an issue that may have already been discussed, but I'm having playback dropout problems viewing Vudu movies in 4K/HDR via my Roku Premiere.

It's hooked up to a FiOS 100/100 Mbps internet connection via a hardwire Ethernet cable directly to an access point, so it's not a WiFi thing.

I can view Netflix HDR programming (e.g., "Stranger Things 2"), YouTube videos in HDR, and Amazon Prime Video in HDR (e.g., "The Tick"), and now that Vudu supports HDR10 (my display doesn't support DolbyVision), I've also bought some movie titles in their "UHD" format as well: "Wonder Woman", "Thor: Ragnarok", "Mysterious Beasts And Where To Find Them".

I can begin playback just fine, but after anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes of viewing, the signal drops out and rebuffers. Eventually I get an error message warning that my network connection is too slow. I either deal with the interrupted viewings, or downgrade to normal 1080p (HDX) resolution, which also loses me the enhanced colorspace that I paid for.

At this point I only have one 4K/HDR display, but the wired internet connection should be more than sufficient for playback, and I have never experienced issues with the other streaming HDR material through the Roku.

Is it possibly a known issue either with Vudu (on their server end), the Roku Premiere Roku app itself (I did try deleting and reinstalling it - no change), possibly something to do with my particular device, or what? I'm a bit at my wit's end, I even re-purchased two of those movies as physical discs to be able to watch them in full HDR (the sound quality is noticeably better on disc, too), but come on.
I'm connected Ethernet to 400 Mbps downlink connection. No problem with the one UHD movie I've streamed with 2017 Roku Ultra on Vudu.

Just streamed Star Wars Last Jedi on Vudu this weekend with no issues. I know there's other users in this forum that prefer Vudu on Roku.

Maybe it's ISP or network related? Dunno but I've heard devices or services like Vudu may have local servers within the ISP for easy as reliable access. You may need to take this buffering issue to Vudu and your ISP. Maybe other Verizon users have the same issue or have it within your area?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #8647 of 11866 Old 04-09-2018, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
@robardin , I, too, have FiOS 100/100, hardwired to my Roku P+, and while I usually only watch the disk version for the superior sound and higher bitrate video, I decided to try the VUDU program where you buy the combo disk and digital UHD package early and get the disk on release day (which happened to go surprisingly smooth), and I did experience one moment of buffering where the movie stopped for a brief second, but was then fine for the duration (HDR and Atmos worked as expected, the title was Jumanji: WTTJ).
brotony likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #8648 of 11866 Old 04-10-2018, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4585 Post(s)
Liked: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post

I just tried to play a Vudu 4k titles and got an network error message on my Roku Ultra but when I played an HDX movie it was fine so who knows?

lujan
559 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #8649 of 11866 Old 04-10-2018, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've noticed an overall random sluggishness with the VUDU app on the ROKU (Premiere+) here. Sometimes the app doesn't even finish loading and I have to back out and start over. Sometimes content doesn't load, or loads slowly. Doesn't seem to be a network problem here locally as VUDU on other devices, and other content from both the ROKU, and other devices seem to work without issues. So this could be related to the other issues here and could be an intermittent issue with ROKU+VUDU.
post #8650 of 11866 Old 04-10-2018, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I've noticed an overall random sluggishness with the VUDU app on the ROKU (Premiere+) here. Sometimes the app doesn't even finish loading and I have to back out and start over. Sometimes content doesn't load, or loads slowly. Doesn't seem to be a network problem here locally as VUDU on other devices, and other content from both the ROKU, and other devices seem to work without issues. So this could be related to the other issues here and could be an intermittent issue with ROKU+VUDU.
I tend to restart my 4 Roku's about once a week. Basically like a pc reboot. Seems to work better this way.
post #8651 of 11866 Old 04-10-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangflyer View Post
I tend to restart my 4 Roku's about once a week. Basically like a pc reboot. Seems to work better this way.
When you say "reboot" - does that mean power off/on to the unit? Or do you do something w. the remote. We have 2 "+" units and never have had a problem. One is plugged directly into TV, the other into an AVR.
post #8652 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was wondering if the ROKU can play anything in HDR at 30hrtz or lower, or doesn't it strictly require the 60hrtz compatible ports for ALL HDR.

I stuck the ROKU Premiere+ on an HDMI 2.2 port, but not one of the enhanced ones. So it can do HDR at 30, and regular 40 at 60. Since I am under the assumption, it can't do HDR at 30, i stuck it in [email protected] without HDR. Right now the ROKU isn't a critical need as an HDR device. Was just double checking.
post #8653 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was wondering if the ROKU can play anything in HDR at 30hrtz or lower, or doesn't it strictly require the 60hrtz compatible ports for ALL HDR.

I stuck the ROKU Premiere+ on an HDMI 2.2 port, but not one of the enhanced ones. So it can do HDR at 30, and regular 40 at 60. Since I am under the assumption, it can't do HDR at 30, i stuck it in [email protected] without HDR. Right now the ROKU isn't a critical need as an HDR device. Was just double checking.
You should, under Display there are settings for 4K and 4K HDR at 30 and 60Hz but Roku just says they require a HDCP 2.2 port. In general terms HDR10 requires an HDMI 2.0 (Sony term enhanced) port. DolbyVision HDR can be carried at 1080p (HDMI 1.4).
post #8654 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You should, under Display there are settings for 4K and 4K HDR at 30 and 60Hz but Roku just says they require a HDCP 2.2 port. In general terms HDR10 requires an HDMI 2.0 (Sony term enhanced) port. DolbyVision HDR can be carried at 1080p (HDMI 1.4).
Well the Sony UHD player will switch to HDR on a disc when played even on a non enhanced port. So does Apple TV 4k, but ROKU seems to only switch to HDR when on a port that supports [email protected] vs 30. That's why I wondered if ROKU would even work with [email protected], since it doesn't seem to when I've tried.
post #8655 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well the Sony UHD player will switch to HDR on a disc when played even on a non enhanced port. So does Apple TV 4k, but ROKU seems to only switch to HDR when on a port that supports [email protected] vs 30. That's why I wondered if ROKU would even work with [email protected], since it doesn't seem to when I've tried.
I am not a Sony person so I don't really know what an "enhanced" port means perhaps Wide Color Gamut? You could try force setting the display and see if you can view HDR content.

Edit: Maybe a 1.4 port can pass a lower bandwidth HDR10 signal IF you turn off the Roku Chroma settings.

Last edited by naustin; 04-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.
post #8656 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am not a Sony person so I don't really know what an "enhanced" port means perhaps Wide Color Gamut? You could try force setting the display and see if you can view HDR content.

Edit: Maybe a 1.4 port can pass a lower bandwidth HDR10 signal IF you turn off the Roku Chroma settings.
@naustin , sorry for not being more specific. My TV has 4 HDMI 2.0 ports, however 2 are considered enhanced which support 4K and HDR @60, and the other two only support 4K @60, and [email protected] What I was saying is, while the ROKU auto detects the port connection correctly, HDR doesn't seem to work from the ROKU unless it's connected to one of the [email protected] compatible ports instead of 30. I was just getting the impression ROKU can't do HDR unless it's on an [email protected] compatible ports so it's just a [email protected] device now without HDR enabled.
post #8657 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@naustin , sorry for not being more specific. My TV has 4 HDMI 2.0 ports, however 2 are considered enhanced which support 4K and HDR @60, and the other two only support 4K @60, and [email protected] What I was saying is, while the ROKU auto detects the port connection correctly, HDR doesn't seem to work from the ROKU unless it's connected to one of the [email protected] compatible ports instead of 30. I was just getting the impression ROKU can't do HDR unless it's on an [email protected] compatible ports so it's just a [email protected] device now without HDR enabled.
Got it, sounds like enhanced means wide color gamut/enhanced chroma capabilities. I'd suggest turning off the Chroma settings on the Roku which requires a higher speed port and try force setting the display to 4K HDR 30Hz.
post #8658 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got it, sounds like enhanced means wide color gamut/enhanced chroma capabilities. I'd suggest turning off the Chroma settings on the Roku which requires a higher speed port and try force setting the display to 4K HDR 30Hz.
Did that, looks like ROKU requires one of the higher speed ports to switch to HDR, but I can watch normal 4K content just fine. Like I said, HDR from the ROKU right now is not critical. I have the the Apple TV 4K, and SONU UHD player connected to the two enhanced ports. Unless I need HDR from a ROKU channel specifically, I'll just use it as a 4K @ 60 device for now. I also noticed that changing 4.2.0 and 4.2.2 settings in enhanced display settings with the ROKU connected to a port that maxes at HDR @30 made no difference. It didn't even blank the screen. The checkmark simply changed location.
post #8659 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did that, looks like ROKU requires one of the higher speed ports to switch to HDR, but I can watch normal 4K content just fine....
Dare I say it? Did you try those things with Native Refresh Rate enabled? All my ports are [email protected] so I can't test it.
post #8660 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dare I say it? Did you try those things with Native Refresh Rate enabled? All my ports are [email protected] so I can't test it.
I did actually, it made no difference.
naustin likes this.
post #8661 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Just a quick question for you Ultra owners. I currently own an Ultra, and am planning on buying another one for a separate room. Will one “point anywhere” remote be controlling the other Roku Ultra? I am hoping the answer is no.

Thanks in advance.
post #8662 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post
Just a quick question for you Ultra owners. I currently own an Ultra, and am planning on buying another one for a separate room. Will one “point anywhere” remote be controlling the other Roku Ultra? I am hoping the answer is no.

Thanks in advance.
The Roku Ultra and Premiere+ remotes pair through WiFi Direct so you can have multiple devices and only control the one you want.

Even with 3rd party remotes, it's not an issue controlling only the device you wish to control without losing control of another device.

I have the Logitech hubs also with multiple Roku devices: Roku 3 and Ultra. Not a problem with Roku or Logitech remotes; only control the desired device, even if both are in use at same time.

Last edited by brotony; 04-12-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Correct the pair methodology
post #8663 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
The Roku Ultra and Premiere+ remotes pair through Bluetooth so you can have multiple devices and only control the one you want.

Even with 3rd party remotes, it's not an issue controlling only the device you wish to control without losing control of another device.

I have the Logitech hubs also with multiple Roku devices: Roku 3 and Ultra. Not a problem with Roku or Logitech remotes; only control the desired device, even if both are in use at same time.

Awesome! Thanks for your most helpful reply.
post #8664 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
The Roku Ultra and Premiere+ remotes pair through Bluetooth so you can have multiple devices and only control the one you want.

Nope, not Bluetooth. The old 2 XS was the only Roku with a Bluetooth remote. The remaining remotes use a Wi-Fi direct connection between the remote and player. But they are "paired" in a similar way that Bluetooth works. I have four different Rokus in the house that all use Wi-Fi direct, and there's no interaction between any of them.
rdgcss and brotony like this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #8665 of 11866 Old 04-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Nope, not Bluetooth. The old 2 XS was the only Roku with a Bluetooth remote. The remaining remotes use a Wi-Fi direct connection between the remote and player. But they are "paired" in a similar way that Bluetooth works. I have four different Rokus in the house that all use Wi-Fi direct, and there's no interaction between any of them.
Noted. Thanks.

post #8666 of 11866 Old 04-12-2018, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1821
anyone using their Roku device with an Oppo 203 in the HDMI input?
post #8667 of 11866 Old 04-12-2018, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
anyone using their Roku device with an Oppo 203 in the HDMI input?
Yes Roku Ultra 2017 works fine My OPPO goes main into my lg 65g7 audio into HDMI input on Samsung K950 soundbar

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #8668 of 11866 Old 04-12-2018, 04:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1821
Thanks william06 for your response.! I have a projector, and am thinking about using the Roku Ultra into the 203. I guess I will just have to check it out. Just got the 203 yesterday, so I should have time this weekend to experiment.
post #8669 of 11866 Old 04-12-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Enjoy hope it works out for you.

Lg oled65G7P
Panasonic UB9000 pioneer lx500
atv4k -roku ultra
Toshiba Xa2 HD-DVD
Samsung HW-N950 soundbar
post #8670 of 11866 Old 04-12-2018, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Sirius Cuts In & Out on Ultra

Hello All-

This is my first post on this thread. I've had the Ultra for a while, and find that any channel on Sirius plays and then cuts out for a second or two. The signal returns and then goes out again.

I have Sirius on my TV and my Bluray player, and they're solid. Also have Sirius on my phone, in cars and "listen online" from my pc.

Reported to Roku, they said contact Sirius who said call Roku, since they needs to check it "from their end."

I have the Roku Ultra connected via HDMI to a Sony TV, then down the ARC to a soundbar. I also have an optical cable from the Roku directly to the soundbar to use for music without having to turn on the TV.

Both of these signal paths have intermittent loss on Sirius.

Has anyone experienced this type of problem?

Thanks!
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page