Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 350 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9691Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10471 of 11520 Old 10-16-2018, 11:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Salt Lake City, Ut.
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I'm curious to know if either the Roku Premiere + or the Ultra will pass HLG HDR. Anyone have any experience to offer so I can purchase the better of the two units.
Kevnmin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10472 of 11520 Old 10-16-2018, 02:17 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,312
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked: 5695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
I'm curious to know if either the Roku Premiere + or the Ultra will pass HLG HDR. Anyone have any experience to offer so I can purchase the better of the two units.
I never tried any of my HLG test files with my Rokus. I'll need to try them with my 2016 Roku Ultra with my Sony UHD TV.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--43TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #10473 of 11520 Old 10-16-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,888
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I never tried any of my HLG test files with my Rokus. I'll need to try them with my 2016 Roku Ultra with my Sony UHD TV.
I do not believe Roku passes HLG. I have tried. It only does HDR 10. The new ones that just came out I don't know though. I have the last generation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
aaronwt likes this.
Hetfieldjames is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10474 of 11520 Old 10-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Salt Lake City, Ut.
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I never tried any of my HLG test files with my Rokus. I'll need to try them with my 2016 Roku Ultra with my Sony UHD TV.
Yes, do let me know. My Denon X6200 just recently had the firmware updated to pass HLG and Dolby Vision, so making sense now to add the next component in the chain.

Sony 75X940E, Denon X6200w, Sony X700, Roku Ultra, MiniDSP 2x4HD
Parasound (2x)HCA-855a, HCA-750a, Sony ES4300
Mission 705a L&R, dual 70c3 C, 703 SL&SR, 705 BL&BR, (4x)Yamaha NSIC800 Atmos
LFE- Front: M&K MX-200 & MX-150THX; Rear: M&K V-75 & Klipsch RW-12
ULF- 4xJBL Mini-riser BOSS + (2x)Aura AST-2B-4 shakers
Kevnmin is offline  
post #10475 of 11520 Old 10-16-2018, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I know that my Sony TV supports HLG, as well as HDR10, but how would I know which one i'm getting? The badge on picture settings simply says HDR, when HDR mode is active. Also while I don't consider it a big deal personally, Sony doesn't give any other visual indication other then the screen flash on mode change. So, all I have to go by is the badge under the picture settins for the selected input.
MacinMan is offline  
post #10476 of 11520 Old 10-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Member
 
LG8600User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I know that my Sony TV supports HLG, as well as HDR10, but how would I know which one i'm getting? The badge on picture settings simply says HDR, when HDR mode is active. Also while I don't consider it a big deal personally, Sony doesn't give any other visual indication other then the screen flash on mode change. So, all I have to go by is the badge under the picture settins for the selected input.
LG TVs will display HDR-version specific badges: "HDR" for HDR10, "Dolby Vision" for same, "HLG HDR" for same, etc.

If you want to test HLG, open the YouTube app, search for HLG HDR, play the "TravelXP: HDR HLG UHD 4K" video. If you get the HDR badge, its working (you can also check the "more options"/"stats for nerds" icon to verify).
LG8600User is offline  
post #10477 of 11520 Old 10-16-2018, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
LG TVs will display HDR-version specific badges: "HDR" for HDR10, "Dolby Vision" for same, "HLG HDR" for same, etc.

If you want to test HLG, open the YouTube app, search for HLG HDR, play the "TravelXP: HDR HLG UHD 4K" video. If you get the HDR badge, its working (you can also check the "more options"/"stats for nerds" icon to verify).
Am familiar with LG sets from reviews and seeing other people's experiences, while I've never owned one personally. For best results, which YouTube app should I use? the one on the Roku, or the Sony UHD player ?


The TV has the android app built in, but for whatever reason, the built in one doesn't do HDR. So, I only really have two choices, the Roku channel, or Sony.
MacinMan is offline  
post #10478 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 02:36 AM
Member
 
LG8600User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Am familiar with LG sets from reviews and seeing other people's experiences, while I've never owned one personally. For best results, which YouTube app should I use? the one on the Roku, or the Sony UHD player ?


The TV has the android app built in, but for whatever reason, the built in one doesn't do HDR. So, I only really have two choices, the Roku channel, or Sony.
I would use it as a test of any HDR-capable device, to both test the YT apps HDR10 support, and/or to test the HLG support.

Search for HDR video and/or HLG video (always make sure to check the playback tags both in the TV and in the YT banner, as well as stats for nerds to verify source/playback as there are plenty of videos that claim to be HDR but in fact, are not)

From my testing:
Roku YT: HDR10
LG TV YT: HDR10, HLG
XB1X YT: no HDR

As you can see, the Roku YT app supports HD10 but not HLG.
LG8600User is offline  
post #10479 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG8600User View Post
I would use it as a test of any HDR-capable device, to both test the YT apps HDR10 support, and/or to test the HLG support.

Search for HDR video and/or HLG video (always make sure to check the playback tags both in the TV and in the YT banner, as well as stats for nerds to verify source/playback as there are plenty of videos that claim to be HDR but in fact, are not)

From my testing:
Roku YT: HDR10
LG TV YT: HDR10, HLG
XB1X YT: no HDR

As you can see, the Roku YT app supports HD10 but not HLG.
TravelXP played in HDR with the Sony UBP-X700's YouTube app. Stats for Nerds said HLG under color. The Sony HDR badge was lit in picture settings. The only problem I noticed with that video is there were a couple places it stuttered and pixelated, but for the most part it played fine.


I tried a Panasonic video that also had HLG in the name, and the thumbnail is a flower and bee, and the color for that one said bt2020, no HLG listed, but also played in HDR. also codec details on the TravelXP video were vp9.2.
MacinMan is offline  
post #10480 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Scott M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Looks like I'll have to keep my eye out for Hulu's 5.1 adoption progress. I came here to see if there were any updates on the OS 9 update roll out. I think the new hardware is shipping now, isn't it ?

I received my new Roku Premiere last week through Amazon, so at least that model is shipping. The Premiere works fine attached to the Samsung MU8000 in our bedroom. The included HDMI cable even passed 4K + HDR10 @ 60Hz with no issues.
Scott M is offline  
post #10481 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I received my new Roku Premiere last week through Amazon, so at least that model is shipping. The Premiere works fine attached to the Samsung MU8000 in our bedroom. The included HDMI cable even passed 4K + HDR10 @ 60Hz with no issues.
Good news Scott. I saw the new units at Walmart, so will give it time and see if I want one later on.
MacinMan is offline  
post #10482 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
I'm curious to know if either the Roku Premiere + or the Ultra will pass HLG HDR. Anyone have any experience to offer so I can purchase the better of the two units.
I recall seeing on the Roku forums that someone in the UK was successful with HLG with a specific British channel. Can't remember the Roku player or the channel, sorry. I don't think the Roku firmware was specific to British boxes, so it's possible. But it also may take a channel that is configured correctly for it. And for that user, it was a Great Britain only channel.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #10483 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,049
Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
I'm curious to know if either the Roku Premiere + or the Ultra will pass HLG HDR. Anyone have any experience to offer so I can purchase the better of the two units.
I never tried any of my HLG test files with my Rokus. I'll need to try them with my 2016 Roku Ultra with my Sony UHD TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I do not believe Roku passes HLG. I have tried. It only does HDR 10. The new ones that just came out I don't know though. I have the last generation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
Yes, do let me know. My Denon X6200 just recently had the firmware updated to pass HLG and Dolby Vision, so making sense now to add the next component in the chain.
Confirmed no HLG on my 2016 P+, used this video to test, only got 4K SDR:

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
post #10484 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Salt Lake City, Ut.
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Confirmed no HLG on my 2016 P+, used this video to test, only got 4K SDR:
https://youtu.be/KE_-OUmEPUA
Bummer news with the lack of HLG. I guess that leads to a newer Roku not yet released. One would think their engineers would have this in the works.

I read a post somewhere back that the streaming stick + has same processor as the ultra. Is the only difference between the two the ethernet pord and usb/micro slots? What about the wifi of the two units, seems to me the shear size of the ultra would fetch a better wireless signal from the router. Or am I misplaced in thinking that way?

Sony 75X940E, Denon X6200w, Sony X700, Roku Ultra, MiniDSP 2x4HD
Parasound (2x)HCA-855a, HCA-750a, Sony ES4300
Mission 705a L&R, dual 70c3 C, 703 SL&SR, 705 BL&BR, (4x)Yamaha NSIC800 Atmos
LFE- Front: M&K MX-200 & MX-150THX; Rear: M&K V-75 & Klipsch RW-12
ULF- 4xJBL Mini-riser BOSS + (2x)Aura AST-2B-4 shakers
Kevnmin is offline  
post #10485 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
Bummer news with the lack of HLG. I guess that leads to a newer Roku not yet released. One would think their engineers would have this in the works.

I read a post somewhere back that the streaming stick + has same processor as the ultra. Is the only difference between the two the ethernet pord and usb/micro slots? What about the wifi of the two units, seems to me the shear size of the ultra would fetch a better wireless signal from the router. Or am I misplaced in thinking that way?
I understood that the Stick + actually has the best wireless, because it uses the power cord as an antenna, so with the longer length it can probably be better tuned. Both other than that, I believe you are correct that the Ultra and Stick + are basically the same player.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #10486 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 2,851
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
Bummer news with the lack of HLG. I guess that leads to a newer Roku not yet released. One would think their engineers would have this in the works.

I read a post somewhere back that the streaming stick + has same processor as the ultra. Is the only difference between the two the ethernet pord and usb/micro slots? What about the wifi of the two units, seems to me the shear size of the ultra would fetch a better wireless signal from the router. Or am I misplaced in thinking that way?
Check features for yourself on the Roku site. https://www.roku.com/products/compare Google is your friend

In terms of HLG, its not a big feature yet since few streaming services offer it on real content and its a minor firmware add it on displays & streamers.

The new Amazon Fire 4K lists it as a supported format along with HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. The major shortcoming with AFTV4K is no YouTube or Vudu.
galonzo likes this.
naustin is offline  
post #10487 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 12:28 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,312
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked: 5695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
Bummer news with the lack of HLG. I guess that leads to a newer Roku not yet released. One would think their engineers would have this in the works.

I read a post somewhere back that the streaming stick + has same processor as the ultra. Is the only difference between the two the ethernet pord and usb/micro slots? What about the wifi of the two units, seems to me the shear size of the ultra would fetch a better wireless signal from the router. Or am I misplaced in thinking that way?
I get the same 130mbps wireless speeds from my Streaming Stick + and 2016 Ultra. I only use wireless on my Ultra because it is faster than its 100BT ethernet connection.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--43TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #10488 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 12:30 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,312
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked: 5695
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Check features for yourself on the Roku site. https://www.roku.com/products/compare Google is your friend

In terms of HLG, its not a big feature yet since few streaming services offer it on real content and its a minor firmware add it on displays & streamers.

The new Amazon Fire 4K lists it as a supported format along with HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. The major shortcoming with AFTV4K is no YouTube or Vudu.
HLG HDR was designed for broadcast content. That will be where is is primarily used.And here in the US, HLG will come with the ATSC 3.0 rollout at some point.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
rdgcss, MacinMan and naustin like this.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--43TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #10489 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Salt Lake City, Ut.
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I get the same 130mbps wireless speeds from my Streaming Stick + and 2016 Ultra. I only use wireless on my Ultra because it is faster than its 100BT ethernet connection.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
aaronwt,
I see in your signature line, you've got the Sony UBP-X800 blu ray player. I do as well. I've been pleased with the streaming from it, but are the Roku's that much better?
Kevnmin is offline  
post #10490 of 11520 Old 10-17-2018, 01:18 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,312
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked: 5695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
aaronwt,
I see in your signature line, you've got the Sony UBP-X800 blu ray player. I do as well. I've been pleased with the streaming from it, but are the Roku's that much better?
For me it depends on the streaming app the device has. Since they are not all the same. And of course some features are not available on some devices.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--43TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #10491 of 11520 Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Hey guys, this video popped up for me today on YouTube under subscriptions.
I really like the HDR coloring on this de3mo, and hope others will as well:
Rudy1, aaronwt and RagtopFE like this.
MacinMan is offline  
post #10492 of 11520 Old 10-19-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I just switched to the YouTube channel on my Sharp Roku TV to look at it, and it is indeed impressive. Since I use it as a computer monitor, I'm only sitting about 3' away from a 43" screen.

But I did notice a very slight stutter in the video, not completely smooth. Of course, it might be something about streaming from YT. So I switched to the Roku Media Player and watched a NASA HDR demo clip I have downloaded to compare. It played butter smooth, with no hint of stutter. So, I don't think what I saw was from the Roku. I believe it's either the YT channel, or just an artifact from online streaming. Not sure I would have even noticed if I wasn't sitting so close.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #10493 of 11520 Old 10-20-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I just switched to the YouTube channel on my Sharp Roku TV to look at it, and it is indeed impressive. Since I use it as a computer monitor, I'm only sitting about 3' away from a 43" screen.

But I did notice a very slight stutter in the video, not completely smooth. Of course, it might be something about streaming from YT. So I switched to the Roku Media Player and watched a NASA HDR demo clip I have downloaded to compare. It played butter smooth, with no hint of stutter. So, I don't think what I saw was from the Roku. I believe it's either the YT channel, or just an artifact from online streaming. Not sure I would have even noticed if I wasn't sitting so close.
It seems like it's also the quality of the upload and encode. I've seen good videos, and then some that pixelate all over the place I confirmed this with a TravelXP video. It pixelated badly in the beginning, played most of the way and pixelated and quit at the end.


I thought it was maybe an issue with the Sony's YT app, but it was the actual video, as it did it on any source of YT.


If you're talking about the video I posted, I didn't notice any issues, but I have it set to switch to 24p on network content if that's what the content is mastered in.
MacinMan is offline  
post #10494 of 11520 Old 10-20-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atc98092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Washington (the state)
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I can't remember if the Sharp has a setting for framerate matching. The TVs don't always have the same settings as the players. I'll check and if it has it I'll see if that makes any difference. With my Ultra, I have to leave that setting disabled to watch any of my local H.262 content. They play perfectly with it off, but has noticeable stuttering with auto-framerate set to enabled.

The video I was referring to was the one on the HDR channel. If you posted it, cool!

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
atc98092 is offline  
post #10495 of 11520 Old 10-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 95
HLG probably not a high priority for anyone. Any device not having it is hardly a negative. I mean after all the Apple TV 4K can't fly at mach 1 either. So boo Apple TV 4k...

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdr10-vs-d...rmats-compare/
Johnson-from-Arizona is offline  
post #10496 of 11520 Old 10-21-2018, 06:14 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,312
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked: 5695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
HLG probably not a high priority for anyone. Any device not having it is hardly a negative. I mean after all the Apple TV 4K can't fly at mach 1 either. So boo Apple TV 4k...

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdr10-vs-d...rmats-compare/
Right now HLG is more popular in Europe. They have more content available there. Although I think the BBC is part of that reason. Once ATSC 3.0 gets rolling here, HLG will start to be more prevalent.

I know my Sony TV is HLG capable!e but my USA TCL TV is not. But the TVs that TCL sell in Europe are supposed to be HLG capable. Although they also don't use the Roku interface there like they do in North America.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--43TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #10497 of 11520 Old 10-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 95
"Once ATSC 3.0 gets rolling here, HLG will start to be more prevalent."

Could be but each day that goes by as people buy new TV's the need to be backward compatible fades. As it fades the money companies can make developing it and managing HLG fades. Money fades, well some of us still have VCR's I guess.
Johnson-from-Arizona is offline  
post #10498 of 11520 Old 10-21-2018, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 5,552
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
"Once ATSC 3.0 gets rolling here, HLG will start to be more prevalent."

Could be but each day that goes by as people buy new TV's the need to be backward compatible fades. As it fades the money companies can make developing it and managing HLG fades. Money fades, well some of us still have VCR's I guess.
My 2016 Vizio is HLG compatible. It doesn’t have a tuner in it but there will be external ATSC 3.0 tuners available just like they became available when digital OTA started.
aaronwt likes this.

Bobby 

bobby94928 is offline  
post #10499 of 11520 Old 10-21-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
My 2016 Vizio is HLG compatible. It doesn’t have a tuner in it but there will be external ATSC 3.0 tuners available just like they became available when digital OTA started.
What about that HomeRun box, It seems to be a popular network tuner box. Will something like that support HLG, when it comes out with the updates? @atc98092 : yes I posted the video about panasonic from the HDR channel. It popped up on my notifications of new videos. I really liked the presentation so passed it on here.
MacinMan is offline  
post #10500 of 11520 Old 10-23-2018, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wilbur_the_goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,259
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 227
FWIW - All the DirecTV HDR contact is HLG HDR. Looks great.
naustin likes this.
wilbur_the_goose is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off