Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 370 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9767Likes

post #11071 of 11639 Old 12-28-2018, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
@brotony 's answers are spot on. With a Roku you will only see "HDR" in the Netflix or Vudu header since Roku doesn't currently support Dolby Vision. Movies that show Dolby Vision on a Visio PQ or ATVK4 will only show and play via the Roku as HDR10 w/o issue.
@htwaits , in fact, this is why I prefer Netflix via the Roku (which goes through my Oppo 203); you get the native HDR-10 stream rather than converted HDR-10 from the DV stream via the ATV4K. My display doesn't support DV currently.
brotony likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11072 of 11639 Old 12-28-2018, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello all,

My Roku Ultra in the basement works great when plugged directly into the TV. When I plug in into my Marantz though, I get no video. The sound is working great since I hear the Roku bing when it starts up and when I move the cursor around. It has the latest OS installed (I believe it is 9).

I have tried various HDMI cables (that have been manually validated by me using other sources).
I have tried various HDMI input slots on the receiver (that have been manually validated by me using other sources).
I have tried starting and stopping the TV, Receiver and Roku in various orders.

Nothing has worked, I just can't get anything other than a black screen when I go through the receiver. I swear this worked when I first set it up, but I haven't used it in months. My FIL has moved in with us and I HAVE to get him on the TV in the basement for my sanity.

Does the brain trust here have any suggestions? Thanks a lot.
post #11073 of 11639 Old 12-28-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
Hello all,

My Roku Ultra in the basement works great when plugged directly into the TV. When I plug in into my Marantz though, I get no video. The sound is working great since I hear the Roku bing when it starts up and when I move the cursor around. It has the latest OS installed (I believe it is 9)....
Maybe you are setup for HDR on the Roku and either the cables or AVR don't support it. Are your cables 18 Gbps premium certified. You might want to try the Marantz AVR thread as well. Another option is plug the Roku into the TV and use ARC to your AVR.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11074 of 11639 Old 12-28-2018, 01:03 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Hello all,

My Roku Ultra in the basement works great when plugged directly into the TV. When I plug in into my Marantz though, I get no video. The sound is working great since I hear the Roku bing when it starts up and when I move the cursor around. It has the latest OS installed (I believe it is 9).

I have tried various HDMI cables (that have been manually validated by me using other sources).
I have tried various HDMI input slots on the receiver (that have been manually validated by me using other sources).

Nothing has worked, I just can't get anything other than a black screen when I go through the receiver. I swear this worked when I first set it up, but I haven't used it in months. My FIL has moved in with us and I HAVE to get him on the TV in the basement for my sanity.

Given the low cost and higher reliability you should check out HDMI cables with this label.

They have Certified cables at 36 AWG that are more flexible with less strain on the connection up to eight feet. It's the label that assures better reliability. No individual HDMI cable is fool proof and no installation will verify that a cable will work in a different installation.
galonzo and naustin like this.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #11075 of 11639 Old 12-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotony View Post
Depends on which premiere you comparing? The 2016 Premiere (4620) has same WiFi as the Roku Ultra 2016 though 2018 (4640, 4660 and 4661 which is a/b/g/n/ac dual-band [MIMO]).

The 2018 Premiere (3920) adds HDR but WiFi is limited to b/g/n.

The 2016 Premiere didn't have HDR so maybe you meant to compare the 2018 Premiere to Ultra? If so, the WiFi is better on the Ultra. But also if looking for HDR, the 2016 Premiere doesn't have it.

The only streamer I'm aware of that converts Dolby Vision to HDR10 is the Apple TV 4K. But I'm not sure if your TV supports Dolby Vision? If you're interested in that, you might consider another product because Roku streamers are limited to HDR10 only. But there are Roku TVs that do Dolby Vision.

For model feature comparison and more about Roku TVs, check this site
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
@brotony 's answers are spot on. With a Roku you will only see "HDR" in the Netflix or Vudu header since Roku doesn't currently support Dolby Vision. Movies that show Dolby Vision on a Visio PQ or ATVK4 will only show and play via the Roku as HDR10 w/o issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
@htwaits , in fact, this is why I prefer Netflix via the Roku (which goes through my Oppo 203); you get the native HDR-10 stream rather than converted HDR-10 from the DV stream via the ATV4K. My display doesn't support DV currently.
Thanks guys. I'll order the Ultra today.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #11076 of 11639 Old 12-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Are you using a Harmony remote with your Oppo 203 "HDMI IN" setup for your Roku? I have three sources going through the HDMI IN port but I haven't been able to come up with a clean Harmony Activity to get the HDMI IN signal directly from the Activity's commands. I wind up at the OPPO Home option, then I do a Harmony "Help" and the setting changes to HDMI IN and I'm connected. I've run out of ideas for getting the OPPO to go straight to HDMI IN.

If this is off topic for this thread a PM would be fine.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #11077 of 11639 Old 12-28-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Sorry @htwaits , no Harmony remote here.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #11078 of 11639 Old 12-28-2018, 01:30 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Sorry @htwaits , no Harmony remote here.
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't bother but trying to explain it to my wife is hard.
galonzo likes this.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #11079 of 11639 Old 12-28-2018, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Are you using a Harmony remote with your Oppo 203 "HDMI IN" setup for your Roku? I have three sources going through the HDMI IN port but I haven't been able to come up with a clean Harmony Activity to get the HDMI IN signal directly from the Activity's commands. I wind up at the OPPO Home option, then I do a Harmony "Help" and the setting changes to HDMI IN and I'm connected. I've run out of ideas for getting the OPPO to go straight to HDMI IN.

You may want to check out the UDP-203's AVS thread. Oppo has released a new 'public beta' that has made improvements to the HDMI in that may (or may not) help out your problems. May be worth a try.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #11080 of 11639 Old 12-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
You may want to check out the UDP-203's AVS thread. Oppo has released a new 'public beta' that has made improvements to the HDMI in that may (or may not) help out your problems. May be worth a try.
Thanks. I just came from there and there is a post by master Bob that does seem to solve the problem. I don't know if it's new or just something that got missed. I'll be trying it out soon.Today is a big day in the OPPO post closing history saga.
galonzo likes this.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #11081 of 11639 Old 12-29-2018, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Hello all,

Could be OS9 related. HDR worked perfectly for me until the latest update. Reversed to OS8 and HDR was back. Of course I couldn't stop the roku from updating again so I lost HDR. Hoping roku fixes this issue soon.
post #11082 of 11639 Old 12-29-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

I think to get around this I set the OPPO to always use the HDMI IN on power up. For that OPPO it's rare to use a disc.
post #11083 of 11639 Old 12-29-2018, 07:54 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8980 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I've considered a second smaller UPS for the Home theater devices. My concern has been whether or not it's overkill or not. Unlike a full desktop OS these devices contain no way for the UPS to know when to tell them to turn off.

Since Devices such as streaming boxes have no need to be safely shutdown like a computer, a UPS really has no advantage here over a good surge protector. So was just curious what people used to clean power in their home theater setups.
I use UPSs with all my electronic devices. So I can continue using all of them during power outages. I am covered for bewteen two and eighteen hours during a power outage. Depending on the setup and the power draw. I use over a dozen of the APC 1500 UPSs with extended runtime battery packs.

So my FiOS ONT, router, and main switches are covered for up to 18 hours. So I can continue to have phone, TV, and internet during that time. WHile all the devices in my TV setups are covered for around two to three hours during an outage. Then all my Access Points are covered for between ten and eighteen hours. So at the very least I will be able to get online for up to eighteen hours with my tablets, laptops, or cell phone.
galonzo and dmarqueset like this.

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11084 of 11639 Old 12-29-2018, 07:57 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
I'm using a Roku 3 now and am looking to get HDR capability added to my streaming. Is the Ultra's Wi Fi better performing than the Premiere. Also I like the idea of having the Ultra's Ethernet capability in case I have trouble streaming HDR using Wi-Fi. I'm not interested in the voice remote or the ear buds. Any suggestions?

I'm also curious about what happens if I go to Netflix and select a Dolby Vision title. Will Netflix drop down DV to HDR10?
The Ultras Wifi is certainly better than it's 100BT ethernet connection. Since that is limited to only 100Mb/s. While I get over 130Mb/s throughput over wireless. Using wireless AC from my Access Points.

So with very high bitrate UHD files(over 100Mb/s bitrates) I have no problem playing them over wireless. But if I try to play them over the wired connection, it is a buffering mess.

post #11085 of 11639 Old 12-29-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Read up on pure sine wave (PSW) versus modified sine wave (MSW) invertors/UPS. I use PSW with my electronics and PCs but I'll not enter the debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I've considered a second smaller UPS for the Home theater devices. My concern has been whether or not it's overkill or not. Unlike a full desktop OS these devices contain no way for the UPS to know when to tell them to turn off.

Since Devices such as streaming boxes have no need to be safely shutdown like a computer, a UPS really has no advantage here over a good surge protector. So was just curious what people used to clean power in their home theater setups.
post #11086 of 11639 Old 12-29-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Read up on pure sine wave (PSW) versus modified sine wave (MSW) invertors/UPS. I use PSW with my electronics and PCs but I'll not enter the debate
That's OK, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking to do now. I had a PM with @atc98092 over the matter, to help keep down off topic conversation out of the thread.

Basically what I said is, when it comes to protection, I put more value on my $2500+ iMac setup then the home theater. While it would suck to lose any of the devices, the computer has more value cost wise but also because losing the home theater wouldn't prevent work from being done, or personal data loss. With this said, the iMac has an APC 1500VA on it with a 150 minute runtime. As far as the home theater setup, it has a 10 outlet surge protector with 2 charging ports, and a 3600 Joule rating.

Either way, while I appreciate everyone's feedback, I think the initial question gotten taken slightly out of context.. I wasn't really looking hardcore at battery backup for the home theater. I was looking for something that would filter the noise from components with dirty power supplies and throwing it back into the circuit causing problems for other devices on the same circuit, regardless of what physical outlet they are on.

The main culprit seems to have been the AppleTV 4K and secondary the Netgear gigabit switch. The devices had some real PS issues as the desk lamp would flicker like it was getting dips and spikes. Once those two devices were unplugged, the UPS stopped flipping frantically and so did the flickering. So it's not the utility power I'm looking for protection from here it's protecting internal devices from each other.

Sorry about the longer post, but I wanted to be clear everyone understood what I'm looking for.

As far as the Roku it's not a problem, nor is the TV, or X700 disc player. Also the sound system I thought contributed also doesn't seem to be a factor now either. (especially after I switched it to eco for power mode.)
post #11087 of 11639 Old 12-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
I think to get around this I set the OPPO to always use the HDMI IN on power up. For that OPPO it's rare to use a disc.
Unfortunately I use disks too.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #11088 of 11639 Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Ultras Wifi is certainly better than it's 100BT ethernet connection. Since that is limited to only 100Mb/s. While I get over 130Mb/s throughput over wireless. Using wireless AC from my Access Points.

So with very high bitrate UHD files(over 100Mb/s bitrates) I have no problem playing them over wireless. But if I try to play them over the wired connection, it is a buffering mess.
That's interesting and not what I would expect. Thanks for the information.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #11089 of 11639 Old 12-29-2018, 05:31 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Pure Sine wave should be better. But out of the, literally hundreds of devices I've used with my APC UPSs over the last 20+ years, I've only run into one device that had any kind of an issue. And that was from an HP HDTV that made a buzzing sound from the power supply when connected to an APC UPS with it's "Stepped approximation to a sinewave".

post #11090 of 11639 Old 12-30-2018, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I went up to office Depot yesterday to size up a UPS for the home theater, when I explained to person who knows me from being there all the time, and understanding the problem I was trying to solve, he suggested going to Best buy, dealing with Magnolia, and getting a Panamax protector, designed specifically for home theater and that it will have the type of filters and protection i'm looking for.. I've already checked their site and some of those units are in the same ballpark as an APC.

So, I'll go that route. Just FYI, if another event ever happens again like it did several years back, a UPS is useless. What happened was the transformer outback of my apartment did something called "dropping a leg", and switched from 110 to 220, I had a very nice APC tower at the time, and the UPS, and everything connected to it (EXCEPT the Mac) was destroyed and well burnt.

Items like the Roku, aren't a big deal, those are fairly cheap enough to replace (if needed), it's more the TV, and sound that are the bigger concerns.

By the way, the Power company did reimburse me for damages as it was a documented case with a number, and I wasn't the only one affected.

As always, if something looks bad enough, I just unplug important stuff from the wall. I live in Florida, and lightning can be bad at times.
post #11091 of 11639 Old 12-30-2018, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 495
I use Brick Wall surge protectors on all of my AV systems. They are expensive (and heavy) but don't use MOVs for their protection (massive inductors instead) so they don't self-destruct when a surge hits.

https://www.brickwall.com/pages/the-...rge-protectors
Ted99 likes this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #11092 of 11639 Old 12-30-2018, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
I don't know if I asked this here but I'll try it anyway. Anyone that uses the Roku Ultra from last year with DTV Now do you have any issues? Number 1, when I first start the DTV Now app the guide is on all channels not favorites like I left it. Number 2, the guide will load in an absolute flash instant for a few minutes and then the next minute it takes 10-20 seconds to load and it's at the first channel in alphabetical order.
Anyone else have these issues? Any ideas because I'm all out? I have a Fire Stick 4k that is lightening fast, blazingly fast but the Roku Ultra has better picture quality.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #11093 of 11639 Old 12-30-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I use Brick Wall surge protectors on all of my AV systems. They are expensive (and heavy) but don't use MOVs for their protection (massive inductors instead) so they don't self-destruct when a surge hits.

https://www.brickwall.com/pages/the-...rge-protectors
Thanks, those look really nice. I'll keep the4m in mind (IF I need to go that high.) I wouldn't have brought the topic up at all except it was certain components (devices) in the living room home theater causing problems for more important things on the same circuit.

For now, I've removed the 4K Apple TV, and the Gigabit switch from NetGear, and changed my audio system's power settings, and all is normal again. The worst was the 4K Apple TV. The Roku, TV, X700 UHD player, and sound bar no longer cause problems.

Anyway, it was a unique situation not may people have had to deal with, it was just worth asking for feedback because it was unique. As far as my 2 Roku players left in use go, everything seems to be fine. Haven't had issues with either, and both are on the latest build of OS 9 available to those models currently. I would have been curious to try my Roku 4 on the setup just to see if it tripped things out, like the 4K apple TV because it also had a FAN. It's a known fact that fans can generate electrical noise from the motor, and it was probably that aspect about the Apple TV 4k that was bothering things, as my other devices out here are fanless, the only thing with a fan is the iMac and it's on the UPS, so it has the EMI, and RFI filters from the UPS to deal with that. The home theater devices don't have noise filters. I gutted my Roku 4 several years ago because I was curious about the design, so it no longer exists.
post #11094 of 11639 Old 12-30-2018, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This may have been asked before, but I am unable to find the same question.

I have an HD projector, atmos ave and ultra roku. With HD only am I able to get atoms sound? I have not been able to so far. Thanks in advance.
post #11095 of 11639 Old 12-30-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyates View Post
This may have been asked before, but I am unable to find the same question.

I have an HD projector, atmos ave and ultra roku. With HD only am I able to get atoms sound? I have not been able to so far. Thanks in advance.
The only Atmos that you will get from a Roku player is from a Dolby Digital+ soundtrack. It is used by Amazon and Vudu. Netflix also uses it, but I'm not certain they have made it available yet on a Roku. There might be some other online sources that provide it as well, but I don't know of them.

If you have Atmos from a ripped Blu Ray disc, you will not get that Atmos, as that requires lossless audio bitstreaming, which isn't supported on any Roku device.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11096 of 11639 Old 12-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just purchased a Roku Ultra - it is working fine for Hulu, Amazon Prime and YouTube for me. A couple of things I'm struggling with:
1) I normally assign static IP addresses to all of my equipment - I'm not finding a way to do that on the Ultra. I'm using wired and it just has options to reset the connection.
2) I have an older IR universal remote - I'm hit and miss on being able to 'Learn' the Roku commands...any secrets?? Most of the equipment is hidden in enclosed shelving. The remote I'm trying to use has RF to a receiver that is in the enclosure with IR blaster for the devices.

TIA for any help!

Wyatt
post #11097 of 11639 Old 12-30-2018, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 545
1) Static IP address cannot be assigned in a Roku device. If you want to ensure you always have the same IP address I suggest creating a reservation in your DHCP server (probably your primary router).

2) no experience with using IR remotes with a Roku, so can't offer any suggestions there.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11098 of 11639 Old 12-31-2018, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliec2 View Post
2) I have an older IR universal remote - I'm hit and miss on being able to 'Learn' the Roku commands...any secrets?? Most of the equipment is hidden in enclosed shelving. The remote I'm trying to use has RF to a receiver that is in the enclosure with IR blaster for the devices.
I have a URC MX-900 remote, which is able to 'learn' IR commands. Most of the Roku commands in its database worked fine, except for the directional buttons (up, down, left, right). I was able to 'learn' those commands with my Premiere+ remote, but not the new Ultra remote.
The Ultra 4K box accepts IR, but the new remote does not send IR. If you want to 'learn' the IR commands you will need to use an older Roku remote that actually sends an IR command. If you happen to have an older Roku remote, try it.

post #11099 of 11639 Old 12-31-2018, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyliec2 View Post
I just purchased a Roku Ultra - it is working fine for Hulu, Amazon Prime and YouTube for me. A couple of things I'm struggling with:
1) I normally assign static IP addresses to all of my equipment - I'm not finding a way to do that on the Ultra. I'm using wired and it just has options to reset the connection.

TIA for any help!
Newer Roku devices use WiFi Direct for remote control, the support for IR is severely hobbled. See link for discussion of WiFi Direct and Roku

WIFI Direct

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #11100 of 11639 Old 12-31-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Newer Roku devices use WiFi Direct for remote control, the support for IR is severely hobbled. See link for discussion of WiFi Direct and Roku

WIFI Direct
Just in case I wasn't clear, the remotes that come with the newer Roku's DO NOT send out an IR signal. Wasn't sure what it used- thanks for the link.
The new boxes, including the Ultra 4K, DO receive and respond to IR commands.
I am able to do everything with my universal remote that I can with the Roku remote that came with my Ultra 4K. Well, I can't use the 'voice' function for commands/search no matter how loud I yell at it. Probably because it doesn't have a mic.
To program a universal remote to 'learn' Roku commands you will need an older remote that sends out IR commands. Hopefully, your universal remote's program has the Roku commands in its database. The URC database had most of the Roku commands, but the directional button commands didn't work. I was able to 'learn' the missing commands from my Premiere remote. Both the database and learned commands work perfectly with my Ultra's.
bwaldron likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page