Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 328 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9947Likes

post #9811 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Since the LED goes out, I'm thinking that it does go into screen saver but HDMI activity will take you to the home screen (or what screen you left). Yes, there was a software update. Maybe somebody forgot to feed the fish and they died.
Yes I was thinking that also. I believe you are correct.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb75 View Post
I'm not sure what you switched audio settings to. The only option on mine is auto(Dolby d+,dts) or stereo . And if I switch to anything other than auto in the HDMI s/pdif menu the audio reverts to stereo

I left the "Audio mode" setting at "(Auto (Dolby D+ / DTS))"-- I have never changed this setting. Under the HDMI & S/PDIF category, I have the following options:

Auto Detect
PCM-Stereo
Dolby D
Dolby D +
Dolby D / DTS
Dolby D+ / DTS

I originally had that set to "Auto Detect" with no issues until the latest firmware update, when I started to experience the audio dropouts. Changing that setting to "Dolby D+ / DTS" has resolved the dropout issue so far. I am still getting DD+ 5.1 audio -- at least with UHD stream of The Expanse, which I have been watching via the Amazon Prime app. It's all I have really tried so far.
post #9813 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I left the "Audio mode" setting at "(Auto (Dolby D+ / DTS))"-- I have never changed this setting. Under the HDMI & S/PDIF category, I have the following options:

Auto Detect
PCM-Stereo
Dolby D
Dolby D +
Dolby D / DTS
Dolby D+ / DTS

I originally had that set to "Auto Detect" with no issues until the latest firmware update, when I started to experience the audio dropouts. Changing that setting to "Dolby D+ / DTS" has resolved the dropout issue so far. I am still getting DD+ 5.1 audio -- at least with UHD stream of The Expanse, which I have been watching via the Amazon Prime app. It's all I have really tried so far.
Yeah. I tried that, and only get stereo on Netflix. Sucks. Get the feeling we're gonna be left out in the cold for awhile. If it affected all roku's, they might get on it. But being that it's a small majority, they probably really don't care.

Last edited by jsb75; 07-16-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9814 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah. I tried that, and only get stereo on Netflix. Sucks

I don't subscribe to Netflix, so unfortunately I cannot check that on my setup. Sorry.
post #9815 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I wonder how many of the problematic set ups are due to Sony's TV weird poling of HDMI connections even when the TV is "off"?
post #9816 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Hey guys I notice my Roku Ultra isn't going into the screen saver, at least I have noticed it. I used to turn in the TV, and receiver and I would see the fish tank thing. Now I don't see that, it's just a just in the Roku home screen.

Correct. After the firmware update your Roku no longer wakes in Screen saver mode. Screen saver now only works when the Roku is awake. When the Roku sleeps (no LED) no more screen saver.
post #9817 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Correct. After the firmware update your Roku no longer wakes in Screen saver mode. Screen saver now only works when the Roku is awake. When the Roku sleeps (no LED) no more screen saver.
Ok cool, thanks for the info. I didn't even know the Roku did and update. Good information to have though.

post #9818 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
The screensaver option still has a function. The time selected affects how long before the LED goes out and how long before the Pandora screen saver kicks in.

They broke the Pandora thumbs down function. It only works the first time. After that you need to hit Skip also.
post #9819 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I wonder how many of the problematic set ups are due to Sony's TV weird poling of HDMI connections even when the TV is "off"?

I have a Vizio 4K display, so my issues have nothing to do with Sony.
post #9820 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a Vizio 4K display, so my issues have nothing to do with Sony.
Have to work so don't have Time. But I'm going to try going Roku to the TV , then arc to the receiver. I will lose dd+ , if it works dd is better than stereo
post #9821 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Hey guys,

got another issue with my digital copies. I bought "Ferdinand" on sale from VUDU tonight, and it's a Movies Anywhere title. It populated to everything but my Amazon video Library. When I search for the title on Amazon it shows up, but it's not recognized as being purchased.

I tried an unlink, and re-link of my amazon account under retailers in Movies Anywhere, but this doesn't seem to fix it. I know Amazon supports Movies Anywhere, and all my other titles are connected. Would this be simply a bug with Amazon, or have they changed the licensing for this move?

Thanks.
post #9822 of 11907 Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Quote:
Have to work so don't have Time. But I'm going to try going Roku to the TV , then arc to the receiver. I will lose dd+ , if it works dd is better than stereo
Hi Scott M and jsb75, my different setup with no audio drop.
Current:
Premiere + > Samsung MU6290 > ARC > Denon X4000
Roku version 8.1.0 Build 4137
Audio Mode - Auto (Dolby D+, DTS)
HDMI - Auto Detect

No audio drop
Netflix Jessica Jones getting DD 5.1 (not DD+ 5.1)
Amazon The Expanse getting DD 5.1 (not DD+ 5.1)

Previous:
Premiere + > Denon X4000 > Samsung MU6290 = also no audio drop with same Roku audio settings and version 8.1.0.

Weird, maybe because I don't have a Roku Ultra?
post #9823 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Success. Going Roku to TV and arc to receiver is the ticket for now. My TV converts dd+ to plain dd and no drop outs. Forgot the Roku has optical out. That might of worked as well.
Scott M likes this.
post #9824 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Scott M and jsb75, my different setup with no audio drop.
Current:
Premiere + > Samsung MU6290 > ARC > Denon X4000
Roku version 8.1.0 Build 4137
Audio Mode - Auto (Dolby D+, DTS)
HDMI - Auto Detect

No audio drop
Netflix Jessica Jones getting DD 5.1 (not DD+ 5.1)
Amazon The Expanse getting DD 5.1 (not DD+ 5.1)

Previous:
Premiere + > Denon X4000 > Samsung MU6290 = also no audio drop with same Roku audio settings and version 8.1.0.

Weird, maybe because I don't have a Roku Ultra?

The difference is most likely because you are connecting the Roku to the display and using ARC now, where you went directly to the AVR beforehand -- similar to @jsb75 .
post #9825 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 441
After three weeks of never-ending audio dropouts (and unexplained switches to spanish subtitles), I've replaced my Ultra with an Apple TV 4K. I had no confidence that Roku would fix whatever their software "update" broke, after so much time and so many complaints.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #9826 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was able to resolve my digital copy issue with Amazon and the movie has synced. I also figured out that the DTS issue I'm having with the ROKU, and Plex channel seems to be a transcoding issue. If the content is direct Played everything is fine, if the content has to be transcoded i get issues.

I was able to find this out today because I found the Movie "Robots" on Blu-ray at Walmart today in the $5 bin, and I replaced the DVD rip I had on the Plex Server. The Blu-ray is about 40Mbs h.264 with standard DTS as the main audio track. When Playing with Plex on the Roku, the Roku wasn't able to hold the high bandwidth connection, and therefore dropped down to a lower bitrate causing a transcode. Which resulted in the choppy DTS issue. Can anyone tell me if this is an issue I need to address with Plex, or would this still be a Roku issue. I'm thinking it's more of a client side issue rather then server, as the Plex client on other platforms will convert the DTS to AC3, and the issue isn't present.
post #9827 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I was able to resolve my digital copy issue with Amazon and the movie has synced. I also figured out that the DTS issue I'm having with the ROKU, and Plex channel seems to be a transcoding issue. If the content is direct Played everything is fine, if the content has to be transcoded i get issues.

I was able to find this out today because I found the Movie "Robots" on Blu-ray at Walmart today in the $5 bin, and I replaced the DVD rip I had on the Plex Server. The Blu-ray is about 40Mbs h.264 with standard DTS as the main audio track. When Playing with Plex on the Roku, the Roku wasn't able to hold the high bandwidth connection, and therefore dropped down to a lower bitrate causing a transcode. Which resulted in the choppy DTS issue. Can anyone tell me if this is an issue I need to address with Plex, or would this still be a Roku issue. I'm thinking it's more of a client side issue rather then server, as the Plex client on other platforms will convert the DTS to AC3, and the issue isn't present.
Strange that it can't handle the direct play bit rate. I've played my H.265 UHD rips via Plex both in direct play and subs displayed, which forces transcoding. I believe my bit rate was 65-75 Mbps with it, and didn't have any issues. This is with a hard wired connection to my Ultra. Can't recall what audio is on that particular movie, so can't recall if my AVR showed DTS or DD. Really wish my Ultra could bitstream lossless audio, since I now have a 5.1.2 AVR that supports Atmos and DTS:X. Going to try to snag a Shield TV on Prime Day today, so I'll have the audio I want.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #9828 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Strange that it can't handle the direct play bit rate. I've played my H.265 UHD rips via Plex both in direct play and subs displayed, which forces transcoding. I believe my bit rate was 65-75 Mbps with it, and didn't have any issues. This is with a hard wired connection to my Ultra. Can't recall what audio is on that particular movie, so can't recall if my AVR showed DTS or DD. Really wish my Ultra could bitstream lossless audio, since I now have a 5.1.2 AVR that supports Atmos and DTS:X. Going to try to snag a Shield TV on Prime Day today, so I'll have the audio I want.
I'm surprised as well, both my Ultra and Premiere+ are wireless, but have a connection speed of 173 Mbps. So it should have more then enough bandwidth. I've noticed though Plex on the Roku can be very unstable compared to other platforms.

I don't really plan on going advanced setup until I have a dedicated theater room I can use. It doesn't make sense for me to put all the work needed into an apartment setup when it's not dedicated, and I have the concern of neighbors and space to take into account. Vizio is supposed to have released upgraded sound bars for 2018 that add ATMOS, but for the size of a 1 bedroom apartment is it really worth it? I've heard other people say the ATMOS enabled sound bars work well in environments with flat ceilings where the sound can bounce off, and I have flat ceilings in the bedroom and living room, but still in a small space, would it be worth the extra money over a 5.1 setup which I already have?
post #9829 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, my Ultra and Atmos AVR is in a bedroom with a flat ceiling. I have two speakers behind my main L/R that are pointed at the ceiling. So far I only have a single title on Vudu that has Atmos, so I haven't really been able to experience Atmos much yet. I probably haven't watched a portion of the movie with decent Atmos encoding. Anyone have a suggestion on a good place in The Last Jedi that Atmos is really noticeable?

I'd like to find a demo clip somewhere to see what it might sound like, but will probably need to wait until I can get a Shield to be able to stream anything with decent Atmos.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #9830 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, my Ultra and Atmos AVR is in a bedroom with a flat ceiling. I have two speakers behind my main L/R that are pointed at the ceiling. So far I only have a single title on Vudu that has Atmos, so I haven't really been able to experience Atmos much yet. I probably haven't watched a portion of the movie with decent Atmos encoding. Anyone have a suggestion on a good place in The Last Jedi that Atmos is really noticeable?

I'd like to find a demo clip somewhere to see what it might sound like, but will probably need to wait until I can get a Shield to be able to stream anything with decent Atmos.
I tried the Ultra in the living room, and it's in line of sight of the wireless router (Airport Extreme 80211ac model) and it still couldn't hold the Plex stream, and it's connected to the 5ghz channel.

The exact size of the stream Plex says for the video stream in question is 40.5 Mbps for original quality. The only other decent hardware I have to test Plex on is the Apple TV(s). I could try DLNA to the Sony Blu-ray players to see if it's a bandwidth issue on a whole, or if Roku as usual falls short. I still hear some of the limitations put on Roku units are still based on the old models and not the new hardware. Plus in this situation, If @atc98092 : doesn't have issues, neither should I especially since 80211ac is faster then the Roku's current Ethernet port. From my understanding the 2017 Ultra is still 10/100 and not 10/100/1000.
post #9831 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Well, so much for my audio dropout issue being fixed. After changing the HDMI & S/PDIF audio setting to "Dolby D+ / DTS", I was able to get through 4 episodes of the UHD stream of The Expanse on Amazon Prime without issues. Today, though, the audio went out again about 10 minutes into another episode. I officially give up. I'm back to using my Apple 4K TV for all streaming.
Ted99 likes this.
post #9832 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried the Ultra in the living room, and it's in line of sight of the wireless router (Airport Extreme 80211ac model) and it still couldn't hold the Plex stream, and it's connected to the 5ghz channel.

The exact size of the stream Plex says for the video stream in question is 40.5 Mbps for original quality. The only other decent hardware I have to test Plex on is the Apple TV(s). I could try DLNA to the Sony Blu-ray players to see if it's a bandwidth issue on a whole, or if Roku as usual falls short. I still hear some of the limitations put on Roku units are still based on the old models and not the new hardware. Plus in this situation, If @atc98092 : doesn't have issues, neither should I especially since 80211ac is faster then the Roku's current Ethernet port. From my understanding the 2017 Ultra is still 10/100 and not 10/100/1000.
Yeah, no gigabit ports yet on any Roku.

Dan
post #9833 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, no gigabit ports yet on any Roku.
The other confusing thing is, the main title of Robots from the blu-ray has 3 English DTS 5.1 tracks, the DVD only had 1 DTS 5.1, and Dolby 5.1. This copy I got is a genuine copy from 20th Century Fox, as I got it from Walmart, so not sure why all the weird audio track arrangements.
post #9834 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, so much for my audio dropout issue being fixed. After changing the HDMI & S/PDIF audio setting to "Dolby D+ / DTS", I was able to get through 4 episodes of the UHD stream of The Expanse on Amazon Prime without issues. Today, though, the audio went out again about 10 minutes into another episode. I officially give up. I'm back to using my Apple 4K TV for all streaming.
Lol. I feel your pain. I have a bit of money and time invested in my sound system, and the bass sounds the best to me from the Roku, and like the remote way more than my aptv4k or the Xbox one. But now I figured out going to the TV first then arc to Denon is not a good solution for me. The sound is really compressed and the bass is totally lacking. Try optical tomorrow, if no dice there, I'm done with the stupid thing
Scott M likes this.
post #9835 of 11907 Old 07-17-2018, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Sorry Scott. Its very disappointing and frustrating.
Scott M likes this.
post #9836 of 11907 Old 07-18-2018, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Have you tried hardwiring to the network? I realize it's 10/100, but your needs don't exceed that. I have never had audio/video issues with my Roku4 hardwired, but have on wifi even though on paper this shouldn't be the case. I will say for music I prefer Plex on ATV because there are no audio drop-outs between tracks (known issue with Roku), but for movies it makes no difference.
kbmb and galonzo like this.

Vizio M70-D3 | Marantz AV7702mkII | ARCAM P1000 | AppleTV 4K | Roku4 | OPPO UDP-203 | Tannoy Definition DC10A/DC8/DC6LCR | SVS SB2000 | Panamax M5300-PM
post #9837 of 11907 Old 07-18-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrinder View Post
Have you tried hardwiring to the network? I realize it's 10/100, but your needs don't exceed that. I have never had audio/video issues with my Roku4 hardwired, but have on wifi even though on paper this shouldn't be the case. I will say for music I prefer Plex on ATV because there are no audio drop-outs between tracks (known issue with Roku), but for movies it makes no difference.
I haven't tried the Roku hard wired recently, but when I did, it didn't seem to make a difference. I can try it again, but before I do, I wanted to give you my findings after doing some more testing.

When using the Roku units to watch the HD version of the movie Robots which is 40.5 Mbps for the video quality according to the Plex, the stream will rebuffer almost immediately and switch to a lower quality which introduces transcoding, and leads to the DTS audio issue. (this happens with both Roku units even with the Plex channel update that came down last night)

I then tried the movie via Plex on the Apple TV 4, which is the furthest from the router in the bedroom, and played at full quality, and it Played without issues. Because the Apple TV can't do DTS, the audio of course was converted. Still didn't make any issues in this case.
Today, I'm watching the movie via InFuse, which is a direct stream, via an SMB share, and there are no stream issues.

Last night I also wanted to make note that I also tried the stream with the UBP-X800 via DLNA, and that also played without issues. An advantage here was also that I could see the bitrate in action and the stream was only about 29Mbps when I checked so at least part of the time, the stream is lower then what Plex on the Roku reports.

So based on the tests I've done with the same file, all on the same network with the same bandwidth available, this appears to still be a Roku specific issue. The Server is hardwired on a gigabit connection, the switch is also a gigabit switch so devices that support that speed work at that speed. The devices I tested wirelessly are connected at 80211ac, and 80211n. Based on the connection status for wireless clients section on the AirPort Extreme, ROKu has the slowest connection speed out of everything else.

The Roku devices typically have a connection of 173 Mbps
the 80211n devices (Sony players) are usually 300 Mbps
The other 80211ac devices (Apple TV 4) are between 500 and 900 Mbps.
The living room 4K Apple TV is hard wired with Gigabit Ethernet.
post #9838 of 11907 Old 07-18-2018, 09:05 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Quote:

With both my Ultra and Streaming Stick+, they will play a 100+ Mbps UHD video without any issues over wireless. The same videos continuously buffer over the wired connection on the Ultra.
galonzo likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9839 of 11907 Old 07-18-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
With both my Ultra and Streaming Stick+, they will play a 100+ Mbps UHD video without any issues over wireless. The same videos continuously buffer over the wired connection on the Ultra.
The buffering problem here is somewhat inconsistent. Some blu-ray files play fine with Plex, and Roku, others play on my other devices, but constantly buffer on Roku+Plex unless I play them at a lower bitrate then original quality. This isn't a big issue if it's Dolby audio, or AAC, etc but DTS won't play without constant stutter if the video is being transcoded. I still think there is something wrong with the Roku Plex channel, and it's not fully up to spec. If you go into the quality settings, it's still not recommended to play videos at full / original quality. However, if you look at Plex on any other device, the original quality is usually the default, or even if it's not, it doesn't have the (not recommended) note by it.

Maybe people here encode their files differently then me. I use MakeMKV, and do a straight rip from the disc without quality loss, or changing anything, from the original m2ts, or VOB files.
post #9840 of 11907 Old 07-18-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

On a different note, anyone think we'll see this on the Roku Netflix channel ?
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/18...m_campaign=ios
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page