Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 332 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9986Likes

post #9931 of 11957 Old 07-26-2018, 03:15 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9327 Post(s)
Liked: 6008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Here is a screenshot of Plex playing to the Roku with the current config I'm using.

If I were to select the standard DTS track, the status would change to DirectPlay, but then the stream would stop and restart every few minutes to rebuffer. So being the Roku is advertised as being able to pass standard DTS, I'm not sure why it's causing playback issues with Plex.
In that Video, DCA is the DTS MA track being transcoded to Dolby 5.1.
This file is listed as 41Mbps in Plex details for playback quality at original quality.
Mine will play DTS from DTS-HD MA. When I was testing the other day, I had some issues with some of the rips. but most played fine. But it didn't seem to be specific to DD or DTS since most played back fine whether it had Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA. My LAst Jedi UHD BD MKV rip was playing back in 7.1 DD+. Which seemed unusual.

But this was all with forcing Direct playback. So there was no transcoding of the video or audio. And that seemed to bear out with my PLex PC. If not transcoding it only uses around 30 watts. But anytime it transcodes audio or video, the power usage climbs to 60 watts or more. After I set it to force Direct Play, it only used around 30 watts when playing back the UHD BD MKV rips I played.

But in the ned for me it's not a big deal. Once I found out that the ROku couldn't play every thing back locally anyway, That's when I got a Shield TV. Which can Direct Play all my content. So the Roku works great with my 1080P and lower content. But for UHD content, I just use my Shield TV with it.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-26-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 11957 Old 07-26-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Mine will play DTS from DTS-HD MA. When I was testing the other day, I had some issues with some of the rips. but most played fine. But it didn't seem to be specific to DD or DTS since most played back fine whether it had Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA. My LAst Jedi UHD BD MKV rip was playing back in 7.1 DD+. Which seemed unusual.

But this was all with forcing Direct playback. So there was no transcoding of the video or audio. And that seemed to bear out with my PLex PC. If not transcoding it only uses around 30 watts. But anytime it transcodes audio or video, the power usage climbs to 60 watts or more. After I set it to force Direct Play, it only used around 30 watts when playing back the UHD BD MKV rips I played.

But in the ned for me it's not a big deal. Once I found out that the ROku couldn't play every thing back locally anyway, That's when I got a Shield TV. Which can Direct Play all my content. So the Roku works great with my 1080P and lower content. But for UHD content, I just use my Shield TV with it.
@aaronwt : I know you'r trying to help, but you are not providing me any info to compare how I'm doing things that could change. I've tried the force direct play option, it's hit or miss, I've mentioned several times that I rip my discs with MakeMKV, so it's an exact copy of the disc.
I've mentioned that Plex Media server runs on a 27" iMac with a 3.3ghz core i5 with 32 GB Ram, and that it's a Skylake generation CPU, and it's Quad core. If the file is able to direct play, it shouldn't matter what the server is running on, it's dependent on the client (this case Roku)

With this all said there as been NO information given whether or not I'm doing something wrong with my rips, or if I'm have Plex configured wrong, etc.
I've done my best to go to the source of the problem, I've compared technical information with the experience I have with dealing with formats, and streaming. But lately I feel like I'm wasting my time and these forums and the people are utterly useless to me because I've been able to figure more stuff out on my own, and the information given here may have helped some, but it hasn't solved the problem.
post #9933 of 11957 Old 07-26-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
The Roku Ultra doesn't pass HLG correct? Anyone know if there Sony X800 player does?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9934 of 11957 Old 07-26-2018, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1802
Arrow 4137 Rock-solid Here (so far...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Just updated my premiere + to the 4145 firmware update and now my Netflix that was giving me 5.1 is only giving me PCM stereo. My audio settings for both the system and HDMI are set to DD+/DTS as they have always been. Any help on what to do to get 5.1 back on Netflix ? I tried a system restart after the update but that didn't get me back to 5.1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Just be sure it isn't Netflix having a bad day, can you try Amazon? No need to validate or start a trial. Find the movie Fury and play the trailer. It's DD+. No credit card needed.
They're not @JoeKustra ; so after a trouble-free 27 days on 4137 (see attached, only minor issue was the one time that I wasn't getting the native refresh rate of 24Hz for Ozark on Netflix, which stopping and restarting the show fixed), I was finally able to update to 4145 on my P+, and so far, everything I've tested has given me the correct native refresh rate, along with zero audio dropouts.

I'm still getting:
  • 24Hz HDR, w/ 5.1 DD+ in Netflix (tested a few random shows/movies),
  • 24Hz HDR, w/ 5.1 DD+ on Maze Runner on FN,
  • 24Hz HDR, w/ 5.1 DD+ in Amazon Video (tested the movie Last Flag Flying and an episode each of The Grand Tour and Jean-Claude Van Johnson), and
  • 24Hz HDR w/ Atmos in VUDU (Jumanji (2017), also attached)

@mattg3 , I'm using the same settings with my P+ (except HDMI says, "Auto(DD+/DTS)" for me); maybe try removing power from the Roku for about a minute and see if it comes back with 5.1 in Netflix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rokuStatusV3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2433462   Click image for larger version

Name:	VUDU_atmos.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2433464  
mattg3, kbmb and brotony like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.4) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Charlie's Angels (2000) and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #9935 of 11957 Old 07-26-2018, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Thanks for your help, I pulled power on roku and receiver and it came back with 5.1 and no audio dropouts--All is good for now. thanks again
galonzo likes this.

Matt
post #9936 of 11957 Old 07-27-2018, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This morning when waking pup the Roku, and going into Netflix, I noticed the new interface has been applied. My Apple TVs haven't updated yet, but I'm using the the Roku now, and Netflix seems to be working well, and the UI feels smoother and more responsive as well.
mattg3 and galonzo like this.
post #9937 of 11957 Old 07-27-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as the Plex issues that have been extremely frustrating to track down. All i can say now after doing some reading in both the Roku, and Plex communities, and the suggestions here. There doesn't seem to be one answer. It seems dependent on each file the results I get.

Some will play with the direct play option set to force, others will start to play, then switch to transcoding the audio, from DTS to AC3.
Others will direct play with DTS when the setting is set to auto instead of force, and then there are those who won't direct play at all. Based on what I read in the communities, so many different people had different issues, but many are similar to mine, and it seems like there isn't one 100% solution with Plex in all cases. I'm going to continue doing testing, and see if I can find a pattern that's causing Plex to switch to transcoding with some files while others work OK with the right settings.

FYI, the movie "Short Circuit" Playing at original quality with DTS 5.1 track.
Plex will not play this movie with DirectPlay set to Force, it will start then switch to transociding to AC3 for audio. With DirectPlay set to Auto, it keeps a stream, and plays DTS audio and original quality video. So Plex must be finding stuff in different files it's not happy with.

I really wish I knew what it wanted so i could fix the files to be more compatible without losing quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 10.56.33 AM.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	2433564  

Last edited by MacinMan; 07-27-2018 at 08:06 AM.
post #9938 of 11957 Old 07-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
It looks like my 2016 Ultra upgraded to firmware 4145 this morning. I reset the HDMI/SPDIF to Auto, and tried a few minutes of an episode of The Expanse on Amazon. I got 5.1 audio and no dropouts, but sometimes it takes longer for the dropouts to start. I didn't have time to watch an entire episode of anything, and probably won't for awhile.
post #9939 of 11957 Old 07-27-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Netflix UI seems to have reverted back to the old one. I had the new one this morning I wonder what happened?
post #9940 of 11957 Old 07-27-2018, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Using the Roku Premiere and it can’t even remember which Americans episode I last watched as my Apple 4K can using Amazon app. Roku really built crap with their 4K steamers.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #9941 of 11957 Old 07-27-2018, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Using the Roku Premiere and it can’t even remember which Americans episode I last watched as my Apple 4K can using Amazon app. Roku really built crap with their 4K steamers.
My Ultra works great, love it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
aaronwt, kbmb and galonzo like this.
post #9942 of 11957 Old 07-28-2018, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone else had issues with the Netflix UI changing from new to old over the last day?

Yesterday morning, I had the new interface with the side bar, then by afternoon, it has reverted to the old style. Now this morning, it's back to the new style.
This only seems to be happening in the Roku Netflix channel right now. The Apple TV hasn't changed at all yet. Haven't tried the android version on my TV, so not sure the status of that platform.
post #9943 of 11957 Old 07-28-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
The Amazon app on all of my Rokus, including the two TVs, will always return to the episode following the last one watched. If the last I watched was the last for that season, I believe it returned to that episode, and not move to the next season. No idea why yours doesn't, but that's the way the Amazon app works on all of my devices: Roku, Samsung TV or Shield.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #9944 of 11957 Old 07-28-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
The Amazon app on all of my Rokus, including the two TVs, will always return to the episode following the last one watched. If the last I watched was the last for that season, I believe it returned to that episode, and not move to the next season. No idea why yours doesn't, but that's the way the Amazon app works on all of my devices: Roku, Samsung TV or Shield.
It's been a long time since I've watched either of my TV shows in Amazon. I don't remember what it did for me. I have the Amazon Video library of stuff I own, not the prime subscription.
The Only two TV shows I have in my Amazon video library :

The Yellowstone series from BBC
Saved by the Bell The College Years.

Everything else is a movie, and most of them have come over through MoviesAnywhere, so they aren't specific to Amazon. I do have a couple titles that are specific to Amazon just because that's where they were purchased, but I would have to go through and look to see which ones they are.
post #9945 of 11957 Old 07-28-2018, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 113
"so after a trouble-free 27 days on 4137"

Still 4135 here.

"Sony X800"

My Sony X800 does not pass HLG. I don't think the X800 is going to keep pace with any of those kinds of things. Like no DV, etc.

There is a dedicated thread in the bluray section for the X800.
post #9946 of 11957 Old 07-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
It's been a long time since I've watched either of my TV shows in Amazon. I don't remember what it did for me. I have the Amazon Video library of stuff I own, not the prime subscription.
The Only two TV shows I have in my Amazon video library :

The Yellowstone series from BBC
Saved by the Bell The College Years.

Everything else is a movie, and most of them have come over through MoviesAnywhere, so they aren't specific to Amazon. I do have a couple titles that are specific to Amazon just because that's where they were purchased, but I would have to go through and look to see which ones they are.
Amazon is better than Netflix now that Netflix has gone to mostly originals and B grade movies. I’m about ready to cancel Netflix. I streamed The Americans and Downton Abby on Amazon Prime. Very good movies too. Amazon’s interface not that great but better than the irritating very loud auto plays when you hover over a selection in Amazon.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #9947 of 11957 Old 07-28-2018, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
It looks like my 2016 Ultra upgraded to firmware 4145 this morning. I reset the HDMI/SPDIF to Auto, and tried a few minutes of an episode of The Expanse on Amazon. I got 5.1 audio and no dropouts, but sometimes it takes longer for the dropouts to start. I didn't have time to watch an entire episode of anything, and probably won't for awhile.

2016 Ultra here as well. I thought all was fixed with firmware (4145) but the audio drop outs persist. Even with the optical cable in to the AVR for sound instead of the HDMI I still get the drop outs. In addition, the latest firmware seems to have caused some other bug. My screen goes black for a good 3 seconds when switching back from watching a show on Netflix to the Roku home screen.
post #9948 of 11957 Old 07-28-2018, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 113
"In addition, the latest firmware seems to have caused some other bug."

Yes, that's the norm for ROKU's firmware. They don't seem to follow even the basic QA steps for their coding. That's one reason why I say its all contracted out to third party coders. IMHO the reason it seems like none of them talk to each other in their FW development cycles is in fact because they don't. Could be entirely different independent contractors each time.
post #9949 of 11957 Old 07-28-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Quote:
Not my experience with the Ultra today. I was trying to watch Sneaky Pete on my AppleTV 4K but it was only in stereo so I switched to my Ultra mid episode and had the correct location and DD 5.1 immediately.
galonzo likes this.
post #9950 of 11957 Old 07-28-2018, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by J450N View Post
2016 Ultra here as well. I thought all was fixed with firmware (4145) but the audio drop outs persist. Even with the optical cable in to the AVR for sound instead of the HDMI I still get the drop outs. In addition, the latest firmware seems to have caused some other bug. My screen goes black for a good 3 seconds when switching back from watching a show on Netflix to the Roku home screen.
Are you using Native Refresh rate? That will cause a temporary black screen.
galonzo likes this.
post #9951 of 11957 Old 07-29-2018, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
You are the 2nd person to report that 4145 did not fix the audio dropout issue. I'm sure if I use my Ultra a few more times, I will experience the issue again. I probably will not be using it for awhile, though, due to other time commitments and having bought some 4K movies very cheap on iTunes lately.
post #9952 of 11957 Old 07-29-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
You are the 2nd person to report that 4145 did not fix the audio dropout issue. I'm sure if I use my Ultra a few more times, I will experience the issue again. I probably will not be using it for awhile, though, due to other time commitments and having bought some 4K movies very cheap on iTunes lately.
@Scott M : have you been able to confirm the audio dropouts are specifically tied to the Roku firmware, and not the Amazon channel? the whole HDR situation made me think it could be Amazon's Roku channel and not the Roku software. Just a thought,.
post #9953 of 11957 Old 07-29-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Amazon is better than Netflix now that Netflix has gone to mostly originals and B grade movies. I’m about ready to cancel Netflix. I streamed The Americans and Downton Abby on Amazon Prime. Very good movies too. Amazon’s interface not that great but better than the irritating very loud auto plays when you hover over a selection in Amazon.
I posted a while back on this topic. I still have Netflix because there are a few shows I still like, and movies. However I've mainly decided to stick with subscriptions for specific content, and then use Services such as VUDU, and iTunes for my main source of streaming. That way I pay for a license to view the content, instead of a subscription to the service where they can pull it when they want, or when the license expires. I've found for the most part even if the services I use stop selling content, if I've paid for it, it's still available in my library.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #9954 of 11957 Old 07-29-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Are you using Native Refresh rate? That will cause a temporary black screen.

No. The auto adjust display refresh rate is disabled. This is a new symptom.
post #9955 of 11957 Old 07-29-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
@Scott M : have you been able to confirm the audio dropouts are specifically tied to the Roku firmware, and not the Amazon channel? the whole HDR situation made me think it could be Amazon's Roku channel and not the Roku software. Just a thought,.

For me it happens with Netflix. I actually haven't been watching Amazon lately so it could be Amazon too. It is definitely a new thing that started within the last month so it appears to be firmware related.
post #9956 of 11957 Old 07-29-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For me it happens with Netflix. I actually haven't been watching Amazon lately so it could be Amazon too. It is definitely a new thing that started within the last month so it appears to be firmware related.
OK, just curious. I had issues with the Roku audio on devices with the Dolby hardware built in, but most of that was a case of both my 4k TV, and the Rpku trying to process the audio at the same time without a way to disable either one.
I finally got rid of the 2016 Ultra, and now just have a Premiere+ and 2017 Ultra, and my 2016 streaming stick without the hardware, and things have been fine.

The only thing I've noticed with audio delays is more when a Dolby+ stream first starts, or I rewind, takes about a second or 2 to catch up. Besides that, it's fine, and in the case of the 4K setup the Dolby + is converted to standard AC3 through the TV, so those delays don't happen.
I don't recall having lip-sync issues or audio issues where the video and audio were out of sync. Even with the delays starting it's never stayed out of sync.
post #9957 of 11957 Old 07-29-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
OK, just curious. I had issues with the Roku audio on devices with the Dolby hardware built in, but most of that was a case of both my 4k TV, and the Rpku trying to process the audio at the same time without a way to disable either one.

I am not sure what you mean. The AVR is where the audio stream is decoded and it is set to not pass the audio on to the 4k TV.

This isn't just a stutter or lip-sync issue. The audio drops out and does not return unless I completely power off the TV and AVR.
post #9958 of 11957 Old 07-29-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean. The AVR is where the audio stream is decoded and it is set to not pass the audio on to the 4k TV.

This isn't just a stutter or lip-sync issue. The audio drops out and does not return unless I completely power off the TV and AVR.
What I was explaining to you was with the Units that had the Dolby+ processing the Roku Processed the audio before it was sent out. Because in my 4K setup there is a mix of HDMI 1.4, and 2.0, I can't do a direct audio connection over HDM, and have 4k HDR. So the Roku goes through the TV first before it goes out the optical to the sound bar. So, because of that, both the Roku and TV were trying to process the signal at the same time causing conflicts.

The Roku units without the Dolby+ hardware simply pass the audio through and the TV processes the Dolby + single internally and sends it out as standard Dolby. The Roku in the bedroom is on a setup that's all HDMI 1.4, so it does have a direct HDMI connection, so it just sends the full D+ stream out and the sound bar receives it as the intended stream.

I know that the issue you were talking about is different. I was just saying the only audio issues I've had are the ones I mentioned above.
post #9959 of 11957 Old 07-29-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
What I was explaining to you was with the Units that had the Dolby+ processing the Roku Processed the audio before it was sent out. Because in my 4K setup there is a mix of HDMI 1.4, and 2.0, I can't do a direct audio connection over HDM, and have 4k HDR. So the Roku goes through the TV first before it goes out the optical to the sound bar. So, because of that, both the Roku and TV were trying to process the signal at the same time causing conflicts.

The Roku units without the Dolby+ hardware simply pass the audio through and the TV processes the Dolby + single internally and sends it out as standard Dolby. The Roku in the bedroom is on a setup that's all HDMI 1.4, so it does have a direct HDMI connection, so it just sends the full D+ stream out and the sound bar receives it as the intended stream.

I know that the issue you were talking about is different. I was just saying the only audio issues I've had are the ones I mentioned above.

So if I set the audio coming out of the Roku to DD/DTS instead of DD+/DTS or auto-detect, this may make a difference?
post #9960 of 11957 Old 07-29-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So if I set the audio coming out of the Roku to DD/DTS instead of DD+/DTS or auto-detect, this may make a difference?
It never hurts to try different audio settings to see if it's simply a configuration conflict. It's possible it's a bug you can't fix from your end, but why not see what you can do first to make sure it's not something you can at least reduce.
naustin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page