Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 335 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9951Likes

post #10021 of 11914 Old 08-10-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I wasn't even aware Microsoft had a Movies and TV function. But I did just link my Microsoft account to MA, and yes I immediately received an email saying that X-Men, Days of Future Past has been added to my collection. Sweet deal, thanks!
yep, that's the movie I got too, and I mainly linked my MS account to get the movie. Though, now all my other MoviesAnywhere content should also populate to Microsoft as well. Might be a nice deal for someone with an Xbox, built in vs a third party app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10022 of 11914 Old 08-10-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 605
I just started up Movies and TVs on my Windows 10 PC, and yep, all of my MA videos are there. I didn't even know it was there. Nice! But it does look like all of my 4K titles are only 1080 here. I wonder if that's because my PC is only 1080, or if it's a limitation of the MS product.

Does Roku have a Microsoft Movies and TV channel? That would be one more potential option for accessing the media.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10023 of 11914 Old 08-10-2018, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just started up Movies and TVs on my Windows 10 PC, and yep, all of my MA videos are there. I didn't even know it was there. Nice! But it does look like all of my 4K titles are only 1080 here. I wonder if that's because my PC is only 1080, or if it's a limitation of the MS product.

Does Roku have a Microsoft Movies and TV channel? That would be one more potential option for accessing the media.
@atc98092 I would try an Xbox S, or X if you have access, then you might get 4k. It might be like iTunes where the computer is HD, and the setop box / console has UHD /HDR support.
by the way, if you like Patrick Stewart, you'll be happy to know he Plays professor X in this movie. I'm watching it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10024 of 11914 Old 08-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
Un update on my audio breakups: I was trying to figure why it doesn't happen always and I guess I found the answer. The breakups only occur on DD+ , never on stereo, and only after I do any trickplay(pause, RW,FF). If I don't use any trickplay, everything works well. After using a PAUSE or FF, or RW, it starts and doesn't go away until I switch to another input. I will keep looking at this to confirm and would be great if some other people facing the problem do the same observation.

This is a known bug that was introduced in 8.1 over a month ago. It seems to affect primarily Ultra units that are connected to AVRs.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=116513

The TLDR on that thread is that

- It was introduced with 8.1
- Roku knows about the problem
- There's no ETA for a fix or even a confirmation that it's being worked on
- A temporary workaround is to go into your Roku's audio settings and change it from "Auto" to "Stereo"

You are not alone!
slimoli likes this.
post #10025 of 11914 Old 08-10-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
@atc98092 I would try an Xbox S, or X if you have access, then you might get 4k. It might be like iTunes where the computer is HD, and the setop box / console has UHD /HDR support.
by the way, if you like Patrick Stewart, you'll be happy to know he Plays professor X in this movie. I'm watching it now.
And he's also returning to Star Trek. Never thought I'd see that happen.

I'm not overly concerned with getting 4K from these, since I can stream them all from my home server from the ripped disc. And I am not enough of a gamer to buy an Xbox or PS4. My Shield or my Roku Ultra or Sharp Roku TV streams them just fine. For the lossless audio it's the Shield for me. But I wish Roku would offer a premium player that supports lossless audio bitstreaming and native PGS caption support. Then it would be ideal.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10026 of 11914 Old 08-10-2018, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And he's also returning to Star Trek. Never thought I'd see that happen.

I'm not overly concerned with getting 4K from these, since I can stream them all from my home server from the ripped disc. And I am not enough of a gamer to buy an Xbox or PS4. My Shield or my Roku Ultra or Sharp Roku TV streams them just fine. For the lossless audio it's the Shield for me. But I wish Roku would offer a premium player that supports lossless audio bitstreaming and native PGS caption support. Then it would be ideal.
I got you, I was only suggesting this for access to the Microsoft service. I think at least for the time being, Microsoft Movies & TV is only available on Microsoft products just as iTunes is only available on Apple products. I don't think I've seen any Microsoft channels on Roku, though they have the Playstation VUE channel. So, maybe it will show up one day.
post #10027 of 11914 Old 08-11-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They have the Matrix Trilogy on the Roku Channel. I own much better quality versions, but figured i'd check it out anyway. I am happy to see more content is 5.1 on the Roku channel, the last couple movies / TV shows I've looked at have been 5.1.

I'll have to go back and check my Blu-ray copies but I think Roku has messed up their copy's original aspect ratio. Really bothers me when providers do stuff like this. Either way, at least the quality doesn't suck.
galonzo likes this.
post #10028 of 11914 Old 08-11-2018, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have an unusual problem. I have a new Yamaha AVR connected to a new 65" Vizio TV with the ARC port (See signature). The AVR replaced a 5-year old Yamaha AVR.

The ROKU unit does not broadcast the video to the TV no matter which of the seven HDMI ports are used. The sound works but the screen is black and prevents even the "on-screen menu" from presenting.

I have tried three different ROKU units and four different HDMI cables all with the same result. When plugged directly into the TV, the ROKU units perform as expected. In addition, the SageTV and Shield both perform as expected on each of the seven Yamaha HDMI Ports. And there were no issues when using the earlier Yamaha unit with the same ROKU device.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would cause this?

1) Vizio PQ65-F1 and 2) Visio D32F-F1
Yamaha RX-A3080 - Darbee Darblet DVP-5000
Roku - 2) Ultra, 1) Premiere, 1) nVidia Shield
SageTV v9 - HD300, Tablo QUAD
4) SiliconDust HDHomeRun units (10 tuners)

Last edited by RonBoyd; 08-11-2018 at 08:12 AM.
post #10029 of 11914 Old 08-11-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I have an unusual problem. I have a new Yamaha AVR connected to a new 65" Vizio TV with the ARC port (See signature). The AVR replaced a 5-year old Yamaha AVR....
Sounds like a setting on your Yamaha for HDR pass through isn't set correctly. You might try a Yamaha thread.
post #10030 of 11914 Old 08-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Sounds like a setting on your Yamaha for HDR pass through isn't set correctly. You might try a Yamaha thread.
Oh! You are correct. I was "blaming" the ROKU units when it could easily be some setting I missed (am missing) in the AVR. I was thrown off, I suppose, because the other attached devices have no issues. Thank you.
naustin likes this.

post #10031 of 11914 Old 08-11-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Oh! You are correct. I was "blaming" the ROKU units when it could easily be some setting I missed (am missing) in the AVR. I was thrown off, I suppose, because the other attached devices have no issues. Thank you.
Im about to upgrade my Yamaha receiver so when you figure out what setting you had wrong could you let me know. Thanks

Matt
post #10032 of 11914 Old 08-11-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Im about to upgrade my Yamaha receiver so when you figure out what setting you had wrong could you let me know. Thanks
I intend to post the results in any event. However, I most likely won't know anything until next week since Yamaha is a m-f/8-5 kinda company. And then, I may have to lean on Vizio and Roku's help desk(s) before I get it resolved.

FWIW, other than that the A3080 is pretty impressive.

post #10033 of 11914 Old 08-11-2018, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a lower model Yamaha, but it should behave the same. I had to make sure the video was set for passthrough, and in the hidden menu I had to make sure it was in Mode 1. It worked in Mode 2, but I couldn't get 4K/60, only 4K/30. Even with a Roku 4 I had to have it on Mode 1.

But that shouldn't cause no display at all. I would expect something to come through. Certainly sounds like something in the AVR isn't set correctly.

Dan
post #10034 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a lower model Yamaha, but it should behave the same. I had to make sure the video was set for passthrough, and in the hidden menu I had to make sure it was in Mode 1. It worked in Mode 2, but I couldn't get 4K/60, only 4K/30. Even with a Roku 4 I had to have it on Mode 1.

But that shouldn't cause no display at all. I would expect something to come through. Certainly sounds like something in the AVR isn't set correctly.
Where do you find the hidden menu?

Matt
post #10035 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:

I got it a few years ago at https://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...oku-device.htm. But if not there any more just Google some version of "Secret Menu" +ROKU.

Last edited by RonBoyd; 08-12-2018 at 08:03 AM.
post #10036 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I have an unusual problem. I have a new Yamaha AVR connected to a new 65" Vizio TV with the ARC port (See signature). The AVR replaced a 5-year old Yamaha AVR.

The ROKU unit does not broadcast the video to the TV no matter which of the seven HDMI ports are used. The sound works but the screen is black and prevents even the "on-screen menu" from presenting.

I have tried three different ROKU units and four different HDMI cables all with the same result. When plugged directly into the TV, the ROKU units perform as expected. In addition, the SageTV and Shield both perform as expected on each of the seven Yamaha HDMI Ports. And there were no issues when using the earlier Yamaha unit with the same ROKU device.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would cause this?

For those keeping track:

The solution was to change the "HDCP Version" from "Auto" to "1.4" for the "AV2" port which is where the ROKU unit was plugged into.

post #10037 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi

New to this thread. I have a Roku Premiere + that I got early on. It's connected directly with a 3 foot cable to an LG B6. My problem is that I get random HDCP errors whatever I'm watching whether it's plain HD or 4K HDR. The box might work OK for a couple of hours then BOOM I get a full screen full of text explaining how to "fix" my system's HDCP. The message lasts for about 5 seconds then goes away. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with content. I can skip back and replay the "missing" segment just fine. I'm quite perplexed. I scanned all of the threads for HDCP errors and didn't see anything that exactly matched my particular issue. I've even changed the display setting to 1080P and still get this error on regular HD content. I used to get a purple screen, but this is just a plain black and white screen. The Roku claims I'm on the current firmware which is 8.1.... This doesn't keep me from using the Roku, but is frustratingly annoying.
post #10038 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbob38 View Post
Hi

New to this thread. I have a Roku Premiere + that I got early on. It's connected directly with a 3 foot cable to an LG B6. My problem is that I get random HDCP errors whatever I'm watching whether it's plain HD or 4K HDR. The box might work OK for a couple of hours then BOOM I get a full screen full of text explaining how to "fix" my system's HDCP. The message lasts for about 5 seconds then goes away. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with content. I can skip back and replay the "missing" segment just fine. I'm quite perplexed. I scanned all of the threads for HDCP errors and didn't see anything that exactly matched my particular issue. I've even changed the display setting to 1080P and still get this error on regular HD content. I used to get a purple screen, but this is just a plain black and white screen. The Roku claims I'm on the current firmware which is 8.1.... This doesn't keep me from using the Roku, but is frustratingly annoying.
I have owned the Premiere+ for some time and have never had any HDCP problems with my 3 foot Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable. Swapping out the cable is usually the simplest solution. If it's not the problem then it would seem to be an issue with the LG firmware and Roku firmware.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #10039 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Quote:
I got it a few years ago at https://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...oku-device.htm. But if not there any more just Google some version of "Secret Menu" +ROKU.
Code:
ROKU REMOTE OPERATION KEYS:  Debug option screen has a few useful options:  update software, cycle channel store server

Secret Platform Screen: (temp monitor)
Home:5x, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF

Secret Screen:  
Home:5x, FF:3x, Rewind:2x

Installed software versions screen
Home:3x, Up:2x, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left

Enable developer mode
Home:3x, Up:2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right

Quality settings screen/Bitrate Screen: (set bitrates)
Home:5x, Rewind:3x, FF:2x

Reboot  (will take a few moments for screen to reboot)
Home:5x, Up, Rewind:2x, FF:2x

Secret Antenna Menu
Home(X5), FF, Down, Rewind, Down, FF

Roku 3 Enable Speakers Plus Headphone Jack Toggle (To toggle it on and off, press these buttons on the remote volume control while the headphone is inserted…)
Up:2x, Down:2x, Up:3x, Down:3x
Here is the list I saved a while back.
Almost certainly an incomplete list.
And I am not sure which still work on which SW version.

v/r,
C-F
post #10040 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
For those keeping track:

The solution was to change the "HDCP Version" from "Auto" to "1.4" for the "AV2" port which is where the ROKU unit was plugged into.
I don't own a Yamaha, but you should not have to degrade to a 1.4 (non HDR) port. HDR requires 2.0 ports. Have you tried premium certified cables that are 12 feet in length or less? Good luck.
post #10041 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd
For those keeping track:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
I don't own a Yamaha, but you should not have to degrade to a 1.4 (non HDR) port. HDR requires 2.0 ports. Have you tried premium certified cables that are 12 feet in length or less? Good luck.
Thank you for this. I quite agree. But as I mentioned earlier, I had tried four different HDMI cables (of various quality... and sources) all less than three feet in length. I am not ruling out your suggestion, however, I have quite a few HDMI cables that I can try but it will be tomorrow... at the soonest.

post #10042 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The hidden menu I am referring to is on the Yamaha, not the Roku. You have to hold a button while powering the AVR up to enter it. I believe it's the "straight" button to access the menu.
mattg3 likes this.

Dan
post #10043 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The hidden menu I am referring to is on the Yamaha, not the Roku. You have to hold a button while powering the AVR up to enter it. I believe it's the "straight" button to access the menu.
Thanks,I found the hidden menu in my Yamaha 683 on line manual and it seems like its set to mode 1 by default and is that the best mode for using the receiver with 4K screen? Im in the process of upgrading my video room with a Sony A8F and the Yamaha 683 along with my older Oppo 83 and a 4K player and perhaps a 4K Roku. The 683 has 3 HDMI inputs with HDCP 2.2 and two inputs without.Im assuming I should connect all my devices to the 2.2 inputs including the Oppo 83 even though its an older device with no HDCP 2.2. If I chose to use the standard non 2.2 HDMI input for the Oppo,would it still display a picture on my Sony? Thanks

Matt
post #10044 of 11914 Old 08-12-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks,I found the hidden menu in my Yamaha 683 on line manual and it seems like its set to mode 1 by default and is that the best mode for using the receiver with 4K screen? Im in the process of upgrading my video room with a Sony A8F and the Yamaha 683 along with my older Oppo 83 and a 4K player and perhaps a 4K Roku. The 683 has 3 HDMI inputs with HDCP 2.2 and two inputs without.Im assuming I should connect all my devices to the 2.2 inputs including the Oppo 83 even though its an older device with no HDCP 2.2. If I chose to use the standard non 2.2 HDMI input for the Oppo,would it still display a picture on my Sony? Thanks
I had heard that they had finally changed the default to Mode 1. That's good, because it's required for 4K/60 HDR passthrough. If your Oppo is still 1.4, then it shouldn't matter which AVR port you use. Yes, you should certainly get a signal on your Sony. The Yamaha should just be passing the video through to the TV without alteration, and the Sony will certainly support a 1080p signal.
mattg3 likes this.

Dan
post #10045 of 11914 Old 08-17-2018, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Greetings. I have a basic Roku stick for a small tv so somewhat familiar. But now I am looking at a roku ultra as my Sony XBR75 940d apps are not keeping up with 4k uhd hdr which I want on at least vudu, netflix, and Amazon prime. I think the ultra gives me that, correct?
And at 4:4:4 which my TV supports.

My issue is if I run it through my Denon x6400h because then my receiver will upscale all output to 4k and I want my TV to do scaling. So I want to run it direct to TV like I do my 4K disc player and another hdmi for audio to receiver.. However the Roku has only one hdmi out while my player had 2.

Is there an hdmi splitter or audio extractor that maintains all the hdr uhd 4:4:4 60hz etc goodness on the video side and gives me the raw audio via hdmi to send to my receiver?

I have used monoprice devices in the past but I know there can be compatability issues so wanted to see if any had success with any.

O yes, and my review of this thread shows the ultra creates wifi direct spot for the remote so even if I use ethernet I need to pull remote batteries? I saw a few workarounds but sounds like the same as my stick. I can just use my Harmony.

Thanks,
BJBBJB
post #10046 of 11914 Old 08-17-2018, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Roku Ultra does not support 4:4:4. It only offers 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. Also, you should be able to disable your Denon from doing any video processing. I can turn it off in my Yamaha AVRs, so I'd be surprised if the Denon didn't have that option.

The Roku Ultra upscales all non-4K material unless you switch the display resolution. It does not support outputting native resolution, so your AVR or TV wouldn't be doing any upscaling anyway. It does, however, support framerate switching.

You might be happier with an Nvidia Shield, which can switch resolutions on the fly (at least with some apps), and I believe supports 4:4:4.

I believe there are HDMI splitters that do what you want, but if you turn off video processing in your Denon it shouldn't be necessary.
galonzo likes this.

Dan
post #10047 of 11914 Old 08-18-2018, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post
My issue is if I run it through my Denon x6400h because then my receiver will upscale all output to 4k and I want my TV to do scaling. So I want to run it direct to TV like I do my 4K disc player and another hdmi for audio to receiver.. However the Roku has only one hdmi out while my player had 2.

Why can't you setup your 6400H in bypass mode so it doesn't upscale the video? That's how I have my Denon X33000W setup.
bobby94928 and galonzo like this.
post #10048 of 11914 Old 08-18-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
... O yes, and my review of this thread shows the ultra creates wifi direct spot for the remote so even if I use ethernet I need to pull remote batteries? I saw a few workarounds but sounds like the same as my stick. I can just use my Harmony. ...
Yes, it uses wi-fi for the remote. I pulled the remote batteries and I turned off all the device connect stuff as well as I was not sure if that was another user of the stub-network.

v/r,
C-F
post #10049 of 11914 Old 08-18-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
The Roku Ultra does not support 4:4:4. It only offers 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. Also, you should be able to disable your Denon from doing any video processing. I can turn it off in my Yamaha AVRs, so I'd be surprised if the Denon didn't have that option.

The Roku Ultra upscales all non-4K material unless you switch the display resolution. It does not support outputting native resolution, so your AVR or TV wouldn't be doing any upscaling anyway. It does, however, support framerate switching.

You might be happier with an Nvidia Shield, which can switch resolutions on the fly (at least with some apps), and I believe supports 4:4:4.

I believe there are HDMI splitters that do what you want, but if you turn off video processing in your Denon it shouldn't be necessary.
Huh, I saw a detailed technical publication review(not a user) that said the default was not 4:4:4 but the option to switch to it was buried in the menu.

Not a dealer killer. I saved the link on another device and I'll have to dig it up.

As far as my receiver, perhaps that will work. The instructions were a little convoluted but think you may be right.

BJBBJB
post #10050 of 11914 Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Quote:

Why can't you setup your 6400H in bypass mode so it doesn't upscale the video? That's how I have my Denon X33000W setup.
Perhaps you are right. I know when I initially tried to keep my 1080p FTV native and 4k DTV client native I had some issues.

If so, no splitter needed.

Is this audio drop out issue from the last firmware update and many Denon receivers as widespread as it seems?

BJBBJB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page