Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 334 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9840Likes

post #9991 of 11754 Old 07-31-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Just wanted to confirm - my Sony 930e does the same thing with Netflix......TV blanks out for a few seconds when starting an HDR program. Very normal as the TV switches to the HDR settings. Don't think anything is wrong in your setup.

I won't speak to how well it works since I haven't had a Shield in over a year.....but the Shield does have a native Amazon app in 4K/HDR. My Sony TV also has an Amazon app that does 4K/HDR. Also just noticed that Amazon updated the app to include X-Ray during playback.
@kbmb , streaming 4K / HDR is also a hard thing for me to speak for currently, even with the Roku, and my current devices. I've done it, but I usually do HDR with physical media. Ever since Roku fixed the majority of the problems I was having. I mainly use the Roku and Apple TV for streaming depending on what interface I want. The biggest gripe I've had lately has been using Plex for local streaming to pass Standard DTS through on my setup that can't do PCM multi channel because of HDMI spec differences and pass through not a reliable option without either audio or video quality loss. The Sony player works best for both because it has dual HDMI outs, the Roku works fine as it doesn't pass lossless audio anyway, and Dolby + is sent through the tv and converted to standard dolby out the optical, so I still get 5.1 audio from streaming services, and honestly I've compared my two setups and the DD vs DD+ doesn't give me much of a difference in quality. Again, it's the local streaming that gives me the most frustration, when it comes to picking a solution.

So far, Plex with Roku works ok, if I want things transcoded, for a direct play solution, seems like Infuse on the Apple TV, or DLNA on the Sony players.
Hearing people talk about the Shield TV, and seeing it reviewed by people who want a good local streaming solution made me want to ask again what people thought about it compared to Roku, and other products people compare here.

As far as Amazon Video, I tend to use it the least now as movies anywhere as taken care of that, and the content that is specific to Amazon, isn't 4k, HDR, or even HD. (Yellowstone, is HD) and it's specific to my Amazon library, so I take that back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 11754 Old 07-31-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Does your Shield have Amazon video? I had been thinking about getting one, for a local streamer in the living room, since it seems to be people's #1 choice for that, but if it's anything like my Sony TV with Android TV built in, I would prefer to wait until all the same Apps I use on my Apple TV, and Roku are available for Android TV (natively available, no side loading needed.)
Yep, has Amazon. I haven't tried it yet, since I mostly got it for streaming my local HD/UHD rips with lossless audio. All of my other TVs still have a Roku interface (either the Ultra or Roku TVs). I still like the Roku overall, as it's much easier for the family to use compared to the Shield. But it was a pleasant surprise to see my Yamaha showing DTS:X while watching Independence Day. I didn't even realize the Yamaha supported it. Between the lossless audio and support for captions, the Shield is tough to beat.

Of course, even the Ultra is far less expensive than the least expensive Shield, so it's a tough call for people that aren't streaming local content. If I wasn't streaming local content, Roku would still be my go to device.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #9993 of 11754 Old 07-31-2018, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Yep, has Amazon. I haven't tried it yet, since I mostly got it for streaming my local HD/UHD rips with lossless audio. All of my other TVs still have a Roku interface (either the Ultra or Roku TVs). I still like the Roku overall, as it's much easier for the family to use compared to the Shield. But it was a pleasant surprise to see my Yamaha showing DTS:X while watching Independence Day. I didn't even realize the Yamaha supported it. Between the lossless audio and support for captions, the Shield is tough to beat.

Of course, even the Ultra is far less expensive than the least expensive Shield, so it's a tough call for people that aren't streaming local content. If I wasn't streaming local content, Roku would still be my go to device.
Last time I asked at Best Buy they said they were selling the Shield TV for $150, just something to keep in mind for anyone looking. Cheaper then the Apple TV 4k, if you can get it at the price.

As I mentioned above, Roku has become solid for me once they fixed the issues I was having. For local streaming I'll use another solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9994 of 11754 Old 07-31-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm watching the Yellowstone Series on Amazon Video right now, It has three episodes.

I'm going to watch and listen for any audio dropouts people have been reporting with Amazon. This is in stereo, and HD, but I would think it might still have a chance of being affected.

Anyone with Prime can probably watch it free. When I got it, the first episode "Winter" was free. Spring, and Summer, the other two episodes were either $1, or $2 each. Can't remember I added it a long time ago.

I'm suggesting this show, because it's the only thing I can think of that I have, someone else might want to test to compare. Especially someone having the audio issues.
post #9995 of 11754 Old 07-31-2018, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Do you have another device that's Netflix +HDR compatible? It might be a good idea to see if this is a Roku+Netflix+HDR issue, or if it's a Netflix+HDR issue regardless of the hardware /software being used in your setup.

The only other device that is Netflix and HDR compatible is my TV using its internal apps. I checked and the issue is not present watching Netflix through the TV app. Does not appear to be an issue with HDR content on YouTube through the TV app either. Ironically the reason I got the Roku was due to how unstable the Netflix app is on my TV (2016 Samsung SUHD). Once I was able to locate HDR content on Amazon through the TV's app there was no issue. Amazon HDR content via the Roku is another story. The screen going black is worse than it is with Netflix.

Last edited by J450N; 07-31-2018 at 07:09 PM.
post #9996 of 11754 Old 07-31-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by J450N View Post
The only other device that is Netflix and HDR compatible is my TV using its internal apps. I checked and the issue is not present watching Netflix through the TV app. Does not appear to be an issue with HDR content on YouTube through the TV app either. Ironically the reason I got the Roku was due to how unstable the Netflix app is on my TV (2016 Samsung SUHD). Once I was able to locate HDR content on Amazon through the TV's app there was no issue. Amazon HDR content via the Roku is another story. The screen going black is worse than it is with Netflix.
Has HDR ever worked with the Roku for you? Do you have HDMI UHD Color set to ON for the hdmi input the Roku is plugged into?
galonzo likes this.
post #9997 of 11754 Old 07-31-2018, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 329
My audio breakups only happen with DD+, never on stereo. Tonight I watched 2 episodes of Wallander , DD+, without a single break. Go figure.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #9998 of 11754 Old 08-01-2018, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just re-activated my Hulu subscription for no commercials. going to see what their content selection is like since I haven't used them for a while.

I am happy to see that it kept "My Stuff" active and some of the shows I had added first time are still there. I know there are people here who use both Netflix, and Hulu.
post #9999 of 11754 Old 08-01-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked: 5807
Quote:
I just re-activated my Hulu subscription for no commercials. going to see what their content selection is like since I haven't used them for a while.

I am happy to see that it kept "My Stuff" active and some of the shows I had added first time are still there. I know there are people here who use both Netflix, and Hulu.
I have had Hulu for quite some time and enjoy it, its two channel audio notwithstanding. In my opinion, Hulu's original series, The Handmaid's Tale, is one of the best shows on television. They also have a bunch of old British shows not available anywhere else. One of my favorites is MI-5.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #10000 of 11754 Old 08-01-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I have had Hulu for quite some time and enjoy it, its two channel audio notwithstanding. In my opinion, Hulu's original series, The Handmaid's Tale, is one of the best shows on television. They also have a bunch of old British shows not available anywhere else. One of my favorites is MI-5.
They still have the Stargate shows, and it remembered where I left off, I'm watching Atlantis. The Roku channel for Hulu seems to have matured nicely since they redid it. I am aware that most of what I'm going to watch will be 2 channel through Hulu, just wanted to see if they re-added any of the old Marvel stuff I paid to watch the first time. I'll give it a month and see, do some searching.

I feel equally about Netflix and Hulu right now. Both have content I like, and watch but not the classic ideal stuff I was hoping for. I am at the point where I'm willing to pay for 1, but probably not both on a long term basis, so will see which one I like the best. 4K / HDR is not a deciding factor for me as what's available isn't what I'm interested in. I'll also keep an eye out for wrong aspect ratio people have reported here with Hulu as well.
post #10001 of 11754 Old 08-01-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by J450N View Post
Quote:
Has HDR ever worked with the Roku for you? Do you have HDMI UHD Color set to ON for the hdmi input the Roku is plugged into?
My 2015 Sammy somehow switches between HDR and SDR without any black screen or hesitation as well, but only with the internal apps. The black screen transition is normal for HDMI-connected devices, including my Roku, ATV4K, and UHD disk players; I believe Samsung adds it in to "hide" the garbled mess you would normally see during the new handshake that has to occur (you know, the check to see if you should be allowed to display what you're about to display in UHD via HDMI).
kbmb likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #10002 of 11754 Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
My 2015 Sammy somehow switches between HDR and SDR without any black screen or hesitation as well, but only with the internal apps. The black screen transition is normal for HDMI-connected devices, including my Roku, ATV4K, and UHD disk players; I believe Samsung adds it in to "hide" the garbled mess you would normally see during the new handshake that has to occur (you know, the check to see if you should be allowed to display what you're about to display in UHD via HDMI).
My 2016 Sony doesn't go black, but there is a quick flash on the screen as the mode is switched. This does however usually take place on a black screen before the video plays. In my case though most of my video that does it has a black lead in.
post #10003 of 11754 Old 08-01-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:

100% Yes on both
post #10004 of 11754 Old 08-01-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Tonight I played the 4K disc of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children in my udp-203. There was less than a 1 second of the "black screen" transition you are describing and yes, I do consider this to be normal. If that's all that was happening I wouldn't care, but what I am referring to with the Roku is different. It is literally 3 seconds of blackness, almost like the TV is losing the signal. This happens anytime that I start a show or movie, stop a show or movie, return to the main Netflix or Amazon screen or the Roku's home screen. Perhaps this is "normal" but it never happened before. This also start happening right around the time the audio drop out issue occurred.
post #10005 of 11754 Old 08-02-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
^^^^ @J450N , You may be right, it's possible that the Roku's handshake process could be taking longer than normal, and I just haven't noticed (my Roku is connected to the HDMI input of my 203, BTW); I haven't really compared the timing of the black screen HDMI handshake between my various HDR devices, but I will pay closer attention and see if I notice a difference next time

I noticed the last UHD disk I played on my 203 had an SDR menu screen, but I wasn't paying close enough attention to the transition, whereas most UHD disks have HDR menu screens, thus eliminating any black screen when going from the menu to the feature. This disk is the perfect test case, I'll let you know how it goes...

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #10006 of 11754 Old 08-02-2018, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Un update on my audio breakups: I was trying to figure why it doesn't happen always and I guess I found the answer. The breakups only occur on DD+ , never on stereo, and only after I do any trickplay(pause, RW,FF). If I don't use any trickplay, everything works well. After using a PAUSE or FF, or RW, it starts and doesn't go away until I switch to another input. I will keep looking at this to confirm and would be great if some other people facing the problem do the same observation.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #10007 of 11754 Old 08-03-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Un update on my audio breakups: I was trying to figure why it doesn't happen always and I guess I found the answer. The breakups only occur on DD+ , never on stereo, and only after I do any trickplay(pause, RW,FF). If I don't use any trickplay, everything works well. After using a PAUSE or FF, or RW, it starts and doesn't go away until I switch to another input. I will keep looking at this to confirm and would be great if some other people facing the problem do the same observation.
I don't have the constant dropouts here, but I have stated before that I've observed a slight delay with DD+ audio. I do take note on pause RW FF actions and while sometimes there might be a slight delay while the audio stream begins again, I've never observed it out of sync, or going into a continuous loop of dropouts. For the most part once the audio starts, it plays reliably.

I will add I believe the DD+ issue is ROKU specific in this case. Services like Netflix, and VUDU that both stream DD+ are on other platforms, and I don't recall having the same delay issues. I have also observed, it doesn't always happen with the Roku either.

Last edited by MacinMan; 08-03-2018 at 05:43 AM.
post #10008 of 11754 Old 08-03-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Today, on my Ultra, (Amazon) Prime no longer has a menu list for Ultra HD, and selections I know were 4K are no longer playing back in anything higher than 1080p.

The Netflix app on the same Ultra plays 4K selections.

Anyone having an issue with Prime 4K programs on their Ultra?
post #10009 of 11754 Old 08-03-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Today, on my Ultra, (Amazon) Prime no longer has a menu list for Ultra HD, and selections I know were 4K are no longer playing back in anything higher than 1080p.

I just got done watching TGT in 4K/HDR on my Ultra.
Sometimes when apps (or streamers) are updated, a restart fixes problems. May be worth a try.
Also check your your display settings in the Ultra- let it recheck your display and make sure it is showing your TV as 4K.

"When all else fails, read the manual."

Last edited by tngiloy; 08-03-2018 at 02:38 PM.
post #10010 of 11754 Old 08-03-2018, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:

Are you checking the Movie Genre and TV Genre Rows where the UHD 4K are listed in the first Box/Tile? Amazon redid things a few weeks ago. Movie Genre row is 21 rows down. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prime HDR.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	2436848  
LeeSoFl and galonzo like this.

Last edited by naustin; 08-03-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: grammar
post #10011 of 11754 Old 08-03-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Are you checking the Movie Genre and TV Genre Rows where the UHD 4K are listed in the first Box/Tile? Amazon redid things a few weeks ago. Movie Genre row in 21 rows down. Good luck.
Yes, that worked, got me to the Movie Genre menu and 4K/UHD was there as your picture showed. Wow, it that a pain in the neck, though.

Also, if you search for a title, even though a 4K version is available, Prime search only takes you to a 1080 one.

tngiloy- the restart of TV and devices didn't do the trick, but thanks.
J450N likes this.
post #10012 of 11754 Old 08-04-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Yes, that worked, got me to the Movie Genre menu and 4K/UHD was there as your picture showed. Wow, it that a pain in the neck, though. Also, if you search for a title, even though a 4K version is available, Prime search only takes you to a 1080 one.
If 4K/UHD titles on Amazon Prime are your only concern then it's always a good idea to do your research beforehand. You're usually on your computer anyway. Currently there are only 41 UHD movies listed on Amazon Prime and 81 TV series, most of which are Amazon Originals. In a different thread I've included instructions for adding content you're interested in to your watchlist.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-v...l#post56488410
tngiloy likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #10013 of 11754 Old 08-04-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Really enjoy the VUDU sales at times, easy to pick up some older movies for cheap.
Also been using Plex more with the ROKU and letting the audio transcode, it's been pretty reliable, even if I set the video to full quality, and let the audio transcode, or select AC3 it's been rock solid.

Question: when looking at the now playing section in Plex, and there is (hw) after the video conversion, does this mean it's using hardware acceleration? that was my first thought. Either way, things seem to be pretty solid here after the 4145 upgrade. Have had minimal issues after I stopped pressing Plex to do extra stuff in an environment it wasn't intended for.
post #10014 of 11754 Old 08-04-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
If 4K/UHD titles on Amazon Prime are your only concern then it's always a good idea to do your research beforehand. You're usually on your computer anyway. Currently there are only 41 UHD movies listed on Amazon Prime and 81 TV series, most of which are Amazon Originals. In a different thread I've included instructions for adding content you're interested in to your watchlist.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-v...l#post56488410
Thanks for the link from to your earlier post to 'instant watcher'.
Amazon should make it so easy.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #10015 of 11754 Old 08-08-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Well there is an updated Amazon App on the Rokus today.

I didn't notice any differences with it still being difficult to locate UHD 4K content.

I will be curious to see if we get Atmos with Jack Ryan when released on August 31. Amazon may limit Atmos to their FireTV streamers initially.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by naustin; 08-08-2018 at 12:11 PM.
post #10016 of 11754 Old 08-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
This disk is the perfect test case, I'll let you know how it goes...

Thank you
post #10017 of 11754 Old 08-08-2018, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Well there is an updated Amazon App on the Rokus today.

I didn't notice any differences with it still being difficult to locate UHD 4K content.

I will be curious to see if we get Atmos with Jack Ryan when released on August 31. Amazon may limit Atmos to their FireTV streamers initially.
I was just going to post there was an update today, and ask those who were having issues with audio, and other Amazon related things, if there was any change for them?

Since Amazon rarely gives me any issues, it's really hard for me to say if there is a difference or not.
post #10018 of 11754 Old 08-09-2018, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
I was just going to post there was an update today, and ask those who were having issues with audio, and other Amazon related things, if there was any change for them?

Since Amazon rarely gives me any issues, it's really hard for me to say if there is a difference or not.
I have audio problems with Netflix after the update
post #10019 of 11754 Old 08-10-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just wanted to pass on the word that if anyone here uses Microsoft Movies and TV, they have joined Movies Anywhere, and if you connect your account, you get a free movie. At least I did when I connected my Microsoft account.

I got an email from Movies Anywhere about 15 minutes ago.
post #10020 of 11754 Old 08-10-2018, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
I just wanted to pass on the word that if anyone here uses Microsoft Movies and TV, they have joined Movies Anywhere, and if you connect your account, you get a free movie. At least I did when I connected my Microsoft account.

I got an email from Movies Anywhere about 15 minutes ago.
I wasn't even aware Microsoft had a Movies and TV function. But I did just link my Microsoft account to MA, and yes I immediately received an email saying that X-Men, Days of Future Past has been added to my collection. Sweet deal, thanks!
aaronwt likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page