Originally Posted by aaronwt
Mine will play DTS from DTS-HD MA. When I was testing the other day, I had some issues with some of the rips. but most played fine. But it didn't seem to be specific to DD or DTS since most played back fine whether it had Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA. My LAst Jedi UHD BD MKV rip was playing back in 7.1 DD+. Which seemed unusual.
But this was all with forcing Direct playback. So there was no transcoding of the video or audio. And that seemed to bear out with my PLex PC. If not transcoding it only uses around 30 watts. But anytime it transcodes audio or video, the power usage climbs to 60 watts or more. After I set it to force Direct Play, it only used around 30 watts when playing back the UHD BD MKV rips I played.
But in the ned for me it's not a big deal. Once I found out that the ROku couldn't play every thing back locally anyway, That's when I got a Shield TV. Which can Direct Play all my content. So the Roku works great with my 1080P and lower content. But for UHD content, I just use my Shield TV with it.
: I know you'r trying to help, but you are not providing me any info to compare how I'm doing things that could change. I've tried the force direct play option, it's hit or miss, I've mentioned several times that I rip my discs with MakeMKV, so it's an exact copy of the disc.
I've mentioned that Plex Media server runs on a 27" iMac with a 3.3ghz core i5 with 32 GB Ram, and that it's a Skylake generation CPU, and it's Quad core. If the file is able to direct play, it shouldn't matter what the server is running on, it's dependent on the client (this case Roku)
With this all said there as been NO information given whether or not I'm doing something wrong with my rips, or if I'm have Plex configured wrong, etc.
I've done my best to go to the source of the problem, I've compared technical information with the experience I have with dealing with formats, and streaming. But lately I feel like I'm wasting my time and these forums and the people are utterly useless to me because I've been able to figure more stuff out on my own, and the information given here may have helped some, but it hasn't solved the problem.