Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 369 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9767Likes

post #11041 of 11637 Old 12-18-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
... Like most updates, this one required a power cycle after update because it wouldn't boot to a ready screen after update and reboot. It hung at next setup screen after reboot. I say that because many here note that it's best to pull the plug after an update to avoid weird issues. This one actually froze on initial boot. ...
(knock on wood) I don't remember ever encountering that problem. Unless there is an interface change, I generally have to go to the settings menu to find out if one of my devices has updated itself. I have had the occasional crash or [slowdown] prompting a reboot when I am using the device. Lately that has been mostly captions on the CW channel (generally related to commercials).

v/r,
C-F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11042 of 11637 Old 12-19-2018, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
@rakstr Not to take the forum too far off topic, but I thought I would give you brief results of my testing.

The following items were messing with the current in the living room circuit disturbing the UPS:

1. Apple TV 4K
Netgear gigabit switch
Surge protector with USB charging ports.

After changing the location of the wireless subwoofer, and where it was plugged in, that doesn't seem to be the culprit anymore.

So, the Roku, TV, UHD blu-ray Player, and the sound system seem to be ok now.

See if your UPS has sensitivity settings that you can change, and put it on the lowest available. May also help to solve the issue. (You may need to shut it down, and enter the service menu.)

Hope this info helps you as well.
rakstr likes this.
post #11043 of 11637 Old 12-21-2018, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 99
ROKU forum filling up with complaints and bugs about OS 9. My goodness.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11044 of 11637 Old 12-21-2018, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Well all I know is DTV Now is not working correctly with my Roku Ultra. The guide takes forever to load, and when it finally does load it starts at the first channel in alphabetical order. One second the guide will come up in a split second and then all of a sudden it'll take 15 seconds and not at the channel I say on. Once it does that it won't go back to fast loading.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #11045 of 11637 Old 12-21-2018, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 4682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Well all I know is DTV Now is not working correctly with my Roku Ultra. The guide takes forever to load, and when it finally does load it starts at the first channel in alphabetical order. One second the guide will come up in a split second and then all of a sudden it'll take 15 seconds and not at the channel I say on. Once it does that it won't go back to fast loading.

Mines super snappy and fast over here homie
post #11046 of 11637 Old 12-21-2018, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Mines super snappy and fast over here homie
Well lucky you. Can we trade ours out so we can see if it's just my unit?

post #11047 of 11637 Old 12-21-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked: 4682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Well lucky you. Can we trade ours out so we can see if it's just my unit?

Gotta try the hardwire dawg!
post #11048 of 11637 Old 12-25-2018, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Thanks to a comment by @aaronwt , I have found some new codec support with my Ultra. Bear in mind that I have the 4640, which contains a Dolby Digital encoder that no other Roku player has.

Testing both Plex and Roku Media Player, I can now play Dolby TrueHD audio without transcoding. That's not to say that the lossless audio is being bitstreamed, as my AVR is indicated a DD+ audio stream. Somehow the Ultra is taking the Dolby Digital core audio and stripping out the TrueHD layer. I don't know what this does with an Atmos track, as I don't have my Ultra connected to a 4K set and Plex insisted on transcoding a 4K video, even though the Ultra should have been able to take the H.265 video without issue. I forgot to try it with RMP.

However, with DTS it's a different story. in the past, the Roku would stream the DTS audio core and strip out the Master Audio layer. But several updates ago that seems to have stopped working. If the audio is standard DTS, both Plex and RMP sent the audio through to my AVR. But Master Audio tracks I could see Plex was transcoding to PCM, and the Ultra turns it into DD+. RMP would refuse to play the tracks, stating that the file was unplayable. However, if I enabled audio transcoding on my Serviio console, the file plays fine, just with standard DD audio as transcoded by the server.

So, like MPEG-2 support, Roku has slipped some new codec support into the firmware without telling anyone. It's something we have to stumble across. Again, I have the 4640, so I can't say for sure it works with the 4660 or any other of the newest Roku players.
naustin likes this.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11049 of 11637 Old 12-25-2018, 07:44 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8978 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Thanks to a comment by @aaronwt , I have found some new codec support with my Ultra. Bear in mind that I have the 4640, which contains a Dolby Digital encoder that no other Roku player has.

Testing both Plex and Roku Media Player, I can now play Dolby TrueHD audio without transcoding. That's not to say that the lossless audio is being bitstreamed, as my AVR is indicated a DD+ audio stream. Somehow the Ultra is taking the Dolby Digital core audio and stripping out the TrueHD layer. I don't know what this does with an Atmos track, as I don't have my Ultra connected to a 4K set and Plex insisted on transcoding a 4K video, even though the Ultra should have been able to take the H.265 video without issue. I forgot to try it with RMP.

However, with DTS it's a different story. in the past, the Roku would stream the DTS audio core and strip out the Master Audio layer. But several updates ago that seems to have stopped working. If the audio is standard DTS, both Plex and RMP sent the audio through to my AVR. But Master Audio tracks I could see Plex was transcoding to PCM, and the Ultra turns it into DD+. RMP would refuse to play the tracks, stating that the file was unplayable. However, if I enabled audio transcoding on my Serviio console, the file plays fine, just with standard DD audio as transcoded by the server.

So, like MPEG-2 support, Roku has slipped some new codec support into the firmware without telling anyone. It's something we have to stumble across. Again, I have the 4640, so I can't say for sure it works with the 4660 or any other of the newest Roku players.
Yes. I get 7.1 DD+ from my Streaming STick+(as well as my 2016 Ultra) from Atmos/DOlby True HD tracks with Plex..

I still get the DTS core from the DTS:X/DTS-HD MA tracks

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11050 of 11637 Old 12-25-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. I get 7.1 DD+ from my Streaming STick+(as well as my 2016 Ultra) from Atmos/DOlby True HD tracks with Plex..

I still get the DTS core from the DTS:X/DTS-HD MA tracks
I'll have to see if I've missed a setting that will tell it to not transcode the DTS MA/X tracks to PCM. Not sure if it would be on the server or the client. Don't recall seeing such a setting on the latest Plex channel for Roku. If the Stick+ is working that way, the 4660/4661 Ultra should as well. Maybe the Premiere+ but who knows? Someone that has one will have to test it.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11051 of 11637 Old 12-25-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 175
To get it to not transcode MPEG2 (OTA), you need to set the Video -> Local Quality to "Original".

Also, PLEX is rather unstable on the ROKU at the moment with all the rewrite in progress. Seems they just recently decided to heed the warning from October of 2015 that ROKU was deprecating some APIs At least that's their story du jour!

They've released a new Preview channel as well as a "classic" with the old interfaces after the uproar over the last month. Fro me the new Preview is more stable than the December channel release.

Quote:
I'll have to see if I've missed a setting that will tell it to not transcode the DTS MA/X tracks to PCM. Not sure if it would be on the server or the client. Don't recall seeing such a setting on the latest Plex channel for Roku. If the Stick+ is working that way, the 4660/4661 Ultra should as well. Maybe the Premiere+ but who knows? Someone that has one will have to test it.
post #11052 of 11637 Old 12-25-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
To get it to not transcode MPEG2 (OTA), you need to set the Video -> Local Quality to "Original".

Also, PLEX is rather unstable on the ROKU at the moment with all the rewrite in progress. Seems they just recently decided to heed the warning from October of 2015 that ROKU was deprecating some APIs At least that's their story du jour!

They've released a new Preview channel as well as a "classic" with the old interfaces after the uproar over the last month. For me the new Preview is more stable than the December channel release.
Yes, I have Local Quality set to original. No problem with MPEG-2 transcoding. It's playing native as it should. It's the DTS-MA/:X audio tracks that are being transcoded into PCM, and my Roku 4640 again transcodes it to DD+. aaronwt is getting the DTS core, but I'm not.

Dan
post #11053 of 11637 Old 12-26-2018, 06:10 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Yes, I have Local Quality set to original. No problem with MPEG-2 transcoding. It's playing native as it should. It's the DTS-MA/:X audio tracks that are being transcoded into PCM, and my Roku 4640 again transcodes it to DD+. aaronwt is getting the DTS core, but I'm not.
I remember setting Plex on my Rokus to force direct playback many months ago. Maybe that is why I'm getting DTS?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

post #11054 of 11637 Old 12-26-2018, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Plex on the ROKU has issues with DTS. Several post on their forum about it.
post #11055 of 11637 Old 12-26-2018, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
Yeah, that's why I was surprised that Aaron was getting DTS from an Master Audio track. I can get DTS if the audio track is "normal" DTS, but not the lossless track. No biggie for me, since I use a Shield now on my 4K TV, and that room has an AVR that supports Atmos/DTS:X. The Roku is on a 1080 plasma for the time being. I'll probably replace it some time next year with a 4K set, but that means a new AVR as well, so it has to wait a while.

Dan
post #11056 of 11637 Old 12-26-2018, 08:19 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson-from-Arizona View Post
While I don't use my Rokus as my main playback device for my UHD BD rips. I use a Shield for that. The UHD BD titles I've watched with DTS:X/DTS-HD MA tracks with Plex from my ROkus have played back the DTS core without any issues.

And I have tried a couple of 2K BD rips with DTS-HD MA tracks, and those played back fine as well with DTS on my Streaming Stick+ and 2016 Ultra.

post #11057 of 11637 Old 12-26-2018, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

More experimenting with Plex and my 4640 Ultra. The first video I played with DTS-MA (1080) was being transcoded to DD+. I stopped playback and switched to the second audio track, which was straight DTS. My AVR now showed DTS audio. I stopped again and switched back to the DTS-MA track, and now the AVR was showing DTS. Switching to other videos, both 1080 and UHD, and DTS-MA now always played the DTS core track. Maybe I triggered something in the Plex app that woke it up.

Switching to RMP and streaming from my DLNA server, I tried the same thing. I disabled transcoding for the Roku. I could play some DTS-MA videos with DTS appearing in the AVR. However, I still encountered some that began playback, then showed a playback error. When I transcode the DTS-MA track to DD the same video plays fine. I have the same thing with TrueHD tracks. Some will play, with the AVR showing DD+ audio, while others give the same playback errors. The most problematic videos for me have always been my Star Wars Blu Ray rips. They play fine with transcoded audio, but will never even begin to play if I don't transcode the DTS-MA track.

As a reminder, every one of these files play fine with the Nvidia Shield, so there's nothing directly wrong with the rips themselves. Several firmware updates ago, the Roku would play most of the DTS-MA tracks without transcoding. So they broke something in a previous update.

Dan
post #11058 of 11637 Old 12-26-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Which Plex channel are you using. 3 are available for the moment on the ROKU
Quote:
More experimenting with Plex and my 4640 Ultra. The first video I played with DTS-MA (1080) was being transcoded to DD+. I stopped playback and switched to the second audio track, which was straight DTS. My AVR now showed DTS audio. I stopped again and switched back to the DTS-MA track, and now the AVR was showing DTS. Switching to other videos, both 1080 and UHD, and DTS-MA now always played the DTS core track. Maybe I triggered something in the Plex app that woke it up.

Switching to RMP and streaming from my DLNA server, I tried the same thing. I disabled transcoding for the Roku. I could play some DTS-MA videos with DTS appearing in the AVR. However, I still encountered some that began playback, then showed a playback error. When I transcode the DTS-MA track to DD the same video plays fine. I have the same thing with TrueHD tracks. Some will play, with the AVR showing DD+ audio, while others give the same playback errors. The most problematic videos for me have always been my Star Wars Blu Ray rips. They play fine with transcoded audio, but will never even begin to play if I don't transcode the DTS-MA track.

As a reminder, every one of these files play fine with the Nvidia Shield, so there's nothing directly wrong with the rips themselves. Several firmware updates ago, the Roku would play most of the DTS-MA tracks without transcoding. So they broke something in a previous update.
post #11059 of 11637 Old 12-26-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Wow, Plex on the Roku is totally f'ed up Plex Retro does get playlists back, but even it does not play UHD HDR rips correctly on my Roku Premier+. Never passes HDR. This has always worked in the past. Thankfully I also have a Shield for UHD and it is still working properly. My Roku sticks can use the Retro version since those TV's are just 1080p.

Forced updates just plain suck. I'm running StopUpdates10 to kill Win10 updates for the same reasons. Too bad you can't do that on everything.

Edit: I figured out the HDR problem. Somehow the global default for local playback was not set to "original" so it was transcoding everything. Pretty sure I didn't change that.

Last edited by talon95; 12-26-2018 at 05:48 PM.
post #11060 of 11637 Old 12-26-2018, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Which Plex channel are you using. 3 are available for the moment on the ROKU
Just the "normal" one that has the most recent update. I personally don't care for the changes in the UI, but since I only use Plex when I'm traveling, using my Stick, I can ignore it.

Dan
post #11061 of 11637 Old 12-26-2018, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
Wow, Plex on the Roku is totally f'ed up Plex Retro does get playlists back, but even it does not play UHD HDR rips correctly on my Roku Premier+. Never passes HDR. This has always worked in the past. Thankfully I also have a Shield for UHD and it is still working properly. My Roku sticks can use the Retro version since those TV's are just 1080p.

Forced updates just plain suck. I'm running StopUpdates10 to kill Win10 updates for the same reasons. Too bad you can't do that on everything.

Edit: I figured out the HDR problem. Somehow the global default for local playback was not set to "original" so it was transcoding everything. Pretty sure I didn't change that.
I've changed the global settings on both the server and the client to always force direct play, and at original quality. My Ultra is playing my UHD rips with no issues. Of course, it's connected to a 1080 plasma, so HDR looks pretty terrible on it. I'm going to have to break down and finally replace that TV this coming year. I have to wait for the government to go back to work, though. I need a paycheck to do stuff like that...

Dan
post #11062 of 11637 Old 12-26-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The "old look" is gone.

Try the Preview, it's the most stable for now IMO
Quote:
Just the "normal" one that has the most recent update. I personally don't care for the changes in the UI, but since I only use Plex when I'm traveling, using my Stick, I can ignore it.
post #11063 of 11637 Old 12-27-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone happen to know if Home theater gear can generate line noise due to dirty power supplies, be it Roku, or anything else? While I've solved my initial issue, was wondering if getting a surge protector with EMI, and RFI filters will also improve stability of Home theater setups, and eliminate any noise they might put back onto the circuit. Was also wondering (while this hasn't been an issue for me personally) if it would also improve the stability of streaming devices such as Roku players. I've read other posts from people who had streaming issues with older Roku players, and putting a noise filter equipped surge protector on the setup solved those issues. Just getting a handle on how I have things setup in here, so nothing will conflict with each other at all going forward.
post #11064 of 11637 Old 12-27-2018, 12:48 PM
UHD Addict

No idea. But I've always used my streaming devices and other electronic devices connected to a UPS. I've had no issues with noise connected to my APC UPSs over the last twenty years.
rdgcss likes this.

post #11065 of 11637 Old 12-27-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No idea. But I've always used my streaming devices and other electronic devices connected to a UPS. I've had no issues with noise connected to my APC UPSs over the last twenty years.
I've considered a second smaller UPS for the Home theater devices. My concern has been whether or not it's overkill or not. Unlike a full desktop OS these devices contain no way for the UPS to know when to tell them to turn off.

Since Devices such as streaming boxes have no need to be safely shutdown like a computer, a UPS really has no advantage here over a good surge protector. So was just curious what people used to clean power in their home theater setups.
post #11066 of 11637 Old 12-27-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Since Devices such as streaming boxes have no need to be safely shutdown like a computer, a UPS really has no advantage here over a good surge protector. So was just curious what people used to clean power in their home theater setups.
I have to disagree with you on this. A UPS does far more than a surge protector. Even a high quality surge protector has no ability to clean the power. I can clamp a voltage spike, but that's about it. It does nothing for a power sag, which can cause just as much damage as a spike. And a protector does nothing for brief power interruptions, while a UPS makes them invisible to your electronics. I do not consider a UPS overkill for non-computer electronic applications.
aaronwt, rakstr, tngiloy and 6 others like this.

Dan
post #11067 of 11637 Old 12-27-2018, 10:24 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
I'm using a Roku 3 now and am looking to get HDR capability added to my streaming. Is the Ultra's Wi Fi better performing than the Premiere. Also I like the idea of having the Ultra's Ethernet capability in case I have trouble streaming HDR using Wi-Fi. I'm not interested in the voice remote or the ear buds. Any suggestions?

I'm also curious about what happens if I go to Netflix and select a Dolby Vision title. Will Netflix drop down DV to HDR10?

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #11068 of 11637 Old 12-28-2018, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I'm using a Roku 3 now and am looking to get HDR capability added to my streaming. Is the Ultra's Wi Fi better performing than the Premiere. Also I like the idea of having the Ultra's Ethernet capability in case I have trouble streaming HDR using Wi-Fi. I'm not interested in the voice remote or the ear buds. Any suggestions?

I'm also curious about what happens if I go to Netflix and select a Dolby Vision title. Will Netflix drop down DV to HDR10?
Depends on which premiere you comparing? The 2016 Premiere (4620) has same WiFi as the Roku Ultra 2016 though 2018 (4640, 4660 and 4661 which is a/b/g/n/ac dual-band [MIMO]).

The 2018 Premiere (3920) adds HDR but WiFi is limited to b/g/n.

The 2016 Premiere didn't have HDR so maybe you meant to compare the 2018 Premiere to Ultra? If so, the WiFi is better on the Ultra. But also if looking for HDR, the 2016 Premiere doesn't have it.

The only streamer I'm aware of that converts Dolby Vision to HDR10 is the Apple TV 4K. But I'm not sure if your TV supports Dolby Vision? If you're interested in that, you might consider another product because Roku streamers are limited to HDR10 only. But there are Roku TVs that do Dolby Vision.

For model feature comparison and more about Roku TVs, check this site
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.
post #11069 of 11637 Old 12-28-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

@brotony 's answers are spot on. With a Roku you will only see "HDR" in the Netflix or Vudu header since Roku doesn't currently support Dolby Vision. Movies that show Dolby Vision on a Visio PQ or ATVK4 will only show and play via the Roku as HDR10 w/o issue.
galonzo likes this.
post #11070 of 11637 Old 12-28-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 227
BTW - I see only a tiny bit of difference between Dolby Vision and HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page