Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 333 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9807Likes

post #9961 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
It never hurts to try different audio settings to see if it's simply a configuration conflict. It's possible it's a bug you can't fix from your end, but why not see what you can do first to make sure it's not something you can at least reduce.

This is true. Thanks. I am okay with using the optical cable for sound. So far no drop-outs today. What kills me is the picture drop out. It is only for about 3 seconds but it's annoying. It seems like it is exclusive to Netflix. If I resume watching a show, I get the sound for about 3 seconds before picture. I have also dried forcing the display settings instead of using auto detect but that made zero difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
@Scott M : have you been able to confirm the audio dropouts are specifically tied to the Roku firmware, and not the Amazon channel? the whole HDR situation made me think it could be Amazon's Roku channel and not the Roku software. Just a thought,.
I have not been watching anything other than Amazon on the Ultra, as the ATV4K works as well or better with everything else I stream. However, when the audio would go out in the Amazon app, I would also lose the audio "beeps" you get when navigating the Roku's menus. So, I suspect that audio went out in other apps, too, but I just cannot verify it.
post #9963 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Just wanted to clarify, will doing a factory reset also return settings in hidden menus back to default? Just in case I changed something and now want to put it back to the default?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9964 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I have not been watching anything other than Amazon on the Ultra, as the ATV4K works as well or better with everything else I stream. However, when the audio would go out in the Amazon app, I would also lose the audio "beeps" you get when navigating the Roku's menus. So, I suspect that audio went out in other apps, too, but I just cannot verify it.
OK, just curious, sometimes the individual channels can be badly written / designed too. Not saying the firmware can't have a bug just wondering if you checked both. As far as the navigation clicks, those have never worked right with my 5.1 sound bars. they always fade in and out, and the only way for them to be consistent is to set the Roku, or sound bar to Stereo only. I suspect, it's how Roku plays the sounds that makes it wonky with the 5.1 setup.
post #9965 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by J450N View Post
So if I set the audio coming out of the Roku to DD/DTS instead of DD+/DTS or auto-detect, this may make a difference?

When I tried this under the buggy firmware before version 4145, I would lose 5.1 audio completely and only get stereo. So, it would not even provide DD 5.1 with this setting. When set to DD+ / DTS or Auto, I would get audio dropouts.

Since I was reduced to stereo-only with the Ultra and its current audio bug, I just started using the ATV4K for Amazon, too, since the only issue with that combo is I get two-channel stereo only -- same as with the forced setting on the Ultra. This quirk with the ATV4K is the only reason I still have the Ultra in my main setup -- if Apple and /or Amazon would fix this issue I would just move the Ultra to our setup in the master bedroom attached directly to a Samsung 4K display (no audio system there), and move the Premiere (not the plus model) to another room with a 1080p display, since the Premiere doesn't support HDR.
post #9966 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Premier + to a Denon 4311CI 9.2 channel receiver. My System is only 1080p and Amazon played just fine last night watching about 5 episodes of Electric Dreams.
Vudu also played just fine the night before.
post #9967 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey all,
I was able to get the new Netflix interface back on the ROku units. Last night I force a remove and reinstall of the Netflix channel on my Rokus, then Today, I power cycled starting with the 2017 ultra waited about 30 seconds before reconnecting power. The new sidebar is back.

So, if anyone wants the new interface, that hasn't gotten it yet, try this, and see if it works.
post #9968 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it still possible for different versions of the same Roku channel to be installed on different models?

I looked at the Netflix info on the channel store for my 2017 Ultra, 2016 streaming stick, and 2016 Premiere+. The 2016 models have version 4.29.xxx installed the 2017 Ultra has version 5.0.xxx installed this would explain why the Ultra has a different looking splash screen then the other two units.
post #9969 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 05:12 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 9124 Post(s)
Liked: 5855
Quote:
@aaronwt : I know you'r trying to help, but you are not providing me any info to compare how I'm doing things that could change. I've tried the force direct play option, it's hit or miss, I've mentioned several times that I rip my discs with MakeMKV, so it's an exact copy of the disc.
I've mentioned that Plex Media server runs on a 27" iMac with a 3.3ghz core i5 with 32 GB Ram, and that it's a Skylake generation CPU, and it's Quad core. If the file is able to direct play, it shouldn't matter what the server is running on, it's dependent on the client (this case Roku)

With this all said there as been NO information given whether or not I'm doing something wrong with my rips, or if I'm have Plex configured wrong, etc.
I've done my best to go to the source of the problem, I've compared technical information with the experience I have with dealing with formats, and streaming. But lately I feel like I'm wasting my time and these forums and the people are utterly useless to me because I've been able to figure more stuff out on my own, and the information given here may have helped some, but it hasn't solved the problem.
The easiest solution is to just not mess with UHD BD rips from Plex on a Roku. Which is what I did. Which is mainly why I got a shield TV. The Rokubl is great for streaming UHD content from apps. But is severely lacking for playing local UHD content.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9970 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The easiest solution is to just not mess with UHD BD rips from Plex on a Roku. Which is what I did. Which is mainly why I got a shield TV. The Rokubl is great for streaming UHD content from apps. But is severely lacking for playing local UHD content.

@aaronwt : I've come to a similar conclusion, but instead of a Shield TV, I use InFuse for Apple TV for my local streams. Since the content I stream locally is either DVD (SD), or blu-ray (HD) I use the tv and sound system in the bedroom for that. I don't need to deal with transcoding, and the audio is decoded and sent as multi channel PCM, so I can listen to the lossless codecs which the Roku / Plex would never do anyway. The reason I was trying to get it to work with the Roku and Plex, is because I can't connect the Apple TV to the sound bar to get PCM audio because the passthrough is HDMI 1.4 so only 1080p So, I would lose 4K That's why this is a good solution for the 1080p setup as no quality is lost.

Anyway, the TV can pass standard DD, and DTS via optical, and ARC, so thought the Roku+Plex would be a good secondary option. With all the testing and frustration I've been through, It works, if I want to transcode, and after reading in both the Plex forums, and Roku forums on many issues regarding DTS and Roku+Plex, seems like there is no 100% fix, other then what I have done.

Thanks again for doing your best to help with a frustrating and irritating problem.
post #9971 of 11697 Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have to concur. I watched Independence Day (UHD rip) with my Shield last night, and discovered the audio is DTS:X, which my new AVR decodes. The opening title sequence with the letters flying overhead was very impressive, even with only two overhead speakers (which are really just two speakers pointed up behind my L/R mains). The Roku only gives you the lossy DTS core, and lossless 5.1.2 was a noticeable improvement over standard 5.1. If Roku ever finally adds full audio bitstreaming, then it will be close to ideal. But the Shield still wins because of caption support.
galonzo likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #9972 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
There are days I hate ALL streaming boxes, and the only thing that feels stable are my disc players, then there are the times where everything plays nicely. There are days I want to get rid of all technology except maybe a phone (just because that's a must have for communications )
Agreed. I've been thinking lately that going back to two-channel audio and 1080p SDR video would make things much less frustrating.
post #9973 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
Agreed. I've been thinking lately that going back to two-channel audio and 1080p SDR video would make things much less frustrating.
Standard 5.1 isn't too bad, I have sound bars that are 5.1, the bar has the front free speakers, then there are two rear that plug into a wireless sub. Ideal for a small environment such as apartment, and where a full wired setup isn't practical. It's difficult in itself to have a dedicated theater room in an apartment, so, with the knowledge I have, I went with the best options I had, and knew about at the time I had the extra money to upgrade.

In the case of my earlier statement, I still think going back to physical media only over streaming would be more reliable, especially now.

Personally, I wouldn't mind finding a commercial theater to go to that has the new standards such as Dolby Vision, and ATMOS and really judge the quality there instead of trying to replicate a commercial environment / setup, in a place that was just never designed for it.

I personally like the light of a good screen rather then LCD / LED that still, even with all the improvements can look a bit harsh on the eyes. When I had my Plasma TV, and I had it when I first started with ROKU, and blu-ray, etc the light was so much software and nicer to look at, and in the dark looked much more like the light you'd get from a projector / screen. I know there are differences, but still it was nice.
LDBetaGuy likes this.
post #9974 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This morning, the new Side bar in Netflix was back on the Rokus. I wonder how long the Yo-Yo effect will continue before it's stable and stays. It keeps going between the new and old interface, and coming back is random. The only thing I can say for sure is, a restart, or going into Netflix settings and completely exiting seems to produce the changes.
post #9975 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1697 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
Buy a 300 USD television & an antenna. To see blockbuster movies in Atmos and Dolby Vision, buy a 12 USD ticket at a theatre

The old days.
J450N and LDBetaGuy like this.
post #9976 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My 2017 Ultra finally got a Netflix update today, when checking for updates. The Premiere+, and 2016 Streaming stick reported they were up to date. Does Roku still roll out updates to some models, and not others when it comes to channels ?
post #9977 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Buy a 300 USD television & an antenna. To see blockbuster movies in Atmos and Dolby Vision, buy a 12 USD ticket at a theatre

The old days.
The last time I went to the Theater which was probably maybe 5+ years ago, I paid $6 for a ticket. I don't go a lot now, because I am unable to drive, and rarely is there someone to go with, so I usually just watch at home, but wouldn't mind the theatrical experience more.
post #9978 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just got a Youtube channel update. All I see new is, they added an hour glass loading animation on startup prior to the YouTube splash screen. To date, YouTube for Roku still doesn't support the 360 video I have one subscription for.
I would think it would be standard support by now, it's been around for a while, and I'm sure the Roku boxes have enough power to support it, especially the ones that can do HDR.
post #9979 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
When I tried this under the buggy firmware before version 4145, I would lose 5.1 audio completely and only get stereo. So, it would not even provide DD 5.1 with this setting. When set to DD+ / DTS or Auto, I would get audio dropouts.

So using the optical out to my AVR I set the Roku to output DD/DTS instead of DD+/DTS or auto detect. I made it through a whole show without dropouts The screen being black for a few seconds when starting a show on Netflix is still an issue though. Anyone else experiencing this???
post #9980 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So using the optical out to my AVR I set the Roku to output DD/DTS instead of DD+/DTS or auto detect. I made it through a whole show without dropouts The screen being black for a few seconds when starting a show on Netflix is still an issue though. Anyone else experiencing this???
None of the shows I watch on Netflix have given me a black screen, the only delay for me, has been starting a DD+ audio stream, but that's been minor. I have had the screen go black a few times when exiting Netflix however.
Have you checked the native framerate settings? Others have reported that causing issues, and when I tried it, the screen would go black a few seconds. With that said, I just keep that setting off
post #9981 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Have you checked the native framerate settings? Others have reported that causing issues, and when I tried it, the screen would go black a few seconds. With that said, I just keep that setting off

I keep that setting off too. Interestingly enough it seems like it only happens with HDR shows on Netflix. This is a very strange thing...
post #9982 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
I keep that setting off too. Interestingly enough it seems like it only happens with HDR shows on Netflix. This is a very strange thing...
Sounds like that’s your TV detecting the HDR signal and switching into HDR mode. Do you have the same blanking with HDR titles on Amazon or Vudu?
galonzo likes this.
post #9983 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Sounds like that’s your TV detecting the HDR signal and switching into HDR mode. Do you have the same blanking with HDR titles on Amazon or Vudu?
So at the moment nothing on my Amazon is in HDR right now... this is also odd.
post #9984 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have another device that's Netflix +HDR compatible? It might be a good idea to see if this is a Roku+Netflix+HDR issue, or if it's a Netflix+HDR issue regardless of the hardware /software being used in your setup.

Currently I don't have the HDR Netflix plan active, as it's not worth it for me right now. they don't have anything in HDR I find worth watching. With that said, I have tried the plan off and on with the Roku, Chromecast Ultra, and even the Apple TV 4K.
I don't remember any black screens before playback. This could be a recent issue though I haven't experienced, or it could be related to something in your setup. That's why I am suggesting testing different devices if you can.
post #9985 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So at the moment nothing on my Amazon is in HDR right now... this is also odd.
Amazon can be a PITA to find 4K titles. Are you only finding HD titles, or are you seeing Ultra HD, just no HDR? Check things like Amazon originals, Bosch, Sneaky Pete, The Grand Tour. If you get Ultra HD versions those should all be HDR.

I know my Sony 930E can have a black screen going to and from some HDR shows as the TV switches modes.
galonzo likes this.
post #9986 of 11697 Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Audio breakups happen with Amazon and Netflix, at least. Makes the ROKU ULTRA totally useless, already updated to the new firmware. I have already tried different settings to no avail. ULTRA to Pioneer SC97 to Sony Z9D. Everything was working fine before the 2 latest firmwares.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #9987 of 11697 Old 07-31-2018, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
My Samsung will blank the screen when switching to HDR, regardless of the source. So this is a very possible scenario.
kbmb and galonzo like this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #9988 of 11697 Old 07-31-2018, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Audio breakups happen with Amazon and Netflix, at least. Makes the ROKU ULTRA totally useless, already updated to the new firmware. I have already tried different settings to no avail. ULTRA to Pioneer SC97 to Sony Z9D. Everything was working fine before the 2 latest firmwares.
I rarely watch Netflix anymore, but I watch Amazon every day. Don't have any audio breakups at all. I'm using the original Ultra (model 4640) connected via HDMI to a Yamaha AVR, which connects to a Panasonic 1080 plasma. And this setup doesn't even have 18 GHz certified cables, since it's only an HDMI 1.4 connection. I now have a Shield on my 4K Samsung, so I moved the Ultra here.

Dan
post #9989 of 11697 Old 07-31-2018, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I rarely watch Netflix anymore, but I watch Amazon every day. Don't have any audio breakups at all. I'm using the original Ultra (model 4640) connected via HDMI to a Yamaha AVR, which connects to a Panasonic 1080 plasma. And this setup doesn't even have 18 GHz certified cables, since it's only an HDMI 1.4 connection. I now have a Shield on my 4K Samsung, so I moved the Ultra here.
Does your Shield have Amazon video? I had been thinking about getting one, for a local streamer in the living room, since it seems to be people's #1 choice for that, but if it's anything like my Sony TV with Android TV built in, I would prefer to wait until all the same Apps I use on my Apple TV, and Roku are available for Android TV (natively available, no side loading needed.)
post #9990 of 11697 Old 07-31-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just wanted to confirm - my Sony 930e does the same thing with Netflix......TV blanks out for a few seconds when starting an HDR program. Very normal as the TV switches to the HDR settings. Don't think anything is wrong in your setup.

Quote:
Does your Shield have Amazon video? I had been thinking about getting one, for a local streamer in the living room, since it seems to be people's #1 choice for that, but if it's anything like my Sony TV with Android TV built in, I would prefer to wait until all the same Apps I use on my Apple TV, and Roku are available for Android TV (natively available, no side loading needed.)
I won't speak to how well it works since I haven't had a Shield in over a year.....but the Shield does have a native Amazon app in 4K/HDR. My Sony TV also has an Amazon app that does 4K/HDR. Also just noticed that Amazon updated the app to include X-Ray during playback.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by kbmb; 07-31-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page