Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 368 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9755Likes

post #11011 of 11614 Old 12-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 225
My 2016 Ultra finally updated to OS 9.0.0 build 4084 today. So far, no issues. I watched a couple of programs on Amazon, and am currently watching the Montreal - Carolina hockey game on the NHL app. I also was able to play free content on Vudu, but have not tried anything from my library yet.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11012 of 11614 Old 12-14-2018, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I haven't tried VUDU free content in a while, but my library content works without issues. As far as the advanced audio options missing on some models goes, I'll let others who use the features work with Roku to find out what's going on. For what I still use the Roku for, everything has worked without issue after upgrading. When I did try Free content on VUDU several months ago, I didn't have any issues.
post #11013 of 11614 Old 12-14-2018, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
My 2016 Ultra finally updated to OS 9.0.0 build 4084 today. So far, no issues. I watched a couple of programs on Amazon, and am currently watching the Montreal - Carolina hockey game on the NHL app. I also was able to play free content on Vudu, but have not tried anything from my library yet.
FWIW, have you taken a look at ESPN+? Decent amount of NHL games there along with many other sports for $5/month.

Please enter password to view this signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11014 of 11614 Old 12-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
FWIW, have you taken a look at ESPN+? Decent amount of NHL games there along with many other sports for $5/month.

I am a Montreal Canadiens fan living in southeastern Michigan, so I subscribe to NHL.tv in order to get all the Habs games. Other than college football and Monday Night Football, I rarely watch ESPN for anything (and I get the ESPNs via my cable provider).
Sgooter likes this.
post #11015 of 11614 Old 12-14-2018, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I haven't tried VUDU free content in a while, but my library content works without issues. As far as the advanced audio options missing on some models goes, I'll let others who use the features work with Roku to find out what's going on. For what I still use the Roku for, everything has worked without issue after upgrading. When I did try Free content on VUDU several months ago, I didn't have any issues.
I had never watched any of the free Vudu content before, but just gave it a try after the upgrade for the benefit of @Johnson-from-Arizona , since he mentioned that wasn't working for him since the OS 9 upgrade.
post #11016 of 11614 Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I’ll check again today and see if Free stuff working. Some of the TV shows and movies that you want to see one and done kind of thing are worthwhile.

VUDU will toss in a few decent movies just to get you hooked on VUDU.

Free stuff worked before the upgrade."

Edit: Looks like that stupid Apple IOS spamware has invaded AVS again with a vengeance......

Free stuff still not working for me. First commercial plays, when goes to get 2nd, says "Error in playback information encountered" and stops.

Works as noted with the Sony and the Apple TV.

Might be the auto refresh/frame rate option. Will turn it off and try again when I can.

Last edited by Johnson-from-Arizona; 12-14-2018 at 09:23 AM.
post #11017 of 11614 Old 12-14-2018, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 99
That’s it, matching frame rate. Turn it on, Free stuff chokes. Turn it off, Free stuff plays fine.

Whatever the interplay is between VUDU and the ROKU in this regard has taken a step back to a bug that was in the release of 8.x... from this summer. I had to refresh my memory but I posted about that bug at the time, took some heat about it too until others confirmed it, on the ROKU form in July 2018.

They’ve brought that bug back....
post #11018 of 11614 Old 12-14-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got the 4K Matrix Trilogy today, and redeemed the included digital copies. Currently watching from disc, but will also use the Roku later to compare the VUDU versions to disc. I have to say that it looks REALLY nice. I think it even looks cleaner then the Blu-ray release box set I already have, which includes the Animatrix. I am guessing they didn't remaster that one, it wasn't included here. The Matrix is something I can really appreciate HDR with. It's content I'm familiar with, so can certainly see the differences.
galonzo likes this.
post #11019 of 11614 Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Thumbs up

Roku has made all their Themes free. I'm not sure if this is permanent.
roland6465, aaronwt and galonzo like this.
post #11020 of 11614 Old 12-14-2018, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
That’s it, matching frame rate. Turn it on, Free stuff chokes. Turn it off, Free stuff plays fine.

Whatever the interplay is between VUDU and the ROKU in this regard has taken a step back to a bug that was in the release of 8.x... from this summer. I had to refresh my memory but I posted about that bug at the time, took some heat about it too until others confirmed it, on the ROKU form in July 2018.

They’ve brought that bug back....
I just leave matching frame rate off all the time. I had too many issues with it turned on.
post #11021 of 11614 Old 12-15-2018, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just leave matching frame rate off all the time. I had too many issues with it turned on.
I really don't notice a difference between 24p / 30p, and 60p. I have the Apple TVs set to match framerate, and the disc players set to auto switch to 24p for blu-ray, and other content, but not DVD, and honestly, with a majority of my content, I really don't see a difference.

I think dealing with different aspect ratios is more frustrating, There isn't one technology that can display them all natively without bars. At least not for the home.
mattg3 likes this.
post #11022 of 11614 Old 12-15-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @MacinMan View Post
I really don't notice a difference between 24p / 30p, and 60p. I have the Apple TVs set to match framerate, and the disc players set to auto switch to 24p for blu-ray, and other content, but not DVD, and honestly, with a majority of my content, I really don't see a difference...
The biggest problem I have with frame rates is commercials or some trailers both on my ATV4K and my Ultra. Of course my problem is probably worse because I'm going through an Oppo 203 to split the AV signal on my Ultra As a result I watch shows with commercials w/o native fresh on my Ultra and matching frame movies on my Apple.
post #11023 of 11614 Old 12-15-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
The biggest problem I have with frame rates is commercials or some trailers both on my ATV4K and my Ultra. Of course my problem is probably worse because I'm going through an Oppo 203 to split the AV signal on my Ultra As a result I watch shows with commercials w/o native fresh on my Ultra and matching frame movies on my Apple.
Same setup here, and I finally got the 9.0 update to my P+, and @J450N will be happy to hear that with native-refresh enabled, I noticed the extra-long handshake has now been fixed (in my case, anyway) when Netflix would start a preview in the menu, or when switching from the menu to the selected feature (we were discussing a longer-than-usual handshake when the refresh rate would change a while back in this thread).

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #11024 of 11614 Old 12-15-2018, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Something I noticed here that I believe was also discussed back some time ago in this thread but I'll mention it again for what its worth..

After the v9 update to my 2016 Ultra, my Sony 800D television began suffering the random wake-from-sleep issue again (I could turn off the TV and then a minute or two or three later, the TV would come back alive on its own).

After forcing a hard reboot by power cycling the Ultra, the problem was resolved.
post #11025 of 11614 Old 12-15-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

On the topic of the recent re-release of the Matrix Trilogy, I am happy to report Warner released the new Blu-ray copies as AVC, so will be much nicer to deal with for streaming then VC-1. Also tried a little bit of the VUDU copy with the Utrla this morning and the streaming version looks pretty good, though I believe as always the physical media is better.
post #11026 of 11614 Old 12-15-2018, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
PS Vue is available on Roku. I've been using it for almost a year and it works fine.
I just realized I don't need a streaming box for my sons room, as he'll have his PS4 to stream from.... DOH!
Sgooter likes this.

(R&L: Infinity Beta 50) (Center: Infinity Beta C360) (Surround Side & Back: Infinity IW ERS 210 x 4) (TM: Infinity IC ERS 110 x 2) (Sub: Def Tech SC1)
(7.2.2 Config.) (AVR: Denon-4500) (Audiosource Amp 110 for TM's) (BRP: Pioneer 80FD) (Nvidia Shield TV) (Display: LG-65C9)
post #11027 of 11614 Old 12-15-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm streaming the new rips of the Matrix Trilogy with Plex, currently using a Roku. Was curious what DirectStream is vs DirectPlay? both audio and video for the new versions say DirectStream instead of DirectPlay. The good news is, unlike the VC-1 versions, there is no mention of transcoding.
post #11028 of 11614 Old 12-15-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Roku has made all their Themes free. I'm not sure if this is permanent.

Thanks for the head's up. I've had my eye on the vinyl one.
galonzo likes this.
post #11029 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey all, I have an unusual situation here, and wanted to see if someone here could direct me to the correct part of the forum. It looks like I may have an issue where my wireless subwoofer in the living room is causing electrical noise and causing sensitive electronics to act up.

So this would more likely be an area for an electrician to answer the question vs home theater. Was wondering if AVS had any electrical specific threads for such issues?

Thanks.
post #11030 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Hey all, I have an unusual situation here, and wanted to see if someone here could direct me to the correct part of the forum. It looks like I may have an issue where my wireless subwoofer in the living room is causing electrical noise and causing sensitive electronics to act up.

So this would more likely be an area for an electrician to answer the question vs home theater. Was wondering if AVS had any electrical specific threads for such issues?

Thanks.
What kind of sub? I have a wireless klipsch SW-112 and while its not messing with my other electronics I do get a drummer boy tap tap tap on occasion. I havent solved this issue and the klipsch forums didnt know either but i'm thinking when i dont have the volume up causes the problem. That or wifi interference. no clue lol
post #11031 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
You may have the router TOO close. Try putting some more distance between the two.
My router is 12 ft away and I have the same problem when using the ROKU premier wired to my router. Seems strange.
post #11032 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I'll never say that wikipedia is any kind of authoritative source but I only see a hard wired network option on one version of the Premiere+ (4630). Also it appears that the wireless capabilities are all B/G/N for this model through the years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku
https://www.roku.com/products/roku-premiere

What would be helpful (if you want help) is to tell us your problem, your router (make/model), and more about your setup (make/model of other equipment and installation). You're now at least two levels of indirection away from the original problem statement and asking people to go research your statement just to know what you're asking.

Make it as easy as possible for someone to help you.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
My router is 12 ft away and I have the same problem when using the ROKU premier wired to my router. Seems strange.
naustin likes this.
post #11033 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Two suggestions send a PM to the moderators and/or post your specific problem with details in the Speaker section. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/ Good luck.
rockaway1836 likes this.
post #11034 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
What kind of sub? I have a wireless klipsch SW-112 and while its not messing with my other electronics I do get a drummer boy tap tap tap on occasion. I havent solved this issue and the klipsch forums didnt know either but i'm thinking when i dont have the volume up causes the problem. That or wifi interference. no clue lol
Just to quickly answer, It's a Vizio 5.1 sound bar with wireless sub and rear speakers. Problem was random noise on the living room circuit disturbing the UPS making it go crazy and making me concerned it was going to shut down.

There are a couple factors here and it's mainly to do with the home theater setup that's putting electrical noise on the line, and I've narrowed it down.

So, if I have any other issues to bring up, I'll do what @naustin said and start a new thread, or PM a moderator.
post #11035 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting you bring this up. I've been having an issue where a UPS on the same circuit as the Family Room electronics cabinet "switches" (relay clicks and front panel display lights) periodically when I power up the TV/AVR/... It's on the other side of the room. I've blamed the AVR surge but now that I think of it, this began to happen when I added my ROKU and has persisted across the replacement of my A1020 with a TSR-7850. The TV is a Vizio M651d-A2

Maybe I'll have to do some "process of elimination" tests.

Quote:
Just to quickly answer, It's a Vizio 5.1 sound bar with wireless sub and rear speakers. Problem was random noise on the living room circuit disturbing the UPS making it go crazy and making me concerned it was going to shut down.

There are a couple factors here and it's mainly to do with the home theater setup that's putting electrical noise on the line, and I've narrowed it down.

So, if I have any other issues to bring up, I'll do what @naustin said and start a new thread, or PM a moderator.
post #11036 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Interesting you bring this up. I've been having an issue where a UPS on the same circuit as the Family Room electronics cabinet "switches" (relay clicks and front panel display lights) periodically when I power up the TV/AVR/... It's on the other side of the room. I've blamed the AVR surge but now that I think of it, this began to happen when I added my ROKU and has persisted across the replacement of my A1020 with a TSR-7850. The TV is a Vizio M651d-A2

Maybe I'll have to do some "process of elimination" tests.
Roku doesn't seem to be in this mess, at least not yet. The two 3 things that contribute in this case are:

1. surge protector with usb charging ports (which I have removed.)
2. Apple TV 4k,, which I have also disconnected.

3. Wireless subwoofer which I have unplugged.

The TV, the , the Sony UHD disc player, the Roku, and the ethernet switch, don't seem to contribute as much.

I have also set the UPS sensitivity to lowest possible settings. Let me know what you find out in your setup.
post #11037 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also have an ATV4K connected.

The ATV, ROKU, ethernet switch and USB exhaust fan are connected to one of these below. The UPS issue mentioned happened before I added this device.
https://flash.newegg.com/product/N82E16842301621

EVERYTHING in the cabinet is connected to a Monoprice Power Director (see picture, no longer available). The Vizio is on the same circuit but connected to a separate outlet via a surge protector.

The UPS which is "triggered" on the other side of the room is this Pure Sine Wave model. It also was "triggered' when I used it in the cabinet instead of the above smaller battery unit. Right now with the Holidays there is only a cell phone charge cord and laptop plugged into the "triggered" UPS.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-238-_-Product

Quote:
Roku doesn't seem to be in this mess, at least not yet. The two 3 things that contribute in this case are:

1. surge protector with usb charging ports (which I have removed.)
2. Apple TV 4k,, which I have also disconnected.

3. Wireless subwoofer which I have unplugged.

The TV, the , the Sony UHD disc player, the Roku, and the ethernet switch, don't seem to contribute as much.

I have also set the UPS sensitivity to lowest possible settings. Let me know what you find out in your setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MP Power.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	2498318  
post #11038 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Question for those who have experienced HDCP errors with framerate auto switching enabled. Would you say that the latest build, Roku OS 9, build 4084 I think, has eliminated those?

I ask because I finally got my 4660 Roku Ultra replacement, 2017 model, (prescreened for HDCP?) and I've yet to duplicate one in the usual way. I'm not done with testing all apps but I'm wondering if it's the latest update or the replacement that improved this on my setup? I didn't get to test the latest build on my previous Roku Ultra replacement. I've had a few replacements with little difference.

I used a different HDMI port this time: HDMI 4. I've always avoided that because Logitech didn't support that on all Samsung TV models. I've got support for that now and also, now all ports are filled with devices for the first time. I've only had the HDCP errors on the Roku Ultra connected directly to TV on the other ports with one port or more ports open. But if this is finally remedied, I'm not sure why, unless I can confidently say the update or the replacement fixed it? I'll update this if I get errors.

Roku had long thought that my 2015 TV just isn't supported but something seems to have finally changed and I'm curious. How?

So far, my testing had focused mainly on Hulu. I still see major issues playing extras clips of episodes in 24p. I can easily duplicate lip sync errors and the odd zoom issues. Restarting or using the restart option in these clips helps much. And changing the options to off for auto play didn't help this time. Hulu finally acknowledged this is an ongoing issue with the Roku updates. This is why I prefer to use the ATV4K for Hulu but check this often hoping it's finally squashed. But not yet.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #11039 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Question for those who have experienced HDCP errors with framerate auto switching enabled. Would you say that the latest build, Roku OS 9, build 4084 I think, has eliminated those?

I ask because I finally got my 4660 Roku Ultra replacement, 2017 model, (prescreened for HDCP?) and I've yet to duplicate one in the usual way. I'm not done with testing all apps but I'm wondering if it's the latest update or the replacement that improved this on my setup? I didn't get to test the latest build on my previous Roku Ultra replacement. I've had a few replacements with little difference.

I used a different HDMI port this time: HDMI 4. I've always avoided that because Logitech didn't support that on all Samsung TV models. I've got support for that now and also, now all ports are filled with devices for the first time. I've only had the HDCP errors on the Roku Ultra connected directly to TV on the other ports with one port or more ports open. But if this is finally remedied, I'm not sure why, unless I can confidently say the update or the replacement fixed it? I'll update this if I get errors.

Roku had long thought that my 2015 TV just isn't supported but something seems to have finally changed and I'm curious. How?

So far, my testing had focused mainly on Hulu. I still see major issues playing extras clips of episodes in 24p. I can easily duplicate lip sync errors and the odd zoom issues. Restarting or using the restart option in these clips helps much. And changing the options to off for auto play didn't help this time. Hulu finally acknowledged this is an ongoing issue with the Roku updates. This is why I prefer to use the ATV4K for Hulu but check this often hoping it's finally squashed. But not yet.

I haven't seen any HDCP issues since I got version 9. That is with an Ultra 4640. I was getting them occasionally before, but that player is no longer connected to a 4K TV, just an older 1080 plasma with HDMI 1.4.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11040 of 11614 Old 12-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I haven't seen any HDCP issues since I got version 9. That is with an Ultra 4640. I was getting them occasionally before, but that player is no longer connected to a 4K TV, just an older 1080 plasma with HDMI 1.4.
I had the HDCP in Roku OS 9 up until I boxed it to return to Roku. The HDCP errors in Roku OS 9 have a black background rather than purple.

Right out of the box the replacement found the update during setup and applied it. Like most updates, this one required a power cycle after update because it wouldn't boot to a ready screen after update and reboot. It hung at next setup screen after reboot. I say that because many here note that it's best to pull the plug after an update to avoid weird issues. This one actually froze on initial boot.

Anyhow, I didn't get to see the previous build on this Roku to get an idea if HDCP would duplicate on same build the prior Roku replacement was seeing them with on my setup.

Anyone seen the black bg HDCP error and have those disappear with build 4084? They were momentary but Roku support was saying that's not normal and wanted to prescreen a replacement. Maybe they did? They took their time replacing it. But it's hard to imagine the 4 or more preceding it were so defective. I only paid for the one and original 2016 Roku Ultra.

I thought hard on just regifting this one (seeing it was 4660, not 4661 with the nice earbuds) while it was still factory sealed. Sealed? Yes it was. I still have more apps to test; looks to be a keeper.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page