Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 361 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9681Likes

post #10801 of 11497 Old 11-21-2018, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 95
If there’s no transcoding than the ROKU isn’t either. No one is doing any heavy lifting. And good luck with PLEX not doing some kind of transcoding when playing to the ROKU.

Last edited by Johnson-from-Arizona; 11-21-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10802 of 11497 Old 11-21-2018, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
If there’s no transcoding than the ROKU isn’t either. No one is doing any heavy lifting. And good luck with PLEX not doing some kind of transcoding when playing to the ROKU.
As @aaronwt said, it depends on the file being streamed. Not every file needs to be transcoded, ONLY those the Roku doesn't have native support for.

Also, if you know you formats / codecs, you can often change settings to either eliminate the need for a transcode, or at least reduce the need.
post #10803 of 11497 Old 11-21-2018, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I got the new '9' firmware on both of my Ultras. The Directv Now app is better. Went from a D to an C. Maybe C+.
Got an Amazon Fire 4K stick today. DTVN is an A on it. Much faster. I may replace my other Ultra with another Fire stick.
I'm boxing up the Roku in my HT room. Saved the boxes for both. I may be re-gifting some Roku's this Christmas. Please don't tell on me.
dlbsyst likes this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10804 of 11497 Old 11-21-2018, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I got the new '9' firmware on both of my Ultras. The Directv Now app is better. Went from a D to an C. Maybe C+.
Got an Amazon Fire 4K stick today. DTVN is an A on it. Much faster. I may replace my other Ultra with another Fire stick.
I'm boxing up the Roku in my HT room. Saved the boxes for both. I may be re-gifting some Roku's this Christmas. Please don't tell on me.
The Fire Stick 4k is lightening fast with DTV Now. Actually lightening fast with everything but DTV Now is a pleasure on it. Changes channels in a second, brings up menu in a split second.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #10805 of 11497 Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Also got the nine update on my 2017 Ultra...knock on wood but I'm not getting the zoom issue with frame rate matching on Hulu.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
post #10806 of 11497 Old 11-21-2018, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Roku Ultra having strange connection/sync issues, maybe HDCP?

So I've upgraded my setup recently and now my Roku is being a little weird. When I have my receiver switch to Roku, or when I turn things on and it is already selected sometimes, but not always, it'll fail to display anything. My TV says that it is getting no signal, which only happens if the receiver in on an input that is hooked up but not outputting (if it is on a disconnected channel it displays "Denon" on the screen). Switching inputs to a different one and back or disconnecting and reconnecting the cable seems to basically always fix it. Once it does display, there's no errors. No static, dropouts, etc it works flawlessly as long as it stays on. I did not have this problem with my last setup. Neither of my other devices (Windows PC or Panasonic Blu-ray player) seem to have any issues, just the Roku.

Currently I have the Roku hooked via HDMI to a Denon AVR-X4400H and that hooked by HDMI to a Vizio P65-F1. Both the Denon and TV are set up to do full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 and the Roku plays 4k HDR signals no issues. It also confirms it has HDCP 2.2 sync'd up fine. The cables are all short (6 feet) and brand new.

Previously I had the Roku hooked via HDMI to a Denon 3808CI and that hooked by HDMI to an old Samsung 1080p TV.

Anyone have any ideas?
post #10807 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
My sweet spot with streamers seems to be Roku, and Apple TV. I've never tried the Amazon products, as when watching reviews, they lack third party content providers I use. Depending on the apps being used, Roku, and Apple TV have about the same experience for me give or take certain apps being snappier on a particular device, or having a better UI / support on a particular device.

I also own a Chromecast ultra which is really fast, but it depends on content being streamed there as well, whether or not it has native support, or not.

The other thing is, when it comes to streaming services outside of Netflix, etc, my main ones are VUDU, and iTunes. I have libraries on Amazon Google Play, etc: I just find VUDU to be the best for movies and TV for a pay as you go service, and iTunes is where i have my music, as well as movies and TV.
post #10808 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Subscribed as I picked up an Ultra 2018 for $49 from Target. Moving my 2016 Stick to the bedroom.
aaronwt and sparky7 like this.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
post #10809 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I need to strip HDR out of my Ultra 4K streams that are HDR. Is there a way to do this? My projector is not compatible with HDR and when it plays one the picture is darker and washed out. Since about 30% of the Netflix catalog is 4k HDR I'm giving up a lot unless I can fix this.

Jack
post #10810 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Happy Thanksgiving! Roku is redoing their User Interface.

https://www.cnet.com/news/roku-home-...89805569056236
aaronwt and galonzo like this.
post #10811 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
My sweet spot with streamers seems to be Roku, and Apple TV. I've never tried the Amazon products, as when watching reviews, they lack third party content providers I use. Depending on the apps being used, Roku, and Apple TV have about the same experience for me give or take certain apps being snappier on a particular device, or having a better UI / support on a particular device.

I also own a Chromecast ultra which is really fast, but it depends on content being streamed there as well, whether or not it has native support, or not.

The other thing is, when it comes to streaming services outside of Netflix, etc, my main ones are VUDU, and iTunes. I have libraries on Amazon Google Play, etc: I just find VUDU to be the best for movies and TV for a pay as you go service, and iTunes is where i have my music, as well as movies and TV.
The absence of YouTube and Vudu are major drawbacks of the Amazon FireTV IMHO.
post #10812 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
The absence of YouTube and Vudu are major drawbacks of the Amazon FireTV IMHO.
The new Fire TV Stick 4K is advertised as having youtube. I'll find out since I ordered one this morning. I had been holding out because the lack of that.

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer SC-95, SC-1222 7.2.4, (4) Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 bookshelf (1) Debut 2.0 C6.2 center channel speaker, (4) Monoprice Monolith 24" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speaker, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Dish Network Joey, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
post #10813 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Has your Roku updated to 9.0 yet? Once mine did it fixed the exact same issue (connected to Denon 930H with a single cable to TV). At least it was so far. Otherwise things would work off and on as you described, and switching receiver inputs would fix the issue.

Other suggestions would be to turn off in the Denon CEC, auto-update, and other features where the receiver is looking for a signal which can introduce handshake issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycraft View Post
So I've upgraded my setup recently and now my Roku is being a little weird. When I have my receiver switch to Roku, or when I turn things on and it is already selected sometimes, but not always, it'll fail to display anything. My TV says that it is getting no signal, which only happens if the receiver in on an input that is hooked up but not outputting (if it is on a disconnected channel it displays "Denon" on the screen). Switching inputs to a different one and back or disconnecting and reconnecting the cable seems to basically always fix it. Once it does display, there's no errors. No static, dropouts, etc it works flawlessly as long as it stays on. I did not have this problem with my last setup. Neither of my other devices (Windows PC or Panasonic Blu-ray player) seem to have any issues, just the Roku.

Currently I have the Roku hooked via HDMI to a Denon AVR-X4400H and that hooked by HDMI to a Vizio P65-F1. Both the Denon and TV are set up to do full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 and the Roku plays 4k HDR signals no issues. It also confirms it has HDCP 2.2 sync'd up fine. The cables are all short (6 feet) and brand new.

Previously I had the Roku hooked via HDMI to a Denon 3808CI and that hooked by HDMI to an old Samsung 1080p TV.

Anyone have any ideas?
post #10814 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
The new Fire TV Stick 4K is advertised as having youtube. I'll find out since I ordered one this morning. I had been holding out because the lack of that.
Amazon advertises YouTube.com, which is an obtuse way of saying you have to access it via the built in web browser.

Edit: Personally YouTube isn't a big deal to me, however, I know it is a major source of free video for many. Vudu is a bigger issue for me. I realise you can sideway the Vudu app but it is a kludge that shouldn't be necessary.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by naustin; 11-22-2018 at 11:53 AM.
post #10815 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 11:55 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8896 Post(s)
Liked: 5686
Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving! Roku is redoing their User Interface.

https://www.cnet.com/news/roku-home-...89805569056236
I guess I wont be looking forward to this. I like how it is now. I can go to the roku channel or choose a specific app. I really don't want the roku channel l to be my only option.

Since I mostly go straight to an app.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
TimGoodwin, naustin and Jbhur212 like this.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10816 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 11:56 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8896 Post(s)
Liked: 5686
Quote:
Amazon advertises YouTube.com, which is an obtuse way of saying you have to access it via the built in web browser.

Edit: Personally YouTube isn't a big deal to me, however, I know it is a major source of free video for many. Vudu is a bigger issue for me. I realise you can sideway the Vudu app but it is a kludge that shouldn't be necessary.
But it actually works rather well that way. They really have no choice since Google removed the YouTube app from Amazon products.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10817 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I prefer the web interface, or mobile app of YouTube to the TV interface for browsing. For things like starting a saved Playlist, or watching HDR content, the TV interface is fine. Because I have been paying for Red, now Premium, there are more features on the mobile app, and website that I can take advantage of beyond no ads.

Sometimes I will find what I want on the mobile app, open the channel on Roku, or Apple TV , etc, and simply cast / airplay. As far as VUDU, thought amazon had that one already.
post #10818 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post
Has your Roku updated to 9.0 yet? Once mine did it fixed the exact same issue (connected to Denon 930H with a single cable to TV). At least it was so far. Otherwise things would work off and on as you described, and switching receiver inputs would fix the issue.

Other suggestions would be to turn off in the Denon CEC, auto-update, and other features where the receiver is looking for a signal which can introduce handshake issues.

It has not, it appears to be content to sit at 8.1.0. When I tell it to update, it says that's the latest. I'm guessing they are rolling it out in waves or something? I'll wait awhile and see if it gets an update in the next week or two. CEC is off on the Denon, at least it supposedly is. What I mean by that is that is I have one touch play off on the Roku and HDMI control off on the Denon, just ARC turned on. However I can still control the volume of the Denon using any remote so I have no idea why that is :P.

For auto update do you mean firmware updates or something else?
post #10819 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I need to strip HDR out of my Ultra 4K streams that are HDR. Is there a way to do this? My projector is not compatible with HDR and when it plays one the picture is darker and washed out. Since about 30% of the Netflix catalog is 4k HDR I'm giving up a lot unless I can fix this.
Most users leave their display setting on auto, but you can set it manually for 4K 30hz or 4K 60hz with or without HDR. I just looked at the menu on my Ultra to confirm it was there.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10820 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Most users leave their display setting on auto, but you can set it manually for 4K 30hz or 4K 60hz with or without HDR. I just looked at the menu on my Ultra to confirm it was there.
I did that and the box the Roku is connected to didn't give back the right EDID info and the Roku came with the HDCP violation messages and downgraded the signal to HDCP 1.4. The interface between the two worked fine using the "Auto" setting except that it chose 4K60Xz HDR. This got passed through and down-scaled by the box to 1080P with HDR which is the problem as my projector doesn't like HDR.

Jack
post #10821 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I did that and the box the Roku is connected to didn't give back the right EDID info and the Roku came with the HDCP violation messages and downgraded the signal to HDCP 1.4. The interface between the two worked fine using the "Auto" setting except that it chose 4K60Xz HDR. This got passed through and down-scaled by the box to 1080P with HDR which is the problem as my projector doesn't like HDR.
Bummer that the scaler can't be set to modify the EDID information. Do you have Roku OS 9 yet? That might clear up the HDCP errors. I haven't seen one since I received it. Roku does their updates in waves, so if you haven't gotten it yet you likely will within the next couple of weeks. Seems like a lot of people get it this week, so appears they have sped up the rollout. OS 9 has been working fine for me.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10822 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycraft View Post
For auto update do you mean firmware updates or something else?
In the Network tab in the Denon there is an option to automatically check for updates. I turned it off and check manually (the proper AVS threads are great for announcing when a firmware is released).

Regarding the update, I think it's waves as you said. Hopefully it's not too much longer.

post #10823 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bummer that the scaler can't be set to modify the EDID information. Do you have Roku OS 9 yet? That might clear up the HDCP errors. I haven't seen one since I received it. Roku does their updates in waves, so if you haven't gotten it yet you likely will within the next couple of weeks. Seems like a lot of people get it this week, so appears they have sped up the rollout. OS 9 has been working fine for me.
The scaler can be set but I'm not sure it has the right profile for what I need.I'll be studying up on it.

Jack
post #10824 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 168
$49.99 Ultra with free shipping. Saw it advertised in a couple stores for that price as well. Also Streaming Sticks for $29.99

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra
aaronwt and sparky7 like this.
post #10825 of 11497 Old 11-22-2018, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I prefer the web interface, or mobile app of YouTube to the TV interface for browsing...

Sometimes I will find what I want on the mobile app, open the channel on Roku, or Apple TV , etc, and simply cast / airplay. As far as VUDU, thought amazon had that one already.
Sorry my bad, you have to sideload (not sideway ) a Vudu Android Package Kit (APK). Since Amazon views Vudu as a competitor for video purchases & rentals it is not an offered App. When you sideload an APK into FireTV's forked version of Android there are no guarantees HDR and Atmos will always work since it is an unauthorised load to both companies. I've used FireTV's since Gen2 the 4K box then the 4K HDR box but switched it out for my ATV4K with Dolby Vision/Atmos.

Like you the HDR Rokus & ATV4K meet all my current streaming needs. If I used a home media server & games a nVidia Shield would also be most useful IMHO.
galonzo likes this.
post #10826 of 11497 Old 11-23-2018, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
$49.99 Ultra with free shipping. Saw it advertised in a couple stores for that price as well. Also Streaming Sticks for $29.99

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

I've been eyeing this deal having recently upgraded to the LG OLED55B7A. The LG, Roku3 and BluRay are routed via HDMI through a Marantz SR6005 which supports Dolby formats (except Atmos) but lacks 4K support. Would love to get advice from someone with a Roku Ultra 4661 (2018 model). Thanks

LG OLED55B7A
Marantz SR-6005
Roku 3
Definitive studio monitors, SW, surrounds
Mill Valley, CA
post #10827 of 11497 Old 11-23-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
I've been eyeing this deal having recently upgraded to the LG OLED55B7A. The LG, Roku3 and BluRay are routed via HDMI through a Marantz SR6005 which supports Dolby formats (except Atmos) but lacks 4K support. Would love to get advice from someone with a Roku Ultra 4661 (2018 model). Thanks
There is no point upgrading to a Roku Ultra doing 4K HDR if you are routing through a non-4K AVR; unless you decide to connect the Roku Ultra directly to your LG OLED for 4K HDR10 and use ARC to your AVR for DTS and DD+ audio.
post #10828 of 11497 Old 11-23-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
There is no point upgrading to a Roku Ultra doing 4K HDR if you are routing through a non-4K AVR; unless you decide to connect the Roku Ultra directly to your LG OLED for 4K HDR10 and use ARC to your AVR for DTS and DD+ audio.

I'm using the ARC port on the OLED to connect with the AVR now. So if I understand correctly were I to upgrade to the Ultra I'd use the ARC port strictly for audio.

LG OLED55B7A
Marantz SR-6005
Roku 3
Mill Valley, CA
post #10829 of 11497 Old 11-23-2018, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
You need to replace your AVR with something that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. It doesn't have to be expensive. I have a Yamaha RX-V583, which was only a few hundred $. And it supports Atmos/DTS:X in a 5.1.2 configuration. Nice inexpensive way to start out. Now add the Ultra and you will have 4K HDR and Atmos audio from several online sources. If you rip your own movies onto a computer and have lossless audio tracks, then I suggest the Nvidia Shield, which passes Atmos and DTS:X straight through to your AVR.

Dan
post #10830 of 11497 Old 11-23-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
You need to replace your AVR with something that supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. It doesn't have to be expensive. I have a Yamaha RX-V583, which was only a few hundred $. And it supports Atmos/DTS:X in a 5.1.2 configuration. Nice inexpensive way to start out. Now add the Ultra and you will have 4K HDR and Atmos audio from several online sources. If you rip your own movies onto a computer and have lossless audio tracks, then I suggest the Nvidia Shield, which passes Atmos and DTS:X straight through to your AVR.

Thanks...audio quality is very important since I have a full Definitive 5.1 speaker system. From what I know Yamaha audio quality in the lower models isn't as good as the Aventage series which can hit the same price tier as Marantz. I'll do a little research and see what comes up. I appreciate the advice.

LG OLED55B7A
Marantz SR-6005
Roku 3
Mill Valley, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page