Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 306 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11185Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9151 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
With the amount of testing you do with your Roku.....you really should sign up and participate in the beta program. It was a bit of a mess when I was in it.....but they could use some good testers.
@kbmb , I've considered it, especially back when there lots of issues. The truth is, I really don't use my ROKU a lot anymore. Yes, I do test when something goes wrong. But I would much rather test for a company like Apple where they let you get into the guts of the OS, to get information. From my understanding ROKU doesn't, and if you offer to do so, like I did last year to help figure out what was going wrong, I pretty much got warned about getting banned from the forum.

That's why I have been searching for other solutions because ROKU has turned me off when it comes to a professional company and solving issues.

Personally I'm ok with the hardware when it works, but the attitude of the community and the past software quality has really made me question if I want to take time helping them, if they're even worth helping when there are better options out there.
MacinMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9152 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Keep in mind "HD audio" includes Dolby Digital at high bitrates (576-640kbps), Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD HR.
Are we talking about the same thing here? Just want to make sure. I'm talking HD audio as in "lossless audio" such as TRUEHD, and DTS HD MA. ATMOS, that's lossless is an extension for TRUEHD 7.1 from what I understand. If the receiver doesn't support ATMOS, it's simply played as TRUEHD 7.1, or 5.1 if it's a 5.1 system. If it's ATMOST compatible then the ATMOS flags are enabled and ATMOS is sent.

From what I've also read, DTSX, is different as DTS enables it on 2.0 and up outputs.

When I said the ROKU doesn't do "HD Audio" I was referring to the lossless formats.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9153 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
@kbmb , I've considered it, especially back when there lots of issues. The truth is, I really don't use my ROKU a lot anymore. Yes, I do test when something goes wrong. But I would much rather test for a company like Apple where they let you get into the guts of the OS, to get information. From my understanding ROKU doesn't, and if you offer to do so, like I did last year to help figure out what was going wrong, I pretty much got warned about getting banned from the forum.

That's why I have been searching for other solutions because ROKU has turned me off when it comes to a professional company and solving issues.

Personally I'm ok with the hardware when it works, but the attitude of the community and the past software quality has really made me question if I want to take time helping them, if they're even worth helping when there are better options out there.
Anyone can beta test on Apple......and FYI, Apple doesn't care at all about what you say or report. Roku was actually more responsive in beta than Apple has ever been for me. If you are a paid Apple developer you have a better chance with BugReporter.....but still, 9 out of 10 times your bug is marked as a duplicate and you never hear again.

Sounds like you need to sell your Rokus and replace them with Apple TVs. Good luck!
galonzo likes this.
kbmb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9154 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Anyone can beta test on Apple......and FYI, Apple doesn't care at all about what you say or report. Roku was actually more responsive in beta than Apple has ever been for me. If you are a paid Apple developer you have a better chance with BugReporter.....but still, 9 out of 10 times your bug is marked as a duplicate and you never hear again.

Sounds like you need to sell your Rokus and replace them with Apple TVs. Good luck!
@kbmb : I am surprised you had an issue with apple. I know there are people who have good and bad experiences with any company. I'm just saying when I had issues with apple and provided them info. They got fixed, and an engineer contacted me to make sure it was fixed in the beta before it went final.

As far as ROKU, it is true that I've never officially jointed the beta program. And while ShawnC from the Forum did offer to enroll me (which was a nice gesture). I just got the feeling they and the ROKU community didn't care mainly based on watching the responses of others. On this thread, and their own forums. Maybe I got the wrong impression and just assumed.

@naustin : I did get [email protected], and [email protected] to work on the Roku Ising a port that's [email protected] [email protected] since I only have 2 HDR @60 ports and they are filled. Not sure what I did other then change from 4.2.0, to 4.2.2. When I tested an HDR YT video, it changed to HDR, and the TV had the badge in picture settings as a confirmation.

@kbmb : to finish addressing your first statement: I do have 2 Apple TVs a 4, and a 4K, and a ChromeCast Ultra, plus my blu-ray and UHD blu-ray player + a standard DVDplayer to make things simple and to have features for DVDs that blu-ray players dropped.

@naustin one more thing. I changed the screen saver to 1 minute and so far it's working without issues again.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9155 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Wanted to add that [email protected] seems to be working reliably now as I am watching JUMANJI (special edition Robin Williams) in 4K HDR via the integrated FandangoNoW on the ROKU Peremiere+ Also set screen saver to 5 minutes instead of one just to give it some time beofe it kicks in. Just so I don't have to wake it up all the time when idle.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9156 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Are we talking about the same thing here? Just want to make sure. I'm talking HD audio as in "lossless audio" such as TRUEHD, and DTS HD MA. ATMOS, that's lossless is an extension for TRUEHD 7.1 from what I understand. If the receiver doesn't support ATMOS, it's simply played as TRUEHD 7.1, or 5.1 if it's a 5.1 system. If it's ATMOST compatible then the ATMOS flags are enabled and ATMOS is sent.

From what I've also read, DTSX, is different as DTS enables it on 2.0 and up outputs.

When I said the ROKU doesn't do "HD Audio" I was referring to the lossless formats.
I was just saying that technically it does support "HD Audio" because Dolby Digital Plus is a HD audio format, just not lossless. DD+ with Atmos just has the objects encoded as an extension (in lossy format). HD audio does not have to be lossless.

DTS:X can either be on DTS-HD MA (lossless) or DTS-HD HR (lossy) as well. Fandango Now uses DTS-HD HR I believe.
What you're referring to is DTS Neural:X which is a surround processing mode taking a 2.0 source and upmixing it to 5.1/7.1/11.1

But you are correct that the Roku does not support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA, and there are no streaming services that provide it - too much bandwidth required. Unless it's one of those pre-downloaded services like Kaleidescape.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
PeterTHX is offline  
post #9157 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
I was just saying that technically it does support "HD Audio" because Dolby Digital Plus is a HD audio format, just not lossless. DD+ with Atmos just has the objects encoded as an extension (in lossy format). HD audio does not have to be lossless.

DTS:X can either be on DTS-HD MA (lossless) or DTS-HD HR (lossy) as well. Fandango Now uses DTS-HD HR I believe.
What you're referring to is DTS Neural:X which is a surround processing mode taking a 2.0 source and upmixing it to 5.1/7.1/11.1

But you are correct that the Roku does not support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA, and there are no streaming services that provide it - too much bandwidth required. Unless it's one of those pre-downloaded services like Kaleidescape.
After reading this, that makes a lot of sense, and explains why DD+ will only transfer as DD+ over a direct HDMI connection. Otherwise it transfers as standard DD 5.1, or in the case of the ROKU and Netflix it gets output as stereo instead of converted on some setups.

Never considered DD+ as HD since it wasn't lossless. The fact it only works over an HDMI connection vs optical or ARC, would confirm that though.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9158 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
New developments on the ROKU sleep issue. I restarted it probably a half hour ago, it went to sleep, the light turned off. Went and took a bath, came out and the light was back on. The TV is off, and everything out here in this setup is idle / off. I really wish I knew what was going on here.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9159 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
rjhseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
New developments on the ROKU sleep issue. I restarted it probably a half hour ago, it went to sleep, the light turned off. Went and took a bath, came out and the light was back on. The TV is off, and everything out here in this setup is idle / off. I really wish I knew what was going on here.
Is it showing Netflix slides? Netflix has taken over my Roku Premiere and does this but only after I’ve gone to sleep watching Netflix.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
rjhseven is offline  
post #9160 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Is it showing Netflix slides? Netflix has taken over my Roku Premiere and does this but only after I’ve gone to sleep watching Netflix.
No channels are open. I am familiar with the Netflix slides if I've left it idle with Netflix open. This is at the home screen with nothing open. After a fresh reboot, it will sleep, then it will wake up on it's own sometimes go back to sleep. It's very odd behavior.

That's why I had it completely disconnected for a while. I have no idea what's doing it (none of the usual suspects people offer). I figured keeping it completely powered off was safer in case something is going on and it's sending some kind of data it shouldn't Or listening for data etc.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9161 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
After seeing this next behavior, I'm starting to think my ROKU is ready for the trash. It's either dying hardware, or a very badly bugged software install.


I didn't catch it on video, though I tried, but not only is it doing what's shown here, but it was randomly toggling between the Home screen and screensaver on it's own.
I wanted to get enough on video but not make it too long.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9162 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
After seeing this next behavior, I'm starting to think my ROKU is ready for the trash. It's either dying hardware, or a very badly bugged software install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag0lpNIhUhA


I didn't catch it on video, though I tried, but not only is it doing what's shown here, but it was randomly toggling between the Home screen and screensaver on it's own.
I wanted to get enough on video but not make it too long.
I'm not on the 8.1 update but only recall a short period prior to an update being pulled that I had to wait for screensaver timeout period before I could actually navigate after waking the Roku.

Maybe I did a factory reset too. I've also had occasions after connecting an HDMI device that odd HDMI behavior required all cables removed from TV, remove TV power, drain power circuit with TV power on until LED fails to remain lit, wait a little longer and cable up and restore power. After some induced occurrences of this tint push on TV screen, I was able to deduce that disconnecting and reconnecting the ATV4K HDMI cable was causing this on my Samsung JS9500 TV. Rebooting devices would not clear this up for me.

Maybe try those options before the trash bin?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
brotony is offline  
post #9163 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
I'm not on the 8.1 update but only recall a short period prior to an update being pulled that I had to wait for screensaver timeout period before I could actually navigate after waking the Roku.

Maybe I did a factory reset too. I've also had occasions after connecting an HDMI device that odd HDMI behavior required all cables removed from TV, remove TV power, drain power circuit with TV power on until LED fails to remain lit, wait a little longer and cable up and restore power. After some induced occurrences of this tint push on TV screen, I was able to deduce that disconnecting and reconnecting the ATV4K HDMI cable was causing this on my Samsung JS9500 TV. Rebooting devices would not clear this up for me.

Maybe try those options before the trash bin?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I haven't thrown it out yet. I did switch it out for my 2016 streaming stick, and while it's only a 1080p device, it's working perfectly. I did this to see if there was anything else triggering this.
I'm pretty confident that this is an isolated issue either to the 8.1 update, or failing hardware. I say this because the Premiere+ has always been very responsive. I could turn on the TV it would come on showing the ROKU screen saver, i would hit OK on the remote, and it would be ready to go. @brotony : did you even see where it loaded netflix and flipped out? I didn't even do that. I didn't try to load any apps in this video, it was simply doing all this on it's own. The only thing I did was move the arrow pad.


Everything I showed tonight seems to be a downward spiral of a hardware meltdown. It's true, it could be a software bug, but no one else on this forum who's updated seems to be having these problems. Does ROKU still let you go back a version via the secret screen for software updates?
The did for a while back in os 7.5x. I haven't written off doing a factory reset either. This just seems to be a bit extreme in my book to just be software alone.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9164 of 13701 Old 06-11-2018, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I haven't thrown it out yet. I did switch it out for my 2016 streaming stick, and while it's only a 1080p device, it's working perfectly. I did this to see if there was anything else triggering this.
I'm pretty confident that this is an isolated issue either to the 8.1 update, or failing hardware. I say this because the Premiere+ has always been very responsive. I could turn on the TV it would come on showing the ROKU screen saver, i would hit OK on the remote, and it would be ready to go. @brotony : did you even see where it loaded netflix and flipped out? I didn't even do that. I didn't try to load any apps in this video, it was simply doing all this on it's own. The only thing I did was move the arrow pad.


Everything I showed tonight seems to be a downward spiral of a hardware meltdown. It's true, it could be a software bug, but no one else on this forum who's updated seems to be having these problems. Does ROKU still let you go back a version via the secret screen for software updates?
The did for a while back in os 7.5x. I haven't written off doing a factory reset either. This just seems to be a bit extreme in my book to just be software alone.
I don't use the Roku for Netflix because of the lack of user screensaver in the Roku app. I use the Apple TV 4K for Netflix instead; was watching Netflix earlier but right now I'm looking at my user screensaver.

I also use Logitech Harmony so Roku returns home prior to system power down. Apple TV now instantly sleeps at power down with Logitech Harmony.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
brotony is offline  
post #9165 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roland6465's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
I don't use the Roku for Netflix because of the lack of user screensaver in the Roku app. I use the Apple TV 4K for Netflix instead; was watching Netflix earlier but right now I'm looking at my user screensaver.

I also use Logitech Harmony so Roku returns home prior to system power down. Apple TV now instantly sleeps at power down with Logitech Harmony.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Really? I know this isn't the forum, but is this for all Harmonys or just the ones with the hub?
roland6465 is offline  
post #9166 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I posted the problem, and my Video on ROKU's development forum section, so hopefully someone over there who has the knowledge and authority to do something will get back to me.
For now I've replaced the Premiere+ with my 2016 black streaming stick (though 1080p only) is stable, and will due until I can get this Premiere+ either fixed, or replaced at some point depending on if this turns out to be software or hardware.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9167 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
Really? I know this isn't the forum, but is this for all Harmonys or just the ones with the hub?
Hub only, I believe. If interested, there's a Logitech faq for that. Scroll around for more info. The Home button works for app switcher and force closing apps too.

Not all the Bluetooth commands but a good start.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...e-tv#appleTVBT
@MacinMan
downgrade Roku OS may be an option if factory reset or described hard cycling doesn't help.

I doubt you can go back any farther than 8.0.1 build 4090 though as that's the only option I see right now and that's what mine is currently on. But you could verify the most recent update for said issues.

Secret menu #1 is where you'll find the manual update/downgrade option. Sadly, it didn't find the update for me.

Home 5x
FFW 3x
RW 2x (button sequence from Roku remote)


Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
brotony is offline  
post #9168 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Hub only, I believe. If interested, there's a Logitech faq for that. Scroll around for more info. The Home button works for app switcher and force closing apps too.

Not all the Bluetooth commands but a good start.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...e-tv#appleTVBT
@MacinMan
downgrade Roku OS may be an option if factory reset or described hard cycling doesn't help.

I doubt you can go back any farther than 8.0.1 build 4090 though as that's the only option I see right now and that's what mine is currently on. But you could verify the most recent update for said issues.

Secret menu #1 is where you'll find the manual update/downgrade option. Sadly, it didn't find the update for me.

Home 5x
FFW 3x
RW 2x (button sequence from Roku remote)


Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
@brotony , going back would be good. 8.0.1 Build 4090 on that device was rock solid in the same setup. It was only as of 8.1 4113, these issues showed up.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9169 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
brotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
@brotony , going back would be good. 8.0.1 Build 4090 on that device was rock solid in the same setup. It was only as of 8.1 4113, these issues showed up.
Try it. As mentioned before Roku controls the updates and access to updates. You could downgrade and verify but Roku, at some point, will likely roll it forward again. Might take awhile to get back to you though.

I know I mistakenly rolled mine back to OS 7 after being one of the first to get OS 8 and it was a long while waiting to get the update again.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
brotony is offline  
post #9170 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Try it. As mentioned before Roku controls the updates and access to updates. You could downgrade and verify but Roku, at some point, will likely roll it forward again. Might take awhile to get back to you though.

I know I mistakenly rolled mine back to OS 7 after being one of the first to get OS 8 and it was a long while waiting to get the update again.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
@brotony , was able to roll back, seems stable now, and a normal software update recognizes that 8.0.1 4090 is the latest software. I did lose [email protected] after going back though. It was working under 8.1, but going back only gives me regular [email protected] on the port I'm using. The 2 [email protected] ports are in use.

At this point I'd rather have a stable device over HDR.
brotony likes this.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9171 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,941
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Got my brand new Ultra yesterday (yay!) But not really... its been a horrible experience so far.

After the FW update, it got stuck on display screen and had to pull the plug out. Then had trouble getting any sound from Roku as it does zero audio decoding. Had to let my TV do the sound decoding which on a Samsung KS9800 is also horrible in its own way bc it doesnt automatically switch between Dolby and DTS, I have to manually switch it everytime depending on the source. Then, once I got all this working and played hdr10 videos through Vudu and Amazon, the UHD picture got all yellow. Afterwards, even the sdr pq had super red fleshtones. Still cant get rid of yellow HDR image, tried different settings, cables, ports etc. What worked is turning off and on the uhd color setting on my Samsung. But even that didnt stick. Also, even after I got the HDR10 picture to work correctly, the Jurassic world UHD still looked very off on Vudu and so did the Matrix with elevated blacks. These are not close to the Disc quality.

So far, its been a disaster. I think I will just return the thing and stick to streaming apps on my TV and X800.

LG 77C9PUB + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #9172 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Got my brand new Ultra yesterday (yay!) But not really... its been a horrible experience so far.

After the FW update, it got stuck on display screen and had to pull the plug out. Then had trouble getting any sound from Roku as it does zero audio decoding. Had to let my TV do the sound decoding which on a Samsung KS9800 is also horrible in its own way bc it doesnt automatically switch between Dolby and DTS, I have to manually switch it everytime depending on the source. Then, once I got all this working and played hdr10 videos through Vudu and Amazon, the UHD picture got all yellow. Afterwards, even the sdr pq had super red fleshtones. Still cant get rid of yellow HDR image, tried different settings, cables, ports etc. What worked is turning off and on the uhd color setting on my Samsung. But even that didnt stick. Also, even after I got the HDR10 picture to work correctly, the Jurassic world UHD still looked very off on Vudu and so did the Matrix with elevated blacks. These are not close to the Disc quality.

So far, its been a disaster. I think I will just return the thing and stick to streaming apps on my TV and X800.
The 4K apple TV isn't a bad streamer and I've heard good things about the MiBox if you want a little android TV box. I like the X800, I have one as well, and it works well.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9173 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Since rolling back my Premiere+ to build 4090 it's working as usual. The only thing lost in the end seems to be [email protected] functionality.
naustin likes this.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9174 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,941
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Got my brand new Ultra yesterday (yay!) But not really... its been a horrible experience so far.

After the FW update, it got stuck on display screen and had to pull the plug out. Then had trouble getting any sound from Roku as it does zero audio decoding. Had to let my TV do the sound decoding which on a Samsung KS9800 is also horrible in its own way bc it doesnt automatically switch between Dolby and DTS, I have to manually switch it everytime depending on the source. Then, once I got all this working and played hdr10 videos through Vudu and Amazon, the UHD picture got all yellow. Afterwards, even the sdr pq had super red fleshtones. Still cant get rid of yellow HDR image, tried different settings, cables, ports etc. What worked is turning off and on the uhd color setting on my Samsung. But even that didnt stick. Also, even after I got the HDR10 picture to work correctly, the Jurassic world UHD still looked very off on Vudu and so did the Matrix with elevated blacks. These are not close to the Disc quality.

So far, its been a disaster. I think I will just return the thing and stick to streaming apps on my TV and X800.
The 4K apple TV isn't a bad streamer and I've heard good things about the MiBox if you want a little android TV box. I like the X800, I have one as well, and it works well.
Thanks, I'll look into MiBox. I might even give the new Amazon Fire Cube a try, it releases on the 21st and also does Atmos on its own. Wish Roku lived up to the expectations of all in one streamer with Audio to boot.

LG 77C9PUB + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is offline  
post #9175 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 21,177
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 6073
I have been a mostly happy Apple user for more than 15 years but had not heretofore considered an Apple TV 4K. Today, though, I logged onto the Netflix client on my old Apple TV and was blown away by its interface. Can somebody explain why Apple's implementation of the Netflix streaming app is so much slicker and easy to use than the Netflix app on my Premiere+?

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
gwsat is offline  
post #9176 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kbmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I have been a mostly happy Apple user for more than 15 years but had not heretofore considered an Apple TV 4K. Today, though, I logged onto the Netflix client on my old Apple TV and was blown away by its interface. Can somebody explain why Apple's implementation of the Netflix streaming app is so much slicker and easy to use than the Netflix app on my Premiere+?
Curious as to the difference you are seeing. The Netflix apps on my Roku Ultra and ATV4K are basically the same......rows of shows with the ever so annoying autoplay previews.
galonzo and naustin like this.
kbmb is offline  
post #9177 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I have been a mostly happy Apple user for more than 15 years but had not heretofore considered an Apple TV 4K. Today, though, I logged onto the Netflix client on my old Apple TV and was blown away by its interface. Can somebody explain why Apple's implementation of the Netflix streaming app is so much slicker and easy to use than the Netflix app on my Premiere+?
@gwsat : I was going to say, Netflix maintains the app on both platforms. When I called last year I had a good technical conversation with the person from Netflix, and he explained that stuff like ROKU, Apple TV, iOS, etc they maintain the app themselves. For stuff like TVs blu-ray players, etc the third party developer maintains the apps using the SDK Netflix provides. It's been a while, but there is a mix of what Netflix maintains directly, vs the third party.


How old are you talking? 4th generation? or older? The netflix app on my Apple TV 4 / 4k is the same general layout as any modern device with netflix within the last several years.
MacinMan is offline  
post #9178 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 21,177
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 6073
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
@gwsat : I was going to say, Netflix maintains the app on both platforms. When I called last year I had a good technical conversation with the person from Netflix, and he explained that stuff like ROKU, Apple TV, iOS, etc they maintain the app themselves. For stuff like TVs blu-ray players, etc the third party developer maintains the apps using the SDK Netflix provides. It's been a while, but there is a mix of what Netflix maintains directly, vs the third party.


How old are you talking? 4th generation? or older? The netflix app on my Apple TV 4 / 4k is the same general layout as any modern device with netflix within the last several years.
Yeah, I should have explained that my current Apple TV is old. It is a 2012 model, which I bought in March 2013. It has been just fine but of course is limited to 1080P resolution. Anyway, for whatever reason, when I select a show, the way the Apple TV displays the available episodes is more convenient than the version I see on my Premiere+.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
gwsat is offline  
post #9179 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 09:04 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,957
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9985 Post(s)
Liked: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Keep in mind "HD audio" includes Dolby Digital at high bitrates (576-640kbps), Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD HR.
HD audio refers to the advanced audio codecs. Which is not legacy DD, at any bitrate.
gwsat likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-12-2018 at 09:33 AM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #9180 of 13701 Old 06-12-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
HD audio refers to the advanced audio codecs. Which is not legacy DD, at any bitrate.
That conflicts with what Dolby told me at the launch of Blu-ray/HD DVD. They considered DD @640kbps HD Audio - audibly transparent to the master.
Also audio tricks the codec uses like coupling are no longer used/needed at that rate.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
PeterTHX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off