Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10127Likes

post #9481 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I've been trying to get an answer from Roku and Vudu but trying to get a definitive answer from either is like pulling teeth. Does the Roku Ultra support Vudu 4K HDR? Pretty simple straight forward question. Thanks any help.
It does. It will support HDR10 only, not Dolby Vision. Make sure to check the movie in Vudu to see if it has a HDR version, not all do.
gwsat and galonzo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4727 Post(s)
Liked: 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I've been trying to get an answer from Roku and Vudu but trying to get a definitive answer from either is like pulling teeth. Does the Roku Ultra support Vudu 4K HDR? Pretty simple straight forward question. Thanks any help.
Yes, it does as I have many 4k HDR titles on Vudu and am able to watch them on my Roku Ultra.
galonzo likes this.

lujan
570 Ultra HD
726 HD
4 SD
post #9483 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5830
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
It does. It will support HDR10 only, not Dolby Vision. Make sure to check the movie in Vudu to see if it has a HDR version, not all do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Yes, it does as I have many 4k HDR titles on Vudu and am able to watch them on my Roku Ultra.
Yep. The Premiere+ also supports the HDR10 version of UHD HDR from Vudu.
galonzo likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9484 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 12:56 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9428 Post(s)
Liked: 6110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Yep. The Premiere+ also supports the HDR10 version of UHD HDR from Vudu.
As does the Streaming Stick +.
galonzo likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9485 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Excellent! Thank you. My display, the 900E doesn't support Dolby Vision so I'm great with HDR 10. Excellent, and again thank you for the info. Why Vudu or Roku couldn't answer that I have no idea.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
kbmb likes this.
post #9486 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Thank you, awesome news. Appreciate it. My display doesn't support Dolby Vision so I'm all set with just HDR 10. Thanks again.

post #9487 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Manually checked for an update yesterday and updated my 2016 Ultra to 8.1. Ever since I've had picture drop outs and get HDCP error flashes periodically. I've unplugged and replugged all the HDMI cables, nothing has changed in my system w/everything through my receiver per usual, and had no issues before the update with 4k and HDR.

Also seeing the Roku staying on forever when I power off the TV and receiver or switch to another device.

Hopefully this gets worked out. Don't want my World Cup viewing interrupted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #9488 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post
Manually checked for an update yesterday and updated my 2016 Ultra to 8.1. Ever since I've had picture drop outs and get HDCP error flashes periodically. I've unplugged and replugged all the HDMI cables, nothing has changed in my system w/everything through my receiver per usual, and had no issues before the update with 4k and HDR.

Also seeing the Roku staying on forever when I power off the TV and receiver or switch to another device.

Try physically unplugging and restarting after the update.
galonzo likes this.
post #9489 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I received the update today. No restart yet. No problems, but I'm not a power user.
post #9490 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I ordered my Roku Ultra, can't wait to get it up and running. Easy to set up and to navigate and use?

post #9491 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
My 2016 Roku Ultra had received 8.1.0 Build 4137 when I checked this morning. I attempted to watch the first two episodes of The Expanse on Amazon Prime. The first episode had no sound, but after I exited and re-selected the episode I did get audio, so I thought it was a fluke. However, later on I tried to watch Episode 2 and once again there was no audio. Exiting and re-selecting the program several times did not correct the issue. I ended up watching the episode on my ATV4K. Roku's cracker jack software "engineering" team strikes again! Great job with that quality control, guys -- oh, that's right, Roku doesn't know what quality control is.

I don't know why I even bother trying my two 4K Roku boxes anymore.
post #9492 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
My 2016 Roku Ultra had received 8.1.0 Build 4137 when I checked this morning. I attempted to watch the first two episodes of The Expanse on Amazon Prime. The first episode had no sound, but after I exited and re-selected the episode I did get audio, so I thought it was a fluke. However, later on I tried to watch Episode 2 and once again there was no audio. Exiting and re-selecting the program several times did not correct the issue. I ended up watching the episode on my ATV4K. Roku's cracker jack software "engineering" team strikes again! Great job with that quality control, guys -- oh, that's right, Roku doesn't know what quality control is.

Faster people give up the rokus and move on, the faster the company can go out of business. Every release has problems. Apples are looking to best the best streamers.
Ted99 likes this.
post #9493 of 12182 Old 06-29-2018, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Unplugged and replugged everything, rebooted several times, and altered the settings (turning frame match off then back on for example)...so far something seemed to do the trick and I've had no issues streaming some Simpsons on FX, 4K HDR demos on YouTube, and Arrested Development on Netflix.

Fingers crossed! I love Roku and don't want to spend the money on Apple (all Android ecosystem here) so I hope it keeps working.

kbmb, galonzo, naustin and 1 others like this.
post #9494 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:

I have the same issue with the ROKU and stand by issues ever since the update. I can't make any sense out of it. It does in fact to be an HDMI related issue, however fully disabling CEC on the TV, and ROKU don't solve it, and I thought I had it fixed this morning by leaving the TV set to a DIFFERENT HDMI port when powering off (one other then which the ROKU is connected) and while that seems to keep it asleep while the TV is on, as soon as the TV is turned off, it wakes back up. It's strange because the ROKU port isn't the active port when the TV is shut off.

I thought it was related to which screensaver I had selected, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have thought about disconnecting the HDMI cable from the ROKU itself while the TV is off, to see if it's even related to the HDMI connection to the TV at all, or if it's something internally going on that doesn't matter if it's connected or not.

Thankfully, I haven't had any streaming issues, or HDCP errors, it just won't stay in standby no matter what I do. This doesn't even seem to be a 4K specific issue either, The Premiere+ that I stuck in the bedroom for the 1080p setup, has the same issue when it comes to stand by, and CEC is completely disabled in there. The only two devices that have it, and can't have it disabled are the sound bar, and HDMI switch, they only activate it if they detect another device in the chain that has it enabled. So with everything having CEC disabled that can have it disabled (including the ROKU) HDMI weirdness shouldn't be happening in there like this.
post #9495 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Unplugged and replugged everything, rebooted several times, and altered the settings (turning frame match off then back on for example)...so far something seemed to do the trick and I've had no issues streaming some Simpsons on FX, 4K HDR demos on YouTube, and Arrested Development on Netflix.

Fingers crossed! I love Roku and don't want to spend the money on Apple (all Android ecosystem here) so I hope it keeps working.

ROKU isn't Android. I do like Android TV though. I have a mixed setup.
post #9496 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I have the Ultra hooked up to an HW-K850 sound bar. When I'm watching something on VUDU with ATMOS, it sounds great. With anything else, any time there's music that characters are supposed to be hearing (music in a club etc) the music is muted and the bass is enhanced. It only happens with the Ultra, and from various Roku channels. It never happens when I play something from the TiVo. Clearly there's a setting on the Ultra that is not compatible with the sound bar. Any suggestions?
post #9497 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
ROKU isn't Android. I do like Android TV though. I have a mixed setup.
I know...it was more a statement of why I won't get an Apple TV.

Had issues again this morning during the France/Argentina match. Roku randomly locked up and restarted, then no picture, unplug, replug, power cycle and then stable. We'll see what happens when I try and watch later tonight on delay.

If this keeps up I'll just use the internal apps on my Sony TV.

post #9498 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Had issues again this morning during the France/Argentina match. Roku randomly locked up and restarted, then no picture, unplug, replug, power cycle and then stable. We'll see what happens when I try and watch later tonight on delay.

I left a message for RokuDale this morning on their forums. He responded to someone else with a similar issue, so I sent him a PM regarding the strange standby issues and all my info of course regarding model and SN info, etc. Will post when I hear back.
JohnnytheSkin and galonzo like this.
post #9499 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Same here. Doesnt matter if its Netflix, Prime, etc. Audio will just drop out and stay off until I restart the Roku. Never happened until this update.I may have to resort to a factory reset to see if it addresses this.
post #9500 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jim_ View Post
Same here. Doesnt matter if its Netflix, Prime, etc. Audio will just drop out and stay off until I restart the Roku. Never happened until this update.I may have to resort to a factory reset to see if it addresses this.
IMHO any firmware 'upgrade' from any CE company should be rolled out to the executive board members and their families, engineers and CS department employees for a month before it is forced upon the public.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #9501 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:

I am not part of the Apple ecosystem, either, but still bought an Apple TV 4K (well, I actually used Amazon points to get it at no cost). The box has been very stable -- certainly better than the two Roku 4K boxes I own with different things breaking after most firmware updates. If Roku's strategy is to become more of a software than a hardware company, they are in deep trouble with the development teams they have.
post #9502 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am not part of the Apple ecosystem, either, but still bought an Apple TV 4K (well, I actually used Amazon points to get it at no cost). The box has been very stable -- certainly better than the two Roku 4K boxes I own with different things breaking after most firmware updates. If Roku's strategy is to become more of a software than a hardware company, they are in deep trouble with the development teams they have.
It's pretty sad, ROKU was for the most part Rock solid, until they got into the 4k Market. Although, I wouldn't point my finger specifically at ROKU, ever since the new standards came out, there's been a lot of growing pains all over the place.
post #9503 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4727 Post(s)
Liked: 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
It's pretty sad, ROKU was for the most part Rock solid, until they got into the 4k Market. Although, I wouldn't point my finger specifically at ROKU, ever since the new standards came out, there's been a lot of growing pains all over the place.
I agree, I never had issues with my Roku 3 and used to use it all the time. Now I hardly ever use my Roku 4 or Roku Ultra. Probably won't be buying another Roku.

lujan
570 Ultra HD
726 HD
4 SD
post #9504 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 12:36 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9428 Post(s)
Liked: 6110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Van Boven View Post
Faster people give up the rokus and move on, the faster the company can go out of business. Every release has problems. Apples are looking to best the best streamers.
My ATV 4K can't even bitsream anything. At least my Rokus can.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk
galonzo and Mr.G like this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9505 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My ATV 4K can't even bitsream anything. At least my Rokus can.
I had no idea that the Apple TV 4K couldn't bitstream audio to my AVR. Glad I learned it in time. That failing is a dealbreaker for me and will remain one until and unless Apple adds bitstream support. Surprising how much more appealing my Premiere+ just became.
galonzo likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #9506 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4035 Post(s)
Liked: 3741
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I had no idea that the Apple TV 4K couldn't bitstream audio to my AVR. Glad I learned it in time. That failing is a dealbreaker for me and will remain one until and unless Apple adds bitstream support. Surprising how much more appealing my Premiere+ just became.
It will pass lossless LPCM to the AVR though, and Atmos for streaming sites is due in tvOS 12 in Sept. No word on whether Atmos bitstreaming from local LAN files though most believe that will not happen.
post #9507 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jim_ View Post
Tried a factory reset. Just happened again. Looks like I'll be using the ATV until the next update.
post #9508 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It will pass lossless LPCM to the AVR though, and Atmos for streaming sites is due in tvOS 12 in Sept. No word on whether Atmos bitstreaming from local LAN files though most believe that will not happen.
Yeah, I had thought about what the ability to pass lossy Atmos, which is to be added to the ATV4K in tvOS 12, might mean. Time will tell.
Keenan likes this.

post #9509 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Remember when I was having a problem finding a good copy of Titan A.E. with surround sound for streaming? Today I actually found my DVD i thought I had lost, so I have it in DTS sound. So ripped it to Plex, so now have a good local copy for local streaming. Didn't have to buy a new DVD either.

Sadly I don't think it ever got a Blu-ray release, so I have SD for local quality. At least the soundtrack is good quality, and the video mastering isn't bad either.
post #9510 of 12182 Old 06-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I use my Roku Ultra less too. I know that Roku is working on an improved voice assistant but I also think Roku should work to improve on showing a status or progress bar without pausing or laying an intrusive overlay on the screen.

And there are apps that limit or omit features, particularly commercial skip capabilities that really take away from viewer experience. PlayStation Vue says it's because they haven't the Roku app yet; maybe, but when will that happen?

OS updates don't take months to rollout on Apple devices and many OS issues get squashed in developer and open public beta testing. Not all but bugs can get squashed before the general public sees updates.

Apple does these well and Roku should take note of that and quickly improve the overall Roku experience. With the simplified remote came the pause/play button toggling the 2 functions. Annoys me to frustration to demand restoring the ability to quickly see time remaining without such inconvenience or annoyance.

And don't let app developers override custom screensavers. Simple viewer preferences and fixes but I'm less annoyed with Apple TV.

I'm not pro Apple or heavily invested in the Apple eco system but see Roku as an independent device less prone to competitive vices of giants like Amazon, Apple, and Google. I'd also prefer not to have to buy a streamer from all these giants either. So I think it best that Roku adapts and competes to retain its market share because it seems it will lose it if slow to change.

Roku is behind in some development areas but isn't Roku still profiting from going public with shares/investment? If so, these should improve too.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page