Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 362 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9681Likes

post #10831 of 11497 Old 11-23-2018, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalk View Post
I'm using the ARC port on the OLED to connect with the AVR now. So if I understand correctly were I to upgrade to the Ultra I'd use the ARC port strictly for audio.
Yes, connecting the Roku Ultra to an UHD HDMI configured port on your Lg.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 11497 Old 11-23-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Thanks...audio quality is very important since I have a full Definitive 5.1 speaker system. From what I know Yamaha audio quality in the lower models isn't as good as the Aventage series which can hit the same price tier as Marantz. I'll do a little research and see what comes up. I appreciate the advice.
Here in the Seattle area we have a chain of stores called Video Only, which has great prices. When I bought my Yamaha, I could have gotten something in the Aventage line for a couple of hundred more. But I don't have the speakers necessary to tell the difference, so I didn't bother. But I understand your desire in that regard, so best of luck shopping today!

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10833 of 11497 Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes we have Video Only in the SF Bay area though they've changed their product selections dramatically and hired commissioned sales people many of which are clueless used car types. I prefer to get advice from independent AV stores, then hunt for the equipment elsewhere. This forum has been very helpful and I appreciate your feedback in that regard.

LG OLED55B7A
Marantz SR-6005
Roku 3
Definitive studio monitors, SW, surrounds
Mill Valley, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10834 of 11497 Old 11-23-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes we have Video Only in the SF Bay area though they've changed their product selections dramatically and hired commissioned sales people many of which are clueless used car types. I prefer to get advice from independent AV stores, then hunt for the equipment elsewhere. This forum has been very helpful and I appreciate your feedback in that regard.
Ouch, I haven't been in my local one lately. They've always been pretty knowledgeable in the past. If they've moved to that type of sales method, then I'll stick with Best Buy or on-line sales. Amazon and I are best buds.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10835 of 11497 Old 11-24-2018, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
I prefer to get advice from independent AV stores, then hunt for the equipment elsewhere.
And this is why independent AV stores are going out of business, paying those employees that give that advice is expensive. This is the whole point of those "buy local" campaigns.
Scott M and tngiloy like this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #10836 of 11497 Old 11-24-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
And this is why independent AV stores are going out of business, paying those employees that give that advice is expensive. This is the whole point of those "buy local" campaigns.
This is true. But... When that independent AV store is charging over a hundred dollars more for something than at another place you can only go so far with the money you have. That local store needs to find a way to sell for less or their business is in jeopardy from day one. That said, I realize that the local store has overhead that demands higher prices, employees and space rent, etc...

Bobby 

post #10837 of 11497 Old 11-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
This is true. But... When that independent AV store is charging over a hundred dollars more for something than at another place you can only go so far with the money you have. That local store needs to find a way to sell for less or their business is in jeopardy from day one. That said, I realize that the local store has overhead that demands higher prices, employees and space rent, etc...
Yes, stores have overhead. However, the person above stated he goes to the local stores for advice and then buys elsewhere. That’s just wrong, IMO. It’s not right to use a store’s resources if you have no intention of giving them any business. If you are going to buy online, then do your own research.

I purchase online all the time, but I don’t waste the time of salespersons in a store beforehand. I do my own research. If I go into a store, it’s because I decided to buy something locally and not online.
post #10838 of 11497 Old 11-24-2018, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
How much do you value that advice you get from the local guy? Is it worth $100-200 if it means you are getting the right equipment?

How much would you miss the local store if they went out of business? Also don't complain about the lack of ability to put your hands on the product if you don't support that brick and mortar that allows you to put your hands on the product before you lay down a couple of thousand of dollars.
Scott M likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #10839 of 11497 Old 11-24-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Yes, stores have overhead. However, the person above stated he goes to the local stores for advice and then buys elsewhere. That’s just wrong, IMO. It’s not right to use a store’s resources if you have no intention of giving them any business. If you are going to buy online, then do your own research.

I purchase online all the time, but I don’t waste the time of salespersons in a store beforehand. I do my own research. If I go into a store, it’s because I decided to buy something locally and not online.
I agree and couldn't do that. I'm crazy though and loyal so if I researched TV's at Best buy I'd feel obligated to buy it there. But again that is just how I am.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #10840 of 11497 Old 11-24-2018, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I agree and couldn't do that. I'm crazy though and loyal so if I researched TV's at Best buy I'd feel obligated to buy it there. But again that is just how I am.

I am the same way. If I go to a store to seek their advice, I feel obligated to make my purchase there.
galonzo likes this.
post #10841 of 11497 Old 11-24-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I am the same way. If I go to a store to seek their advice, I feel obligated to make my purchase there.
Also there isn't any play really with price on TV's. There are no deals other than free shipping but you still get shipping if by in the store no?

post #10842 of 11497 Old 11-24-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Be aware that true "local" AV stores will bargain with you on price and maybe at least price match. Sometimes the big box stores will match another big box price. It doesn't hurt to give the store the option of earning your business.
aaronwt, rakstr, galonzo and 1 others like this.
post #10843 of 11497 Old 11-25-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Speaking of buying stuff, while my Premiere+ is working fine, it still hasn't upgraded to the latest software, while my 2017 Ultra has, and it's been solid.

Based on this thread, the only 2016 model that has gotten the upgrade at this point seems to be the 2016 Ultra. I'm curious if this issue is just going to get worse the older my units get. The other big complaint I still have about the way Roku does thing is, I am the type of person who prefers to have all devices on the software version if possible, or at least chose when to upgrade. With this said, because Roku Players are low cost devices, is it better to upgrade them every couple years, even if what you have is working? Just for the reasoning of software updates.
post #10844 of 11497 Old 11-25-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Speaking of buying stuff, while my Premiere+ is working fine, it still hasn't upgraded to the latest software, while my 2017 Ultra has, and it's been solid.

Based on this thread, the only 2016 model that has gotten the upgrade at this point seems to be the 2016 Ultra. I'm curious if this issue is just going to get worse the older my units get. The other big complaint I still have about the way Roku does thing is, I am the type of person who prefers to have all devices on the software version if possible, or at least chose when to upgrade. With this said, because Roku Players are low cost devices, is it better to upgrade them every couple years, even if what you have is working? Just for the reasoning of software updates.
IMHO, no. Software updates are designed to fix issues and/or add enhancements that may or may not be important to you. If your Premier+ works fine and you don't want the new Spotify App, 8.2 is fine. Also be aware new Models aren't necessarily better. The 2016 Ultra "box" has better features/specs than the 2017 and 2018. The new differences relate to the voice remote & 2018 JBL earplugs.

My point is you always want the latest firmware offered if you have issues, otherwise don't worry be happy
galonzo likes this.
post #10845 of 11497 Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
IMHO, no. Software updates are designed to fix issues and/or add enhancements that may or may not be important to you. If your Premier+ works fine and you don't want the new Spotify App, 8.2 is fine. Also be aware new Models aren't necessarily better. The 2016 Ultra "box" has better features/specs than the 2017 and 2018. The new differences relate to the voice remote & 2018 JBL earplugs.

My point is you always want the latest firmware offered if you have issues, otherwise don't worry be happy
I'm happy with the performance, I was just curious if it was better to upgrade both software / hardware every couple years. As far as the 2016 vs 2017 / 2018 Ultra units. The 2017 is much better in my setup because it doesn't contain the transociding hardware which caused conflicts because my TV also has that ability so the ROKU and TV would conflict and cause audio issues. The Roku had no way to turn this off, so with only one device handling this, makes my 4k setup much more reliable.

As far as the point I was making about the software updates, Sony, and Apple provide the software for the designated models and give the user, the choice to upgrade now, or later, or never. With Roku, it's not that easy, because in this case, I have a unit with the new software, I find it stable, and find some performance improvements that would be nice to have on both units. However, I can't upgrade when I'm ready, or if I didn't want the upgrade, I couldn't stop it anyway. I just would like to see different options for managing Roku updates then currently exist. As far as the question about upgrading, it just seems the newer models get upgraded faster, then the older ones.

By the way, I do appreciate older software / hardware in some circumstances, over the newest available. One personal example here would be my black Roku streaming stick model 3600R from 2016. It's the only Roku I have left that handles DTS passthrough correctly on multiple sources. The newer units all have the same flaws that have come up with recent software updates. The downside is this particular product is 1080p max.
post #10846 of 11497 Old 11-25-2018, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Question about Roku Ultra

Can you give verbal commands to:
1. Turn on your TV (an older Panny plasma)?
2. Commands to your AVR (Marantz) to control volume?
3. Commands to turn to specific channels like Netflix, YTTV, Prime, Commedy Central, HBOGo etc.?
4. Pause
5 RW or FF for a specific amount of time (10 seconds, 4.5 minutes etc.)

Last edited by snidely; 11-25-2018 at 10:05 PM.
post #10847 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
3. Commands to turn to specific channels like Netflix, YTTV, Prime, Commedy Central, HBOGo etc.?
4. Pause
No, Roku doesn't have a Smart assistant of that nature. Many of those tasks work with other product such as:
Apple TV
Amazon Fire
Google products.

Roku mainly just has a "Voice Search " function that allows you to search for content.
post #10848 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
4. Pause
While it isn't voice, it can use CEC to power up the TV (just press any button on the Roku remote) and the volume buttons on the remote will also control either the TV or an AVR. I have a Panasonic ST30 plasma and it does this on mine. This is assuming your TV has CEC control functionality.

Dan
post #10849 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Although I don't use it I just confirmed voice commands on my ROKU Ultra will "Launch YoutubeTV", "Mute Volume", "Unmute Volume", "Power Off" commands via the remote voice control. I didn't try anything else. I don't own any of the other spy technology so I know it's the ROKU doing it I think you need to just try it.
I have my ROKU connected to my AVR (TSR-7850) and CEC enabled between the TV (Vizio M series) and AVRQUOTE=MacinMan;57165120]No, Roku doesn't have a Smart assistant of that nature. Many of those tasks work with other product such as:
Apple TV
Amazon Fire
Google products.

Roku mainly just has a "Voice Search " function that allows you to search for content.[/QUOTE]
post #10850 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
No, Roku doesn't have a Smart assistant of that nature. Many of those tasks work with other product such as:
Apple TV
Amazon Fire
Google products.

Roku mainly just has a "Voice Search " function that allows you to search for content.
Thanks for the quick reply. We do have Google home. We can use it to give commands when streaming YTTV via Chromecast. Can we use Google home to give any commands to the Ultra Roku model?
post #10851 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. We do have Google home. We can use it to give commands when streaming YTTV via Chromecast. Can we use Google home to give any commands to the Ultra Roku model?
Looks like Roku added some functions I wasn't aware of. However, to answer your question: Devices need to be compatible with Google home to work. I don't think Roku is.

As far as choice of Platform, I've used apple products long before I used a Roku or any other device. I tried Roku for the first time back in 2013, because Apple TV wasn't what it was back then, then what it is today. If it had been, then who knows if I would have used a Roku at all.

Either way, I think unseeing multiple products has given me a lot more experience to help others then just sticking to one. I also have a ChromeCast Ultra and an Android TV that has google cast built in, plus google cast built into YouTube via the Roku channel, etc.

Hope this helps.
post #10852 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You DO NOT need Google home or other spy devices to use voice commands. Please see my previous post. I actually performed these commands using the Ultra only. Let's stop guessing about things.
post #10853 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
You DO NOT need Google home or other spy devices to use voice commands. Please see my previous post. I actually performed these commands using the Ultra only. Let's stop guessing about things.
I didn't say Google home was NEEDED for Roku's voice commands. He asked if IF Roku could be used with Google Home, and I said Roku doesn't support google home, but devices he wanted to use with it, had to.
post #10854 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I hope someone can explain the display menu choice of 4.2.0 vs 4.2.2 on the Roku. What does choosing one vs the other actually do. I think I have read that 4.2.0 is 10 bit and 4.2.2 is 12 bit. Does the Roku create the bit structure thereby creating more color, or is it simply passing it on? Why choose one vs the other?

Jack
post #10855 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually his original request said nothing about any of the spy devices. Someone else replied and said ROKU could not perform such tasks implying the need for one of the spy devices. He then asked about the specific spy device Google Home.

I was trying to clarify the response to his original question and make sure it is clear that the ROKU DOES have some built in voice command functionality for overall navigation and control.
4. Pause
Also, per CNET, the ROKU DOES interact with the Google spy devices.

https://www.cnet.com/news/roku-strea...stant-devices/

Quote:
I didn't say Google home was NEEDED for Roku's voice commands. He asked if IF Roku could be used with Google Home, and I said Roku doesn't support google home, but devices he wanted to use with it, had to.

Last edited by rakstr; 11-26-2018 at 08:20 AM.
post #10856 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Actually his original request said nothing about any of the spy devices. Someone else replied and said ROKU could not perform such tasks implying the need for one of the spy devices. He then asked about the specific spy device Google Home.

I was trying to clarify the response to his original question and make sure it is clear that the ROKU DOES have some built in voice command functionality for overall navigation and control.
4. Pause
Yes, I follow you, and I apologize for the misunderstanding. I did read the original post, and wanted to give him two points, which I think got taken incorrectly.

First: Roku has voice commands, but nothing as complex as the other mentioned devices.
Second: If he wanted that functionality, that one of the devices I mentioned would work better than Roku.
Third, and this one is just for me, I haven't used Roku voice search in years, so I'm not aware they added any functionality. So, the mention of the above commands Roku now supports, was new info to me.
post #10857 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Per CNET, it also interacts with Google Spy devices

https://www.cnet.com/news/roku-strea...stant-devices/

Quote:
Yes, I follow you, and I apologize for the misunderstanding. I did read the original post, and wanted to give him two points, which I think got taken incorrectly.

First: Roku has voice commands, but nothing as complex as the other mentioned devices.
Second: If he wanted that functionality, that one of the devices I mentioned would work better than Roku.
Third, and this one is just for me, I haven't used Roku voice search in years, so I'm not aware they added any functionality. So, the mention of the above commands Roku now supports, was new info to me.
post #10858 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I hope someone can explain the display menu choice of 4.2.0 vs 4.2.2 on the Roku. What does choosing one vs the other actually do. I think I have read that 4.2.0 is 10 bit and 4.2.2 is 12 bit. Does the Roku create the bit structure thereby creating more color, or is it simply passing it on? Why choose one vs the other?
No, it can't create color points that were not there before. But for some (many?) displays, changing the color bit setting can make a difference with the actual display of color. My Samsung didn't look correct with 4:2:2 selected, which was for some reason the default setting. There was noticeable color banding in the image, most noticeable in sky shots. Changing to 4:2:0 cleared it up.

Also, 4:2:2 requires more bandwidth over the HDMI connection, and by dropping it to 4:2:0 some people are able to eliminate the HDCP errors that were occurring, or sometimes resolve HDMI handshake issues.
galonzo likes this.

Dan
post #10859 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1583
^^^^^just to add to this @atc98092 and @JackB , since all commercially available streaming content is at 4:2:0 (as well as all disk content), it used to be up to the device to up-sample to 4:2:2, or possible even 4:4:4; that is, right up until 4K came along. Since the bandwidth needed for 4K is so high, the HDMI standard now allows the native 4:2:0 to be passed along over HDMI, but only at 50 and 60Hz (I, too, found that I get banding unless I select 4:2:0, even with the only 4K/60Hz disk to date).

So even when set to 4:2:0, you'll still get at least 4:2:2 by default for anything other than 4K50/60Hz, as the linked chart shows that 4:2:0 would be "illegal" to send over HDMI for any other signal.
brotony and naustin like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #10860 of 11497 Old 11-26-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
No, it can't create color points that were not there before. But for some (many?) displays, changing the color bit setting can make a difference with the actual display of color. My Samsung didn't look correct with 4:2:2 selected, which was for some reason the default setting. There was noticeable color banding in the image, most noticeable in sky shots. Changing to 4:2:0 cleared it up.

Also, 4:2:2 requires more bandwidth over the HDMI connection, and by dropping it to 4:2:0 some people are able to eliminate the HDCP errors that were occurring, or sometimes resolve HDMI handshake issues.
I've left mine set to 4.2.0, no reason to use 4.2.2 if the display isn't 12 bit compatible. Haven't had any real HDMI / HDCP issues for quite a while. It's nice to have stable Roku players, but at the same time, they become kind of boring when they just work because there isn't much to do with htem as far as customizing, and tweaking options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page