Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 348 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9764Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10411 of 11635 Old 10-03-2018, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 2,894
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
Yeah, it should be easy. There is a "in a hotel or dorm" question that comes up, but doesn't allow anything after that. I'll try again on my next stay...just frustrating. I'm pretty tech savvy, but this has me frustrated.
The Roku directions didn't work for you?

https://support.roku.com/article/215...o-the-internet
naustin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10412 of 11635 Old 10-03-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
The Roku directions didn't work for you?

https://support.roku.com/article/215...o-the-internet
Unfortunately, no. I tried that exact method.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #10413 of 11635 Old 10-04-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
If your TV is older, the thread may not be very active anymore. Try browsing through past postings for hardware setup info. Good luck.
I got it sorted out. Thanks again.


I found a review for the same model on Best Buy's site applied the Reviews settings, then tweaked from there based on my reference discs and material. Now HDR and SDR look much nicer, they have nice color, but aren't unrealistically bright or blown out / over saturated.


With this said, it probably won't help material that was poorly done, but stuff that was done right looks good.


As a test, I tried Spider-man homecoming through the Apple TV, and the Samsung HDR demos on YouTube on the Roku, and Sony UHD player as I was testing for each connected device.


With Spider-Man Homecoming I was able to see the light and dark highlights on the classroom from the sun light and other reflections. The more subtle ones. For YouTube, I watched the nature shots with the white tiger, the snake, etc. things looked really detailed but not exaggerated



One other observation I've made, is : the detail i tend to have issues with is edge dark detail in the movies with the theatrical aspect ratios that sometimes cause the detail to fade into the black bars vs normal 16x9 content. This usually happens on HDR stuff, but not all movies.


Is there a way to zoom theatrical content to 16x9 without ruining the quality ?
MacinMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10414 of 11635 Old 10-04-2018, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 6,278
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentatYP View Post
Counterpoint (also supported by the review you linked to): Arrival's cinematography was a conscious choice to achieve a particular effect and was very successful in doing so.

I don't know what they were trying to do with Solo, but having the same cinematographer as Arrival isn't even close to being a "misfortune".
I was trying to explain to MacinMan why his copy of Solo looked the way it did. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of Solo and Arrival feel free to PM.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline  
post #10415 of 11635 Old 10-04-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I was trying to explain to MacinMan why his copy of Solo looked the way it did. If you want to discuss the pros and cons of Solo and Arrival feel free to PM.
Part of my problem was also not understanding HDR e.g. what to expect from it, and also having a few calibration settings off. I haven't tried Solo again, but I've tried other content I own both streaming, and physical media. Watching Cars 3 via VUDU with 2017 Ultra, and it seems to have had new life breathed into it after making the changes.


Basically what I did was up the color saturation 3 clicks, lowered the gamma correction 1 click, increased sharpness 10 clicks from the default, and turned off all the enhancements that tend to fake things.


I think the best way I can describe it now between SDR, and HDR is while SDR content may contain stronger shades of a color, HR takes that color and balances it out so it's more of a range and variations of said color.


When it comes to scenes like room lighting, or outdoor scenes with natural lighting, there seems to be more of a gradual transition between lights and darks vs the limited transitions.
naustin likes this.
MacinMan is offline  
post #10416 of 11635 Old 10-04-2018, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roland6465's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 1,543
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Got a weird new issue with my Streaming Stick+...

My projector previously had no problem displaying HDR with Roku set to 4K UHD 30 and frame matching on. Had it disconnected for a month waiting on a projector replacement, and now that I fire it up again, I'm only getting 4K SDR from Prime and Netflix. It came back up in auto detect, I changed it back to UHD 30Hz, and I'm only getting rec.709. If I switch it back to auto of 4K HDR 60, I get the BT.2020 colorspace, but the projector slips to 8 bit, and banding all over the place.

What have I done to offend my Roku?
roland6465 is offline  
post #10417 of 11635 Old 10-05-2018, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CANNON-FODDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield, VA
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
If your equipment is the “norm” for today you’ll likely be okay. Those defending the ROKU forget to indicate that their systems are by default the more common equipment. But if you’re outside the box even if just a little, the ROKU’s firmware doesn’t know how to handle it. My early just as 4K was being introduced display the ROKU’s firmware while the very first versions did well none of the forced on you newer versions do.

So recently purchased equipment chain, you should be okay. Have equipment that requires the ROKU’s firmware to push the envelope, likely to not go well.

Annoying the HDCP 2.2 thing is back for me. Was gone with the last two FW’s. At least for me. Others reported it with even those FW’s on the ROKU forum.
"My early just as 4K was being introduced display ... [has issues]" -- wouldn't this be the expectation? My impression is that most early adopter/first generation hardware usually involves some level of tricky device/version specific compatibility issues. So even if they had great coding masters, I would expect that hardware to have more challenges, and over time those platform/model workarounds to be excised from the mainline as they start to make the code more complex.


"Those defending the ROKU forget to indicate that their systems are by default the more common equipment." Again, I would expect the "more common equipment" to have any issues prioritized and thus more likely to be resolved, but to say that anyone who defends Roku [I read that as doesn't have an issue] is in that category "by default" is a pretty bold assertion. I mean, if I start defending Roku [guessing that is defined by reporting I do not have an issue], who will provide me with this "by default" newer more common equipment? Because I could stand for some of that rather than HDMI to a 2007 720p tv and toslink to self-powered stereo bookshelf speakers.

v/r,
C-F
CANNON-FODDER is offline  
post #10418 of 11635 Old 10-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
rjhseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I am streaming Homeland on Showtime Anytime App. I have 3 Rokus and an Apple 4K streamer. The Rokus are forcing me to watch the last 3 minutes of credits, etc. back button doesn’t work. On Apple it does. Anyone else had this problem with the Showtime app. I prefer the Roku because of a hearing issue and the ear plugs are great at night as opposed to headphones.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast

Last edited by rjhseven; 10-05-2018 at 07:55 PM.
rjhseven is offline  
post #10419 of 11635 Old 10-05-2018, 07:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 99
" if I start defending Roku [guessing that is defined by reporting I do not have an issue],"

No its defined by folks like yourself who work very hard at dismissing people like me.

Nice try of doing exactly that while the whole time trying to be so wordy as to try and convince someone, not sure who exactly, that you aren't.

Not sure what your entire post added to anyone's use of the ROKU device.

Given ROKU had working FW for devices like mine all they had to do was preserve it in their development cycles.

A very basic practice they didn't follow.

They didn't and don't attend to even basic coding practices. Nothing complicated. Basic.

Kinda funny though how you're sure you aren't defending ROKU when you that's all you did.

You probably shoulda included some of those "Just saying" type comments too.
Johnson-from-Arizona is offline  
post #10420 of 11635 Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
 
oldsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Citrus Hts., CA
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Red face Latest firmware 8.1.0 build 4159

Since installing the latest firmware for my 2016 Roku Ultra I have not experienced any audio problems. Before this update I was lucky to go 3 days without it crashing. Hope this is a sign of things to come.
ftboomer and galonzo like this.

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp, (4) Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 bookshelf (1) Debut 2.0 C6.2 center channel speaker, (4) Monoprice Monolith 24" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speaker, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Dish Network Joey, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
oldsteve is offline  
post #10421 of 11635 Old 10-06-2018, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
Since installing the latest firmware for my 2016 Roku Ultra I have not experienced any audio problems. Before this update I was lucky to go 3 days without it crashing. Hope this is a sign of things to come.

My 2016 Ultra has also been working properly with the new firmware, although I am only using it for Amazon Video -- I use my Apple TV 4K for everything else. Hopefully Roku will not "upgrade" this firmware release for quite awhile, as the likelihood of them introducing new bugs is high based on past experience.
galonzo likes this.
Scott M is offline  
post #10422 of 11635 Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CANNON-FODDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Springfield, VA
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
" if I start defending Roku [guessing that is defined by reporting I do not have an issue],"

No its defined by folks like yourself who work very hard at dismissing people like me.

Nice try of doing exactly that while the whole time trying to be so wordy as to try and convince someone, not sure who exactly, that you aren't.

Not sure what your entire post added to anyone's use of the ROKU device.

Given ROKU had working FW for devices like mine all they had to do was preserve it in their development cycles.

A very basic practice they didn't follow.

They didn't and don't attend to even basic coding practices. Nothing complicated. Basic.

Kinda funny though how you're sure you aren't defending ROKU when you that's all you did.

You probably shoulda included some of those "Just saying" type comments too.
The point of the post was to point out that some of the things you are complaining about are valid and unfortunate pain points, but some aspects are neither necessarily uncommon, nor should be unexpected. Roku no longer supports many older models of the box they sold. Windows 10 does not have drivers for older hardware, just like 8, 7, 95, etc. didn't in their time. I was fairly upset 15-20 years ago when my very expensive force feedback racing wheel was no longer supported for similar issues. Trying to get an older networked printer without native PS to work with a Chromebook is painful. And so on.

The contribution to anyone's use of the device is about the same as any complaint post -- providing a discussion about the state of the device and what someone might expect.

-- Primarily a temper to the assertion about regressions. If you have an older device that was an early version using a complex (and apparently still maturing) standard, you might expect it to have idiosyncrasies that may or may not be maintained as time marches on. Not desirable, but not necessarily different than other technologies.

-- Secondarily a temper to the assertion that anyone "defending" Roku has newer more common equipment by default. That is not binary or black/white as sometimes portrayed.

If asked, I would probably vote to allow folks to keep older versions of the firmware. And I don't disagree that it would be much better if fixing new problems, maintaining currency with an evolving standard (HDR, 4K, etc), and adding more features (probably driven more by advertisers than consumers) never introduced a bug or regression, and the workarounds for idiosyncratic hardware were maintained forever.

So, while I probably agree with more of your arguments and sentiments than you allow, I disagree with how far you take some arguments and expectations. I also don't share the desire to be labeled in an us/them framework, my thoughts on the subject are not that narrow.

To be clear:
The perception that anything there or here is designed at "dismissing people like [you]" is unfortunate, but not true.
Questioning some of your assertions is not "dismissing".
Questioning your assertions is not defending Roku.
I don't know how you define "people like [you]", but I am fairly certain it is different than any categorization I may have.
I will not apologize for trying to be clear in communication.


Good luck.
RagtopFE likes this.
CANNON-FODDER is offline  
post #10423 of 11635 Old 10-06-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 2,894
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
@Johnson-from-Arizona If I remember correctly you were having problems with a Toshiba 30Hz model. Maybe the manufacturer has created a firmware update that would help? Good luck.
galonzo likes this.
naustin is offline  
post #10424 of 11635 Old 10-08-2018, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I have cought up on the latest posts here. I was curious if anyone gets rare, but random crashes / reboots on 2016 Ultra / Premiere+ units.


While it doesn't seem to happen with my 2017 Ultra, occasionally I'll do something on the premiere+ and it will crash / reboot.


I would say this might happen once a month, once every couple months. at most. Question though, since the Premiere+ is a couple years old, and the 2017 unit doesn't seem to do this, would it be ideal to maybe replace the Premiere+ with a 2018 Ultra when released?


Watching to see if there are signs of failing hardware vs software issues.


Beyond the occasional issues above, both units work fine. so maybe it's just a software difference based on older hardware. It's not specific to the latest firmware either. 4145 had the occasional issue on the Premiere+ as well.
MacinMan is offline  
post #10425 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I have cought up on the latest posts here. I was curious if anyone gets rare, but random crashes / reboots on 2016 Ultra / Premiere+ units.


While it doesn't seem to happen with my 2017 Ultra, occasionally I'll do something on the premiere+ and it will crash / reboot.


I would say this might happen once a month, once every couple months. at most. Question though, since the Premiere+ is a couple years old, and the 2017 unit doesn't seem to do this, would it be ideal to maybe replace the Premiere+ with a 2018 Ultra when released?


Watching to see if there are signs of failing hardware vs software issues.


Beyond the occasional issues above, both units work fine. so maybe it's just a software difference based on older hardware. It's not specific to the latest firmware either. 4145 had the occasional issue on the Premiere+ as well.

That is one of the few 2016 Ultra bugs I have not experienced yet. I hate to jinx myself, but my Ultra has been solid since the last firmware update.


If you are thinking about replacing your Premiere+, you may want to look at the new Premiere, which is shipping now. It's only $40, versus the $90 or $100 price for an Ultra. I just ordered one for our master bedroom, as I needed one more Roku for a small display I installed by the bar in our basement recreation room (I need a Roku for the Comcast Xfinity app). The Premiere will replace the old non-HDR Premiere, which gets demoted to another room. The new model supports HDR10, which is all I need for the 49-inch 4K Samsung in our master bedroom. It should be here tomorrow, per my Amazon shipping notice.



I didn't think I would ever buy another 4K Roku unit after all the issues I've had with the 2016 Ultra, but that $40 price point made it the logical choice instead of spending $30 on another 1080p Roku Express for the small (24-inch) 720p display for our bar, especially since I didn't have a streaming box with HDR10 support in our master bedroom, where we could take advantage of the format. Roku is the only streaming box with the Xfinity app, which we use instead of renting additional cable convertors from Comcast at $10 per month for each TV.
galonzo likes this.
Scott M is offline  
post #10426 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
That is one of the few 2016 Ultra bugs I have not experienced yet. I hate to jinx myself, but my Ultra has been solid since the last firmware update.


If you are thinking about replacing your Premiere+, you may want to look at the new Premiere, which is shipping now. It's only $40, versus the $90 or $100 price for an Ultra. I just ordered one for our master bedroom, as I needed one more Roku for a small display I installed by the bar in our basement recreation room (I need a Roku for the Comcast Xfinity app). The Premiere will replace the old non-HDR Premiere, which gets demoted to another room. The new model supports HDR10, which is all I need for the 49-inch 4K Samsung in our master bedroom. It should be here tomorrow, per my Amazon shipping notice.



I didn't think I would ever buy another 4K Roku unit after all the issues I've had with the 2016 Ultra, but that $40 price point made it the logical choice instead of spending $30 on another 1080p Roku Express for the small (24-inch) 720p display for our bar, especially since I didn't have a streaming box with HDR10 support in our master bedroom, where we could take advantage of the format. Roku is the only streaming box with the Xfinity app, which we use instead of renting additional cable convertors from Comcast at $10 per month for each TV.
Thanks for the info Scott, I will see how the os 9 update goes first, when it drops. I'm not having any kind of real issues. Was just curious if the occasional crash reboot was a sign of things to come, or whether or not it's just a software glitch. e.g the Roku running out of memory.
MacinMan is offline  
post #10427 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RagtopFE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
That is one of the few 2016 Ultra bugs I have not experienced yet. I hate to jinx myself, but my Ultra has been solid since the last firmware update.


If you are thinking about replacing your Premiere+, you may want to look at the new Premiere, which is shipping now. It's only $40, versus the $90 or $100 price for an Ultra. I just ordered one for our master bedroom, as I needed one more Roku for a small display I installed by the bar in our basement recreation room (I need a Roku for the Comcast Xfinity app). The Premiere will replace the old non-HDR Premiere, which gets demoted to another room. The new model supports HDR10, which is all I need for the 49-inch 4K Samsung in our master bedroom. It should be here tomorrow, per my Amazon shipping notice.



I didn't think I would ever buy another 4K Roku unit after all the issues I've had with the 2016 Ultra, but that $40 price point made it the logical choice instead of spending $30 on another 1080p Roku Express for the small (24-inch) 720p display for our bar, especially since I didn't have a streaming box with HDR10 support in our master bedroom, where we could take advantage of the format. Roku is the only streaming box with the Xfinity app, which we use instead of renting additional cable convertors from Comcast at $10 per month for each TV.
Scott M
I'm looking at getting the Roku specifically to replace a Comcast cable converter on a second TV. It's my understanding that the Roku can access my DVR stuff. I would love to know your thoughts on how well it works with the Xfinity app.
Thanks

Spoiler!
RagtopFE is offline  
post #10428 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopFE View Post
Scott M
I'm looking at getting the Roku specifically to replace a Comcast cable converter on a second TV. It's my understanding that the Roku can access my DVR stuff. I would love to know your thoughts on how well it works with the Xfinity app.
Thanks

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any insight to the app's capabilities with the Xfinity DVR, as we do not have a DVR. The picture quality is fine, but changing channels is cumbersome because the Roku remote does not have any numbers. I added the TV channels I watch as favorites so I could more quickly access them from the guide, which is the only practical way I've found to change channels. I really only watch live sports via cable, so the number of TV channels I needed to make favorites wasn't too bad. My wife only watches a few channels, too, so it's simple for her, too.


We kept one additional cable convertor for our master bedroom due to the above, but use Roku boxes as convertors for our three other displays in my wife's office, the exercise room and the bar in the basement recreation room. The master bedroom also has a Roku, but we just use it to stream Amazon, Vudu, and NHL.tv. The primary convertor supplied with the service is in the main home theater setup in our family room.
Scott M is offline  
post #10429 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 275
just hooked up a new Ultra to new TV.
right now I only subscribe to Amazon prime video. question is how do you know what is 4K on Amazon prime? seems there is no search for it? Am I missing something?
I watched man in the high castle last night and was under whelmed by the video quality.

Last edited by thetman; 10-09-2018 at 08:17 AM.
thetman is offline  
post #10430 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
just hooked up a new Ultra to new TV.
right now I only subscribe to Amazon prime video. question is how do you know what is 4K on Amazon prime? seems there is no search for it? Am I missing something?
Amazon really hides their 4K content. they don't make it easy at all to locate it. You usually have to scroll way down the page before it appears. And if you select something that isn't flagged but you know is available in UHD, you won't get the UHD version. It has to be the one with the UHD banner in the corner. I can usually find it a little faster if I filter my list by Prime Only, but it's really stupid the way they bury it.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #10431 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Amazon really hides their 4K content. they don't make it easy at all to locate it. You usually have to scroll way down the page before it appears. And if you select something that isn't flagged but you know is available in UHD, you won't get the UHD version. It has to be the one with the UHD banner in the corner. I can usually find it a little faster if I filter my list by Prime Only, but it's really stupid the way they bury it.
I only saw one section when scrolling down for ultra HD and it was for all buy or rent options. Are any of the prime stuff ultra HD? I thought their original programming was. I did not see the logo for ultra HD on the episode I watched last night. very frustrating. thats one of the reasons I bought the Roku because it thought the prime stuff was 4K.

update; went into the originals menu section and scrolled down and found the Ultra HD section for TV shows. geeez. talk about making it difficult. so much for pushing the latest format to the fore-front. Hopefully Netflix 4k is easier to find. thinking about a subscription.
but so far the Ultra Roku itself seems to be working pretty good.
RagtopFE likes this.

Last edited by thetman; 10-09-2018 at 09:19 AM.
thetman is offline  
post #10432 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
I only saw one section when scrolling down for ultra HD and it was for all buy or rent options. Are any of the prime stuff ultra HD? I thought their original programming was. I did not see the logo for ultra HD on the episode I watched last night. very frustrating. thats one of the reasons I bought the Roku because it thought the prime stuff was 4K.

update; went into the originals menu section and scrolled down and found the Ultra HD section for Tb shows. geeez. tals bout making it difficult. so much for pushing the latest format to the fore-front. Hopefully Netflix 4k is easier to find. thinking about a subscription.
Yes, there is some Prime HD movies available, but not a lot. Most of the more desirable ones (at least for me) are not Prime, and you can't rent either, only purchase. There is more under the TV shows, especially their own content, such as The Grand Tour. But yeah, it's really tough to find.
RagtopFE likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #10433 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RagtopFE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 1,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 3886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Unfortunately, I cannot offer any insight to the app's capabilities with the Xfinity DVR, as we do not have a DVR. The picture quality is fine, but changing channels is cumbersome because the Roku remote does not have any numbers. I added the TV channels I watch as favorites so I could more quickly access them from the guide, which is the only practical way I've found to change channels. I really only watch live sports via cable, so the number of TV channels I needed to make favorites wasn't too bad. My wife only watches a few channels, too, so it's simple for her, too.


We kept one additional cable convertor for our master bedroom due to the above, but use Roku boxes as convertors for our three other displays in my wife's office, the exercise room and the bar in the basement recreation room. The master bedroom also has a Roku, but we just use it to stream Amazon, Vudu, and NHL.tv. The primary convertor supplied with the service is in the main home theater setup in our family room.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the channel changing issue. Good information!

Spoiler!
RagtopFE is offline  
post #10434 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Just Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I recently updated my home entertainment system to 4K HDR. I did it all at once and now as I believed that the standards were mature enough that getting all new equipment would mitigate any issues with compatibility. The equipment includes the subject Roku 4K Ultra for streaming, an Onkyo RZ820 for audio and HDMI switching, a Vizio P65-F1 for viewing, a Sony X700 for UHD disks and updated my media PC with an HDMI 2/HDCP 2.2 graphics card (Nvidia 1050). I have lots and lots of 18gb cables from Monoprice and Amazon. All equipment is updated with the latest firmware.

The Sony plays 4K HDR 60fps flawlessly, the HTPC plays 4K HDR 60fps flawlessly. The Roku, not so much.

With the Roku, I get periodic video dropouts and sometimes audio dropouts, but not necessarily at the same time. I also get the occasional screen that comes up briefly telling me I have an HDCP 2.2 issue and check my cables or something to that effect. I have swapped out the cable with multiple cables and checked and rechecked cable seating. I have even used the known working cable from the Sony with no improvement. The only thing that stops the problem is to manually set the Roku to 4K HDR 30fps. The problem with this is that Netflix only does HDR at 60fps.

From the reading I have done on this thread, I was under the impression that these problems were with last years Ultras and that they were fixed with a firmware update. I am wondering if I have a compatibility problem between the Onkyo and the Roku or do I have a defective Roku?
Just Mark is offline  
post #10435 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 01:34 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,359
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Mark View Post
I recently updated my home entertainment system to 4K HDR. I did it all at once and now as I believed that the standards were mature enough that getting all new equipment would mitigate any issues with compatibility. The equipment includes the subject Roku 4K Ultra for streaming, an Onkyo RZ820 for audio and HDMI switching, a Vizio P65-F1 for viewing, a Sony X700 for UHD disks and updated my media PC with an HDMI 2/HDCP 2.2 graphics card (Nvidia 1050). I have lots and lots of 18gb cables from Monoprice and Amazon. All equipment is updated with the latest firmware.

The Sony plays 4K HDR 60fps flawlessly, the HTPC plays 4K HDR 60fps flawlessly. The Roku, not so much.

With the Roku, I get periodic video dropouts and sometimes audio dropouts, but not necessarily at the same time. I also get the occasional screen that comes up briefly telling me I have an HDCP 2.2 issue and check my cables or something to that effect. I have swapped out the cable with multiple cables and checked and rechecked cable seating. I have even used the known working cable from the Sony with no improvement. The only thing that stops the problem is to manually set the Roku to 4K HDR 30fps. The problem with this is that Netflix only does HDR at 60fps.

From the reading I have done on this thread, I was under the impression that these problems were with last years Ultras and that they were fixed with a firmware update. I am wondering if I have a compatibility problem between the Onkyo and the Roku or do I have a defective Roku?
A quick checklist you may have already made...

- check to see if the roku has the latest software. (4195 i think)

- check to make sure you have good wifi speed, better yet use wired Ethernet connection.

- try switching hdmi cables. I trust the monoprice brand, but would be suspect of amazon cables without knowing what you got from them.

- what is your longest hdmi cable run? If a run is beyond 20' it has to be a good cable, and here is where i have had success with monoprice.

Hang in there, you'll get it sorted out.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #10436 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Just Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thank you for the input Bytehoven.

When I check, the Ultra tells me it has the latest firmware.

It is wired Ethernet for network access.

I have tried at least 6 Monoprice cables. 3 three foot cables and 3 six foot cables. As well as the same amount of Amazon Basics cables.

The longest HDMI cable is 10 feet between the Receiver and the Display. This is a Monoprice cable right now but it was an Amazon Basics cable. Both cables work fine with everything but the Roku.

I have also swapped to the Roku and the X700 HDMI inputs on the receiver. The X700 works on both HDMI inputs and the Roku has the same problem on both.

What have I forgotten to check?
Just Mark is offline  
post #10437 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 01:57 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,359
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Mark View Post
Thank you for the input Bytehoven.

When I check, the Ultra tells me it has the latest firmware.

It is wired Ethernet for network access.

I have tried at least 6 Monoprice cables. 3 three foot cables and 3 six foot cables. As well as the same amount of Amazon Basics cables.

The longest HDMI cable is 10 feet between the Receiver and the Display. This is a Monoprice cable right now but it was an Amazon Basics cable. Both cables work fine with evedrything but the Roku.

I have also swapped to the Roku and the X700 HDMI inputs on the receiver. The X700 works on both HDMI inputs and the Roku has the same problem on both.

What have I forgotten to check?
Try switching the roku to UHD (no HDR) or 1080 output and see if issues continue.

Are you using pass thru on the receiver?
Bytehoven is offline  
post #10438 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,121
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I also suggest changing the chroma subsampling. If it's on 4:2:2, change it to 4:2:0, or vice versa. Sometimes it makes a difference.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #10439 of 11635 Old 10-09-2018, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Mark View Post
I also get the occasional screen that comes up briefly telling me I have an HDCP 2.2 issue and check my cables or something to that effect.

I've been getting this screen for a couple of months, as long as it goes away quickly you can safely ignore it.
rjhseven likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #10440 of 11635 Old 10-10-2018, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
just hooked up a new Ultra to new TV.
right now I only subscribe to Amazon prime video. question is how do you know what is 4K on Amazon prime? seems there is no search for it? Am I missing something?
I watched man in the high castle last night and was under whelmed by the video quality.

Amazon's Prime Video interface is terrible, especially with regards to finding 4K/UHD content. I use this site to find the UHD program I want, and then add it to my Amazon watch list. It's ridiculous when you have to resort to a third party website to find content.
gwsat, galonzo and Seryl like this.
Scott M is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off