Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 365 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9925Likes

post #10921 of 11866 Old 11-30-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
The LED Clock Screensaver seems to have broken. On all three of my Roku units, while the clock and date show, and all my settings are retained, the weather info is gone. Looks like whatever service the screensaver gets the info form is down.
Today must be a bad day for weather Apps Both my Google Home Hubs couldn't do default weather this morning. It came back on its own after about six hours. Thanks for testing the Google Assistant App on the Roku.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10922 of 11866 Old 11-30-2018, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 113
"my replacement will be pre-tested to be free of HDCP errors."

Hilarious.
aaronwt likes this.
post #10923 of 11866 Old 11-30-2018, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
"my replacement will be pre-tested to be free of HDCP errors."

Hilarious.
Lol. Maybe it's comical after all my previous replacements, the thought is still defective replacements are to blame.

I'll share my "lab tested" replacement test results with this thread. I'm not all that hopeful but agree the Roku OS is the likely culprit. My TV is abnormally impacted with the HDCP errors with Roku 4K devices when framerate auto switching is enabled.

I should have asked if Roku has a framerate API. We know Apple TV has one for framerate and dynamic range matching. I suspect Amazon one for Fire devices too since the framerate matching only works on the Amazon Prime app out of the box. Maybe Roku has one but doesn't make it a prerequisite for framerate switching to take place within apps?

Is one replacement better than the other? I thought the last 2017 4660 model was a keeper because it played better with framerate enabled compared to the 2016 model I had prior. Not perfect; the Roku OS 9 updates still see many HDCP errors, maybe even more, particularly on Hulu with framerate switching enabled (Hulu says these are known issues they're working on). I asked Roku support if I could expect a 2018 model this go around when the replacement discussion started and that's what I was told. They'll pretest before sending the replacement.

They also marked my ticket as resolved after I agreed to the replacement. I'd think they'd like to hear the results too, before closing the ticket? But it is what it is. I'll share the results anyway.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10924 of 11866 Old 11-30-2018, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Just pulled an update to OS9 on my 4661 (build 4083-46). Maybe some of the 9.0 issues folks are having are fixed.
post #10925 of 11866 Old 11-30-2018, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked: 3645
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Roku support says my HDCP errors on my Roku Ultra 4660 are suspect for defective replacement (replacements have been for same issue except the initial replacement). I've always seen them with auto framerate enabled but not with framerate fixed at 60 Hz.

I thought maybe your network was in question but no. Have you tried changing the DNS in network settings? 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 Google DNS may be better than ISP provider DNS for streaming devices.

What series is causing the sync issue you describe? My Roku is out for replacement but I could test when the replacement arrives. Roku says my replacement will be pre-tested to be free of HDCP errors. I've asked for it before but there must be TVs that Roku has trouble supporting. My TV must be one of them.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
The Ultra ran flawlessly tonight. I did do some HDMI cable unplugging and replugging so maybe that did it, or not, we'll see in the coming days I suppose.
post #10926 of 11866 Old 12-01-2018, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Today must be a bad day for weather Apps Both my Google Home Hubs couldn't do default weather this morning. It came back on its own after about six hours. Thanks for testing the Google Assistant App on the Roku.
You're welcome. Yes, my info came back shortly after I posted this as well. As far as the Google and Roku testing, as I said above, each of the devices I own have pros and cons. When it comes to AI, and smart assistants, I believe Google has the most advanced, and most features, especially within their product line, and software. The fact that other devices do anything at all is a good step forward with integration. I know Apple Has Homekit,along with Siri, but they don't really integrate like Google does, now both have the ability to control smart accessories in home, however when it comes to having the most number of commands / options to control devices with your voice Google seems to be the leader here.

I was thinking and Roku, and Apple at least don't really provide options of accessibility to someone who couldn't use their hands to use a remote. Amazon might, but I've not used their products so can't really give a fair and accurate comparison there. After doing my tests yesterday with Google assistant, and my Sony TV (running Android TV) I could see more potential functionality options being developed for hands free operation.
post #10927 of 11866 Old 12-01-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
You're welcome. Yes, my info came back shortly after I posted this as well. As far as the Google and Roku testing, as I said above, each of the devices I own have pros and cons. When it comes to AI, and smart assistants, I believe Google has the most advanced, and most features, especially within their product line, and software. The fact that other devices do anything at all is a good step forward with integration. I know Apple Has Homekit,along with Siri, but they don't really integrate like Google does, now both have the ability to control smart accessories in home, however when it comes to having the most number of commands / options to control devices with your voice Google seems to be the leader here.

I was thinking and Roku, and Apple at least don't really provide options of accessibility to someone who couldn't use their hands to use a remote. Amazon might, but I've not used their products so can't really give a fair and accurate comparison there. After doing my tests yesterday with Google assistant, and my Sony TV (running Android TV) I could see more potential functionality options being developed for hands free operation.
It looks like Google's Assistant capability is the same as Roku's own voice remote which makes sense. Hopefully Roku will keep expanding voice features.

I like many people have several voice assistants: Siri for my phone & ATV4K and a few Alexi devices Google Assistant appears to be the most adaptable and word flexible IMHO. I'm glad Roku supports it.
brotony likes this.
post #10928 of 11866 Old 12-01-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
It looks like Google's Assistant capability is the same as Roku's own voice remote which makes sense. Hopefully Roku will keep expanding voice features.

I like many people have several voice assistants: Siri for my phone & ATV4K and a few Alexi devices Google Assistant appears to be the most adaptable and word flexible IMHO. I'm glad Roku supports it.
That would be nice to see Roku compete more with the more expensive and more featured devices. I love the fact that Roku has a big selection of content, and when it works it usually just works. But there are other advances that would be nice to see, more voice assistance options and functionality, as well as better support as a local streamer for those who use a media server at home. Beyond that not much else I would ask to be improved.
post #10929 of 11866 Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have you tried PLEX and/or EMBY? Just curious on your thoughts. I use PLEX for OTA TV/DVR. Unfortunately the PLEX developers seem to place less importance on ROKU than ATV
Quote:
better support as a local streamer for those who use a media server at home. Beyond that not much else I would ask to be improved.
post #10930 of 11866 Old 12-01-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Have you tried PLEX and/or EMBY? Just curious on your thoughts. I use PLEX for OTA TV/DVR. Unfortunately the PLEX developers seem to place less importance on ROKU than ATV
I have, in fact, I'm a lifetime Plex Pass holder. I think Plex works for Roku Users well in certain cases, while because of the Roku's limitations suffers in others.

Examples: I rip my Blu-ray Discs and DVDs at full quality MKVs using MakeMKV. Plex for Roku does NOT play nice with DTS audio, and has gotten worse with later versions of Roku OS. For Dolby audio things play nicer, even though neither can pass the lossless codecs, even as PCM.

besides that, Plex works reliable on average playback.

For the lossless, and non transcoded experience, I either use InFuse for Apple TV, which decodes the lossless formats and can send them as PCM on supported setups. (ATMOS is not supported), but I don't want ATMOS currently yet anyway, not in the right environment to really enjoy it.

The other option I use is DLNA via my Sony disc players either by Plex, or Serviio. The Sony units have the native codec support so they also work well as an alternative. People here such as @atc98092 have chosen the Shield TV for local streaming.

The main point I'm making here is, Plex works, but if you want a non transcode experience all the time, Roku and Plex, or even Apple TV + Plex aren't what you're looking for. I can't speak for Android TV Plex, maybe someone with a Shield TV can.
rakstr likes this.
post #10931 of 11866 Old 12-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Just pulled an update to OS9 on my 4661 (build 4083-46). Maybe some of the 9.0 issues folks are having are fixed.
I wish. Had to revert to OS8 as it was the only way to get HDR back again. Two days since a ticket was opened and have yet to hear back from them.
post #10932 of 11866 Old 12-01-2018, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey L View Post
I wish. Had to revert to OS8 as it was the only way to get HDR back again. Two days since a ticket was opened and have yet to hear back from them.
I have OS 9.0 build 4072 on a 4660 (2017 Ultra), and haven't had HDR issues. Maybe something went bad in that release, or on your particular unit I haven't gotten any updates bedyon the mentioned version, on either unit yet. I'll keep my eye out for it.
post #10933 of 11866 Old 12-03-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My 4660 (2017 Ultra) got software version 9.0.0 Build 4083 tonight. HDR appears to work fine. Someone mentioned having an 08x build on a 2018 Ultra breaking HDR. That doesn't seem to be the case here with a 2017, and it's the same hardware.
post #10934 of 11866 Old 12-03-2018, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Connection

Can you connect the roku ultra 4661(2018 ) to a receiver?
post #10935 of 11866 Old 12-03-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1219 View Post
Can you connect the roku ultra 4661(2018 ) to a receiver?
You can connect any Roku to a receiver via HDMI. If you need an optical connection, the older Ultra 4640 is your only option. If you need analog audio the Express+ (3910) is your only option. Note that the 4640 and 3910 are not current models, so the odds of finding a new one isn't that great.

I just noticed your avatar. Don't expect TrueHD or Master Audio from any Roku player, even if it's connected to a receiver via HDMI. Roku does not passthrough any lossless audio format, and in fact will only pass Dolby Digital or DTS as a multi-channel bitstream. Multi-channel AAC isn't supported either.
rakstr and galonzo like this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10936 of 11866 Old 12-03-2018, 05:44 PM

"Had to revert to OS8 as it was the only way to get HDR back again."

That's fine in the short term. Reverting back will not be an option once the OS9 gets out there a bit more.
post #10937 of 11866 Old 12-03-2018, 05:52 PM

"Is one replacement better than the other? "

They could care less about the replacements. They are going to tell you something is wrong with YOUR stuff because after all they tested the replacement ROKU and it didn't have any issues before they sent it.

This is ROKU's way of getting themselves out of the equation.

Makes it exponentially harder to prove to them their FW or hardware is the issue.

So any new devices bought of the shelf can't be relied upon to be error free in regards to HDCP? Only the ones they test?

I hope your replacement unit works fine. But as an option its all about ROKU and not about you.

The house always as the edge.......
post #10938 of 11866 Old 12-03-2018, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
You can connect any Roku to a receiver via HDMI. If you need an optical connection, the older Ultra 4640 is your only option. If you need analog audio the Express+ (3910) is your only option. Note that the 4640 and 3910 are not current models, so the odds of finding a new one isn't that great.

I just noticed your avatar. Don't expect TrueHD or Master Audio from any Roku player, even if it's connected to a receiver via HDMI. Roku does not passthrough any lossless audio format, and in fact will only pass Dolby Digital or DTS as a multi-channel bitstream. Multi-channel AAC isn't supported either.
Can you walk me thru the how? Thank You.
post #10939 of 11866 Old 12-03-2018, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1219 View Post
Can you walk me thru the how? Thank You.
It's just a standard HDMI device. If it's a Stick, just plug it directly into an available HDMI slot on your receiver. If you don't have enough space (it will stick out the back a ways) you can get an HDMI extension cable for free from Roku, or buy a longer cable elsewhere. Connect it to power (a spare USB port on the receiver may or may not provide enough power), put your receiver and TV on the correct inputs, and set it up as if it were plugged directly into the TV. If the TV and receiver support CEC, chances are good that once it's all set up, you can just hit the home button on the Roku remote and it will turn everything on and set the inputs automatically.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #10940 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hello, I'm a new ROKU user since they now have the Xfinity app beta that allows you to replace your xfinity box. I ran in some issues and hoping to get some help on here.

Initially, I bought the premier + stick and did the setup but the HDCP results from ROKU said HDCP 1.4. The stick itself is directly plugged into my Denon 6400 which is HDCP 2.2. It also says that it is 1080p. I have changed the cable and same deal. Mt projector is a 1080 projector. So I returned it and got the ultra; same thing. What am I doing wrong here?

The image while using both the premier + and the ultra seems to be sometimes grainy. I have a fast internet connection and the ultra was even hardwired; same result.

Any help would be good. Thanks
post #10941 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
Hello, I'm a new ROKU user since they now have the Xfinity app beta that allows you to replace your xfinity box. I ran in some issues and hoping to get some help on here.

Initially, I bought the premier + stick and did the setup but the HDCP results from ROKU said HDCP 1.4. The stick itself is directly plugged into my Denon 6400 which is HDCP 2.2. It also says that it is 1080p. I have changed the cable and same deal. Mt projector is a 1080 projector. So I returned it and got the ultra; same thing. What am I doing wrong here?

The image while using both the premier + and the ultra seems to be sometimes grainy. I have a fast internet connection and the ultra was even hardwired; same result.

Any help would be good. Thanks
I have an x6400 and w JVC projector and LG Oled connected to the receiver.

The cable to the projector is 30' and I could not get 4k on my projector from the Roku but the tv worked. I could 4k from a fire tv which had a very short cable. It seemed that I was losing a little signal from the Premier, so I tried a stick and that worked.

Do you have a 4k tv in the chain? It won't use hdcp 2.2 unless it detects a 4k display.
post #10942 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I have an x6400 and w JVC projector and LG Oled connected to the receiver.

The cable to the projector is 30' and I could not get 4k on my projector from the Roku but the tv worked. I could 4k from a fire tv which had a very short cable. It seemed that I was losing a little signal from the Premier, so I tried a stick and that worked.

Do you have a 4k tv in the chain? It won't use hdcp 2.2 unless it detects a 4k display.
I don't have any 4K in the mix since the projector is a 1080p. The cable to the projector from the AVR is 35ft and it's a 4K rated HDMI with Redmere. I'm debating whether to just go back to using a stick and save myself some $$ ; it was $59 for the stick plus and $99 for the ultra.

So bottom line it seems that unless i have a 4K projector or TV in the mix, it will only detect HDCP 1.4. Everyting else plays really well from my movies on VUDU to Netflix. Just the xfinity portion that sucks.

Last edited by Asgard1an; 12-04-2018 at 09:48 AM.
post #10943 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Another thing, I installed the PLEX app on the Roku and the interface is just not good at all compared to my samsung PLEX interface. The samsun give my movies in thumbnails while the ROKU I have to keep scrolling to the right with only 2 rows of movies. Can the layout on the ROKU be changed?
post #10944 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They are supposedly rewriting it and from what people say the ATV is the target look and feel for PLEX on everything but getting accurate information from PLEX is like pulling teeth. I use it for OTA/DVR and am considering a switch to EMBY. There is a beta/preview of the rewrite available.

Quote:
Another thing, I installed the PLEX app on the Roku and the interface is just not good at all compared to my samsung PLEX interface. The samsun give my movies in thumbnails while the ROKU I have to keep scrolling to the right with only 2 rows of movies. Can the layout on the ROKU be changed?
post #10945 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Have you guys noticed any difference between the Ultra and the Roku Streaming Stick+ in terms of connection? I know that the ultra can be hardwired but my wireless router is right next to the roku anyway.

Debating whether to return the ultra and get the stick +
post #10946 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Have you guys noticed any difference between the Ultra and the Roku Streaming Stick+ in terms of connection? I know that the ultra can be hardwired but my wireless router is right next to the roku anyway.

No problem with my Stick+ getting a solid 5GHz signal from my Time Capsule router two rooms over.
post #10947 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

You may have the router TOO close. Try putting some more distance between the two.

post #10948 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
You may have the router TOO close. Try putting some more distance between the two.
I've heard the same thing but have never had a problem. My router is 5' from my Roku stick, but has been closer at times.
post #10949 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I've heard the same thing but have never had a problem. My router is 5' from my Roku stick, but has been closer at times.
I think that is far enough, but a piece of foil is cheap.
post #10950 of 11866 Old 12-04-2018, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guys, just ran into a strange issue with my Roku account that probably not many of you have run into and wonder how I should proceed ?

I just purchased the Theme "Spacetime Theme" for $3.99 from my Premiere+. I entered my security Pin, and it downloaded the theme to my account, and I got the email confirming the transaction from ROKU.

I was able to set the theme on the Premiere+, and streaming stick. however when I went to change the theme on the 2017 Ultra under OS 9, it wanted me to re purchase the theme. So I removed theme from account and did a software update, and normally things I have purchased, I would be allowed to re-add again for no cost. However, this time, no matter which Roku, and OS version SpaceTime shows as I don't own, but I have confirmation that I do. I was wondering if this is simply a glitch in the system, or did I lose my purchase? How should I resolve this? Will simply reporting it to a Roku staff member on their forums be enough with the email as proof?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page