Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 325 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9767Likes

post #9721 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seryl View Post
Thanks, yes I did. Weird thing is, I looked at Amazon on my TV app and it was the same as the Ultra and the X800, only one show in HDR. Whatever the problem is, it is spread across all three of my devices.
On the Roku, the Amazon app was just updated yesterday. Both of my HDR Rokus now show Amazon HDR. If you haven't tried as of yesterday, check to see the version number of the Amazon channel (hit * while over the Amazon channel on the home screen). It should be version 10.1 2018070916. If not, try to update again.
Sgooter and Seryl like this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 06:32 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8978 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Thanks, yes I did. Weird thing is, I looked at Amazon on my TV app and it was the same as the Ultra and the X800, only one show in HDR. Whatever the problem is, it is spread across all three of my devices.
I never had any issues with my x800 Amazon app. I just had my Roku update the Amazon app last night. And HDR came back. Although the Amazon app on the Roku still doesn't show what the resolution is of the encode playing. Like it does on the x800, Shield TV, and FireTV.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9723 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
On the Roku, the Amazon app was just updated yesterday. Both of my HDR Rokus now show Amazon HDR. If you haven't tried as of yesterday, check to see the version number of the Amazon channel (hit * while over the Amazon channel on the home screen). It should be version 10.1 2018070916. If not, try to update again.

Okay, I just looked and that's the version I have but still only the one show is in HDR. Thanks, that's one checkbox confirmed.
The search goes on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9724 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
The audio dropouts happen with Amazon for me, but once this happens the audio goes out completely -- even the "beeps" the Roku usually emits when navigating the menus become silenced once the audio goes out completely within the app. I tried again last night after checking for the Amazon app update (which I didn't get) and had the same results. I have not tried any other app, but imagine I would get the same result. Thankfully I have an ATV4K, so I do not have to use this piece of crap.

My Premiere, which is attached directly to a Samsung 4K display, is not having the audio dropout issue under the latest firmware update. Only my 2016 Ultra, which is attached to a Denon X3300W AVR via a Monoprice certified high speed 18Gbps cable that has been working without these dropouts until this latest update.
Mine is a 2016 ultra and x3300 as well. The only thing that kept me from switching to my atv4k was no Atmos. But I put up with stupid chirps out of the rear speakers for almost a year, and now this b.s. time to hook up the aptv for good I think, and hopefully the Atmos update comes soon. If it took Roku a year to fix the chirps, I'm not holding my breath on this one
post #9725 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
Mine is a 2016 ultra and x3300 as well. The only thing that kept me from switching to my atv4k was no Atmos. But I put up with stupid chirps out of the rear speakers for almost a year, and now this b.s. time to hook up the aptv for good I think, and hopefully the Atmos update comes soon. If it took Roku a year to fix the chirps, I'm not holding my breath on this one

I suffered from the audio chirp bug, too. Also, I had a network freeze issue for awhile where the Ultra would still be communicating on my local network but would lose Internet access, which would require a reboot. When I finally attempted a factory reset to see if it would clear that issue, the Ultra completely locked up and became a useless brick. It cost me about $14 to ship it to California for a warranty replacement. I also still cannot watch Hulu on either the Ultra or Premiere, as 4x3 material will randomly zoom in tight on the left hand side of the image when returning from a commercial. Now this audio dropout issue.

I seriously doubt I'll buy another Roku product. While my 1080p Roku devices have been fine, the two 4K boxes have been absolute crap. Their software engineering group is incompetent, and quality control is nonexistent. I am not part of the Apple ecosystem (have Windows PCs and Android phones), but do own an ATV4K, which I acquired due to all the issues with the Ultra. It's been a rock solid device for my use. Features like Atmos may be nice on the Roku, but are useless if the box is unstable and something new breaks with every new firmware release.

Last edited by Scott M; 07-11-2018 at 07:42 AM.
post #9726 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
I suffered from the audio chirp bug, too. Also, I had a network freeze issue for awhile where the Ultra would still be communicating on my local network but would lose Internet access, which would require a reboot. When I finally attempted a factory reset to see if it would clear that issue, the Ultra completely locked up and became a useless brick. It cost me about $14 to ship it to California for a warranty replacement. I also still cannot watch Hulu on either the Ultra or Premiere, as 4x3 material will randomly zoom in tight on the left hand side of the image when returning from a commercial. Now this audio dropout issue.

I seriously doubt I'll buy another Roku product. While my 1080p Roku devices have been fine, the two 4K boxes have been absolute crap. Their software engineering group is incompetent, and quality control is nonexistent.
Agreed
post #9727 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Okay, I just looked and that's the version I have but still only the one show is in HDR. Thanks, that's one checkbox confirmed.
The search goes on...
Remember the default programs are not HDR. You have to "find" them (stupid Amazon). Scroll down the Rows of content until you get to the ones Labeled Prime Movie Genres and the Row below Prime TV Genres. The first Box or Tile on those rows is labeled "4K UHD programs" click on the Box/Tile to see the 4K or UHD content versions.

My references to exact Amazon wording may be a little off since I'm typing from memory but the gist is accurate scroll until you see the Prime movies & TV by Genre row and the first Box/Tile will be labeled for UHD content. Amazon makes it difficult to locate 4K and or UHD programs. Season 3 of Goliath is HDR as an example by some shows are just 4K period.
gwsat, galonzo and Seryl like this.
post #9728 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
Mine is a 2016 ultra and x3300 as well...
Quote:
I suffered from the audio chirp bug, too....
I seriously doubt I'll buy another Roku product. While my 1080p Roku devices have been fine, the two 4K boxes have been absolute crap....
Sounds like your Ultras and the Denon x3300 don't get along. Have you tried the Denon thread or notified Roku that others are having audio problems specifically with the X3300? As you say at least the ATV4K works for you. Good luck.
post #9729 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Sounds like your Ultras and the Denon x3300 don't get along. Have you tried the Denon thread or notified Roku that others are having audio problems specifically with the X3300? As you say at least the ATV4K works for you. Good luck.

This particular issue did not arise until the latest Roku OS firmware release, so it's a Roku issue, not a Denon issue. Personally, I am done notifying Roku of issues with this box. I spent an hour with them on the Hulu 4x3 issue and got nowhere, and before that had to pay shipping to return a unit that their software release bricked (Sony paid shipping both ways for my defective X800 UHD player). No more wasting my time with them. I'll just use my ATV4K on my main system instead, and am using the built-in Hulu app on the Samsung 4K display in our bedroom. If Roku eventually pulls their heads out of their rear ends and releases stable code, I may use the device again. If not, I have an alternate solution that works reliably.
post #9730 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
This particular issue did not arise until the latest Roku OS firmware release, so it's a Roku issue, not a Denon issue. Personally, I am done notifying Roku of issues with this box. I spent an hour with them on the Hulu 4x3 issue and got nowhere, and before that had to pay shipping to return a unit that their software release bricked (Sony paid shipping both ways for my defective X800 UHD player). No more wasting my time with them. I'll just use my ATV4K on my main system instead, and am using the built-in Hulu app on the Samsung 4K display in our bedroom. If Roku eventually pulls their heads out of their rear ends and releases stable code, I may use the device again. If not, I have an alternate solution that works reliably.
I think that's what I would consider the turn off for me as well. Seeing the buggy software and experiencing it is one thing but as a paying customer going to the people in charge for a solution, even providing feedback, and not getting anywhere.

Thankfully as you I have good alternatives, and for the most part have been able to resolve the issues I was having. I realize though that there are people really invested in a given platform, and they haven't found solutions, or may also be brushed off

Buggy software can be frustrating enough, but people's attitudes can really rub me the wrong way sometimes, and it can just be seeing someone else's situation, and not necessarily my own, in all cases.
post #9731 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This particular issue did not arise until the latest Roku OS firmware release, so it's a Roku issue, not a Denon issue...
I understand, never said it was a Denon issue, but an issue working with the Denon X3300. Thought you were looking for a fix.
post #9732 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:

I seriously doubt I'll buy another Roku product. While my 1080p Roku devices have been fine, the two 4K boxes have been absolute crap. Their software engineering group is incompetent, and quality control is nonexistent. I am not part of the Apple ecosystem (have Windows PCs and Android phones), but do own an ATV4K, which I acquired due to all the issues with the Ultra. It's been a rock solid device for my use. Features like Atmos may be nice on the Roku, but are useless if the box is unstable and something new breaks with every new firmware release.
Sorry for your problems. I own the Roku Premiere+ and the Denon X2300. Both work together without issue. I also own the ATV 4K which is a nice player but the one I use the least at the moment. Still waiting for the Atmos issue on the ATV 4K to be fully resolved.
galonzo likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #9733 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 5769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Sorry for your problems. I own the Roku Premiere+ and the Denon X2300. Both work together without issue. I also own the ATV 4K which is a nice player but the one I use the least at the moment. Still waiting for the Atmos issue on the ATV 4K to be fully resolved.
I am a longtime Apple user, most recently when I bought an iPhone X the day it was released last November. I also still have a 1080P Apple TV, which I frequently use for mirroring, although seldom for streaming from one of its builtin streaming apps. I have avoided buying an Apple TV 4K so far because its Atmos issues have apparently not been solved. If the upcoming version of iOS cures that, I will likely buy one. The jury is out over whether it would replace my Premiere+, though.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #9734 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I am a longtime Apple user, most recently when I bought an iPhone X the day it was released last November. I also still have a 1080P Apple TV, which I frequently use for mirroring, although seldom for streaming from one of its builtin streaming apps. I have avoided buying an Apple TV 4K so far because its Atmos issues have apparently not been solved. If the upcoming version of iOS cures that, I will likely buy one. The jury is out over whether it would replace my Premiere+, though.
As a longtime Roku Users and longtime iPhone only user, I bought an ATV4K to go along with my Roku Ultra. You get it for 105 USD now https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-a...ugh-september/

The Apple problems with Atmos relate to the beta versions on tvOS 12 which will have Atmos when released to the general public. Current non beta 11.4.1 is stable.

Don't get me wrong I love my 2016 Ultra, but I believe multiple streamers are necessary as new software always has the potential to introduce bugs.
post #9735 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I understand, never said it was a Denon issue, but an issue working with the Denon X3300. Thought you were looking for a fix.

Sorry if I came across as snarky towards you with my reply. That wasn't my intent.

A fix would be nice, but at this point I'm just going in a different direction. Fortunately, I have that option.
naustin likes this.
post #9736 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 5769
Quote:
As a longtime Roku Users and longtime iPhone only user, I bought an ATV4K to go along with my Roku Ultra. You get it for 105 USD now https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-a...ugh-september/

The Apple problems with Atmos relate to the beta versions on tvOS 12 which will have Atmos when released to the general public. Current non beta 11.4.1 is stable.

Don't get me wrong I love my 2016 Ultra, but I believe multiple streamers are necessary as new software always has the potential to introduce bugs.
I have no interest in subscribing to DirecTV, so if I buy an AppleTV 4K I will get it from the Apple store, where its price is still $179.00. If iOS 12 solves the ATV4K's Atmos problems I will probably buy it but not until it becomes a reliable Atmos platform. My old 1080P Apple TV and my Roku Premiere+ are both in my system, so I would almost certainly replace my old Apple TV with the 4K version and leave the Premiere+ in my system. How much I would use it remains an open question, though.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #9737 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have no interest in subscribing to DirecTV, so if I buy an AppleTV 4K I will get it from the Apple store, where its price is still $179.00.
Me neither. AS soon as I received my ATV4K I went online and cancelled my Account w/o any issues complete with email confirmation that I still had 90 days of access since it was prepaid. just an FYI...
post #9738 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
I have no interest in subscribing to DirecTV, so if I buy an AppleTV 4K I will get it from the Apple store, where its price is still $179.00. If iOS 12 solves the ATV4K's Atmos problems I will probably buy it but not until it becomes a reliable Atmos platform. My old 1080P Apple TV and my Roku Premiere+ are both in my system, so I would almost certainly replace my old Apple TV with the 4K version and leave the Premiere+ in my system. How much I would use it remains an open question, though.
I do own an ATV4K, as well as the Premier+, and the ATV rarely gets used; the biggest issue in my case is that my TVs aren't DV capable, so the faux-HDR that the ATV does "on-the-fly" to all DV content just doesn't sit right with me (especially with Netflix original shows), coupled with stereo PCM for most, if not all original Amazon content on the ATV are some of the reasons why the Premier+ is the go-to streamer for us (I know @Johnson-from-Arizona was looking for other reasons why some of us prefer to use Rokus over ATVs, besides the issue of no support for bitstreaming on the ATVs; of course, we only watch movies from disks here for the lossless audio ).
gwsat likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #9739 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
I concur; for other reasons. I just got an ATV4K so I can get Dolby vision AND Atmos; so I connect and stream my Itunes library; so I can rent/buy from itunes; and a number of other reasons.

I have my roku ultra, because roku has so many more channels. I am always looking for some off the wall channels that atv4k simply don't have. Roku even has private channels that aren't directly listed.

Definitely need BOTH STREAMERS. But honestly, if I couldn't have gotten the ATV4K for $105 instead of $180, I would have waited.

Michael
LG OLED65B7P, Yamaha 7810, 5.1.2 ATMOS
Philips 7302 BR/DV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere, Roku Stick+

Last edited by Christcorp; 07-11-2018 at 12:53 PM.
post #9740 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8978 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Remember the default programs are not HDR. You have to "find" them (stupid Amazon). Scroll down the Rows of content until you get to the ones Labeled Prime Movie Genres and the Row below Prime TV Genres. The first Box or Tile on those rows is labeled "4K UHD programs" click on the Box/Tile to see the 4K or UHD content versions.

My references to exact Amazon wording may be a little off since I'm typing from memory but the gist is accurate scroll until you see the Prime movies & TV by Genre row and the first Box/Tile will be labeled for UHD content. Amazon makes it difficult to locate 4K and or UHD programs. Season 3 of Goliath is HDR as an example by some shows are just 4K period.
I find it easiest to add the Amazon UHD/HDR content to my watchlist in the Amazon app. Then I can quickly find and access it in the future.
Seryl likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9741 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 99
ATV4K new beta is a reliable Atmos platform. All my Atmos available movies via VUDU play perfectly.

And no that convoluted summary of my point was not my point. But thats okay.
galonzo likes this.
post #9742 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I find it easiest to add the Amazon UHD/HDR content to my watchlist in the Amazon app. Then I can quickly find and access it in the future.
I do exactly the same thing because it's the only way to find content quickly on the Amazon app when you want to watch something later.
aaronwt likes this.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #9743 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Thank you! Do I feel dumb! That was it. I did a search for HDR content and the results were not in HDR but there they are down more than a dozen rows.

Last year when I watched Man in the High Castle in HDR I was sure it was in the top row or two.

Last edited by Seryl; 07-11-2018 at 05:29 PM.
post #9744 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you! Do I feel dumb! That was it. I did a search for HDR content and the results were not in HDR but there they are down more than a dozen rows.

Last year when I watched Man in the High Castle in HDR I was sure it was in the top row or two.
Yes Amazon changed their layout a few weeks ago to make it even harder to find UHD. I just happened to stumble upon it. As others have said when you find a UHD show or series add it to your Watchlist. Glad I could help.
Seryl likes this.
post #9745 of 11637 Old 07-11-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Yes Amazon changed their layout a few weeks ago to make it even harder to find UHD. I just happened to stumble upon it. As others have said when you find a UHD show or series add it to your Watchlist. Glad I could help.

You sure did, thanks, I have started a watchlist. Sorry they changed the layout but hearing that makes me feel a bit less of a cretin.
post #9746 of 11637 Old 07-12-2018, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Many thanks for these great tips and directions for accessing Amazon's HDR content with the Roku Ultra - all now working great on my system.

Please enter password to view this signature.
post #9747 of 11637 Old 07-12-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Many thanks for these great tips and directions for accessing Amazon's HDR content with the Roku Ultra - all now working great on my system.
Yeah, Prime's interface is a disaster. It's like they don't want you to watch their own content in the best quality available.

Speaking of which, I have 2 episodes of Sneaky Pete left to watch, and my projector has been neglected since the soccer match yesterday. See y'all!
galonzo and Hetfieldjames like this.
post #9748 of 11637 Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
Yeah, Prime's interface is a disaster. It's like they don't want you to watch their own content in the best quality available.

Speaking of which, I have 2 episodes of Sneaky Pete left to watch, and my projector has been neglected since the soccer match yesterday. See y'all!
Yes I agree, Amazon interface is brutal. I don't get it at all. Looking for HDR content stinks.
How is that sneaky Pete show? It looks interesting but I haven't watched it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #9749 of 11637 Old 07-12-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Yes I agree, Amazon interface is brutal. I don't get it at all. Looking for HDR content stinks.
How is that sneaky Pete show? It looks interesting but I haven't watched it.

I really like it. It's a slow-burn, but with crazy action thrown in. I like the characters, and it looks great in HDR.
galonzo likes this.
post #9750 of 11637 Old 07-12-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
I really like it. It's a slow-burn, but with crazy action thrown in. I like the characters, and it looks great in HDR.
Ah that's what I should have asked, how is the HDR. Very nice, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page