Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 359 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9681Likes

post #10741 of 11497 Old 11-16-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I guess I'd have to say that DV is less consistent in its look. Sometimes its very dark vs. the HDR10 version. Perhaps it is intended to be that way and may be considered more "correct", but I don't prefer it. Also, at least on my system, the Roku is displaying all video with a somewhat different contrast or brightness or gamma (or some combination thereof) vs. my ATV4K. I just like how it looks. I go back and forth between the two streamers even though my original plan was to get rid of my Ultra.
Yes, it is the nature of Dolby Vision and soon HDR10+ where the metadata is constantly changing from scene to scene unlike HDR10 with non changing/static metadata.

Edit: https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolb...u-need-to-know
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by naustin; 11-16-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 11497 Old 11-16-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Here is a new HDR video from the HDR Channel that popped up today. For anyone wanting to look at HDR content, this looks really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeSR7pFSob4
Thanks for sharing, this looks very nice!
aaronwt likes this.

lujan
505 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #10743 of 11497 Old 11-16-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Thanks for sharing, this looks very nice!
I thought so too, a good balance between saturation and life like colors and contrast.
aaronwt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10744 of 11497 Old 11-16-2018, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I keep seeing this pop up, and thought I would share it here for anyone with a Mac, who wants to use mirroring with their Roku. While the Roku doesn't support mirroring from a mac natively, this is a fairly cheap solution to enable it. I haven't tried it personally, since it's a feature I wouldn't regularly use, but give it a look, and see if it works for anyone here. https://www.airbeam.tv/mirror-your-m.../#.WWZg_MaZPUY
post #10745 of 11497 Old 11-17-2018, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought so too, a good balance between saturation and life like colors and contrast.
The only thing I noticed was that HDR didn't kick in. I then tried another one label as HDR and it worked for that one. I tested on the LG UHD player which does youtube HDR. Did you get HDR on this one from the Roku?

lujan
505 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #10746 of 11497 Old 11-17-2018, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only thing I noticed was that HDR didn't kick in. I then tried another one label as HDR and it worked for that one. I tested on the LG UHD player which does youtube HDR. Did you get HDR on this one from the Roku?
Yes, HDR has been quite reliable for me lately with YouTube on Roku, even on a HDR @ 30 port with the latest firmware. My TV can do full HDR @60, but the ports have other devices.

I use the Sony player's YouTube app for HLG HDR, but HDR10, should work on the Roku. Why that video didn't trigger for you could be anything. The HDR Channel is all genuine HDR content, not re-uploaded videos named HDR.
post #10747 of 11497 Old 11-17-2018, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Thanks, kinda what I am finding out. I can use my Panny 820 for Netflix (non DV) and it works great. Their Amazon app is wonky so I'd like something else for Amazon and Vudu that supports hz and does not force DV. I think a Roku and the 820 covers both. Or I could just use the Roku for Amazon, Netflix and Vudu...

I am using one of the new 4K HDR10 Premiere models on the Samsung 4K display in our bedroom. It's been very stable in a very simple setup -- the Roku is connected directly to the display, as there is no sound system in that room. At $40 (including a certified HDMI cable), the new Premiere is quite a bargain if you don't need Dolby Vision support. I do not use Netflix, but it works fine with Amazon, Vudu and NHL.tv -- the only apps I have streamed to it so far.
galonzo likes this.
post #10748 of 11497 Old 11-17-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, HDR has been quite reliable for me lately with YouTube on Roku, even on a HDR @ 30 port with the latest firmware. My TV can do full HDR @60, but the ports have other devices.

I use the Sony player's YouTube app for HLG HDR, but HDR10, should work on the Roku. Why that video didn't trigger for you could be anything. The HDR Channel is all genuine HDR content, not re-uploaded videos named HDR.
Yes, it's working on the Roku. I guess I should have tried that first but had forgotten that YouTube HDR is now working with the Roku and that's why I tried the LG UHD player first.

EDIT: I'm going to have company at my house for the holidays and I would love to be able to play something like this but I can't find anything doing a search for 4k HDR Aquarium? It seems there are quite a few 4k Aquarium screensavers or demos but none that are 4k and HDR? Anyone know of some?

lujan
505 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD

Last edited by lujan; 11-17-2018 at 09:04 AM.
post #10749 of 11497 Old 11-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Greetings! I am considering purchasing a Roku Ultra for the bedroom. Apologies if this has been previously answered, but I didn't see this specifically asked. Will this unit recognize a HDD attached to a Zapitti media player/server (DLNA certified) on the same network? If so will the Roku stream mkv video files from the HDD? Hope this makes sense. Thank-you!
post #10750 of 11497 Old 11-17-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage01 View Post
Greetings! I am considering purchasing a Roku Ultra for the bedroom. Apologies if this has been previously answered, but I didn't see this specifically asked. Will this unit recognize a HDD attached to a Zapitti media player/server (DLNA certified) on the same network? If so will the Roku stream mkv video files from the HDD? Hope this makes sense. Thank-you!
Can a Roku play them directly from the hard drive connected to an external device? No. Will it connect to and play from a DLNA server? Absolutely, using Roku Media Player. The one caveat is that the video must be in a Roku supported container and use Roku supported audio and video codecs, or the DLNA server will have to transcode the files into a supported format. MKV is a supported container, but the codecs within the container may or may not be supported. For the Ultra, the video has to be in H.262 (MPEG2), H.264, H.265 or MP4 format. The audio has to be AAC or AC3 (Dolby Digital). Roku will not bitstream the HD audio codecs (Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA). Roku also supports the .TS, .MOV and .MP4 container.

This page https://support.roku.com/article/208...sic-and-photos provides more information, but it is missing the info about H.262 and the .TS container.
brotony and savage01 like this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.

Last edited by atc98092; 11-17-2018 at 02:14 PM.
post #10751 of 11497 Old 11-17-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, it's working on the Roku. I guess I should have tried that first but had forgotten that YouTube HDR is now working with the Roku and that's why I tried the LG UHD player first.

EDIT: I'm going to have company at my house for the holidays and I would love to be able to play something like this but I can't find anything doing a search for 4k HDR Aquarium? It seems there are quite a few 4k Aquarium screensavers or demos but none that are 4k and HDR? Anyone know of some?
I'll do some digging around, you might want to install the NASA 4k HDR channel for Roku it displays space images in HDR. It's free too.

It's called: "NASA TV UHD" You open it, it asks you if your TV supports HDR, then you can choose the Live stream.
post #10752 of 11497 Old 11-17-2018, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Search on "Real 4K HDR 60fps: Panasonic Aquarium in HDR"

Is that what you're looking for?
post #10753 of 11497 Old 11-17-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Search on "Real 4K HDR 60fps: Panasonic Aquarium in HDR"

Is that what you're looking for?
I was just looking at that. That video looks gorgeous on my Sony A9F.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #10754 of 11497 Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Folks on ROKU's forum are pointing out the roll out of announced FW 8.2 and 9.0 are taking a long time. The ROKU fanboys are praising ROKU for allowing a roll out of the FW to go slowly so the first users can identify bugs, ROKU can address them before the FW is installed on every device.

It is amazing to me people view customers being forced to be unpaid beta testers as a good thing.

It is amazing to me THAT is viewed more positively than ROKU releasing bug free firmware.
post #10755 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll do some digging around, you might want to install the NASA 4k HDR channel for Roku it displays space images in HDR. It's free too.

It's called: "NASA TV UHD" You open it, it asks you if your TV supports HDR, then you can choose the Live stream.
Thanks, I installed it and will check it out soon.

lujan
505 Ultra HD
720 HD
4 SD
post #10756 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Can a Roku play them directly from the hard drive connected to an external device? No. Will it connect to and play from a DLNA server? Absolutely, using Roku Media Player. The one caveat is that the video must be in a Roku supported container and use Roku supported audio and video codecs, or the DLNA server will have to transcode the files into a supported format. MKV is a supported container, but the codecs within the container may or may not be supported. For the Ultra, the video has to be in H.262 (MPEG2), H.264, H.265 or MP4 format. The audio has to be AAC or AC3 (Dolby Digital). Roku will not bitstream the HD audio codecs (Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA). Roku also supports the .TS, .MOV and .MP4 container.

This page https://support.roku.com/article/208...sic-and-photos provides more information, but it is missing the info about H.262 and the .TS container.
Thank-you so much for the quick and very thorough reply! Extremely helpful!
post #10757 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are you sure about the MPEG2? The reason I ask is that it's not listed on the specs and all the discussion on PLEX says it's not supported.
I have a PLEX server and it needs to transcode liveTV (MPEG2) to H.264 in order to play on the ROKU. It seems to be "common knowledge" that only the NVidea Shield and a couple native Android boxes support MPEG2.

I was hoping that would change with the patent expiration.

TIA.

Quote:

post #10758 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you sure about the MPEG2? The reason I ask is that it's not listed on the specs and all the discussion on PLEX says it's not supported.
I have a PLEX server and it needs to transcode liveTV (MPEG2) to H.264 in order to play on the ROKU. It seems to be "common knowledge" that only the NVidea Shield and a couple native Android boxes support MPEG2.

I was hoping that would change with the patent expiration.

TIA.
Yes, it's not an announced supported codec. But if you go to the Help icon in Roku Media Player and scroll to the last page, it lists the supported codecs. H262 is supported on my Ultra 4640, and I'm reasonably certain the 4660 does as well. My Roku 4 and Stick do not support it. I expect it's only supported by the latest models, and maybe only the Ultra, but since I don't have any of those other players I can't say from experience. And don't forget that every Roku TV supports MPEG2, since that's the US TV broadcast standard.

I watch MPEG2 video with my Ultra all the time without transcoding, but I can't enable matching framerate. If it's enabled, the video is choppy, or perhaps stutter is a better description. But both Dolby Digital and DTS will passthrough to my AVR without a problem. Naturally, I have to transcode the HD audio formats.

Yes, I don't have to transcode anything on my Shield. MPEG2, VC-1, H264/265, HDR, no problems with any of them.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10759 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's been reported on the ROKU forums as well and according to ROKU employees is false but I don't have a 4640, only 4660.

I don't want to start any kind of argument but the officially reported position (again on the ROKU forums by ROKU reps) is that no ROKU external device support MPEG2 (Outside of a "native ROKU TV" for obvious reasons). One guy is quite vocal about it both there and on the PLEX forums but to date I've not seen any successful reports of sending a MPEG2 stream to an external ROKU device.

Suggest you go to this forum and search for MPEG2. A lot of requests to add and a lot of claims but no declaration of actual support (outside of the native TVs).

https://forums.roku.com/search.php?s...5D=28&start=45

Again, don't shoot the messenger. I'd love to see them add MPEG2 now that the license is expired.

Quote:
Yes, it's not an announced supported codec. But if you go to the Help icon in Roku Media Player and scroll to the last page, it lists the supported codecs. H262 is supported on my Ultra 4640, and I'm reasonably certain the 4660 does as well. My Roku 4 and Stick do not support it. I expect it's only supported by the latest models, and maybe only the Ultra, but since I don't have any of those other players I can't say from experience. And don't forget that every Roku TV supports MPEG2, since that's the US TV broadcast standard.

I watch MPEG2 video with my Ultra all the time without transcoding, but I can't enable matching framerate. If it's enabled, the video is choppy, or perhaps stutter is a better description. But both Dolby Digital and DTS will passthrough to my AVR without a problem. Naturally, I have to transcode the HD audio formats.

Yes, I don't have to transcode anything on my Shield. MPEG2, VC-1, H264/265, HDR, no problems with any of them.
post #10760 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, the Roku forum is wrong. The Ultra 4640 absolutely supports MPEG-2.Some Roku staff might not be aware of it. Yes, it is limited to only a few boxes, and since I only have one model that works I can't confirm any others. Roku has always had unannounced support for things here and there. For example, nowhere on the Roku web site does it mention that the .TS container is supported, but again I can confirm that .TS and .M2TS containers will play without requiring transcoding. In fact, my DLNA server transcodes into the .TS container for all non-compatible formats. So I can confirm the .TS container support for every Roku player I've ever owned, which includes the 2 XS, 4, Ultra, Stick and two different model TVs.

No issues with the messenger here. It's frustrating with Roku not being completely up front about their media support. I've been using Roku for over 6 years, and have a good relationship with them providing me support when I was creating the first Roku profiles for Serviio. Some stuff I've been provided under a Non Disclosure Agreement, but the MPEG2 support I discovered on my own. Roku has never acknowledged it, but they've told me I can talk about things I discover on my own, and this was one of them.

I too would like them to offer MPEG-2 support across the board, now that the patents have expired. Them adding it to the Ultra is the first indication that they might actually be doing it. But I can also see them deciding not to offer it on older players, as an enticement to upgrade to a new player. But that requires them to acknowledge the support in the first place. All you can get out of Roku is to check the help pages in RMP and see what it lists for supported codecs. Take a look on your 4660, and I'll bet it shows H.262 as a supported codec. I overlooked it myself the first couple of times I checked.

Dan
post #10761 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

But its not on the 4660 and newer. That I can assure you.
Quote:
Them adding it to the Ultra is the first indication that they might actually be doing it. But I can also see them deciding not to offer it on older players, as an enticement to upgrade to a new player. But that requires them to acknowledge the support in the first place. All you can get out of Roku is to check the help pages in RMP and see what it lists for supported codecs. Take a look on your 4660, and I'll bet it shows H.262 as a supported codec. I overlooked it myself the first couple of times I checked.
post #10762 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Take a look on your 4660, and I'll bet it shows H.262 as a supported codec. I overlooked it myself the first couple of times I checked.
On my Ultra 4660RW still running 8.1.0 4145-46, Help indicates support for H.262, at least for the last period of time.
post #10763 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
On my Ultra 4660RW still running 8.1.0 4145-46, Help indicates support for H.262, at least for the last period of time.
That's what I expected. I doubt it will be withdrawn, unless they discover some issue with it. But I have 9.0 on my Ultra and it still supports H.262. Just used it yesterday to watch something, so I know it's working. But like I said, native framerate has to be turned off or the video stutters.

Dan
post #10764 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If it doesn't advertise it to the clients it's not there. Can you point me to me an app you can add to the ROKU that can receive and process a native MPEG2 stream?

And not knowing which "help screen" you are referring to, it could be a generic list which would include MPEG2 since the ROKU TV supports it but that is the only officially supported device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Last edited by rakstr; 11-18-2018 at 12:56 PM.
post #10765 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If it doesn't advertise it to the clients it's not there. Can you point me to me an app you can add to the ROKU that can receive and process a native MPEG2 stream?
The Roku Media Player is the only one I know that will play H.262 without transcoding, and again that's apparently only on the Ultra. Plex and Chaneru will transcode, although I've never tried forcing Plex into Direct Play with H.262 content. It might work, maybe.

But again, check the Help panel in RMP, and the Supported Files panel lists the supported codecs. It should say H.262, since it's there for JoeKustra, and he has a 4660. On mine, the line says:
Video(H.264/262/265HVEC) - MKV, MOV, MP4.
As I mentioned, they've never listed the TS container, but it works as well.

Dan
post #10766 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's a generic help screen. What DLNA server are you using?
Quote:
The Roku Media Player is the only one I know that will play H.262 without transcoding, and again that's apparently only on the Ultra. Plex and Chaneru will transcode, although I've never tried forcing Plex into Direct Play with H.262 content. It might work, maybe.

But again, check the Help panel in RMP, and the Supported Files panel lists the supported codecs. It should say H.262, since it's there for JoeKustra, and he has a 4660. On mine, the line says:
Video(H.264/262/265HVEC) - MKV, MOV, MP4.
As I mentioned, they've never listed the TS container, but it works as well.
post #10767 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's a generic help screen. What DLNA server are you using?
I use Serviio, but the help screen I'm referring to is in Roku Media Player. It has nothing to do with the DLNA server used. It's there when you first open RMP, and it's also available after selecting Videos. Usually all the way to the right, and depending on how many DLNA sources RMP sees it could be off the edge of the screen.

Dan
post #10768 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exactly, RMP relies on one of many possible DLNA servers to provide the stream. Many DLNA servers have built in transcoding (serviio being one of them) so it's important to know exactly how you watched this MPEG2 content. You would need the file and the method and you need to check if Serviio is performing a transcode that you're just not aware of.

Again, that help screen is generic and on a ROKU TV MPEG2 is supported.

I know that for my uses, there is no MPEG2 support. I can look at my various servers and see they have to transcode MPEG2 content when serving up a ROKU. I hope ROKU adds MPEG2 support soon but I"m not holding my breath.

I'm pretty much done here. It got exhausting on the PLEX and ROKU forums as well when a few kept insisting on things that the product developers told them were not true.

Have a great day and enjoy!

Quote:
I use Serviio, but the help screen I'm referring to is in Roku Media Player. It has nothing to do with the DLNA server used. It's there when you first open RMP, and it's also available after selecting Videos. Usually all the way to the right, and depending on how many DLNA sources RMP sees it could be off the edge of the screen.
post #10769 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exactly, RMP relies on one of many possible DLNA servers to provide the stream. Many DLNA servers have built in transcoding (serviio being one of them) so it's important to know exactly how you watched this MPEG2 content. You would need the file and the method and you need to check if Serviio is performing a transcode that you're just not aware of.

Again, that help screen is generic and on a ROKU TV MPEG2 is supported.

I know that for my uses, there is no MPEG2 support. I can look at my various servers and see they have to transcode MPEG2 content when serving up a ROKU. I hope ROKU adds MPEG2 support soon but I"m not holding my breath.

I'm pretty much done here. It got exhausting on the PLEX and ROKU forums as well when a few kept insisting on things that the product developers told them were not true.

Have a great day and enjoy!
I'm sorry it's not working for you. I won't drag it out any longer either. But actually the RMP help screen is not generic, as RokuDale has explained to me that it absolutely reflects exactly what each player is capable of. My Roku 4 does not show the same list of supported codecs as the Ultra. Also, with Serviio I am the author of the Roku profiles it uses, so I know exactly what gets transcoded and what doesn't, and I designed a new profile specifically for MPEG2 support. I know the files are not being transcoded. But with Serviio the user has to manually select the correct profile, because so far I haven't been able to get them to auto-configure themselves correctly. They end up with the generic Roku profile by default, which transcodes almost everything to keep the bitrate low enough for the older players.

Again, it's a bummer that yours isn't supporting MPEG-2. I can't explain why it isn't, as I know from inside contact with Roku that they have added it to the 4640, and according to others the 4660 as well. Very puzzling.

Dan
post #10770 of 11497 Old 11-18-2018, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, one last attempt.

You keep talking about RMP and MPEG2. I don't know the details of RMP but perhaps it has the ability to do the transcoding it needs to output on the ROKU device. Transcoding can occur at multiple points in the process.

RMP is a client on the ROKU device. What it supports and what the hardware supports do not have to be the same. Read the specifications for the device itself. You mentioned ROKUDale. He said the same thing on the ROKU forums.

Here are the published specs for the 4660RW.

Audio Formats AAC, ALAC, FLAC, MP3, WAV, WMA
Video Formats H.264, H.265, HEVC, MKV, MOV, VP9
Photo Formats GIF, JPEG, PNG
Built-in Decoders Dolby Audio

Enjoy.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page