Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 371 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9692Likes

post #11101 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I downloaded a 4K nature documentary today from Youtube, in WebM format, it's 25FPs, when played back from a USB on the Sony X700, it changes refresh rate and says it's 4K/25, everything plays smooth and no dropped frames, or judder.
M question is, is it even worth trying to get the Roku to play the same file as is, or will it not be supported? The video codec is VP9, and the audio is Vorbis. Seems to work ok with the Sony, but is it worth even trying to use the file with the Ultra and USB port ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11102 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I downloaded a 4K nature documentary today from Youtube, in WebM format, it's 25FPs, when played back from a USB on the Sony X700, it changes refresh rate and says it's 4K/25, everything plays smooth and no dropped frames, or judder.
M question is, is it even worth trying to get the Roku to play the same file as is, or will it not be supported? The video codec is VP9, and the audio is Vorbis. Seems to work ok with the Sony, but is it worth even trying to use the file with the Ultra and USB port ?
you listed 25fps twice, where is the "change" in refresh rate? is it a big deal to simply do it the way your currently doing it? if you stream it from youtube with your x700 does it not give you the same "4k/25fps" you get when you play it through USB device?

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #11103 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
you listed 25fps twice, where is the "change" in refresh rate? is it a big deal to simply do it the way your currently doing it? if you stream it from youtube with your x700 does it not give you the same "4k/25fps" you get when you play it through USB device?
I should have said, it changes from 4K/60 to 4K / 25 when the file starts. I didn't test through the Youtube app, because I wanted to test offline playback. I asked here because I was curious if the Roku could play the same files locally, or am I better sticking with the Sony to play download files of this type without having to cover them. There is always Plex, Just wanted to test USB playback today. So thought I would ask. The other reason I was asking is because it has been stated here and other device threads that US Sony TVs don't do 25p. Yet, when playing the OSD says 4k/25, so was curious what the TV was actually doing. Doesn't mater if it's the Roku or X700. I'm curious because as I've mentioned nothing looks distorted such as frame drops or judder etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11104 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
I should have said, it changes from 4K/60 to 4K / 25 when the file starts. I didn't test through the Youtube app, because I wanted to test offline playback. I asked here because I was curious if the Roku could play the same files locally, or am I better sticking with the Sony to play download files of this type without having to cover them. There is always Plex, Just wanted to test USB playback today. So thought I would ask. The other reason I was asking is because it has been stated here and other device threads that US Sony TVs don't do 25p. Yet, when playing the OSD says 4k/25, so was curious what the TV was actually doing. Doesn't mater if it's the Roku or X700. I'm curious because as I've mentioned nothing looks distorted such as frame drops or judder etc.
what you should do is put a link to that video so folks can get the name of it (from the video) and try it out on their devices. nobody knows what your talking about but you (video wise) unless they get to try the same video out for themselves.

do that and i'm sure people will get back to you with the results.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
post #11105 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
what you should do is put a link to that video so folks can get the name of it (from the video) and try it out on their devices. nobody knows what your talking about but you (video wise) unless they get to try the same video out for themselves.

do that and i'm sure people will get back to you with the results.

Will do that now, I should alert people, the Video is actually in 5K, so it plays in native 5K on the iMac. Downloading it, I had to download the 4K track. For those trying it through youtube, you should automatically get the best resolution.

post #11106 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Just in case I wasn't clear, the remotes that come with the newer Roku's DO NOT send out an IR signal. Wasn't sure what it used- thanks for the link.
The new boxes, including the Ultra 4K, DO receive and respond to IR commands.
I am able to do everything with my universal remote that I can with the Roku remote that came with my Ultra 4K. Well, I can't use the 'voice' function for commands/search no matter how loud I yell at it. Probably because it doesn't have a mic.
To program a universal remote to 'learn' Roku commands you will need an older remote that sends out IR commands. Hopefully, your universal remote's program has the Roku commands in its database. The URC database had most of the Roku commands, but the directional button commands didn't work. I was able to 'learn' the missing commands from my Premiere remote. Both the database and learned commands work perfectly with my Ultra's.
TBH, I am kind of surprised that the Premier Remote used IR as Roku has been using WiFi Direct as the primary remote control method since releasing the Roku 3. Glad it worked for you.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #11107 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 05:01 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
I'm trying to setup a new Roku Ultra (2018) with our Vizio PQ display. I'm going through our OPPO 203 HDMI IN port which I have set to Custom Resolution = UHD Auto. The OPPO is connected to HDMI 3 on the PQ display.

The Roku recognizes the display as 1080p HDCP 1.4 but also says that 4K content protection (HDCP 2.2) is OK, but I get this message when I select 4k 60 Hz:

"This HDMI input not capable of 4k 60 Hz." from The Roku Ultra setup. I get the same result if I select 4K 30 Hz.

Maybe I should connect the Roku Ultra directly to the display for the display setup.

All HDMI cables are "certified" from Monoprice.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'll check with Roku support after the 1st.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #11108 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
I'm trying to setup a new Roku Ultra (2018) with our Vizio PQ display. I'm going through our OPPO 203 HDMI IN port which I have set to Custom Resolution = UHD Auto. The OPPO is connected to HDMI 3 on the PQ display.

The Roku recognizes the display as 1080p HDCP 1.4 but also says that 4K content protection (HDCP 2.2) is OK, but I get this message when I select 4k 60 Hz:

"This HDMI input not capable of 4k 60 Hz." from The Roku Ultra setup. I get the same result if I select 4K 30 Hz.

Maybe I should connect the Roku Ultra directly to the display for the display setup.

All HDMI cables are "certified" from Monoprice.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'll check with Roku support after the 1st.
Yes, running directly to your dispay will work. The Oppo HDMI in is not capable of passing 4K...

Bobby 

post #11109 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
The Roku 4K players all support VP9 version 2, which is what YouTube uses for their 4K videos. On their developer documentation pages they list WebM as a supported video type. It doesn't list Vorbis as a supported audio codec, but since they do list WebM it might be something unofficial. They do seem to have several unannounced supported codecs supported, so it's tough to say. But since Roku will play YouTube videos with audio, I'd imagine it would work as well.

I've decided to try creating a Roku channel for Serviio, so I've been digging into their documentation. I have some coding background, but I'm struggling to make the basic connection to the Serviio API. I'm sure once I get that, I can figure out the rest. Who knows, maybe I can figure out a way to bitstream all audio streams

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11110 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Yes, running directly to your dispay will work. The Oppo HDMI in is not capable of passing 4K...
@htwaits Wrong. I run my 2016 Ultra thru my 203 and get HDR10. Must be a configuration setting on your Oppo HDMI In settings. On the Oppo:

Video Output: Custom UHD Auto; Color space YCbCr: 4:2:0, Color depth: Auto

Device setup: make sure HDMI In specs are set to UHD HDR.
htwaits and galonzo like this.

Last edited by naustin; 12-31-2018 at 08:52 PM.
post #11111 of 11522 Old 12-31-2018, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
The Roku 4K players all support VP9 version 2, which is what YouTube uses for their 4K videos. On their developer documentation pages they list WebM as a supported video type. It doesn't list Vorbis as a supported audio codec, but since they do list WebM it might be something unofficial. They do seem to have several unannounced supported codecs supported, so it's tough to say. But since Roku will play YouTube videos with audio, I'd imagine it would work as well.

I've decided to try creating a Roku channel for Serviio, so I've been digging into their documentation. I have some coding background, but I'm struggling to make the basic connection to the Serviio API. I'm sure once I get that, I can figure out the rest. Who knows, maybe I can figure out a way to bitstream all audio streams
YouTube has switched to AV1 now, I think though Vp9 is still also widely used. I'd be curious to see how your Serviio channel for Roku turns out. I'm surprised the Serviio developer never created one to go with the server, since streaming boxes have become more popular.

I'll try the files in Roku Media player on the Ultra to see what I get as far as playback goes. So far, all the videos I've downloaded play perfectly on the Sony with native supports. So, we'll find out if the Roku can do the job as well, or if things need to be converted.

I'll also connect the usb drive to the TV directly and see how Android TV deals with native support for the files as well, just to have the feedback, and experience.
post #11112 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 01:30 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
@htwaits Wrong. I run my 2016 Ultra thru my 203 and get HDR10. Must be a configuration setting on your Oppo HDMI In settings. On the Oppo:

Thanks for the information. I got similar results in the OPPO thread.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
post #11113 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 01:33 AM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Prior to the new firmware, the OPPO 203 HDMI IN port couldn't pass Dolby Vision but it has always passed HDR as HDR10. MY problem seems to be a setup issue in the OPPO. Thanks for the reply.
bobby94928 and naustin like this.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #11114 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
If you have Atmos from a ripped Blu Ray disc, you will not get that Atmos, as that requires lossless audio bitstreaming, which isn't supported on any Roku device.
Does anyone know why Roku has so far resisted adding support for bitstreaming?

I mean, bitstreaming has been supported since the release of HDMI 1.3 way back in 2006. The Ultra does 4K HDR @ 60Hz, so it must be using at least a HDMI 2.0a capable chipset.

The lack of bitstreaming support pretty much eliminates the Roku from serious consideration for anyone with a decent sound system (AVR with at least a 5.1 setup).
post #11115 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I have a URC MX-900 remote, which is able to 'learn' IR commands. Most of the Roku commands in its database worked fine, except for the directional buttons (up, down, left, right). I was able to 'learn' those commands with my Premiere+ remote, but not the new Ultra remote.
The Ultra 4K box accepts IR, but the new remote does not send IR. If you want to 'learn' the IR commands you will need to use an older Roku remote that actually sends an IR command. If you happen to have an older Roku remote, try it.
Thanks to all that replied for the information!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Wyatt
post #11116 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post
Roku has never stated a reason, but there's been lots of speculation. The most common thought is because of licensing costs. It wouldn't seem like a license from Dolby or DTS would be necessary to pass the bitstream untouched, but I've never investigated it that deeply. Since all Roku players, even the older ones, support HDMI 1.4, and the 4K models support 2.0, one wouldn't think it's a hardware issue. I realize they are building to a price point, and also are catering to the general user that connects directly to the TV, but I would think there's enough of a market for a top end player that supports all audio codecs via bitstream passthough. Basically a Shield that has the Roku interface. Sell it in the low $100s, and many of us would immediately snap one or more up.

Licensing costs are most certainly the reason for no Dolby Vision support. Even the Shield doesn't support that.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11117 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I have the ROKU ULTRA streaming box. Also have an older model pre-pro. When passing the ROKU signal through this pre-pro, it downrezzes the video to 1080p. So that was unacceptable.

So, hooked up the ROKU to the TV. Got TV sound and the UHD image. Figured I just needed an HDMI 4K splitter, but that option did not transmit the video or audio through it any more -- got some prompt on the screen that there was incompatibility, or non-compliance, some such thing.

Still trying to get the sound into my pre-pro. Was told all about ARC. That did not work any way I tried. Last resort was optical cable. That works to get audio into the processor. Not what I call very high-quality sound, so again, fairly unacceptable.

Next investigated the USB port on the side of the ROKU ULTRA. Was told by their tech person that it was a USB type "C" and would transmit audio through it, so all I needed was an adapter cable that fits into the USB C port and has an HDMI connector at the other end. Wrong. It is not a USB C port for one, but was told today that there would be no audio available at this output, in any event.

So after about $60 invested in trying to get sound-system sound out of this, what to do next? Any ideas from anyone? -- any help would be appreciated!
post #11118 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
I have the ROKU ULTRA streaming box. Also have an older model pre-pro. When passing the ROKU signal through this pre-pro, it downrezzes the video to 1080p. So that was unacceptable.

So, hooked up the ROKU to the TV. Got TV sound and the UHD image. Figured I just needed an HDMI 4K splitter, but that option did not transmit the video or audio through it any more -- got some prompt on the screen that there was incompatibility, or non-compliance, some such thing.

Still trying to get the sound into my pre-pro. Was told all about ARC. That did not work any way I tried. Last resort was optical cable. That works to get audio into the processor. Not what I call very high-quality sound, so again, fairly unacceptable.

Next investigated the USB port on the side of the ROKU ULTRA. Was told by their tech person that it was a USB type "C" and would transmit audio through it, so all I needed was an adapter cable that fits into the USB C port and has an HDMI connector at the other end. Wrong. It is not a USB C port for one, but was told today that there would be no audio available at this output, in any event.

So after about $60 invested in trying to get sound-system sound out of this, what to do next? Any ideas from anyone? -- any help would be appreciated!
Yeah, the tech obviously had no idea what they were talking about. As you found, it's not USB-C, and it only offers the ability to connect an external storage device (hard drive or USB stick) for media playback.

It sounds like your splitter didn't work correctly. I've heard others making one work.

Dan
post #11119 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
You need to have a splitter that handles 4K-HDR, like this one. Not just 4K. I use this one and it works.
https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-Proph.../dp/B079HJWF31

All the HDMI cables need to be "4K @ 60Hz | HDR | 18Gbps | 28AWG | YUV 4:4:4". Look for the 'Certified Premium' insignia on the package. see attachment.

If you have all these things, then you need to have the 'edid' set correctly on the splitter. The manual for the splitter should have a chart showing the correct setting for the edid switches.
Also follow the splitter's instructions for how to connect and power up the components. There may be a specific sequence for powering up the splitter and components for it to work correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG.6.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2503962  
gwsat and galonzo like this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #11120 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, the tech obviously had no idea what they were talking about. As you found, it's not USB-C, and it only offers the ability to connect an external storage device (hard drive or USB stick) for media playback.

It sounds like your splitter didn't work correctly. I've heard others making one work.
Thank you for taking the time to answer. I appreciate that. Yes, the tech led me astray. Did some more playing around with the splitter. Was able to produce a UHD image, but the side of the splitter that went to my pre-pro, yielded no sound. tried two HDMI inputs, Still nothing. Played around long enough that I'm about done for this day, at least. The splitter cannot be returned -- that window has expired, so maybe stay with what I have: ROKU direct to TV, optical for audio.....
post #11121 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You need to have a splitter that handles 4K-HDR, like this one. Not just 4K. I use this one and it works.
https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-Proph.../dp/B079HJWF31

All the HDMI cables need to be "4K @ 60Hz | HDR | 18Gbps | 28AWG | YUV 4:4:4". Look for the 'Certified Premium' insignia on the package. see attachment.

If you have all these things, then you need to have the 'edid' set correctly on the splitter. The manual for the splitter should have a chart showing the correct setting for the edid switches.
Also follow the splitter's instructions for how to connect and power up the components. There may be a specific sequence for powering up the splitter and components for it to work correctly.
Thank you so much for your willingness to help. I'm about done on this exploration for this day, but suffice it to say, the splitter is a cheap one ($20) from MONOPRICE -- not sure if there are diagrams with the instruction sheet, but will check that out -- very helpful of you to point that out.

Will check out your link when I get the chance (or am willing to explore some more) -- about burnt out on investigations, and calling around today, so give it another shot on another day.

I appreciate your stepping in to provide that information. I did discover one factor that threw me off completely -- NETFLIX was presenting in 1080p -- I knew I was supposed to get UHD, so spent some number of experiments on the false assumption that my ROKU or the splitter were the culprits. Turns out NETFLIX itself downrezzes based on internet speed, whereas there is perfect UHD content playable from other sources, through the ROKU -- but wasted a lot of time and having to repeat experiments, once I found this out....

Wonder how many other customers are paying for the premium service but getting stuck with downrezzed video?
post #11122 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

Thanks to help from you and others I'm enjoying HDR10 streaming today. Thank you.
naustin likes this.

My Components:
Calibration Resources:
post #11123 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 07:54 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked: 5695
Because it would cost more money for the licenses, plus it s a streaming box for streaming apps. the vast majority of people have no need to bitstream Dolby true HD/DTS-HD MA. And a roku is a box for the masses..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post

I mean, bitstreaming has been supported since the release of HDMI 1.3 way back in 2006. The Ultra does 4K HDR @ 60Hz, so it must be using at least a HDMI 2.0a capable chipset.

The lack of bitstreaming support pretty much eliminates the Roku from serious consideration for anyone with a decent sound system (AVR with at least a 5.1 setup).
Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk
galonzo and Mr.G like this.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--45TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11124 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
The only Atmos that you will get from a Roku player is from a Dolby Digital+ soundtrack. It is used by Amazon and Vudu. Netflix also uses it, but I'm not certain they have made it available yet on a Roku. There might be some other online sources that provide it as well, but I don't know of them.

If you have Atmos from a ripped Blu Ray disc, you will not get that Atmos, as that requires lossless audio bitstreaming, which isn't supported on any Roku device.
I have the Roku ultra setup to play dollby plus, but can not get Amazon prime to output atmos to my Marantz av7702mk2. Only have an he projector, no 4K. The maranta av7702 is 4K and Atmos ready. I am able to play blurry in Atmos with no issue from a play station.
post #11125 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Tried searching but can't find answers so does anyone know why ESPN isn't on the Roku Spectrum channel? All the other channels are available. I had to download the ESPN channel to watch it. Thanks. EDIT_Nevermind, found it under All Channels. For some reason it wasn't listed in Sports.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player

Last edited by Jbhur212; 01-01-2019 at 10:18 PM.
post #11126 of 11522 Old 01-01-2019, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyates View Post
I have the Roku ultra setup to play dollby plus, but can not get Amazon prime to output atmos to my Marantz av7702mk2. Only have an he projector, no 4K. The maranta av7702 is 4K and Atmos ready. I am able to play blurry in Atmos with no issue from a play station.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Amazon offers Atmos on anything but 4K titles. If you aren't connected to a 4K display, I'm not certain you can even see the 4K titles.

Dan
post #11127 of 11522 Old 01-02-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1689 Post(s)
Liked: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbhur212 View Post
Tried searching but can't find answers so does anyone know why ESPN isn't on the Roku Spectrum channel? All the other channels are available. I had to download the ESPN channel to watch it. Thanks. EDIT_Nevermind, found it under All Channels. For some reason it wasn't listed in Sports.
Maybe they moved it from under sports when they became the political network under the previous ESPN president.
bwaldron likes this.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #11128 of 11522 Old 01-02-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked: 5734
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Because it would cost more money for the licenses, plus it s a streaming box for streaming apps. the vast majority of people have no need to bitstream Dolby true HD/DTS-HD MA. And a roku is a box for the masses..
There's another reason TrueHD Atmos, the lossless version of Atmos, is not available on Roku. The reason is that it's not available on any streaming device. The lossy version of Atmos, though, is available under some circumstances. Amazon Prime offers the 4K HDR version of its Jack Ryan series with Atmos but, so far as I know, its the only Atmos title available on Prime. Netflix offers several Atmos enabled titles but they can be decoded on only a few devices, not including Roku devices:

Quote:
The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:
Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
Pixela 4K Smart Tuner.
Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)
Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)
Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #11129 of 11522 Old 01-02-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I don't have to go back and pick through the thread, who reported an issue with the 800D TV turning on randomly with the Roku update?

I'm responding to that post because it's happening with me occasionally as well and I have a Sony 800D series TV. However, what I would like to contribute here is: my observations have drawn the conclusion it's related to theme changes when it comes to the seasonal themes.

I haven't turned off the featured themes feature, but I've noticed, the TV is on, on days the Roku would have changed a theme based on holiday, and then when that holiday theme is no longer need, and it goes back to what I have set. For me, these have been consistent times, this has happened.

I could probably just disable Bravia Sync on the TV and the issue would be solved, and it isn't a big deal to manually switch inputs. However, the feature typically works without issues most of the time.
post #11130 of 11522 Old 01-02-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Roku Premier+ (4630X), received the update to 9.0 and now have repeated HDCP negotiation failures when using Amazon Prime.

The Premier+ turns on and works fine until I select a program to watch, the program will start and just after the opening scenes start the picture blanks BUT the audio continues (Classic symptom of an HDCP error). Fix action of removing the cable from the Roku and re-inserting fixes the problem every time. The next episode will start and rinse/repeat. This happened on 4 consecutive episodes of "Man in the High Tower 4K" last night.

I have not tested with HD content yet or another streaming source, such as Hulu or Netflix.

This issue did NOT occur prior to receiving the 9.0 update. Cables are "Certified" 18GBPS with the hologram and have not had this issue before.

Anyone else or idea on how to fix.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page