Official ROKU 4K (HDR) Premiere +/Ultra Owners Thread - Page 378 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9755Likes

post #11311 of 11608 Old 03-03-2019, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeter2002 View Post
I'd like to know as well.
Bug fixes and performance improvements 😉

The new “one size fits all” changelog...
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 11608 Old 03-03-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post
Bug fixes and performance improvements 😉

The new “one size fits all” changelog...
Makes sense, it is still remains Version 9.0.0.
galonzo likes this.
post #11313 of 11608 Old 03-03-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My Stick+ model 3810X is still 9.0.0 Build 4142-50 per a Feb 21 update.

My Ultra model 4640X is still 9.0.0 Build 4142-29 per a Feb 22 update.

Last edited by naustin; 03-03-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11314 of 11608 Old 03-05-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can now use Alexa with your Roku.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/366945/ro...h-amazon-alexa
galonzo and gossamer88 like this.
post #11315 of 11608 Old 03-06-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
You can now use Alexa with your Roku.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/366945/ro...h-amazon-alexa
It's there, but you can't yet use it with Alexa on Cortana, although the skill setup properly picks up my Cortana devices (Invoke, PC, Surface and Phone) and allows me to select them. Alexa replies that the skill is not yet supported on Cortana devices.
post #11316 of 11608 Old 03-06-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL99 View Post
It's there, but you can't yet use it with Alexa on Cortana, although the skill setup properly picks up my Cortana devices (Invoke, PC, Surface and Phone) and allows me to select them. Alexa replies that the skill is not yet supported on Cortana devices.
Works fine on my Amazon Dot and iPhone. It might be a Microsoft thing.
post #11317 of 11608 Old 03-07-2019, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Just in case I wasn't clear, the remotes that come with the newer Roku's DO NOT send out an IR signal. Wasn't sure what it used- thanks for the link.
The new boxes, including the Ultra 4K, DO receive and respond to IR commands.
I am able to do everything with my universal remote that I can with the Roku remote that came with my Ultra 4K. Well, I can't use the 'voice' function for commands/search no matter how loud I yell at it. Probably because it doesn't have a mic.
To program a universal remote to 'learn' Roku commands you will need an older remote that sends out IR commands. Hopefully, your universal remote's program has the Roku commands in its database. The URC database had most of the Roku commands, but the directional button commands didn't work. I was able to 'learn' the missing commands from my Premiere remote. Both the database and learned commands work perfectly with my Ultra's.
Actually the remote included with Roku Ultra 4660, the one with power button and IR for tv power & volume, does emit IR for the Roku commands. But either has to be not paired to a roku, or if the roku its paired with has to be unplugged for the remote to switch from Wifi direct to IR for the roku commands. Plug the roku back in and its WIFI again. This goes for the roku 3800 & 3810 stick remotes as well. I can only guess its by product of having IR on board for the tv commands. In a pinch you can use this feature to program universal remote, especially to get direct access keys like CBSAA or Directv Now into your universal. Give it a try. You can test it with cell phone camera, with roku plugged in, pressing a tv key on the remote you will see a flash, roku key nothing. Unplug the roku, and now you see flashes for ALL keys on the remote.
tngiloy likes this.
post #11318 of 11608 Old 03-10-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Actually the remote included with Roku Ultra 4660, the one with power button and IR for tv power & volume, does emit IR for the Roku commands. But either has to be not paired to a roku, or if the roku its paired with has to be unplugged for the remote to switch from Wifi direct to IR for the roku commands. Plug the roku back in and its WIFI again. This goes for the roku 3800 & 3810 stick remotes as well. I can only guess its by product of having IR on board for the tv commands. In a pinch you can use this feature to program universal remote, especially to get direct access keys like CBSAA or Directv Now into your universal. Give it a try. You can test it with cell phone camera, with roku plugged in, pressing a tv key on the remote you will see a flash, roku key nothing. Unplug the roku, and now you see flashes for ALL keys on the remote.
Per the Roku web page The Roku Enhanced Roku (the one with the earphone jack) only works with:
- Roku 4
- Roku Premiere (Only model 4620)
- Roku Premiere+ (Only model 4630)
- Roku Ultra

Roku doesn't specify on their website which remotes are WiFi or IR.

I would like to upgrade my Stick+ with the enhanced remote to get headphone capabilities like my old 2016 Ultra. However it looks to be limited to WiFi devices which I guess isn't on any current devices but the Ultra. You would think Roku would include the Remote specs somewhere
galonzo likes this.
post #11319 of 11608 Old 03-10-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Per the Roku web page The Roku Enhanced Roku (the one with the earphone jack) only works with:
- Roku 4
- Roku Premiere (Only model 4620)
- Roku Premiere+ (Only model 4630)
- Roku Ultra

Roku doesn't specify on their website which remotes are WiFi or IR.

I would like to upgrade my Stick+ with the enhanced remote to get headphone capabilities like my old 2016 Ultra. However it looks to be limited to WiFi devices which I guess isn't on any current devices but the Ultra. You would think Roku would include the Remote specs somewhere
Another option you might consider, if all you want is earphone capability, are wireless headphones (found on Amazon, eBay,...). Some are more expensive than the remote, but I don't think the 'enhanced remote' comes with the earbuds included with the Ultra (the included earbuds are pretty cheap). The wireless HP's would connect to your TV so it would work with any and all devices hooked to your TV.
Just a thought.

Tom

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #11320 of 11608 Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Another option you might consider, if all you want is earphone capability, are wireless headphones (found on Amazon, eBay,...). Some are more expensive than the remote, but I don't think the 'enhanced remote' comes with the earbuds included with the Ultra (the included earbuds are pretty cheap). The wireless HP's would connect to your TV so it would work with any and all devices hooked to your TV.
Just a thought.

Tom
Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I'm a big headphone User at night. I like the Ultra earphone jack on my main TV versus my Bluetooth headphones (AppleTV4) because there is less audio lack. Unfortunately my bedroom set nor the Stick+ has a built-in Bluetooth transmitter. I'll just keep using my AppleTV 4 at night for now.
post #11321 of 11608 Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I'm a big headphone User at night. I like the Ultra earphone jack on my main TV versus my Bluetooth headphones (AppleTV4) because there is less audio lack. Unfortunately my bedroom set nor the Stick+ has a built-in Bluetooth transmitter. I'll just keep using my AppleTV 4 at night for now.
Roku smartphone appp supports pluging earbuds into phone & tapping headphone icon on app’s screen. Works just like Ultra remote. Earbuds or headphones work. App works with all current models of Roku. Latest Ultra comes with supposedly premium earbuds, don’t have latest so so say if any good.
galonzo likes this.
post #11322 of 11608 Old 03-10-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Roku smartphone appp supports pluging earbuds into phone & tapping headphone icon on app’s screen. Works just like Ultra remote. Earbuds or headphones work. App works with all current models of Roku. Latest Ultra comes with supposedly premium earbuds, don’t have latest so so say if any good.
Thanks I'll check the audio lag with the App on my Android Tablet. Unfortunately the Bluetooth lag would still exist with my iPhone that requires wireless headphones.

Last edited by naustin; 03-10-2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling
post #11323 of 11608 Old 03-10-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks I'll check the audio lag with the App on my Android Tablet. Unfortunately the Bluetooth lag would still exist with my iPhone that requires wireless headphones.
There are several Lightning to traditional headphone adaptors for less than 10 bucks. Did you keep your old phone when you updated. Can’t make phone calls with it but still makes a good WiFi device, most likely has regular headphone port.
post #11324 of 11608 Old 03-10-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
There are several Lightning to traditional headphone adaptors for less than 10 bucks. Did you keep your old phone when you updated. Can’t make phone calls with it but still makes a good WiFi device, most likely has regular headphone port.
Thanks. Silly me, my iPhone 8 actually included the Lightning adapter and wired earbuds. I'll give it a try this evening.
galonzo likes this.
post #11325 of 11608 Old 03-10-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tested the Roku App headphones feature on my iPhone via the Lightning connector.

The headphone feature worked well and didn't product the audio lag I get with bluetooth headphones on my AppleTV 4K. Thanks @rdgcss for the suggestion.
rlb, tngiloy and galonzo like this.
post #11326 of 11608 Old 03-11-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tested the Roku App headphones feature on my iPhone via the Lightning connector.

The headphone feature worked well and didn't product the audio lag I get with bluetooth headphones on my AppleTV 4K. Thanks @rdgcss for the suggestion.
I tend to be one of the worst people who “can’t se the forest for the trees”. 🤔 Glad to help
post #11327 of 11608 Old 03-11-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 36
After the last month or so my Ultra has started to cause my Sony XBR-75X940D to reboot. About once every other use.

The TV is not doing this with any other source and the Ultra is mostly displaying UHD/HDR content on Vudu.Not sure if it ever did it for 1080P content on Netflix.

And up until this period, my Ultra has been rock solid.

Any ideas? A recent update?
BJBBJB
post #11328 of 11608 Old 03-11-2019, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I have the latest Ultra, the 4661R, which I bought last Fall.

I mainly use the Roku to watch YouTube. And some of their content is 4K.

What I wanted to note today, is that there is a new Roku Channel, it's the
NASA TV UHD Channel that broadcasts in 4K HDR.

When they show the earth from the ISS, it's pretty impressive.
aaronwt, galonzo and RagtopFE like this.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!

Last edited by See The Light; 03-18-2019 at 11:08 PM.
post #11329 of 11608 Old 03-12-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is anyone using their Roku less than they used to? I purchased an ultra after Christmas to upgrade from my 3, then updated to a new Samsung tv. The interface on the Samsung is fast...not like other older smart tv’s I have seen. I mainly use Netflix and Prime so the lack of variety is not a big deal for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11330 of 11608 Old 03-12-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I'm not using them less but OS9 certainly is making me wait longer It didn't improve the experience for me, it appears to run more slowly, and seemed to introduce a lot of issues for many apps.

I know coordinated updates can be rocky but it's been a good 3+ months now.

In fact, I just received an email update from a trouble ticket I opened asking which devices were officially supporting MPEG2 on OS9 because of some problems I'm having with PLEX on the Sticks but not the Ultra. When I opened the ticket the CSR on the phone contacted "tech support" and reported DEFINITELY all the newest Stick/Stick+/Ultra support MPEG2 on OS9. They promised to update the online documents with supported models and email me the new link. The email I just received said, in very broken English, that MPEG2 isn't supported at all on OS9

Always more fun as more vendors get added into each change Finger pointing heaven!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssailorfan View Post
Is anyone using their Roku less than they used to? I purchased an ultra after Christmas to upgrade from my 3, then updated to a new Samsung tv. The interface on the Samsung is fast...not like other older smart tv’s I have seen. I mainly use Netflix and Prime so the lack of variety is not a big deal for me.

post #11331 of 11608 Old 03-12-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:

I use my ROKU Ultra daily and luv it.
Also, I have yet to have anything negative take place using it.
Great addition to my H/T.
What I decided with my last Major-Up-Grades is to use each piece of gear for it's Major intention.
Example the new Panasonic UB820 I use it for DVDs, Blu-rays, and of course the 4K Ultra HDR disc.
What I don't do is use the UB820 for streaming !!!
I use the ROKU Ultra for All-Streaming and it always-always works perfect .................

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
post #11332 of 11608 Old 03-12-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJBBJB View Post
After the last month or so my Ultra has started to cause my Sony XBR-75X940D to reboot. About once every other use.

The TV is not doing this with any other source and the Ultra is mostly displaying UHD/HDR content on Vudu.Not sure if it ever did it for 1080P content on Netflix.

And up until this period, my Ultra has been rock solid.

Any ideas? A recent update?
BJBBJB
I've never heard of something connected via HDMI causing problems with another device, beyond the HDCP handshake issues. But that has never caused a TV to reboot to my knowledge. I'm not sure how it could accomplish such a feat. Not saying you aren't having an issue, just I can't imagine a cause.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield, a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #11333 of 11608 Old 03-12-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

A little less since I use my AppleTV 4Ks for Dolby Vision programs. Come on Roku sell a Dolby Vision streamer already. Both my TVs have Dolby Vision internal Apps but I rarely use them. I prefer dedicated video streamers.
galonzo likes this.
post #11334 of 11608 Old 03-12-2019, 12:30 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
A little less since I use my AppleTV 4Ks for Dolby Vision programs. Come on Roku sell a Dolby Vision streamer already. Both my TVs have Dolby Vision internal Apps but I rarely use them. I prefer dedicated video streamers.
Yes. And my TCL TV with ROku has access to Dolby Vision content. But to be fair, the experience is basically the same whether I use Roku on the TV or an External ROku Box. Only I can get DV from the capable apps on the TCL Roku TV. While I only get HDR10 from my external Rokus.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #11335 of 11608 Old 03-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
I've never heard of something connected via HDMI causing problems with another device, beyond the HDCP handshake issues. But that has never caused a TV to reboot to my knowledge. I'm not sure how it could accomplish such a feat. Not saying you aren't having an issue, just I can't imagine a cause.
I had a similar issue with a Dish 722 DVR and Sony XBR65x810C, every time I would turn on the TV the 722 would reboot. I as able to verify it was not power related by connecting to different circuits. Dish fixed the problem by upgrading my hardware to a Hopper3, so it was a win for me. Search hard online found a few others with the same issue.

I do agree it seems really weird for HDMI to cause a connected device to reboot.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #11336 of 11608 Old 03-12-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
After NHL.TV released a client for AndroidTV on my Sony the amount of usage for my Roku Premier+ was cut in half. The Roku has a better wireless signal than the TV so when the TV is having issues I use the Roku, but that's the only time.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #11337 of 11608 Old 03-14-2019, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

In the main home theater where I have both an Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra, the Roku hasn’t been used in months. The Apple device works better for everything I stream.

I do use Roku devices exclusively on the other 4 displays in the house, but only because we only have the one Apple TV. We have three Roku Express boxes and one new Premiere 4K with HDR10 support for those displays. We also use the Xfinity app on those displays to save on cable converter rental costs — the app is not available for Apple TV.
post #11338 of 11608 Old 03-15-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
I still occasionally use the original Roku Premiere+ but sync problems with Hulu have pushed me to use my Apple TV 4K most times. The only app the ATV 4K does not support that I use on the Roku is Google Play. However most of the films I have purchased on Google Play have ported over iTunes and VUDU thanks to Movies Anywhere but there are always a few exceptions.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #11339 of 11608 Old 03-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Not sure if the support on your Samsung for YT, Netflix, ect will last beyond a year. This has happened with both of my Sony TVs.

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
post #11340 of 11608 Old 03-17-2019, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Roku forum reporting latest OS9 has jacked up some TV's royally. Personally I'd not buy a TV with the video streamer technology built in.

Amazon Prime for any UK shows for me totally out of sync again. Perfect on my Sony bluray and my AppleTV 4K.

My guess is ROKU OS9 messed up again with the 25hz UK video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
hdr , roku ultra , settings , ultra hd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page